Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

RECENT FORD F-150 SUPERCAB BUYERS

dbn7dbn7 Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Ford
Advice needed pls. : I'm looking at purchasing a
99 F-150 supercab 4X4. I'm located in the N.E and
have been to dlrs in NH and MA...what I'm finding
in stock is 2-3 F-150xl's 5spd, 4-6 F-250xlt
supercabs autos and 10-20 F-150xlt supercabs loaded
to the hilt (which I would really like to
purchase...but with a msrp of 28,500 to 31,000
ouch!!) Question: to me the dlrs seemed overstocked
w/these models and I'm wondering what would be a
fair price and what luck people are having
w/negotiating a "deal". Thxs in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    dbn7dbn7 Member Posts: 13
    Barlitz thanks for the info!!!
  • Options
    denisddenisd Member Posts: 11
    we bought a F150 xlt 4x4 5.4l (no o/r package, tow, cd, remote entry), pretty much a basic xlt. We did a lot of research on-line to come up with invoice prices for whichever truck we happened to be looking at over the last months. Pick a truck you like and write down all the options etc. Then go home and look at edmunds/carpoint/etc and calculate the invoice price. You should be able to get a 99 for max $150 over invoice as we did. Bring in all your research and printouts when your ready to negotiate and you can cut through the typical dealership you-know-what and make your deal. We found that when they see how prepared you are, they don't waste any time. If they won't deal at or near invoice, leave and find another dealer who will!
  • Options
    ti1ti1 Member Posts: 1
    We live in Tampa, and just bought a f-150 xlt, 4x2. We bought it at Heritage Ford in Zephyrhills, and paid only 100.00 over the invoice to cover the commission of the salesman. They were very professional,and easy to deal with. Believe it or not our salesman's name was Glenn Campbell. He was as easy to deal with as anyone we ever had to deal with. I would strongly recommend this dealership and seeing how I hate salesman, as bad as lawyers, You can can count on this being true.
  • Options
    optymanoptyman Member Posts: 1
    How about purchasing a new car or truck for $50.00 over invoice on most makes and models.....with NO haggling. This can be done through the Summit Auto Club, underwritten by Allstate Insurance. Vist WWW.GEOCITIES.COM\MOTORCITY\5327 a simple and straightforward web site which explains it all. I am an independent distributor, and you can E-mail me from there. The cost of this plan is around $45.00 for a full year, with unlimited vehicle purchases for your whole family. Other perks are included. I know, because I am a member myself, and recently bought a 'brand new 99 Dodge Caravan for $50.00 over invoice, and it even came from another dealer's lot.
  • Options
    lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    That sounds like a pretty good tip. And you might even get to that site if you replace the \ in the above URL with /
  • Options
    rcleaverrcleaver Member Posts: 1
    I'd never pay up front to get a discount on a car. It's probably a scam. You have been warned.
  • Options
    scojordanscojordan Member Posts: 3
    I researched various pickups on line. I've decided I want the F-150, Lariat. Just for grins, I lik\nked to Autobytel, from this web site. Sure enough, within 24 hours I had a local dealership call me and offer me (get this) any truck on the lot OR any truck I order from the factory AT DEALER'S INVOICE! I'm thinking, I have to be missing something. Only problem is, I haven;t thought of what that something might be. I'm going back today for another test drive. I feel a little gulty because at the outset of this, I told myself I would test drive the Dogde 1500 and the Toyota Tundra. I haven't done that and I'm gong back for my second test drive of the Lariat.

Their "internet salesman" is also their fleet truck salesman. He's not in the showroom area, but back on another lot. He told me they don't want "non-internet" buyers (read: suckers) catching on.
  • Options
    catahoulacatahoula Member Posts: 1
    Can you give me a phone number for this autobytel person? The one in my area wants invoice plus a grand.
  • Options
    walsh3walsh3 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a F-150 XLT or Lariat supercab and I am trying to decide between 4X2 and 4X4. i drove both last weekend and was struck by how stiff and unresponsive the 4X4 was compared to the 4X2. Also, the braking seemed much slower. Is this always the case, or did I get a bad 4X4?

