Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    thebentmanthebentman Member Posts: 13
    Prefer not to specify, but Good luck with the search.
  • Options
    njshscnjshsc Member Posts: 5
    Hi, sounds a good deal. Could you tell me which dealer is this? I am in MA too and want to buy a CR-V. Thanks!
  • Options
    20yrhondaowner20yrhondaowner Member Posts: 2
    What kind of negotiating tricks are you using if you are getting dealer prices below invoice? $23,000 and $22,550 are below invoice in my area (Ky). I'm shopping around for an EX-L 2WD CR-V and have equotes in the $25,000-$27,000 range, and TMV is a little over $24,000. I would love to save as much as possible on purchase, wouldn't we all, and would love to know how some of you are getting such great deals. Thanks!
  • Options
    My number of 22,550 was for an EX AWD, not the EXL, but I will tell you what I did.

First I called the salesperson who I've dealt with in the past and have kept in touch with since she leased me my other car. She gave me a price of 23,100 which I then posted on this site a while ago, and people said I could and should do better. So I solicited email offers through edmunds excluding the above mentioned salesperson's dealer. Surprisingly, I only got an offer of 23,047 through that. Then, one Sunday yet another dealer advertised the EX AWD for 22,895. So I called my saleslady and told her that I have seen people on this site get this car for close to 22k and that is where I wanted to be. I told her that it was being advertised for 22,800 and based upon our relationship I expected her to do better. Well, she did, and met the 22,800 price. Then, I broke out a $250 dealer coupon that I presume she forgot that she mailed me a while ago and that brought the price down to 22,550 before tax and tags. The coupon specifically said that you should negotiate your best price and then use it, so I did. I'm still not sure if I could have done slightly better by a couple of hundred, but I have not seen it cheaper in the NYC metro area.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    BAIT AND SWITCH sales ...

Next time ask dealer to put the stock number and/or VIN number on the written quotation. Tell them to prepare the paperwork as you are ready to sign when you come down.

Check throught the paperwork, leave if it is different than you are promised. No need to argue. No need to check blood pressure. It is a waste of your time to deal with people like that.
  • Options
    junker98junker98 Member Posts: 2
    First, thanks to everyone on this forum for their posts, advice, and general feedback. I just purchased a new CRV EX AWD in the bay area, CA, and being informed really improved the experience!

Price breakdown:
    Negotiated Price (incl. dest): $22,175
    Document Fees: $55
    Tax (9.5%): $2,112
    License & Registration: $240
    Total: $24,582

I feel really good about the price. Based on posts here, I think I could have gotten another $175, but CA registration fees go up this week by ~$200, so not worth it. (btw, the $55 doc fee is set by the state of CA.) We did not do a full internet email barter. Rather, we started with a reputable dealer in the area, referred by a colleague, and dealt with their internet sales. Initially we were looking at a used CRV, but their "fair value price" was $2000 higher than the vehicle was worth. Of course they offered to take $1000-off, but that was still out of the ballpark (and I was stuck in a horse trade at that point). So, we said we weren't interested, however we did like the newer model better and wanted to see their best price on a new EX AWD. They quoted us $22,583 (+Doc/TTL). Did the whole thing where they showed us the Honda invoice sheet, and the $500 rebate. Said they were only making $300 and not willing to negotiate from there. We then took that quote to another dealer, who is known for being the best price in the area, picked a vehicle on their lot, and said "what's the best you can do on this car?" They eventually came down another $400. btw, for those of you unaware, Honda gives additional incentives based on dealer volume, so "invoice minus rebate" is not the true cost at a larger dealer. Plus cost of capital translates to ~$50 per month in holding costs, and risk of inventory obsolesence is still a problem this year. All pieces of ammo for you to use in your bartering.

I'm inclined not to post dealer names on this forum, but if you send me a private message, I would happily give a referral to either. They were both reasonable if you come armed with the right information.

and color was urban titanium w/ black interior. ultimately, my 2nd choice, and my wife's 3rd choice, so good enough to do business.
  • Options
    junker98junker98 Member Posts: 2
    thought the community would appreciate this. about two weeks ago, i scanned this forum going back to Jan 1 for the best prices paid on any given trim of CRV. below is the quick excel table i built. this is by no means an exact science, and I discarded some data points that were unclear (e.g. unsure if dest. fee was included, etc.). the table was built for CA tax + fees, but base price was best posted nationally. if helpful, feel free to comment, update, and use as a resource.

