Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    edited September 2010
    I don't buy that it is more accurate. Who sez? Dealers? Galves?

Fair question. Answer is: me.
    Based on my many years of experience here bouncing numbers off the pros who were kind enough to provide me and countless others auction numbers (who are all gone or retired now, by the way, so I'm just trying to fill in as best I can), I found that Galves mirrored those about 99% of the time. And the free sites are way over real auction numbers 99.9% of the time.

And just worrying about your trade-in is short sighted. Believe it or not, many many folks don't have a trade in. And it is those folks who can benefit most from knowing auction numbers because they will know what the dealer really paid. If they go by KBB, for example, they will pay WAY too much.

But, by all means, no need for you to take the advice I have paid for and am now passing along for free.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2010
    Really? So you believe that all the posters here are simply good guys trying to help everyone out? And you believe that a car salesman would not come on here and try to convince people of arrangements that favor him?

If so, I am assuming that you also believe in the tooth fairy.

I don't know whether I believe him but at least grozen has not thrown out snide, immature comments.
  • Options
    I still don't buy it. You are still playing the dealer's and Galves' game. Knowing what some dealers pay for some lease returns does not paint the whole picture. Again, some are lease returns that go to the dealer (e.g. corporate leases). Some are trade ins. Some are loaners. There are too many non auction cars and too many other variables besides the auction rates.

Again, I don't think it can hurt to know the auction rates, so again, in my view it is just one tool. And one that is not relevant in many areas of the country. I just think you need to do other research (e.g. this forum), bargain hard, and not believe a single word car dealers say. And look at Galves, KBB and TMV.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    ... but, when it comes to trade-ins, auction values are all that matter..

Galves is just a published version of auction values.(as noted, it's a regional publication... mostly the Northeast). Most dealers use an on-line service, MMR.. Manheim Market Report.. Manheim is the biggest automobile auction company in the country. When you bring your trade in for appraisal, they pull up the numbers of recent sales (usually within the last week), and that's the real money they'll offer you for your car. If your car is an odd color, has a few extra miles, or is missing options normally found on that model, then they will start deducting.

They don't care about KBB, Edmunds, NADA, or any other book or on-line value. (unless they are using it to inflate the value of one of their cars). As a consumer, knowing the MMR value for your car will let you know what you can really get for it. Most other numbers are pie in the sky.

As far as this forum? We do a pretty good job weeding out the shills, though I'm certain we miss a few, now and then. Plus, salespeople are more than welcome to post, as long as they are on topic, and aren't posing as someone else (also, no solicitation, identification, etc, etc... okay, we don't make it easy for them). You can get great info from the Prices Paid forums, but you have to filter posts for real information, and disregard posts that don't include all the variables. That's no different than if your next door neighbor tells you he got a great deal.

I joined Edmunds/CarSpace about 8 years ago, when I started shopping for my wife's BMW. It's all about getting info, and giving info back..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    Have any new body style CTS-Vs gone through galves lately? What are those going for?

What's Gavles say about my wife's 2007 BMW X3 (Montego Blue, Black Leatherette, Rear Privacy Glass, Steptronic, Heated Front Seats, 45K miles) that we returned about a month ago? The buyout according to our lease was $26K & change. IIRC, the dealer offered to sell it to us for $21,600, but then wanted an additional $2995 to CPO it + tax. I figured (my own guesstimation) the auction value (what they could buy it from BMWFS for) is somewhere in the high $18K to mid $19K range.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    They are valuing the '09 CTSV w/23k miles at $41-$42k. Add $800 for moonroof and $900 for Navi. They don't have a value for the '10.

On the X3, looks to be $19,200 on the low end. So you were right on.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    I am negotiating on a 2008 335i - the dealer tells me that there is no special APR rate on 2008 3 Series models (only on 2007 3 Series). The BMW website says 'from 0.9% APR for 2007 AND 2008 3 Series' - but this has to be checked with the dealer. The dealer showed me the BMWFS offering sheet - and for 2008 nothing is marked for special APR.