Thanks for any feedback.
  • Options
    wking2wking2 Member Posts: 9
    Hello, I have driven my F150 for the past 9 years, and have been very satisfied with the reliability of the 4.9 liter V6. My plan is to purchase a new F150 XLT 4x4 4.6 liter this fall, but I am torn between which V8 to get. Fuel economy is a big factor in my decision. Can anyone offer advise. My only complaint about the old 4.9 liter is that it is underpowered, how does the new 4.6 compare?
  • Options
    f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    I once owned a 1989 4x4 150 custom with the I6. And as I recall I had no motor problems and I also recall it was underpowered and got terrible gas mil. Since, I have owned a 5.8(351w),4.6triton, and currently a 5.4triton. All in 150 4x4,s. The 4.6 is definately an improvement over the 4.9. However, the 5.4 is that much better than the 4.6. And I really do not think the gas mil. is much different. There all pigs. But at least they can run on regular unleaded gas!

Get the 5.4
  • Options
    1greg1greg Member Posts: 40
    What kind of mileage are people getting with the 5.4L engine in a supercab 4x4?
  • Options
    chevy10chevy10 Member Posts: 17
    Why would you buy a ford? Chevys faster, stronger, and lasts a ton longer. Its really sad when Vortechs V8 has more horsepower then tritons V10. Thats some real good engineering let me tell you. maybe all you guys should stop and think about what you bought. you dropped 33K on a pile with wheels. Hey its not that tough to redesign a truck when you copy someone else (DODGE). You arent so sure anymore are you???
  • Options
    Yea, you know what they say about guys that have to own big bad trucks... There's an inverse proportion involved. You may have to ask someone to interpret that.
  • Options
    Sure am glad this ignorance is representing GM and not Ford.
  • Options
    1greg1greg Member Posts: 40
    I actually haven't purchased any of them yet. I am making an informed choice, something I doubt you are smart enough to do. The Chevy/GMC's offer some good things but I have seen enough postings of problems on the new model that I am a litle leary of the GM products. I have seen far less posting problems with the Fords. And of course Ford, Dodge, and Tundra ALL have a 4th door. Something that GM wasn't smart enough to engineer in to their trucks. As far as lasting longer, I doubt that. I have seen Fords and Chevys used in a similar manner and the Ford outlasted the Chevy. Now the Chevy did beat out the Dodge, but it was one of those high quality 70's Dodges. For longevity, my money is still on Toyota and Nissan, but the gap is closing.

Greg Hoppes
  • Options
    mdnortmdnort Member Posts: 1
    1. Has anyone had a symptom of a mild rattle at low speed coming from just behind the driver's left ear. My 99 4x4 supercab has just such a rattle. It is just barely audible on rough roads with the radio turned off. 2. Has anyone had an instance where they may have received the wrong rear-end. I specifically ordered a standard 3:53 rear-end. About a month after I bought the truck it developed a horrific shudder. I took it back to the dealership and they told me that it had a limited slip (despite the invoice showing different), the the part number on the tag was for a standard and that the clutches had been assembled in the wrong order and that that Dana corp (the manufacturer or rear-ends for Dodge and ford) had put standard differential fluid in, instead of the high viscosity fluid.
  • Options
    metro_petrometro_petro Member Posts: 1
    I wish to warn anyone who wants to buy a F-150. DO NOT GET THE V6 ENGINE! It is a gutless wonder. The truck relies far too much on downshifting to have any appreciable acceleration. In one instance, with light headwinds, on a straight highway, with the air conditioning on, and at about 65 mph, my truck continually shifted between 3rd and 4th gear. The "six" requires you to press on the gas more that an "eight" would, thereby giving you worse gas milage than an "eight." They state in the PD sheets that this engine produces 200 hp. I don't think so! My old Toyota Pickup with a "four" under the same conditions could blow this thing away.
    Futhermore, this "six" is a LOUD engine, especially at startup. With the windows down, you can hear the valve train tapping away (ON 1999 TECHNOLOGY? WHAT GIVES??). If you "lay into it" the engine sounds like it will shake itself to death! Starting the engine feels like they are using plastic components.
    Engineering messed up on the 4.2 V6!
    Other than a poor power train, this is a very smooth truck, solid with great road manners. Brakes are good w/ the ABS. Air conditioning is good'n cold when needed. Even the stereo is good, still wish they would put an aux input for the addition of a cd player!
  • Options
    jeffthrojeffthro Member Posts: 35
    Ford needs to catch-up to Chevy in miles per gallon and horsepower. It reminds me of how Dodge always was trying to catch up to Ford and Chevy. Now Ford needs help.
  • Options
    Just got a price quote from a local dealer on ordering a year 2000 F150 4x4, Supercab, SB, 4.6, XLT package w/ sliding rear. $22,862 - That ain't bad!!!!!

