Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    by the way, I got 4.74% APR for 60 month, my finance amount is 17976.88, the monthly pay is 339.32. But I think they calculate this wrong. Because originally I got 5.15% for APR and the finance amount is 18158, the monthly pay is 344.2. How come my rate is lower and the price is lower, but monthly pay is less than 5 dollars? Is there a way that I can double check it? Thank you,

Get your hands on a simple financial calculator. Alternatively you can create an Excel spreadsheet to do that or just use a web based financial calculator on here.
  • Options
    octopopsoctopops Member Posts: 8
    Denver5: thanks for the suggestion. Will talk to them/my C.U. Don't know if I mentioned it but I had my C.U. financing in place for 60 months at 4.75% (2/28/09). The dealership offered 4.3% thru BofA. At the time this was the best I could do 'down south'. But talk to my C.U. about a refi I will do...you never know.
  • Options
    Off the top...w/o a calculator...$5/month seems about right for less than a $200 difference at a .4% finance difference. Also note that when you use a calculator for pmts, it may/will differ from the dealer for the same amt at the same interest rate - because of the delay/lag in the first payment...i.e. you are financing from time of purchase till the last payment...(slightly longer than 60 months as an example).

I went over this with the finance guy when I purchased because my monthly calculator showed a different/lower monthly payment...not by much, but enough to cause me concern.

But yes, get/use a calculator, or Edmunds tools, or Excel. And make sure everyone is talking APR. I was 'surprised' several years ago when I let a Honda dealer finance - because it was at the same rate as my C.U. When we went to close the deal, the payment and rate (APR) were higher. Looking through the finance statement I noticed a $175 loan orig fee.

I began to walk out...as the dealer knew my CU = their email rate...They immediately threw out the LOF.

Buyer Beware. Do your homework up front. This and other Edmunds 'pricing' forums are a great place to start, do most of your up front work.
  • Options
    OHBAOBEI: apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Yes, send out as many requests for DETAILED price quotes as you can, within a distance you are willing to drive/fly to close the deal.

DETAILED= price before tax/title, list all accessories/cost w/i the price

Put them all on a spreadsheet. Email back to those who 'are in the ball park' giving them a 'last chance' for your business...final/best price before tax/title w/xx accessories (splash guards/wheel locks etc...if u wish).

Then call your local dealers who may NOT be the lowest. Ask them what else they can do ... knowing the gap between them and the lowest ... and the time/cost involved in driving elsewhere.

Use this forum and Edmunds 'Pricing' tab to understand 'current' prices paid...before tax/title for a specific model with specific accessories. Invoice is a relative/benchmark term, as is Edmunds 'Avg Prices Paid'.

Don't know what April will bring...but my recent experience suggests that a good price for an 09 CRV EX-L 2WD w/o NAV Glacier Blue, with splash guards is 22,700 to 23,000 (TN, NW OH) with GA, AL, FL slightly higher at 23,200 to 23,300 - price before tax/title.

Make sure you ask for price quotes from the Toledo OH Honda dealers (I have NO interest or relationships with them...only good experiences...price, service) to compare to your NE OH quotes. It may be worth the drive, or your NE guys/gals may decide to meet/beat their NW OH competition, rather than have you drive...let them know you will if NE is higher. Good Luck.
  • Options
    cc_wv_rdrcc_wv_rdr Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 3/31
    Price slightly less than $24,000
    No extras
    Excellent service and honesty from JC at Steve Hopkins Honda in Fairfield, CA.
    Drove apx 260 mi since no one from Oxnard to the bay area had the car and the price. I think the Oxnard guys almost laughed at my price range request.
    Received a fax for the sale price and dealer transfer invoice prior to travel.
  • Options
    dashadow88dashadow88 Member Posts: 1
    For reference:

Just bought a 2009 CR-V 4WD EX for $24,750 w/o options out the door. Went to DCH Kay Honda in Eatontown, NJ. Sales and finance people were the best, very honest, didn't haggle, and were just plain nice. I'll never go to any other Honda dealer again.

