Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H3

Comments

• nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    I would buy a H3 before leasing. Maybe I would lease a H2 since it is much more. Even the big Hummer dealer in NJ didn't have an H3 2 weeks ago. I hope they will have them soon. I plan to buy in the winter an H3.
  • brianabriana Member Posts: 24
    Congrats jeff, that's almost the exact truck i was looking at, minus the chrome rims and chrome appearance. You left out the most important info though, what were your lease terms? What came out of pocket and what did your payment work out to be? And what is the GM in the driveway program? Thanks.
    The dealer I spoke to last night said they just got them in about 2 weeks ago, so maybe you just missed their arrival. They are there now though.
  • w4rmkw4rmk Member Posts: 3
    I went by the local Hummer dealership here in West Denver. I fell in love with the H3 but was disappointed to find out that they were selling them for 4K over MSRP. I checked online for the next closest dealership and called the one in Colorado Springs. They are selling the H3's for 2K over MSRP. I called the next closest in Wyoming. They are selling the H3 for MSRP with no markup. So I had their salesman research what was coming in soon. I put down a deposit for the following model:
    Shadow Green, Adventure Package, 6 Disc CD, XM Radio, Moonroof, Step Bars, Brush Guard.
    It should be arriving around the middle of July. Now I just have to be patient and wait! I think it's worth driving 4 hours north to save several thousand dollars!
  • bcookbcook Member Posts: 4
    To the person who was questioning what the dealer was saying about the '06 models: He's telling the truth. The current "Employee Discount for Everyone" sale is only good on '05 models. It's purpose is to clear out the 05's.

I'm not at all surprised that dealers are selling these for more than MSRP. GM cannot turn out the H2's fast enough so it's no surprise that a smaller and CHEAPER version of the H2 is selling like hotcakes.
    It stinks that GM would charge that much over MSRP. If it get too high people will just buy an SUV that is in the 35K price range that much more worth it. By the time I will be looking in Dec I hope it won't be selling for over MSRP.
    In Flemington NJ they have like over 50 H2 Hummer all different colors and models. I went 2 weeks ago to see if they have any H3 and were none there, but they have an ad that says they have them now so I'll check it out.
  • neobitzneobitz Member Posts: 8
    Thanks briana... I wasn't originally looking to get the chrome apperance and rims, but when I saw them on an H3 next to the stock H3, it just looked so much better...

I don't have the papers in front of me, but here is basically what the deal was:

I used the GMAC lease plan. 40 months, 15k miles/year, 51% residual (or was it 52%?), 7.75% GMAC Rate. Then the kicker, the GM in the Driveway discount. The sticker was around 37,700. After the discount, it was around 34k and some change. The discount saved me about 3400. Out of pocket for the H3, I paid the first month payment and some title fees/taxes, totaling just over $800. In the end, my payments are about $535.

The GM in the Driveway plan is a plan that GM employees or affiliates can get for their family, friends, or neighbors, etc. This is different than the current public promotion (on '05 stuff), and is generally available for any GM vehicle, with some limitations. I'm really suprised I could use it on the '06 H3 :) Basically, if you have this discount, GM sets the discounted price, not the dealer. The dealer just handles the paperwork.

For the people talking about the dealers selling vechicles over MSRP... I refuse to work with any dealer that would do that to a customer. It may be a common practice, but I always tell the dealer that if that is the way they want to treat customers, then they instantly loose the sale because I don't agree with that business tactic. If they gouge you on the sticker, it says a lot about how the dealer will treat you when you need service later.

I bought my H3 from Hummer of Columbus (OH) and they were totally professional and never once mentioned anything about pricing OVER MSPR. In fact, before I found out I had the GM discount, they were going to discount the H3 $500. If anyone is looking in the Columbus, Ohio area, I'll gladly send you the salesperson's name that I dealt with.
    "It stinks that GM would charge that much over MSRP..."

It's not GM doing that to you. It's the dealer. Go elsewhere.

Unfortunately, Hummer dealers are not as common as Ford and Dodge dealers, so you may have to travel a bit :/
    Seems like you actually got a pretty decent deal neobitz. I was looking at an H3 with the sticker around 34 and the guy wanted me to put about 2300 out of pocket, 12K miles, payment was like 525 or something like that. He just entered the numbers into the computer right in front of me, so it was all legit, but with him doing it at msrp the numbers didn't look so hot. I barely paid attention since I knew I wasn't going to do that deal, but I don't know how likely they are to budge off of that. They seemed to be selling the H3s pretty well.

