Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac G6

Comments

• Options
    herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    I'm not sure why you're assuming Michelle's Equinox is giving her so much trouble because its engine was assembled in China. Michelle, what problems are you having, specifically?

I have a very early-build G6 and the two issues I've had are the hot-start problem (only happened once or twice) and some panel "cracking" (temperature swings cause a weird clicking sound on the upper dash when the defroster is on). I think the G6 potentially could be a very reliable car, considering the engine and transmission are old-tech. As happy as I am with my car, I'd still wait til the second year to purchase.

That being said, those little problems may be fixed already. The only area I'm remotely concerned with, incidentally, would be the chassis. For the '04 Malibu, more people than average reported "suspension" problems to Consumer Reports. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I thought that was a bit odd. The G6 is on the extended version of that platform, but it's been fine for me so far, knock on wood.

If you get a G6, I recommend ABS and perhaps Traction Control (i think that's standard in the GT model). Happy shopping!
  • Options
    liltechieliltechie Member Posts: 1
    I shopped for over a year looking at the Honda Accord EX V6, Mazda 3 & 6, Nissan Altima & Maxima, Mini Cooper, I bought a 05 G6 GT, because I got everything I wanted plus great financing. I got everything they offered, with the exclusion of XM radio, I wanted the panoramic sunroof more, Silver with Black leather interior and Chrometech rims. On a whem I test drove a G6 and loved the way it drove the styling...beautiful classy sedan that is drives like a sporty coupe. I have been a life long Honda driver, I startled myself with this decision, trading in my 2000 Honda Accord EX-L that I bought new off the showroom, and one month in I am excited about driving it everyday. I will continue to give my results as time passes.

:) :shades:
  • Options
    infojunkie1infojunkie1 Member Posts: 7
    That's awesome to hear, liltechie. I've had my fingers crossed that Pontiac actually pulled this one off. What was your experience in finding side airbags, though? I've looked around at a couple of dealers (with small inventories), and no side airbags were to be found.
  • Options
    michelle6michelle6 Member Posts: 22
    No more problems for me (knock on wood ;) )I traded my equinox for a G6 and I am very happy with it. But thanks for defending the engine in the Equinox! I dont think the engine caused those problems, actually I am sure that they didnt!
  • Options
    jeffrey15jeffrey15 Member Posts: 61
    Anyone know when the GTP is scheduled to hit showrooms?
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    So where are the discounts? As for the G6, where are those engines made - USA or Canada?
  • Options
    docrxdocrx Member Posts: 3
    I don't know either, but I've been waiting. I've tried every place I can think of but can't find any answers. I'm all set to get either an Altima SER or Acura TSX or G6, but I dont want to wait forever to see the GTP coupe version. If anybody knows please tell!!!!
  • Options
    infojunkie1infojunkie1 Member Posts: 7
    At the risk of perpetuating the "Equinox forum," there is no discount for the engine in the Equinox (which, coincidentally, will be in the coming Pontiac Torrent) because it costs about $1000 more to manufacture the engine in Shanghai and ship it to the US. Why, then, do it that way? To work out the bugs in quality control, and build economy of scale for a future of ever-more Chinese parts in GM cars. I'm hardly some unenlightened hick; I actually spent a year at an international joint venture project in China. The quality concerns are monumental, but more importantly it will very likely spell the end of the American auto industry as we know it within 15-20 years. Maybe I'm the only one who cares, but I suspect that will change. As for parts made in Canada, I can sleep just fine at night with that.
  • Options
    prm1967prm1967 Member Posts: 9
    I have almost 7,000 miles on my G6 GT, Michelle, and it's still excellent. I do have the aforementioned intermittent clicking noise when the cold dashboard warms up, but I'm content to wait to have that fixed till when I bring it in soon for its first oil change. My '97 GrandAm before this needed very little attention in 7 years. A fifth gear would be nice, but shifting manually usually obviates that desire sufficiently. I have the standard sunroof, no XM, no side airbags, and no leather. I'm not crazy about the interior, but I like it better than that of most other cars, even the highest dollar so-called luxury cars. Mileage is about 22 and 30, right about what's advertised.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Made in USA.

Only the Equinox 3.4L is made in China. All other 3.4L engines are made in USA.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I agree on the 3.4L V6, however I think the 3.5L V6 used in G6 and Malibu is built in Mexico
  • Options
    I think that you are right. When I was buying I think I remeber seeing that.
  • Options
    kabkab Member Posts: 3
    Talked to a dealer today and he is expecting a GTP in about a month to month and a half. He did not indicate if it wass a coupe or not. But the timeframe sounds about right for either. You might want to check with your local dealer.

Kurt
  • Options
    gregozgregoz Member Posts: 6
    I found some info on the availability of the 2006 G6s

(2ZF69) G6 Sedan, (2ZM69) GTP Sedan, (2ZH37) GT Coupe and (2ZM37) GTP Coupe will not be available to order until June 2005.

(2ZH67) GT Convertible and (2ZM67) GTP Convertible will not be available to order until January 2006.

This is from: http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2005&butID=1&regionID=1&divisi- - onID=7&vehicleID=2374&type=0
  • Options
    pythian828pythian828 Member Posts: 5
    For those people interested in the Pontiac G6, please be aware that GM is installing the analog ONSTAR unit in the G6 that will become obsolete on January 1, 2008. The upgrade for the G6 will not be available until September 2005, but the upgrade will require signing up for multi-year ONSTAR contract. My question is that since the G6 was a brand new model introduced this year, why wasn't the latest ONSTAR technology installed in the vehicle?
  • Options
    On Star is pretty interesting. The air bag deployment notification capabilities show someone is thinking. In most cases a cell phone though would do the trick. T-Mobile has a $100 for 1000 minutes plan now, so that makes cell phone for occasional use pretty cheap. I am currently using TracFone, which is pretty inexpensive for the low number of calls I do. Some of the things On Star has available, I must say could be useful to some people. Read sometime back that many owners of Cadillacs never activated On Star, though the first year is free. Would image most of the owners have cell and did not want to bother with the On Star. Hummm? I forgot the percentage, but as I recall it was fairly high which never activated. I carry two sets of keys on my person, and try to remember the cell phone, so I don't know if I would need On Star. Certainly, if I had the money, it would be a neat little add-on to have on a car. How is the range with On Star?

Loren
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    May be in the past customers could activate OnStar or could skip it. However, customers are not involved in activation anymore. GM dealers must activate OnStar before delivering cars to customers.
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    The OnStar system in the 2005 G6s is not the analog system. It is the analog/digital-ready system. This system was used on a fair amount of new cars introduced last year. It will only become "obsolete" if it is not upgraded to a analog/digital system. Since the hardware upgrade is free and other 2005s use the system, is there another issue?

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/explore/onstar_basics/helpful_info.jsp?info-view=tech- - _equip

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/downloadable/en_FAQs.pdf
  • Options
    Can someone tell me what the little vent near the lights that are between the visors is for? It is close to my sunroof button and I can't figure it out.
  • Options
    After calling Onstar this evening, the ONSTAR upgrade is not free. A three year ONSTAR subscription (excluding the first free year) must be purchased to have the dealer perform the upgrade. For a three year lease with the ONSTAR being free for the first year, this is an unreasonable request of the consumer by GM and ONSTAR. Additionally, a person cannot take advantage of adding the ONSTAR phone to the Verizon Family Plan.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Provisions for OnStar microphone
  • Options
    Subscription payment gets free hardware upgrade and GM pays the labor costs.
    No Subscription dosen't need hardware upgrade.
    The hardware upgrade is free to those that want to use the system.
    The unused subscription term is transferable to the next ONStar equipped car. Even if one dosen't get another OnStar equipped car the difference is $170 over the two years or $7 per month.
    It may appear to be unreasonable to you or someone else who leases but would it be unreasonable to everyone?
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    $25,735 - sedan
  • Options
    Why not just get a cheap plan, as is pay-as-you-go, for a cell phone, and skip on the OnStar. If the cost is a big issue, I would look more toward depreciation on the car as a larger sucking sound for money coming out of your portfolio of investments. Wait two year, and buy the G6 for closer to half price, and buy all the OnStar equipment and service time ya want. I have TracFone, and may consider T-Mobile To Go plan, if they have close to the same range. Happy so far with the reach of TracFone. Looks like GM is pushing Pontiac more than Buick. Am I wrong in assuming that Buick may be on the chopping block within this decade? Do you recall many years ago, when GM was considering just using the GM brand plate and dumping all the overlap of brands??? Unfortunately, though it seems rational, the buyers are not, and have a loyalty to each individual name plate, so that plan got scrapped. In your area, do dealerships having Pontiac, also carry the Buick line? Will SAAB survive? Another saab story :blush:
    What would be so wrong with naming the G6, the GM G6, and the Cobalt, the GM Cobalt? Or maybe just have the Chevy G6 and name all the cars with the Chevy name other than the Caddy line? Would that steam you - others ?

:shades: Loren
  • Options
    14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    pontiac has updated the website with some info on the GTP but no good pics. The price isnt too bas but the mileage is horrible.
  • Options
    The bottom line is that the G6 should have come equipped with the latest technology and not older technologhy that will only put additional funds in the coffers of Genral Motors when it becomes obsolete!
  • Options
    brood1213brood1213 Member Posts: 27
    We have received allocation for 2006 sedan models and onstar is not available yet. If you get the GT with the Premium value package it would not include Onstar. Must have been an issue with the digital equipment.
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    This is crazy, the 240hp 3.9L get 18/24 while Nissan Altimas 250hp 3.5L gets 20/30.

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ModelSpecifications/0,,120015||,00.html
    http://www.pontiac.com/g6/index.jsp?brand=g6&pagename=specs

How could GM release this engine/gearing combination knowing this???

Thats it folks, GM better do something soon, or else party's over.
  • Options
    "The bottom line is that the G6 should have come equipped with the latest technology and not older technologhy that will only put additional funds in the coffers of Genral Motors when it becomes obsolete! "

The bottom line appears to be that you will not evaluate the facts and would rather stick with your issues. That is fine, it is a free world. Just state that you don't like GM and be done.
  • Options
    GTP pricing seems quite resonable, the power is fantastic, 6-speed stick transmission is trez cool but the mileage is disappointing. 18 city is ok but 24 on the highway is way low?? Highway should be at least 27-28.

DOD is on the way and should boost numbers all around but in the mean time the highway mileage is the only disappointment in this car. I wonder if this is a typo, I hope so.

:)
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The EPA figures for the Nissan 3.5 are not accurate according to current owners. There are many complaints from them of mpg below 20 and considerably below 30 for highway. The EPA figures are not realistically accurate. In this current age of high gas prices a prospective owner should seriously consider mpg when considering a new car purchase.
  • Options
    There are many cars out there that do not get close to EPA.

What kind of real world mileage are people getting in their 3.5L G6s??
  • Options
    All the car I have owned, if memory serves me right, have gotten around EPA gas mileage figures, or better. Most have gotten 10% higher on the freeway than the sticker indicated. I think some Fords get around the sticker, or less. Never had a problem with GM not getting good gas mileage, which was normally 10% higher than average. The rest of the car was so-so to inferior, but they make good gas mileage engines. Now, I did see that 24MPG figure on the G6 3.9 engined car, and that looks a bit odd. A 400 HP Corvette does better than that. Saw one of those new Buick Lacrosse cars yesterday, not bad looking. Inside I did notice a foot brake on the left, which I thought went out of use in modern times, but I guess GM loves to revisit the past. Looked like the foot could hit it even in the up position. The rest of the car looks pretty slick. Come to think of it, the old LeSabre. looks good to me. An older, but smoother design. I kinda like the 90's flowing lines more than squared off blocks. Not to say the Chrysler 300 does not have it's own unique character as either the boss looking checker cab Marathon, or a cheaper version of a Bentley. Kinda an interesting look. The 300M, is one I would say I would be more incline to buy. The G6 has the good old fashion flowing line. Not bad. May consider used - not sure. Will see how many are trouble free first, and if I want the new junk they have on cars. Things like electric assist steering that sings, and throttle-by-wire, I can live without.
    Loren
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    We have an 02 Accord and an 1988 Olds 98. The Olds is fine now, but with a car that age you never can tell when the end will come.

I would like to hear how actual G6 owners actually feel about the car. I really like the styling. And I saw a base model advertised in my local paper for 16k! Since I have a 3k GM card rebate, that would mean quite a car for 13k +ttl. I realize, however, that an absolute base model doesn't have abs. And Consumer Reports says of that model that "The base model lacks agility and tire grip, and the ride is stiff."

Any real life reports out there? How is quality holding up the first few months? Gas mileage?

Thanks!
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    pontiacg6pontiacg6 Member Posts: 3
    I have had mine since Oct04 and I really like the feel of driving it. Very responsive and a positive feel to the road. Gas mileage is just as published, so no complaints.Now that the weather has warmed up I can have the standard sunroof open and it's great...but...today my CD player quit. I read in the manual that it will quit if it gets hot. Sure enough, this evening it works OK. It's only April!! Has anyone else had this problem??
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    The mileage numbers may be advertised better in the Altima with the V6, but it requires premium gas. The G6 does not. Don't know if the GTP does though.
  • Options
    c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    For those not wanting to go to the automobear link, here are some highlights.

"Let's look at the facts. If one were to compare March, 2005 G6 V6 retail sales to March, 2004 Grand Am V6 retail sales, the numbers would play at 7,859 to 5,017, 57% in favor of the G6. Even if we took G6 V6 sales versus sales of all Grand Am models for March 2005 versus March 2004, the G6 would still figure at 80% of the total - a solid achievement for a more expensive, less varied line-up.
    Certainly, March 2004 represented the latter part of the Grand Am's product life-cycle, but it is also true that the car continued to sell well through to the end, largely because of incentives. With the G6, Pontiac has attempted to pull away from incentivized promotions – and it appears to be working. While the LA Times (among others) confused Pontiac incentives as a whole with those specifically on the G6, Edmunds TMV prices suggest that a base G6 is sold at $20,045 – just $1,255 under its sticker price in a highly-competitive market full of incentives (G6's is up to $1,500 atop the TMV price). A base G6 GT moved at $22,500, $1,425 under its MSRP. Both represent a leap from the Grand Am, and neither seems to warrant the comments made in the LA Times.......

The G6 will be followed this summer by the introduction of a 3.9-liter, 240hp, 245lb-ft GTP model with Displacement-on-Demand, along with four-cylinder (likely the 170hp, 170lb-ft 2.4-liter Ecotec) that will expand the car's fleet sales, and coupé variants of all three. A convertible – which may well be the only folding hardtop in the segment - will follow in the first quarter of 2006. .......

In confirming our facts with Pontiac yesterday, it was pointed out to us that 91.8% of G6 owners reported being satisfied, or very satisfied, with their cars, in independently conducted surveys that place the midsize segment average at 86.5%.
    "
  • Options
    It sounds like your problem was with the dealer, not GM per se (though, obviously, the seat is, ultimately, the issue). If you are still willing to consider the vehicle at all, consider a different dealer. We deal with Shelton Pontiac-Buick in Rochester Hills and have had very good luck with the two Rendezvous's we've leased there.
  • Options
    Regarding:
    "I have never owned a domestic make of car which was trouble free. But miracles may happen, and GM may be making trouble free cars now."

Actually, I was the owner of 3 Honda vehicles. The first, a 1990 Civic, was great. The second, a 1997 Civic, was less exciting, but did the job. I chose it over the Chevy Prizm because the trunk was marginally bigger. The third, a 2000 Odyssey, had good features (fold flat third row seat), but we had very bad problems with the brakes, and the sliding door, which tended to stick so badly that I couldn't even get it to open in some instances (a definite safety issue in my mind). Also, the interior treatment was nothing special. The plastic cover for the jack in the back broke when I attempted to get the jack out. Could be my fault. However, it certainly wasn't over engineered.
    In 2003, we purchased a Buick Rendezvous. We love it. We've had virtually no problems with it. I would have to say that, at least in this case, the domestics (and GM in particular) are doing quite well.
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    The mileage numbers may be advertised better in the Altima with the V6, but it requires premium gas. The G6 does not. Don't know if the GTP does though.

The altima V6 does not require premium fuel.
  • Options
    batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    I now know why the 3800 V6 never got a horsepower increase after the year 1998.
    It would suck gas like a V8. You mean to tell me that to get 40 more horsepower out of that engine (same engine as the 3.5L but increased to 3.9L) it would result in 18 city/24 highway. This is the same kind of fuel economy that a 345HP 5.7L V8 hemi engine attains. You have to be stupid to waste your money on that optional engine especially considering how expensive gas is now. :P
  • Options
    doesn't compare favorbably to the 3.5L engines from honda, toyota and nissan either. of course, only nissan offers this engine in a comparable sedan.

was it really cheaper to develop/design the 3.9L then to just simply provide the already available 3.6L OHC? i guess GM considers that engine too high class for the targeted audience of the G6.
  • Options
    The GTP gets that mileage because of its aggressive gearing and axle ratio. Obviously they have tuned this automatic for acceleration at the expense of fuel economy. IN future years, maybe 2006, the car willget DOD and a 6 speed auto so I would expect those numbers to improve by 2-3mpg. I do not understand why they tuned the car to get such poor mileage but I bet it was done to increase the performance gap between the 3.5 and the 3.9. I remember C&D saying the preproduction GTP didn't feel that much faster than the GT. The high axle ration may change that and get the GTP some decent 0-60 times.
  • Options
    It's not just about designing a new engine, its about material and assembly costs. The 3.9 is probably siginificantly cheaper to build than the 3.6 as well as other OHC engines. On top of that it provides better low end torque than the version of the 3.6 found in the Lacrosse and Rendevous. The lacrosse CXS isnt much faster thann 3800 equipped W cars because of its meager torque figures and I would be willing to bet the GTP will be considerably faster. On top of all that it revs to 6400 rpm which is higher than some DOHC V6s on the market.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    But the 3.9l doesn't put out THAT much power and the MPG is pretty bad for a modern mid-size sedan. If they had done better with the engine it would've been at least worth a test drive once the GTP came out. As it is, their lack of a modern engine choice has made me cross even a test-drive off of my to-do list once my lease ends.
  • Options
    Here ya go, all the power and decent gas mileage...
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/chevrolet/camaro/827/specs.html?tid=edmunds.u.prices.left- sidenav..6.Chevrolet*
    Yes, I too would not get the 3.9 engine, as the performance to gas mileage ratio is not good. Actually, I think the old 3.8 engine is just fine and you can get 30MPG or better with that engine in just about any car. Whatever the base engine is in the G6 is just fine. It is not a dragster car. If one needs a street racer, go with a pony car, like Camaro SS. The G6 can go zero to a speeding ticket just fine. It is not going to be good enough for the track, so I assume people want the extra power to race on the streets, which is dangerous and illegal, all in one. The car could lose a little fat, but 220# torque is not all that bad. It will be a quick car, though not fast. It could diet a couple hundred pounds, or so. I sat in one of these G6 cars, and could not see any hood out front. Always think I am driving a video game, at some point. Not sure I want electric assist steering. I see they have given up on the 5 sp. on the floor. Guess people are more shiftless these days ;)
    Loren
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    because I want a manual transmission. Too bad I have to get an old-tech engine to be able to shift my own gears. I dont' want a street racer but I do want a sporty sedan with a manual transmission.
  • Options
    The GTP does not appear to be a good choice to me. Yes, you should be able to get a stick on all models. They don't seem to sell many sticks here in the USA, so it is all a matter of numbers. In the sporty sedan class, let's see, how about Mazda6 or the Altima? Maybe the Volvo S40? I imagine they are being discounted these days. Come to think of it, I can not think of many options for those wanting 5 on the floor, good gas mileage, sporty handling, and four doors. If the GTP gets 24 MPG on the freeway, for get it. Between the gas mileage, probably low resale value, and not all that high tech to the cars suspension and engine, I would pass on it. As for a 6 speed in the GTP, I would have to try it out first. Some can be a learning experience and a problem to slot through. Try before buy. As the cars get upwards to the $28K level, you can also consider a BMW or Mercedes on sale. And they are RWD. Sporty FWD cars, I would expect to pay under $21K for, on down to around the $18K level, like Mazda6. Most new cars can be had for $2k or more off sticker these days. Wonder if GM will stick a 5 sp. on the G6 some day?
    Loren
  • Options
    not so fast....

the 3.6L provides more muscle at all speeds in comparison to the 3.8L. it provides more torque down low (230 @3200 vs. 230 @ 4000) and unlike the agriculture 3.8L, it maintains more torque at higher RPM. sure don't know what's so meager about those torque figures in comparison to the 3.8L. and the 3.6L is more than a little faster than the 3.8L.

i'll take that bet about the 3.9L being considerably faster that the 3.6L. we'll have to see.

the 3.9L has only 11 ft-lb more peak torque (at 2800 RPM, WOW, a whole 400 RPM lower) than the 3.6L. i have a strong hunch more of that torque is maintained throughout the RPM range with the 3.6L.
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I'll bet in real world highway driving, the 3.9L will get closer to 26-27.

I can't see how it would only get 24, especially with a 6 speed. Doesn't a Vette get 27?