Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major daily newspaper is writing a story about collision damage insurance, and is looking to talk with drivers who have run into deer or moose. "In most states, such an encounter is not covered by comp. or collision damage insurance; you need special coverage. I want to talk to people who have had these collisions and learn how they handled them. Likewise, I'd also like to hear from people who were involved in some other sort of incident involving their auto and found out that insurance they thought they had was not there." Please respond no later than Monday, June 3 to paudel2001@msn.com and/or jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks as always!

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mtnmikemtnmike Member Posts: 100
    Man I can't believe this string is still going. I last posted here almost two years ago and was in on the begining of this topic. I have been driving my 2001 SCREW since Sept of 2000. What a fantastic truck. Well I just ordered a new 2003 SCREW with an anticipated delivery date sometime in the first week of September. Used the same dealer and got the same great deal; that is I paid invoice for the truck. I am going to really miss my first SCREW (have a buyer for $27,500 WOW);but I know I'll love the second one just as well.
  • jfowlerjrjfowlerjr Member Posts: 20
    Were you able to order the new 5.4 liter when you ordered yours?

James
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    What will be the changes for the 03 supercrew? What is different about the NEW 5.4 liter, is it going to be better. I will be buying a supercrew towards the end of this year. I was going to get an 02 harley but not if the 03's are out. I hope they make the harley's for 03, anyone have any info, and anyone know when the re-designed 04 will come out??? thanks
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    from what i've read the 5.4l doesn't get an upgrade in power/torque until late '03 for the '04 model year. changes for the '03 supercrew are mostly cosmetic like paint colours, etc...don't know anything about the new '04s...
    I ordered the 5.4L and was unable to find out at the time of order if that is the 5.4 2 valve or the new 5.4L 3 valve. I had read the 2003's were possibly going to have the new 5.4L 3V's but even my dealer had very limited information. So honestly I really don't know. I'll have my DORA for the 2003 Screw next week and may be able to tell from that. Actually I have been more than happy with the torque and performance of the 5.4L 2v in my 2001 Screw; so anything better will be a bonus.
    This link would lead one to believe the 2003's will have the new 5.4L 3v engine and a different tranny; but who really knows.There is very little info out there on the 2003 5.4L Screws.

http://www.bonforums.com/trucks/f_20035.htm

i think blueoval has their dates wrong on the 3v 5.4l engine. if the 3v were ready, the brand new '03 expedition would probably have it...but it doesn't. i'm pretty sure the 3v motor isn't showing up until next summmer or fall when the f150 series is updated.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    First , if you care for your truck your not going to put Penzoil or Fram filters in it, second
    synthetic motor oils are being changed as we speak. Amsoil is the only current 100% oil on the market, the other so called synthectic's are a mix of hydrocarbon and synthectic. That known, Amsoil is now considering changing to this mix also, and, to lower the price and be competive. If this happens there will be no longer a 100% synthecic oil available. This applies to the 7500 brand of oil. I'm not a dealer but do use Amsoil, and have to pay the $9.00 a qt for it. There is lots of talk about this and Amsoil needs to know this not not what people want. If that happens then were back to basic oils and its a crap shoot all over again, comments?
    Try this link then access Super Crew: However, this site does not give powertrain specifics:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/products/fleet_showroom/Light_Trucks.asp

isn't mobil1 also fully synthetic? i'm almost positive i read that somewhere...
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    Hey folks,

I'm guessing this topic has been covered in the previous thousand messages, but I'm wondering what people are getting for mileage with the Screws - either with the 4.6L or 5.4L engines. Interestingly enough, after searching the 5 local 'online' dealerships, I haven't found any 4.6L models yet. Is there that little demand for them? Anyway, I realize you don't buy these for fuel economy, but my Chevy-owning friend claims to get 18 mpg with his 5.3 Silverado - city/hwy mix. On the other hand, my Dodge-owning friend gets only 13 mpg with his '02 4.7L Quad Cab - city/hwy mix. At 15k miles/yr, that's about $500 difference in gas costs. Not mind-blowing, but enough to think about anyway. I'm just curious where Ford fits in.

Thanks for any input.
    I have had my 2001 Screw 4X4 since Sept of 2000. I average 19 mpg Highway and right about 14 mpg in town. That has been real consistent with the 5.4L engine. I live in Colorado so we are talking high altitude performance. I just ordered a 2003 and will be very happy if the mileage stays close to the same.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    Except for one brand, all synthetic oils are 'pure' synthetic. The one that is not, is created from reformulating conventional oil. The difference is mostly academic. Most people will not have a significant diference whether they use dino oil or synthetic, except in their minds. Penzoil is a fair dino oil and Fram makes a adequate filter. For most car/truck fans, that is not enough.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    We average high 15's to low 16's in our 2001 Super crew , 5.4, 2 wheel drive in a hi-way / city mix of driving.

