Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I know. Besides driving the cars and hanging out with cool folks, I'm overwhelmed that we're staying at the Bellagio! And going to see Cirque du Soleil; they are a favorite of mine! First class, all the way!

Bob
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    I don't know if this has been posted yet but here it is....

Base Legacy $27,995
    Base Legacy GT $36,495
    Legacy GT Loaded $41,795
    Add $1000 for a wagon

Outback $32,995 to $44,995 (depending on engine)

As per the Toronto Star, May 8, 2004

In case you are wondering, the MSRP on a STI: $46,995
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Thanks for the info Patti! Did you get to drive any?

Bob: Cirque is nice, but try Blue Man Group for something different. I saw them way back in NYC and it was great.

Ken
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yep, Blue Man Group is cool too. That's another act I would love to see.

Bob
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Sorry, off topic but- In Vegas last summer I saw two shows- Sigfried and Roy and the comedy show at the Flamingo. Initially, I was pissed at paying $111 to see the lion tamers, but now, it seems unfortunately worth it. I digress. The improv comedy at the Flamingo was only $33 and it was far and away the funniest thing I have ever seen.

I wish I could join you for even just the leisure part! Please post any and ALL impressions regarding the new Legacy as soon as time permits.

And thanks, Patti!

Pzev- I still dont really understand your interest in this car, given that youve stated you have no need at all for AWD in the region in which you live. Why bother with the added weight, complexity, and fuel consumption if it's unnecessary? The Accord will likely Trump a base Legacy 2.5i in acceleration, will certainly nail it in value, resale, and-side airbags and curtains will be standard for 2005. Dimensions on the Accord make it roomier too, although theres definitely something to be said for actually being in the car. Significant improvements to the 2005 Camry as well, which will aid quickness and fuel economy, as well as interior appointments.

~alpha

PS- Since this thread is soon to be closed, which of the existing Subaru/Legacy threads would be the best to find up-to-date information and partake in similar useful, fun, civil... discussion? Anyone any thoughts?
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    Patti,
    Thanks for sharing!

How about the GT and GT Ltd. wagon weights? And mpg for them as well.

Thanks!
    -Ian
  • bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    30 mpg for the 2.5i Legacy wagon is awesome. This car is going to be so cheap to run, and an overall steal at $22k. Can't wait to test-drive it, hoping for plenty of trickle-down niceness from the GT! :-)
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I join in the question. For those of us who want to discuss the new Legacy AND Outback, where do we go so we all go together?

I really wish Edmunds would reconsider its decision to close this thread.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    because I am seriously considering the one for $18,500 at Fitzgerald. I couldnt believe how my legs (Im 6'-2") were rubbing against the bottom of the steering wheel. At first i thought the telescoping wheel was in its lowest position so I tried to raise it. Nope, thats as high as it will go. The seat was at its lowest setting (height wise) as well (it was a limited). Oh no. I sat in a Forester XT and it was much better (driving position wise). Oh no. Dont know what Im going to do. I cant afford the XT, not sure how I will feel about a non Turbo Forester. To me its like getting an Impreza RS. Im also corss shopping the Element and the Vue. Looking for something with utility and less than $20k.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    ok, a few things:

mileage - ouch! am i the only one who thinks that GT mileage is a bit harsh? OK, I hate to bring up this vehicle again, but it is in the garage, so its my best basis of comparison. Our Pilot gets 20 mpg combined, has a 240 horse V6, AWD, and weighs in at a whopping 4400 lbs. So the GT has a similarly powered 4 banger and weighs over half a ton less but only achieves about 1, maybe 2, mpg better?? AND it requires premium?? Am I getting all those details right?

host - i thought threads were just moved and not actually closed? I seem to recall that is what has been done in the past. Am I remembering incorrectly?

juice - We skipped the NAV on our Pilot and I sort of regret it. I thought I could get by with a laptop and GPS with software. Man, was I wrong. Its incredibly inaccurate, difficult to use, and can't seem to find its way out of a paper bag. Of course, I'm sure there are better aftermarket setups out there, but how much money do I end up spending until I find the right one? We also have an aftermarket moonroof (your testimony was definitely an influence on that decision). I will gladly admit that it is much nicer than anything I've seen from the factory in any vehicle, but anybody who really looks at it can tell that it was not originally built into the car. So, appearance-wise, it falls a bit short. I won't get into that whole stopping for directions thing. Honestly, although I can sometimes be a typical male, I wouldn't mind doing that if I could rely on finding someone who speaks clear English and actually knows what they are talking about even 10% of the time. Ugh! I've said too much already. See what you did?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Mileage seems a bit harsh but my prelude averages 25 mgp with 200HP and around 160lb/ft of torque. Also remember that the GT is geared agressively, initial estimates put it 0-60 at around 5.5 sec. I think it would be more of a fair comparison to put the GT against something like a g35 when comparing MPG.

