Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Ford '99 Super Duty Delivery Issues

Comments

• Options
    rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    Elkslayer, I ordered the V10 because the 5.4 was too small for my needs. The V10 is 6.8 liters and should give 25% better preformance than the 460 it replaces. That means 25% better mileage, tourque, and horse power. I have surfed for months at many sites and have seen claims of 16 mpg all the way down to 9mpg. Rear end ratios and driving style will have a lot to do with individual mpgs. Good luck.

troutfshr. I like that handle. The Dodge has a lot going for it right now but I went with the Ford for all the little reasons. The quad cab works well but I dont like the vinyl covered door skins on the lower section of the rear doors. The Ford has thick plastic scuff plates instead. The 40 20 40 front seat has no locking provision on the Dodge to keep the center section back rest from flopping around when in the upright position, The Ford does. When you grab onto the steering column shroud in the Dodge and give it a squeeze, it squeeks, a sign that the plastic used in the interior is thinner than in the Ford. You will get a 38 gal fuel tank in the Ford, increasing range. The seat belts in the Dodge are attached to the seat itself, I dont like the lack of shoulder belt adjustment this allows. The ford also has the steel loading floor in the supercab, which I needed. Like I said its the little things that made me chose the Ford. Good luck.
  • Options
    Oh yeah I almost forgot, Congrats mroffshore!!!!!.
  • Options
    singer2singer2 Member Posts: 18
    The operative word, obviously, is "patience". I
    just ordered F250 CC V-10, not diesel. To be honest, my wife and I can't handle the noise--although reportedly improved with the '99.
    ? on the hitch--does option 86R & 531 guarantee that an actual hitch will be on the vehicle when delivered(sometime in the Fall--I'm
    sure!!) I heard latest backlog is 156,000+ sold units. Opion on sprayed beds--Rhino is a sure bet--saw two jobs last week camping at Cherrystone, VA. Perfect jobs--you won't go wrong. $384 for short bed!! Thanks! JB
  • Options
    BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    86R should guarantee the Class IV hitch unless the factory messes up. I don't have my paperwork in front of me, but I am thinking the 531 is the trailer tow package. The main benefit of that is that you get the light hookups the stronger batter and alternator, and you get a stronger suspension.
  • Options
    I will probably opt for the Line-X spray-in liner. I've heard good things about them. At the same time, my dad has had a Rhino for a couple years towing a fifth wheeler and loves it. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Look at their samples and decide for yourself.

Mike, what did you end up getting?
  • Options
    bonvecbonvec Member Posts: 11
    I'm buying a f350 dually cab and chassis my Pace buyers guide has the 66D option as PU Box delete of 300 dollars . Am I to understand that if I order a cab and chassis the invoice will show a 300 decrease in base price . And don't that seem like a very low price for a bed. I see used ones goiing for double that.
  • Options
    checksixchecksix Member Posts: 28
    Singer 2 & Brutus:
    It may seem picky, but the 86R is a receiver, Class IV . It's a square hole staring back at you. The actual hitch you have to buy, depending on what type of trailer you intend to pull.(some have provisions for sway controls and for equilizer bars). Go to any new lot selling trucks; you will see trucks with receivers, but not the actual hitch.
    Hope this helps.
    For info purposes: On April 28,I ordered a 99SD F-250 XLT Extended Cab with V-10 Ponies and 3.73 rear axle. Projected time frame was 12-16 weeks.
    Haven' heard a word about delivery date yet.
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Singer2 said:

> To be honest, my wife and I can't handle the
    > noise--although reportedly improved with the
    > '99.

If you haven't driven the new diesel, please do so. I was going for the V10 for this very reason (currently drive a '93 7.3l CC). The new SD is quieter with the diesel then my old '89 460 was (from within the cab). I had to wind the window down and up again to double check -- the new cab design is *GOOD*!

Bonvec said:

> Am I to understand that if I order a cab and
    > chassis the invoice will show a 300 decrease
    > in base price . And don't that seem like a
    > very low price for a bed.

