Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• Options
    xspeedyxspeedy Member Posts: 3
    Priceline is also a good way to get cheap rates for the Marriott and Renaissance. I think I paid about $52 for the Marriott. The Ren would be slightly cheaper.
  • Options
    marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    I plan on going to Germany in June or July of 2004. What model year will I get if I take delivery then?
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Unless BMW does a spring introduction of a new model and badges it with the following year, all cars produced through about August are the current year. They switch over in late-Aug and early-Sept to the new model year - I think they actually shut the plant down for the changeover. So if you want the "next year", you have to pick it up in late-Sept at the earliest.

- Mark
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm having a problem with the supposition that the transport segment of the ED program will only take a week or two to the east coast. I was living in northern New Jersey when I did my ED trip for my 530i, and from the point of drop-off at E.H. Harms in Munich to the day it was delivered to Park Avenue BMW, the time it took was bang on 4 weeks.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    lilipeutialilipeutia Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone found a dealer in the vicinity of Boston who will negotiate on the price of ED? I've tried several and all say they charge ED list for ED cars.
  • Options
    Did you make an offer under list? Dealers generally say they charge ED list until you make an offer under ED list. If I had a penny for every car salesperson who has said, "This is the best we can do," and then they did better, I'd be a rich man.

- Mark
  • Options
    lilipeutialilipeutia Member Posts: 9
    I said that I wanted to negotiate the ED price. One dealer emailed back that they didn't negotiate. The other dealers didn't even reply.
  • Options
    Back in 2002, I was nearing the end of the lease on my 1999 328i, and fearing BMW would "Banglize" the 5-Series, decided that I wanted a new 530i while it still looked good. Given that the dealership where I leased my 328i had given me a very nice deal (especially considering the hot selling E46 had only been out for two months at the time), I went to them first.

To my dismay, my previous salesman had been promoted up into the management ranks of the dealership chain, and was no longer able to take care of me. The new salesman they assigned me left me cold, to say the least, and when I tried to negotiate on the 530i, he said, "You are already getting enough of a discount with the ED program, what more do you want." Needless to say, I was less than pleased.

The next day, I called another BMW dealership that was not even ten miles up the very same road from the first one and asked them for a $1,500 over ED invoice deal on a 530i. They called me back in less than ten minutes and asked me if I was ready to do the deal. We signed the paperwork an hour later. ;-)

Epilogue: Ten weeks later, on the day I took U.S. delivery of my 530i, I noticed that the guy who was assigned to be my salesman from the first dealership was now selling used cars in the second dealership. It seems that he got canned shortly after I informed his boss that I leased my new car down the road.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    Most international fares are refundable after a $100-200 fee. You still might be able to save some money with the 2 for 1 deal if you cancel and rebook with Lufthansa. This is assuming that Lufthansa will give you a similar price for their 2 for 1 deal.
  • Options
    dk3307dk3307 Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I are thinking about taking the kids (12&16) to get a X3 ED and vacation (7 to 10 days) this summer. Is it a good idea? It is better not to bring the kids? Any suggestions on where to go and stay in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
  • Options
    motenor1motenor1 Member Posts: 35
    OK..what is there to see in Munich? I am taking delivery in Feb 04 and can't wait... i am also staying at rennaisance. how far is it from the delivery center?

Also, how long does the delivery take? i arrive around 10:30 am and head directly to the center. i know they close at 3 pm.

do i need my driver's licence translated to german? i went to german embassy and said i need to ask AAA. hmmmm
  • Options
    As for Munich sights, well, since my wife went with me on my ED trip, and since she is in the garment industry, we went SHOPPING! I must say, Munich has a wonderful shopping district, I even liked it. :-/

Depending upon how busy they are, your delivery should take between 1.5 and 2.5 hours.

As for having your license translated, horse hockey! I've driven all over Europe including Germany many times, I've even been given the "Once over" by the Stuttgart police at a road block coming out of the Volksfest (Stuttgart’s version of Oktoberfest). They were checking for drunk drivers, and since I admitted to having a single beer (1.5 liters!), four hours previously, I got the full treatment including a breathalyzer (sp?) test, I blew a .008 by the way. Every officer that I have ever approached (or who approached me) in Europe has spoken fluent English.