Model: CR-V CR-V CR-V CR-V CR-V CR-V
    Trim: LX LX EX EX EX-L EX-L
    Drive: 2WD 4WD 2WD 4WD 2WD 4WD
    Base price
    + any fees: 18,870 20,340 21,100 22,000 23,149 24,202
    Doc. Fees: 55 55 55 55 55 55
    Tax (9.5%): 1,798 1,938 2,010 2,095 2,204 2,304
    DMV Fees: 240 240 240 240 240 240
    OTD: 20,963 22,573 23,405 24,390 25,648 26,801

Tax Rate: 9.50%

btw, best prices for used vehicles were $1500-2000 less per year for the first 5 years, assuming ~12K miles per year. of course this varies tremendously based on actual vehicle condition, year/mileage, and trim/options. but, you should be able to buy through a dealer for about half way between Kelly Blue Book "trade-in value" and "private party value" (or less).
  • Options
    woodstockguywoodstockguy Member Posts: 18
    I bought my CRV EXL AWD-transaction done over the internet. Had to drive 5 hours but was prepared to turn around and go home if it was a bait and switch. Much to my surprise it was more than I expected. It was fully loaded-pin strped, sun/moon roof w/visor, spoiler, Blue tooth installed, upgraded rims, navi, premium sound...basically every upgrade you could put on the car. The sales rep did say "I have to tell you something..I hope this isn't a deal killer"...oh #@1P says me.

He took me to the car and the problem was it had an ivory/tan leather interior-instead of black. Exactly what the wife wanted! Traded an '07 Odessy for 23K, good deal. Out the door price of $24,749. It was off lease w/1207 miles on it. Carfax certified-nothing funky.The guy who ordered it loaded it since it was a company lease and it was not big enough so he turned it in for something bigger.

I was a happy camper driving back home for the next 5 hrs cranking the stereo and trying to figure out all the cool stuff that came with it. Was able to get the voice recognition featue to work without wrecking-I think I made out good. I have the only CRV EXL AWD Urban Titanium CRV like it in all of GA. :)
  • Options
    woodstockguywoodstockguy Member Posts: 18
    The dealer was actually an Infiniti dealer in NC-Lake Norman Infiniti-it was a flukey deal but scouring the internet works! I couldn't find an AWD in the entire Southeast reigion through the Honda dealership network. Good luck!
  • Options
    taijiabayataijiabaya Member Posts: 1
    I can't seem to find a way to PM other users.

if you can send me an e-mail with the dealers name that would be great
    can you e-mail it to minscho3@hotmail.com please?

thank you in advance.

BTW, I am planning on purchasing Taffeta White 4WD EX-L and have been quoted barely under 25k plus tax, doc fee etc.

does this seem reasonable?
    I have contacted many dealers and this is every dealer quote was around 25,300.

Thank you for any inputs in advance.
  • Options
    carolinagirl48carolinagirl48 Member Posts: 18
    You are doing better by $500, than anything I could do here in NC and southern VA.
  • Options
    Thanks for your detailed information. I calculated and you beat my BEST price (have prices from seven dealers) by over $1987. I made adjustments for the differences in sales tax. I live in NC, I may make a trip to MD. The MD price would be $22,479+674 (3% sales tax)+100 doc fees+ DMV title/ tag for a total of $23,327.
    BEST PRICE in NC/ Southern VA was $23,999+ 395 doc fees, taxes title and tag for OTD $25,314
  • Options
    Were you able to get this vehicle for the price they quoted you? If so, can you tell me the salesman you dealt with? Thanks.
  • Options
    dizzydesidizzydesi Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 2009 Honda CR-V EXL with Navi AWD early April. Traded in a car worth approximately $7500 - $8000 - paid $19,000 to the dealer as the final price (Autofair Manchester, NH). Since I am an NH resident, no taxes apply.

The dealership had poor customer service overall - I left with a feeling that I could have made a better deal. I think since the 2010 models should be out soon people should be able to drive for better deals.

Hope this helps. This site certainly helped me in the purchasing process. I urge all readers/visitors to please share their buying experience so others can benefit.