You're thinking retail, not parts. $300 is an impressive credit from a parts cost perspective. And yes, it would be cheap retail -- I recently paid $800 for a new SRW bed for my '93 to fix it up for resale.
  • Options
    mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Brutus, I just had the Rhino Liner installed Saturday. The Rhino is more of a rubbery substance, and is sprayed on twice as thick as the Line-X. My son-in-law has a Line-X in his 1 ton dully, and it has chipped in a couple of places. It is a work truck and gets a lot of abuse though. I think the Rhino is the tougher of the two, but I think either will do the job in most cases.
    There was only one Line-X dealer around the Dallas area, and that was in Mesquite, and one in Tyler.(about 130 mi.)
    There is also a product called Tuff which is a knock off of Rhino, it looks identical.
  • Options
    Mharde2,

Which distributor did you go to to get your Rhino liner? And how much did it run you? I take it that you're happy with the application...

-Richard
  • Options
    Does anyone really know?? Concerning colors--a real basic ?, right? Just ordered F250
    color--DK Hunter Green--only because originally was told Deep Blue/Violet weren't available---
    dealership knew nothing about oxidation problem. First mistake--called Cust. Assist.--at their 1-800 #. Their personnel really don't know the ins & outs of what's available & what isn't. The first attendant stated that Blue & Violet are available, if ordered with the Graphite Interior.
    Here, confusion sets in. One local dealer checks his computer as well as his manager--they both concur that only the Deep Violet is available--enter the 2nd dealer--he states that both of those colors are not available due to the F250's being, as he stated" balanced
    out" for the year. For the moment, I'm still at Hunter Green---and we only ordered the truck last week---consider this the first chapter!!
  • Options
    When I talked to my salesperson last week, he confirmed that the dark blue and violet had both been discontinued.
  • Options
    GaHorseDadGaHorseDad Member Posts: 1
    Posted a note at Motormouth's "introduce yourself" thread & then came here. Read 1st 10/15 posts. Hopes of getting Ford PU I want sank to ankle area. Could not take anymore but read last 10/15 posts (esp Checksix's on 7/13). Hopes now on I-75 South & headed out of state. Well . . .
    Have been looking at F250 SC LB w/V10 and F150 SC LB w/5.4L V8 (both loaded for hauling daughter's horse)and NOBODY has what I need/want. Will probably have to order and that's obviously going to be a pain in the situpon. Noted in my "intro" post that my credit union pricing guide, a Consumer Reports guide & Edmunds all have differeing prices and differing packages available. Any comments?
  • Options
    I responded in the other area you posted. You might check out the Kelley Blue Book site for pricing. www.kbb.com They had the exact same dealer invoice prices and order numbers that my dealer had.

As for the V-10 or 5.4L, I've heard a lot of stories that the 5.4L is not getting better gas mileage than the V-10, or at the very least, it is not significant enough to justify the difference in power. All comments about the V-10 that I have seen so far have been positive.
  • Options
    richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    The GVWR is some what misleading. If your truck weighs 6600 and the GVWR is 8800, you can carry an additional 2200, right?

Not Really!

Besides GVWR, the axle capacity must be considered too. When installing a camper, the camper has a weight and a center of gravity specification. Each of these are important when loading the truck. Ford dealers (I assume the others also.) have consumer documents that show you how to load a truck. The Ford document unfolds into an 'E' size drawing, both sides. The process is that you find your model truck and add up all the options and follow the instructions. When this is done you'll have the weight carrying capability of each axle. Then you take the camper weight and it's center of gravity demension to calculate the weight placed upon each axle of the truck. If you haven't exceded any of the three weight ratings you're safe.

I would suggest that you pick up this document from your dealer. It's showroom type material and usually free.

Rich

BTW - If this doesn't birng out the engineer in you, nothing will.
  • Options
    Good point. It's important to remember that the trailer/two guidelines for Ford that you find on sites, such as The Ford Diesel Website are based on a vehicle being equipped a certain way. For example, they could be the guidelines for a V-8 XL model. Add some options and a different engine and the actual payload could be a lot different.

As an example, I read on another website that someone just bought a F-350 Superduty SRW CC PSD 4x4 XLT with the Powerstroke and Camper package. His camper certification was only 1,800. It's my understanding that the diesel reduces your GVWR by 600-800 pounds. It's also uncertain how much weight they factored in for people. I believe the guidelines say they factor in 150 pounds for every available seating position. That may mean that they factored in 900 pounds for people, which may not be your situation.

The best advice is to follow Richflynn's advice.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    My Ram came with this slide-in info in the Owner's Manual folder. On this piece of paper, there are preprinted drawings and information, and computer printed info beginning with my VIN and model. I have a listed "Cargo Weight Rating" (I will assume that to be camper weight certification - see below) of 3314 pounds, and a dimensional variance for the slide-in's center of gravity between 25 and 58 inches forward from the rearmost edge of the bed. The axle center is 44 inches from the rear of the bed.

