Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Hmmm...maybe they just attracted less than careful ownership, kind of like most of the DSM coupes :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The relationship with Chrysler didn't really do Mitsubishi much good in the end, did it?

Too bad, Mitsubishis are now very good cars.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,675
    I ran some errands in my '76 LeMans, and drove some back roads. Spotted a 1974 or so Corvette in a driveway, and a '66 T-bird landau, on jackstands, in another. Primer gray, looking a bit forlorn, and with a for sale sign in the window.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....I saw:

67 (pretty sure only because of the steering wheel, 67-69s look alike to me) Thunderbird coupe, black, quite nice 10-footer (so-so amateur paint)

67 red Firebird 400 convertible, owned by the local Pozoleria guy, he's selling (wants something like $28k, eeek---I keep trying to remind myself that this was a $4k mass-produced car when new)

80(?) Trans-Am turbo Pace Car (white, prisine, had that nice, thick checked velour interior, those turbine-y looking wheels, T-tops, the contact paper dash, power windows and the cool Trans-Am steering wheel)

beat up 66 Buick Electra 225 coupe, I see all the time; can't imagine one as a daily driver, for the gas usage alone

the most beautiful example, if that's an adjective we can use for one, Checker Marathon station wagon, dark green (I think they stopped making these way before the sedans....this looked late-60s, if judging purely by smallish bumpers)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Saw one in the showroom at the dealership last week... Up close, you don't really notice how severely it slopes..

Plus, the one I saw was an M-model... Twin turbo V-8.. $81K :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

....I saw one, I just thought it was mammoth and awkward; if you want a utility vehicle, just get one, I don't get the crossover thing, at least not at this price point. I can think of many cars (or maybe two or three cars that cost a total of) I'd rather have for $81k. Eeek.
  • martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    Wow, how did the Brits botch this one up? I mean, it was basically a Honda-with all of the bugs worked out. The Brits just had to add leather seats and some nicer "English" touches-so how did this marque go so horribly bad?
    The one I saw was a sad little rat- dented and making blue smoke.
    Are they worth anything? :sick:
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,278
    The idea didn't work when it was an AMC Eagle and it doesn't work now

I think those cars ended up with the worst of Japanese and British traits.
    I saw this thing on a highway in podunk yesterday:

Looked pristine and restored, early model, and it wasn't on fire or wobbling or anything like that.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    Wow, a Series I XJ6 is a very rare animal. Pretty good snapshot, is that from a cellphone?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    That Volvo may be a good C4C candidate...maybe, possibly, assuming..., but from your description of the driver, he probably wouldn't qualify for a loan. Ya never know, though. He could be a rich eccentric masquerading as a, well, poor eccentric.
    I wish I knew how determine the exact year...it was tough to get a good pic. Normal (digital) camera, I usually keep it in the door when I go on a long drive.
    Spotted at a used car lot in podunk, this gargantuan 62 Olds:

(cellphone pics)

I didn't post the drivers side pic because there's a big dent in the front fender that makes the car look pretty horrible :shades: . The paint is old and faded unevenly - original perhaps, and metallics never age well if not maintained. Light surface rust on the chrome that could easily be cleaned, but not much rust on the body. Rotten old tires, who knows what it is like under the hood. Interior was pretty decent though, and I noticed it had a Wonderbar radio. It's not as nice as it looks in the pics, but it's not horrible and shouldn't totally be a lost cause if one can do work by themselves. They want $2500 for it, but I am sure it could be had for 2 grand or less.
    ....I especially like the weirdo deep-set steering wheel center and the football-shaped taillights. Wondering what the upholstery looks like under those nasty covers (front, anyway).....looks like factory A/C (see vents...not unusual for a 98) and power windows, no? Unless it's a basket case, $2500 doesn't seem so bad....I'm huge fan of four-door hardtops, they're tough to find in general (at least if eBay is any indication)......seems for every 4HT, there are 10 two-doors or convertibles in every ilk.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    1970 Dodge Charger 500 with the bumblebee stripe across the rear fenders and trunk at the local highend car wash. Looked like an unmolested original - very good, without looking overly glossy. No loud exhaust, original wheels. Had the original Waco Texas Dealer's logo on the trunk

Excellent BUT: It was that soft green the Chrysler liked in those years, with a white vinyl top and a green interior.

