Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• philliplcphilliplc Posts: 136
    that sounds a bit steep for a 2WD. what was the price before ttl? in oregon they are constantly being advertised for invoice (~$19400) and can be had for a few hundred under, if not more. maybe 2WD is easier to sell in south texas climate.
  • phisherphisher Posts: 175
    I walked into the dealership told them I wanted to buy today, gave them the honest price I had been quoted via internet - I told the internet person That there dealership was on my way to a relatives I was going to see, And that I didn't have time to screw around in the dealership, They gave me a low price. I didn't end up going to Chicago so I went to a local dealership and told them what Price I was willing to pay. The sales person said that the Mgmt would never accept it but five minutes later he came back and said congrats on your new car. I have to say though I gave more on my trade in than I would of if the price wasn't so low.
  • What's the price then?
    I ended up paying right around 22500. But I accepted 500 less on my car than KBB states it at.
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    The price before ttl was $19,876.12 which included the $550.00 destination charge.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    If you were that upset, why did you still buy from them?

Capital One issues two types of checks. One type is a regular check. These are fine. Then, they issue "drafts" that look like checks. No smart dealer will take these. they are basically "checks" with strings attached. These can delay funding for long periods of time.

And, a lot of the banks and credit unions will match the internet rates. I know I would rather deal with a local bank than a faceless enity.
  • kwhkwh Posts: 68
    when buying a 2004 cr-v, what would the normal amount for the deposit be?

is it refundable if i change my mind
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    when buying a 2004 cr-v, what would the normal amount for the deposit be?

is it refundable if i change my mind

You are buying a used car, so it will depend on the dealer, or if you are buying from an individual.

I usually put $100 on a cerdit card as deposit when buying a car.

How much are you paying for a 2004 CR-V? Is it LX 2WD, LX 4WD, EX, Manual, Auto?
  • tcasboytcasboy Posts: 214
    I guess my sense of humor is lost on the internet. You said to go in on the 30th (of the month) and offer the dealer so and so.

I was wondering then how do you buy a car in Feb, when there is no 30th of the month.

Thanks for taking us to school though!

TB
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098
    How about buying on Feb 29th? That way the car would only have a birthday every four years. That's gotta be great for resale value... :P
    if you read the first post you will see I didn't state I bought on the 30th but suggested that other people wait until the 30th. Unless they were waiting 11 months to buy the 30th should work. But if they waited until February I bet they would get a sweet deal on a new 2006 they just might not have a good selection.
  • kerneldkerneld Posts: 3
    I am in the South Texas area, but my definition of South might be more south than yours (Rio Grande Valley), I got a 2006 CRV LX FWD Auto from Kellogg for essentially Invoice. $19,500 + ttl I think. The salesman there was very professional. Much better than the salesman that was helping me at the other Valley dealer.
  • frish75frish75 Posts: 2
    actually, capital one called it a "blank check (registered trademark)". i don't know whether this was a draft or check, and i don't really care. all i (and most people i know) care about is HONESTY. if you don't take the check- say so and don't go back on it. as someone who sells cars, i would hope you would do the following- "i won't take a capital one check, but i will match the financing rate they offered you". this is the reputable approach. CONICELLI Honda was not reputable- they said they won't take it and could only give me a higher rate, a day later said they would take capital one after i pressed, and a day later offered a better rate through honda financing. CONICELLI honda was just screwing with me to try to get me to pay a higher rate- and behavior like this reflects poorly on car salesmen.

the reason i purchased the car from them was because i drove home with the car before paying them anything (it felt wrong, but i didn't speak up). i now know this was a HUGE mistake, as it eliminated my bargaining position to cancel the deal without major penalty. the dealers, i presume, knew this well, which explains why they did everything possible to get me to drive home in the car (including allowing me to drive the new car home without paying a cent and come back in a few days with down payment and sign financing).

this was my first car buying experience- i am now "seasoned" and will be wiser next time. next time i will get the best rate (from a local bank that will match the lowest internet rate- that's a good suggestion- i thought my local banks would laugh at me if i tried that since their published new car rates were 1.5-2.5% higher than internet bank rates) and have financing arranged by the time i walk into the dealer (i thought i did THIS time). i won't let the dealer push me into the car until i am ready. this behavior is contrary to my trusting, accomodating nature, but as they say "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".
    It sounds like you had a pretty bad experience frish75.

