Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• twocycle2twocycle2 Member Posts: 55
    Farout,

I too enjoyed your response, and I can appreciate your frustration. I had a diesel Chevy pickup a few yrs ago with chronic A/C and 4wd problems....since I have to drive about 50 miles a day for work, having a vehicle in the shop all the time was very frustrating, so I understand your position. I must note, though, that I never had a single problem with the engine or trans in that truck, so problem free diesels do exist....most Powerstroke guys and nearly all Cummins guys would agree with that. For us, most of us have problems with the "adaptations" the DCX had to do to sell the CRD here, and obviously their testing wasn't thorough enough. I have been fortunate, though, that with 16k miles, I am still problem free. To be fair, though, some of the issues (like the horrible wind leaks around the doors), I have just ignored b/c I don't have time to go to the dealer....no $30k car should be this loud, but I've tolerated it. My parents have driven Chrysler products for nearly 25 yrs, and except with window problems on their 300M, found the cars to be incredibly reliable and trouble free. We drove all over the country in a Chrysler minivan, and it never let us down. It really seems that the dealership makes all the difference....DCX doesn't care, nor do most manufacturers....if the dealership values you as a customer, some will bend the rules to make you happy....if it was left up to DCX, we'd all be screwed. As for me, I love my CRD, but I'd be hesitant to buy a Grd Cherokee CRD b/c of the cost...it's hard enough to get to a break even point on our Libertys....imagine how long it could take on a $40k vehicle. If anybody buys one or drives one, please post....I'd like to know what you think.

Hang in there Farout, and enjoy the Green Beast while you've got it...Your efforts and research have been a great resource for many of us over the past months, and I think we've all appreciated the info and the humor!!!

Twocycle2
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    twocycle2: After getting the "official word" my dealer informed me today that DCX is asking for service history on many warranty repairs. As he stated the 7 year 70,000 mile warranty was costing DCX too much. This service history will save money for DCX. That's when I called Customer Care and asked why the same requirements that are used for the Liberty gas 4x4 are not the same for the CRD 4x4. The answer.......we don't know, ask your dealer! After hearing that was what my dealer said, I was struck with such kindness by the rep I thought for sure I was going to pass out with shock! I was told someone would call me back shortly. Someone really did call me back!!!! I was told that in talking with the two DCX dealers that have done service on our "Green Beast" there seemed to be reason to make some consideration for our history of problems. I was asked If I wanted to file a lemon law claim? I told them no as I had not been without our "Green Beast" 30 days and doubted we could as one year had passed. The two dealers are faxing the repair records and I am to get a call tommrow. with what DCX thinks they can do. I am rather amazed, and doubtful about any real assistance, but we are anxious to see what they have to say.

After my wife did CPR on me for a while I finally saw this was no dream. So we shall see.

farout
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    Farout,

Your two wildly funny posts and the clever follow-ups by Steve and Tidester are as funny as it gets – almost therapeutic, in a way. The CRD may have problems, but the forum is alive and well.

Thanks, still laughing, :)
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Siberia,
    A snake without it's venom remains a snake ;)

The forum should not only be used to collect venom. Like a snake, it could become constricting (understand suffocating) for those who expect a little bit of understanding to carry on beyond the financial threat and monopolistic position of certain dealerships; I'm thinking about Farout and those who cannot throw money out by the window.

By reading this forum I can perceive that DC is now imposing NA their same mercantilist attitude we've faced here during many years. The CRD is a bit more sophisticated, but not enough to accept every sacrifice.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    A snake without it's venom remains a snake

Tell me it's cabin fever and we're all in need of some fresh air and sunshine! :)

tidester, host
    Tidester,
    Please have a look at 'our' recent CRD history:

- My posts 515 and 5500 were perhaps interpretated as being premature, but unfortunately describe post 8683 written by Farout :(

I have the "chance" of being a north american who returned to his ancestor's land as a young adult. I once paid coffee 5 cents a cup and now it's 1.5 Euro the half cup :sick:

It may not be trivial to appreciate the quality of the 'knowledge' we exchanged on this forum, plus numerous private mail exchanges initiated here.