On a side note. I just read some driving impressions from nasioc.com which says the GT is like a "Poor man's M5". Steering is supposedly razor sharp and stability is better than
    the WRX at hwy speeds. This is what I've been looking forward to. I really can't wait to test drive now : )
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Note to self: Flamingo is funny and cheap. Thanks.

Purdue: I'm ready to pick you up at the airport, just gimme the green light. I actually even spoke to my salesman about it, he said they'd prep it for you in advance. Just decide soon because they're not making any more 2004s, so the selection will start to dwindle.

Good news on the mileage, all are better than I thought. 19/25 is great, 2mpg better than the Forester XT in a heavier and bigger package. Impressive.

23/30 makes the 2.5i much more competitive in terms of mileage. That's also a big improvement.

May I make some suggestions for folks to move discussions to certain topics?

Legacy & Outback: under wagons, this can be the basic topic for these cars.

Suggestions to Subaru: this is the topic for the "wish lists", go at it, knock 'em dead, ask for the sky.

Subaru Crew (several threads): go there for general discussions, this area is mostly for owners but not necessarily limited to owners only

This is a passionate thread, the discussions for the most part were civil, yet hotly debated. I think that's great. Join us in the other threads, folks!

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    If you think your Pilot gets good mileage for the power take a look at the Corvette. EPA 19/28 with 400 hp. Even Chevy Malibu with the same size engine as the pilot gets 23/32 (of course it is lighter and less powerfull).

I am pleasantly surprised by 23/30. That puts it right up with the Passat 1.8t (fwd). While I really like the 26/34 of the Accord, they make no wagon. The Subaru is now officially on my list - now if they brought over a diesel, then that would seal the deal. : ^ ).
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    I think I need to accelerate the saving of my pennies, the Legacy GT wagon will have me leaping off the "What Subaru for me fence."

-B
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    How did Subaru manage to make the wagons weigh less than the sedans? I have never seen this to be the case for any other manufacturer.
    Also, does anyone know the weight for the Outback XT?
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    From Patti

Curb Weight - Legacy
    Legacy - 2.5i Sedan Manual/Auto. 3200/3245
    2.5i Ltd. Sedan 3265/3310
    2.5 GT Sedan 3300/3365
    " " "" Limited 3365/3435

Wagon: 2.5i 3255/3300
    2.5i Ltd - 3335/3380

Curb weight - Outback
    2.5i 3310/3355
    2.5i Ltd /Wagon 3365/3410
    2.5XT Ltd. Wagon - 3415/3480
    VDC 3630
    LLBean 3600
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    Thank you for the information, Patti. Very interesting and helpful.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    weights are pretty close. Some people tote around more than that in fast food wrappers and assorted crap stuck under the seats.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    that's definitely a good point that its not too far off the mark when compared against other sporty sedans. But I would have to put it in the crowd with the Maxima instead of the G and with the Accord instead of the TL (although you can't get an accord sedan with a stick, so that forces you to the TL). The 6-speeds in those cars, however, helps the manual versions a good deal (20/29 in the Max and 20/30 in the TL). So figure about 24 and 25 combined, respectively. Versus about 22 in the Legacy and you get AWD to boot. So, you're right, against others of its ilk, its not that bad. And it brings it right in line with the G35x (automatic only).

I guess I just wasn't looking at it the right way. I want my sports sedan with economy, too. I'm just too greedy. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I also wish MPG was up consider gas prices are hitting over $2 bucks a gallon here. I guess it's a price to pay for performance, ack! I did see the corvette comparison. I would consider a 4-door corvette. Chevy, are you listening???
    Swampy: my curb weight is strictly classified! :o)

Accord's 26/34 is phenomenal, but keep in mind to get a wagon you have to step into a CR-V. Interestingly, that uses the same 2.4l engine, and they get just 21/25!

That makes Honda's 2.4l wagon seem like a gas guzzler compared to the Legacy 2.5i or the base Outback (a legit alternative to the CR-V).

As a matter of fact the CR-V's numbers are closer to the Legacy GT!