That figure of 3314 is in contrast to the listed *payload* figure of 4615 pounds from a GVWR of 11,000. The GAWRs, by the way, are 4850 front and 7500 rear.

(For those just joining, the truck is a 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Club Cab 4x4 DRW, Cummins diesel/automatic/3.54 axles/rear limited slip.)

And Rich, my first major in college WAS mechanical engineering :)
  • Options
    Color update--since our friendly Ford Dealership here in PA vigorously stated that Deep Moonlight Blue & Deep Purple are no longer avail., between Hunter & Prairie, we chose Prairie--just seemed to look a little extra classy!!Stanford---Rhino on Short Bed costs $384, and about $417 on Long. Update on color Blue---Ford's Deep Blue is being replaced my Expedition's Wedgewood Blue---too much like a reminder of my Air Force Blues Dress coat--no thanks!! And thanks to all of you who share your input---I, for one, appreciate your help. JB
  • Options
    I was at 14+ weeks without having the ordered pulled before I changed my order 7/6. I suspect I lost my place in line since it wasn't just a matter of adding options. I completely changed the truck to a dually. I probably have 8-16 weeks starting 7/6.
  • Options
    pworangepworange Member Posts: 57
    Checksix - Thanks for the list. I still haven't got a build date. Doesn't seem to be any ryhme or reason for who gets what when. I talked with the dealer I ordered from in Canon City Colorado. He told me the allocation for trucks is based on the number of cars the dealer sells. I'm curious as to how the priorities are established. I know the dealer assigns a priority when the truck is ordered but is it automatic after that or does the dealer still have input after the order is placed.
  • Options
    mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    singer2,

I ordered the hunter green on my reorder and was very happy with it. It looks like a deep teal green which we like very much.

checksix,

Just note that I reorder my truck on 5/26 because I was unhappy with the first. (woodland green and no SOF) It took 3 days over 6 weeks to get another fully loaded lariat, cc, power stroke. So it is possible to get a truck in a reasonable time frame. Alot does have to do with the dealer.

The truck is just great, I could not be happier.
    Can anyone tell me how much weight you can tow with the class 4 hitch the factory installs? I have to get one insatlled this week at a locale camper buisness and would like to get the same option that Ford offered.

Mroffshore
  • Options
    mroffshore:

Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight is 10,000 lbs.for the Class iv hitch receiver, regardless of engine or tranny, or rear axle.(or who installs it)

reference is www.meadowlandford.com/conventional.htm
  • Options
    oops-bad url
    try
    www.meadowlandford.com
    and click on Super Duty Trailering Info
  • Options
    mikef150mikef150 Member Posts: 35
    That list was a good idea checksix.....to update my status...As of 7/13 the truck has been shipped. I do not know what date it was shipped on. I am still waiting for delivery.

kcram--what did you change your major to in college?...I am currently ME going into 3rd year..don't like it and am looking for a change. Thanks
  • Options
    I switched after my soph year - went into the English department as a professional writing (aka journalism) major. My GPA went way up :)

I knew I was in the wrong thing when on the FIRST day of Fluid Dynamics, the professor hands us a tech manual and tells us to write a report describing the operation of an old Buick torque converter for that Friday. At least half of the class went "Huh?"
  • Options
    I canceled my order yesterday. The crewcab shortbox only has a 29 gal tank. I wanted the larger tank and specified it when I went to give the dealer my check. They assured me it would have the big one, they were wrong. They did run a search of the dealers here in the area and found one allready on the ground with most of the options I ordered. Its white, with the graphite interior, and its a f250 supercab V10 long box. The dealer is telling me it should be in tomorrow. Its a 4x4 with the camper pkg power trailer tow mirrors and the towing pkg with the reciever. I will keep you all advised as to my progress. White aint so bad I guess. The invioce they faxed me has an interesting statement printed on it:unit being re-invioce to correct air-bag option appearing as a standard option at 'n/c' prior to june 11,1998. I dont know what that means but I will find out tomorrow.
  • Options
    kotakota Member Posts: 8
    called yesterday to see where my order stood, of 6/24, & got a call back today that I was in line, buy no number because the color I chose, deep purple is discontinued. From this list it appears they are not giving me a line, so I have chosen hunter green (glad to hear from another pleased consumer on that one). They are still saying another 15 weeks. Does that sound a bit long to anyone?
  • Options
    kcram,

Initially, Ford erred and indicated that the passenger side airbag was standard with certain models. It is not. It's a $500+ option on the Superduty. Your truck is either being reinvoiced to add $500+ to the invoice because you do have the airbag, or it is being reinvoiced to eliminate the wording that there is a passenger airbag where none exists. I suspect it is the latter.