Our 2000 Silverado 1500, 5.3, 2 wheel drive will average mid to high 17's driving the same route as the Ford.
  • jfowlerjrjfowlerjr Member Posts: 20
    Well I just bought a 2002 4.6 liter 2 wheel drive supercrew about a month ago and I can tell you that in the 2500 miles I've put on it that I averaged 18MPG right off the showroom. I expect it to increase after a few oil changed and couple thousand more miles.
    Just curious if anyone else on this board have a 2003 on order yet? When I went through this process for my 2001 Screw it was kinda fun to exchange info coming in from VOPC checks. Anyway have my DORA and will be doing the VOPC status check game again.
  • clarkkclarkk Member Posts: 2
    I really want a Super Crew, like the looks, the size, the utility. It seems to be perfect for my family of 5 that likes to camp. With the reintroduced incentives of cash back and 0% financing I decided it was time to act. Last weeked I took three test drives.

I loved the ride, loved the 5.4 engine, loved the space inside compared to my current Tacoma. But, I HATED THE SEATS. I went looking for a bench seat but the Ford design of making essentially a bucket seat next to a bench didn't work for me. I'm not a big guy, 5' 9" and 190, but the side bolsters wedged me in tighter than a cheap seat in coach class. In fact, it felt tighter than the bucket in my Tacoma. I want the F-150 for its size and room, and that includes the seat. I want to sit back a relax when I drive this thing, not feel like a sardine in a can.

Obviously I'm in the minority here, there are too many satisfied F-150 owners. But I'm not posting this just to complain. I really want this truck but I can't sit in that seat every day. Is there a solution?
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    I know what you mean about the seat, the go around is find one with the power drivers seat and lower the front of the seat until it's comfortable....then remember how you got there..
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I also am 5'9", 185. I don't have a problem with buckets or with a bench contoured like a bucket. I just could not, in 2-3 hrs. of driving and adjusting, get to where I was as comfortable as in my GMC. The smaller bed is fine with me, I hate how loooong the GM is. Especially the wheelbase on my GM X-cab. I wanted the 4 real doors. At the time I had a 3 door x-cab. But because of the seating comfort I had to go with another GM.
  • clarkkclarkk Member Posts: 2
    I couldn't agree more. My father-in-law has a GMC and the seat, a 60/40 bench, is perfect. But I want the short bed and the four full size doors since this will be a family car more than a work truck. Ford hit the sweet spot for me with the Super Crew but I won't be buying unless I can do something about the seats.
  • whalercatwhalercat Member Posts: 40
    The seats on my 2001 didn't fit me either. I recently upgraded to a 2002 F-250 SD CC 4x4 Lariat. It is superior in every way except gas milage. I get approx 2 MPG less with the same engine, 5.4.
    i have an '02 king ranch s-crew and i also have a love/hate relationship with the front seats.

i don't know why, but somtimes i hop into the truck and the seat seems perfect...then other times i get in and can't get comfortable no matter what i try. overall i'm okay with the seats but ford could do some work here in making the seats more accomodating...
    This shows what the engineers must go though to build seats that keep the higher percentage of ppl happy..

We own a 2000 Silverado with cloth buckets and the 2001 Super Crew with Pleather buckets.

I did not like the Ford seats at first. Now I like them better than the GM. I'm 5'8" and 175 soaking wet. My wife is slightly shorter.

The Ford's adjustable pedals really work well for us. My wife can move the pedals back and leave the seat where it is and she is real happy.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    Anyone have any clue what the 04 would look like and will they be coming out early summer in 03??
    No idea what they will look like! But from what I have read it will be the year the body style is changing. If past is any indication of future performance, production should begin in mid-July of 2003!!! I sold my 2001 Screw and have a 2003 on order so I will be looking at the 2005.
    hey guys, have a question for ya. are any of you experiecing driveline shudder/thunking when you stop, or take off from a stop? my '02 4x4 s-crew has been back to the dealership twice now to fix this problem, but so far no dice. the first time they lubed the slip yoke splines and that worked for about a week. the second time they replaced the yoke and driveshaft. that worked for about 2 weeks.

