Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
What did you pay for your new Impala?

Comments

• bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    As I mentioned in the owners club I'm not surprised but definitely disappointed
    that when pricing a car with an internet referral (carmax or www.digitalcars)
    there is such a variance in prices offered- appears vary with dealer- one tried to make me
    think that autoshow rebate and Chevy rebate come off of their profit! Then they have
    the nerve to call the next day and offer to come down to my price! It's really
    puzzling how in the year 2001 when it's fairly easy to find out what the dealer
    costs/ incentives / rebates/ holdbacks-etc are that a salesman can still try to
    take you for a ride. How about it?
    Okay folks- no other comments about your dealer expierences. Do we dare to
    name names? I am pleased with Sunrise Chev in Glendale Hts, IL and
    previously shared my agravation with Horizan in Naperville. It might help
    other future owners to know if you got a good deal as well as the type of
    service they are delivering. Larry Roesch in Elmhurst/Bensenville has
    previously given my daughter and a few friends the run around/poor service.
    No other stories to share?
  • lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    I recently had a favorable experience with the dealer where I am getting my service work done. I had to haave the front drivers seat back replaced and while there brought out the papers on the tsb about the rearl wheel liners. No problem they ordered them and will call when they come in. Said to allow an hour for them to install them and then handed me a new cap with the dealer name on it. Just thought I would pass this along.
    The dealer name is Gutberlet Chevrolet in McConnelsville, Oh.
    Oh I did not purchase the Impala there but still get the treatment we owners deserve and pay for.
    LRCobra
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    If you happen to live in the Miami, FL/Dade County area, I can highly recommend Dadeland Chevrolet, located on US1 (Northbound) right in front of the "Dadeland North" metro station and very close to nearby Dadeland Mall and Dadeland Station store complex.

Very good service and extremely customer oriented. This dealer has been on business a little over a year and has already become one of the best Chevy stores in the city.
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    I recommend Belisle Chev/Olds in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Nice people and a family-owned business since forever it seems. My family has dealt with them since 1968. Friendly people and here in Canada's Capital City, provides bilingual (English/French) service. Recommend them highly!
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I had a great experience with Garber Chevrolet in Midland, MI. Midland does NOT have a reputation for being a good place to get great deals. However, I found both a knowledgeable and courteous sales person AND an honest and forthright sales manager who laid out the REAL numbers before me and worked every reasonable way to get me a good price. OUTLANDISH!
    The car's been nearly perfect (A 2001 Torch Red LS) but I decided to take it in for a couple diddly things just to see how the service department works. So far so good...
    It's hard for me to believe that after all the garbage I had at several dealers
    there is not more opinion- yeah or neah on various dealer experiences.
    I always felt a great dealer and great service made a huge difference in
    where you chose to buy. Does it or not? Larger dealerships are often
    better known but also have a list of horror stories when you survey your
    friends and neighbors. No opinions folks?
  • swebcoswebco Member Posts: 5
    If you ever come to Nashville stay as far away from TEAM Chevrolet as is humanly possible. The deal was reasonable, but service after the sale has been torture.

I had the popping and clicking caused by engine cradle problems, but the service department "couldn't reproduce' the problem. (BTW, I didn't know that was what was causing the problem until I found all you wonderful and knowledgable folk here at Edmond's) When I was able to show them the information amazingly they could reproduce and fix the problem.

My rear window defroster couldn't defrost fog, amazingly, after my husband went in a pitched a fit, it still didn't have anything wrong with it, but now it works.

The airconditioning was blocked up and leaked all over the passenger side, flooding the mat,which had one of those trusty, industrial green file folders on it. It got soaked and bled all over the mat. I asked for a replacement, but the service anager says the stain isn't water damage.

Various lights, including the ABS, Check Engine, Traction Off lights have come on but there is never anything when they run a diagnostic.

The right front end makes a terrible noise, and there's nothing they are willing to do about it. They say it's the tire, not the car. I've changed the tires, and it's still noisy.

On and on, I've never taken this car in for warrantee service where I haven't gotten the run around, shuck and jive, and pat on the head. I really hate these people. Most of the stuff is minor, I love the car, but the guys are real trips.

Take care.

susan
  • newbie5newbie5 Member Posts: 25
    Just started shopping the Impala and here are three scenarios:

Dealer 1 - Rebate is $500 on Impala for term of AutoShow in NYC.