Have fun on your trip. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    If you are going to visit Austria, I recommend getting an International Driver's license from AAA just in case. Austria does require International license unless the driver possesses an EU license.
  • Options
    530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    You will need the International License for Austria. Also be aware that Austria has developed a reputation as a speed trap, you will have tourist plates on your car and the tunnels have cameras for checking speeds; 60 kph(35 MPH) for two way tunnels, 80 kph (45 MPH) for two lanes in one direction.

Austria and Switzerland require gas or road tax stamps. Austria's are available at most gas stations, especially near the border. Switzerland's are available at the Border Station.

The first thing Austrian Police check for when they pull you over is the stamp. It costs 6 Euros, the fine is either 126 E or 136 E. By the way, speeding fines are payable on the spot, but they do take credit cards.

I did get pulled over, I was the middle car in a group of three and I am sure it was random. I did have the road stamp. Speeding fine was 30 E.

Otherwise, get something called a trip ticket for Munich at a bookstore here before you go. Ours had maps of the city, subway maps, motel and restaurant guides, a description of the top 25 attractions and other items. Munich is easy to get around by subway and walking.

Lucerne is worth a visit and the best French Restaurant we found is off A9 near Vevay, Switzerland.

We plan to do a ED again this summer or next.
  • Options
    bavarianbavarian Member Posts: 63
    How long are you visiting Germany for? I know some buyers get the next plane out after pick up-they save money but miss the wonderful experience of driving in Germany. Although I did save money on ED I would do it again just for the experience, regardless of savings.

My ED pickup in Sept took one hour at 10am. 20 mins after setting down my bags I was joined in the bistro by Chris from BMW and the paperwork (insurance docs etc) was conducted in 15 mins over espressos. Showing me the car took 20 minutes and would have been quicker but for the navigation demo.

I would urge you to get out of Munich after pick-up and get on the Autobahn south to the Bavarian Alps. Within 15 minutes from pick-up you can be cruising at 100mph and half an hour later be up in the mountains, in the twisties, shouting "yee-ha!"
    Mittenwald is a good lunch stop-Post Hotel is reccommended. From there you might want to head over to Schwangau and bed down at the Hotel Muller with views of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles and do a tour in the morning.

In Munich you will likely want to walk as it is very pedestrian friendly. Yes there are great shops for clothes and stunning chocolate shops. There is a wild rushing river (The Isar) running through the city, a great open park (Englisher garten)and a superb museum (Deutsches Museum) with a fine transportation section (historic BMWs, Mercs, Audis).

I can vouch for the Spatenhaus (opposite the National Opera) and the Ratskeller (under Marienplatz) if you are hungry or thirsty.These are huge restaurants with no waiting and superb basic cuisine. Loosen your belt.

Frauenkirche is a church with a panoramic view and has an elevator to the top and Marienplatz is a tourist must-see for the mechanical clock and is a good people-watching spot.

I didn't rush around sightseeing much- I toured around in the car, in the Alps and north to the Rhineland as Munich was one of those cities I figured I would return to.

As Shipo says- a valid US driver's lisence is 100% fine for ED pick-up.

A splendid time is guaranteed for all on an ED trip!

Norris, trusting you bought a manual with SP?
  • Options
    hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    Other recommended sights:

1. Drive south to Garmish - see the Zugspitze (a tram to the top of Germany's tallest mountain).

2. Nurburgring - your car won't be broken in yet to drive it properly, but you can ride with a professional driver in their car. www.nurburgring.de

3 Augustiner brauhaus in Munich was my favorite
  • Options
    It was posted here a year or two ago that they would not let ED cars with the tourist plates on the Ring, the car needed to be a car registered in the EU. Yes, no?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    No ED is news to me; know someone who took his ED M3 there 2 summers ago (drove with moderation), so maybe the policy is new.

