Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300/300C

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
It will be called the 300N; the 300C stands for concept, the N follows the current M. Anyway, I'm sad to see "cab-forward" go, but this looks cool too.

Comments

• barneymbarneym Member Posts: 32
    FYI - the Yahoo! home page has some nice 300C flash movie ads today. I hope this signals the beginning of some serious advertising on their part.
  • oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    In my July Edition of Automobile, Chrysler said that it will not be called the 300N because it is not a continuation of the 300M.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Go figure.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Like libertycat, I was saddened to see the Cab forward look go. They have been some of the best looking 4 door car designs to ever hit the road. The new "C" has nothing to do with the M. The M was a stylish 4 door with good handling and Power. The C will have more power (offser by more weight) and looks like a small Bentley instead of a Chrysler. IMHO they set Automotive design back 30 years. I have an M and looks like I will be keeping it until the "P" models come out. Sad to say the Honda's are going to be better looking vehicles. To bad Chrysler lost all its best people to GM.
  • jackdev73jackdev73 Member Posts: 4
    I can believe someone would say that Honda has better looking vehicles (Honda = "boring!") then the new 300. I personally find the new 300 to be absolutely beautiful. I currently own a 2001 LHS and love it. The styling to me is still beautiful and fresh. Regardless, I cant wait to trade it in on the new 300. I found out from a local dealership (whether its true or not) that they were told there will be three 300 models, a base called simply 300 with the 2.7 liter V6, a mid range 300 Touring with the 3.5 liter V6 from the 300M, and the top 300C with the hemi V8. Sounds good to me. When can I order mine?
  • dbinkley1dbinkley1 Member Posts: 1
    While the cab-forward was a huge success for Chrysler, and the others who copied them, it was a disaster for CARS! In my opinion, the cab forward design, that so many raved about, was all about form, and not function! Numbers will show, that minivan, and SUV sales soared, as car sales plummeted, as families attempted to find an affordable alternative to the "slanted sedans" of the '90's. Nothing quite like banging your head, entering, and exiting your sleek ride! I welcome the 300C, and hope that Chrysler will keep a comparable, and affordable front drive sedan around for all of us in the snow belt!!!
  • jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    An word on what the neww 300c (or 300n) will sticker at?
    Also, will this car be a replacement for the Concorde too? Or just the 300m? There is a shortage of moderately priced large cars out there. The crown vic is kind of a dinosaur (the five-hundred just doesn't look big enuf, guess we'll see...), chevy has nothing, and the rest start at $40-50k plus(MB500, BMW7s, Audi8s, big Caddys, etc). Maybe there just is not a market for them, but I'd love to see some more big american sedans with attitude, priced well, with some 21st century technolgy to make them handle and get decent mileage without hurting performance. Too much to ask for maybe.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    All the cab forward (LH) cars will be replaced. The last one was made last week in Brampton.

Chrysler has displayed some concept cars over the past couple of years, but the 300C is the only announced production vehicle. It is due to hit the market near the end of February, 2004.

Don't know what the sticker will be, but I would guess a base of high 30's to low 40's.
    Wow, high 30's and up?!?! Too rich for me. Maybe I am a just dinosaur, and a cheap one at that, when it comes to pricing of cars these days.
    But the Pacifica came out high (32-40k) and very quickly the low-ended models were discounted by dealers to the 25-26k range.

If the 300C is produced with a 2.7 litre engine, they may dip down to around 30k MRSP and be available in the 25k range fairly quickly, depending on demand. The 3.5L and hemi will of course be higher.

Again, just a guess...
    I have a feeling that Chrysler wont totally abandon their current customers in their effort to move up the price ladder. I believe there will be a 300 model, possibly the base 300 with the 2.7 in the hight 20s to around 30 with the Touring model with the 3.5 in the low to mid 30s. Just a guess and I hope I am right. Any firm answers when the first cars will arrive in showrooms? I would order one without driving it at this point. The anticipation is killing me.
  • joelcjoelc Member Posts: 5
    I hope DaimlerChrysler will figure out a way to make the doors slam solid on the new 300C. The Concord Limited and 300M sound tinny for 30+ K dollar cars. Maybe they could buy doors from Buick. It is a great looking car, read in Motor Trend it would be around $35,000.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Although cab forward may be form over function this thing looks too bottom heavy for my eye. Funny because almost all German cars whether VW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi or BMW are very attractively styled. Is this some kind of German revenge because of Iraq?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I don't know what you are talking about. My 300Ms doors closed with a very solid thunk.