Thanks to the people on this forum for all the info.
  • Options
    newhondabuyernewhondabuyer Member Posts: 1
    Found an article on edmunds about a former dealer who tells all of the trade secrets. As I have heard from other people and also read on other cites, the dealers will listen in on what goes in the sales room when they leave to "talk to the manager" to "do you a favor" and get you the best deal.

Seems a little nuerotic so I decided to test this theory at a Nor California dealer: Dublin Honda. My brother and I were doing very well and while the salesman got up for the fourth time, right on cue my brother said aloud "do you think they bug this office?" I followed in a soft tone with something derogatory and degrading about the dealership, the sales manager, and the salesman. Sure enough the attitude changed when he came back: "Sorry, there is nothing that we can do for you."

Very interesting...... ;)
  • Options
    2009crvexl2009crvexl Member Posts: 1
    Just recently bought a 2009 CR-V EX-L after months of research and vehicle hunting. Took a while to find the exact colors (Urban Titanium with Ivory Leather) and got quotes from around 15 dealers. Best deal (Atlanta, GA area) was the following:

$23,499 (w/Destination) - Dealer Price
    $598.00 - Processing (no dealers in Georgia budge on this..)
    $1693.79 - GA 7% Tax
    $22 - Title and Lemon Law fee
    OTD Price: $25,912.79
  • Options
    crabbercrabber Member Posts: 1
    Hi nullreference:

I am also looking to buy a crv-ex 4wd in Chicago area. Your price is great! What dealer did you use? THX! :shades:
  • Options
    nullreferencenullreference Member Posts: 3
    You can send me an email, my address is my username here @gmail.com.
  • Options
    boudin1boudin1 Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought a CR-V 2WD EX in central North Carolina. Paid $21,679 + $398 doc + tax (3%) + tag ($74). OTD $22,801.
  • Options
    rickdude25rickdude25 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Thank for for the posting, I am looking at exactly the same car in NJ except for a 4WD. What is the best price do u think it would be out of door. I think one dealer came to around 27,000 for 2009 CR-V 4WD EX-L. Please let me know if this is a good deal.

Thank you
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I will try no more than 24,500(incl dest) for 2009 CR-V 4WD EX-L before doc fee, and TT&L
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply. The price I got 27000 is the Out of Door price incl. NJ taxes, doc fee and destination charges. So I think according to you 26500 should be ideal. I tried this weekend at several dealers for that price but no luck apparently and I need the car urgently.
  • Options
    yetttyettt Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote for Honda CRV LX AWD, $21700 on the road price (6% tax). is it a good deal?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    leftysleftys Member Posts: 2
    On April 13 I purchased a CRV-EXL AWD from Honda of Lisle for $24,600 including destination.

I had an offer from them for a FWD CRV-EXL for $23,550, but opted for the AWD.
  • Options
    Thank for your post. could you tell me what the out of door price is for this including registration, taxes, doc. fee
  • Options
    kickurbuttkickurbutt Member Posts: 2
    Am thinking of buying a Honda CRV LX 2WD this week here in Texas. What should I be paying for it? Out the door Price. Thank you.. :)
  • Options
    leftysleftys Member Posts: 2
    Total cost for AWD CRV EX-L was $24,600 plus $150 Doc, $25 ERT Fee, $1,832 Sales Tax, $143 License and Title. I don't think you'll get a better price in Chicago suburbs. I did not have a trade in.
  • Options
    georgia_girlgeorgia_girl Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking for a CRV EX-L wNav Glacier Blue or Green in Philly. But can drive to NYC or NJ or DE for it as well. Does anyone have a recent purchase for such a model, near Philly? And let me know the APR as well please.
  • Options
    jo1175jo1175 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 09 CR-V EX-L W/Navi - Dealer Installed - remote start, all weather mats, parrot bluetooth for $29,800 Out the Door In NJ with 8.375 tax..Is this a good deal?? thanks
  • Options
    frankf2frankf2 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I wonder if any of you just bought EX-L 4WD/navi in Boston area recently. Could you please share the best deal you can get. Or any of you plan to buy soon so we can make a group buying and a better deal.
  • Options
    twestbrooktwestbrook Member Posts: 1
    On April 18, 2009, I purchased a 2009 Honda CRV EX-L FWD without Navigation. Since my purchase experience was aided by posts within this forum, I decided to take time to record my buying experience for the benefit of others who may visit this forum. I live in Jackson, MS and obtained email and telephone quotes from 11 dealers within 200 miles of Jackson - Wolfchase Honda in Memphis, Covington Honda outside New Orleans, Treadwell Honda in Mobile, Tameron Honda in Birmingham, Townsend Honda in Tuscaloosa, Richards Honda in Baton Rouge plus 5 MS dealerships.

