Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited December 2012
    Chevy ads tended to be more aggressive I think as the 50s progressed, and by the early 60s they really wanted people to think about HORSEPOWER:

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    My understanding was that the Cleveland was more of a "medium block", and could go to larger displacements than the Windsor. If the Windsor started off as a 221, I'd imagine that by the time you got to a 351, it was pushing its limit.

The Cleveland probably let Ford get to larger displacements, such as the 400, without using a heavier big-block to do so.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Yeah, I don't think there would be much of a future for a '13 hemi Ram La Femme. It would be a big draw at the 2038 Carlisle Mopar show, though.
    Interesting how the LaFemme stresses driving comfort and pleasure. I wonder what they mean by "pleasure." Why not tire shredding acceleration and ruggedness?

I'll bet there was little, if any, female input in that La Femme ad.
    I believe the LaFemme actually came with a pink umbrella!
    edited December 2012
    Interesting how the LaFemme stresses driving comfort and pleasure. I wonder what they mean by "pleasure." Why not tire shredding acceleration and ruggedness?

I think in those days of one car households, it was common for the husband to buy the car, but the wife would choose the colors? So maybe they thought the LaFemme would be appealing on that level? Still, more than likely the husband was going to be the one who drove the car most of the time, so they could only push it so far.

Even though Dodge had the 193 hp "power pak" option, I don't think people were thinking of Dodge as a performance brand just yet. That would change a bit for 1956, with the 260 hp D-500 engine option. There was also a 285 hp version, but I believe it was intended mainly for racing.

For 1957, the D-500 came as a 325 with choice of 285 or 310 hp. There was also a rare D-501 that had a Chrysler 354 Hemi with 340 hp. That must have been a screamer, in that light Dodge body.
    You're not going to shred any tires in a '55 LaFemme---this was a small Red Ram I believe coupled to an automatic and a pretty heavy car---maybe if they made one with a 3-speed column shift, you could slip a little rubber in 1st gear. I owned a '55 Royal Lancer 2D HT---really liked that car but it wasn't very fast off the line--pretty good on the highway, though.
    In '55 I think Dodge started following in Chrysler's footsteps and began relying less on Hemi-head engines. I think the Royal came standard with a poly-head 270 V-8, which was optional on the Coronet, while the Custom Royal had the Hemi-head 270.

I forget the hp differences, but the "power-pak" option for the Hemi boosted hp to 193.

When you think about it, even that's not a lot of hp. Probably translates to about 140 hp net, in an engine of not much more displacement than those undersized slugs GM was making in the dark ages (260, 265, 267). And the car probably weighed about 3500 lb, and just had a 2-speed automatic.

It probably used a short axle ratio, something like a 3.54:1, so it might actually lurch just enough to throw you back in your seat for a moment and make you *think* you're going to take off fast.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Saw an '84 or so Caprice estate, pretty mint for its age, this morning. Like an 80s time capsule.

We had the Olds version, a Custom Cruiser, when I was in high school.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    I'm pretty sure the 3800 is based off a SBC, not a Buick engine.
    3/4's of a 5.0 is 3.8 and 3/4's of a 5.7 is a 4.3.
    Maybe only the 4.3 is based on the chevy block.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    edited December 2012
    Nope. There is a Vortec V6 based on the Chevy SB, but not the Buick.
    Here an article about the original Buick V6, only mentions the Buick V8, not the SBC.

Here's the wiki article including both the original and the 3800 which developed from it.

It's true that the 3800 was a MAJOR redesign of the Buick V6, but they didn't start with the SBC.

And it didn't look like 3/4 of a SBC:

Finally, the SBC had 4.4" bore spacing, the Buick V6 and 3800 had 4.24".
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    One of my BIL's has a supercharged Buick. I'll have him open the hood next time I see the car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    There was a Chevy 3.8, but it was the 229. A 305 with two cylinders lopped off, and offered from 1980-84. It had 115 hp the first year, 110 in the following. It wasn't very torquey for its size, something like 170-175 ft-lb?

The 4.3 (262) was a 350 (5.7) minus two cylinders. And to complete the set, there was a smaller 200 CID (3.3) V-6 offered in 1978-79 and a 267 (CID) V-8 version offered from 1979-82.

The reason the Buick 3.8 doesn't directly correlate to exactly 3/4 of a V-8 version is because the engines evolved differently over the years. First came the 215 aluminum V-8 for 1961, then the 198 iron-block V-6 for 1962. In 1964, there were replaced by a 225 V-6 and a 300 V-8, both with iron blocks.

At some point, there was a 340 CID enlargement of the V-8, and in 1968, the V-8 went to 350 CID, and the V-6 tooling was sold to Jeep. What little demand there was for a 6-cyl Buick was satisfied using the Chevy 250-inline 6.

At some point in the 1970's, GM bought the tooling back from Jeep, but to save costs, they bored it out a bit so that it could use the same pistons as a Buick 350 V-8. So, it had the stroke of the old 300 V-8, but the bore of the newer 350. GM started using it in their 1975 cars, and for the most part it was a crap-fest. The turbo version, which came out around 1978, had a stronger block at least. And for 1985, both the turbo and non-turbo block were redesigned, and strengthened, and almost immediately, it went from being one of GM's crappiest engines to one of its best.