Good luck!
  • Options
    seeareveeseearevee Member Posts: 2
    I have gotten a lot of useful information from this website, so I will post details of my purchase that may be helpful to others. Today my new CRV was delivered to my home and I paid by personal check for $25,731.68 (NC sales tax for a new car is 3%)
    It was the exact car we wanted. Glacier Blue front wheel drive, EX-L, no nav. Dealer added a luggage rack as we requested. The total included license and registration fees of $68 (plates will be mailed to us) and the broker's fee of $219. I didn't shop at all. Just called the guy up and told him exactly what I wanted , he gave me a price, found the car, had the luggage rack installed and brought it to my house. AAA
  • Options
    What auto broker is it?

They accept personal check when the car delivered to your door?

Is the delivery on a trailer or by a driver?
  • Options
    seeareveeseearevee Member Posts: 2
    I mentioned the name at the end of my post. Not sure if you need to be a member - I am.

They accepted a personal check. I guess they know where I live.

They drove it to my house. Another car followed to take the driver of my car away. I suspect they also drove the car from the selling dealer which was about 250 miles from my home. A little annoying but no big deal. They may have washed it in between - car arrived in very nice/clean shape, full tank of gas.
  • Options
    If you live in NC, as I do, just send emails to a number of dealers within 100 miles or less. Tell them you want an OTD price. I just did this last week and 100% of the dealers replied back. I beat the brokers price listed here by about $400. I really haven't decided whether to buy since I already own a 2007 EXL CRV.
  • Options
    ron138ron138 Member Posts: 4
    Hello All,
    Please let me know if this is a good price in TX for CRV-EX.

Sale Price-$22000
    Tax-$1375
    Title Transfer-$74.80
    License-$34.00
    Inspection-$23.75
    Inventory Tax-$43.25
    Documentary Fee-$50
    Out the Door-$23600.80
  • Options
    FWD or AWD?
  • Options
    It is FWD. Am I paying more for this? The dealer is giving Free LIfe Time Power Train Warranty.
    ZIp: 78613, Cedar Park,TX
  • Options
    It seems to me that whether you get a "good deal" or not depends on what part of the country you are in. For example, there is a guy on here who said he got the EX AWD for 22,175 plust TTL. That is the best price I've seen, but he is from CA. I am in the NYC metro area and I paid 22,550 plus TTL for the same thing. I don't know why it matters where you are, but it appears to. Just comparing my purchase and the guy who got it for 22,175 to your deal, I would say your deal is not great because for just a bit more we got the AWD model.
  • Options
    Thansks. I live in Texas and I couldnt find AWD from the dealer. They have to order one for me. From what I understand from you message is I am paying bit more. From what number should I start negotaiating from here to get a decent deal
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    That doesn't sound like too bad of a price though I'd try to target somewhere around $21,940 for the sale price.
  • Options
    If I were you I would research how much the AWD option is really worth and then subtract it from the CA guy's price and shoot fort that. I haven't checked it, but see what the difference in the edmunds invoice prices are for the 2 models and use that number to save off of 22,175.
  • Options
    acartobuyacartobuy Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my CR-V EX 2WD in early May for $21,473; this includes the destination fee and all dealer charges but does not include the tax and title fees. I didn't get anything extra on the car (although there may be mud flaps - I'm not sure.) Good luck with your purchase - I'm really happy with my CR-V.
  • Options
    tknight42tknight42 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of working out a deal on the CRV EX-L AWD that seems to be pretty good. Invoice is 26019 and I was able to get them 1350 under invoice at 24668. Taxes, License, and fees it comes out to 26695. MSRP is around 27900. Any one have a similar experience or better for that matter? The deal is not done so any new info would be helpful!
  • Options
    johnrayjohnray Member Posts: 7
    I emailed a SC Honda dealer for the "out the door" price for a basic CR-V EX with no options, which should have been the FWD one. The salesman called with a final price of $23.375. Since he did not email me the price, listing what all it includes, I can't be sure if there are any doc or advertising fees, and he said something about it including the usual mud flaps and things they include as options, but he assured me that included the NC tax I would owe and title, etc.

I'm still leaning towards a 2009 4cyl. RAV4, but I don't like this $750 "SET" every Toyota dealer in the Southeast seems "required" to add to the price.
  • Options
    poordealguypoordealguy Member Posts: 4
    I have heard prices in Chicagoland are quite low...someone emailed me saying they got a CR-V EXL for $24,200 (Incl. Destination) + TTL

The best I could do in Cleveland was $24,900+TTL (~$27,100 OTD)

Try to get that price on print from that dealership...then email that to other dealers in the area and tell them you will buy if they beat that price by $300-$400. Make sure you diplomatically tell them that you will deal only by email and will not set foot in the store till they give you a final price.