Is anyone aware how I can check what, if any special financing is available for 2008 CPO 3 Series?
  • Options
    Yummy! A Supercharged 556hp V8 RWD for mid $40K! Not too shabby.

Thanks for the info.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    miles247miles247 Member Posts: 1
    First time car buyer here. Looking for hlep on getting a good price
    options•Auto-Dimming Mirrors
    •Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
    •BMW Assist w/Bluetooth
    •Dakota Leather Upholstery
    •Digital Compass Mirror
    •Increased Top Speed Limiter
    •Lumbar Support
    •Navigation System
    •Premium Package
    •Real Time Traffic Information
    •SIRIUS Satellite Radio
    •Shadowline Exterior Trim
    •Sport Leather Steering Wheel
    •Sport Package
    •Sport Suspension
    •Sports Leather Steering Wheel w/Paddle Shifters
    •Transmission: 6-Speed STEPTRONIC Automatic
    •Universal Garage-Door Opener
    •Voice Command
    •iPod & USB Adapter

MSP is $50,600. looking to purchase . What would be a good OTD price to offer?
  • Options
    mjm87mjm87 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2010
    So I currently own a 2009 Ford Escape XLT with 7500 miles on it. It has custom leather, spoiler, sync, and is an I4 4WD vehicle. The car is fully paid off and nothing is owed on it. I am considering selling/trading in my Escape for a CPO 328xi.

I am hoping to get as close as I can to an even swap, but I know that will be unlikely. The Escape is in excellent condition and is valued around $20,000 according to KBB. The 328xi's I have been looking at run anywhere from 25-30k.

I am looking for any advice, is this a good decision and how much should I expect to get for the Escape at BMW dealer and what kind of difference would I be looking at?

Thanks
  • Options
    junglejuicejunglejuice Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

looking to lease 335 xi and Edmunds has a fine print saying:

"0 Down Lease is based on a 2011 335i xDrive Sedan equipped with optional automatic transmission, Premium package and destination charge. MSRP as equipped is $47,500. $1,795 Dealer contribution and $1,840 Option Credit are required for the $539 monthly payment. Must finance through BMW Financial Services. See participating dealer for details."

I know that the $1,840 is the all wheel drive rebate that i can use to bring down the cap cost. but what is the $1,795 dealer contribution? what is the dealer contributing exactly?

thanks
  • Options
    runnernicrunnernic Member Posts: 15
    I was just in BMW today. They quoted me a price of $498.88 per month for the 328xi with navigation, leather, space gray metallic paint, heated steering wheel, premium and value package. This is with NO money down except for the fees and first month payment. I have a 2008 CX-7 that has a year left on the lease and they are going to appraise it and see if a deal can be worked out. Besides having my truck to trade in, is the lease price I recieved a decent price? ANy opinions on getting rid of my lease early? Thanks so much in advance for all the help!
  • Options
    To see if your lease is a good deal, we need to see more than just the monthly payment. What is the MSRP & selling price of the car? What is the money factor you were quoted (dealers sometimes mark this up to make back end $)? What is the residual value? How long & for how many miles are you leasing? Does your payment include sales tax? What is the sales tax rate where you live?

• Options
    runnernicrunnernic Member Posts: 15
    It's a 36 month/12,000 mile month lease. It includes sales tax, no cap cost reduction, and the MSRP is $42,870. Sales tax is 7%. I definitely need to bargain a little bit. I am going back Thursday morning to talk prices more in depth. I just wanted to get a basic idea of approx how much a lease should be per month. Thank you for responding!
  • Options
    fxa76fxa76 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of leasing the 328 as well. First time leasing car. What does it mean "$1,795 Dealer contribution and $1,840 Option Credit".Can you reduce the MSRP of the car by the amount of 1795 and 1840, hence paying lowering monthly payment.

Thanks in advance for your reply
  • Options
    Posts about other members, rather than the topic of this discussion are not allowed or appreciated....