By the way, I screwed up the link earlier:

www.nueburgring.de
  • Options
    postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    Greetings! You were one of several who guided me into my first ED. (I hope to do my second one next year.) When you mention "Augustiner brauhaus in Munich was my favorite" are you referring to Augustiner Keller on Arnulfe Strasse? If so, I heartily concur!
  • Options
    jakumabajakumaba Member Posts: 9
    1. According to everything I know and have experienced, and you can check this with the BMW folks in Munich, you needn't spend any money in Austria on gas/road use stamps, decals, or whatever, UNLESS you use the highway system. I know I didn't either buy the stamps, or drive the Austrian autobahn. You can verify that here, for instance: http://www.autoeurope.com/driving.cfm?country=Austria

2. I concur with trying a drive south, toward Austria, to Garmish. There's wonderful scenery on that route, and typically a lot less traffic (for winding it up a bit, but I personally wouldn't be doing 100 mph right out of the chute).

3. I also concur with seeing the Isar river while in Munich. It seems oddly clean and wild, as mentioned. It is worth going out of your way to find. Also, there are plenty of beer gardens, all probably equally good, so take a walk around and find yourself one (BMW gives you a Munich walking guide, with plenty of scenic routes). While in Munich, I would find a small "authentic" German restaurant, one that doesn't have an English menu. Most eatable things German will be either translatable, or the wait staff can explain in English. I went to one of the larger restaurants (yes, you'll certainly be loosening your belt), but was disappointed in the atmosphere and quality, compared with a smaller local restaurant. Almost too much food at the big halls, and only so-so taste (yes, even including the beer).

4. Finally, FWIW, find yourself a B&B in Munich. Most are extremely high quality, and much less expensive than a hotel. You can find them by googling or buy yourself a Lonely Planet guide or something equivalent. Usually, they're located in a less touristy block, you'll meet more Germans, and you'll enjoy the independence of being away from tourists (not just Americans, but Japanese, English, Italians, etc.).
    Munich is an incredibly safe city in terms of thievery, muggings, etc. . Most people park their bicycles on the sidewalks without locks, even leaving them there overnight. Too bad we don't have cities so civilized. In any case, don't be afraid to walk around, at any time of day or night.

Enjoy your adventure.
  • Options
    I toured Austria a couple times in 1999 and 2000. Things may have changed but ... I didn't do anything special with respect to licensing or my US driver's license. There were some sections of autobahn that required a special license and I avoided these, that was the only restriction I was told about and paid attention to. They're clearly marked.

Mostly I drove country two -anes. My impression on both trips were that drivers paid little attention to speed limits except in town - on the country roads, everybody drove as they pleased and the drivers are very skilled - some going crazy-fast, others poking along. It is a totally different experience than in the states where you feel like you're in a herd of gazelles all doing 5-10 over and watching for the state trooper lions hiding in the bushes. I even passed some cops doing 20-30 clicks over and we'd wave to each other - once I might have been flashed to slow down. I really get the impression that they're more interested in safety than revenue generation.

But again ... I generally stayed off the autobahns and I adhered closely to the speed limits in the towns.

I love driving in Europe except in the cities where the traffic density just goes off the scale and parking is impossible. It is also highly desirable to avoid August when everyone is on vacation. If you stay in the country, it is some of the most enjoyable driving to be found

- Mark
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    How much does one save with the ED program, for example if you were buying a 325xi with a list of $35,000 (with options of course) what would that cost over Europe? Thanks
  • Options
    All the numbers to do the cost comparison are published on the net - their are pointers to web sites in this forum.

But in round numbers, for a 325xi, you're probably going to be able to bargain about $1500 over invoice, whether you do USD or ED, so the basic ED discount is going to be around 8% of the MSRP of the base car, say about $2.5K.

Against this $2.5K, you have to weigh the cost and value of a trip to Europe (which can vary widely depending on whether you want to go anyway and what flight options you have), and the issue that you will be paying for the car before you leave, which can amount to an extra couple car payments with no car. Also, trade-ins can be trickier if you have to give up your car before you go and don't have a car while it is being shipped.

For some, its the greatest bargain in car buying around. For others, its a lot of trouble and expensive to save a relatively small amount. It all depends on your situation and POV.

For most, if you want an Euro adventure, its a great deal. If you just want your car cheaply, its not worth it.

