Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kbhockeykbhockey Member Posts: 29
    Paid 30.5k for V6 sport w JBL/sunroof/DRL/wheel locks/running boards/conv pkg/cargo sys/rear spoiler

Black/Grey cloth

LOVE IT!
  • aheckaheck Member Posts: 36
    Hello,

We are considering a 2003 4Runner, probably the base SR5 with leather. I have 2 questions I'm hoping the group can help with.

One, since we are nearing the end of the 2003 season, can anyone who's bought during this time in previous years comment on incentives given by Toyota and/or the dealer? I see a lot of companies are giving $1000 and up to $4000 I think from Ford. Will Toyota do something like this as we get closer to the 2004 models?

Also, TMV pricing seems to be under invoice by about $600. Is it really feasible to expect to get a truck for that much under invoice? I always thought its good to shoot for invoice, maybe a few hundred over, but I've never seen any site recommend shooting for below invoice. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks, Aaron
  • chesterzchesterz Member Posts: 11
    I bought a 4Runner Limited V8 in April. Sticker went just over 40K. Dealer went with offer that was almost to the penny of Edmunds's TMV at that time with was 36K. I took the deal and am very satisfied with what I paid.

I just looked and Edmunds's TMV has not altered much, but Toyota is offering marketing assistance to dealers of $1000 on all 4Runners but the Limited. So I think you have the room to try for the extra 1k.
  • slitorslitor Member Posts: 29
    Always shoot for under invoice. I purchased my V8 Sports Edition for $1350 under invoice. True it did take some hard negotiations but the $1350 savings was worth it.

For an SR5 defiently DO NOT pay anything over invoice, if you do the dealer has won and around here we never let the dealer win. Toyota won't go as low as the domestic car makers. They don't need to. I believe they have a $1500 rebate right now.
    Thanks for the info guys. If, in fact, I can confirm the $1500 rebate on the new SR5, would it be safe to assume I could shoot for say $500 under invoice, plus another $1500 off that?

Around here in Tampa, with 5-6 Toyota dealers within 30 minutes and with all of the trucks sitting on the lot, I'm hoping this will make them more eager to negotiate.

Aaron
  • 4spoiler4spoiler Member Posts: 2
    I believe the $1500 rebate is only good for 4Runner not equipped with the Appearance Package.

As for the price, you should definitely shoot for below invoice. Go to kbb.com and check the invoice price with the options on the vechicle.
    Hello,

We are considering a 2003 4Runner, probably the base SR5 with leather. I have 2 questions I'm hoping the group can help with.

One, since we are nearing the end of the 2003 season, can anyone who's bought during this time in previous years comment on incentives given by Toyota and/or the dealer? I see a lot of companies are giving $1000 and up to $4000 I think from Ford. Will Toyota do something like this as we get closer to the 2004 models?

Also, TMV pricing seems to be under invoice by about $600. Is it really feasible to expect to get a truck for that much under invoice? I always thought its good to shoot for invoice, maybe a few hundred over, but I've never seen any site recommend shooting for below invoice. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks, Aaron
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    TMV pricing is based on what people are paying in your area. Those who do their research can beat TMV.

Dealers can make money even if they sell below invoice, thanks to manufacturer to dealer incentives, holdback, etc. So yeah, buying below invoice is entirely possible.

Browse around in here to see actual prices paid by other Town Hall members.

Steve, Host
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Toyota will never offer a $4000 rebate on a 4Runner...they don't need to. The only incentives they offer are for the ones with cladding.

The SR5 does not have a leather option...at least no Toyota dealer has one. You can get an aftermarket leather if you would like. Otherwise, you would need to buy the Limited model.

My experience was that $500 under invoice to invoice seems to be common on the ones with appearance packages. With cladding, you can get out the door for $2000 under invoice.

I personally paid $28,266 for an SR5 4x4 V8 with appearance package, roof rack, running boards, leather steering wheel, double-decker cargo system, and floor mats. They threw in flaps and it had pinstriping on it (who knows why...it was free anyways.) That was a great deal considering how picky we were.

I found the best method is to drive one...figure out exactly what you want, and then email a bunch of dealers stating:
    1) What you exactly are looking for
    2) You will buy if they find it and you can agree on a price

The dealer found 8 cars that matched, and I stated the price I would pay. He accepted my offer and I went to pick it up!