By the way, how were you eligible for the GM in the driveway discount, do you know someone who works for GM? That sounds great though, you got a good deal, I gotta see if I can somehow swing that.
    Yes, you are right it is the dealers that do it. When I have time I'll have to check in my local Hummer dealer Flemington NJ is MSRP or not unless someone from here knows already?

I remember the Prowler were selling for like 70K and MSRP it was a 35K car. And the dealers were the ones that made the bucks not Plymouth guys who made the car.
    One other question that I just realized I wanted to ask you. You did the lease for 40 months? I'm just comparing the numbers you got to what I was given at my trip to the dealership and it just doesn't make sense. I'm assuming you might have meant 48 months, not 40, b/c you would be getting killed at a 51 or 52% residual for 40 months (with the residual for 36 months being 62%). And also at that residual value for only 40 months, your payment would be waaaay higher. At 48 months the payment works out slightly higher (using the edmunds basic lease calculator, which isn't going to match up 100% with your numbers).

Just looking for some clarification as I'm looking at the same truck. Thanks for the help.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Local dealers in Toronto are charging and advertising MSRP right now. I called a couple of days ago and there is no discounting but no premium either.

Dealers that charge a premium can do so, but I think they risk getting a bad reputation from doing so.
    Sorry about that -- it's 48 months.

As for getting the GM discount - yes, I have a friend that worked for GM.

I've had the H3 for a couple days now and it's extreamly fun to drive. Good luck with your pursuit. They are nice.

Jeff
  • w4rmkw4rmk Member Posts: 3
    I went by the dealer here in Denver yesterday. I was wrong about them selling for 4K over MSRP. The salesman told me they are selling for MSRP, but I found an interesting tactic they are using to boost the price. I thought it was strange that all the H3's on the lot were priced around 40K. After further discussion with the salesman, what this dealership is doing is adding a bunch of aftermarket stuff onto their H3's and boosting the price. For example, one had a clear coat bra, pinstriping, tinted windows, brush guard, fog lights, etc. All of these "dealer add-ons" bumped the price over 40k. Almost every vehicle on the lot had these various extras added on. I asked if it was possible to get one without all this extra stuff and he said yes, if you reserve one that hasn't arrived yet.

The main reason I went was to see if they had received any more colors in stock so that I could get a first hand look at every color to confirm that Green was still my first choice. They had every color on the lot, and I still like the green exterior the best. Red would by my 2nd choice.

I also got to see the difference in the tires from the 32s and 33s sitting side by side. I definetely liked the 33s better. They look more aggressive and stand out real nice. So I am happy that I am getting the Adventure model. Really the only thing that I am going to miss a little by not getting the Lux is the homelink garage door opener.

Also I have a question, has anyone here seen the H3 with the green inserts in the seats? I really would like to see what the interior looks like, but the dealer doesn't have any like that on the lot. So it seems my first view of the 2 tone green/black seats will be when I pick up my H3 next month. I am wondering if any of the green is put on the door panels or dash. I really like the look of the 2 tone cashmere on the door panels and dash. But I am willing to bet that the green is only used as insets in the seats. Has anyone seen the green interior?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    interesting tactic

Interesting and not all that uncommon, unfortunately. There's a couple of captive Toyota distributors who do the same thing for their regions.

If you focus on the out the door price for the model you want and ignore the options that you don't want, and don't worry about the other line items, you can save some time. You may have to walk and let them call you back but pinstriping peels right off. :-)

Steve, Host
    Yeah I was going to say, if they add some much stuff to them and make the 40K with dealer add on why not get a H2 stock then for 52K. I just one around 33K ballpark figure with would be a base H3 with auto.
  • hunter3hunter3 Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations neobitz on your H3 purchase. I am a GM employee and I will be shopping for an H3 at the Columbus, Ohio dealership. I would like to know the name of your salesperson. Also, I have never been to this dealer before, and I wanted to know how many H3's do they keep in stock, and what do they have in color and option availability? Thank you.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'll gladly send you the salesperson's name that I dealt with.

hunter3: I would like to know the name of your salesperson.

I suggest that one or the other or both of you make your email address visible in your user profile since posting the names of salespeople isn't permitted on the boards.

tidester, host
  • garykygaryky Member Posts: 9
    Who has found any $$ of the MSRP? Here in Louisville KY they are not coming off the RSRP at all. I want to buy one but am concerned about the 3.5L. Can anyone that has purchased one give me info on the 3.5L?