So.. if your posts are gone, you know why...

Now, let's stick to the topic, please...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    Thanks. I was in this board earlier this morning and was looking for a link to report off-topic offensive messages.
  • Options
    specs3specs3 Member Posts: 1
    I was in a BMW dealership today finalizing a purchase of a 3 series. I had previously agreed to an amount over dealer cost. I was surprised to see two amounts listed as dealer cost "MACO" for $250 and "Training/Service Fee" for $200. The rep explained that those were actual charges from the factory on my specific vehicle and were part of the dealer cost. I have not seen any reference to these charges in my on line research. He did say that each state/region might be charged something different here but that they were standard factory charges. He said he could not waive these fees essentially eliminating the margin we had agreed to. I did not finalize the deal. Does this make sense and is it fair? Any information here appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    bmw_gssbmw_gss Member Posts: 19
    Been driving my 7K miles 2010 328Xi for about 3 weeks now. Owned a Honda before. I find the car is sluggish to accelerate from complete stop (stop sign/red lite)..I am not sure if its to do with not pressing the pedal hard enuff (having been used to Honda) or if theres something wrong with the car? I got honked at a couple of times for not taking off fast enough and when I tried to press harder at other times, I ended up jumping out with a jerky motion....I am told the 0 to 60 is pretty good in these cars, but I actually feel my Honda accelerated more effortlessly minus the sluggishness, than my bimmer, which upsets me.....any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Depends on what configuration your Honda was, but if a previous gen V6, then it was, in fact, faster than a 328xi. The bimmer can be a quick car, but you've hampered it with AWD and an auto trans.

• Options
    bestdeal4bestdeal4 Member Posts: 8
    after reading posts on this site for two months, i pulled the trigger. just ordered a 2011 328xi, auto, prem pkg, prem color, value pkg, and xenon lights. 36 month lease/10,000 miles per year with $2,500 total out of pocket for $415 per month.
    long island, new york. the money factor and residual are great and the cap cost was $300 over invoice.
    drove the g37x and bmw 328xi back to back, the g37 is faster. but the overall cars are not even close.
    tuning in a 2008 a4 2.t, great car, burns oil. the current audi lease program is really poor.
    second car is a 2010 audi Q5 3.2
  • Options
    sharkalasharkala Member Posts: 48
    Just curious, what did the dealer say about your 2008 CX7 and how will that add to your lease?
  • Options
    infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    MACO and training fees are typically part of what a BMW dealer includes in the invoice price. These have been discussed elsewhere in these forums. Your best bet is to take your deal to another dealer and find out if he will beat it.

Don't wait too long as I have heard that there is a 1% price increase coming on 10/1, but may not apply to orders in the system on that date (or inventory.) The increase could equal the savings you might get by going to another dealer.
  • Options
    Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas seem to be tuned to win the battle of the stoplight. I don't know how many times I have seen the futbol mom scream off the line in her Odyssey, Quest or Sienna. As opposed to leaving stoplight rubber, I have always preferred the torque which sports sedans have for coming out of tight curves, accelerating onto freeways and passing on mountain roads.

In addition to that and what gfrozen identifies - the AWD as an inhibitor - if I use sport or the manumatic in my 328i AT, it is pretty quick.
  • Options
    lmcjcaolmcjcao Member Posts: 16
    First time leasing, looking at 2011 335i coup, MSRP $53,290
    Selling price $51,290 Residual 0.69 Money factor .00215... state tax 6.5%
    With 24 months term, $10,000 down and $540 a month.

Thanks
  • Options
    chuckietchuckiet Member Posts: 5
    This seems like a horrendous deal on the surface for the following reasons:
    1) $2k off MSRP is poor. You should be looking for $350-$1000 over INVOICE
    2) The 9/2010 buy rate for a 24 month lease is .00175. Where do they get .00215? Possibly a credit score issue?
    3) Never, ever put any money down on a lease (cap cost reduction). If you wreck the car leaving the dealer or it is stolen, that money is gone. Put it in a bank account and draw payments from it.