the shudder is most noticeable as soon as i take my foot off the brake at say a stop sign. it seems as if the driveline is binding up somewhere...and per my previous visits to the dealership it must have something to do with the yoke and or driveshaft. has anyone else experienced this and been able to fix the problem. does ford have subpar yokes and driveshafts? just looking for some answers... thanks.
  • ron104ron104 Member Posts: 7
    I just received the latest issue of Consumer Reports.Not that I believe everything I read, but I was a little unhappy with their review. In particular, they said they could not recommend the Supercrew because of the poor offset crash-test results(IIHS frontal offset-whatever that means). Does anybody out there know what this means since I was unaware that the Supercrews would behave any different than predecessors F150s which used to be the number 1 pickup that they recommended until the Tundra came out? What happened???In terms of their overall scores for pickups they rated them as follows(best to worse)in this order:Chev. avalanche, Tundra, Chev.Silverado 1500 LS,Dodge Dakota SLT crew cab, then Ford F150 5.4 XLT Supercrew, and finally Dodge Ram 1500 SLT-not too complimentary!!!!
    consumer reports is comparing apples to oranges. the only ford truck subjected to the offset insurance institue test was a supercab...not a supercrew. there are significant differences between the two. the main being that the supercrew has a B pillar between the front and rear doors, the supercab doesn't. for cr to assume that the supercrew would fair as poorly as the supercab in this test is poor jounalism and complete conjecture...!
  • cubster1cubster1 Member Posts: 11
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. Remeber when CR trashed the Troopers for easy rollovers and every other SUV was acceptable. Well, maybe I'm wrong but it seems there have been more 4Runners on their lids than Troopers. I have to agree with ron104, I don't think CR compares apples to apples. Hey, after all, they also test toasters and blenders.
  • the_dudemanthe_dudeman Member Posts: 1
    I have read so many postings about people ordering their new Screw. I have always heard the best time of year to buy off the lot is at the end of the year. I was wondering if there is a best time of the year to order a truck.
  • swampcollieswampcollie Member Posts: 87
    I am really surprised to see complaints about the seats.. I have a 2001 screw and find the seats very comfortable..I drove 870 miles on labor day and my back was just great... I have the bench type with the fold down storage/arm rest deal. my seats are manual... I am 6' even and weigh in at 195
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    the GM seats? It may just be that I'm so used to them, but before I traded my '99 for a 2001 I really wanted a "S'Crew", but couldn't get past the seating. Not just the seats themselves but the seating position. I just couldn't get as comfortable as my GM. Even with the adjustable pedals.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    I have my truck for over a year now, I have no complaints, they fit me fine and I'm 6foot and 220.
    Its a step up to the cab, but once I'm driving 300 miles+, I never had to correct my butt, the seats at first seem narrow, but if you notice.. that ALL race car drivers seats are narrow also, if your driving 500miles at 200mph a seat is most important. I came from a camary and a toy truck and the seats here beat them both. i'm a happy driver, but one thing thats creeping me out is...at 45mph the rear sounds a bit high pitched like the rear end did in my toy truck before I replaced the pumpkin. Not good at 14k miles. Anybody else??? I also notice it at 80mph
    my '02 s-crew has some rear axle whine around 50 mph. but i don't notice it much before or after that mph wise. i have kind of a love/hate relationship with my seats. sometimes i hop in and they feel great. then the next time i can't quite get comfy. don't really know how to explain that...especially since i'm the only driver.
  • suestevepatsuestevepat Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2002 SuperCrew Lariat (automatic transmission) just before Labor Day and noticed the same shudder you do just before the vehicle came to a stop when lightly braking from a slow speed. I took my truck in to the dealer yesterday and was shocked when they called today and said they called it in on the "Ford Hotline" and are going to replace the transmission! The truck only has 1500 miles on it. They said it was not because of a service bulletin but that Ford had made a design improvement that they thought would fix the problem.
    interesting...i'm waiting for a regional rep to come out and check my truck. it has been thunking since last spring and the local ford shop doesn't know what to do about it. let us know how your tranny swap works...!
  • swampcollieswampcollie Member Posts: 87
    this tranny problem is?.. if initially ok, are we good to go forever?.. man..im making some gentle low speed stops tomorrow.. and i know ill hear/feel somthing whether its there or not... in fact i think ill tell the dealer i do just to get it on the record.
  • suestevepatsuestevepat Member Posts: 4
    I wanted to give everyone an update on my shuddering stop problem. Ford replaced my transmission at the end of September and I haven't had the problem since. No other complaints. I love this truck!
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    I have a 2001 5.4 with just under 15000 on it.I never liked the way it sounded cold from the beginning but after recently putting 2700 miles on it in one trip and coming back to 20 degree temps I find when I start in the AM I get a very distinct tapping which gradually abates as the engine warms. anyone else with this experiance?
    suestevepat,

