Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford '99 Super Duty Delivery Issues

richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
edited March 2014 in Ford
I've ordered a '99 F-250 Super Duty some time in
February. The delivery date was to be this week. No
such luck. The truck is on the build list for the
week of April 12.

My dealer was explaining a few things. First, Ford
is about 50,000 vehicles behind in deliverys. It's
not due to production problems but rather rail
road car problems. It seems that Union Pacific
merged and (To quote the dealer) "their computer
systems didn't." Of the 50,000 vehicles, either 20
or 30 thousand have been contracted to be delivered
by truck car carriers. The dealer further stated
that he has over a dozen Explorers on railroad cars
that NOBODY can tell him where they are.

So much for the generic stuff.

The super duty line was started and built one
phase of trucks. This phase is intended to iron out
the problems of the vehicle assembly process
itself. This week, the "Job 1" starts and these
vehicles have the do-do inspected out of them. The
Job 1 phase is intended to remove any production
line bugs. Everything on the Job 1 phase vehicles
are then fixed and vehicles are shipped. The dealer
says that the Job 1 phase is probably the best
place to get a vehicle from. What they do is then
take what has been learned from these 2 phases and
start production in earnest.

The Job 1 line started about three weeks late. I'm
guessing that the regular phase of production will
start 3-4 weeks late. So the June delivery dates
are probably going to slip into July or worse.

My dealer told me that the Super Duty trucks are
on a very strict allocation basis. He says that he
only has an allocation of 12 from the Job 1 phase.
He said that the middle part of the country is
getting a higher allocation of trucks. Fortunately
my vehicle is order number 0005.

Soooooooooooo if it REALLY gets built this week
and shipped on Friday, 4/17, and it is shipped by
truck, and the car carrier doesn't get stolen, and
the car carrier driver doesn't decide to stop off
home first, and no earthquake............ Maybe
I'll have my baby the first week in May. If the
shipping is by Union Pacific, it could be Labor
day.

Rich

Comments

• BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Rich...

but I cry every time I hear a delay! The good news is that, after hearing the delay with our buddies who ordered Dodges, I prepped myself for 12 weeks. I'm anticipating a mid-June delivery date. I won't even call my dealer until about week 8-9. He already called me to confirm the order had been sent.
  • MerleMerle Member Posts: 8
    Rich
    Yuk, I sure did not want to hear that but I guess we have no choice but to stand in line and wait. I ordered an F250 2wd Mar 10 and was given a 12 week leadtime. They told me that the 4x4's were longer yet. I am going to call my dealer and get a ETA (estimated time of arrival), if it means anything.
  • jdbjdb Member Posts: 20
    I ordered my F350 4X4 on March 5 and still don't even have a build date...leta alone an ETA...
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    That railroad merger screwed everybody up...

I'm actually surprised that Ford is "only" 50K units behind. The SuperDuty line is (so far) just at the Louisville plant, and Ford is bragging about having 175,000 orders, or half the total Dodge Ram production. I know Ford has extra space in that building because they sold off the heavy truck line, but in order to bang that many trucks out in a year would mean 560 trucks a *day* on a 6 day/52 week production schedule.

Just a little quick for me to screw together something that could have to give its life to save a human one...
  • kirkpamakirkpama Member Posts: 64
    I ordered a 1999 F250 on March 31st, and they haven't pickup up my order yet. The dealer said that he is allocated 4 units next week and he is trying to get them moved up to this week. I doubt he will have any luck moving those allocations up after hearing everyone elses order stories. He did say that mine is priority 11 and that a 10 is the highest priority and he doesn't have any 10s, so mine should go on order next week. He also said that if I haven't ordered anything that causes it to be help up, that I should get it in about 5 weeks. I won't hold my breath, but it would be nice it he was right.
    Kirkpapa,

5 Weeks???? I wonder what your dealer's been smoking. FYI, your order should get picked up every week (on Thursdays). Priority 11 is only meaningful with your dealer, not any one else's. Besides, he could make everyone in the door from now on a 10.