Somehow that dragged the desirabilty meter down into the low end for me. I understand about how hot it gets in Texas, so the white top makes practical sense. Still, since there's nothing practical about a 1970 Dodge Charger anyhow, why not a black roof.

Would putting black vinyl in place of the white bring up the desirability enough to offset the fact that the car wouldn't be factory original anymore?

It sure would have in my book.

Looked like this but not this pretty green

More like this green... but a little softer

Good lord, it looks like they offered just about every color under the sun in 1970! Here's a Dodge paint chart from that year

They had SIX shades of green that year! There was a light green that seemed popular back then, sort of a sage green I think it's called, that I always thought was pretty nice. Probably what Chrysler called the "light green poly", while that olive color was probably the "dark green poly". I wonder what shade of green that Charger with the white roof is? Looks metallic, and emerald to me, and I don't think it really matches up to anything on that paint chart. Of course, sometimes those scanned-in images don't always reflect the true color.

I got to experience first-hand what a difference color can make when it comes to heat, when I bought my second '79 New Yorker. It's midnight blue, with a matching cloth interior that's sort of a corduroy pattern, with a bit of vinyl trim in places. My first NYer is light creme, with a matching leather interior. On hot days, the blue one becomes downright brutal, and heats up much more quickly, and much worse, than the creme one. I knew color made some difference, but didn't think it would be THAT noticeable! Still, that's changing the color of everything...body, roof, and interior. I wonder how much of a difference changing just the roof would make?

Those old 60's cars (and for all intents and purposes, a '70 Charger is still a 60's car) tended to have better fresh-air ventilation than later cars, what with the vent windows, roll-down rear windows, the big fresh-air vents under the dash, etc. Plus, they weren't sealed as tightly, which probably helped with heat build-up. And I imagine even little details, like the way the side glass curved in so much more on the 70's cars, letting in more of the sun's rays, made a difference. So even with a black roof, something like that Charger might not be too bad.

My '68 Dart used to be black, with a black vinyl interior, and I don't remember it being too bad. I was a lot younger back then, though...22 when I bought the car, and 23 when I repainted it back to its original white, so I probably had a higher tolerance for pain back then!
    I was actually thinking that was the stock upholstery - the colors went perfectly with the paint, and they sure looked to fit tightly enough to be stock upholstery. It could just be a bad pic. IIRC the rear seats were the same pattern.

I think it had PW, yeah...the little cranks are for the wing/vent windows, I think....I remember my Galaxie had normal cranks for the side windows, and small ones for the wing/vent windows. The fintail just has a round dial that is turned to open those windows.

I think that car would be a fair enough deal for 2 grand, assuming that it has no major mechanical needs....but if one does a nut and bold restoration, they are still going to be buried alive in it.
    The upholstery on the seats might just not look right because of the glare from the sun washing it out? I believe the pattern of the fabric should match the fabric that's on the door panels.

Sounds like it might be a neat car to have and drive around in for $2K or, hopefully, less. Like Ghulet, I've always had a thing for those big 4-door hardtops. I'd never put any serious money into it though, unless it was a true labor of love.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Andre - was flipping trough the channels the other day and came across My Cousin Vinny. (Not that I haven't seen it before.) When they get to the part about whether you could get a Tempest or a Buick in the same color I immediately thought of you and the paint chips....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Yeah, I think the seat inserts match the lighter blue part of the door panels, below the darker blue ribbed vinyl.

What would that thing have in it, like a 394?

I will say I like that color combo a lot...the exterior color reminds me of the "diamond blue" of my old W126...a color that doesn't seem to work well on most modern cars...or it is seen very seldom anyway.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    That car pictures is a Ninety-Eight. But the seats don't match the Ninety-Eight cloth seats. I think they are a seat cover. They also don't match some of the Eighty-Eight's seats. I would guess they are good quality seat cover.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The pattern doesn't look much different from in this brochure (they have vertical lines, just hard to see)...it isn't the best pic, I will admit. I wish I could find a pic of the seatbacks - but I didn't think of it, and the seller isn't big time enough to have a website.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    But the blue car has rib marks in the plastic between the cloth. The one in the brochure does not have that longitudinal rib marking, it's plain. I can see the rectangles in the blue car on the door as in the brochure car. None of the cloth seats, 88's or 98's have that longitudinal rib.