This is simply human :blush:
    If you complain and get rid of your own venom, you are momentarily psychologically weakened and your predators will feast. Stick to the discussion and you can foresee what the man with the gold tooth will try to do you :P
  • dsietadsieta Member Posts: 7
    Hello CRD owners. I have scheduled the F37 three times and backed out with cold feet every time. My 05 CRD has 28K trouble free mostly highway miles and I get a rough average of 27 mpg. The dealer I talked to said they would look at the vehicle to see if it needed the recall. That doesn't sound quite right to me. This thing hasn't seen a dealer since 1000 miles when the dealer we purchased from put 8 quarts of oil in it! This a different and higher volume dealer so hopefully (but not necessarily) will do better.
    What I would like to ask of folks on this forum is, what if I don't do the F37? What does that do to the warranty. Is there a time limit on the recall? Any advice is appreciated :confuse: ?
    It may not be trivial to appreciate the quality of the 'knowledge' we exchanged on this forum ...

Indeed! :)

tidester, host
    Today DCX Customer Care called (they really did call!) and because of the numerious repairs they had given this to a higher up person who would be calling me within a week. I was told to think about what I wanted to resolve this. The choices included buy back, some kind of credit toward another Jeep model, or repair with some sort of adjustment. They wanted to know if I wanted to file a Lemon Law.
    So I just want to see what DCX will offer and then I will have a better idea where this will go. I sure don't want a HEMI or a gas eaten pig of any kind. So I think there are limited choices if I was to replace it.
    I am amazed that DCX has really taken this situation serious, and I have made no threats of any kind. Time will tell.

farout
    Farout,
    Last night on french tv (TF1) there was an announcement saying Daimler would separate (divorce) from Chrysler. Push hard to have your truck repaired before they do, or you may feel 'laid off'!
    Apparently DC would be loosing money with Chrysler; it's funny, why did I mention "their mercantilist attitude" yesterday :confuse:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_33/b3947016_mz001.htm
  • hamchamphamchamp Member Posts: 33
    18 DAYS OUT AND NO PARTS. THIS IS THE 5 TIME IN THE SHOP SINCE OCTOBER, 2006. OUR CRD JEEP, 2005 IS 1-1/2 YEAR OLD, WITH 22k MILES. HOW DID YOU CONTACT DCX CUSTOMER CARE. LOOKS LIKE I MAY HAVE TO DO THAT IN THE FUTURE. THIS TIME THE CAR HAD TO BE TOWED. I HAD THE RECALL DONE AND IT LASTED 18 DAYS. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. HAMCHAMP IN NC
    caribou1: From my point of view Chrysler was far better off before Daimler took over. I doubt so many workers would be facing job a loss had it been just Chrysler. In 1979 when Chrysler had to file bankruptcy the US government stepped in and helped so they could stay afloat. Chrysler paid back the loans years ahead of schedule.
    DCX has made these flat faced front ends, that actually have a huge drag on air flow, costing more in fuel. Them if there is any way to cram in a HEMI into a vehicle DCX does it. Where is the thinking on this? Maybe Dr. Z can afford to drive a gas sucking hog, but most Americans live payday to payday. This says nothing about what we are doing to protect our earth.
    Today I talked with a customer care rep. and they asked if we wanted a buy back? I said I felt we needed to know what options we have first. But they want to know which way to go. We would rather have everything fixed right! That and not having to go in every 2,000 miles for them to fix stuff. So the rep said to say buyback, and we have the option to have it fixed.
    Here the news about DCX was on all the TV stations, and on the net, and papers as well. However DCX stock went up about $3.50 USD. So some see the split as good, I do at least.
    If a Liberty sells here, for say, 28,000, USD, how much would that be in USD in France? Do you have rebates there as well? How long can you finance vehicles for in France? I am just wondering.

