Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brandloyalbrandloyal Member Posts: 27
    Not sure if this program is nationwide but there is a $500 dealer cash incentive in place for all CR-Vs. Therefore, the dealer should take off $500 from that price he gave you!! If he doesn't, get quotes from at least 3 other dealers. I'll bet they will come back around $21,700 or possibly lower.
  • thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    Negative. EX 2WDs are hitting the lots
  • kukla56kukla56 Member Posts: 6
    It is definitely an EX 2WD. No one has commented yet on the price though.. good or bad?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    To follow-up I received an updated offer from a dealer today for $18,995.00 plus ttl which I am seriously considering.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    EX 2WD... new for '06..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    what was the price before tax? good is probably anything under $21k before ttl.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    It is definitely an EX 2WD. No one has commented yet on the price though.. good or bad?

That's because no one wants to do your math. Post before tax price then everyone can chime in. List all of the "options" then people will comment. Sometimes dealers will tell you that you are getting a sunroof for free, which some would consider an option, but in reality, sunroof comes standard on the EX. Floor mats are standard on the EX as well.

$21308 is a decent price for an AWD EX, IMHO.
    Thanks for the tip on how to get folks to answer on this board!

We went ahead and bought a 2006 CR-V 2WD EX for an out the door price of $22,800, which translates to $20,352 plus tax and title. This includes all the features that are standard on the AWD EX, except for the actual all wheel drive feature. Did we do okay?

From some of the responses, it sounds like the 2WD EX is rare or new.

Thanks for the help!
    Made a mistake on my own math.. we actually paid $21,287 plus 7% tax and title for a total of $22,800 out the door.

Thanks for the tip on how to get folks to answer on this board!

We went ahead and bought a 2006 CR-V 2WD EX for an out the door price of $22,800, which translates to $20,352 plus tax and title. This includes all the features that are standard on the AWD EX, except for the actual all wheel drive feature. Did we do okay?

From some of the responses, it sounds like the 2WD EX is rare or new.

Thanks for the help!
    that is an ok price. i'd guess you could have done better, but perhaps not significantly. i would think EX 2WD are a pretty tough sell compared to 4WD, so dealers would probably be willing to dip into holdback, dealer cash etc to move one.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "i would think EX 2WD are a pretty tough sell compared to 4WD, so dealers would probably be willing to dip into holdback, dealer cash etc to move one."

Actually, I think they are still rare and may command a premium, though all CR-V are a bit slow selling due to the new model due out this year. Were I in the market for one, I would probably have gone for the FWD EX.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    You asked. In Chicago you can get an EX AWD for less than you paid for a 2WD. $21222 as of today.
    perhaps, but here in oregon there aren't many LX 2WD's around either, and yet they seem to sit on lots while LX/EX 4WD's move. i doubt there is enough demand to create a comparative premium for an EX 2WD even if they are rare.
    :confuse: Okay.. maybe I don't understand the Edmunds "invoice price" and "TMV". I paid $21,287 plus sales tax for an automatic EX 2WD. For the same car, the Edmunds "invoice price" (including destination charges and options) is $21,385, and the TMV is $22,265. I thought I got a decent price.. am I wrong?

I checked the Edmunds invoice price for the EX AWD (Automatic) in Chicago and it is $22,492. Are you saying that you can get these cars in Chicago at a thousand dollars below the Edmunds invoice price? If so, I should have flown up to get one!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    A 2WD EX CRV would be a tough sale in a northern climate but they probably sell pretty well in areas that have no need for 4WD.

Here in the Seattle area there aren't many people who would want one. Later, as used cars, they would be a VERY tough to sell car!
  • smileygsmileyg Member Posts: 5
    I also got a similar quote ($22,156, 2006 EX, AWD) from Dallas. Does your include any accessories?

Also how much more would it be if I were to have a roof rack, splash guards and driverside arm storage.

brandloyal: are your suggesting that I could get the price down to 500 less (21700)
    "brandloyal: are your suggesting that I could get the price down to 500 less (21700)"

Yes! This $500 dealer cash incentive ends at the end of this month. I sent an email out to 5 dealers and they all quoted around $21,700 (some were even less)which included destination and the dealer cash discount.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    If so, I should have flown up to get one!

You wouldn't be the first ;) .
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    21700 puts you about 300 under invoice plus the 500 dealer cash. Thats what we do for them here on the east coast...BTW the cash incentive doesn't apply to the special finance rates Honda is offering. You either get the special rates OR the dealer cash. This is the first time Honda has done this, so it's a bit confusing for us.
    This isn't true, at least in my part of the country!

