Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger II

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Ford
This is a continuation of Topic 227....

Ford Ranger

Please continue this discussion here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    Take that vince
    and 2nd?
    (clancydog) I think your ok but post your question over here:

http://www.homestead.com/therangerstation/index.html

Lots of Ranger info here.
  • hmerglerhmergler Member Posts: 85
    jwsmith:

How did they relate the VIN to a higher rebate? All the info I've seen is for the 2000 Ranger to have a $500 rebate. Is there a regional program that is increasing it to $1000? Sorry to keep nagging, but an extra $500 can't hurt.

Thanks,
    The Merg
  • jwsmithjwsmith Member Posts: 46
    Don't know how it happened - thought the same, $500 rebate on 2000 Ranger. Was suprised at the salesperson telling me it was $1000 - ask for verification - got the VIN reference answer. I got the extra $500 and the bedliner - a lot better than the original deal. Took delivery with the sign over of the $1000 rebate 10/14. The order was placed 09/02 - but 2000 Rangers were still only $500 then.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    LOL, CP, Thats the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short :-)

Took my Ranger up Hwy 26 with my neighbor this weekend. I found a trail by Frog Lake and put the Ranger through the ringer. I was climbing and clawing my way up mud and rock for about 100yards or so at about a 10-15% grade in some spots. At the top I found a couple of guys, one had a Jeep CJ and the other an older S-10 4x4. The weather in the NW has been been beautiful for the last couple of weeks, the view was great! Getting down was a white knuckles all the way. I put it into 4 low and had to ease down VERY slowly. I don't think I'll do that trail again anytime soon, at some points I thought I was going to loose it and skid into a tree or two. Next hit the Barlow trail for about 15 miles. It is the trail the wagons used to use to go over the Cascade mountains. The sign at the entrance specifically says "4wheel vehicles only, please drive carefully". Good to see you back!
    Did you say that you have the K&N setup or the KKM Tru Rev system? Also with the 31 inch tires, whats your air pressure? I use 28F 32R.

Found some Rancho RS5000 shocks for $37 each. Think it will level out the bounce a bit.
  • mjpetersenmjpetersen Member Posts: 4
    I have rented a 99 4x4 this weekend. It worked out nice because my girlfriend is considering a new Ranger, plus we need to haul some stuff up to the central coast (Calif.). So we'll both drive it for a bit to check out likes/dislikes.

The rented truck looks like it has a 6 cyl engine, and one of the automatics. Can't tell right off whether it's the 3 or 4 liter - hope it's the 3 liter, because it is a low on power. Our choice would be the 4 liter.

On this particular vehicle, there is a distinct 'thunk' feeling when you begin your acceleration from stop. And actually, there is a smaller 'thunk' shortly after the first one. But the first one is very noticeable - like a flywheel catching a clutch at one moment, or something like where the flywheel spins fast until something 'catches' such that the flywheel immediately slows down instead of a gradual 'shifting into gear'.

Is that a normal condition for the Ranger, or is it something related to this one truck?

Other first impressions:

Well ... it's a truck. I'm coming off an Avalon, where you can't even HEAR the engine. :)

I think the styling is attractive.

There aren't tooooo many rattles, but there are SOME - which I don't really want to hear at 13k.

Interior components are fairly well placed. (How many automobiles have you driven where you end up saying 'why did they put THAT over THERE?????)

Parking brake release mechanism is too low under the dash.

The engine feels underpowered to me.

This rental truck's air conditioning does not cool down very fast, but it is acceptable.

The audio complex is well arranged and has plenty of power/gadgets/etc. for me.

The rear area of extended cab is a little of a hassle to get to. I'm not too sure how useful it will be, but I don't want the 4-door version and I don't want to put groceries outside.

Plenty of leg room and seat room. I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs. No problem at all.

Just for the record, here's the rest of our tentative plan. We're city dwellers (LA). It will be used to work every day, plus light hauling now and again, plus lugging bikes wherever, plus VERY infrequent heavy loads:

xls
    extended
    4 ltr
    4x2
    Manual 5 - automatic is still under consideration.
    3.55 axle
    4-wheel abs (used in Calif ALL the time)
    load option 2 (looks like added capacity for $65)
    power-everything options
    sports package (for tach???? why are manual transmissions sold without a tach???)
    loud radio :)
    class-3 hitch
    aftermarket spray-on bedliner

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Martin Petersen
    The 4.0 has "4.0" stamped on the top of the engine on a black section between the cyl.

I have a 4.0, manual, XLT 4X4, Supercab, 3.73 rear, ABS, Ameriguard spray in liner, EGR bug screen, added 31X10.5X15 tires with 19.4K since Jan. I am 6'3 260 and have no problem driving it.