Farout
    Farout,
    Here the Liberty CRD sells for 33,500 Euros. In USD this comes to ~42,000USD! Insurance is 1,200 Euros for those who have no penalty, no bonus. License you buy once for the life of the vehicle ~500 Euros. People usually pay 400 Euros per month without insurance for leasing the CRD. I've never calculated this way, it's just too expensive.
    But the expensive fraction of the running costs is the cost of fuel and consumables. When you're a Mc-Guyver for the rest, it's ok :shades:
  • budsjpbudsjp Member Posts: 25
    This site can use some good news: Just traveled from Flat Rock, NC to Beaufort, SC and again, today, from Beaufort to Charleston and return and got between 28.8 and 29.5 mpg on all legs. Turned 21k on the odometer during the first leg. This is by far the best mileage I've gotten, prior was ~26 mpg. Speeds overall from 30-70 mph, with some city driving. Only thing done to the truck is the replacement of the wiring harness, previously related, at about 13k. Haven't used any additives, etc. Have stayed with BP diesel and bought it today in Charleston for $2.25/gal! Maybe the mileage increase is due to that $12 qt oil the dealer put in the last change (Mobil synthetic 0W40 as usual)!
  • biodieseldudebiodieseldude Member Posts: 27
    So more to the point is which side will get to keep 'Jeep'. Its probably one of the most trusted brands they have............
  • storageguystorageguy Member Posts: 30
    Hello. I have an 06 and did do the recall. The dealership I go to is in a small town and their diesel mechanic very friendly and will to discuss the liberty diesel at length. First he likes them a lot, and secondly he said one could wait until the transmission failed and then get both the recall and the tranny done at the same time. The recall is to protect the transmission primarily. I can state that I really do not notice any difference in the vehicle. I am here in Calgary and have around 31,000 KM or 18,000 miles on the vehicle. By the way the Libery is awesome in our heavy snow.
    caribou1: Thanks for the information. But, with $42,000. USD for a Liberty seems outrageous, but, maybe wages are much higher there? Here for $42,000. you can get a super nice "HEMI" GC or for about $38,000. a GC with the new V-6 CRD. Where I live, the yearly personal property tax on our Liberty CRD is about $280. and it goes down each year. The License plate is $40. a year and Insurance is $68. a month for very high coverage in our case. Payments here can be a lease (which I have never done) or buying it depends on a persons credit and how much down payment they have. I think at a bank lowest is near 7% and a really bad credit may be 24% (I think), Vehicles are an "necessary evil" so my wife says.

Farout
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    biodiesel.... The DCX of today can not see the tree from the forest. to make money the answer is small engine and diesel, yes diesel engine for america and it seems that they can not grasp the idea. They have good engines but maybe they do not go full power because they lack a good tranny.

Nescosmo.
  • mrmag00mrmag00 Member Posts: 16
    My 06 Liberty is in the shop last Wed. They are having
    all kinds of problems. Couldn't get the PCM to take
    the upgrade. Ordered new PCM..... Put in the PCM and still
    problems. Replace ECM and this caused the PCM to lose it;s
    memory. Ordered 2nd PCM for Monday. Will keep you
    updated here in Calgary. You may just want to hold off
    until they get a few more done. Service Rep says the
    Canadian programming (pollution etc... I think) is different
    than the US stuff and hence DC Tech Support is having troubles working the new changes in. Varsity is the dealer I'm using. Just a lot of water running today in Calgary.
    So the question is, in the splitup, will Crysler get the Jeep brand or will Diamler get the Jeep brand??