Please take the time to understand how leases work!
  • Options
    lmcjcaolmcjcao Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the advice.

1). Edmunds show the invoice for the same package I am looking at is $49,055. I will go back to negotiate on the price
    2). I have pretty good score (over 750)... not sure where they get the money factor from. The reason I was given 24 month lease is they said the term could be only as long as the visa duration here in US.
    3). Good point, I am going to do some research on leasing to understand how this works.
  • Options
    chuckietchuckiet Member Posts: 5
    Check out www.bimmerfest.com and look at the 3 series e90... forum as well at the "ask a dealer forum". Tons of good info there!

The money factor could have been marked up by the dealer, but they usually don't go more than .0004 over the BMWFS "buy rate" (I could be wrong on the number, but they are limited as to how much they can mark it up). One other thing, make sure the acquisition fee is $725. They are allowed to mark up to $925 and that's just pure profit.

Good luck with your negotiations!
  • Options
    loranzoloranzo Member Posts: 7
    Folks going for my first bmw....looking at one 2006 BMW 328i with 42,000 miles, and premium package. It is a CPO with warranty til 2012. The listed price is 18,991 was thinking of offering $16,000 but not sure if that would be too low. Any suggestions please! Thank you all.
  • Options
    rangers11rangers11 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    I bought a 2011 328 coupe with Xdrive in September and am awaiting delivery. Does anyone know if the rates changed for the BMW Select financing from September to October? I paid $43,675 with the following options listed below. My monthly payment is about $490 with nothing down or out of pocket over 5 years with a balloon payment just under 18,000. Is this a good deal?

Premium
    Automatic
    Navigation
    Harmon Kardon
    Satelite Radio
    Metallic Paint
    Heated Seats
  • Options
    zloxzlox Member Posts: 2
    Would someone please post Auction or Galves price for a car like this? Thanks!

2006 330xi CPO
    Automatic
    50K miles
    Premium Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    Heated Seats
    Navigation
  • Options
    Galves hits it at $18,500-$19,500

• Options
    tydantydan Member Posts: 2
    The price you are paying is pretty good. It is about $700 over invoice. However you monthly is too high. The APR for select financing for 3 series is 0.9%. Therefore your monthly should be around $438/month. You need to go back and ask for the 0.9% deal
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. The $490 includes taxes and is based on 5 years. They did say it iwas 0.9% financing how can I find out if they are trying to take advantage of me?
  • Options
    scottnsc2scottnsc2 Member Posts: 29
    The closest I can get is $486 unless I order one and even then I'll be subject to the Oct 1 price increase by not buying from dealer stock. Retail price is $39460, for 2011, auto, prem, metallic paint, heated seats (not winter package), sat radio. They are saying the $439 lease offer requires $1250 dealer participation (which I assume means discounting their car by $1250). They want me to pay the first payment, sales tax ($300 in SC) and $399 documentation fee (yeah, right) up front. Is $460 a more reasonable number. (I love this car, and probably won't walk away at $486, but I do want to feel I'm not geting screwed.)
  • Options
    pumpkleopumpkleo Member Posts: 4
    MSRP = 43,865
    Selling Price = 41,115
    Dealer Cost = 39,770
    Residual = 64%
    no money down
    10,000 miles per year
    $459 per month

Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    tydantydan Member Posts: 2
    @ 0.9% financing, each $1,000 financed is $17.05 per month. Therefore, take the total price plus tax tag and title minus the ballon payment divide by 1,000 and multiple by 17.05 to determine the monthly rate. Your monthly rate might be right if your are financing taxes and other items. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    rosenkreuzrosenkreuz Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I am considering purchasing a CPO 07 335i coupe.
    There are more than two cars available from different dealers.

~30k miles
    sports pkg
    premium pkg
    Auto transmission
    Nav or w/o Nav (I prefer w/o nav)

asking prices around 32k-33.5k.
    What would be a good deal on these cars?

