Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    yeah, that's pretty good. Seems like $2K under MSRP is the going rate right now. But since I have time, my goal is $3.5-4K under MSRP since someone from Texas is already getting $3K under MSRP.
  • khortonkhorton Member Posts: 3
    Are the running boards worth it? How do they look on the MDX. Also, I can't decide between Black and Silver. Any suggestions on one over the other?

Thanks,
    Keith
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Consider doing them or the sidesteps yourself. I got mine at hondacuraworld...they had them for $349 on special...whew I was lucky as they are $450 now. The install took about 3 hours. I just needed to buy a torque wrench at sears...another few $$'s but I now can use it as I torque down the hitch I am adding. Check on the web and call local dealers, it seems like part prices are about the same across the board now(there is no tax/shipping at hondacuraworld though).

As far as worth it? My son uses them to climb in and out, the boards are curved at the end, so they sort of don't have a flat surface where you would put your foot down getting out of the rear doors. The steps probably don't have that issue, but my wife was concerned about kids hands and feet getting caught in the space around the steps. For kids I think they are worth it, adults it is a crap shoot. They do look nice.

We got silver. I saw a black one in the parking lot at work the other day, it was all cleaned up, it looked sweet. However...I have owned a black car before, clean there is nothing better, they get dirty fast. Our silver even manages to somewhat hide the green haze that has settled over everything in our neighborhood. I don't think the silver is as sharp as the black, but it looks 90% good all the time.
  • khortonkhorton Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info on hondacuraworld.com. Looks like a great site. Any thoughts on the entertainment system include by Acura as opposed to an aftermarket system?
    You should search the other MDX boards and the pilot forum...this has been discussed many times.

sbcooke "Acura MDX Owners: Accessories & Modifications" May 3, 2003 8:07am
  • lynnwoodmdxlynnwoodmdx Member Posts: 2
    I got mine in Seattle area for $200 under MSRP(38.6k) for MDX with the touring package. (Be the way, this is the Costco program price.) They would not come down on the price. I am able to get them throw in the Protection Package (All weather mats, wheel lock, etc..), wooden shift knob, and 5 free oil changes.

I think this is just an average deal for MDX, but I was able to trade in my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for $9500. The Kelly blue book was $8600 for trade-in. They first offered me $7500 for the jeep. My Jeep has 2 major problems in Differential area and Transmission area. I went around for estimate, and the shops told me in order to fix both problems, I am looking at at least $1500, and I am sure they will find some more things wrong once they tear things apart. Due to these 2 problems, I am not comfortable to sell it to private party. That's why I need to trade-in. Well, they test-drived it and they didn't find the problems.

I guess the trick to the negotiation is be reasonable and be ready to leave if they don't come close to what you want.

Good luck to you all in getting a good deal. This board is very helpful.
    For the current 2003 MDX, definitely go with the Silver/Ebony leather. The reason is because black pearl looks great, but only with chrome finishes. On the current MDX, the grill is black with the exception of a thin line and the "A" symbol. Now on the back side where there are plenty of chrome, it looks awesome. On the side view, it looks awesome too because of the chrome handles. It's the front end that would suffer. With Silver, the black front grill stands out from the Silver color instead of blending in with the black pearl exterior.
  • lynnwoodmdxlynnwoodmdx Member Posts: 2
    I got mine in Seattle area for $200 under MSRP(38.6k) for MDX with the touring package. (Be the way, this is the Costco program price.) They would not come down on the price. I am able to get them throw in the Protection Package (All weather mats, wheel lock, etc..), wooden shift knob, and 5 free oil changes.

I think this is just an average deal for MDX, but I was able to trade in my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for $9500. The Kelly blue book was $8600 for trade-in. They first offered me $7500 for the jeep. My Jeep has 2 major problems in Differential area and Transmission area. I went around for estimate, and the shops told me in order to fix both problems, I am looking at at least $1500, and I am sure they will find some more things wrong once they tear things apart. Due to these 2 problems, I am not comfortable to sell it to private party. That's why I need to trade-in. Well, they test-drived it and they didn't find the problems.

I guess the trick to the negotiation is be reasonable and be ready to leave if they don't come close to what you want.