Good luck!
    Thanks for the info on the leather. We talked to the dealer who said they didn't have a leather SR5 but could get it put in. I guess they were talking about adding it themselves. I had no idea it wasn't a factory option.

The cladding thing - I've heard this mentioned. Is this the ones with the black plastic over the wheelwells? Those are going much cheaper? Is it that now Toyota offers colored fender flares and the black ones are not selling? Do I have that right?

Thanks, Aaron
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    You are quite right. The cladding is the dark gray trim around the bumpers and fenderwell...there has been much discussion about this as some people like it, some hate it. Once again, that's a personal choice. Toyota also discontinued the cladding as of spring production sometime.

I personally liked it with the matching trim much more and was willing to pay a bit more to get what I liked. Some people do hardcore offroading and like the cladding because it resists scratching and such. That's up to you to decide.

With the 2004's coming out, you can pick up a 2003 now or wait until the 2004's come out. If you're not too picky, wait until the '04s hit the lots and pick up an '03 even cheaper.

Many dealers will try to play hardball on the 4Runners with the appearance package. Don't let them beat you. Just walk. Someone will sell for a good price.
  • zeus258zeus258 Member Posts: 15
    This forum has given me an invaluable help.
    I'll go for the V8 Sport with X-REAS.
    Now, I'm trying to decide between an 03-04 4Runner and I'm sure your help guys will be helpful again.
    Is it true that 04 will offer third row seats?
    Could we expect a higher invoice price?
    When is it suppossed to be in the dealeships?
    I just came to this country and as you guys can imagine, I don't have credit history yet, so, they'll try to kill me with an awful APR. That's why I'll try to counteract those vipers with a nice downpayment, let's say 60% of the invoice price. Do you think I have a chance to get a decent APR in these conditions?
    Beep-beep-beep! The moving truck is here to take this discussion to our new What Did You Pay? board.

If you have subscribed to this discussion, the move should not interfere with your subscriptions.

Sorry for any confusion or inconvenience! Any questions can be emailed to me or Tidester.

Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • carsonsgirlcarsonsgirl Member Posts: 6
    If anyone has had the model previous to this new one, what changes (other than the obvious like the cosmetic changes), what are the feelings, good and bad, between the old and new 4Runners? Is the ride more car-ish?? Do you like the dash better in the new one as compared to the old one?? I've heard there's more room in this one.

I'm taking a look tonight after work at the new 4Runner.
  • basahebasahe Member Posts: 2
    Just got my 4Runner Limited:

V6,
    4x2,
    JBL Synthesis 6 cd, 10 speaker, remote wireless,
    side and curtain airbags,
    spoiler,
    daytime running lights,
    extra mile option B4.

MSRP: 36,952.00
    "Invoice": 33,792.50
    Price paid: 32,400.00 + TTL

The dealer also threw in three years of free oil changes. I'm pretty satisfied with the deal. Good sales experience mostly because I avoided the "goons" on the sales floor. I'm convinced the dealer still made money on the deal, but at least it's coming mostly from Toyota rather than me.
  • mac333mac333 Member Posts: 1
    MSRP was $33480. Purchased for $29700 (invoice). This is a white 4Runner with the sport appearance package (YU). Options included are DJ (JBL sound system), RF (rear spoiler), C7 (convenience package), WL (wheel locks), and WH (wireless headphones). Spotted this model on the internet, and called dealer to make offer. Salesman stated that this price was less then their cost. Be careful, the dealers internet invoice price was $600 more then the true invoice price. The salesman called me back 15 minutes after the first contact and accepted my offer. All in all a pretty painless buying experience. This is a great looking truck. I wanted to wait for the 04 models to arrive, but this was the exact vehicle that I have been waiting for and the only one in this region. Hope this helps someone with their buying experience.
  • moloconomolocono Member Posts: 16
    I'm planning on purchasing my new SUV in October. Can I expect an SR5's price to drop by then? If so, how much?
  • CinergiCinergi Member Posts: 1
    Have had my 4Runner 2 weeks and love it. Probably paid too much, though! Sales assured me they'd be able to get near MSRP when we started negotiating. MSRP $41,900 . . . paid $37,050. Discounted $3000 right off. Had to work hard to get the rest. It is well worth it though. I wanted one with X-REAS but the dealer couldn't find one. Purchased at Champion Toyota in Corpus Christi, Texas. Good experience overall.
  • lalo2lalo2 Member Posts: 4
    I drove both today, and, in a neighborhood and freeway test, could not discern the difference in power. I do not intend to tow. Remarks?