We're going to have to ask you to stop by there when the place is open for business and inspect the car for us!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Oh, do you mean the sewn in vertical lines in the middle of the bench seat, in the darker blue vinyl? That didn't even catch my eye til now.

The blue car had vertical sewn lines in the inserts like the brochure....the insert cloth also seemed kind of wrinkled, I don't know if that was a factory texture or an age issue.

I won't be down there again for about 8 weeks probably...but it might still be there. I'll make an offer on your behalf :P
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    In a Dallas driveway:
    Thanks to this board, I knew what it was!
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...I spotted a 1963 Chevrolet Impala 4-door hardtop, red with a white roof. Seems the 2-door hardtops are common, but you don't often see an Impala 4-door hardtop of this vintage.
    I saw one of those in Vancouver once, and it was being driven. It sounded like a hyper chainsaw.
    I remember the father on "The Wonder Years" had a 63 Impala 4 door HT before it was replaced by a big 69 Ford sedan.
  • mp67rivmp67riv Member Posts: 14
    I have always liked the 62 Olds line, from the Starfire and 98 down to the F-85 Cutlass. On the 98, the quad taillamps and the extra body side trim added an extra something to an already pretty decent design. The "protruding" headlight/grille assembly was also unique and, to me, attractive. My aunt and uncle had a 98 4 dr hardtop back in the early 60s, but it was the 6 window roofline. I think the 4 window roofline on this one is nicer than the 6 window. Another aunt had a F-85 Cutlass, and I always enjoyed riding in that car.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 - I like this a lot.
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/1246921358.html

1970 oldsmobile cutlass supreme - too bad about the sunroof.
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1254332720.html

This will never get finished.... too bad too
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1243030263.html

MAYBE this one will get finished....
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1250055133.html
    I just spent several miles behind a '57 Chevy four-door 4-poster, probably a 210. It was dark non-metallic red, a little faded, perhaps original. It had twin tailpipes so likely it was a V8. The left tailpipes smoked quite a bit on take off but not while cruising.

I also saw one of those huge fuselage-era MoPars, also a 4-poster. It wore a very appropos license plate: QE2 ;)

When I was in podunk last weekend, I saw something I just looked up to see if it was a real, a Pontiac "GT-37". I had never heard of this before - it looked like a ca. 1970-71 LeMans/GTO, but had that odd badge. I googled it and apparently it is a real car. New one to me.
  • martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    How long was this rather obscure make sold in the USA?
    And, what happened to the firm..was it absorbed by a larger automobile maker?
    I'd heard of a GT-37, but never really knew what it was. However, a friend of mine used to have a 1971 T-37, as he called it. He had it before I knew him though, so I never saw it. He used to talk about it like it was something special. Essentially all it was though, was the cheapest intermediate Pontiac that year, replacing the Tempest. In 1970, Pontiac had the Tempest, LeMans, LeMans Custom, and GTO, and labeled them all as separate models. For 1971 though, they were all just "LeMans", with T37, LeMans, LeMans Sport, and GTO all different sub-levels. Basically, one of those name-game shuffles that Detroit is famous for.

In googling the GT-37, it looks like it was advertised as sort of a poor man's GTO. It came standard with a 350-2bbl, rather than the Chevy-6. However, you could order it with bigger engines, like the 400 and 455.

When my friend was still in college, at the U of MD, one day he came out to the parking lot to see some fresh body damage down the side of his car. He got really upset about it, but then really went ballistic when he saw that the car in the spot next to it, a newish Honda Accord (this would've been around 1981-82 I guess) had damage on it that matched up! Yep, that's right, the perp had the nerve not only to hit his car, but just leave their car blatantly parked right next to it!

Well, it turns out it was owned by an Indian girl, new to this country (and driving, evidently) and she said that she thought it was okay to hit my friend's car, because it was an old car! :surprise:

Ultimately, that car gave way to a 1982 Bonneville with the bigger Buick 252 V-6. Sometime in the late 1980's, my friend got it repainted, in its original light jadestone. Within days of the repaint, one rainy fateful day, a mid 1970's Royal Monaco wagon wiped out, crossed the center line, and took him out along with a late 70's Cutlass Supreme and a Citation. Must have been pick on GM day! The Cutlass and Bonneville were totaled. I don't think the Citation was totaled, but it wasn't driveable either. The only car that drove away from that scene was that mammoth Royal Monaco!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    next door neighbor to a relative I was visiting this weekend.

