Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan

rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
300+ HP 5.6L DOHC, 5-speed automatic, up to 9400 pounds towing, 17" & 18" tires, sprayed-in bedliner, rear fender storage, etc.

Very impressive & great looking, to boot!

http://www.autonews.com/files/2003_detroit/nissan/titan/

Bob

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    great looking?

I think it looks hideous. Did the aztec design team get fired and move to nissan?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    and I can't believe they strayed from that concept truck to make something that looks like an oversized frontier. The numbers look good as far as capacity for towing, torque and HP. The Frontier isn't exactly the best selling compact truck. Surely they couldv'e figured that out. Can't be the same design team as the G35 and 350Z could it?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Can you say "Nissan family-look"? As to good vs bad styling: You'll never get anywhere near 100% agreement on this. One man's passion is another man's poison. As to me, I like the looks a lot.

Beyond that, I predict this vehicle will be everything that the Tundra isn't. Larger. Much more powerful. No question as to it being a full-size pickup. And yes, great looks (IMO).

Bob
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    the new Dodge Rams! But somebdoy needs to tell Nissan (and GM) to do away with plastic molding. They ruined the tailgate with that molding around the handle, IMO.
    5.6L 300+ HP aluminum-block DOHC engine, standard. 5-speed automatic, standard. 9400 pounds towing capability. Available in both King Cab and Crew Cab (no regular cab!). 285/70x17 tires & 265/70x 18 tires available, with 245/75x17 standard. Factory-applied sprayed-in bedliner. Many bed accessories, and features. Fender storage, and the list goes on...

Don't know actual dimensions, or GVW/payload yet. My guess is that size-wise, it will match the Detroit trucks, unlike the Tundra.

Bob
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I agree with those that think the Titan is not the prettiest truck ever seen. In fact, someone mentioned that black thing around the handle of the tailgate. That style treatment looks out-of-place, awkward, unbalanced, "Frontier-ish," if you like. Pretty close to moderately ugly, to my eye.

The rest of the truck, with its angular styling cue doesn't take kindly to my eyes either, but in all fairness it is not the extreme angular, flat-paneled, plastic toy-like look of the Avalanche (should be called "Hurlmylunch") or the hideous looking Aztec. Both of these vehicles are among a cadre of recent designs that have managed to displace the '61 Plymouth as the ugliest car of all time award.

Now keep in mind that despite my opinion some mind find the two aforementioned vehicles good looking or even pretty. And they wouldn't be wrong, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

We all know that Nissan has a tendency to be a little quirky at times. Nissan is probably the only car manufacturer to ever run a series of car ads without ever showing a car! Not spectacularly brilliant, in my opinion. The Exterra styling is not overwhelmingly received, either. But, Nissan rarely mis-executes a design from an engineering standpoint. They make quality products most of the time. Efficient, reliable, and durable. Sure they have a few problems, but comparatively far less than most of their competition. And I say that as a Toyota Avalon owner.

I admit to having more conservative tastes, at least in cars and trucks. I think that the '93 Sentra that I just sold was and still is a very good looking design, and I know others agree. But the Titan look is not so severe as to turn me off. The Avalanche and Aztec DO turn me off.

If I had to bet, my money would be on the guess that the first year of the Titan there will be less design, component, and assembly related problems than a Avalanche or Aztec in the last year of production. Besides, the inside is where I drive a vehicle from and I don't see the outside of the vehicle from that vantage point. And maybe I'm a little different, too, in that I don't buy $25 - $30,000 vehicle to impress or enamour my friends or nieghbors.

Nissan, like any other manufacturer, has their own styling philosophy. I sometimes wonder what that is, exactly, but it is their own and they are not afraid to make a styling statement. How refreshing!

And, it could've been worse, as they say.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    goes to it being ugly. I like Nissan's having owned two Maxima's, but what are they thinking with this one????
    takes some getting used to. I bet, once these Titans are on the road for a while, they will look very ordinary.

Anybody remember how everybody hated the Dodge Ram, when it came out with that (radical) Kenworth front end a few years back. Today, most people like the way Dodge trucks look. It just takes time to get used to the looks...

Bob
    Still hate the Dodge look. And a big Frontier don't work either. Well, for Nissan's sake I hope I'm wrong. Now if it looked more like a Hardbody.......
    one man's passion, is another man's poison...