-juice
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Does anyone know how large the fuel tank is on the new Legacy? I guess RANGE might also play a part in the MPG issue, if the MPG's are low, did they at least give the car a large tank so you don't have to fill up every other day?
  • moutbackmoutback Member Posts: 39
    I'm shopping for the 2005 Legacy/Outback in the near future and I'm sure I'll be pressed to buy extended warranty when I do buy. What are your views about its value? I bought a 2000 Outback with 6yr/60K extended warranty, and I thought it was worth it. But I'm not sure this time.

Thanks.
    I don't know the US specifications for the fuel tank but the australian Legacy holds ..

64 liters == 16.9 gallons

approximate estimate ..
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    purduealum - I am 6 foot 4 and Subies are a tight fit. The Forester XT is the best so far for me. Impreza wagon is good too.

Observation - models with manual seats seem to work the best. Power seats and moon roofs seem to eat up height.

Here is hoping new Legacy GT has some room. bigelm sat in one (he is also tall) and said it was pretty good.

Honda Element has tons of room in front and back but lacks the fun of the Subaru turbos.
    16.9 gallons sounds about right, that's the same as now. With 30 mpg highway that puts range at a very good 507 miles. I'm not sure anyone has that kind of stamina to outlast that.

Useful range (fill up soon after the low fuel light goes on) might be more like 450 miles, still very good.

The turbos will have 422.5 mile range on trips, probably safe range of 360 miles or so.

moutback: it is a new model, FWIW, any v1.0 is more risky.

-juice
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Let me get back to you tomorrow about where you new Legacy/Outback enthusiasts should gather.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• radianradian Member Posts: 21
    It's a v1.0, but it's not all v1.0s are as risky as others. For example, the Nissan Titan and Armada:

- Largest platform ever built by Nissan
    - Not an interation of a previous platform
    - First versions of platform arrive in US
    - New Nissan engine
    - New Nissan plant

Whereas the Legacy/Outback:

- New version of existing platform
    - First versions available in Japan for around a year; Europe and Australia for at least 6 months
    - Engines modified versions of previously used engine (2.5T in STi and FXT)
    - Built in Lafayette, IN where previous Legacy/Outbacks were built

So obviously the risk is reduced for a v1.0 in Subaru's case. For a much riskier Subaru, see the 7-passenger next year.

Doesn't mean there isn't risk with the new Legacy and Outback. The thing I'm worried about most is the transmission, but I haven't heard about many problems with the FXT (the closest comparison).

Then again, I had only 1 minor problem with my 2002 OBS (driver's side window failed - fixed under warranty), so I'm probably biased to not worry as much.
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    wait - while he's waiting to jump off that fence!!

I don't have the tank capacity on any of the "stuff" I brought home, but I'll check tomorrow and post in the evening.

Patti

PS - thanks for sharing my enthusiasm about this car. I'm psyched! Just the electronic set up alone (with various system reads, codes ability to be displayed on the trip odometer, etc.) will set this car apart. It's not just about the AWD and other proven technology - it's a safe car that's wonderful to look at, drive and own. I know I sound like a homer - but those of you who have known me via these boards for awhile may notice - I don't think I've ever been this excited about one of our cars!
    Patti,

That's some major endorsement coming from you, especially the earlier comment about 5EAT being smooth and fun to drive.

I even stopped by my local dealer to check on when the GTs are coming in.

I'm faaaaalllllliiinnnnnnnggggg!

Ken
    So when did the local dealer tell you the GT's WERE coming in?????

:)
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    on a VERY smooth and comfortable landing - in a new Subaru!

Patti
  • tlimatlima Member Posts: 124
    Ok, merging onto I95 N today in Rhode Island, and low and behold, an '05 Outback cruising along side. License plate was a RI plate, but had the letters M.E.D vertically along the left side and a low number. I assumed it was a Doc or something, but maybe M.E.D. stands for something else. It was not a dealer plate.

Anyway, the guy driving noticed me looking as I passed in my '01 Forester, he then came around and passed me on the left. It was a silver metallic with only the words Subaru and Outback on the back. No dealer insignia or hideous dealer plate frames.

Looked nice, very sleek, and kinda small. It was tall, with the suspension rods angling way down towards the wheels. Lots of ground clearance here. Looks a little Volvo-ish - which can be seen from the pics here and there.

From checking this forum, I didn't think they were out for sale yet, but maybe I missed it.

Awaiting the sedans....
    I was told early June.

Ken
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Told early to mid June at my local Soobie dealer in Norwood, MA.
  • iluvsubaru2iluvsubaru2 Member Posts: 56
    Patti, Juice, etal (and any tall 2005 OB owners):

I've had a yearning for the OB VDC ever since I drove one, years ago. Unfortunately the MANDATORY moonroof made comfort, let alone crash safety, an insurmountable problem to buying one.