It looks like you found a way to shorten the waiting period. Personally, I think a long bed is the only way to go. It will be long with the CC, but the extra height of the 4wd looks pretty sharp, especially if you have the meatier tires.

I'm getting pretty psyched about the dually option I ordered. I think I will have a bigger adjustment going from the 3.55 to the 4.30. I haven't seen many 4wd duallys on the road, but the few 2wd versions look pretty sharp. I definitely like the added height of the 4wd on any of the models.

The duallys should provide a noticably more stable ride with a 3000+ camper on top and the 4.30 should really be helpful on the trips through mountain passes. I've narrowed my decision down to a Lance Legend or a Bigfoot 3000. I'll probably take a week off in December to pick it up since I will likely buy it out-of-state. It sounds like I can save thousands on the camper if I get it in Oregon or possibly even British Columbia. I'm waiting on more info from both.
  • Options
    IDGARYIDGARY Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a F-250 Powerstroke but not real comfortable with the motor. Who makes this motor is it actually made by Ford. I've been told that Caterpillar makes them or actually that Ford bought the division of Cat that used to make them. I'm just kind of wondering if 4 or 5 years from now everyone will be looking back on these motors and thinking maybe they weren't so great after all. And lets face it if I spend that much on a truck I expect it to be around for quite a while.
  • Options
    The Ford Powerstroke is made by Navistar. Navistar recently renewed their contract and agreed to make a diesel for the smaller trucks, such as the Expedition. Everything you want to know about the Powerstroke, as well as links to other diesel sites including Cummins info, can be found at The Ford Diesel Website:

www.abol.com/users/jlester/info.htm
  • Options
    Checksix---singer2 here giving you an order date of 7/9; made last change of color to Prairie Tan,
    and am going with Shortbed since PullRite offers a superslide hitch that auto-adjusts to turns. See Good Sam's July Ed. pg 29. of Highways Pub. No problem with 29 gal. tank--common sense tells us not to drive too far before taking a brake. Only possible change to PO would be the option of SOF---is that option needed on a F250
    CC, V10? Thanks for the posting!!! JB
  • Options
    AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    Didn't someone else post earlier (here or in the other 250 conference) that the pass. side airbag is NOW standard. It was a $255 option (invoice) but Ford now includes it as standard?

Ryan
  • Options
    Although the F-150 4wd w/Off-Road costs more than a similarly equipped F-250, doesn't the F150 package come with more features?
    Albeit small, but the Off-Road pkg. comes with Fog Lamps (not avail. on F250), Skid Plates (are the already on the F-250 4wd?), Bigger tires (must seperately code on the F250), and better suspension pkg. (must code on F250). So the extra cost might be in pkg compnents that aren't available on the F250 or something slightly different that isn't avail. on the F250...
    If someone can clear this up, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • Options
    Sorry, I know they are in the F250 Off-Road Pkg.

:| (sheepish grin)

Ryan
  • Options
    Check conference #275 for more info :-)
  • Options
    The passenger side airbags are not standard with the Superduty. Ford erred and originally said they were. To add the airbag, the option is closer to the $500 range. I told my dealer that I'd be sure to tell my passenger to buckle their seatbelt tighter. I passed on the airbag.

Several months ago, out of curiousity, I compared the figures of a F-350 Superduty Lariat 4x4 V-10 against a similarly equiped F-150. I seem to remember that the F-350 Superduty was about 2,000 more and the F-250 Superduty was about $1,000 more than the F-150. It seemed like the trucks went up about $1,000 per 1/4 ton.
  • Options
    I'll check out #275, but if it costs $500, I'll pass too!! The cost of the SuperDuty is well worth it. Now I'm debating whether or not to get the Lariat. I've settled on the F-250 4wd LWB.

Cheers,
    Ryan
  • Options
    The Kelley Blue Book site has a detailed list of what is included in the Lariat, as well as the other models. The standard equipment is listed at the end after the pricing. If you print out the list for the Lartiat and for the XLT, you can cross reference the difference. Make sure to include both premium packages, which are listed as options in the pricing section.
  • Options
    Almost forgot, I personally like some of the information on KBB's site better than here. Edmund's has more deatiled information, but KBB is better in the pricing department.