My other concern is that both window stickers list four options absent on the pricing Web site: P4, WD, M5, and FE. I jotted them down (without descriptions, unfortunately) thinking I could look at them here, but they are not listed. I know that one is a sunroof deflector and another is EXPENSIVE carpet mats. (I prefer rubber.)

Ideas or comments about the others?
  • backcastbackcast Member Posts: 1
    A local dealer has a 4 Runner Sport 4x4 v6 demo with 4500 miles on it. Asking price is 26,500. This seems to be about 3500 below invoice. Any rules of thumb for buying demos? Options include:

Running boards
    Moon Roof
    Double decker cargo self
    daytime running lights
    floor mats
    rear cargo mat
    rear spoiler
  • zeus258zeus258 Member Posts: 15
    I'm Looking for a V8 Sport too and spotted one on the web. Should I try to negociate $500-$1000 under invoice or does it sound nuts?

2003 Toyota 4runner 4X4 4DR SR5 SPORT V8
    Delivered Internet Price: $31,283
    Delivered Value Price: $31,622
    Factory Invoice: $31,083 MSRP: $34,480

Sport Appearance Package - YU :
    C7 Convenience Package
    CM Double Deck Cargo System
    DJ JBL Am/Fm/Cass/CD W/8 Speakers
    DK Owners Portfolio
    FE 50 State Emission Requirement
    KG Black Running Boards
    RF Rear Spoiler
    SP Sport Plus Package
    SR PWR Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    TR Transportation Charge
    WH Wireless Headphones
    WL Wheel Locks
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    Imagine how you probably drove the 'demo' vehicle. Now multiply that by ten people, etc. etc. I would stay away from demo's. They have not been broken-in correctly and could exhibit problems later. I am respectful when driving a demo, knowing that somebody will eventually buy it. But I have read and heard about people really trashing a vehicle on a 'test drive'. Especially be concerned about the brakes, they will more than likely squeek with all of the 'test' stops.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    Just my two cents: I drove the V6 and V8 back-to-back and couldn't really tell a difference. Posted my experiences and other pros and cons a while back in the main 4Runner discussion. Some folks report dramatic differences, and I can't explain that. However I did drive V6s and V8s at several dealers and some appeared to drive differently, including smoothness. It could be due to some "learning" on the part of these electronically-controlled transmissions. Could be phase of the moon.

As for the price to offer for a demo, I considered one or two demos and did some research and talked to the GM of one dealership. From these 2-3 sources it seemed to be reasonable to deduct about 50 cents/mile for this vehicle. That's one opinion to factor into the mix.
    I am on hold. Sticker price=$36,757
    Edmunds TMV=$32,847
    Their invoice=$33,204, including a realm of holdbacks, advertising fees, etc.
    Edmunds invoice=$32,092 but does not include $259.80 "port options."

I offered $32,600. The manager has countered with $200 less than their invoice ($3752 less than sticker).

Before all this, I tried the Edmunds e-mail price request, selecting four of the five dealerships listed. I had an immediate response that one of the four was not participating. Another responded with an invitation to visit the dealership (including a map). One responded "talk to you later" (two days ago). I have yet to hear from the fourth.

So, for other newbies here, the price request does not seem to work. The information that you carry with you, however, does seem to have an impact. It was obvious today that the salesmen and managers knew that I had done some homework.

I have not decided what to do, but I feel I have some leverage. There are many cars and dealerships!

Hope this helps somebody.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I tried to buy a 4Runner near Boston today. The dealer showed me his "invoice". The base price was several hundred higher than what Edmunds shows. In addition, the invoice showed a ~$500 charge labelled TDA? The dealer wanted $700 over his "invoice" -- about $36,900, which seemed high. Thus, about $1500 over what Edmunds shows as invoice.

Anyone know what TDA is? Just the dealer trying to pull a fast one?

I walked.
    I had the same experience yesterday. I walked.

The dealer showed me his invoice. It had a TDA of $345. He explained that this was (are you ready?) the Texas Dealers' Association fee. You were near Boston. Go figure! Are they paying the Texas Dealers' Association?