I think you are referring to some other cars.
    When the Pacifica was first went on sale, bad marketing and high end only models at the dealership caused slow sales. However, dealers never discounted the Pacifica to the 25-26k range. Sales of the Pacifica quickly increased and it now approaching its projected level of sales. Chrysler has said that they have learned from their mistakes with the Pacifica. The hemi powered 300C will have a base price of 35k and will probably escalate with options to over 40k. The 3.5 liter engine will base engine. The 2.7 will not be offered.
  • soozpksoozpk Member Posts: 205
    I sent this commentary to AllPar.com to post, but I don't think it ever was, so I'll do it here.
    As a prospective buyer of a new 300C, (Brampon will begin to build them the second week of Jan 04), I have to say I have mixed feelings about it at this point in time.
    I had been at my local dealership getting my '94 Lebaron Landau repaired, when I popped my
    nose into the showroom. There was a Pacifica there, listed at $35,000 (US). Okay, I got in,
    and my first impression was not the layout, or comfort, but how cheap the blue pvc plastic
    made the interior. Get this, NO woodgrain, whatsoever. I have LOTS of woodgrain on my Lebaron dash, AND, of course, that's just plastic. At 35,000 bucks, one must have some
    perception of luxury, so toss in the woodgrain, at least. From the pics of the 300C's interior
    that I've seen, the dash is also pretty much devoid of woodgrain also. Which brings me to
    another possible problem. The 300C concept car has two different sized tires (wider on rear)
    and I believe as does the production CrossFire. I do hope I'm wrong in this regard, as surely
    there's no room in the trunk for two different sized tires. What size does the Crossfire come with????? Again, I hope I'm wrong on this.
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    Regarding the Pacifica, exactly what "blue pvc plastic" are you talking about? There is a fair amount of realistic woodgrain trim in the Pacifica, but no blue PVC that I know of. When I bought my Chrysler, there was a thin plastic "static cling" film over the woodgrain to protect it from scratches before delivery to buyers. If I remember correctly, it had a blue tint to it. Perhaps this is what you're thinking of? If so, it peels right off. Here is a picture of the Pacifica interior for reference. Notice the wood trim across the dash and door:

http://wwwsg.daimlerchrysler.com/GMS/CONTENT/IMAGES/555233c2004_0- 32-h__mid.jpg

Thus far, we've only seen interior pictures of the 300C concept, not the production version. If you've seen the interior of the Pacifica concept, you'll recall that it had no wood trim at all. Perhaps Chrysler will add more wood trim to the production version of the 300C as they did with the Pacifica. While I'm not sure about the tire sizes of the 300C concept, I'm almost positive that the production version will have the same size tires front and rear so that the spare can be used on either end. The production Crossfire has 19" tires in the rear and 18" tires in the front, but no spare tire at all in an effort to conserve cargo space. In place of a spare, there is a seal kit and air compressor tucked away into the trunk. Several BMW and Mercedes models use similar systems.
    can I have what you smoke?
    Thanks for the info, and of course the pic, but the Pacifica that I was in was devoid of
    ANY wood trim. The interior was a light blue, and the dash was done in blue plastic,
    again, the "plain-jane-ness" of that is what caught my attention. Evidently, there must be
    different trim packages available. Also, thanks for your input on the CrossFire's tire
    (or lack of) ammenities. Not having a spare in below-zero weather would certainly
    be a factor in buying one or not.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    This interior is identical to that of my 300M. However, the 300M Special has no woodgrain, and instead has a sort of metal-mesh trim. I'm not 100% certain, but *think* the wood trim is actually wood-style plastic.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I think you are still talking about some other car. Or they lied to you and told you that it was a Pacifica.

Pacificas don't come with blue interiors.

But Honda Element does. I think it is very likely that you saw an Element.
    The wood in the Pacifica is fake but not plastic. Rather, Chrysler uses an expensive process that alters some metal alloy that they use to look like wood. This process, however, is still cheaper than using real wood trim.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    " but *think* the wood trim is actually wood-style plastic."