We haven't even discussed trade in...
  • Options
    I've got the same engine and the same truck, but I don't have any of those problems. I've had the vehicle up to 100MPH, I've towed a couple of tons with no problem, MPG is 16 for local traffic and up to 21 on the highway (just like the sticker said it would be), and it's just a quiet as my wife's Camry. In fact, her Toyota seems to be a little more noisy for local driving. I've got 18,000 miles on the F150 now. At what mileage can I expect to start getting all of the headaches you seem to be having?
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    did it ever occur to you that a v-6 engine might have to work harder to sustain highway speeds than would a V-8? Heck, my 5.9 v-8 Ram shifts like you described at those speeds also. Gutless wonder? It's a 4000 lb vehicle, dude. Go check some of the 0-60 times for "sports cars" from the 50's. Your gutless wonder will outrun a lot of them.

Sure, They LIED to us about it having 200 hp. Yeah.

And of course your 130 hp 4 cyl toyota would blow this thing away. With the optional solid rocket booster motors, that is. My fourrunner with that engine was lucky if it could HIT 65mph before I reached my exit turnoff.
  • Options
    Actually, it's 205HP. But as has been pointed out many times in these conferences, one hardly ever runs an engine fast enough to develop maximum HP, which in this case is 4400 rpm. You have to get into low gear and run at high revs to develop that power, and the same is true of the 4.6L V8, except with that it's even a higher rpm, 4500. The 4.6L V8, by the way, has only 15HP more (7.32 percent) than this "gutless wonder" V6 which metro_petro is complaining about. I test-drove F150s with the 4.2L V6 and with the 4.6L V8 before I bought, and since I wasn't able to perceive much difference between them, I got the V6. Others are obviously a lot more sensitive to the difference, and that must be the reason the 4.6L is so popular. I don't have a problem with that, but I think it's technically inaccurate to infer that the 4.2L is a woefully inadequate power plant for the F150. I think it's pretty potent, and I've often wondered, in fact, why Ford hasn't abandoned all of their other V6 engines, such as those used in the Ranger, Explorer, etc. and replace each with this remarkably high quality, powerful, and efficient 4.2L V6. If it isn't more powerful than every other V6 available today in the automotive world, it must rank pretty close to the top.
  • Options
    karentsenkarentsen Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a new F150 Saturday 8/7/99. The dealer told me 6-8 weeks. Is there anyway to get the VIN number so I can track when it will actually arrive? Is there anything else I can do to check the status? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Is anyone getting their trucks undercoated or rustproofed any more, or is this a thing of the past? I believe that Ford no longer recommends this procedure.
  • Options
    denisddenisd Member Posts: 11
    have been watching the mileage on our 99 xlt / sc / 4x4 / sb / 5.4 / auto since it was new in early June. So far it has been steady at 15.4 - 16 mpg. Lots of city and highway driving, and I don't drive slow - not stepping on it hard, but moving with the fastest 20-25% of traffic. So far with 3,500 miles it's been nothing but of a joy!
  • Options
    I think the car & truck buyers of the world have gotten wise to that scam and most no longer do it. I also believe it was always a waste of money, especially if done after the vehicle had already been driven on wet roads so that the undercoating material actually sealed in moisture and accelerated body rot. But even recalling the new cars that I had purchased a few decades ago that came with "factory" undercoating, none were never immune to rust. If Ford recommends not doing it, I'd listen to them.
  • Options
    tanker3tanker3 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get that good price at. I live in NC and I'm trying to find a good deal but I have to trade in my 98 ranger which isn't worth too much. I'm also looking for a 4x4 ext.cab. can anyone help
  • Options
    gaspereauxgaspereaux Member Posts: 3
    I am considering unloading my Hyundai wagon and getting a truck with ext. cab that I can use to lug a slide on camper around. I presume that I need a truck that has at least a 2500 lb payload capability (please correct me if I'm wrong on this) and I am fond not necessarily enamoured with vehicles produced by Ford.