1st a 1988 325. Odd part was that it was an iX. I didnt even know they made them that early.

And the nice one inthe garage. A gen 1 (forgot to ask which year) red M3. All original, super clean and totally stock.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    AKA Satan's own road, of all places

An early Sl Mercedes convert. Red. Passed the other way, so didnt see the badges, but I assume it was a 190SL?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I like the coupes and convertibles, but also enjoy seeing 4 Dr and wagons since they can be nostalgic representing the actual cars we mostly grew up with. 1962 was a indeed good year for Olds.

I think you could get the Pontiac T-37 with racing stripes and a spoiler. It also cut costs by things like a fixed rear seat window that didn't roll down, and despite the sporty options I think it still had a bench seat. I believe there was a "heavy Chevy" or some such version Chevelle as well that was a poor kids fake muscle car back then. I just could never get into racing stripes on a car. I always liked the 71/72 Plymouth Sebring coupe. I thought it was a sharp looking car, but I don't think it really sold all that well. In fact, I think it did better with the 73 restyle which I personally found kind of boxy and less attractive. I also liked the 72 fastback Torino coupe and its roofline, but I think that style was also short lived. I guess the message back then related to the cars I liked was that I was either avant garde or the only taste I had was in my mouth!
    I think Borgward was in the US for about 5 years...with the reasonably good looking Isabella coupe, and a few other weirdos.

The firm went under in Germany in the early 60s, but was made in Mexico until around 1970. Some kind of financial shenanigans.
    I was thinking it was a homemade badge when I first saw it, as the car looked to obviously be restored, and maybe had some kind of unique modification and a unique badge to go along with. I learned something, doesn't happen every day :shades:

And about a decade later, Pontiac would bless us again with the "T" prefix with the awesome T-1000.
    How long was this rather obscure make sold in the USA?
    And, what happened to the firm..was it absorbed by a larger automobile maker?

I couldn't tell you definitively but I first became aware of them ca. 1957-8 and they ceased production in 1961. The primary export to the US was the Isabella Sport Coupe, a lower priced competitor to the Mercedes 190SL.

Production machinery was sold to a Mexican according to Wikipedia where they were produced from '67-'70.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I remember a friend's parents had a T-37 Lemans. I think it was pretty stripped, I rode in it a few times but all I remember is it had the two speed powerglide trans.

I passed a Mustang convertible for sale this weekend, thought the sign said $2000 so I stopped to look. It ended up being $20,000. I think it was a '73, It was one of the bloated ones. Pretty pricey for probably one of the more undesireble Mustangs.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ....1971-72 Pontiac LeMans four-door sedan for sale in my neighborhood. I can't tell what the original color was as almost every color is on it - white, black, blue, red...
  • mp67rivmp67riv Member Posts: 14
    In addition to the Isabella coupe, there was a two door sedan and, I believe, a two door wagon. My understanding is that they were fairly well made cars. The Isabella coupe had similar lines to the VW Karmann Ghia coupe.
    That's right --Borgward was sold in the USA up to about 1961 or thereabouts. The company was then liquidated, assets sold off to pay creditors, and manufacturing rights sold to someone in Mexico. Apparently some Isabellas and some sedans were made in Mexico in the late 60s but I never saw one. The company died for good soon after that.

Mr. Borgward made some interesting cars, even a racer. But he was apparently a very eccentric, egomaniacal type, and drove his company in a wrong direction.

He could have been a contendah....he could have been somebody... :P
    Yep, I think those were both sold in NA, and IIRC, they also had the Isabella name.

The cars have a decent following in Europe, and quite a few seem to have survived, so they were probably solid.
    I've driven them, even worked on a couple of them. They were very well-made cars.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    I read some website which alleged that Borgward (the company) went under when a German bank called in its loans at the behest of some friends-of-friends over at M-B who didn't like the prospect of competition for the fintail.