Covington Honda and Treadwell Honda had the best initial prices, quoting 23,997 and 24,000 respectively, which included the vehicle, destination and doc/dealer fees. Ultimately, a local Jackson dealership quoted me 23,951 including dealer installed wheel locks and F/R mud guards. The only other added costs were MS sales tax of 5% + 5 title fee and 5 inspection sticker.

The dealer still made a little money, based on what I believe to be the underlying costs: Edmunds Dealer Cost of 24,899 minus 500 Honda Marketing Assistance minus 521 Dealer Holdback (2% of MSRP w/o destination) = 23,878 real cost versus 23,951 paid.

The suggestion elsewhere in this forum to contact multiple dealers is a good idea. Ony two of the 11 dealers initially quoted "skinny deals" as they apparently call them in the car trade. Good luck on your purchase!
  • Options
    I've been trying to get something like that in Phila, but no luck so far,
    your tax is about 1.5K more than ours, and even with that, your deal
    seems better.
  • Options
    I'm planning to buy the same car, I'd be willing to make a group buy with you.
    I'm in Philly. But for the right deal would be willing to join your group.
  • Options
    georgebush1georgebush1 Member Posts: 22
    Got a price quote from Team Honda in Atlanta for an 09, CR-V, EX, 2WD, OTD price of $21,303. This seems too good to be true, so I asked the sales rep to confirm. He said that was OTD price (tax, tag, title, dest fee, process fee). What do you guys think?
  • Options
    I think it is nice OTD price. What sale tax % in GA?
  • Options
    morgentau91morgentau91 Member Posts: 1
    Lafontaine Honda in Dearborn, Michigan scams their customers. For a 2009 Honda CRV EXL, they quoted me $20,390.49... OTD price 22,525.52 + plate. They sales lady wrote me an email with those exact prices, but when I went to the dealer with the email, they just wasted my time. Is there any law that says that they are obligated to sell the car at the price they quoted?
  • Options
    ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    My daughter had this same thing happen at Crown Honda in Charlotte NC. An email (with a picture of the salesman, and company logo) low balled actual asking price by about $1500!
  • Options
    BAIT AND SWITCH LAW

The bait and switch is a fraudulent sales tactic that is punishable by US law, as false advertising. Though the law forbids the bait and switch, it is commonly used, and one can find examples of it in virtually any advertising circular for major department stores, electronics and computer stores, and automobile retailers. The purpose of the bait and switch tactic is to get customers to visit a store or business by advertising very low prices. Once the customer is in the store, the salespeople attempt to offer the customer items at higher prices.
    The bait and switch begins with the bait, an advertisement for a product at what seems like an extremely low price. Sometimes these products, such as a mattress, are of very low quality. Other times, the price may apply to one specific style of, or model of an item. In general, the bait is stocked in very low numbers. In some cases, only one or two of items are available at the low price.
    Once the customer has walked into the retail establishment, the bait and switch moves to the switch. The salesperson will inform the customer that the store has sold out of the advertised item and offer a similar item at a higher price. Alternately the salesperson may push hard to be certain the customer understands that the lower-priced product is of inferior quality, and try to sell a better quality product at a higher price. Bait and switch may also be used to bring in customers with bait, low prices, and also raise prices of unrelated items that customers might also pick up at the time.
    To avoid prosecution for bait and switch tactics, advertisements frequently place in small print that the store does not allow rain checks, or that the item is limited to the quantity in the store. Reading the fine print of an advertisement can often alert customers that the advertisement is clearly employing a bait and switch tactic. In auto sales, one will often see a new car, priced below high blue book. The customer should be aware the price refers not to all cars of this type in the auto retailer’s inventory, but usually to one car, which is quickly sold.
    With resolve, a customer may ignore salespeople and purchase the low-priced item, but quality of the item should be carefully evaluated before deciding on a purchase. One may also want to avoid purchasing other items from a retail store where the prices seem higher than usual. It may be less costly to purchase needed items from a store that does not practice bait and switch techniques.
    When a true bait and switch scam exists, the store can be sued for fraud. However, such lawsuits are frequently not successfully resolved without a great deal of time and documentation. What customers can do to reduce bait and switch sales is to report this activity to the Better Business Bureau in the US.
    Reports can be made over the Internet, and can usually be completed within a few minutes. The Better Business Bureau keeps records on companies with significant customer complaints. Evaluating a Better Business Bureau report on a retailer can help one decide whether they want to plow through the bait and switch tactics of a store, or give their business to more deserving retailers.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Is there any law that says that they are obligated to sell the car at the price they quoted?