My $.02 worth.

Ryan
  • Options
    ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    Well, keep in mind that pricing really isn't the main goal of this site -- it's more about the detailed information & reviews, while the KBB site focusses on pricing.
  • Options
    richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    When looking at delivery date to order date, please understand that Ford is not running a continuous line for the Super Duty. It has to do with the process engineers. First run, prototype the vehicle for the production line, second run, prototype the production line and third run is full production. My dealer explained that my order was just after the first run and got built in the second run. It all depends upon where in these cycles your order was placed. Once full production starts, 6 weeks would be a long time to wait.

My dealer also explained a few other 'Ford' terms.
    Order picked up - Ford accepted the order and means that all options are acceptable for the state of delivery.
    Build date - The vehicle is scheduled to be built during production run starting on 'Build date'. Note that 'Build date' is not a firm calendar date and may change. (Mine did!)
    VIN number assigned - The vehicle has been assigned to be built.
    Bill of lading - The vehicle has been built and is in shipment. This is the dealers ONLY confirmation that the vehicle is on the way. (Usually arrives at the Ford preparation center two to three weeks later.)
    There is one other factor that may delay the delivery of a truck. That is space on the hauler. Trucks take the space of two Escorts. The trucker, evidently, makes more by hauling two Escorts rather than one truck. It took mine an extra 4 days to get from the prep center to the dealer.

Finally, there aren't may Super Duties built as of today. I've only seen 5 others on the road. Two in San Diego and 3 in the LA area.

Rich
  • Options
    mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    rich, They are everywhere here in Texas, I see 10-12 per day around Dallas. Almost all are crew cabs, and about 1/2 are 4X4's.
  • Options
    Every Ford dealer in north NJ seems to have at least 2 SDs on their lots, and one of them is always a 450 dump truck (and it's almost always red). On the street, I would say I have seen just 2 in "personal use", the rest (at least a two or three dozen since March) have all been chassis/cabs with work bodies.
  • Options
    In choosing the F250 CC, Short--here's the ticket for hauling 5th's. PullRite is running 24/7 just to keep up on demand for their new SuperGlide---takes the worry & hassle out of turning(parking or otherwise). Speaking to Chad at PullRite, just today, he stated that he's still preparing the installation manual; however, it simply requires four bolts to hold the hitch. The catch is, Chad said that there's a 4-7 month wait once you order one. Unless you own an F250, because they already have the brackets for Ford completed. But here's the real hitch---
    $2500-- with a patent, PullRite appears to be the only game in town. I feel it's worth it though, if it takes all the hassle out of 5TH Wheeling!! For the moment, forget your PC # at Camping World, even though they will be a distr. for the SuperGlide----they are currently clueless!! JB
  • Options
    richflynn:

Thanks for the education. I have been trying
    to get this info at the Ford dealer, but I'm
    afraid it has been so long since he gave an
    honest answer that he forgot how. All he did
    tell me is that there have been three price
    increases since I ordered on 4/28.

That is another subject--I hope to pay the price
    he quoted when I ordered it.I have it on an order
    form. I expect a hassle on that, because they know everyone is wanting a Super Duty.

It is a coincidence that I was told yesterday
    that the order has been pulled. I guess that
    means the same as "picked up".
  • Options
    mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    Checksix,

There was a price increase for my truck also, I held my ground and they did not try to gouge me for any more money. Thats not our problem they have to take that up with their regional factory rep. Why should we have to pay a different price after we negotiated a price in good faith and recieved a quote? Tuff luck for the dealer!

Mroffshore
  • Options
    kirkpamakirkpama Member Posts: 64
    Checksix,

Same here. My truck came in about $100 over the quote, but the dealer never attempted to pass that on to me. They ate that cost and sold me the truck for the quote that I order from.
  • Options
    Checksix,

If you have a price in writing, signed by dealer management, they cannot change it at all, unless you have agreed on the order write-up to accept a price increase from the factory. The order is a contract; that's why it is signed by both parties. If your dealer tries to pass price increases to you above a *signed* price on the order, walk to the office of the general manager or president of the dealer.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info: I'll do just that.
  • Options
    Isbell Ford has you sign something that says you understand that if the factory increases the price to them, it will be passed on to you. At the same time, they also say that if a rebate is available when the truck comes in, you will get it, even if it wasn't available when you ordered it.
This discussion has been closed.