If they split I must believe that Diamler will take at least one brand with them be it Jeep, Mercedes, Dodge, Maybach, or even a combination... I would imagine they could even take Crysler with them if they wanted.
    Btw, the Grand Cherokee is going ot be using the new Bluetech diesel technology which was invented in a coop between Audi, VW, Jeep, and Mercedes. Mercedes already has 33,000 bluetech engines sold. Bluetech now being introduced to Jeep vehicles is likely to get better gas mileage than the CRD does, even in a V-6 with higher torque and HP it is currently guessed to get near 45mpg, of course they published the Libby CRD when it first came out to get 38mpg highway and we ended up with 27. That kind of mileage in a diesel with a higher tow rating and much more room and more comforts is what would make the difference for me in spending an extra 10k to get the GC over a Libby unless of course they plan for an 08 Libby Bluetech and V6 would be sweet... Am I wrong?
    I read in a Sept. or Oct. article that actual fuel mpg was at best 21 or so on the GC. They have re tuned this V-6 several times and are not too pleased with the mpg or the power. The new and improved version coming out perhaps in Aug. has the urea cat. converter. Now that sounds fun to pay the dealer to put pee in the tank! Where did anyone who is "normal" come up with such an idea? And it took what kind od degree to come up with such a wild idea? Hey, why not try a engine that burns DUNG, like 3rd world countries use for fuel to cook on!
    Just my observation, that looking at the schedule that DCX has for engines to go into Jeep vehicles Jeep is going to stay with the "old 3.7 V-6 and the newer 4.0 V-6 for at least until 2010. We have a 06 Liberty with the 3.7 V-6 and its a pig on gasoline. The Wrangler went to a 3.8 V-6 I wonder why they don't put it into the Liberty?
    If Jeep and other Jeep products don't change, as well as other vehicles made, we will become a slave to foreign oil, and may even become high dollar fuels like that of the European countries. I think fuel should be priced by the cubic inches a engine and the actual,real world mpg. The most asinine, outrageous idea was to make huge cubic inch engines, like the HEMI and others who make these gas sucking wasting engines, when we need to conserve our fuel, is putting the burden on future generations. To allow those who like to hear the rumble and feel the huge power these engines produce and waste our fuel should pay more per gallon based on HP. Having a vehicle that is just for impressing others, with 500 hp is a corruption of the trust that has been given to us, to care for the earth. I personally feel idea of just having huge powerful engines is a perversion in thinking about energy, and a miscarriage of trust of those who make these "fun to drive Vehicles".
    If Americans think $3.00 a gallon is expensive, just wait to see what hydrogen will cost.

Farout
    Farout, are you afraid of the hydrogen boom? ;)
    He does have a point! Hydrogen as a Fuel for Automobiles

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I just went to the DCX website and found this heartening article. Unfortunately many people, 13,000 will be let go.

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom/0-5-7145-1-717333-1-0-0-0-0-0-11979-0-0-0-0- -0-0-0-0.html

If GM had gotten hold of Chrysler, they would have killed it and any hope for diesel powered vehicles.
    caribou1: Actually hydrogen may well have to become the fuel of the furture (long after I have passed on) I doubt that electric vehicles will move much further unless storage batteries are developed that can endure more charges and have a greater capicity to carry a charge in a smaller container. I worked for JPL at Edwards AFB California from 1981 to 1983 and there were teats onbattery run vehicles, batteries were the overwhemling problem then, and still are. The replacement cost is no small cost to face.
    DCX called today (a holiday at that) and said they will buy our CRD back, replace it with a new 2005 or 2006 if they can find one that's unsold. Or if we so choose we can select a DCX product with an allowance, or just buy it back. The exact details will be told to us by a Local rep soon. We are really unsure just what to do. They will fix it but, they would rather replaceit. As to the charge we would owe he said he felt it might be no mileage charge, Wow>>>