Dealer 2 - Rebate is $750 through the remainder of life on 2001 Impala.

Dealer 3 - No mention whatsoever on rebate. Actually quoted a price on a car I test drove but I was in just to get a feel if the Impala is a car I should consider. This specific car did not have the options I wanted nor was it the color I was looking for.

I believe Dealer 2 would be getting my business if I choose to go with an Impala!
  • kenbuzzkenbuzz Member Posts: 99
    There is a $750 dealer incentive running through October on the 2K1 Impalas. Your dealer #2 apparently chose to pass that along as a customer incentive. If you tell a dealer that you're aware of the incentive, they are more likely to offer it to you, but if you don't, they won't.
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    Hi all,

I've recently had some warranty work performed on my vehicle (2K Impala LS) and I've purchased and had service, at Champion Chevrolet, in Manhattan Beach, CA. I take my car there all the time because of the good service they have provided me. I read a lot of the posts on the Edmunds Town hall and discovered some of the problems others were having was the same ones I was. Especially in reference to the TSBs that are issued. The only place I've heard about any TSB on the Impala was from this "Edmunds" townhall website. I printed out a number of the posts and took them to the service dept. of above dealership and the service manager, Murray Mead, checked the car out and confirmed that yes, I was indeed experiencing some of the same problems. Anyway, the repair work was performed (replaced intermediate shaft, shim material, etc.) and I picked up my car yesterday. An additional warranty problem was noted, and that was that the track under my driver seat was loose (the service manager pointed this out to me) and he told me that they had ordered the part and would call me to have it put on my car once it arrived. I thought that was very helpful. It shows that that dealership really is concerned about the customer's complete satisfaction in the products they sell and it also shows that they actively take interest in the performance of the products they sell. I might add, the dealership also has a GM rep who regularly telephones me to follow up on work I have done to the car at that dealership. Her name is Lynne (I don't remember her last name), however, she is a delight to talk to and she intercedes on my behalf in making sure everthing is handled properly and to make sure that I am completely satisfied with whatever service I have performed on my car.
  • marcm101marcm101 Member Posts: 2
    I recently took my Impala to Radley Chevrolet in Fredericksburg, VA. I have nothing but good things to say about this place. They are friendly, courteous, and will actually take the time to go over any and all problems/repairs.