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm afraid we all have a long wait...
    jdb

You're right about the priority 11 only being meaningful to my dealer. That is what I meant about the priority. He did say that they can only order the 1999 trucks according to allocations. If they are not allocated any this week, which they aren't, then he can't order any. He is allocated 4 for next week. Unless he has been smoking something, he will be able to order 4 1999 trucks next week. If my order is clean, and he doesn't make someone else a priority 10, then my truck should get ordered. Like I said, I'm not holding my breath. I'm just hoping the wait isn't as long as everyone is expecting.
    Keep us posted on your progress!!

P.S. When you get your DORA (order receipt), find out what your actual priority is. It's in the upper right hand corner.

When I ordered mine, the sales jerk said I was going in as a 10 but the DORA showed 13. When I asked him about it, his response was he was overruled by the sales manager. Just B.S.
    jdb

My Vehicle Order Confirmation shows it as order number 6774, priority: 11, order type: 1, price level: 911. I feel like the dealer is being honest with me. This is the 3rd truck that I have ordered from him and he is the manager of this dealership. I hope he is being trueful with me. I'll keep you posted.
    My Vehicle Order Confirmation shows my truck was order number 8888, priority 20, order type 2, price level 911. I was told 12 weeks. Order date was 3/24.
  • CatscanCatscan Member Posts: 9
    Whether you guys know it or not, there are a ton of us praying for each of you on a regular basis. I know what it's like to wait anxiously for your truck to arrive.(I equate it to fatherhood) Chewing on your fingernails, checking the calendar daily, peeking at Edmund's every night to see who got lucky. Anyway I know it isn't the same situation, but I was quoted a delivery date of 6-8 weeks for the F-150 I ordered on March 18th, and it was delivered today 4 1/2 weeks after I ordered it. So try not to despair...The stork may deliver your babies to you sooner than you expect. In the mean time, Good Luck. I'll be watching for responses to the '99F-250 SuperDuties when they begin to arrive. In case any of you who have already graduated to the next level of Trucks cares; I got the F-150 XLT SuperCab 4WD Long Bed. Can't wait to pick it up in 8 hours when my dealership opens.
  • AirCatAirCat Member Posts: 16
    Who really knows what Order number, Priority, Order Type, and Price Level really mean?

By the way my Odrder num is 3222, Priority 39, Order type 1 and price level 910. The sales mgr told me that even though my priority number is real high, I may still get my truck before someone with a much lower number from another dealership because his dealership moves a lot more trucks they also get more? Any comments? Thanks.
    I don't have a clue what the numbers mean. It appears the priority number is related to the dealership. In other words, my 20 has no relationship to your 39 or someone elses 11. The price and order type are probably the same throughout the nation. So far, I'm the only one who seems to have an order type 2. I'm wondering if that doesn't have something to do with the Lariat package. I know they didn't have the leather interiors until early April, so maybe they coded those differently. It might also be related to the F-350 4x4, since most people seem to be ordering the F-250.
    could be the Lariat Pkg, though I dont know at all, any other Lariat orders want to respond?

It is not the F350 4x4 or V10 Brutus cause I ordered F350 V10 4x4, mine is XLT though
  • richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    I'm so happy I could just poop!

I have a VIN number!!!

The dealer said it was probably built this week.

Now sit down for this one.....
    My dealer said that he ordered two for me. He screwed up on the first order and didn't put the two tone nor the remote control mirrors on this one. It is an XLT power stroke super cab F-250. AND IT IS ON THE LOT! (White in color, 2x4, LWB large tires, slide rear window auto trans, bench seat and positraction rear end 3.73:1)

It is in the South LA Metro area. Drop me an E-Mali and I'l give you the dealer details if you want an all white one.