My advice is, keep walking. I have tried 5 times over the years to purchase a Toyota from this same dealership, and I have yet to buy one, although my family has bought two from other places "on the rebound." I guess enough people fall for the tactics to keep them in business.
  • hartthartt Member Posts: 79
    I was told that TDA is advertising. Toyota Dealers Advertising???
    The invoice I have has a TDA charge on it for $706.
    The charge is legit.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    Is there anyway we could tell Toyota that we won't watch their ads? Does it seem to you 2 out of 3 ads on tv are automobile related? Last chance, Biggest ever! Year End Blowout! When will the 'beat it till its dead' mentality cease? Next thing you know there will be a line item charge to pay for the insurance/coffee benefits of the salespeople.
  • dmcypresstxdmcypresstx Member Posts: 6
    nedzel,

I too have had a recent surprise when attempting to "deal" with a local Toyota Dealership.
    After doing a significant amount of homework online (Well know Consumer Magazine, Edmunds and Kbb reports), I approached several dealerships in the Houston area for quotes, hoping to land something in the vicinity of "Invoice". Imagine my surprise when I found that the three reports above had an "Invoice" price some $1600 less than what Toyota Dealers consider their "Invoice". What I got from Toyota Dealers in the Houston area is the following "Invoice" adders:
    1.) Dealer Holdback - $585 (expected)
    2.) Port Install Holdback - $85 (varies with Port Install adders, but I insisted on Leather only for SR5)
    3.) Advertising Fund + TDA + Dealer Reserve - $985

I haven't been exposed to such ancillary adders in the past, and did not know how negotiable they were.
    Apparently not too negotiable per my experience.
    T for Toyota, T for Tennessee, T for Thelma, but not T for Texas Dealer (with a tip of the cowboy hat to Jimmie Rodgers).

It's an ad fee, and ad fees are mostly legit. Isn't TDA listed on the invoice?

As always, concentrate on your out-the-door price and let the dealer worry about how your money gets allocated.

Lalo2, I don't know why some option packs don't show up here. Toyota offers both factory and dealer installed options and it's too hard to keep track of the dealer installed stuff I guess.

Steve, Host
    Steve,

I didn't see the actual invoice from the dealer, so don't know if TDA was actually listed on it.
    The breakdown the dealer communicated to me for "Invoice" included (in addition to the holdbacks) the following adders above the online services "Invoice" pricing:

TDA - $250
    Advertising Fund - $405
    Finance Reserve - $293

Not sure I understand why Toyota has an Advertising Fund allocation of $405, if TDA is also an advertising fee.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    There is lots of info in the 4Runner forums on this topic. Search the main 4Runner discussion and probably the "What did you pay?" discussion. Summary points:

TDA is Toyota Dealer's Assoc. or similar, and is a charge from the assoc. to each dealer in a region for pooled advertising. Like it or not, this is what funds all those annoying TV ads and some newspaper ads, and the dealers can't opt out. It's generally viewed as legit, but it does cover an ordinary cost of doing business, and so one could argue that it doesn't belong (partially or in total) in calculations of invoice price.

The dealer shouldn't be charging YOU holdback. That's just money that the dealer gets back from the factory on a periodic basis. It's part of the dealer's profit, and should be SUBTRACTED from invoice to help arrive at the true dealer cost.

The same goes for financial reserve, as far as I can tell.

In the end, Steve_Host has it right, in my opinion. Focus on out-the-door price and let dealers compete to get you the best price. Lengthy debate about what the REAL dealer cost is can be a waste of time. If you must deal on the basis of invoice price, I'd say that you should start with the Edmunds listed invoice price of the base vehicle and options (which include port-installed options), and then add in TDA. After that it's up to you if you want to pay for other dealer-installed stuff like paint protection, etc.
  • maxlessmaxless Member Posts: 9
    Minneapolis area prices. Includes cargo system, running lights, luggage rack, spoiler, sunroof, accessory pkg, 17" alloy wheels. List 32,911. Invoice 29,229. Auto Broker bid through our Credit Union @ 29,660 plus will allow for $1000 rebate for 28,660. Internet bid from dealer @ 29,007. Will the dealer go for an offer @ 28,300???
  • hartthartt Member Posts: 79
    I have been trying for weeks to lease a new 4Runner. We finally agreed on a selling price but when it came time to calculating the lease, they would not use the base MF and residual that Toyota publishes each month.
    Whenever I tell them that I know what the base MF and residual are, they tell me that they are just going by what came up on their leaselink computer. Is this just an excuse to pad their profit? How can I get a dealership to use the base MF and residual when calculating a lease for me?
    Thanks for the input.
  • barbed_warbarbed_war Member Posts: 5
    First time poster but have been watching for awhile. I too live in Houston and considering a new '04 runner. What dealerships have you contacted and which one would you recommend.
  • snigglesniggle Member Posts: 3
    White with stone interior, loaded (NAV, moonroof, air suspension, etc). Paid $38410 after dealer stuck me with the shipping charge, or invoice price.