farout
    Tidester,
    There is still one "enormously frightening issue" not developed in this interesting link:
    When Hydrogen catches fire at low pressure (due to a leak on a connection), you cannot hear the gas making the typical 'hissing' sound and Hydrogen fire is practically invisible to the human eye. When you look for such a fire, you will detect a blurred vision of the scene that's behind it.
    What happens then?
    People were severely burnt in the early days of experimentation with Hydrogen. They discovered they had to walk holding a broom in front of them to detect hydrogen fire!
    I wondered why a few old experimental halls had brooms and fire extinguishing blankets rolled in stationary vertical dispensers for emergency use: the answer is Hydrogen :sick:
    Do you really want that?
    http://nasaexplorer.org/show2_k_4a.php?id=01-029&gl=k4
    That is definitely an issue. I am not sure what the current state of hydrogen fuel development is but people had been experimenting with adsorptive (yes, with a "d") storage. I.e., hydrogen tends to stick to the surface of certain materials (such as platinum).

A granulated or powderlike form of an adsorbing material has a lot of surface area available to store H2. Such a system virtually eliminates the possibility of leakage or explosion. I saw a demo (video) back in the 80's of such a vessel being tested by firing bullets through it. Nothing happened! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • zachinmizachinmi Member Posts: 228
    Funny, my 05 CRD also had a fried PCM on their first attempt, and I had to wait almost a week for them to get a replacement. The dealer techs told me that this was their first fried PCM out of 5 CRDs, and when they told that to DCX the DCX tech people said they had been very lucky! Since that, it basically works...

BUT, I now have my check engine light on since yesterday. I am guessing EGR valve but I don't know. It drives fine apart from that scary orange light. I also had this light on a few weeks ago but it went off after several trips on the freeway. Guess my CRD is going back to the dealer... AGAIN....

So when is DCX going to buy-back our CRDs so we can buy something less troublesome?

(BTW, I have been on a four month hiatus from this board due to computer issues and a move)
  • bullheadbullhead Member Posts: 125
    Yes Tidester, Sir:

Your knowledge on current Hydrogen technology is what I understand too. There are bugs to be worked out of the adsorbtive technology- to be sure, but that is the promising track of things.
    tidester:Tidester: While working for Civil Service at Edwards AFB Calif. I was employed as a Fire Fighter. I spent a good part of my time at the Rocket Test Sight. There they had Liquid hydrogen kept in very large pressurized tanks. The temp. was kept at 300 degrees minus F. Hydrogen in these tanks had a small tolerance on the + or -side. There had been a explosion years earlier and severely hurt some Fireman, as you can not see it burn, as stated.
    Just as the future cars in the mid fifties thought we would have "Jet powered auto's" and as you see, we have lots of them now. I doubt hydrogen will become a fuel for the average driver in the next 20 years. Maybe the E-85 might really become a fuel that will be a fuel to fill the gap until a better engine or fuel is developed.
    How about the fuel developed in "Back to the Future". The Flux Capacitor just might save the day?

Way Farout
    One of today's answer to "pacific & friendly" storage of hydrogen is described here:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/12/061209083951.htm

With our diesel engines we will always be able to mix basic substances to replace normal fuel. In case of shortage, then cetane boosting will become vital. Did you know that in the EU luxury cars currently have their airbags stripped to pieces and their firing explosives stolen? I wonder what some folks are up to :confuse:
  • mdamickmdamick Member Posts: 277
    Slight problem,
    The flux capacitor stored energy, plutonium was the source.
    How about the fuel developed in "Back to the Future"

I keep checking ebay for that "Mr. Fusion" unit! ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks for the link - that looks promising!

