Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tripeltripel Member Posts: 12
    nice deal.

I used Truecar and it connected me to 3 dealers with listed prices below MSRP, but after an annoying series of exchanges it became apparent they didnt have the exact model I was looking for and were less than specific in replying to my specific requests. One guy did offer this:

$28900 +
    tax +
    $195 doc fee +
    $7.50 tire fee (NJ residents only)

but I assume tax is 8%(?), so that is still 31.4K or so, more than I'd ideally like to spend. I may still do it (he's pushing for end of month Oct) ...but also may wait until after the Winter. No burning urgency on my part and I figure prices will likely go down...
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    edited October 2011
    Purchased from Camelback in Phoenix. Great staff (VERY different from an awful experience I had there 7 years ago), great price ($32,500, ab $1000 under invoice!), OK price on trade in (they won't honor KBB prices). Everything done via email, even out-the-door pricing, so there were no surprises at all when I walked in. I have the Nav/moonroof, k/h stereo (awesome!), bluetooth (just ok quality), ipod interface (a little odd but getting used to it). Hasn't rained here in three months, and of course it did on the way home ;) Gas mileage is impressive so far, but not too accurate (18-30:). They put nitro in the tires...jury's still out on that, now that we have slightly cooler temps. Not sure what else to add...ask me!

-Karen in AZ-

PS: this is Subie #5 for me!!! I've averaged ab 95k miles on the first 4!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good to hear from you, Karen. Which 5 have you had?

I know there's a Forester and a Tribeca among them, right?

Congrats and stick around to let us know how you like it!

(juice - remember me?)
  • kiltmankiltman Member Posts: 67
    I've used Truecar before and it is for real. The car my wife was interested in was a Rav4 4x4 LTD. Nobody in my area could touch the deal shown on Truecar so I sent the email and the dealership that responded was 3 hours away. It took him some time to find the color we wanted and when he did, it had a few other options on it. The price was the same as when you added the options on the truecar website. We could have waited till another was found without those options but most of the ltd's were being shipped with them. Also when he "found" it, it was in route from the factory to a dealership in the next state. So it worked out for us.
    Hi, AJ! Great to hear from you! I traded my beloved '06 Tribeca for the newest OB. #1 was a white '92 Legacy, #2 was a red '99 Forester, #3 was an '05 OB (but alas too small, no leg room) which I traded a year later for #4, the '06 Tribeca. The new OB (#5 :)) has as much leg room and almost as much cargo space as the 'Beca, plus I can finally get away from premium gas and have bigger tank to boot. Got 27.6 mpg on a recent first trip to the mountains, including switchbacks, etc., no freeways, but paved roads all the way. Totally impressed with the smooth ride, too!

Happy Trails!

-Karen in AZ-
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited November 2011
    Hi Karen, great to hear from you again—and congrats on the new ride.

Don't know if you have an iPhone, but if you do I'd be interesting in knowing as to whether your phonebook will upload on to the Bluetooth. In the past you couldn't do it with Subaru, however, I just drove the all-new '12 Impreza with NAV/Bluetooth, and was able to do so. So I'm wondering if this upgrade also made its way over to the '12 Legacys and Outbacks with NAV/Bluetooth.

Bob
    Hi, again, Bob. Great to hear from you, too. I have messed with the phonebook a bit (I have an iPhone 4) but haven't figured it out yet. The instruction manual is ungodly complicated, but I have a few tricks I haven't tried yet. I'll work on that this week :)

-Karen in AZ-
  • bouldersubarubouldersubaru Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just curious -- what's your buyback price? Is that the 51% residual value? I'm trying to find out how to determine, roughly, what people's buy back values are. I'm looking into buying a used Subaru and many folks are selling their leased vehicles and want to in essence have me pay the bank our agreed upon price, then the bank gives the difference to the original lease owner. Knowing that their buy-back price is, say, $17,000 vs. $22,000 would make a big difference in how I negotiate. But hard to find info anywhere about what a buy back amount could be for a 2009 or 2010. Any advice?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The phonebook uploaded pretty quickly and easily on the '12 Impreza (NAV/Bluetooth), which this year has an all-new NAV unit. I too have an iPhone 4. Hope you can figure it out, and get a happy answer. :)