- Mark
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    hbouhbou Member Posts: 13
    With European delivery, do you pay the $675 destination charge? Also, has anyone heard of having to pay a 15% deposit for Euro delivery, which is then reimbursed when you pick up the car in the US? Thank you for your help!!!!
  • Options
    Ummm, Yes and horse hockey.

The destination charge applies regardless of how the car was purchased. The 15% deposit, however, is another matter, my deposit on my 530i was $1,000.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I had heard that you pay a deposit when you order a ED car, typically a few months before you plan on getting it in Europe. The deposit amount and refundability is negotiable with the dealer but $1K-$2K is customary and most dealers don't want you backing out of a ED car, so they will want a non-refundable deposit.

You then pay for the car in full at least 30-days before you are to take delivery in Europe.

No other charges and no "reimbursement" schemes.

- Mark
  • Options
    My salesman didn't even ask me for a deposit.
  • Options
    derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    It's nice to see so many "old-timers" from the 3-series board still alive and kicking here like shipo, hgeyer, postoak, nyccarguy, seivwrig :-) I just spent the past hour or two reading through the whole thread and it's good to see that ED is still going strong.

I've got another year of warranty left on my '02 330i, which I'm still loving, but I'm considering something like a Prius or maybe a motorcycle (note to BMW: bring the C1 to the US!) as a replacement when the time comes (long story). My father is loving his '03 530i that we picked up in July '03, but I'm not sure we'll be doing another one soon since he doesn't like the new 5-er styling. Fortunately, my wife will be looking to replace her SLK this spring/summer so I'm starting the subtle process of pushing her toward another ED trip.
  • Options
    cheng6991cheng6991 Member Posts: 10
    I plan to buy 330i ZHP with xenon, leather and cold package thrugh ED delivery. Does anyone has idea what the reasonable price will this car be?
  • Options
    As the first person I can remember recommending the Hotel Uhland in Munich you might be interested to know that they've really taken to it over at bimmerfest. There are many in the ED forum there who have stayed there (indirectly because of you) and loved it.

I'm still hanging out in Ed forums because there's a good chance I'll do another one next year. If the E90 is not to my liking though, then it may be on an MB of some kind.
  • Options
    330iii330iii Member Posts: 71
    I took delivery of my Munich Pickup E60 yesterday afternoon and i noticed something funny. My front bumper had those two "little doors" that open up for the headlight washers.I could've sworn they were not there when i dropped off my baby at E.H. Harms.The weird thing is that i never ordered the cold weather package.
  • Options
    aukemaaukema Member Posts: 19
    DK3307

My wife and I have children the same age and are thinking about a ED on a X3 3.0i. We feel if the children get much older they won't want to go with us. Touring Europe in a vehicle of choice, saving money on the purchase price and car rental is the way to go. I understand it takes 6-8 weeks for the vehicle to arrive stateside but we can get by with the two cars we have currently. I met a couple in the book store that did the ED on a 3xx and toured S Germany, N Italy and France in 2weeks. Really thought it was a great experience. The price I have been quoted is 1750 over ED invoice. That is a 4000 savings off US MSRP or 2500 off some accepted offers. Let me know what you have decided to do.

Thanks
  • Options
    dk3307dk3307 Member Posts: 8
    aukema,

Our dealership here would not have any 2.5 until mid Feb. We want to test drive the 2.5 before we decide to buy the 3.0 or 2.5. We don't need the car until Aug so we have a lot of time to decide. I will keep you posted. Thanks.
  • Options
    In an effort to evaluate the difference between the two engines I might suggest that you try driving a 525i and a 530i with the same transmission as you would like in your X3. Given that the 5er, when compared to an X3, will be about a second quicker to sixty you can determine that if the 525i is more than fast enough, than the X3 2.5 should be adequate. However, if the 530i is only marginally fast enough, you certainly will not like the 2.5 mill and should opt for the 3.0.

I have read numerous posts that many folks can't really tell the difference between the two, well, no offence, but there is a huge difference according to my "Butt Dyno".