While my car was in the shop for routine maintenance, my wife and I were returning home from work in her car when it outright died. I called them, they promised to have my car ready (the shop is open until 9:00pm) and they sent a car to get my wife and take her back to get my car while I waited for my auto service tow truck. And we were about 15 miles away from the dealer.
  • joed56joed56 Member Posts: 27
    Let me tell all the members about my experience with the New Norris Chevrolet in Westfield, N.J. I was in the market for a 2001 Impala LS, black. I have always had black chevy's my whole life. I left a small deposit with the salesman who said he was 99% sure he could get me a black car. Within 24hrs he started singing a different tune. He claimed that he was'nt sure that he could get a black impala and that I should look for an alternative color. I was really devasted. He was trying to push red, green, white, silver and brown. Two days later another salesman said there was not a black impala within 200 miles of the dealership. He said that he checked his computer and could not find any. Needless to say, I did find a black impala. When I cancelled my order and demanded my deposit back, I heard another salesman scream in the background, "tell him I'll have 5 F'in black impalas on Monday". At that point I went bonkers and demanded to speak to that SOB. But he would not get on the phone. I hung up the phone. Five minutes later, the owners son called me back and apologized for the behavior of his salesman. I said it was too late and that I was through with his dealership. Let me ask the members, why do dealers play games? I mean, I really wanted to buy my car from Norris. But they really blew it. Can someone explain this to me?
    They play because they think they can win. The players don't realize that the
    victims have gotten wise and won't play anymore!
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    That seems to be the "Oldest Line" in the Book... There is not a car like the one you want within any given number of miles, I've even herd them say "there is not a Black Maxima SE on the East Coast" once when My friend was looking for a 5 speed Black Maxima back in '95. They get Pathetic, I always make a point to let them know that ""It is Easier for me to find ANOTHER Dealership than it is for Them to find another CUSTOMER" that seems to level it out a bit, But now I found a Great Chevrolet Dealer that doesn't mess around, the decision is up to the Customer, Now if they could rub off on their Service Department that would be great! Don
  • wwnfwwnf Member Posts: 40
    Dealers/salesmen like to make a few extra bucks anytime they can. They love to take advantage of buyers who don't know much about cars. Recently when my sister was looking for a used car a salesman tried charge her extra for alarm, keyless entry, and a few other things. The car originally already had this equipment and the saleman just turned off the alarm and kept the remotes in his desk. Always check the OEM on a used car. I have never seen a dealership that could be trusted.
  • Try posting that experience on the Inconsiderate Salespeople forum. You can see all the salespeople come out from under the floor boards, and point out that either it's OK to do that, or it was your sister's fault for not doing her research.
    There are a few honest pros that might agree with you, though.
  • dennisw3dennisw3 Member Posts: 17
    I just recently bought a 2001 base Impala. I had my sights set on the navy blue, but would have also been willing to buy one in black. I gave my list of desired options and color choice to the salesman and in 10 minutes he had a 3 page list of cars within dealer trading range of him. This was despite the fact that 2001s were already long out of production and we were dealing with remaining dealer stock. The only option I orignally had that I crossed off was the power seat because to get it on a base car you had to buy the $700 custom interior option, so I decided against it.
    I got a good deal, the $1000 rebate, and a very generous trade on my 1999 Taurus (always been a chevy man, the ford was a moment of necessity, i needed a car THEN).
    Smith Chevy in Hammond, IN is the dealer, ask for Larry Hill.
  • mdcainmdcain Member Posts: 1
    If you want good service from a QUALITY Chevy Store and you live in Southern California, then go to Lake Chevrolet in Lake Elsinore, CA. I've bought 2 vehicles from them and they get all of my service work too. Oh to be sure they created some minor problems, but they always fixed their screw up. That to me means that yet while they are human, they will do all they can to fix it right away and with a smile.
  • I recommend Billings Chevy in Milpitas. I got my '01 LS at Courtesy Chevy. So-so transaction. Terrible service. Then I decided to try Billings, the dealer near my office, and WOW what a difference!

I don't have that LS anymore. But, I thought I'd spread the good word. But, the guy that took over my LS says his daughter had a good buying experience there, so it seems like an all around good dealer.
  • macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    Took my 2000 Impala to Meyers Chev Olds in Ottawa for routine service today, because I was tired of the morons at Jiffy Lube and Mr. Lube telling me I needed all sorts of crazy repairs that weren't necessary, and tearing my car apart without asking first.

Myers is a well designed dealership. There is an indoor service area into which you drive and park your vehicle. The service rep sits at a desk right where you pull up and then you can organize what service you need. They offer free shuttle service so you can drop your car off in the morning and go to work while they work on your car. They have an excellent on site cafe where you can get free food Mon-Thurs and watch your car be serviced while you eat. They also have a body shop and rent cars.

The odo just turned over 80,000 km, so I had that service performed (power steering system flush). In addition, I asked for an oil change, and to change the engine air filter and passenger compartment air filter. Much to my surprise, they told me afterwards that both filters were not dirty and did not need to be changed. The service personnel are very knowledgable and don't jerk you around.

I did not buy my car at this dealership, but perhaps I will when it is time to buy again.
  • 2002ls2002ls Member Posts: 11
    Hi Folks: Took my 2002 LS in to Carter GM for the TSB re the "clunking steering". They lubed it, no fix, so they replaced the intermediate steering shaft without me even having to ask. Problem is now gone. If only it was this simple each time!

Steve :-)
  • tepst12tepst12 Member Posts: 8
    I bought my 2000 Chevy Impala Base used from Century III Chevy in Pittsburgh, PA.

I was able to get the vehicle for $10,900 plus tax, etc., etc. This was a year ago so that seemed to be a good deal at the time.

The dealership is very aggressive, but as you walk out the door from their ridiculous sales pitch their reality mode kicks in. I bought a Blazer from them as well and have been happy with the service.

The Impala had 25,000 miles on it. Today it has 46,000. I do a lot of highway driving so my car's mileage goes up quite a bit each year.