Goodluck...
  • Options
    I can get 09 EXL AWD at $24,600 (incl dest chg) before 500 marketing support kicks in in Dec 08, so you should be OK in $24,100 because of the $500.
  • Options
    cubbieswincubbieswin Member Posts: 5
    I was quoted a price of $24,712 (incl dest) + TTL in Lake County, IL in Lake County.

It's just a few bucks more than what you were quoted. I'm not sure if it is a good deal or not.
  • Options
    tknight42tknight42 Member Posts: 2
    Mine was in Lake County at Pauly Honda. Rosen was 100 more and they wouldn't budge.
  • Options
    Where do you live, and who was the dealer you purchased this from? A salesman's name would also be nice. You got a very good deal. Thanks.
  • Options
    20yrhondaowner20yrhondaowner Member Posts: 2
    Thank you to everyone here who has posted their buying experiences. I used this forum for the first time in purchasing my vehicle last week. I shopped around for about a week, using Edmunds to get quotes from dealers and I even made a few cold phone calls myself. The price I got in Kentucky last week was $24,201. I really wanted to get down to at least $23,800 if not lower but I got tired of trying to haggle with the dealers, and I really needed my vehicle before last Saturday so my daughter could take my 2004 Accord EX. I called the dealer in Knoxville that had been referenced in this forum and asked for the $22,700 or so the one person here had gotten, but the dealer thought maybe it was just a EX at that price so he offered me $23,500. I didn't go with that because his processing fee was higher.

I also felt like maybe the dealers really wouldn't haggle much with me since I'm a female. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I had so many dealers practically laugh in my face and tell me they could not sell an EX-L 2WD for anywhere near $22,700-$23,300 as that was way below invoice.

Overall, I feel good about my purchase as I got within $300 of my goal price using Edmunds pricing guide. $24,201 sales price, plus $395 document fee, plus $1,452 TTL equals out the door price of $26,048.
  • Options
    maggieseanmaggiesean Member Posts: 6
    I have been looking for a CR-V LX 2WD 2009 with everything at the basic configuration.
    I got this price quote from a dealership at north part of Georgia:
    $ 19,348.00 Vehicle Price including $ 670.00 Destination

$ 577.00 Documentation / Administrative Fees

-------------------------

$ 1,394.75 7% sales tax ( could vary due to county of residence )

$ 22.00 State Fees ( Title and Lemon Law )

$ 000.00 Splash Guards , Paint Protection

$ 21,341.75 Total Price / Drive Out

And later I negotiated the price with the salesperson so the price of OTD is 21,102.xx.
    The MSRP for CR-V LX 2WD is $21,245
    and the tax rate here is 7%
  • Options
    edzheadedzhead Member Posts: 1
    This site helped a great deal in finding prices, so I thought I would share mine.
    Out the door price for 2009 2WD EXL with navi/navigation in Urban Titanium/Black leather interior was $27,170. That includes tax/tag/title (6% sales tax rate in Gwinnett Co./Georgia). Bought from Honda, Mall of Georgia. Fairly easy process, straightforward, professional. Would recommend if shopping in NE Georgia.
  • Options
    maggieseanmaggiesean Member Posts: 6
    Thank you so much for sharing. But I don't know whether I could get a good price for 2WD LX 2009 CRV with basic configuration. Maybe I would try...
    Thanks!
    :)
  • Options
    baglunchbaglunch Member Posts: 2
    thebentman,
    Did the price you mention include destination charge and the dealers "processing" or "doc" fee? I got a quote yesterday that is very close to that but did not include the destination charge, or TTL. I am also in NYC. I am looking to buy before the end of the month so that I can get in a good price to offset the lack of APR incentives. Currently the OTD price is hovering around 25k, although less is better I feel I can live with this price.

Thanks.
  • Options
    baglunch,

My price was 22,550 (destination included) plust tax, and DMV fees.

I guess my deal wasn't too bad then. No one seems to be able to get it much better around NYC, but one guy got a price of 22,175 in CA. Another thing that came to mind when reading your posting is that I guess the price can be affected by whether you are financing or not because obviously they make more money that way so they may accept a lower price, just like when they get you good on a trade in. I paid cash for my deal, no trade....
  • Options
    matchbox20_ismatchbox20_is Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,

I'm having difficulty getting a good price on a CR-V EX 4WD. The lowest quote I've received is 23,076+TTL. I've read this thread and it looks as though this is not a very good price at all. What do you think? Is there any dealership you know of that is particularly willing to give a good deal? I am in Texas and willing to travel for the right deal.