The thunk sound is common. I think it is some large relays kicking in but there is no problem. The A/C relay is what I think. Was the fan on at the time? A/C runs almost all the time with the fan on. Also the vehicle has a tendency to have what is called a cow bell sound. There is a service bulletin but it too is not a problem.

I put my hunting equip or tree pots in the back. It is not the easiest but not imposible.

Radio/CD is great in the car, better than the Intrepid it replaced.

I haul water in a 200 gal tank, 1,300 lb. about twice a month. No problems.

With stock tires expect 22mpg hwy(maybe not LA traffic) and 19 city and I run the cheap regular.

Spray on liner is the way to go and consider a bed cover and the EGR bug screen just looks sharp.

Consider overload spring setup for about 150 bucks as you will get it up about 2500lb in payload.

Off the lot that rig would be, on sale, 19.5-20.2K. Order from the factory and you will pay more. Look for the sales, there are good deals out there.

I REALLY like my 99. Am ordering a replacement high performance air filter system.

Remember the ford engines are truck engines, high torque, lower hp and 9 to 1 or so compression ratio. There is adaquate but I will agree not steller power but a real lot of torque. I 4 wheel in the rockies at 10,000 ft with no problems.
    Thanks for the feedback, Dennis.

I do hear the thunks you describe in post #8. It seems like the A/C is on all the time. Is that correct? Is there a way to turn it off? My preference would be to have the A/C on-off under my control.

The thunks I was talking about are ones that I feel from the transmission. The Ranger I am renting now has an automatic. And it's a 4x4. My theory is that the jolts happen by design of either the automatic or the 4wd or both in combination. I think you may not feel that because you have a manual.

So, in my case with a manual and NO 4wd, I'm hoping that we don't have it either.

We are planning on the spray-on bedliner, and looking at a bedcover. Probably Line-X for the liner, and ? for the cover. Have you seen a cover that you like?

I'm glad you like the truck. It's been fun for me too over the past couple of days. We'll get about 900 miles on it this weekend, so there will be plenty of data to work from.

BTW - everyone - Budget Rent-A-Car is letting Rangers go for $20 / day, through November. No mileage. It's a great deal for anyone considering a truck purchase.
  • hmerglerhmergler Member Posts: 85
    mjpetersen :

If you rented from Budget then you are getting the 3.0L V6 engine. You can also tell if you have the 3.0L if you have a little green tree sticker on the tailgate. I found the 3.0L V6 to be pretty good for city driving and highway driving, but I probably wouldn't recommend it if you are going to be hauling stuff.

As for the A/C, I found out the the A/C is always on except for the Vent location (the location just to the left of the Off position). Not my favorite thing, but I can live with it.

cpousnr:

Sorry, but I disagree with you about the cost of the truck configuration that mjpetersen listed. I think it will be a good $1000 to $1500 less than what you stated. I am getting the AT V6, 4-door, limited slip, power and convenience groups for $18,600. His will be less the V6 and AT, less the 4-door (but he is getting the class III hitch and 4-wheel ABS), less the convenience group (but plus the Sport group), less the limited slip (but plus the optional rear axle). That pretty much balances out to the V6 and AT, which is about $1500.

As for ordering it, I think you can get just as good a deal as off the lot. I think I got a good deal and I ordered mine.

- The Merg
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I have a 98 XLT super cab with 4 doors and I had the same problem with a strange thumping feeling or thunking sound when I would start off from adead stop or while coming to a stop. So under warranty I took it to the dealer and explained the problem, before I even finished he said it's the drive shaft and ordered a new one. Form what I could get out of a mechanic is in the Rangers with the extended cab there is a flexable extenstion to compensate for the added length of the extended or super cab its like like a cv joint and I guess they have had some problems of premature wear with it. I was told I have a newer design and so far no thumping feeling. If you have a 98 or a 99 it should be covered under the basic warranty. By the way the A/C does not come on foer only two settings the vent and floor positions, for the rest it comes on to help evaporate the air of moisture.
    merg
    Your right on the price. I keep thinking 4X4 prices. My comment on prices was refering to the specials that some dealers run on certain units.
    (hciaffa)
    Correct on the panel only and floor only non AC. I run the both most of the time but I like things cool.
    There has been some references on some units getting out with a bad yoke on the drive line. An out of balance shaft too could clunk. Mine seems to be running fine.
    Just my 3 cents, I store 6 cargo straps, a small multi socket set, flares, ball of 1/2 inch rope, hammer/hatchet, 2 space balakets, small first aid kit and a ten foot tow chain in the area under the rear seats (try that in a Tacoma!) and the comealong in the area behind the seats. While hunting had tent/ground cloth, sleeping bag, stove, 2 propane cyl, 2 gal water, air mattress, shells, bag of food, two rifles, one shotgun in cases, belt with .40 cal/Kbar/Binocs/stone, hunting jacket, boots and map container behind the seats with some room to spare. Cooler was on the seat beside me.
    Just did first change of synthetic oil Mobil 1. HIGHLY recommend converting to that or another synthetic around 10-15K after the engine is broken in. The first batch ran fine for 5K and in my opinion quieted the engine down and it runs cooler.
    19.4K and all is running fine, kinda dirty from hunting but real nice truck. Cut thru snow/ice/mud from 9-11K feet last weekend like it was not there as I his a snow storm that backed in dropping 6 inches or so.
    Didn't get a deer though. . .
    Cheaper than I got my 99 for. . .