Bob
    Bob...I tried the phonebook download again this morning after upgrading my iphone 4 to ios 5...still doesn't work. Haven't had time to apply a couple of tricks I want to try, though. I will keep trying :)

-Karen-
  • nusubaruchicknusubaruchick Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2012 Subaru Outback last week and got a great deal at Barber Subaru of Ventura. When I started looking for an Outback about 3 weeks ago I was hoping to scoop up a 2011 and cash in on the year end deals. However, there was not that much inventory in S. California, and I while I was offered some great deals via True Car,they were in Bakersfield, Long Beach and Sherman Oaks and I did not really want to drive up to 200 miles to look at a car that may have been bought by someone else by the time I got there. I went into Barber Subaru with my price quotes and John French, the dealer I spoke with, stated "We will not lose a sale due to price" and then gave me a quote that was about $400 less than one of my True Car estimates. The 2011 was not on the lot, so he located one in the color I wanted and had it brought up here (the deep ruby pearl color) and gave me a price of $24,000 for a really basic 2011 model (I decided not to go for all of the bells and whistles so we could pay cash). Later that evening he called and said "That car sold, but I can give you a 2012 with Bluetooth for the same price. We immediately said "Yes!". The next day our new, gorgeous car was on the lot. We got out the door with taxes, registration and everything for around $25,700. I am not so sure that we would have gotten such a great deal if we had been originally looking for a 2012, but I thought it was wonderful that even though we got a newer car than we were originally hoping for, he stuck to the agreed upon price. It was a pleasure working with that Dealer from start to finish, I must say.

I LOVE this car. It is so comfortable and looks so sharp. My friends have a 14 year old Outback with 150,000 mi. on it and have had very little trouble with it (no major mechanical issues), so I hope to be driving this gorgeous car for a long time. I was really glad that I did not have to drive all over Southern California in my 11 year old Nissan Altima looking at cars and risking a breakdown, as it has also been very sound mechanically but is probably nearing the end of it's perfect mechanical record at 120,000 mi.
  • skyiceskyice Member Posts: 21
    When I was still enjoying my 2011 outback 2.5i limited purchased in April 2011, I received 2 recall letters a couple days ago, one for windshield wipe (WVW 32) and another for moonroof (WVW 33). Although they are two small problems, I felt disappointed to see the recall letters as I always believe Subaru was one of the most reliable cars. Maybe it is because outback was manufactured in the States rather than Japan.

I don't know if there will be more problems in the future. Who knows...

Why nobody mentioned it in the forum?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    This is the Prices Paid discussion... have you taken a look at the other Outback discussions?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

How "basic" of a car was it?
    Any base model Outback in my area (MI) has at least the alloy wheel pkg, plus a few others such as cargo net, and rear bumper cover.
    I have yet to see one without these "options".
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • jk894jk894 Member Posts: 5
    What's the dealer holdback on the 2012 Outback? Are there any other "hidden" incentives for the dealer?

I have a quote on a 2.5i Base with the alloy package that is about $800 under invoice, the MSRP is $26,371. I also have a quote on a 2.5i Premium that is about $730 under invoice, with an MSRP of $27,708.

I'm wondering if the dealer has more room to negotiate or if this is getting close to a true cost.