Good luck to you all in getting a good deal. This board is very helpful.
    Don't even think about, man! The MDX is a beautiful machine and it deserves the best parts, not some aftermarket stuff! Besides, the Acura Factory DVD RES only costs $1,500. Heck, the after market stuff will costs you at least $1,000 and it won't look anywhere as good as the factory RES.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    There is really wide range of aftermarket DVD systmes available. For $1500 you can definately get a system that has performance rivaling the factory system AND a skilled installer can integrate that unit just as well as the OEM unit.

Prices on bare-bones portable DVD players are under $350, and dropping fast.

Another thing to keep in mind, when you get the OEM DVD system with NAV they do not give you the indash CD player, it is moved to an under the seat unit.
    Are you sure it's under the seat? I saw the brochure in which the DVD player is in the front dash below the 12v power outlet. So the picture it showed was the NAV screen AND the DVD player both in the front dash. Is that false advertisement?
  • painfreedocpainfreedoc Member Posts: 6
    I got a quote of 2300 below msrp for a mdx with nav/dvd in texas and they will deliver it to Ct for anywhere from 600-800.
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Member Posts: 47
    Thanks.
  • brandonhoangbrandonhoang Member Posts: 5
    hi all,

I found one MDX that i like, i was just wondering whether this is a good price or not, any input would be appreciated.

2002 Acura MDX Touring
    Mileage: 6 K
    Color: Red
    Price: 36,995

Thanks everyone

Brandon
    If I were you, I would get a brand new one and get $2K off MSRP if I just wanted the Touring package. If I'm getting the NAV too, I wouldn't buy unless I got $3K off MSRP. It has been done so it is not impossible. Around OKC and Dallas, the discount is already at $2K off. Why buy a used vehicle for almost the same price?
    I think it is too high. You are better off getting lower financing on a new (used typically isn't as good) and having the same monthly payment.

$36K is about MSRP...$29K-$31K is more reasonable in my opinion.
  • stup2stup2 Member Posts: 2
    This is for folks in bay area who are looking for an MDX.
    I got my MDX > $1500 below MSRP at Pleasanton Acura. I checked with
    others Acura dealers around, none of them could beat the deal.

I contacted the Internet sale agent, she got back, in writing, that they are having an Internet special and the price of the MDXs with touring pkg ~$1500 below MSRP. I went there and got the car.

Of course, there will be some negotiation with the accessories, so
    be prepared, check out their prices (in hondacuraworld.com) first then negotiate accordingly.

Had good experiences with Acura of Pleasanton -
  • kudo_18kudo_18 Member Posts: 3
    Stup2, did the deal throws in any free accessories in your deal? I'm looking for a MDX touring + Navi, so MSRP - $1.5k + tax and fees = ~$42.8k... Is that the going price in the Bay Area?
  • onelgsonelgs Member Posts: 38
    I'm certain that my sales manager didn't tell me not to use BP (Amoco) gasoline because he LOVES to make up stories!!!! His information was based on ALL the Acura's that have been brought in for engine problems during and after the 2002/2003 winter ended. The service department concluded that the engine problems WERE caused by all these owners using BP (Amoco) gasoline BECAUSE in order to keep their underground tanks from freezing, during *winter months* BP (Amoco) adds SIGNIFICANT amounts of alcohol... more then any other gasoline company!

This added alcohol has caused major havoc on ACURA (not only MDX) engines! Once these owners switched to a different brand... the problems stopped!

I posted this information as an FYI at the end of March because I did and do believe it to be factual and as far as I'm concerned, my sales manager has nothing to gain by providing me with this information... while on the other hand, by not using BP (Amoco) gas in my MDX, I *will* not encounter any engine problems caused by the type of gasoline I use... especially in winter months!

This is NOT a "dealers LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to make up stories" situation as YOU have stated in your post!

Lidia
    In your post #341 you wrote...

"Are you sure it's under the seat? I saw the brochure in which the
          DVD player is in the front dash below the 12v power outlet. So the
          picture it showed was the NAV screen AND the DVD player both in
          the front dash. Is that false advertisement?"

NO, this is NOT false advertisement! However, there is some INCORRECT information being posted on this board by those pushing after-market installation.

My MDX has FACTORY installed DVD, CD changer and NAV system. The *DVD player* IS located just as you've stated, below the NAV screen and directly under the 12v power outlet and YES *in* the front dash! Further, if you purchase the factory installed DVD unit, you will also receive 3 auxiliary jacks which are very conveniently located INSIDE the 3rd row seat (passenger side) armrest... these can be used to add a VCR or electronic game systems such as Nintendo or to plug in headphones for 3rd row passengers.