Problems? Other than my unhappiness with the 104 amp no real issues.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Bob Peck Chevrolet is a small dealership in a large metro area in business for 60 yrs. family run. Nobody believes what I paid for 03LS but I had the old GM card with lots of GM earnings. This and the Beyer Volvo dealership have been my best buying experiences but Impala is more reliable and better value IMO--this is a Chevrolet board, isn't it?
  • jbtoyjbtoy Member Posts: 1
    We bought an '03 Impala LS for my wife a couple weeks ago at Love Chevrolet in Seaside, CA. It was the easiest car buying experience we've ever had. There was absolutely no pressure.

Even before we got into the "little room" to discuss price and financing the salesman said "We'll work with some numbers and send you home to sleep on them." And they did. There was no pressure to sign that day. They even called the next morning with an even better deal which made the sale a no-brainer. In the end, after rebates, discounts, and trade-in we paid only slightly more for the Impala LS than we paid for my wife's Mazda 626 in 1995! And the Impala is a much better car.

We are really happy with the comfort, handling, and responsiveness of the Impala, and we love the service we got from Love Chevrolet.
  • triogemtriogem Member Posts: 32
    Nobody buy impala these years? Or nobody wanna share buying experience here? don't let the dealer rob us, let's talk.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    A salesman quoted me $500 over invoice and you also get $1000 rebate (or low financing from GMAC) on 2006 Impala.
    that will be invoice+500+tax+TTL-1000,right?
    and maybe some other fees. for me, the dealer ask for paint sealant($100) and consumer services($300).

BTW,which model did you quote?
  • garrynkygarrynky Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 Impala with the LT3 package on order. The only reason I didn't go for the LTZ was my wife doesn't care for leather interiors. The car is equipped with a sunroof, Bose speakers and the universal garage door opener. Invoice is $24,804. I bought it for $25,132. I think I could have bought it at invoice with a little more effort on my part. I get to keep the 1k rebate. Dealer says about three weeks delivery but I'm betting on more like 8 weeks.
    that's a very useful message,thanks for posting.

So you mean you paid $25,132-1000. totally? including everything?
    The total price was $25,132 minus $1,000 rebate equals $24,132. I will probably pass on the rebate making the total cost $25,132 and take the 3.9% financing. This doesn't include tag and tax which is around $1,750 in my area. Keep in mind the Chevy dealers get a 3% holdback off of MSRP so they did ok on the deal.

After ordering mine I saw another local dealer advertising the base LS model for $500 below invoice.
    Wonder if that price of $500 below invoice included the $1000 rebate from GM. Then, you are paying the dealer $500 more than invoice then the grand from GM results in the $500 below invoice.
    That's a good question. After I ordered my car, I made the car lots on Sunday morning and and saw the LS on a local dealers lot with a sign on the windshield noting "$500 below invoice". I'm assuming that was not including the rebate but I don't know that. The dealer in question is relatively new, very small, I don't think they will be in business long. For that reason they may be discounting to establish volume. I have mine on order so I guess it doesn't matter to me.
    I wanna sent the dealer this email to negotiate the price.
    maybe it looks stupid. please give me some advice.

===============================
    Dear Sir/Madam:

I hope this email can save our time. I want to buy a Chevy impala 1LT with 3 options: 1) Wheels: 16 in 5-Spoke Styled Cast Aluminum; 2) 4-Wheel Antilock Disc Brakes;3) Flip & Fold Flat Rear Seat. Everything else will be standard.

Other N/C options will be the front 40/20/40 split-bench seat. The exterior color I wanted is Black, Glacier Blue Metallic, Laser Blue Metallic, Silverstone Metallic, or Superior Blue Metallic. Either interior color is fine with me.

Here are my questions:
    1) Can you offer me the price for "invoice-500+options+destination fee+tax+tag-rebate”?
    2) How long will it take you to order my choice?
    3) How much can you accept my credit card payment? I am going to finance with my credit union.

I think that is going to be $21,861.88 totally. This price will be the final out of door price with nothing else. So can you do it?