I've seen photos of the 2005 OB and it appears to have a "hump" in the roof. Is there more headroom in the 2005 OB vs 2004?

Absent more headroom in 2005 will Subaru USA at last decouple this valuable safety feature from the moonroof by making the moonroof optional in the OB VDC? Appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Jake (a 6'4" Forester owner)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    We're editing the title and moving this entire discussion to the Subaru Crew board.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    and Im not even considering an 05! Considering an 04 Outback I am.
  • magoonmagoon Member Posts: 32
    My local dealer is scheduled to receive a silver GT Ltd 5 speed on May 17. I ordered it early but will not be taking delivery though. I bought a Volvo S60R instead.
  • bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    New England dealers have had the Outbacks and Legacy 2.5i's for almost two weeks now. But I don't think they're allowed to sell. Must've been a dealer-owned car.
    Dealers have the 2.5i models. No turbos spottings yet, though.

The new ones do have more head room. Here's me in the back seat of a sedan with a moonroof, I'm 6' even:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288069365&p=4194565477- &idx=47

-juice
  • iluvsubaru2iluvsubaru2 Member Posts: 56
    Juice,
    Thanks for the link to your photos. They suggest a couple inches more of headroom over the 2004. Does that sound right? That might get me into a 2005 OB VDC. Any idea if the moonroof is mandatory on VDC?

Earlier postings on this board (re: VDC on more trim lines, models) express similar frustrations I've experienced trying to buy a Subaru with VDC. Why, I wonder, after all these years, is VDC still only offered on one trimline. Many Subaru wannabes are now offering AWD sedans, wagons (and God knows what else in 2005) and some have stability control options across all model lines.

Safety sells. Foresters prove that. But Subaru's improvements in crash protection arn't matched by similar improvements in collision avoidance. Subaru seems to be leaving the market to others.

Jake
    PS: Pleased to see 2005s offer Side Air Curtains. Half of all the traumatic brain injuries occur in auto crashes. If well designed and executed, side curtains with large SABs offer a lot of protection from TBI. Hope 2005s get early IIHS/NHTSA reviews.
  • vincentwangvincentwang Member Posts: 42
    I'm considering a 05 legacy, seems both have similar MPG. Why?
    I only test drived the 04AUTO, it's smooth. How about the maunal one? I have no idea which one will be more durable in long-trem.
    Thanks in advance!
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    The similar MPG in the auto vs manual is due to the higher axle gearing in the MT version. At highway speed the MT is forced to rev higher (3,500 RPM at 75 MPH) than the auto version (around 3,000 - 3,100 in the auto, IIRC)

Why Subaru uses the higher ratio in the MT is beyond me. Fuel economy and highway cruising would be greatly improved with a lower ratio.

My top wish for the 2006 MT models - lower axle ratios and a MT transmission with a wider low-high range. OK, make it a 6-speed too.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I knew the current Legacy was made in US. Some said the 2005 will be made in Japan but some said it will be built in US.

I checked Edmunds and it said it will be manufactured in Japan ? If it is the case, it is a plus.

Usually, how much rebate or incentive we can get from Subaru (of course not in the first year) ?

Thanks.
    Outbacks AND Legacies for the US/Canadian market are made in Lafayette, Indiana.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I also wish a 6 speed was available. Except it seems like many manufacturers make 6th gear where 5th was to eeek out a couple of tenths to 60. I think they percieve shifting down at highway speeds a huge weekness, so they don't like tall gears in "sporty" cars. A corolla is about 2,900 rpm @ 75, hence its EPA 40 mpg highway. TSX is about 2,100 @ 60 for the automatic, but 2,600 for the 6-speed. Hence the automatic gets better highway mileage. The Miata 6 speed is 3,000 at 60, so it gets worse highway mileage than some V-8's.
  • mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    I own a 2004 Legacy 5 spd manual. When the '05s come out, I'll be getting the auto. I really dislike the manual. It is geared way to LOW (HIGHER numerically axle ratio). At 70 MPH, the engine is turning 3,000 RPMs.

I just checked my gas mileage (ran through about 10 tanks) and got 30.5 MPG (primarily highway - between 65 - 70 MPH), so gas mileage isn't too bad considering the low gearing.
  • pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    Cool pictures posted on subaruoutback.org, follow links to forums/general/2005 US Leg and OB models...

Not sure I am allowed to post a link

JP