Thanks
  • Options
    I got $23,000 Drive out. After doing the test drive couple of times, I was not happy with the road noise and horse power. It is going to depreacite $4000 in 12 months. I decided to drop this CRV and looking for a MDX used with the same price range.
    I was crazy about CRV for 1 month doing research, I did test drive on used Acura MDX and I would spend that money on this MDX which make a lot of diffrence,
  • Options
    I have never questioned the truthfulness of anyone's postings here, and I don't now. However, 23k drive out for a new CRV 2009 EX AWD would imply a sale price of around 20,500-21k when you add in TTL. I have never seen anyone claim to get even close to this price on this model. Cheapest I've seen is 22,175 plus TTL. I wish I was as good as Ron138 at negotiating...
  • Options
    I'm interested in a 2007 CR-V EXL 4WD 4cyl that comes with what I guess is base for the EXL trim line (sunroof, dual heated leather seats/wrapped steering wheel, 6 Disc CD, etc.) and no options I can see except maybe a hitch on back and towbar in front. It has 39,850 miles, but I guess that's okay for a Honda, even though it's not certified. They have it listed for $22,888 on their site and $23,500 on their AutoTrader listing. Edmunds says it should be more like $19,992. Still seems like a lot for a two year old model with 40K miles on it. I could get a new EX for their asking price. What would a reasonable counter offer be?
  • Options
    bigrinbigrin Member Posts: 18
    If you're going to drop about 20K on an 07', go the extra and buy an 09'. If leather isn't mandatory, you can pop an 09 EX for about 22.5 to 23 if you look hard. I think the used 07' with 40K miles should be in the 18k range. Best luck to ya.
  • Options
    Good point. I never felt comfortable getting used, not knowing the exact way the car was driven or maintained. I did end up getting a new CR-V EX today after all. $23,300 out the door, including doc fees/license/tag/title/tax/wheel locks/nitrogen tire fill/dealer mop N glow, etc.. Could have paid a bit less for the used but more equipped EX-L, but am happier starting from new. Thanks for your advice.
  • Options
    cirone_cironecirone_cirone Member Posts: 1
    This forum was a big help in zeroing on a reasonable price range, so here's my data. I am in the Houston-Austin Texas area, so quotes reflect at 6.25% tax rate.

My winner:
    2WD LX w/ window tint, pinstriping, cargo-area cover for $19,980.50, or $21,477.89 drive-out. I am not financing through Honda.

Also quoted (drive-out prices):
    Lowest - w/ no adds $20,849.77
    Middle (of 11) - w/ no adds 21,915
    Highest - w/ window tint 22,492.71

Many of these quotes included options like window tint, pinstriping, and the pro package (wheel locks, mudflaps, trunk tray). This late in the model year, it was hard to find the color I wanted without dealer adds, so I think I paid a premium for that. The lowest quote was not a color I preferred.

Of the Houston-Austin dealerships, I found the following were the most eager to deal, and hence, the easiest to work with.

Gillman Honda Fort Bend
    Round Rock Honda
    Cleo Bay Honda
    John Eagle Honda of Houston

One sales manager said 20,300 is the invoice for the base 2WD LX with window tint and pro package. She was making a case for her 20,200 sales price (21,682 drive out).

Happy CR-V shopping, everyone! See y'all on the road :D
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    So which dealership did you end up buying from?
  • Options
    bigrinbigrin Member Posts: 18
    Good Job Johnray, you won't regret buying it new. Remember, the CR-V's hold their value so well, it's tough to find a good price on a nice used one with low miles. They are rare. Now you will know the complete history of the vehicle, because it's yours to make. Won't have to worry about whether or not a previous owner, put 5 yrs. on the trans spinning it's wheels in a winter ditch. Nice price by the way. Best wishes. cr
  • Options
    georgia_girlgeorgia_girl Member Posts: 5
    Hi I'm looking for just ath
    CR-V EXL with Nav, was the 25,300 with the destination fee inlcuded,
    and were taxes and title included as well? I'd buy that if I got that deal.
    Debbie
  • Options
    cubbieswincubbieswin Member Posts: 5
    I got an updated quote from a dealer yesterday for $20,312 + TTL for a 2009 Honda CRV EX-L AWD. I got another quote today that was $32 cheaper. What is going on? I have one reserved to buy it tomorrow.