Re: airbags - yes, I was aware of that. Unfortunately, there are way too many crazies out there. :(

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Nothing to do with Jeeps, but here is the link to fusion energy. It's a serious, peaceful and international project:
    http://www.iter.gouv.fr/index.php?rubr=3
    Tidester: You may have read in my posts that DCX is "in the process of a buy out" with me. That means you can't even find out how much refund you have coming if you cancel the Service Contract! This seems very odd to us. The dealer has said he has never seen a buy back with less than $ .10 per mile use charge. He said he has seen as much as $ .70 a mile as well. With almost 29,000 miles even at $ .10 thats no small charge. When I mentioned that more than 1,400 miles were spent going and coming home from the dealer they said they would get back to us on that. We have been told they will buy back for sticker price, plus the Service Contract, and sell for sticker and - any rebates. We have asked what if we keep the CRD and they fix it? They don't know if they can fix everything!
    To add to this two step dance, because we have not serviced our Liberty's differentials every 12,000 miles our warranty on these may not be warranted by DCX. (special fluid change price is $ 282. + tax, that is horrid. Because of the special fluids that DCX uses it does not last as long. I find this rather hard to swallow. What do you think or have heard? The service manager said most of the CRD's they have sold are having some problems now.

However Yark Jeep in Toledo, Ohio said they have sold a lot of CRD's and only a few have had an EGR problem, and that's about it.

We are unsure just what do do. The dealer has a small inventory of vehicles and there isn't much I would want to replace it with. We will not dive into this, we are leaving all options open for now.

Any suggestions????

Farout
    Thanks. Actually, I do have some familiarity with the fusion programs. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I think you can expect any manufacturer to pay out the minimum possible in such situations. The service issue with regard to the differential warranty sounds a bit bizarre. However, regarding the mileage charge, I think 10 cents a mile would be quite a bargain! Afterall, you have had the use of the vehicle for 29,000 miles and surely that is worth something. Good luck!

Has anyone here had similar experiences?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • twocycle2twocycle2 Member Posts: 55
    Farout,

If I were in your shoes, I would accept the buyback...even if they charge you .10 a mile, that is only $2900, and if they will buy it back at sticker minus $2900, that is a great deal compared to the depreciation hit you'd take trading it in later. As cars age, the problems usually increase...considering the issues you've had so far, I'd take this opportunity while it's available. As I've stated before, I've had no problems with mine to speak of so far, but if I'd been through what you've been through, I'd take the opportunity to unload it in a heartbeat. If you like the Liberty, consider getting another gas one....or, the new Dodge Nitro (built on the same platform), is a great looking vehicle and a little bigger too...at least you'd be driving something that should be more reliable. Just my two cents....

Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted....more of us may be in your shoes someday.
    Twocycle2
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Farout You have a Liberty gas and it is not the same, also there are not a single vehicle out there that have the power of the CRD with the malage that your are getting.
    As far as i know the problem that you are getting is mainly body issue, the engine, tranny and else is not giving you that much of a problem we all have the normal issue with the CRD. If i were you i will get another CRD with less mileage and with all the issue work out. After all you have been very happy with it.

Nescosmo.
  • petoskiinspetoskiins Member Posts: 12
    I agree with nescosmo on this one. But if your not a diesel fan now is the time to get out. I became a diesel fan after buying this liberty, I never had a car before that I enjoy driving like I do now. I also have a Ford Ranger and when I drive it I drive like a madman dashing here dashing there as if I'm in a race to get there, but when I drive the liberty I love to just putter around. If I ever wreck it I'll try and put the engine in something else. Maybe a wrangler.

Do you think you could get some weather stripping of some sort and see if this will help reduce the noise? My Feb. 06 model makes a little more noise than it should at highway speeds and blows hard in a strong crosswind.

What are your unresolved problems? My only unresovled problem is the sunroof leaks water into the cargo area when my jeep is parked pointing uphill in the rain.
  • budsjpbudsjp Member Posts: 25
    To me, this is simply a financial issue - you will never get a better "trade-in" price than this and with 29k on the vehicle, additional normal(e.g., tires and expensive oil changes) and probably abnormal repairs (with the experience you've had) are going to happen. You've had bad luck with your CRD, much worse than most of the rest of us. If you can find a replacement vehicle within your financial ability (i.e.,I presume you could add funds to the trade-in money - assuming you could do that) that meets your needs, take the money and run! Are you restricted to vehicles on the dealer's lot?
  • ucanfarmucanfarm Member Posts: 33
    To add to this two step dance, because we have not serviced our Liberty's differentials every 12,000 miles our warranty on these may not be warranted by DCX