The special rates have absoultly nothing to do with the selling price!
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    On this one it does. Maybe that is just here on the east coast.
  • jeremy67212jeremy67212 Member Posts: 8
    I am in the process of trying to purchase a CR-V SE for my wife. I have read countless reviews and experiences here on this website. The end result is I am left more confused than ever. I have talked to Scholfield Honda in Wichita and the best price I could get out of them was $500 over invoice. When I look up invoice on Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book, it shows a price of $23550 + 550 freight for a total invoice of $24,060. I've noticed on this forum that several people have purchased the SE and have a lower invoice price listed.

I also talked to Honda cars of McKenny and was told that $500 over invoice was the best they could do as well. I find that to be odd because an earlier poster on this site just bought an EX from McKenny and got it for $200 under invoice, not to mention some nice add-ons free of charge.

I talked to another dealer in Garden City who said he would go $150 over invoice, but something tells me that even at this price I am leaving money on the table.

I read an earlier post that there is an additional $500 cash incentive being paid to dealers right now. When you add that to the dealer holdback of 3% ($780) then even at invoice the dealer is making $1280.

I would welcome any information or experiences from people who have purchased CR'V's in KS and OK. Also, is invoice price different depending on where you live? My wife is graduating from Nursing school and this will be our first new car as a family. If anyone has any advice on getting under invoice, or has a target price to aim for, that would be greatly appreciated!
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    I don't think you will ever be happy if you only judge the "deal" you get based on what other people say they paid on an internet forum. Now I am all about saving money and getting a good deal, but you never know what other issues were involved in someone else's deal. Maybe they got 300 under invoice and paid a higher interest rate on the loan. Maybe they got had on the trade. MAYBE they paid cash and had no trade. Maybe they bought a bunch of accessories at a high markup and didn't know it.

In short, although it is nice to see what kind of deals people saying they got in different areas, and it is very helpful to get leads on decent dealers and inventory, you have to take some of what you read with a grain of salt.

The only way to know what your market will demand for the vehicle is to get out there and find out. Expand your market via the internet sites of any dealer you can reach via email that you are willing to travel to. Send them an email or call and tell them what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay. If they don't bite, move on. Eventually you will find out what the market will bear and that is what you will have to pay for the car.

Car dealers are in business to make money, so I personally don't believe that they will dip into holdback to sell a popular selling model in the middle of the month in the middle of the model year. I don't even worry about what the dealer paid, other than to have an idea of where to start with my offer. I determine what I think is a fair price and I make that offer to any dealer who has the car that I want (and I am willing to travel far and wide to find that dealer, hundreds of miles if need be). They either take it or they don't. If I visit enough dealers and nobody will take my offer, then I consider upping the offer or waiting a little longer for the market to change.

I am usually able to get what I consider to be a good deal by using this method. Sometimes a good deal is MSRP, sometimes its 1000 below invoice, but the only way to truely know is to get out there and make some offers. If all the dealers that you are talking to are at about 500 over invoice, I would say that you have found out that the local market is 500 over invoice. For a CR-V, that is still a very decent deal because of the vehicle and the prices of the competition.

If YOU are happy with the deal, it is a GOOD deal. You seem like you have the info and have done the homework, now just make a deal and enjoy your new ride!

Good luck.

TB
    Paid $21,700 excluding title, tags and tax at Herb Chambers Internet Sales in Boston, MA. This price included the $500 dealer cash incentive which expires this month. That purchase experience was excellent. I test drove the car and 3 hours later drove it home.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    That is a great price!!.... I paid that for my '02 model, four years ago this month.. :cry:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

A great post!

Some people obsess over how much evil profit a dealer may be making more than anything else! Just amazing!
  • js253js253 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks "brandloyal" $21,700 including destination was they gave me. I went back after reading this blog and got the $500 cash incentive before closing the deal.
    Excellent! Glad I could help. Enjoy your new CR-V!
  • hondabuyer3hondabuyer3 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2006 CR-V 5DR 4WD LX (including $550 destination) for $20,050 (plus tax & title). No extras. Didn't know about $500 dealer incentive at time of buying. How did I do? Based on TMV's invoice price ($20,504 with destination), it appears I'm ~$450 below invoice. Now I'm not so sure it's a good deal though, reading others on this post who paid as much as $800 below invoice!