Rich
    From what I've heard, the dealers are looking to get pretty close to MSRP for the ones on the lot because there are so few. It's a pretty good selling point when he tells someone who walks in off that street and is drooling over the vehicle that he can drive away with the truck today for MSRP or he can wait 12 weeks and save a few bucks. Of course, then he will tell them the stories about the problems with the rail service and the always possible labor disputes that might arise and the large number of orders pending, etc.

Glad to hear you got your truck. When did you order it?
    I meant to say, glad to hear you almost have your truck.
    My order type is a 1 and I ordered an F250 XLT. I didn't want the leather seats, so I went with the XLT and added the rest of the options to bring it up to the Lariat package. I ordered it on March 31st. I get the feeling that the order number, priority, type or level don't mean as much as allocations do. My dealer said that without an allocation, he can take an order and put it into the system, but Ford won't pick it up. He can order 1 truck for every allocation that he has. My dealer has 4 allocations for this week, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Brutus,
    I ordered in mid February.

Kirkpama,
    I did EXACTLY what you did and for EXACTLY the same reasons.

My dealer is selling at about $1200 over invoice. This turns out to be about the best in the area. I went through a few of the web based "Buying Services". Actually a joke. The first wanted $300 over MSRP. The second started at $1500 over invoice, maybe, depending upon demand. Wanted a grand upfront before anything would be done. For this area I'm doing ok. Not as good as later this year but ok.
    I had no success with the internet services either. However, I did get my dealer from someone on this site. I will have to take at look at past post and offer to buy him a beer after I get my truck.

By the way, I went with the leather, not because it's luxurious, but because it's easier to clean. The deciding factor was when a friend related a story about having his young daughter, shall we say, not be able to hold her water on a trip home. He had to have a heavy duty detailing to get rid of the stain and the corresponding aroma.
    My shopping went like this:
    1. Printed a quote on the New SuperDuty from the KellyBB site with all the options I wanted.
    2. Printed 2 quotes on my Old Blazer 1 at avg book and 1 at high.
    3. Printed an offer from me Showing that I wanted 90% of high book on my trade and wanted to pay Exactly the dealer invoice (incl uding dest and delivery) for the new truck.

They counter offerred $250 over inv, I countered with $100 over and we shook hands and entered the order!
  • MerleMerle Member Posts: 8
    Brutus ... I ordered the F250 w/ Lariat package and my order is labeled Type 1. I don't have the foggiest notion what any of it means.
  • sussex88sussex88 Member Posts: 5
    All the talk about dealer allocations has brought a need for me to reply. Dealer allocations has nothing to do with orders being placed. If a dealer is allocated 10 a month, they get that amount, no matter how many orders they put in. A dealer can also help you in placing priorities on a pick-up. So you might what to include a 12 pack of their favorite brew when you place your order
    I just got back from a trip to Oregon and a dealer there had a dozen 99s on the lot. The real kicker though is that he was advertising them in the paper at about 10% under MSRP!!!!

He had a F-350 V10 with about everything I wanted except it's a 4X2. I still haven't got a build date and boy was I tempted to grab it. Also, there is no sales tax in Oregon, but if I registered in CA within 3 months I'd still have to pay here. Still....it means there are trucks out there!!!!!
  • loharalohara Member Posts: 1
    I guess I am lucky because I have had a better time than most of you. After checking on a local dealer's pricing, I called a couple of dealers in rural locations.

The first was $400 over invoice, but added another $200 of undercoating, etc. The second was more competitive (I promised not to tell on the internet!), and said he expected 4-8 weeks for delivery.

He was not lying! I got my truck exactly 4 weeks from the day I faxed him an order. Here is what I bought:

'99 F350, SRW, PSD, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Lariat (with leather), 6 spd, Camper and Trailer Tow, ABS, Off Road, Clearance Lights, Hitch, Power Mirrors, Privacy Glass, CD.

The dealer was Larry Schronce in Taylorsville, NC.

Wayne Burstein
    Nice to hear a delivery success story. Let's see, it's been three weeks since I ordered my truck, so I should get it next week, right? In my dreams! Congrats Wayne!
    Well I received a build date today! May 4th. That will make it 8 1/2 weeks from order entry.