There were several different versions of the 3.8. In 1978-79 there was a 3.2/196 CID version that was used in the Buick Century, although I think the REgal had the 3.8 standard. From 1980-84 there was a 4.1/252 CID version that was used mainly in full-sized cars, but it went in some intermediates. And starting in 1982, I believe, there was a 3.0/181 CID version that was used in FWD cars like the Century. I think it was dropped after 1985, but not positive.

Oh, and Oldsmobile had a V-6 version of their Olds 350 Diesel, which came out to 4.3 liters.
    Excellent recap!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Saw a 560SL and a DeLorean today.
    Saw a Peugeot 505 wagon doing pizza delivery duty. No doubt driven by the local guy who I have also seen driving a 505 sedan for the same job.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    a 75ish Camaro running around at the mall. Pretty rust in the back, but front looked OK.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Spotted a unicorn.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Very nice 85ish Audi 5000 in a metallic brown. Looked showroom new.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Nice looking car in its day, but mechanicals lagged behind the styling, and not so good.
    Beautiful car in its day. Ah, if only the Audi 5000 had Honda Accord reliability, and more reasonably priced parts and components. If only...my grandmother had a moustache she would have be my grandfather.
    :D
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

spotted, of all places, parked on the street in NW DC. I was bike riding with a friend, noticed it out of the corner of my eye, and went over to look at it. Hollered at my friend who was ahead of me that I saw a car I wanted to check out.

It was a deep, deep blue, and looked showroom new. So obviously, it doesn't live on the street! My friend, who knows absolutely nothing about cars, was impressed by it, and could tell that it was something special. I guess that's one true test that a car has held up over the years, when even someone who's not into cars is impressed by it.
    I love those. I would have been stunned to see one parked in DC. It's not like they aren't pretty valuble.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    I absolutely love those cars. Long hood, short deck, understated styling, no skirts, minimal trim...just gorgeous.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    It's not like they aren't pretty valuble.

Asking prices are around $40K in Hemmings.

I'll bet you see lots of $40K cars parked in DC.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I'll bet you see lots of $40K cars parked in DC.

I'm sure you see many 100K cars too, but a valuable classic on the streets of DC is a rare sight I'm sure.

Yeah, normally the "classics" you see on the streets of DC are more akin to this!
    love that satin finish---it's very modern :)
    I first saw those two cars on a DC street back in the fall of 1997. I remember the Newport especially vividly, because at the time, I was driving a '79 Newport.

Every once in awhile I'd go down that street, and those two cars would always be there. Not always in that same spot, but always in view of the intersection. So, I thought it was amusing that they were still showing up on Google Maps, almost 12 years after I first noticed them.

Alas, I went down that street just a few weeks ago, and didn't notice either one there. I'm kinda curious if they're still around, though. And, I'm surprised that, for being parked on the street all the time, they don't seem to have aged any. They were kinda ratty looking back in 1997.

Maybe I should leave a note on the Newport sometime, see if they'd want to sell it. I could always use it as a parts car for either of my New Yorkers.
    They are probably being beaten into teapots in a small factory in Turkey as we speak. :P
    I'll bet you see lots of $40K cars parked in DC

And that's in the middle class neighborhoods.

New Forester parks across the street, I go check it out, turns out that's the home owner's personal assistant's car. :D

I can only afford it due to lucky timing, bought the house in '99 right before the spike in prices.
    Saw a DeLorean this morning - has to be the same one I see every few days, there can only be so many running around. Also a ratty 1985 Camry and a ~1970 Vette.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Driving today I saw a late 60's Ford F-150 in pristine shape. Usually an old pick up is pretty beat up.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Behind what I'm guessing was a 1939 Ford sedan yesterday, nice and straight, no smoke, clear bright tailights, probably it's last run of the year, we got snow today.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Saw a green 60s era Karmann Ghia out in the constant rain today, looked to be in mint condition (rain can do that), obviously restored - hope it was rustproofed.
    Talk about rare, this is a unicorn here in America.

1996 or so model of this European minivan. I bet a diplomat from the Spanish Embassy owns it.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    There are lots of nice old cars running around Tucson AZ, preserved by the dry desert air, but it seems like just about every Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 (not to be confused withe the current FJ Cruiser) has ended up there. Today on a drive thru the city I saw a white hardtop and a white over mustard yellow h/t, both were in very good shape.

What neat old 4x4s!

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

White over pale pastel turquoise '56 Chevy Two-Ten 4-door sedan, V8. Looked nice and parts of the turquoise on the roof and trunk were worn through, indicating either original paint or old repaint. No obvious rust, car sat evenly at all four corners and had the original-style dog-dish hubcaps. It was in the parking lot of our local restaurant "The Pufferbelly Ltd." which is the former Erie-Lackawanna train station in our town, a beautiful and grand building for a town of 28K residents.