Can anyone advise me on what make and model I should get and with what options. I am really a novice when it comes to trucks so any advise you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Richard Murray
    Randolph, MA
  • Options
    Anyone purchasing a 2000 F150 may want to wait. From what I understand the 300HP 5.4 currently available in the Lincoln Navigator will be offered in the F150. WOW!
  • Options
    renfingerrenfinger Member Posts: 3
    I own a 97 supercab F150 with 35,000 miles and have had the leaf springs replaced three times due to seperation and alot of noise. Has anyone else experienced this? The local dealer says it must just be my truck but they can't explain why it continues to happen Any help?
  • Options
    Davies Ford in Connellsville, PA. I submitted, through Autobytel, that I was looking for this truck in a 5 speed and was only interested in talking to dealers would would deal at 100.00 over invoice. Haven't ordered yet 'cause I'm trying to sell my truck, but hopefully by the end of the week...
  • Options
    Leaf-spring failure used to be a fairly common problem a few decades ago, and invariably the cause was bad shocks. In those days, the shock absorbers were worn out after 15-to-20 thousand miles and many didn't have the common sense to realize it. But it seems to me the shocks made today are many times better and longer lasting; nonetheless, it's something you may want to look into. On the other hand, I'd be pretty surprised if a Ford dealer's mechanic wouldn't have checked that as the first possibility.
  • Options
    Thanks . I talked to Ford engineering today and they're looking into assisting me in getting a new truck. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    Wow! That's great. 35,000 miles and you might get a new truck? I think you'll be a pretty lucky guy if that happens. I do, indeed, wish you luck.
  • Options
    meeshee7meeshee7 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me the difference between the styleside & flareside? SB & LB models? We're set on buying a F150/Lariat/4x4 and are pretty confident we can buy a 99 for invoice price. Has anyone heard of buying a 2000 at this point in time also for invoice price?
  • Options
    I am ordering a 2000 XLT/4x4/SC/SB with 4.6L/5 spd/sliding rear. The invoice is $22,762 and that is what I am paying, plus some extras at invoice also. Edmunds pricing appears to be a bit high. The individual that I am dealing with said that the price increase from 1999-2000 is only about $100.00, so factor that into your equation.. Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    fixitfixit Member Posts: 1
    Hi, ya'll (from Texas).

I own a 98 F150 XL with 4.2 v-6, 5 spd. and 3.55 axle, only 6000 miles. Like metro_petro, my V-6 is LOUD; it sounds like a UPS truck at idle. Some of this seems to be trans noise (these have a PLASTIC throwout bearing!), some exhaust noise. I've noticed that some v-6's are louder than others, would like to know why - any TSB's on this ? I have heard none that are really quiet.

Interestingly, I'm 99% sure this engine is a bored and/or stroked version of the 3.8 v-6 still in Mustang. It is not OHC as I originally thought (much simpler!). Should last a while.

I find this engine to have ample power and and tons of low end torque. Too bad Ford wastes the torque - they stuck in the 3.55's AND granny geared the tranny - in mine the best shift for 1-2 is about 12 mph (terrible in traffic), and I estimate the OTGR in 5th at 2.9-3.0, so high revs. I would advise anyone buying a manual to order the 3.08 axle.

A friend's supercab with V-6, 3.55 axle and automatic is perfectly matched to this engine's low end - smooth and fairly quiet, early unobtrusive shifts.

My question - I'm getting horrible mileage - best tank of mixed driving is under 14 mpg, speeds under 70. Town only is 10-12 mpg. I'm hearing 16-22 with auto from friends. The dealer wants to run some tests .... has anyone else had this problem ?