Items Price Sources
    1 Invoice $20221 cars.com,Edmunds.com
    2 Below invoice $-500 Dealer’s offer
    3 4-Wheel Anti Disc Brakes $498 cars.com,Edmunds.com
    4 16' Cast-Aluminum $291 cars.com,Edmunds.com
    5 Flip-Fold Flat Rear Seat $228 cars.com,Edmunds.com
    6 Destination fee $660 Cars.com,Edmunds.com
    7 Tax(1+2+3+4+5+6)*6% $1283.88 estimated
    8 Tag $180 estimated
    9 Rebate(current) $-1000 Cars.com,Edmunds.com
    10Total(final) $21861.9 Out of door
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Sign on to www.chevy.com. You can build and price the impala of your dreams. Options colors etc on line. Then ask for a quote from the Chevy dealer in your area (zip code ). The Dealer will get back to you very quickly with the price and rebates for the vehicle. You can negotiate from there with out leaving your house. That's how I bought mine. :)

Best,
    Ken
    I purchased the Impala LT3 with moon roof for $23,583.84. That included tax and title out the door.
    ( I believe the tax in North east Ohio is about 8% )

The only difference in options between the LT3 and the LTZ was the leather seats that I did not want. It actually has the same options as the SS model with the exception of the small block V8 engine. The LT3 has the bigger 6 cylinder engine as standard.

I feel it was a decent price for the model and options I wanted, and I did this with out a hassle or leaving home until I had the deal I wanted.

Best,
    Ken
    Congratulations.That's a very very good price. Unbelievable!

It seems much cheaper than the 24,132+tax+title one with sunroof,bose sound system and door remote.

we are getting good deal now.
    I didn't do the upgrade on the bose sound system. I am 68 and just listen to AM talk radio anyway. I believe that's about a 3 or 4 hundred dollar difference. Door remote and remote starting was standard on the LT3.

Best,
    Ken
    The door remote is the universal garage door remote opener. I think that's about $80. Your price is very good though. It's about $1000 less than my expect. Is it hard to negotiate? Can you please share more experience?
    Yes, this truly is a great price, you bought it for $1,500 below invoice.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a major national daily newspaper would like to hear from consumers who are thinking about buying a vehicle or have just bought one (since Oct. 1) and can comment about how important incentives are/were in their purchase decision. If you have a story to share with the reporter, please respond to predmunds.com with your daytime contact info. and the make/model of the vehicle you bought/are thinking of buying, no later than EOD Tues., November 15, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

There was no serious negotiations I just ordered the basic Impala LT3 with a moon roof. The Dealer applied the rebates. However I am an old person and sometimes forget to tell the whole story. I did fail to mention earlier that I also received the employee discount which I suspect is the difference in price you are referring to. Sorry about the confusion. :):)

Best,
    Ken
    employee discount, that's the reason.I sent my email to dealer ask 1500 off invoice. They must be laughing at me now.
    hello, Ken

Can I ask you a question? Are you actually an employee or you just got the employee discount?
    I never worked for GM. However my brother is a retired foreman with 40 years service at the Chevy Plant.

It is my understanding the retired workers get a bigger discount than the active workers, and the hourly worker gets an even larger discount than the salary worker. ( Not sure if this applies to only the retired workers or not )

Ken
    It looks like the red tag price is about $500 to $600 below invoice at least on the LT model. An equivalent deal if you want the low interest rates is offer $500 over invoice and you still can get the 1.9% financing for 36 months.
    I still didn't understand. Did your brother help you get the discount? Or do you think you can get the employee discount even if you don't have any relatives have any relationship with GM?
    I just came back from a dealership. They refused to offer me the same price as KEN. They also have the Red Tag sales. If they have the car exactlly I want, invoice-1000 could be possible, but they cannot use this price to order a new one with my options for me.

They also said, if I order any car now, it will take 2 month because the Holiday is coming. Is that true?
    Yes my brother did receive something from Chevy that I turned into my Chevy Dealer. I believe the discounts that I received are for employees and there immediate family only.

Ford and Chrysler offer the same thing to there employs I believe it's called the "A plan" or something like that. As a matter of fact all three of the Auto manufactures were offering this program to the general public the last couple of months.

Remember they use to say "You pay what we pay" I believe this ended the end of September or there about to the general public and now is strictly for employees and there families.

Ken
  • worrworr Member Posts: 45
    Right now prices are below invoice, with the red tag sale, as I figure it. Someone is saying $100 above supplier cost...but I don't know what that figure is.

So a Impala SS listed (MSRP) at $29,995 invocices for $27,586 but with the red tag is going for 27,003 plus another 1,000 if you take the rebate and finance on your own.