I know they made a zillion of them, but a '56 Chevy is the first car I remember my folks having. What a pleasant, simple design IMHO...no wonder they were very good sellers. Since the first Chevelles almost a decade later were of similar size and shape and character, it's no wonder, IMHO, that those cars were great sellers right out of the box, too.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Saw a mean looking 70 Chevelle 2 door HT today, probably an SS but at an angle where I couldn't see the badging.
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    I drove a '70 SS396 to my high school prom(in '71). It was the deep green metallic, no markings other than the badge on the sides...no stripes, no scoops...beautiful car!
    edited December 2012
    Recent posting by the gentleman who was head of Studebaker of Canada's Advertising Dept. from '63 to '66, during the period all production became centered in Canada, about 'where were you when JFK was assassinated' (from Studebaker Drivers' Club Forum):

I was on a Mercedes-Benz launch project on November 22nd 1963. The following comes from my book, "My Father The Car", relating to that day. Just thought you might be interested in it.

The Grand Mercedes launch involved two vehicles the S600 and the S600 Pullman Limousine. My Studebaker associate, Lillian Morris, had been assigned to work with me on the launch and we were both truly excited. The cars were put on display at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto on Thursday November 21st and the point of sales material had been erected. On our way into Toronto from Hamilton on November 22nd, our car radio programming was interrupted with the announcement..."Kennedy has been shot". By the time we arrived in Toronto, President Kennedy was dead. Needless to say, attendance at this well-planned launch was sparse, with onyl a few members of the auto-related press joining us.

Present with Lillian and me that day was the General Manager of Studebaker's Canadian Mercedes-Benz Division, Henry Beckman. A few short days later, Mr. Beckman flew to Montreal to brief the Quebec dealers on the exciting new cars. On Friday November 29, he boarded Trans Canada Airlines Flight 831 leaving Montreal's Dorval Airport for Toronto in late afternoon. The aircraft. a McDonnell Douglas DC8-54F, crashed shortly after takeoff after encountering "an uncommanded extension of the pitch trim compensator". At least that was the official determination following the crash investigation. One hundred and eighteen souls were lost that day, including Mr. Beckman.

An eerie sidebar to this TCA crash came to light years later. After Lee Harvey Oswald's apprehension as the Kennedy assassin, suspicion immediately was raised there could be a second rifleman. This suspect was identified as Walter Ohlinger, a man of German descent. His movements follwoing the assassination took him to Montreal by car which he parked at Dorval Airport. Mr. Ohlinger boarded TCA flight 831 for Toronto and also perished with the other passengers. As in so many other scenarios, suspicion later was raised that flight 831 had been sabotaged in order to eliminate the second assassin. We will never know.

Now you know "the rest of the story".
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    "At least that was the official determination following the crash investigation. One hundred and eighteen souls were lost that day, including Mr. Beckman.

An eerie sidebar to this TCA crash came to light years later. After Lee Harvey Oswald's apprehension as the Kennedy assassin, suspicion immediately was raised there could be a second rifleman. This suspect was identified as Walter Ohlinger, a man of German descent. His movements follwoing the assassination took him to Montreal by car which he parked at Dorval Airport. Mr. Ohlinger boarded TCA flight 831 for Toronto and also perished with the other passengers. As in so many other scenarios, suspicion later was raised that flight 831 had been sabotaged in order to eliminate the second assassin. We will never know."

Sorry, my BS meter just pegged. Every bad situation has some huge nasty conspiracy behind it. 99% of the time, it's just nonsense.
    Mr. Beckman did die on that crash. The Walter Ohlinger story I couldn't confirm--there's a guy out there with that name who's been linked to the assassination all over the 'net, but I couldn't find anything else that put him on that plane.

I do know the poster of the story, and he's a very warm and helpful gentleman who has been a past president of the Studebaker Drivers' Club and a big supporter of the Studebaker National Museum, which among museums of independent makes, would surprise many folks I think with its scope and quality.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Stageway-Pontiac-Catalina-Airporter-Limousin- e-15-Passenger-8-Door-Wagon-/271118103858?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f1fe5f532

That thing looks like it would break in half! ;)

The ad calls it a "Catalina", but the upholstery I see is what was used in the Executive, and also the Ventura option of Catalina (which removed all mention of 'Catalina' on the car).
    I did just see something on the 'net that supposedly put Walter Ohlinger on that plane, but...who knows.

I have read a lot on the JFK assassination as to me, prior to 9/11 anyway, it was no doubt the single most influential historical and even cultural occurrence in my lifetime. Some of the stuff out there is farcical though.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Conspiracy theories just irk me. Trouble is, a lot of people are willing to accept them as fact. I remember when the movie "JFK" came out, I went to see it with a girl I sort of liked. When we left the theater, she thought she had seen a documentary, and went on and on about how the facts that she had just seen had been covered up. She never got the idea that it was just an Oliver Stone exercise in conspiracies. I stopped seeing her shortly thereafter...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    For the kind of money they're asking, you'd think they could fix the steering wheel...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6