I want to go down to 28-29k + tax, lic etc.
    Would that be possible?

Thanks.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    I've seen 2008 coupes with @20K miles listed for under 30K; their are lots of 2007s that are available in that price range.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Thanks for helping me. My taxes and fees are rolled into the payment but it should still be about $15 less then they are saying.
  • Options
    rosenkreuzrosenkreuz Member Posts: 6
    Even the CPO's?
    I've never seen a 07 CPO 335i coupe w/ sports pkg, premium pkg, and ~30k miles under $30k. All the ones under $30k are either high mileage or w/o sports pkg or black (I don't like black).

I don't think the dealers will go down below 29k and I feel like I am not negotiating well..
  • Options
    loranzoloranzo Member Posts: 7
    Just got a 2007 328i with premium package, xenon, satellite radio and 16,750 miles for 23.5K plus TTl. Was wondering if this was a good deal.

Thanks.
  • Options
    abryansabryans Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2011 328 Conv MSRP $54K. The sales rep is pushing select with the following terms based on a 800+ Score:

$2K Down
    $628 per month
    60 Months
    $21,000 Balloon Payment

Is this a good deal? I plan to only keep the car 3 years max, should I lease or do the BMW Select program?

Thanks in advanced. I appreciate the help.

Regards,

Anthony
  • Options
    What state are you in?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ckm1ckm1 Member Posts: 2
    Considering the purchase of a 2011 328xi

MSRP $43,640
    Value pkg
    Premium Pkg
    Convenience Pkg
    Heated Steering wheel
    Steptronic trans
    Metallic paint

Sell Price $40,050

Good deal or should I continue looking? Not interested in leasing. Will take BMW up on their 0.9% finance offer.

Thanks
  • Options
    voldermortvoldermort Member Posts: 67
    Hey guys, so this will be a CPO, and I would like to lease it. I've been looking at the forums, and can't find anything.....I am also on lunch break. so can you tell me what the residual and money factor should be for a 36 month lease 12,000 miles for a 3xi (AWD)? and I do know that one doesn't put any money down on that, so that much I know. Thanks, and I will be checking the wall for a reply.
    Thank you.
    (also, know of any BMW dealers that will not refuse a sweet, educated deal LOL?) in the NYC area or even NJ. ;)
  • Options
    aniluckyanilucky Member Posts: 13
    Hi
    I just bought mine- 2010 model 328xi with similar configuration. Although it was black on black 2010 w Nav + Prem +val pak. But I didn't have a metallic paint @2.9% APR.

It costed me about $40100. So your deal sounds about same as mine. Honestly there's not much wiggle room w beamers. Maybe a couple of $100 here there. MY 2 cents. Only thing watch out for the $1000 they sell on the tire warranty for 4 yrs. I took it, but upto you.

Good luck & enjoy the ride
    - Anilucky.
  • Options
    I've never seen a reasonable lease deal on a CPO BMW, unless it was a program car, and still qualified for new lease rates.. If you are looking at '07 - '09 models, you'll be a lot better off just buying it with whatever finance incentives are available... or, look into leasing a new one...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    angelgirl1angelgirl1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering this lease:
    2011 328i Coupe Total MSRP as Built is $ 44450. 3yr lease, 10,000miles. 0 down but about $3200 (I haven't seen detail yet) in fees (plates, reg., doc. fees, acq.fee, title, 1st payment, sec.dep) Monthly payment $ 552 + tax. I have excellent credit. I live in Arizona. Also, I am ordering it because there isn't one like it available. I am okay with waiting a few weeks. Thanks.
  • Options
    tschalktschalk Member Posts: 3
    2010 328i coupe
    -Cold weather package
    -Premium package
    -Sport package
    -Automatic transmission
    -Heated steering wheel
    -Sport leather steering wheel with paddel shifters
    -Gray poplar wood trim
    -Logic7 sound system
    -Ipod adapter