Thank You.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Well, you're definitely into the dealer's holdback at that range, so you're getting a great deal either way. True cost to the dealer is probably right at $1,000-1,100 under invoice, and you can get one for that price if it is a high-volume dealer that gets other factory incentives, but their not really making any money on the sale itself.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • gattitogattito Member Posts: 3
    We bought a new Outback Premium 2.5 two weeks ago for $24,395, including the destination fee, in the Chicago area. That was the initial price quote we got from the dealer via the internet/truecar after we submitted our request for internet pricing. They didn't have the color we wanted on hand, but they found one and delivered it to their lot for the same price. Other dealers were will reluctantly willing to match that price, however, they would have required us to choose from their inventory and pay for whatever options were already installed, like puddle lights.
    2012 Outback Premium with the all-weather package and auto-dimming mirror with compass.
    Wow, that is a great price gattito! $600 below dealer cost according to truecar's site. The best truecar price I can get for the same thing is $25,655, and that is 200 miles away from Detroit!
    It must have been a good price because the other dealerships that were willing to match that offer have stopped contacting me about buying a new car. Other offers were coming in at a few dollars over $25,000, without the mirror. They charged us $100 for the mirror in the end.
  • walkingdeadwalkingdead Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a base model Outback for invoice plus tow package, splash guards, rear bumper cover and floor mats. We paid $25700 out the door. I hope I did ok.
  • car31415926car31415926 Member Posts: 6
    Just curious how you get to $600 below dealer cost? Can you shed some lights how you calculate it? Thanks!
    I am looking for a similar car, what's your price before TTL? Which state did you buy it?
  • walkingdeadwalkingdead Member Posts: 2
    I bought the car in Fredericksburg Virginia. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but it was about $24500. Dealer said it was invoice plus options.
    @car"pie"
    I used the truecar.com website based on the info that was provided. they provide you with MSRP, Factory Invoice, Dealer Cost ,as well as average paid. All this is based on the options that you input.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks, kiltman and walkingdead!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is interested in talking with someone who has bought a car, or intends to buy one in November 2011. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 18, 2011 and include your contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

We got our Outback in Bensenville, a Chicago suburb. $24,395 was our price before TTL and included the destination charge.
    edited November 2011
    Gattito, congrats on the purchase, that is a great deal! Is it automatic transmission? what's the MSRP and invoice price including destination fee?
    Mind sharing your quote for the 2.5i Base? Is it about 24k including destination? Which state are you from if you don't mind?

Thanks!
  • stinkfiststinkfist Member Posts: 1
    austin tx. 2012 outback premium AWP, had quite a few options, MSRP was around 27.8, got it for 25.7k before TTL, about 300 under invoice. good luck, it is an excellent vehicle!
    Thanks!

Just drove home a 2012 outback 2.5i with Alloy Wheel Package and CVT (also rear bumper cover and floor mats). MSRP is 26.5k, got it for 24.3k before TTL. Appreciate the feedback on this forum.
  • csquared2csquared2 Member Posts: 2
    Just ordered our new car! 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited (without moon roof or PVEZ) in white with Popular Package 1B (auto dimming mirror with compass and home link, floor mats, splash guard and bumper cover). Our out-the-door price was $28,626. By the way, my turn key price was less than the True Car price without ttl. I appreciated all the information from this forum to help me negotiate. Thanks!
    If you don't mind me asking what was your agreed upon price before TTL. These can vary by state, etc. Thanks
  • csquared2csquared2 Member Posts: 2
    I paid $27,250 which included the destination fee of $750.
    MSRP on it is $30,019
    Factory invoice is $28,039
    Dealer cost is $27,162
    I couldn't get another dealer to even talk to me once I got it to this price.
  • ksinpdxksinpdx Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just had a car quoted and want to know if it is a good price. True Car says it's a great price, but I'm not sure how acccurate this is. Quote was for a factory ordered 2.5i Premium CVT car for $28,366 plus taxes, and fees. It is a 2.5i Premium with a number of options and accesories. Options include All-weather, moonroof, auto-dim mirror with camera, puddle lights, body-side molding, splashgauards, cargo nets, and bumper cover, wheel arch moldings, trailer hitch, bumper underguards, side window deflectors, and hood protector. Supposedly, is about $500 under invoice for the car and options. I was also told it could take 3 months from factory. Is this about right? What have others paid for a nicely equipped 2.5i Premium. Thanks.
  • tripeltripel Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2011
    Seems like a great deal. It also seems to vary depending on where you are. Im in the NYC tri-state area and have had a hard time getting dealers to go down in price. Pretty much I've seen is getting the actual sticker price out the door (ie getting him down as much as the ttl cost.). 31k for a 2.5 limited with moonroof

EDIT -- sorry, misread this a limited, not premium. At 500 below invoice that's not amazing -- you should be about to do better. As above, if you can get out the door for their listing price (ttl included) then that seems good to me. Others agree?