My bed cover by the way is a TekSport soft cover. It is a nice no drill on, it clamps, unit and it stays on real well on some very rough roads.

The bug screen is an EGR that I liked cause it was contoured and small, not some big honkin thing. I think it looks sharp.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I just read from the blueovalnews.com site that ford has given the go ahead on a baby lightning pickup called the ranger adrenalin for the 2001 year,The new rangers will have the sohc V6 205hp while the adrenalin will probably have a 5.0 V8 possibly supercharged,I can't wait I miss my lightning but the adrenalin could take its place,and hopefully its priced right.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    After doing some more reading the new adrenalin will have between 260 and 280 Hp and will be supercharged,SVT is also building a thunder which is a supercharged expedition with the new 5.4 3 valve engine to replace the 5.4 2 valve engine,0 to 60 in under 6 seconds,
    I have heard news of a the adrenalin also. Lets hope it gets the same V8 the Mustang has, talk about a screamer! The new V6 for the Ranger will sure shut up those who put down the Ranger and its present 4.0 for HP reasons. The present 4.0 is a very capable and worthy engine. Its torque, which is usually the most import aspect of a truck, is equal if not better than the Tacoma and Nissan. I just don't get this HP thing? I believe its the reveiwers who stir this 0-60 and HP craze. What ever happened to what the vehicle is intended to be used for? or standard options? or functionality?
    CP, Ranges sell for about the same here in Oregon. Like I said I got a heck of a deal with mine absolutly loaded for 19.6. 4x4 4.0 XLT 5speed, stepside, tow pkg, offroad pkg, pwr, 4wheel ABS, CD, Alarm, remote entry, leather wrapped steering wheel, pwr brakes/steering, A/C, sport buckets and more!
    Although I do have to admit. The amount of new Rangers I see in comparison to Tacoma's seems about even. The most popular truck in my area are the Tacoma and Ranger. Nissan/Chevy are not as prominent.
  • mn8560mn8560 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone happen to know the MAX RPM RED LINE for a 4.0 liter engine (with a 5 speed manual transmission) Most tachometers indicate a MAX, but Ford chooses not to.
    I think I read somewhere that the redline is 6K.

Vince, I had mine on some areas in Pike NF where the HP issue would be a disadvantage. Kind of like what you stated a while back. One area looked like a 45-50 degree climb and a couple of places where I was on about a 40-45 degree side angle. Took it thru both areas REAL SLOW in 4 low range. By slow it was not even showing a miles reading on the spedo. HP wont help you much in those situations as the ground there is very loose gravelly stuff but the torque sure will. Got what I think was an outstanding pic of the truck with Pikes Peak in the background about 20-25 miles away. I was about 16 miles down south of the enterance to Rampart Range road and about 5-6 miles off it on a side road. Kind of directly west of the Air Force Acad. up in the foothills maybe 10 mile straight line west. A great day, 70-75 deg.
    We tested a 99 xlt 4x4 this weekend, as posted above. It was a 3.0 5speed automatic. Had some of the options but not all. Spent about 450 miles with it.

The truck definitely thunks or thumps into- and outof- gear at startup. Thanks for your notes hciaffa about the driveshaft problem. At least we know it is a problem that is repairable.

The 3.0 also is definitely underpowered to our tastes. The transmission had to be forced down into a very low gear, with RPMs hovering above 4k, to climb some pretty mild hills at sea level.

We think this is simply a matter of adjusting our expectations about trucks versus passenger cars. The 4k RPM in the Ranger sounds like it is really working HARD. The noise level is significantly higher than our passenger cars. But on the other hand, I don't really think that it was any trouble for the truck whatsoever. Most freeway cruise speed was at 2500 RPM which seemed to be perfect with that truck.

Unfortunately, in Los Angeles we need ability for quick and powerful acceleration from time to time. It's a safety issue here on the freeways.