Gary
    Here in Ky the dealers are not discounting at all. What is your salesmans name at the dealership in Columbus OH? My email is garylv98@aol.com.
    I wish I knew someone that worked at GM....

Thanks Gary
  • funpilotfunpilot Member Posts: 66
    My dealer screwed up my second order so I am giving up on the H3....also was some what disturbed over the blind spots....so I am buying an Avalanche instead. By the way, on another forum, someone has decided to sell their H3 after 1500 miles... wonder why?
    Sometimes people have buyer's remorse after ten miles:

naki, "Any Questions for a Car Dealer?" #12111, 19 Jun 2005 10:00 pm

Steve, Host
    I know what you mean, because my parents bought a car used once and just didn't care for it on the way home and brought the car back after a few minutes. It was hard, but they were able to do it.

Anyway on the Hummer H3 I have ruled out since I checked it out Saturday. The front seating was nice and comfortable, but there just wasn't much room in the back seating. At least compare to my wife Xterra. Now if it was just two of us it wouldn't be a problem, but I plan to have people in the back and for long trips. Other than that I it is a nice truck feel SUV. Also what up with the power seats buttons are hard to use when the doors are closed in the front.
    Gary - I sent you an email. For anyone else that is interested (hunter3), you can drop me a line at jmkurtz at neobitz dot com.

The 3.5L is a little slow on takeoff, but that's not a big deal as I'm not buying this to use as a roadster.

An interesting story though... I was driving my H3 to my nephews house over the weekend and was taking the back roads to keep the speed low during the break-in period. I was doing about 55mph and approaching me from the oposing direction was a truck hauling hay. The wind caught some of the bails on the truck and blew them off just as I was closing in. One bail lifted off pretty good and was flying towards our lane, straight towards us. I swerved to the right, and through the sunroof, we could see the bail of hay fly over top of us. The bail of hay had to just miss us by inches. I could see it in my rearview mirror, laying in the middle of the lane I was driving in -- with the traffic that was behind me stopping. It looked just like something right out of the movies -- it was freaky. I can still see it in slow motion in my mind -- it scared the crap out of my wife and daughter, and me too, but I won't admit that... But the short of the story is, the H3 handled exceptionally well, especially considering that I had to react quickly and there wasn't much room on the shoulder, so I went off road slightly and still maintained complete control.

--Jeff
    I just sent my dealer an email about the GM in the Driveway program as I have a friend who knows a GM employee. The dealer told me that the H3 isn't available under this program. Neobitz used it as far as I know, but anyone else try? I asked the dealer to confirm that his info is right.
    I called a dealer in Columbus, OH and Indianapolis and they both will accept the GM in the Driveway program. Now I just wish I knew someone at GM.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get a GM in the Driveway Certificate?

Thanks
  • prospectkyprospectky Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me a heads up on what it will cost to insure the H3? I'm looking at the Lux Series with pretty much all of the options. I live in Prospect, KY which is a suburb of Louisville. I am moving from NYC and I have not owned a vehicle in over 9 years. It will be garage kept if that makes a difference. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Any idea how I can get a GM in your driveway certificate #?

Thanks

Gary
    Try a net search for "GM in your driveway certificate"; I saw some auto union sites and other places offering them up via email.

Steve, Host
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I tried that URL and it does not work
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please read your email.

tidester, host
  • go2dunngo2dunn Member Posts: 1
    If anyone would like a GM Certificate to assist them in buying a New General Motors product, feel free to Post, Pm, or Email your request. I with fellow employees of the GM Divisions will be happy to give a certificate to any future customer of GM. The certificates are worth a Supplier Discount which is about 1% below Invoice. Rebates or other Special Offers are USUALLY good with the certificates. Dealers are not required to accept the certificates, but I haven't heard of any who don't take them. Add the cost savings of the certificate with future GM promotions and your cost continues a downward spiral. I can usually handle about 40 per month Just send your birthdate , last 4 digits of your SSN and email address so we can send your certificate to you. I don't believe the Certificates are any good in Canada due to the requirement of the last 4 digits of the person's SSN. The Certificates will be good for 6 months after they are issued. This date is stated on the certificate.