What is located under the front passenger seat IS the NAVIGATION system unit!

Also, the *in-dash* CD player allows me to play single CD's... The 6 disk CD changer is located under the driver's seat and very easy to access.

Lidia
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    I did not mean to imply that your dealer was any different than any other, or that you were singled out for this story. I have seen innumerable occasions when rather then saying "We don't know what was wrong with a vehicle", the dealership will offer up an explanation that has NO SCIENTIFIC BASIS!

Put simply, EVERY state has an department assigned to monitor the quality of gasoline, some do an excellent thorough job, others a barely adequate job, but there is NO possible way that ANY brand of gasoline is uniformly BAD. Even considering JUST the FREEZING issue, this is simply a scientific impossibility. First, gasoline has a freezing point WELL BELOW an temperature that would be encountered in any normally habited region on earth,well below -40 Celsius. Second, alcohol COSTS MONEY, much more than gasoline. It would make ZERO economic sense for BP (or any other fuel seller) to add MORE alcohol to gasoline. And if freezing is the problem, then how much alcohol is "enough". The freezing pt of ethanol is -114 Celsius. {if the problem were WATER in the fuel how would that effect ALL stations that sold a brand, how would the UNDERGROUND tank EVER fall to < -40 Celsius???} Third, there are FEDERAL REGULATIONS that be would violated by adding more alcohol than specified to gasoline.

Is it POSSIBLE that a specific brand of gasoline caused some specific performance problem? In the theoretical sense, it may be {though ALL fuel companies have a staff that researches formulations to ensure that they perform well with ALL vehicle brands...}. More likely, ONE STATION may have gotten some contaminated fuel, and QUICKLY resolved that issue.

Is it LIKELY that a specific brand of gasoline can CONTINUE to cause performance problems? NO! That company would soon be out of business.

Have you heard of the "power of suggestion"? Scenario: Driver A takes vehicle in for service. Techs can't find a specific issue but believe problem may have been fuel related. Service writer asks if driver A remembers what kind of gas purchased. Responses is "BP". (NOTE: driver A may NOT have purchased BP at all, just that they remembered BP, maybe from their frequent ads...) Similar thing happens with driver B. When it gets to driver C, service writer is NOW asking "Do you use BP gas?" Driver C (and D and subsequent...) are now all going along with service writer...

Don't feel bad, I AM NOT ATTACKING YOU! I am however DEFINITELY going to stick by my "dealers LOVE to make up stories"! If the car dealer had ANY REAL evidence they should a) contact the LEGAL AUTHORITIES to verify that brand is selling altered fuel b) contact the MEDIA who be happy to launch an EXPOSE c) contact a LAW FIRM who be happy to begin the process of certifying a harmed class for as class action lawsuit!

BTW I am BP shareholder and they have had RECORD sales & profits of late...
    Thanks for the information, Lidia!
    The MDX is great. Can't wait to get one, but I heard a rumor that a new one will be coming out soon for 2004. I'm waiting to see what kind of improvements they have.
  • stup2stup2 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer lowered the price and tried to get the money back from the accessories -
    I did not get any free throw ins but did not pay the ridiculous mark up prices for the accessories either.
  • kudo_18kudo_18 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Stup2, mind emailing me some additional information regarding your purchase? Almost brought a touring + Navi over the weekend for 41k + tax and fees. Please email me at kudo_18@yahoo.com
  • jskullyjskully Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,

I am looking for a 03 MDX Touring w/Nav in the Midwest...I would just like to know where the best deals are...I would like to be 2K or below on MSRP...Where are the best deals in the Midwest??? Thanks...
    I got an offer from the Acura dealer in OKC for $2K off MSRP already. But I'm not happy with that! I think $3K off MSRP is what we need to expect, although I would wait until the end of the year to get the best deals. I won't stop until I can get $4K off MSRP. There is a dealer out there who wants to sell for the numbers to get the extra bonus money towards the end of the year!
  • jskullyjskully Member Posts: 2
    Hi Andrew,

I dont disagree with you at all...I truly think that Acura/Honda has purposely shorted supply to increase demand...They did the same thing with the CRV...But the trick is finding a dealer out there in the US who is willing to deal...How do you find them??? Let me know your thoughts...
  • shelly17shelly17 Member Posts: 3
    Please help me all you lease savvy MDXers out there. I just put a deposit down on a 2003 MDX touring with rear entertainment system. I leased it for 48 months with 12,ooo miles per year. With $2500 down at inception, my payments are $525 per month. What is preventing me from lease comparisons is the down payment. Is this a good deal or am I shorting myself on the mileage on a 48 month lease. Thanks!(I'm in NJ)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This discussion in FWI may be of interest to you.