Now get this, they say the truck will be in California by 5/18. Only 2 weeks after build. Let's hope tis isn't a pipe dream....
    jbd,
    I was also tempted to do the Oregon thing. I even have a way to deal with the registration in Oregon ($39 for TWO years) and driver's licence. The kicker was the insurance. If you get stopped in CA with OR driver's licence and registration why would you have CA insurance? A really big problem! If you have OR insurance and a claim from CA the insurance company wants you to justify the CA accident. It was the insurance thing that I could never get around.
    Rich
    Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel, since my order was just placed a week after yours. Hope they didn't get three weeks worth of orders during that week.
    Ed
  • mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    Wow, talk about where are the trucks! I ordered my f250 4x4 power stroke and loaded back in the first week of Feb. I last spoke to the dealer about two weeks ago and he said I had a delivery date of May 11. But, the rail car problems was the first thing mentioned and he said {sales manager handled my order} it could be two more weeks plus beyond that. I really do not have a problem with that, it gives me time to sell my f150 and arrange my own financing. Who really knows it's like a game if you ask me and I'm buying from a dealer in southern NJ who moves some trucks. Maybe since I was not in a hurry he gave me a lower priority, I do'nt even know if they can give you a lower priority!
    Spoke with my sales mgr today. He sez I may see a build date confirmation next week. No gaurantee. He also told me that Order Type:1 means pre-sold order, and Order Type:2 means order for dealer stock. Brutus this seems funny to me if your order is a type 2. Maybe your dealer figured he could get one for stock faster for you?
    Interesting. Maybe they get a certain allotment for stock and a certain number for orders. Who knows? If I haven't heard from him after five weeks (5/4), I'll probably give him a call and start bugging him about a build date. I talked to him briefly last week, but I was calling to hook up with their finance people. It sounds like they match the rate quoted by my credit union, so I may go through them for convenience as long as there are no hidden charges in the financing.
    After all the discussion I read last night I thought I would call the sales mgr. today and ask a few questions that you guys brought up. Basically you have the correct info. My date has not been changed in terms of the delivery but the factory reserves the right to change it if need be. I'm on a 5/11 delivery date and I suspect it will change when we get a little closer due to the rail car problems. You'd figure Ford would go all out to build these vehicles and deliver ASAP, but I now see the true reality.