Farout:
    In response to this I have suggestion. How close are you to a military base? If I remember right. About every base has an Auto Crafts shop that Military and Retired can use. I have looked into Amsoil as have added a trailer hookups to the jeep. By looking At the scheduled maintenance the book has schedule A and B. In my book it don't mention a single word on changing the differential oil, but because I do tow a trailer the book seems to go into panic mode and wants me to change it too much. I am going to replace it with an amsoil lube gear oil on my next service. The gear oil is good for at least 50,000 miles. What I gather if any product fails due to oil they cover it under some warrantee or product liability as long as you take an oil sample. Change the oil yourself with the specified lube on post and drive it.....by then.......................................................... Who knows, I bet you don't want to let the jeep go yet.
  • synlubessynlubes Member Posts: 184
    amsoil good choice
    ucanfarm: It is almost impossible for ANYONE to qualify for Schedule A Maintenance, so B is what MUST be the schedule we use. Under either the 05 or 06 Owners Manual these differentials MUST be drained and fluid replaced, NO MATTER WHAT brand of fluid, as per DCX rep. This is a trap! This requirement makes this CRD outrageously expensive to keep up the required maintenance. I am not physically able to do this. The fact DCX is looking for a buyer, and they want to show they have a good warranty record. If you has a 3.7 gas you can go longer,ONLY the CRD requires this excivessive fluid changes. I am not happy either way I go, buy back is maybe the best for like trade in value, but there are always added unexpeded items. Keeping the "Green Beast" is more what we want, but...... there are several problems that the dealer has had 5 times to toss pars at the problems and still has no idea what to do next. So we are to get the results of the area rep by Friday. Honestly we do not look forward to this. It is easy to get real worn out with this, I think this is part of the plan.

farout
  • vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    FO:

I don't know you, but have followed your problems for some time now on this forum. My advice (and you know what they say about advice:"everybodys got it, like an ahole" is that you get your $$ from DC and walk away from the car. Clearly, whether your really "like" the CRD or not it is not giving you good service and you should take the $$ and run. It seems they are giving you a "fair" deal and that is about all anyone could hope for.

It is clearly not worth all the angst to keep the CRD. As one of my good friends says: "life is too short to dance with the ugly girls". So, chalk it up to experience and get something else.
    Farout: why do you think we should be concerned by Schedule B instead of A? The CRD is a rugged diesel rig and before we can make it suffer, it will be hard to keep up with the rhythm for ourselves.
    If differential maintenance is your unknown source of problems, you can always put a "button" temperature logger against the rear banjo and evaluate how hot you run and how long. Do you really think Dana transmission elements need more care when used on a Jeep?
    caribou1: The service manager is now saying that I did not follow the required maintenance schedule, one example is the differentials show no history of service in 29,000 miles. My point is I am notexperiencing any drive line problems. I think this is a sideline issue they can bring up to show it was not properly maintained. I however have kept records that show they have checked the differentials every time it has been in for an oil change.
    Are you sure these are Dana differenentials? Is there a drain plug for these or do you have to remove the plate? The front holds 1.3 L and the back 1.7 L. The dealer said that ONLY Mopar should be used, which I am not is the only brand that is good. What do you use?
    I have brought to the service managers attention that the gas engine on schedule B does not ever state that you MUST change the fluid unless it's used as the points listed with crosse's stacked on each other. None of the things listed do we experience. So they are checking as to why is the deisel different than the gas requirements? I was told they would find out as this is a good question.
    The buy back will be effected by this problem so I am told. My wife said if that is the case what good is a Service Contract? We are supposed to hear on Friday waht all this means and if we will accept the buy back, it's still our choice at this point. Time will tell.

Farout