Lease Questions - Ask Here
  • rajaarajaa Member Posts: 2
    We got our 2003 MDX base model for $600 below MSRP at Montclair Acura . + 2 free oil changes and free all season matts.
    For the accessories we took a quote from the internet and they matched it .
    Had a very pleasant experience dealing with them.
  • shelly17shelly17 Member Posts: 3
    Rajaa - I just deposited on an MDX at Montclair Acura. It is comforting to know that you had a good experience there, I always feel like I'm being fleeced. Please tell me about the accessories. Also, did you lease? My salesman was Eng and I also spoke with Tom Wang. I hope I made a good deal. They say my car will be in by the end of June. I hope this is the case. I am anxious! Thanks!
    Not sure where in the Midwest you're located but my MDX (w/touring, NAV and DVD) purchase was in central Ohio and the price was $1,600 below MSRP... If you'd like further information, please feel free to email me.

Lidia
  • brandonhoangbrandonhoang Member Posts: 5
    If you're from Ohio area, the dealership that's prefered by Lidia here is the way to go (thanks Lidia for the great info.). All you do is contact them and tell them that you're prefered from Lidia from this board, then they'll take 1.6K off of the MSRP price with no question to ask. Since Ohio is 7-8 hrs from where i live, so i've tried to look for s dealership a bit closer, but most of dealership won't give you any discount; most of them are selling at the sticker price. However, I was able to find one dealership from the twin area (Minnesota), and one is from Wisconsin area that are willing to knock off 1K, and also some discount if you're buying accessories. So if you're around those area and need help, drop me a line at hoang_brandon@hotmail.com
    Well, for me in OKC, what I would do is e-mail the dealers in Texas, OKC, and Tulsa, but do it one at a time. Say one dealer in Texas offered my $2K off. I would use that and email the next dealer around there to beat the price. So the game goes on and on until I've used up all the dealers in the Dallas metro. Then I would e-mail the one in Tulsa. Then finally, I would use that to email the one in OKC.
    I'm not planning on buying an '03 MDX. I think there are still room for improvements. I mean look at the Honda Accord V6 with NAV. The leather is not perforated. The Steering wheel is telescopic with better and more control buttons. The instrument panel is self-illuminating like the Lexus LS430. And last but not least, the Honda Accord V6 w/NAV comes with side-curtain airbags for both rows. I hope the new MDX will have airbags for all three rows. And then look at the new Acura RL's front grill. There's more chrome. But that's my game plan for buying the MDX. I believe someone has already bought one for $3K off MSRP in Ohio--look at previous posts. Have you heard of the new Toyota Sienna? It's brand new model and hardly any dealers are selling them for any less than MSRP. But I know one person who was able to buy one for OVER $4K under MSRP. How did he do it? He used the emailing game I mentioned. He lives in San Diego and he ended up emailing about 30 different dealers around the country. So for us to get the best deal on the MDX, we must be persistant and not take "No" for an answer. I truely believe that I can get $4K under MSRP for a brand new MDX. But just for fun, I emailed just one dealer in OKC and got an offer for $2K under MSRP already. The point is, even if these dealers sell the MDX for invoice (or 2% over invoice), they are making at least $2K in profits from the dealer hold back and from the bonus for selling a certain numbers of vehicles. Wouldn't you feel a little upset if you had bought one for $2K under MSRP and then later seeing my post that I got my MDX for $4K under MSRP? That's my thoughts.
  • rajaarajaa Member Posts: 2
    shelly17 ;- We bought the 2003 base model .
    We bought Moonroof visor , side steps and roof rack (took the internet price . they matched it ).i.e. no insallation cost .and they gave us all
    season floor mats , cargo tray and 2 oil changes free. We got our car within 4 days (although they did not have it in stock !)
    Wishing you luck .
  • bqmdbqmd Member Posts: 16
    Frank Leta Acura in St. Louis offered me a 2004 MDX-T-REX (DVD/Entertainment) for the 2003 price $40,300 (MSRP price). Can someone give me advice on this?
    Don't do it, man!
    That's only $700 off MSRP and you should get at least $2K off MSRP for an MDX w/DVD RES. That's my opinion.
  • sdginzsdginz Member Posts: 1
    There were several of you looking for a vehicle in the midwest. I live in Chicago where there are 9 dealers. I did some pretty serious legwork and was able to purchase a 2003 MDX Touring/Nav for $1800 off with several accessories at true dealer cost. Perhaps not the best deal in the country, but in this area I was satisfied.
  • svalleysvalley Member Posts: 30
    sdginz,