you are half right , on regular 300M's they use fake wood , but if you order the luxury package the 300m comes with REAL wood on the dash . The Special uses carbon fiber looking dash inserts
  • rusty104rusty104 Member Posts: 39
    Do you know what the latest production schedule for the 300C and Magnum is? Any news on either model too.
    Thanks for the clarification on the wood. I still wish they would use real wood, or no wood at all. Thus far, that's my only complaint about the vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The latest I have is production on the 300C begins mid-Janurary. This was taken from
    the Brampton CAW union website.
    Hummm, I was told by my dealer the 2.7 would be offered on the new 300 (or perhaps he meant some version of the LX, who knows). Not that it really matters to me, I will most likely be getting mine with the 3.5 since the V8 model will probably be priced to high. Saw my first pic of the 300 in a different color and it still looks beautifull. I can't wait.
    The Concorde and Intrepid replacements and the Dodge Magnum will be getting the 2.7L engine. The 3.5L engine will under go a major over haul by the time the Concorde?, Intrepid?, and Magnum reach show rooms.
    Don't forget that the 5.7 Hemi engine will be available as a variable displacement engine
    sometime in the near future, something like the unreliable Cadillac 4-6-8. I hope the
    engineers at Mopar do it right, and not "hurry up", just to get it into production as Cadillac
    did.
    rusty104-yup sometime in Jan . once we start to build them I will let you know
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Topic should be changed to 300C.
    Done!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I wish that the base engine in these cars was either the torquier 3.8L OHV V6 from the minivans or the 3.7L SOHC V6 from the trucks, with the 4.7L SOHC V8 being the midrange engine, instead of the 3.5L SOHC V6. I like the cars, but am concerned that visibility may be poor with those small windows.
  • jediknight2bjediknight2b Member Posts: 10
    We have a Grand Caravan with the 3.8, I hate that motor. It is noisy, rattles, slower than the M by a long shot. I just put off getting a '04 M to "wait and see" what the "C" looks like in person. I think it is better looking in the darker colors than the light.
    jediknight2b, from what have seen I like the light colours better . But heck I really like them all
  • guyquinnguyquinn Member Posts: 1
    If you placed a 300C and a 300M next to each other, you would have no idea they were from the same line. What's with completely throwing away the great 300M package and starting something totally new?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    The 300C is a completely different kind of car with no relationship to the 300M.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• bmorisettebmorisette Member Posts: 21
    guyquinn - I love the 300M but lets be honest, it is just a dressed up Chyrysler Concorde/Intrepid/LHS with a slightly better engine. Chrysler was whoring the heritage of the 300 series be reviving it for this car. I personally think the 300C is more deserving of the legacy of the 300 series. Who would of ever thought Detroit (via Hamburg, but who's counting) would ever produce a rear wheel drive V-8 car that wasn't designed with cop/cab duty in mind. I just had a terrible thought - imagine th 300C with a light bar. Crickey! Talk about menacing. If DC carries this concept to the Intrepid, they may enjoy some fleet sales to PD's around the country again.
    Is no more a Letter car then the 300M was. The letter cars were known for their style Cutting age designs. (the 300M fits this better then the 300C) which looks almost exactly like a Bently (except for the lo beam headlight). The Letter cars were known for their power. Here the 300C may have an edge over the M. They were also all two door covertables or coupes. Here Both fail. So is the 300C a true letter car, you have to say no. The 300HemiC was the only Car Chrysler produced in the last 10 years that could claim that title.
    I am the one that said the New honda's IMHO look better the the New Chrylser's comming out, and I still stand by that. I have a 99 300M and still think it is one of the best looking cars (especially for a four door) Auto mags still say the LH are the best looking 4 door sedans on the road. I have not heard anyone say anything even positive about the LX sedans. And Putting a 2.7L into such a heavey vehicle, what are they thinking. Even the 3.5L in it will be slower then the stock M. It is a shame the the chrysler vehicles insted of looking like cars of the future will look like cars the past. (the PT at least looks good). It is too bad they killed the only true successor to the Letter throne the 300HemiC. Hopefully in another 5 years they will not make the same mistake.
    It's roomy looking and ought to be faster than the GM/CV twins with a hemi underhood.

The menacing look is a bonus.

"is just a dressed up Chyrysler Concorde/Intrepid/LHS with a slightly better engine. Chrysler was whoring the heritage of the 300 series be reviving it for this car. I personally think the 300C is more deserving of the legacy of the 300 series."

The 300M was Motor Trend's Car of the Year for 1999.

Any bets on the 300C?

BTW, the LHS had the same engine.
    that have won COTY awards, Chrysler had better hope MT passes over the 300C.

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I know you guys like your 300M's but we are talking about a car that never had any drivetrain improvements over it's entire run (exhaust changes don't count).
    Not any quicker than my 21K DOHC Intrigue was.
    Also a vehicle that has an incredibly inefficient automatic transmission that saps hp.
    It is an attractive enough car, but it doesn't have class leading performance in any category.
    Except for styling(subjective), the 300C will offer advantages over the 300M in EVERY category.
    I think you guys should wait to see these cars in person before you make final judgement . I have seen them and sat in the 300 . At first when I saw pics I was like HHHMMM. But after touching and seeing them , out of this world . My next car will be a LX . Maybe I will wait till the release the 6.1 HEMI

another story on the LX

http://www.cars.com/news/stories/100703_storya_cc.jhtml?page=stor- - - y&aff=national

the silver 300 is a beauty .
    They're finally making progress on the 300C's webpage. Everyday I stop there for
    a "look-see", eagerly awaiting any information on it. The link is:

http://www.chrysler.com/300series/index.html?context=homepage&amp- ;type=promo2

I do hope, (maybe pray also), that Chrysler does a better advertizing blitz on the
    the 300C, that they failed to do on the Pacifica.
    would claim that the 300M has "class leading performance in any category". What it offered was a combination of style, size, luxury, performance and value that was not available in any other vehicle at the time. With the exception of possibly styling and value, the rest of the configuration was not class leading.

With the weight and boxy styling of the 300C, it will not "offer advantages over the 300M in EVERY category." - especially with a base 2.7 litre engine. In fact, it doesn't even appeal to a 300M owner.

BTW, my "vehicle that has an incredibly inefficient automatic transmission that saps hp." achieves extraordinary high end (50 to 80 mph) acceleration times and yields 26.5 MPG @ 75-80 mph on 200 mile highway runs.

Is it a perfect car? - no. Has it been improved since the first year? - no, at least not performance wise. But with the 2.7 and 3.5 litre engines and its 4000 lbs. of bulk, the 300C is a step backward. And the hemi option will just make it a faster boat.