I appreciate any feedback, positive or negative, thanks :)
  • northwest1northwest1 Member Posts: 65
    What city are you located in? I am interested in the same model and will be purchasing soon!
    I'm in New Jersey. If you are in same state let me know.
  • crvbuyer1crvbuyer1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm also in NJ and was offered $22,000 for an 4WD LX, including all taxes, fees, registration. Would you happen to know if this is an excellent price?
  • azs1azs1 Member Posts: 15
    I just brought home my new CR-V (yippee! :D ), purchased after my 1991 Civic died after "only" 15 years (not quite dead, but more to repair than the car is worth at this point...lol).

Anyway....

MSRP was $23,589
    Invoice was $21,671.84

This is what I paid:

Car: $20,725.04
    Tax: $630.72
    Tags: $59.50
    Title: $35.23
    Dealer Prep $299

TOTAL (out the door) for car: $21,749.49

The car included wheel locks, but otherwise no options.

Purchased at Tyson's Corner Honda in Vienna, VA. Had a positive experience with my salesperson, who was very professional and helpful and didn't put a lot of pressure on me. Have to straighten out a little issue with the finance person today, but that will hopefully work out okay (tip: before doing the paperwork on your new car, read the forum here about warranties. The finance person WILL try to sell you one at a hugely inflated price so be sure to take in a copy of what you can get if for on the internet if you are interested in purchasing a warranty. I didn't think beforehand to do this so now need to cancel the warranty I purchased after finally being worn down at 10:30 pm or get them to honor the online price....arghhh).

BTW, if you are a AAA member, be sure to check the pricing offered through their affiliated dealers. One in my area agreed to sell Hondas at $500 below invoice -- I didn't go with that person, but used his bid to get an underbid (by a couple hundred dollars) from the dealer where I test drove the car.
    I think mine the loan total -came to 21,700, with everything (tax, destination, title, etc.). Keep in mind, when I bought mine earlier this month (CRV LX 4WD, Auto transmission) I wasn't aware of the $500 dealer incentive. In retrospect, I could have gone even $500 lower. If I were you I'd go in there with a bottom line price of 21, 200 (and REFUSE TO BUDGE, or walk out the door, and go to the next Honda dealer!!!). Go to several different dealers if you have to, but you have all of the negotiating power, because not only is it the end of the month, but the Honda dealers are in a rush trying to get rid of the 2006 stock before the new 2007 CRV comes out (which will have a different look, etc.)

Last but not least, once you get the price you want, beware of ad-ons at the various stations you are sent to, especially the financing table. They'll try to sell you extras (i.e. warranties) Just say "no extras", and get an internet price for financing beforehand, so you don't get taken by a high intersest rate on your loan. These are all additional ways they will try to "take you for a ride", so to speak.

Overall I thought my experience was great. I definitely did not make friends at the dealership but I got the price I wanted, which is exactly what I was there for :)
    Great Job!

Manual CR-V is a completley different beast than the rest :-) You will enjoy it greatly.
  • minivan561minivan561 Member Posts: 23
    Just picked up a 2006 CR-V 4WD LX. Only add-ons were: Door guards, wheel locks, pin stripes.

It had 5 miles on the odometer.

18,754 price paid (1200 below invoice)
    550 destination
    100 dealer processing
    185 TTL
    970 Tax
    20,559 Out the door price - paid by personal check.

Total time spent at dealer - approx. 2.5 hrs.
    Wow! Which dealer did you use? I feel like I did pretty well -- but you did great! How did you get them to go so far below invoice? Was there anything left for them after they dipped into the incentive and holdback?
    Thanks! Some of the salesmen seemed a bit surprised to have a woman coming in asking for a manual transmission, but I strongly prefer it. Luckily for me, the trim level I wanted (EX) comes with that option (I didn't even look at the RAV-4 since it now only comes with automatic).
    Thanks! Some of the salesmen seemed a bit surprised to have a woman coming in asking for a manual transmission, but I strongly prefer it. Luckily for me, the trim level I wanted (EX) comes with that option (I didn't even look at the RAV-4 since it now only comes with automatic).

Yeah, unfortunatley, it is a sad trend. Even in Europe the automatics now make up 10-15% of the cars on the road, up from 5% a few years ago. In the US, manuals are about 10% of the total market, and only about 3-5% of CR-V's come with manuals.

There is a lively discussion about auto's vs. manuals on the "other site"
    It was Ourisman Honda in Bethesda. I didn't have to do much except send out a bunch of emails to the local dealers. He replied with the lowest quote (though close to some others in this forum who were posting prices of 1K or so below invoice).

That got me into the dealership. I ended up paying an extra 100 above his original quote for the addons (which were only worth 50 bucks max in my estimate). Anyway, his offer was already low, so I was okay with it. He only went to the manager once with the haggling, so it was a very easygoing purchase (a different dealership last year went back and forth 4 times before I gave him the extra 100 bucks for an Odyssey).