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    Assuming BMW FS offers leases on ED cars, would the money factor be different (compared to non-ED)?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Nope...the MF is the same. But, since you have to pay for the car before you pick it up, and then have a six week wait for it to be delivered to your dealer, you usually have to make 2-3 lease payments before you get the car.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I don't see how one could avoid paying less than two. I lived in NJ when I did my ED, and due to the fact that you make your first lease payment one month prior to your arrival in Munich, there is your first month, the boat ride for us East Coast types is a second month. For folks on the Left Coast, it's more like 10-12 weeks from the first lease payment to the U.S. delivery of the car.

In my case, I needed a car in Europe one way or another, so I just considered my extra 2 months of lease payments as my European car rental.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    i am doing my ed mid february, which do i leave on the car, the front or back license plates? also, what type of tool do i need to bring to detach the plate?
  • Options
    Take the front plate with you just before you drop off at E.H. Harms,leave the rear plate on. I used the screwdriver provided in the trunk tool kit. To my surprise the rear plate was in my trunk when i took delivery stateside!
  • Options
    Also take the first aid kit and safety triangle if you definitely want to keep them. The first aid kit will also have to be in your checked in luggage, it contains a pair of scissors.

Our rear plate was still on the car when it arrived at the dealer, although the dealer may have put it on before we arrived.
  • Options
    6fanatic6fanatic Member Posts: 16
    Anyone have a 6 ordered for ED?
  • Options
    But the queue is long.
  • Options
    6fanatic6fanatic Member Posts: 16
    When did you order and when do you pick up? Did you get european invoice pricing or pay a premium? I hear that if ordering a 04 model now pick up is around July and that an 05 model ordred in a month or two can be picked up as early as Oct 04...
  • Options
  • Options
    aukemaaukema Member Posts: 19
    dk3307,

Ok, my wife and I took the plunge yesterday and purchased the x3 for ED for the end of May. The purchase price was $1750 off the ED MSRP. I figure the $2500 savings for ED and $1000 savings on a car rental will more than cover the air fair and some of the vacation cost.

Unfortunately we were planing to use frequent flier miles for 2 tickets but discovered with Delta you need to plan a year in advance for available seats. We are looking into the Lufthansa offer of 2 for 1. We'll know next week the cost of the tickets and availability.

Anyone that has done ED, please let me know were you stayed in Munich, how long it took for the pick-up process, factory tour (is it worth the time), and museum. We are thinking of touring southern Germany and northern Italy with a drop-off at Munich. Would appreciate any comments from individuals that have done the same.
    Thanks,
  • Options
    Could you have paid 1750 over ED confidential wholesale invoice instead? Maybe you can take your deal to another dealership and try to meet or beat it? I stayed at Movenpick near Munchen airport but that was for only one night. I flew out of JFK on 12-06 Saturday night,arrived in Munchen (Munich)late Sunday morning 12-07.Woke up first thing 12-08 Monday morning 600am,checked out of the hotel,hopped a cab to Freimann Delivery Center,picked up my E60,took some food for the road compliments of BMW with the voucher. Then i drove to the local BMW dealer (Niederlassing)picked up some toys and drove to E.H. Harms in Garching. Dropped off the car,got a cab back to the airport for my 330pm flight. I was back at JFK 600pm Monday night! Cost:350 for the nonstop flight on Lufthansa, 80 for the hotel thru Expedia. By the way i found out that your car must be on the ship at least 5 days prior (due to 9-11-01) or you have to wait for the next ship. My E60 was brought to my ship on 12-09 the ship set sail on 12-10.I had to wait for the next one on 12-24 otherwise i would have probably gotten it 2 weeks sooner!
  • Options
    gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    The confidential ED Munchen Delivery base price for the X3 is $30,720. A good price is $1,500 over the confidential wholesale price for the vehicle including destination charge and all options.
  • Options
    We stayed at Four Points in the Olymic Park. I cannot remember the chain. They have secure parking, is near all BMW Facilities and is an easy subway ride to the delivery center, one transfer. It is much easier to use Munich's Subway system than to drive around Munich to various sights.

I also highly recommend Lucerne, Switzerland. Also,the McDonald's in Innsbrook has the best McDonald's parking lot view I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Since no one else has answered...

It's been 1 1/2 years since I went and the dollar has collapsed against the Euro since then so take this for what it's worth. From the airport to my hotel (about 6 miles past the delivery center) was $45.