Over on Consumer Reports, they have a new car buying guide document which tells you things to look out for. Some things to know before you walk in - what the best financing is you can get from outside the lot. What the invoice price for the car you are interested in is (Nominally, what the dealer pays the manufacturer for the car), any incentives the dealer gets. EG: Thye might get a certain amount back if the move the car off the lot quickly. I am sure there is probably something like that on this site too. If you are happy with the financing you are getting outside, just say you are paying cash, adn work on the price so they don't try and distract you with how much you want to pay per week. Once you get the price where you want, then you might want to see if they will match or better your financing offer.

I got my best rate from my credit card using their balance transfer offer. You have to be super careful with that though as the conditions are unforgiving. If you miss a payment for instance, they can hike up the rate, also you have to make sure the card has no credit. I got stuck with a small residual finance charge which is accumulating slowly at the higher rate of interest.
  • tcasboytcasboy Posts: 214
    phisher: Nevermind.
    TB
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    I know we have to be careful when a customer says they are "paying cash". I will ask them, "will you be writing a personal check?"

If they say.." Uh, well...I have a check from an internst lender", I'll ask to see it. If it's an actual CHECK, no problem but if it's a DRAFT, we won't take it.

We can almost always match or beat the Capital One rates and most of our customers would rather deal with a local bank.
    Well I paid with a cashiers check from my local bank. The funds were deposited there by the credit card.

PS: I was in and out of the finance office at the dealer in less than 10 minutes.
  • kukla56kukla56 Posts: 6
    We got a $22,800 OTD price for a 2006-CRV EX 2WD. We are in the Atlanta area, so this includes our 7% sales tax. Should we go for it? It also includes some pinstriping, floor mats, and other "options" (do all the dealerships include this?). We would appreciate some advice. Thanks!
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098
    "We got a $22,800 OTD price for a 2006-CRV EX 2WD. "

There is something wrong here; all EX are RT4WD, not 2WD. Only the LX model comes in 2WD...
  • crewdog5crewdog5 Posts: 13
    I taked the dealer down to $22185 (includes everything but tax and tag) for a 2006 CRV EX. Should I keep haggling or is this a good price?
  • Not sure if this program is nationwide but there is a $500 dealer cash incentive in place for all CR-Vs. Therefore, the dealer should take off $500 from that price he gave you!! If he doesn't, get quotes from at least 3 other dealers. I'll bet they will come back around $21,700 or possibly lower.
  • thebillthebill Posts: 194
    Negative. EX 2WDs are hitting the lots
    It is definitely an EX 2WD. No one has commented yet on the price though.. good or bad?
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    To follow-up I received an updated offer from a dealer today for $18,995.00 plus ttl which I am seriously considering.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 122,938
    EX 2WD... new for '06..

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

what was the price before tax? good is probably anything under $21k before ttl.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    It is definitely an EX 2WD. No one has commented yet on the price though.. good or bad?

That's because no one wants to do your math. Post before tax price then everyone can chime in. List all of the "options" then people will comment. Sometimes dealers will tell you that you are getting a sunroof for free, which some would consider an option, but in reality, sunroof comes standard on the EX. Floor mats are standard on the EX as well.

$21308 is a decent price for an AWD EX, IMHO.
    Thanks for the tip on how to get folks to answer on this board!

We went ahead and bought a 2006 CR-V 2WD EX for an out the door price of $22,800, which translates to $20,352 plus tax and title. This includes all the features that are standard on the AWD EX, except for the actual all wheel drive feature. Did we do okay?

From some of the responses, it sounds like the 2WD EX is rare or new.

Thanks for the help!
    Made a mistake on my own math.. we actually paid $21,287 plus 7% tax and title for a total of $22,800 out the door.

Thanks for the tip on how to get folks to answer on this board!

We went ahead and bought a 2006 CR-V 2WD EX for an out the door price of $22,800, which translates to $20,352 plus tax and title. This includes all the features that are standard on the AWD EX, except for the actual all wheel drive feature. Did we do okay?

From some of the responses, it sounds like the 2WD EX is rare or new.

Thanks for the help!
    that is an ok price. i'd guess you could have done better, but perhaps not significantly. i would think EX 2WD are a pretty tough sell compared to 4WD, so dealers would probably be willing to dip into holdback, dealer cash etc to move one.