I also found out that several trucks have come to the dealers less an option or two that people have requested. He told me they obviously have to make good and order what ever is missing. I just have a gut feeling some like that will happen to me because I went with so many options. I'll hold my breath when that truck comes in as I go over my quote and the delivery invoice.
    Allotments are for the dealership only and not for orders. A dealership can order as many trucks as they want. And yes a dealership can set priorites. So i would guess that whoever paid more over invoice would possibly see their truck first.
  • rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    Just a quick note for all you guys waiting on your new babys. I got a new work truck about six months ago, F350 CC 460, and when I was washing it the 1st time I noticed small black and rust colored specks on the paint. Its white and we scrubbed to try to get them off but no dice. One of the guys I work with is a certified truck nut/ clean freak and he also owns a 95 F150 which is white also and had the same problem when it was delivered. He called his dealer and they told him its common and the specks are railcar brake dust. He took it in and they buffed it out but he still wasnt happy with it. He got in a wreck a short time later and the front clip was replaced at that time, Which is where most of the specks seem to be on both the trucks. I hope it helps one of you out. You have to look close to see them, most of them are on the hood. Good luck and may the railroad unions not strike.One more thing, both trucks are XL's.
    I heard today that V-10s were now a HOLD and causing further delays on orders. Anyone else heard anything about this???
    I talked to my dealer yesterday and he said that my order had not been picked up, but that I didn't order anything that was on hold. I ordered the V-10. He said that Ford hadn't pick up any orders from his dealership as of Friday. He hadn't seen the information from Saturday yet. He said that they pick up the orders over the weekend sometimes.
    I just talked to my dealer and my order finally got picked up last night and I should have a production date in a day or two. The dealer said that my order was clean or it would not have been picked up. I ordered the V-10, so there is not hold on the V-10s. I ordered my truck on March 31st and my dealer wasn't allocated any until last week and Ford moved his allocations to this week. I still believe that they can take all the orders they want, but Ford will only pick up these order based on allocations.
    Straight from the Union Pacific Railroad. There are 31,000 new trucks and minivans tied up from the plant waiting to be delievered to the dealers. The shortage of the railcars are due to the size of the trucks requiring a bi-car and not the usual tri-car used to transport cars. It seems the RR does not have as many bi-cars as tri-cars.
    I forgot to add that this pertains to Ford plants only. Who knows how many are tied up with the big 3 combined.
  • rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    Is it impossible to pick your new truck up at the plant?. Avioding the delivery problems alltogether seems like an option if they would let a guy do it. May be once the railcar issue is labled a crisis they would be willing to bend what rules they have against picking up one directly from the plant. Keep the 640 bucks, fly up there and drive it home.
    The $640 is an average destination charge spread out over all vehicles. That's why the destination charge is the same for vehicles shipped to Alaska as they are for vehicles sold in Louisville where they are built. Even if you picked it up at the factory, you'd have to pay the destination charge. Plus, the dealers would be against it. That's the first step towards factory direct sales.
  • drozdroz Member Posts: 30
    A farmer that rents land from me drove up in a new F-350 diesel and didn't seem to have any problems getting it. He said he ordered it awhile ago and it came in quickly. This is the Midwest so maybe it is quicker. I am still waiting for mine.
    Hey droz, where in the mid west are you, I'll trade you my new f250 diesel for some prime time pheasant and quail hunting! Ok , when and if I get delivery! HAHA Hey a little humor never hurts.

Mroffshore
  • drozdroz Member Posts: 30
    I have a bunch of properties in Milwaukee but the farm that I also own is about 40 miles away in a accurately named town called Farmington WI where everyone drives big trucks and use them for good reasons, rather than picking up groceries. It is definitely a pleasure to roam the wilds there. I am anticipating driving my F-250 all through the fields, maybe even before the snow comes. I should have ordered it up there; I would have it already.
    I just called my dealer and found out that my 99 F250 is scheduled to arrive on May 25th. I ordered it on March 31st, and the factory picked up the order on April 30th. I shouldn't have any problems with the rail strike. I live in West Virginia and the trucks are delivered here by truck from Kentucky. For everyone who is still waiting, I hope your wait is shorter than expected.
    I just spoke with my salesperson. I'm at week #5. He said that my order has not been pulled yet. He said the allotment for this region (Oklahoma area) was more than Ford projected. The good news is that it doesn't impact most people who have ordered. The problem is the premium wheels that go with the Lariat package. The salesperson handling my sale says that he has three orders that have been impacted. The dealer is trying to reprioritize the orders to get them picked up as soon as possible.

The good news for those of you that did not order the Lariat is that it appears most of the other delays have been ironed out. My dealer took an order for one of the non-Lariats a week or so before mine. It's due in at the dealership today. That makes the order time about 6-7 weeks. I'm still hoping for 12 weeks, but we will see. It's also possible that it may just impact this region because they are over allotment.

By the way, I'm still very impressed with this dealership. Besides getting the truck for $99 below dealer invoice, I've been impressed with the salesperson handling my order. I've probably already posted it in this topic, but just in case, my salesperson's name is Danny Ware at Isbell Ford in Oklahoma. www.isbellford.com.
    Well, supposedly my rig was built yesterday!! I have a VIN, now we have to wait and see how long shipping takes...
    I want to say delivery is about two weeks from build date.
  • hde1993hde1993 Member Posts: 1
    Just got my build date of 5/11 with an ETA of
    5/25 ( ordered an F-250 crew cab lariat with ps
    diesel back on 3/7) Can't wait till it gets here!
This discussion has been closed.