I went in expecting the quote to be a low-ball price and having to walk out without an SUV (being a pessimistic person by nature), but came out feeling great. Salesman was extremely courteous, no bait and switch tactics, no hard sell tactics.

After my calculations based on 3% holdback, it seems like they only made about 100 bucks profit on the SUV. Maybe they needed to clear out inventory quick, with gas prices rising, demand decreasing, 07 model approaching - other dealers seem to be sticking to about 300 below invoice until September approaches.

I would definitely recommend this dealership, and if you're lucky, the salesperson who worked with me.

He had a few more left, so anyone looking for this model, hurry in.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Have to admit that you got a much better deal than what is available in the San Antonio/Austin market. Here the 2WD LX models with AT are going for $18,995.00 so needless to say I'm going to wait and see what happens in the coming months.
    I bought my last car from Ourisman (a Honda Civic in 1991!). That experience left me with somewhat of a "bad taste," so I didn't check back with them this time -- I guess maybe 15 years is a little too long to hold a grudge against a car dealership...lol!

My CR-V salesman went with me to the gas station to fill my car as I was leaving the dealership; it cost $45 to fill the tank. If you take that off of the $100 Ourisman made with your deal, they cleared even less!

I used a combination of email and in-person visits, but I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten as good a price as I did if I had only visited the dealerships. Their offers were at least $1,000 above what I ended up paying, and I am not at all confident that I would have been able to negotiate my way down from that to where I ended up without having the internet prices as well. In the end, I don't think there was very much left on the table (under $200, I think, not including the $299 "processing fee"), and I got the car I wanted (there aren't so many Sahara Sand manuals out there....).
    I think dealers are willing to take a small loss or small profit if they did good at the beginning of the year. The way I see it, at the beginning of the year, cars are selling at MSRP. The price trends down to invoice towards the middle of the year. The actual point at which invoice is reached depends on the market conditions. The current market conditions are very tough for SUV's, so from a business perspective, if I made large profits early on, I would cut prices for 2 reasons - 1. Minimize losses and 2. Keep the sales from going to another dealership.

From the Edmunds forums, the current pricing for CR-V's seem to be around 1K below invoice, so anyone who gets around this price is doing good. Variations depend on legwork, luck, and the dealership's perception about the current market, so it's not predictable. I think prices will drop even more as September approachs - how long someone decides to wait depends on their need of a new car - in my case, my 96 nissan sentra is starting to act up.

BTW, Thanks to all those who have posted their prices in past. It's everyones' openness that makes these forums useful.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Please don't post identifying info (like initials) of specific salespeople, per our policy printed above the "post a message" box. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• allysmomallysmom Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 CRV 4wd ex at a dealership in Tulsa ok in December 05 for $22,000. I thought that was a great price considering another local dealer was selling an 05 for $22,500. What I did was, I got a quote via the internet from a dealership in Oklahoma City that was cheaper than the on in Tulsa. So I called the dealership in Tulsa and asked to speak to the sales manager and asked him he could match the quote from OK City, he said no, I said OK I guess I'll drive to the city to save $2,000. He called me back about 10 minutes later and said he would match the deal, so I bought my new CRV in Tulsa. Just remember that you have to play the game or they will rip you off. I can be a very hard person to sell to, my husband cannot believe how I can act sometimes. I just tell him, if that want to sell their car bad enough, they'll negotiate. I hope this helps you out.
  • ashguy22ashguy22 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a LX 2WD CRV on the lot for $500 below invoice price! I think it was decent price for me! I read here that some are getting better deal but I really had to battle for mine.
    Let me know if you have Questions. I purchased from McDavid in Irving.
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    I think Edmunds is showing a $750 Honda-to-dealer incentive on the CRV right now.

They seem to sell a lot of cars at that David McDavid location -- they put up a good fight when we bought our Pilot there two years ago, but in the end I got the feeling that they sell so many cars that they aren't really sweating individual deals much.
  • bigsun111bigsun111 Member Posts: 9
    How did I do, folks? Just got the quote with $19500 including destination. Need to pay tax and TTL on top of that. Seems pretty easy to get that price.
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    Just got a quote from dealer in Milwaukee for 06 CRV LX 4WD Auto for $19255.00 including destination. What do you think?
  • bigsun111bigsun111 Member Posts: 9
    Wow! Nice, you did much better. I will try to push my dealer to match your price, hope I can get it. Anyway, keep the good work, and thanks for sharing the info.