No... find a new dealer..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    maggieseanmaggiesean Member Posts: 6
    Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am trying to buy a CR-V LX 2WD 2009 without any extras or accessories. I first got the OTD price from a dealership as 21,341.75, although I have to drive about one hour to get to this dealership. And then another dealership in town (15 minutes driving) said they can match this price. Then I talked to the first dealership again, and he told me that he could work toward 21,200 and he also asked me to offer a price that I would buy for.
    PS: TAX here is 7%.
    I read the posts here and found the lowest price for a CR-V LX 2WD 2009 was the one bought by camel at MD in January, which was 20,250. So I am not sure whether I should tell the first dealership this price as my target price. My concern is: I think the tax rate at Maryland is 3%, and then here in GA it is 7%. If I tell the dealership that I want the same price as the person got at MD, will the dealership get pissed off by me? Or am I too greedy?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Options
    dautomdautom Member Posts: 6
    I bought this CRV in Mid march 2009 at a local dealer:
    car price: $21,100 included DES+ Mug Guard, Wheel lock, All wheather floor mat+ cargo tray
    LoJack installed $300.
    tax in LA %8.25 ( Tried to beat April 1st tax hike another 1.25%) and double licence fee on May 19)

out the door $23,500 financed at % 5.68 for 36 Months from AHFS

The sweet part was two week later, I got a letter from AHFS offered 0.9% interest for 36 months. I brought the letter to the dealer who adjusted and charge $100 for document fee

Thanks
  • Options
    vnktvnkt Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I recieved an internet quote price of $22,034 for CRV-EX 2WD in PA area. Is this a good price or we can negotiate further. And for a good credit score, what is the right interest rate to finance the car for 60months period. Kindly share your advise, thanks in advace.

Regards
  • Options
    bryanchkinsbryanchkins Member Posts: 3
    woaah?! $24,600 including destination for a 2009 CRV EX-L? does this includes the tax and other fees? youre a one lucky guy then! I've been planning to get the EX only since they quoted us $26,000 for the EX-L excluding the tax and fees yet. :cry:
  • Options
    Hey do you mind if you can post here the vehicle price, tax and other fees on your new 2009 CRV EX? Im planning to buy an CRV EX trim also but they're giving me bad quote deal. How come you can get them a thousand less on my quotes? :cry:
  • Options
    kickurbuttkickurbutt Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday I went to a Dealership and got them to sell me a Honda CRV LX 2WD for 21,150. I think I got it for a pretty good price here in Dallas Texas.. :)
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply!
    Can you please tell me what is your tax rate? And did you do finance? If yes, what the APR did you get from the dealership?
    Thank you very much!
  • Options
    Hello all, can someone tell me whether usually it is better to go to a regular bank such as BOA to get financing when you buy a car, or should I do this through the finance department of the dealership? :lemon: Is that required that I have to do the finance through the dealership?
    I am worried that even if the dealership give a good price, but they can still hassle when it comes to financing...
    Sorry this is the first I buy a new car, and I don't know many thing. Thank you for any suggestions. :)
  • Options
    acartobuyacartobuy Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted a price of $21,475 for a CR-V EX 2WD. This includes the dealer's processing fee but does not include tax or tags. It has nothing extra on it.
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    You don't have to finance through the dealership so what I'd recommend is first getting your credit rating score and then check to see who is offering the best interest rate. I've always had financing arranged prior to purchasing the vehicle, that way it's one less headache to deal with however you also have the option of accepting the dealerships rate if they offer a lower one than the one you got..
  • Options
    matt92matt92 Member Posts: 2
    On April 17th I bought a 2wd CR-V EX-L in Washington D.C. The sale price was $22,479. The Out the Door price was $24,865.94 (includes $1393.94 for MD tax, $222 for tags, $100 processing fee). No navigation system, no 4wd.