Very nice truck overall, GREAT a/c ! Any responses appreciated.
  • Options
    It looks as if a new truck is in the works. the dealer has been talking to Ford trying to get some monetary assistance from them. Still not sure exactly how that will work. Engineering seems to think the mounting brackets somehow aren't parallel creating torque on the springs during turns. Who knows? They say they should know something within 10 days. We'll see. thanks for your help.
  • Options
    truckfantruckfan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 f150 4x2 sc lwb (18,500 mi)that vibrates/shudders at various speeds, some repeatably (40-44 mph) tires have been balanced ,runout etc. rear axle components were replaced at about 12k miles - problem went away but returned within 500 mi. Ford is putting a vib dampener kit on the muffler - I suspect the traction-loc system
  • Options
    andre69andre69 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in a new F150 what do all of you think of them? are they good trucks or what? Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Zero
  • Options
    irinairina Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 1998 F150 supercab XL (with nice trim package) on April 30, 1998 from Covert Ford in Austin, TX. The invoice price was $18,600 and I bought it for $18,300! It was a V6 which I regret. I've since sold it because of gas mileage. If I had known of the poor gas mileage of the V6, I would have known why they were giving me a $500 discount for the V6. Other than the gas, I loved the truck! It was great. The best I ever got (and I'm a granny driver) was 13 in town and 18.75 on the highway at 60mph on cruise, no ac, and tailgate down! Window said 16/21mpg.
  • Options
    wwwinowwwino Member Posts: 1
    first time I looked here. Some good info. I drive a 98 4x2 extended cab with a long bed. Like it alot except for the bounce on the poured sections of the freeway. Can't even talk while driving. My lease is coming due and I need to trade. How do the 99/00 ride. I like Fords for years but may have to look at others if they haven't fixed that. Thanks for any comments.
  • Options
    mosuramosura Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought the late year '99 F-150 with the 5.4 v8. It has the best torque and HP application of all 1/2 pickups. I test drove the new (late model '99) Dodge RAM and Chevy Silverado before buying the Ford. No comparison with the Dodge, the Chevy came close, but I still didn't like the "new and improved" brakes.
  • Options
    jklengrjklengr Member Posts: 2
    What's anyone's opinion of the 4.6L V8 performance vs 5.4L in the Lariat? I'm going to buy a Lariat, but not interested in any heavy duty towing. I want best gas mileage possible with decent performance.
  • Options
    jklengrjklengr Member Posts: 2
    What's anyone's opinion of the 4.6L V8 performance
    vs 5.4L in the Lariat? I'm going to buy a Lariat,
    but not interested in any heavy duty towing. I
    want best gas mileage possible with decent
    performance.
  • Options
    delcamdelcam Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

I am looking at a 2000 2WD XLT Super Cab Short Bed. The configuration I am thinking of is the V6, 5 Speed Manual. Any Thoughts?? I am also thinking of the limited Slip rear end, comments? Does anyone have any comments about the factory Tonneau covers?

Thanks in advance

Steve Erie, PA
  • Options
    irinairina Member Posts: 2
    DON'T buy the V6! whatever you do. I don't care what the window says, you will get about the same mileage as with the 4.6 V8. Also, DON'T get the Ford Manual tranny! It is very very weak!

My suggestion: Sacrifice the expensive XLT format (even if you have to give up power windows), and get a nicely equipped XL supercab with auto tranny, small V8, cruise, upgraded split seats, tilt, chrome wheels, OWL tires, etc. You will hardly know it doesn't say XLT on the side, and with the money you save, you can pay for the V8 and auto tranny. Also, try to get one (order it if you have to) with the high rear end ratio (unless you are going to be pulling something heavy often). The auto trans on the Ford is VERY heavy duty (if you don't believe me, compare the towing specs between the auto and manual!)

With the V6, you will get 12-13 in town and 17.5-18.5 on highway, I promise you. For that, I'll take the same mileage with a V8 ANYDAY.
  • Options
    delcamdelcam Member Posts: 9
    Irina,

Thanks for the advise, I was thinking close to the same thing. When you say higher rear end ratio, you mean the 3.55 right? Any opinion on the limited slip rear end?

There is a real cost to that V8 and Auto, about $2500, just a hard pill to swallow. I don't haul much, some lumber here and there, and camping a half dozen times a year.

Thanks again

Steve
  • Options
    abretonabreton Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 1999 XLT S.Cab Flareside Sport 2 wheel drive 4.6L Auto, what a great truck, a definite head turner. It's in the clearcoat red.

Can't go wrong buying A FORD
This discussion has been closed.