Cheers
    Subaru has just lifted a "stop-ship" which was caused by a faulty master cylinder in the OB, Impreza, and Legacy built between 10/17 and 11/23 or so. Shipping should resume shortly so any buyers may want to wait till inventories have come up before venturing out to their dealerships. Better deals may be had if they end up being overstocked. I guess they had thousands on the lots in Indiana.
  • mrg1601mrg1601 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

We received a quote from a dealer for an outback 2.5i Limited with moonroof package.

MSRP: $31,706
    Dealer Offer: $29,300 including destination charge.

I'm a new buyer and I just want to know if this is a good deal.

Thanks,
    Lon
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    That's $500 under invoice, so yes, that's a good deal.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • achalachal Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Sounds like you got a good deal. I am also looking to buy a new Subaru Outback, hopefully in next two weeks. Can you tell me the name of the dealership you bought your outback from ?

thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They already had short supply, this is a mess. There goes 2011, pretty much. :sick:
    Not sure when exactly this started, late November anyways cause they caught it @ 11/23 or so. But they are shipping now, presumably with new master cylinders included for the dealerships to install. LOL So there will likely be a backup at the dealerships to get the part replaced depending on how fast they restock. Dealers in my area have 2 OB's "in transit" each. not very heartening!
  • KeerockKeerock Member Posts: 25
    Lon,

I picked up my 2.5 Limited with Sunroof package this morning. I paid a little more (~$150 more) than you did and I consider my price good but not great. Yours is closer to great :-)

I did pick up a 6/100k warrantee for $1200 with it. I think that was a decent price too. again not great but good.
  • achalachal Member Posts: 2
    As you said yourself, it seems the new Outbacks are getting shipped again along with the replacement parts that are going to installed before we get the car out of dealership.

I have been in touch with the dealers here in bay area. A couple of them are willing to give new outbacks at prices below invoice price and this is without me even starting to negotiate.

The prices look good, but it could be that Subaru is incentivising the sale of recall vehicles, but I don't know for sure what the deal really is.

Anyhow, if the replacement of master brake cylinders is not a big issue then this is a good time to buy an outback as they seem to be available cheaper.

What are your thoughts on this?
    I agree that this may be a good time to move on an OB. Depends on how picky you are in terms of selection. I have been looking at the base models but am thinking I should go for the premium with awp and HK stereo, as I plan this to be a long term vehicle. Was originally looking at making the move in early January after the Auto Show here in Detroit.
  • jpelletierjpelletier Member Posts: 12
    What would you venture the a good price below invoice should be on a leftover 2011 if I can locate one in my area? I'm not too picky about colors but I don't even know where to start. Many Thanks!
  • gumyounggumyoung Member Posts: 11
    Seems dealers started to offer below invoice price before negotiation (MA).
    My target is OTD below 27k for 2.5i premium w/ AWP, autodimm mirror, popular package #3.
    Don't know if there is more room to bargain in the last month of the year.
  • iyyiiyyi Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to share my deal with everyone. Just purchased a 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited with Power Moonroof. Has the power moonroof, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rear vision camera, homelink, puddle lights.

MSRP: $31,500
    Invoice: $29,066

Selling Price: $27,495
    Doc Fee $156
    Sales Tax: $2,560
    New Plates: $219

OTD: $30,430

I was a big fan of my dealer and sales person. They were non commission and I think the deal was pretty good.
    Wow, that's an insane price. @$700 less than dealer cost (according to truecar.)
    Good job!
  • jk894jk894 Member Posts: 5
    Congrats on the great deal. Was a trade-in involved?