I'm pleased, or more correctly the wife is, and the car looks great.
    Barbed_War,

I have contacted Joe Myers Toyota (290), Fred Haas Toyota Country (249), Fred Haas Toyota World (I45N) and Gullo Toyota (Conroe).
    IMO out of the lot of them, Joe Myers Toyota has been the most informative and open during discussions, followed by Fred Haas Toyota Country.

Let me know how your experience goes.
  • barbed_warbarbed_war Member Posts: 5
    dmcypresstx

Thanks for the reply. I have been in contact with Haas (I-45N) and Gullo in Conroe. Gullo Salesman was by far the most knowledgeable. I have not discussed price, as I want to order. Reason being is to avoid all the Gulf States added stuff. Sun Roof, spoiler, mop and glo ETC.... I plan to contact Sterling McCall and several others via internet department.
  • qualitymanqualityman Member Posts: 15
    I got a V8 "almost a limited" for $30,400; 3 weeks ago in Jasper, Indiana at Ubelhor & Sons Toyota. Has sunroof, double-deck storage, front bumper appearance trim, etc..

After searching several dealers in the Evansville-Owensboro-Louisville area this was by far the best deal.
  • hannerhanhannerhan Member Posts: 18
    I just bought from Toyota of Fort Worth, and got a 2003 SR5 4WD (AP package) with only a few options, that I actually wanted. Didn't get spoiler, sunroof, JBL. Basically leather was the only significant add on.

MSRP was about $32,500 and I paid $28,700. Good buying experience.
    I had a question about the Toyota College Graduate Program. I'm planning on buying a '03 4Runner. Do you have to finance the vehicle through the dealer in order to get the $400 rebate? Is it possible to refinance through my bank once I purchase the 4Runner?
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    Location: Parkway Toyota, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (Greater NY Metro Area)

MODEL: 2003 4Runner V8 LTD fully loaded with NAVIGATION

PRICE PAID: $39,576

EXPERIENCE: The whole haggling process took less than 20 minutes. I was armed with info from Edmunds.com and some competitors lowest prices that I obtained via email. Parkway Toyota was able to match that price with no problem. It was a nice experience overall.

Time Purchased: Aug, 2003
    The College Graduate rebate is currently $1000.00. It only applies if you finance the car through Toyota Motor Financing.
    I looked on the Toyota Financial Services page and it says the rebate is $400. Where did you see that it was $1000? Do you happen to know what kind of interest rates Toyota is offering?
    On my recent purchase, I was given the $1000 rebate. I realize this isn't mentioned on the website. Perhaps this is a special offer that is currently available. You might want to check with your local dealers.

Interest rates are in the neighborhood of 5.5% (depending on your insurance rating). I was told by the dealer if your credit score is 730 or higher, you would qualify for the lowest rating, which I believe is about 4.99%. Depending on the life of the loan, this difference is significant.
    Sorry, for my last post, I meant to say "CREDIT RATING" not Insurance Rating.
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve, Host
  • snigglesniggle Member Posts: 3
    If your credit is good, you should be able to get below 4% on your loan. Push the salesman and finance guy for the best rate if financing through them.

As I said, I walked into the dealer with a 3.84% rate from Etrade, and they beat it with a 3.7% rate. It's not 0%, but every little bit helps.
    ________

2003 4Runner LTD, White/Stone loaded
    If I get pre-approved for a loan from more than one bank, will that affect my credit score?
    As far as my understanding goes, every time your credit report is checked by a bank or other agency (such as a car dealer), your score could be lowered by 5pts. However, that is a small change and not likely to make or break you. I would recomment LendingTree.com and other such internet based lending services for the sake of saving time and convenience. You can also shop for insurance over the internet as well. :)

Happy Shopping...I love my 4RUNNER! I've had it less than a week and I have 350 miles on it.