Bob
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I like Nissans. I owned a 1998 Frontier and liked the styling.
    That said, the Titan is just UGLY.
    Function over form in this case.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    I disagree.
    Do people find Azteks pretty now that they've been out for a while?
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    Full specs at http://www.nissanusa.com.

Size wise, same as a F-150. I think it looks pretty good. And this is coming from someone who dislikes the appearance of the entire Nissan lineup.

It specs out pretty good. They're looking to sell 100k per year, and I don't think they'll have a hard time doing it.

• obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Finally!! One of the import companies got it right with a full size pickup!! GOOD JOB NISSAN!! I agree with the above statement that the Titan is. "everything the Tundra is not" It is bigger and more powerful. It will actually compete with the F-150, 1500 Chev/GMC and Ram 1500!! Sign me up for one (if I needed a truck!)!! I love the design!!

Once again, good job Nissan!! Can't wait for the comparo's to begin!!

Obi
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/83142/page043.html

I couldn't agree more: "The Nissan Titan is now the one to beat. Innovative features abound and Nissan pulled no punches in developing this real ground-breaking full-size truck."

I only wish the 4WD had a full-time mode too. Other than that, it's about perfect. I can't wait to see the crew cab version.

Bob

"I think it looks pretty good. And this is coming from someone who dislikes the appearance of the entire Nissan lineup."

You don't like the looks of the 350Z or the Frontier?
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    I wonder how concerned the Big 3 are now that Japan Inc. has zeroed on on the sole cash cow for the US auto industry -- the full-sized pickup. The T100 was a half-hearted attempt as is the Tundra. The Titan looks good to me and the ebgine specs are just plain awesome. Betcha Nissan hits their 100,000 unit/year target.
  • btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    Granted this truck seems to have some great advancements and would be a great vehicle...It looks like and Aztec crossed with a Frontier! It makes the Avalanche sexy! I was expecting better from Nissan because I really like many of their new cars (Z, Maxima, Altima, even the Frontier).
  • sgtjimsgtjim Member Posts: 13
    The specs say that it has a stylish dash with 6 gauges.
    The picture is difficult to see if they include an ampmeter and Oil pressure as well as Temp and Fuel.
    Can anyone tell me? I insist on full instrumentaion
    and everyone is trying to get away with Fuel and Temp
    in the cars and SUV's.
    And soon after, a Titan-based SUV will be announced with IRS, like the new Expedition!

http://TheCarConnection.com/index.asp?article=5660&sid=173&n=156

Bob

• jamiecassjamiecass Member Posts: 1
    Without an 8ft bed available, The Titan is still no threat. Nissan and Toyota just pissed away the entire working truck market. For everything done right with the Titan, you can't call it a full size truck without an 8ft. bed available. Maybe Nissan and Toyota will get it right with the next generation of "Full Size" trucks.
    I haven't seen one of those in awhile. I know of one owner of a chevy ext. cab LB while most choose the reg cab LB. Extended cabs have proven more versatile and with using a bed extender capacity is near 8'.

I'll give Nissan one thing....at least it doesn't look like a F150.
    aren't a big issue in the 1/2 ton class, which is what the Titan is. 90% of 1/2 tons sold are extended cabs with short beds.

Nissan is working on a 3/4 ton version. You can bet it will have an 8' bed. As to losing the "work truck" market; they'll sell every truck they make. Most 1/2 ton customers, these days are homeowners, or dual-purpose (pleasure/work) owners. The work truck folks buy 3/4 ton trucks.

Nissan knows what they're doing...

Bob
    for an 8' bed, I'd be looking a 3/4 ton truck, not a 1/2 ton. Most 1/2 ton trucks, with 8' beds, have lousy payload ratings, especially 4x4 versions.

Bob
    1/2 ton reg cab long beds

I see a ton. Especially in the construction (home improvement) industry. Just plain work trucks (not used for hauling much more than tools/people/2x4s.
  • thecargonzothecargonzo Member Posts: 31
    Wow, talk about getting smoked on your home turf.

Ford Execs were oh so proud of their new baby and it's 5.4 SOHC three-valve engine (just as good as a DOHC, they said) and their oh so trendy J Mays inspired multiple interiors...that they missed the 265lb linebacker of a vehicle which flat "Out-Trucked" the F-150. I'm not real excited by the front end sheetmetal of the Titan, but 5.6L of DOHC power (300hp/375lb-ft) 180 degree articulating rear doors, factory spray-in bedliner and side bed storage compartment show Nissan was innovating, while Ford was trying to make their floor shift lever remind people to buy "Steely Dan" CDs (hint,hint).
    are 3/4 models, by a long shot... I'd say the ratio is probably 20 3/4 tons long-beds to every 1/2 ton long-bed, at least.

Bob
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    "Most 1/2 ton trucks, with 8' beds, have lousy payload ratings, especially 4x4 versions." Really? My Silverado 8 foot bed 1/2 ton payload capacity is nearly 1 ton! In both 2wd and 4wd versions the payload capacity is HIGHER for the 8 foot bed. Why? Becasue the GVWR is higher for the 8 foot bed truck. I see many 1/2 ton Silverados with 8 foot beds. Many construction sites, state parks, beach patrols, military use, ect, use these 1/2 ton trucks with 8 foot beds.
    Most new full-size 1/2 ton 4x4 with 8' beds have payloads between 1400 - 1800 pounds, which for a truck that size—is lousy. I've even seen some (Dodge, 1375 pounds, Quad Cab 4x4, 8' bed, IIFC) that are rated under 1400 pounds.

1800 pounds is okay, but still not great, IMO. My old '86 F-150 regular cab, 8' bed 4x4, had a payload of 2200 pounds. Frankly, I think all full-size trucks should have a minimum payload of 2000 pounds.

Most contractors must feel the same way, as HD 3/4 models are clearly the vehicle of choice. Yes, there are uses for 8' bed 1/2 tons; I never said there wasn't. I'm just saying that at least 90% of all full-size 1/2 tons sold, are with short beds and extended cabs, at least that's true where I live, which is rural/suburban Maryland.

Bob
    payload ratings (03 Silverado brochure pg 46-47)

Reg cab short box 2wd - 1958lbs
    Reg cab short box 4wd - 1661lbs

Reg cab long box 2wd - 2123lbs
    Reg cab long box 4wd - 1821lbs

These values are for the standard 4.3L V-6 engine.
    Chevy (and GMC) does a better job than Ford or Dodge. Check their payload ratings. I think you'll find them lower. In every case, no matter what brand, 2WDs will have higher payloads, assuming they both have the same GVW.

Also, the extended cab models—which is what most 1/2 tons are sold as, are lower still, for both 2WD & 4WD.

Bob
    yea ext cab models are lower.

ext cab sb 2wd (4.3) - 1645lbs
    ext cab sb 4wd (4.8) - 1475lbs

ext cab lb 2wd (5.3) - 1572lbs
    ext cab lb 4wd (5.3) - 1288lbs

And for comparison issues

reg cab long bed 2500HD 2wd (6.0) - 4047lbs
    reg cab long bed 2500HD 4wd (6.0) - 3760lbs

ext cab long bed 2500HD 2wd (6.0) - 3644lbs
    ext cab long bed 2500HD 4wd (6.0) - 3372lbs
    ext cab sb 2wd (4.3) - 1645lbs
    ext cab sb 4wd (4.8) - 1475lbs

ext cab lb 2wd (5.3) - 1572lbs
    ext cab lb 4wd (5.3) - 1288lbs

What Chevy is quoting here is typical of all brands. A 1288lbs payload, for a full-size truck is LOUSY!

The worst offenders are: 4x4, long-bed, extended-cab, 1/2 ton pickups. The payloads on those models—from *all* brands—are LOUSY! I don't think there's one over 1400 pounds. And if there is, it's *barely* over that limit. Also note, these are the least popular 1/2 tons. I wonder why...

Bob
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    "The worst offenders are: 4x4, long-bed, extended-cab, 1/2 ton pickups. The payloads on those models—from *all* brands—are LOUSY! I don't think there's one over 1400 pounds. And if there is, it's *barely* over that limit. Also note, these are the least popular 1/2 tons. I wonder why..."

I am sure it has **nothing** to do with the payload rating. A few hundred pounds payload rating is not going to make someone switch from LWB to SWB. The fact is these trucks are just too damm long! Try parking one of these trucks in a busy lot....forget it. Most of these trucks are use to carry poeple or tow and owners seem to like the better ride from the 1/2 ton models over the 3/4 ton trucks.
    Payload has nothing to do with it? Then why are long-bed extended cab 3/4 & 1-ton models, sell so well, and the 1/2 ton versions don't? It's payload (and towing) capability of the HD trucks buddy. Those are "work" trucks.

1/2 tons are rarely considered as work trucks these days. The lion's share are sold for personal use—and Nissan (and Ford, etc.) knows that.

Bob
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Is really the only point to look at here. When I was selling new & used autos at a car broker, a guy traded in his 98 F-150 Ext. Cab long bed. That thing was an absolute NIGHTMARE to manuver around the lot. Matter of fact, when I talked with him, he said the main reason he was getting rid of it was because of the length. He was tired of having to try to park it and drive it in small places.

That said, I think as a work truck ONLY, the long bed serves it purpose (on 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons). As far as every day use, not very many people need something much larger than a 6.5 foot bed.

If Nissan does well with the Titan, maybe they will release a long bed, but I just don't think that is what they are worried about right now.

Also, the absolute WORSE long bed I have seen is the new Dodge Crew Cab with the long bed. That thing is HUGE!!!!

Obi
    For most people, a short bed is just fine.

Titan web site!

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/FutureModelHomePageStatic/0,,24367,00.html

At a glance

Wheelbase: 139.8"

Length: 224.2"

Width: 78.8"

Height (4x4): 76.0"

Width between wheelwells (bed): 50.0"

Bed depth: 19.9"

Bed length: 6'7"

No GVW or payload ratings yet

Check out the bed and bed accessories. It's got adjustable tie downs for sides, back & floor! Sprayed in bedliner is great too. With tailgate down, and using the bed extender, 4'x8' panels fit just fine.

This truck is a winner folks!

Bob

• lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    Nissan has the capacity to build about 100,000 trucks a year. If you were Nissan, would you worry about building stripped work trucks with 8 foot beds or would you rather build highly profitable and very popular ext cab short box trucks? All thier doing is starting out production in the most profitable segment. As time goes by I'm sure they'll fill in the product line.
    I couldn't have said it better! :)

Bob
  • yurian44yurian44 Member Posts: 25
    My first Nissan pickup went over 120,000 miles with only routine maintenence and brake pads all around before it was stolen. My second Nissan truck went 170,000 miles with new pads, new timing chain and a new alternator before i gave it to my niece. Original engine, tranny and clutch, it has 190,000 now with no new work on it. My current Nissan truck is just over 60,000 miles with just routine maintenence. So yes, i'm interested in this new Nissan truck they've done right by me so far.
    Not sure if I posted this before...

http://TheCarConnection.com/index.asp?article=5664&sid=275&am- p;n=157

A quote from the above link:

<< Looking ahead, a Nissan full-size SUV based on the Titan, but with an independent rear suspension, will be shown at the New York Auto Show along with the Titan Crew Cab. And Nissan seems to be studying seriously the development of a heavy-duty pickup. Diesels, too, are on the consideration list, and execs say they&#146;ve talked to Delphi about that company&#146;s Quadrasteer four-wheel steering. >>

Bob
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    It looks much better in person than in the pictures. It also looks BIG. My wife said the huge chrome front bumper must be there so people in small cars can see what they look like as they're being run over.

-Jason
  • canpamcanpam Member Posts: 24
    I just got a glimpse of the new Nissan Titan and it looks great to me! It has a powerful look, awesome interior and a great name to match. Nissan is just going all out with their new products- I am impressed.
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Hey Titan sports fans,

How about we quit making spec stew and wait until we drive the darn thing before saying it's the best ever? Nissan is very capable of building a truck that would rule the market. It's also capable of making it quirky or screwing it up. No matter how hard we wish it was a winner it still remains to be seen. Sales depend more on feel, maneuverability, utility, not the black thing around the tailgate handle or who cares for a scaled up version of Nissan family face. The breed look works for Ford (Escape/Explorer/Expedition), why not Nissan?

I look forward to keeping my '03 Expie a long time, by then the Titan turned SUV might be worth looking at.

Cheers!
    Got a newspaper insert today, on the upcoming Baltimore Car Show, with a full-page ad from Nissan indicating that the Titan, as well as the new Quest and Maxima, will be at the Baltimore car Show next weekend. The all-new '04 F-150 will be there too. Should be interesting.

Bob
    << The breed look works for Ford (Escape/Explorer/Expedition), why not Nissan? >>

It works for many carmakers: Mercedes Benz, BMW, Volvo, Saab, Jeep, etc. There's never any misidentifying or confusing any of those models for anything other than what they are. It's a smart move on Nissan's part.

Bob
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    You're just a 'little' excited about this truck eh?