Did you get $1800 off from more than 1 dealership? Can you tell more your deal either post here or email me at svalley8@yahoo.com? $1800 might not be the best deal in the country, but with the tax credit(~7%) on my trade-in, it will become close to 3.5K off out of state purchase.

Thanks in advanced.
  • viervillevierville Member Posts: 5
    A dealer in the Washington DC area offered me $700 off MSRP for an MDX Touring with Navigation system. I know this is not good enough, but I called around and could only got $1000 max off MSRP. Please advise for pricing of MDX with Touring package and Navigation in the Washington DC area. I would appreciate a direct email to vierville@yahoo.com. Thanks.
  • mdx4memdx4me Member Posts: 1
    sdginz,

I also live in the Chicago area. After talking to 4 dealers around here, $1800 sounds great. Can you please post your dealer contact info here, or just email me directly at qudrathm@yahoo.com. I'll be sure to mention your name to them so that you can get something for referring me. Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A major daily newspaper is looking to interview folks who purchased a car for over sticker price since the beginning of this year. If you have a story to share, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information by May 28, 2003.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• azmdxr2bazmdxr2b Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any recommendations on dealers to contact for 2003 MDX? I'm looking to buy now but would love any help I can get to make the journey easier.
  • rpram1rpram1 Member Posts: 18
    Also in STL and starting the MDX hunt. Any ideas on what to expect when hunting smaller game, like a 2003 Touring without NAV and RES. bqmd - How easy was it to do business with Leta?
  • megasuvmegasuv Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks,

Does anybody know what's the going price for
    the running board. I can't find them on the net.

Thanks.
  • bqmdbqmd Member Posts: 16
    No luck. Both Acura dealers in STL offered me $40,300 on the MDX with DVD/touring. The 2004's won't be available until this fall. I don't want to buy a 2003 for the same price of the 2004's. Are you in STL? Have you had any luck?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    www.hondacuraworld.com has them for $445. There is a $2 handling fee, free shipping, no sales tax outside of New York. I've bought stuff from them before and their service is top-notch.
  • sajayreddysajayreddy Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
       Today I purchased an Acura MDX 2003, Touring Package+Running boards+All weather floor mats+ Wheels locks for 41k exactly including TAX and DMV fees. Can someone let me know if this was a good deal. Purchased it from Stevens Creek Acura, Santa clara, CA.

Thanks in advance!
  • gstaleyintxgstaleyintx Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an Acura MDX at David McDavid Acura in Plano, TX. Here are details. Let me know if you'd like to speak to the salesman who was very professional and helpful. I did everthing over email and was in and out in an hour to complete the purchase:

2003 Acura MDX Touring with DVD Entertainment system (YD187)
    Color-Satin Silver
    MSRP-$40,300
    Sales Price-$37,300+ttl

48month lease/12,000mi per year with $649 down, residual 53% using tax credits
    Pmt = $499/month
    Money factor used was approx. 0.0023.
  • lgtg1lgtg1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I'm curious if individuals are somehow financially penalized for out-of-state car purchases by the state they register the vehicle in? I thought that I read somewhere on this board that that was an issue, however I have noticed that several individuals have gone to Ohio because they have received great deals on the MDX. I'm moving to the DC area next week, and it seems that MDX prices in the DC area have not really dropped as much as other areas of the country. Once we get settled into our new home, I'm going to start looking for a great deal on an MDX in the DC area. If not, I'm willing to travel to find that great deal. Thanks in advance for any information.