So I THINK our conclusion is that the 4.0 should be good enough in terms of power. (The 3.0 is close to being sufficient itself.) We will also be getting a manual transmission which will add a little more control with power too.

Please let me know if you think there is NOT a power improvement between the 3.0 and 4.0. If that is the case we will have to look at a different truck altogether.

Here is another question regarding tires. Let's say that our truck use is mostly for travel to work (city streets and freeways), with light hauling (city streets and freeways) and very infrequent medium-load hauling.

From a driver comfort standpoint, does anyone ever put a regular passenger car radial on these trucks? I know that I drive my passenger car over dirt roads from time to time, and the radials do not get damaged. On the other hand, the radials are good for gas mileage plus they are very comfortable and quiet.

Thanks for all of your comments and opinions,

Martin Petersen
  • jloco1jloco1 Member Posts: 34
    I have a 99XLT super cab w/ 4.0 and 5 sp manual.
    I think that if you drive one, you will find the 4.0 to have plenty of power. It has no problem snapping your head back when you get on it in 1st-3rd gear. Passing on the highway is a breeze. I find I'm averaging 15.5 mpg all around(87 octane). Go to a dealer and test drive a 4.0 manual. You'll love it if you liked the 3.0.

I've seen some nice street friendly Michelin L/T tires out there for about $125. You may want check them out. I may go that way myself when these firestones wear out. I've got 2000 miles on my Ranger and it hasn't left the pavement yet. Most of the off-road stuff around here in Boston is all brush. I'm waiting for the first snow. The firestones look like they'll the job.
    Good Luck!! JLOCO
    not the Tacoma. They chose the Ranger. Go to http://www.edmunds.com to read the story.

Here is a few words Edmunds had on their longterm test of a 98 Ranger XLT:

PROS:
    "As far as compact pickups go, many of us here at Edmunds.com feel that the Ranger is the crème de la crème. In fact, it gets our nod for best
    2000 compact pickup."
    "...we like how our Ranger looks. It's got sporty styling without being over-bulbous like some of its full-size brethren."
    "Its bright red paint, flared fenders, and tall stance give it a serious and imposing presence, not unlike an emergency vehicle."
    "That raised height does have its advantages in terms of visibility. We like to see as much of the picture as we can in car-dense L.A., where
    everyone seems to have a knack for running into each other."
    "Inside the Ranger our praise continues. Most of us are happy with the
    seats and the ergonomics. All controls are within easy reach, and are clearly marked."
    "Climbing into the BMW today, with its upmarket Harmon Kardon, proved disappointing; its much
    more expensive setup didn't match the Ford in sound quality."
    "Climate-control knobs and dials are equally well-marked"
    "The mating of the five-speed automatic transmission and engine drew praise this month."

CONS:
    "Disconcerting, however, is the fact that our center armrest has broken off after only 16,000 miles."
    "hauling capacity to be a bit of a disappointment" "Unfortunately, squeaks now plague our Ranger, the most noticeable of which coming from the rear suspension."

Ho hum, Consumer Reports multiple year repeat choice as "Best Buy", Four wheeler choice once as best buy 4X4 and second place once for 4 wheeler of the year and now Edmunds choice as best small truck for 2000.

Ho hum. . .
    As far as tires go. Please remember the weight rating on the tires is higher than a sedan. I would highly reccommend not putting passenger tires on a truck. There are tons of choices for tires when it comes Light truck in town tires. I would reccommend you visit a reputable tire store who knows what they are talking about. Also, the gearing will change how a truck accelerates and mpg. Sounds like a 4.0 4spd auto with a 3.73 limited slip rearend would do you fine. The 5spd is meant more for heavy hauling, although the 5th gear is tall for long trips and improved MPG.
    CP, sounds beautiful up in Colorado. My Ranger has alos allowed me to see some beautiful country. The weather has changed here in the NW over the last couple of days. Should see snow in the next few weeks up in the mountains.
    You should through that article into the Tacoma vs Ranger room, this would really heat things up!
    vince:
    Ask and ye shall receive. Check 867.

(mjpetersen)
    I think the Ranger 4.0 would work fine in your situation. Consider the addition of a K&N or KKM Tru Rev induction system. It is an after market replacement, life time cleanable air filter system. It increases HP and Torque a bit with better acceleration. Its about a hundred bucks.
    http://www.kustomz.com
    I agree with vince on the tires issue. The Firestones will deliver the quietest and easiest ride, thats why they are on the truck, but they are not the best overall, or for off road. Stick with a good light truck tire.
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    As mentioned in a previous post I have a 98 XLT 4X4 but I don't do much serious off roading. About 80%is highway and city driving down to my local Home Depot, Lowes or Pep Boys (my churches as my wife calls them). Any off roading is to follow some old tank trails in my area. