Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox

dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
I would like to start a discussion on the upcoming Chevy Equinox. It should be built on the Saturn VUE platform and may have an engine option from China according to this article :

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5468

The Equinox looks to be a very good vehicle when it comes out... lets go..

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A tiny bit more info is in this link. Emphasis on tiny :-)

Steve, Host

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Thanx Steve.

Not much info yet, but I think this will be a very good truck if it's base off the VUE.

I'm really curious about these Chinese engines though, very odd.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I was reading an article in the paper and apparently the Equinox will be the first fully Canadian engineered vehicle in 80 years. The engineering will be done at the new design centre in Oshawa and production at Ingersoll Ontario. Apparently the base engine will be the 2.2L Ecotec and the upgrade may be a new in line 6 imported from GM China.

It will be very interesting to see how this new crossover comes out. Interesting times in the auto sector for sure!
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    The Equinox could be exactly what I am looking for.I currently drive a 99 Buick Regal GSE, which is a great car but I am looking for something a bit more versatile. I have looked at the Saturn Vue and the Pontiac Vibe. I have a GM card so I will not get money off on the Saturn. Anyway the
    Equinox looks like it will be a nice vehicle.
    dan : All Canadian vehicle eh? Sounds good, I didn't know it was being designed here.

Not much info on it yet. Perhaps we will see something in the winter on the auto show tour.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    I always thought the Vue platform was only going to be used by Saturn.

I guess with all the cost cutting, they had to share with Chevrolet.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    ...perhaps one should read "DAS KAPITAL" to understand the inner workings... (:o]
    Will the base engine be the ecotec like in the Vue?
    Yup, that's what I've read though it will not have a VTi transmission like the VUE.
  • zapcatzapcat Member Posts: 64
    Thank God!!!
    I really like the VTi. I tested one a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very cool.
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    does anyne know if the equinox will be available with a 3rd row seat? i thought i heard a while back that it would be available. i hope so or i can't consider one.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Not much information on the vehicle has been released yet. I doubt something as detailed as a 3rd row seat would have been mentioned but ya never know.

Don't forget that the Equinox is supposed to be a compact SUV which makes a 3rd row seat even more doubtful.

However, being that GM is bringing the Equinox to market so late, they just might have that 3rd row as an option to attract new customers.

I guess your just gonna have to wait until late 03 to find out. But don't worry, your no the only one waiting to see this vehicle.

Should see a lot more info in January as the Equinox will be shown for the first time at the Detroit Auto show. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what this vehicle will look like. The pictures I have seen look good so far.
    Do you think GM will put REMOTE start on the EQ from the get-go? That would be great.
    I suppose we should decide on the appropriate abbreviation ....
    Pre-Launch Vehicle info.

Steve, Host

Just when I thought that GM was starting to put OHC engines in all of their upcoming new cars, I find out that the upcoming Equinox will be available with an OHV design. I am a little suprised but not shocked and I would still look at the vehicle when it arrives.I know all of the pros and cons of each engine design but I thought GM was starting to turn the corner and was finally "geting it"
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How about Ox?

tidester, host
    Equinox base is an ohc 2.2L Ecotec. Not sure what this Chinese made 3.4L will be but it sounds like an ohv motor for sure. I know GM is a little behind in the development of the new breed of ohc series of engines, but I was hoping for a smaller version of the Envoy I-6.

More details should be out in a week or two when the Equinox debuts at the Detroit Auto Show.
    I would have thought that the engine would be the V6 currently in the Saturn VUE. If not that one then maybe the Honda V6 that is supposedly going to be in the VUE. Apparently GM is designing a new family of OHC engines and one of them will be included in the new Chevy Malibu. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
    The Honda - GM engine and transmission swap is a Saturn only thing. As for the 3.0L in the VUE, my guess is it's not powerful enough to be a Chevy. My thinking is GM wants 200+ HP in the Equinox. It's strange that they will import engines from China though, not sure I understand why they can't be sourced in North America.
    Bringing engines to North America was probably part of GM's "cost of admission" into the Chinese market.

Steve, Host
    Bring some hard currency to the Chinese economy kind of thing?

Make sense I suppose. China is a pretty closed economy aside from Hong Kong.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I like the looks of that truck!

My daughter wants to get a small SUV. Maybe I will help her get one of these.

What are the avilable power plants? The thing looks very Lexus like, probably the best small SUV I have seen.
    140-145 hp 2.2L Ecotec is standard and a 200-220 hp 3.5L V6 will be optional.

Not sure of the V6 details though I know it will be imported from China. Why I don't know but it's been suggested that it's a hard currency export trade off to stay operational in China for GM.

I'm sure it will be peppy.
    Looks like only a 3.4L V6 will be available with the Equinox, but it does get a 5-speed automatic..

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5659

• wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    Anyone know the expected pricing ?
    I haven't seen anything. Anyone?

Steve, Host
    In one article I saw that pricing is expected to be in line with other small SUVs. Given production won't start for a year, it's not likely you will see anything too detailed yet.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I would expect pricing to be around the Escape/CRV range if they are to be competitive.
    When exactly will the Equinox be available? I should know this but will it be debuting next winter as a 2005 model? or this fall as a 2004 model?
    From what I can see it's a 2005 model which means the earliest it can come out is January 2004. It's a fairly long wait IMO. I would have thought they would push it out a little faster as the Tracker isn't selling well anyway.
    Saw a picture of the Equinox on the weekend. Looks completely different than our Vue, hard to believe they sit on the same platform. Very nice though.

I wonder how pricing will compare to the V6 Vue?
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Typical GM, Great new styling but we'll put in an obsolete OHV motor. 3.4L and only 185hp! How does honda get 240hp from a 3,2L!
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    By putting all the hp in the high end of the rpms where it is worthless to truck drivers. The GM engine will have all a flat torque curve giving steady good power to people who need it and know what they are talking about.
    The Equinox is going into the cross-over arena: an upscale mini-SUV. Great space and looks, but why is a '05 model running around with an iron block?
    I will look at replacing my CRV next year and this will come up against a new CRV. I have a funny feeling the Equinox will run second dragging that old 3.4L from China.
    An upscale SUV? The Equinox will be starting at less than 20k.

Something tells me there will be a lot of buyers, whether you stay in your CRV rut or not.
    3.4L may not be the most modern engine, but it's very reliable, smooth and has lots o torque. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

The VUE will have a Honda 3.5L option next year if you want a bigger motor.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    From Edmunds review of the Pilot:
    "Its refined and sophisticated 3.5-liter V6 produces 240 horsepower at 5,400 rpm and 242 pound-feet of torque at 4,500 rpm with the aid of Honda's Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC).

Besides providing for a relatively flat torque curve (with ample acceleration at low to mid rpm) and strong performance at high engine speeds, VTEC boosts fuel economy."

I wouldn't call the torque output useless.
    For what 90% of the population does with these vehicles, who cares. Amble power is all I need, I'm not going to be towing or off roading anyway.
    Less then 20K? I dont think so. They will not bother with a 2.2L base engine, too slow. There's no point in Chevy trying to fight the Kia's, Hyundia's, etc. (no profit margin) They want the CRV class of owner. A CRV is loaded out the factory door, just a few minor dealer installed opitions. And like diploid said: if you want to tow get the Trailblazer. 90% of the buyers will want the mini-SUV to drive like a car. So GM, find a nice 32 valve V6 from Opel to drop in this machine.

I think it's sad the the largest car company on the planet has to go to HONDA to get their 3.5L ?

Of course if you'll promise to drop a Honda VTEC 3.5L in an Equinox, you can have my deposit money today.
    Your complaints are ridiculous.

First, GM's press release said the Equinox will debut for under 20k. We know from the VUE (whose platform will base the Equinox) that the Equinox will be a solid car like performer at any price.

An even torque band is good for more than towing. It means the car will accelerate quicker without compromising mpg. The engine will also be easier to maintain than the Honda V6.

The Equinox will in fact be solid challenger to the CRV. In fact, as the Equinox will be priced less than the CRV with the V6 -- the CRV V6 will be a pricier option filled offering -- will look a lot better than the ugly little CRV box on wheels, and will have unique seating options, it will easily beat the CRV in both price and options.

You want to pay extra so you can say you bought a Honda, fine. Something tells me you will not have as much company as Honda wishes.

The future VUE V6 has nothing to do with this forum. Auto companies get large and stay large by making good business decisions. Adding expensive factory capacity to make engines in an era of massive overcapacity may satisfy a juvenile sense of what is right from my car company. GM did not see a reason to pay for additional capacity to make 20k V6s per year for the VUE.
    I own a CRV and love the looks of the Equinox. But the new CRV has a great 4 cyl and there's no talk of putting a 6 in it. The Equinox will have to start with a so-so 30 year old designed V6 to get OK performance. GM always starts new models with old engines, takes a few years to shoe horn something better in there. Let's hope the Equinox is not like the first year Escape/Tribute: transmission and other assorted recalls.

Now where do you get the idea that the Honda V6 is high maintenance? Let's see, it's a great Indy car motor and I don't seem to ever see Honda problem boards? Car rags can't say enough about all the Accura, Accord, and Pilot models that use it.

It looks like GM is forced to use this engine because of the over capacity they are adding in China. Part of the politics of getting into a new 3rd world market. Can't try to build a high tech motor in a low tech country.

GM doesn't use its world resources correctly. The GTO project is an exception: Need a low volume V8 sport coupe to replace the firebird. Holden in allstralia had a great car. Just throw a Pontiac grill and some nameplates on it. Presto! New Euro styled sport coupe with zero development costs!
    The Honda 3.5L engine is being used because of a swap deal done with Honda for GM transmissions. The 3.0L in the VUE now is fine, but Saturn canned the project the 3.5L were suppose to go into so the VUE is getting them. Nothing "sad" about it. As for indy car motors, they don't have much to do with car motors and Honda's in general are far from trouble free.

The 3.4L V6 in Equinox will offer smoothness a 4 cyl can not, even one from Honda. Priced around the same I will very likely go with the Equinox assuming quality is there. The vehicle is coming from a Suzuki/GM plant with a good record so I think it will be ok. The VUE has done fine and is now recommended by consumer reports also.
    I guess we'll wait what the final production specs will be. Since the Equinox will be longer then the VUE, I assume heavier and will need extra HP/torque. I hope they have it out late fall so the car rags can get their hands on it for road tests. GM needs this car out as soon as possible. While the VUE as gotten OK revues, no one has been happy with the bland interior or exterior styling.
    The Equinox most likely will hurt VUE sales. I somewhat like the VUE -- and wish my wife had bought it over the Escape she did buy.

I think the Equinox really casts a pall on the VUE and am not quite certain what GM is trying to say to Saturn here.

The Equinox, and the fact the Maxx will be a Chevy instead of a Saturn lead me to wonder how committed GM is to Saturn in the long run. If Chevy can get the small car and truck people back, GM may think Saturn is redundant.
    logic : Check out http://www.saturnfans.com. They have info on the new Saturn replacement of the L-series. Sounds very much like the Maxx but with some twists including a hybrid version. They also have a minivan on the way. Saturn commitment is definitely there. I like the VUE exterior and ride a lot, but I agree the dash could be better.

joey2brix : As the Equinox is an 05, the earliest it can be sold is January 04. From what I have read, that's when it will be out.