Just to give folks a sense of the market here - I contacted 22 dealers within a 50 mile radius - all through email. I didn't give anyone my phone number - instead I gave only an email and a fake phone number and in the comments section I asked that they email only. I got prices back from all 22 dealers and went back and forth with the four or five lowest. No one was able to match my low price, and the low price dealer traded an in stock car for the color I wanted (evidently this is normal practice between dealers). 7 dealers were between $22,900 and $23,300 (base price, not including taxes, title, license, and fees). 9 dealers were between $23,300 and $23,900. Everyone else was above $23,900, with the high price being $25,615 (from Northwest Honda of Owings Mills - that might have include the $670 shipping fee, I don't remember).

The lowest price beat everyone else by at least $500 OTD. I ran that price by 4 other dealers and no one wanted to match it (I bought from Emily Moore of Shockley Honda in Frederick, MD).

The dealer was great - no pressure to trade in, very little to finance. My only gripe there is the process took a couple of hours longer than it needed to because the manager who needed to finalize the deal had to talk to two other couples before he was able to process our paperwork.

Once I had picked the model and package I wanted and started seriously emailing around for prices, the whole process took me 3 days and about 70 emails. The invoice price on the car I bought (according to an internet search) is $24,229, the MSRP is $26,045.

During the process I did visit two other dealers in person (to test drive the cars, see colors, etc.) I worked with Julius Crane of SportHonda in Silver Spring. I thought Julius was very professional, and he listened well. He didn't pressure us much, except when he found out he didn't have any 2wd versions of the CR-V EX-L in stock. At that point he did push to get me to buy a 4wd version, which I wasn't interested in. Generally, I thought Julius was a decent guy, and though I didn't buy from them, I thought SportHonda seemed to run a fair dealership.

@** paperwork, and perhaps I could look at the cars without being hassled too much - the previous salesguy wasn't there, though. A new salesman was trying to steal the first guy's commission (I suspect) and tried to get me to fill out the 45 minutes of paperwork again. At that point I decided not to deal with this dealership anymore.

That's about it. Good luck.
  • Options
    i see.. so that falls to like $22,000+ as MSRP? thanks anyways, I guess I'll just get the CRV LX, any suggestions or opinions?
  • Options
    yh2009yh2009 Member Posts: 2
    Quoted price of LX recently. The dealer (North Carolina tax 3%) offered OTD price 21322. It is higher than the reasonable price for me. Is it possible I ask the dealer to add a roof rack and still sell the car with this price?

Thanks
  • Options
    netmonnetmon Member Posts: 2
    I am getting the LX AWD for 20396 + taxes+ doc fee. Do you think this is a good price ?
  • Options
    "... to fill out the 45 minutes of paperwork ..."

You must be awfully slow or there'are pages of blanks for you to fill in.
    For test drive a car, most dealers wants you to fill out one page worksheet and take a copy of tour driver license. No multip-pages to fill until a deal is made.
  • Options
    georgebush1georgebush1 Member Posts: 22
    They recommend visiting Edmunds. I think the "unbiased" reviews on here may start to get a little slanted. Anyone else agree?
  • Options
    abcmnabcmn Member Posts: 2
    I got $21250+ttl on LX AWD (MSRP$23,115, $670 desination charged included). Does your price $20396 including the $670? If so, can I have the dealer's name? I need to buy this week.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    If you look at all the advertising on the right hand side of the page, you'll notice that a lot of makes advertise here..

Who would be posting the false reviews? Edmunds is a for-profit company, but they rely on unbiased information for consumers, as they are the primary focus of the website.. Doubt anyone has time to doctor up the review process, anyway.. :surprise:

I do like the ads, though.. pretty cool!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    iceblue2009iceblue2009 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Dautom,

Can you tell me the dealer's name and location. Thank you very much! :)