about two weeks ago ford put a new transfer case ('03) on my '02 supercrew 4x4 and that stopped my clunk too!! sounds like ford has some imcompatibility issues between their output shafts and slip yokes...
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    They offer more room, better styling (imo), and a softer ride.
    avalanche cab is definitely bigger than an s-crew...but omg ugly!! dodge quad rear seat is too uncomfortable despite the quad cab being slightly wider than an s-crew. i'll stick with my s-crew thank you!!
    I looked at an Avalanche and about puked. I have owned Gm for decades.

I would not own a Dodge truck or any Volvo if some else paid for it, so I own the 01 Super Crew and a 2000 Silverado x-tra cab.

I can't imagine a better riding truck for the size and GVW rating.

And no...... the Silverado does not shake, the engine does not rattle, it does not burn oil. In 3 years the truck has only been to the dealer for 3 recall items about trivial crap.

Tony
  • buckmaster1buckmaster1 Member Posts: 20
    Hey I have a nice one of these and its pretty solid feeling as a passenger vehicle and LIGHT DUTY hauler. But dont think the truck is a construction crew ready tower and hauler.Also don't go too big on a travel trailer either.Check the camping websites for tow vehicles and really no one is happy towing with these f150 crews. It is not a heavy hauler. An F250 or a GM 2500HD is a real working truck with big brakes and beefy suspension and killer tough frames. Especially the Chevy/GMC frame. The F150 chassis sucks compared to the even the GM 1500. I'm not making this up, just go look at the frame rails. It was the first thing I noticed when I traded my GM for an F150. Then I noticed the missing horsepower. Ford should have the 5.4 making 285+ hp to kick Gm's [non-permissible content removed]. Don't play the torque game with me I've owned both in 16 months-an 01 GMC 5.3 and an 01 F150 5.4. The Gm motor screams past the Ford evn when the Ford has aftermarket exhaust and intake nonsense on it.The Gm 6.0 Liter---NOW YOUR TALKING TORQUE!! With decent mileage for that power too !! I still have my Ford but I often drive other trucks and this is just the truth.
    they are two different things. I've had a couple of F-150 guys on various sites PO'd at me when I say my chevy will out pull my Ford Super Crew. Since I own both trucks I have a fairly good idea which truck pulls better. But , they are not gear'd the same in the tranny or rear diff.

Since I bought my first new truck in 1973 I have used a few trucks over the years.

It is true the Ford should be a bit better on the power. Ford has always been down on power for the most part. Of course people then point at the Power stroke powered truck.... it's not a Ford engine.

As pointed out... many people buy too light duty of truck. A friend had a 454 SS Chevy truck he pulled his travel trailer with. It sure had the power, but not the chassis for it.

With his 2002 2500HD chevy, now he is real happy and feels safer too.

Tony
  • cybernoypicybernoypi Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my 2003 F-150 SuperCrew w/ Off Road two days ago. I love it but my wife is having problem driving it because it's too big for her. She scratched it pulling in the driveway. Any suggestion on how to teach her how to handle this baby?

Another question, after scratching the truck, she pulled the key out while the shift was still on the drive. The anti-theft signal on the panel is blinking when truck isn't running. Any suggestion of getting rid off the signal or I should just take it to the dealer?
    It's me again. I don't know if you guys are paying too much on your insurance. When I bought this baby. My agent quoted for $2023 annual premium with multi discount, no accident, speeding in 1999, I basically have a good driving. I don't know if that is too much. Anyone paying less or more than $2023 for their supercrew?
    for an '02 king ranch s-crew 4x4 i pay $330 every six months for very good coverage...have a clean driving record and no multicar discount...but i also live in the boonies.

cyber,

why did your wife even try to pull the key out with the truck in drive???

btw, the blinking theft light in the dash display is normal. both of my s-crews and a 99 ranger displayed this behavior...must be normal.
    emale,
    Thanks for the theft signal info. you're right, the blinking is normal when engine isn't running. I looked it up in the manual.

Wow, that's pretty cheap for $660 premium annualy. Does your insurance sell coverage nationwide? I'd like to give them a call.
This discussion has been closed.