Richard.Ott@gm.com or Rocz3cqg@aol.com or Pm Cz3cqg

pat
  • cz3cqgcz3cqg Member Posts: 25
    If a prospective customer of GM would like a Gm in the Driveway certificate which comes to about 1% below invoice, feel free to send birthdate and last 4 digits of your SSN to rocz3cqg@aol.com or richard.ott@gm.com. Keep in mind that dealers are not required to accept these certificates. What you will find is that some dealers won't accept them on certain models ie Corvette. Read the forums and get info on dealers that do accept the certificates and search their inventory for a purchase.
    Richard
  • onthebeachonthebeach Member Posts: 1
    I've had my H3 for a month. I really like it but: there is very little storage space. None under any seats, almost none in the front doors and none in the back doors. The pockets in the back of the front seats are useless because when you fold the back seats, they crush right up to the front seats (unless you are short and can move the seats way up). The back seats do not fold flat. The blind spots are pretty bad. I already backed mine into a pole. Going about 1 mile per hour. After hitting it, I looked again, drove forward 6-8 feet and looked again, could NOT see the pole in any mirror. Hit right at the corner and did $936. worth of damage. Other than that, it's the coolest vehicle I ever had. GB
    After waiting and waiting and waiting for my H3 I gave up and bought an Avalanche. Like onthebeach, I noticed all the shortcomings of the H3 in my test drive but was full of H3 fever and at the time I chose to ignore them. But after my third order was messed up, I began to wonder if it was not for me. So, more by chance than design, I test drove the Avalanche and actually was more impressed with it than the H3 (for on road, not off road use). What is most surprising is that I am averaging well above 20 mpg (high of 24.3) which appears to be much better than that being experienced by H3 owners.

In the interest of full disclosure, getting $10,000 off MSRP made it very easy to want the Av,
    Welcome to the Av Funpilot and you made a good choice.
  • benji3benji3 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a report on the Monsoon sound system in the H3??
  • benji3benji3 Member Posts: 2
    How long does it take to order an H3 exactly how you want it??
  • chicagodrive1chicagodrive1 Member Posts: 64
    Like the H2, why do they offer tinted windows when the point of buying this vehicle is to be seen in it?
    After they come back from vacation, you can expect 3 weeks until it is built and another 3 weeks for delivery.
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    I must get a GM in the Driveway Certificate and then hopefully find a dealer that wil honor it. I went with my husband to a Hummer dealer and test drove the H3 in an automatic. The salesman said that they went on a training course and he did drive the H3 in a manual version and thinks it is just awesome. They won't be getting any manuals in til the end of the month or the start of August. We were promised a test drive ASAP. My husband really wants a H3 and was disappointed by the GM Employee discount not covering the H3. But if I can get him a certicate, I think he will really be happy. We both drive manual transmission vehicles and have for years. I and my husband still like to drive the car and not just go along for the ride. I prefer the control that a manual trans gives the driver.
    Anyone have any opinions on the manual version????????
    Send your birthdate and last 4 digits of your ssn to rocz3cqg@aol.com or richard.ott@gm.com for a certificate
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    Thanks.
    I just sent an email to Richard Ott. Thisi will be a most pleasant surprise for my husband when I give him the Certificate.
    I'm curious - an AP story today says that GM is extending the employee prices Discount program:

"The current promotion includes all 2005 GM vehicles except the Chevrolet Corvette, Pontiac GTO and GMC medium duty trucks."

Yahoo News

The Hummer is its own brand - are they considering it a GMC medium truck?

Steve, Host
  • m2845m2845 Member Posts: 6
    The GM employee Discount program does not include the 2006 H3.
    Ah, that's tricky - only good for 2005 models and there is no '05 H3. Gotcha. :)

Steve, Host
  • fultonpubfultonpub Member Posts: 6
    Is the certificate # all that is needed to use the gm in the driveway discount?
    Quote:
    "Is the certificate # all that is needed to use the gm in the driveway discount?"

Yes!!! It is good for 6 month from the time that it is given to you.
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    GMID is for 1% over Invoice....and will include 2006 H3's in the not too distant future (ie. in the 1-3 month range) Once demand dies down dealers WILL accept GMID certs. This info comes from a Hummer dealership..
    Hummer dealerships are already accepting GMID cert. I used a GM in the driveway certificate last weekend to buy a Lux Series H3. In general, the certificate will save you around $3,300.00. Also, the GMID is for 1% below invoice not above!

Hope this helps!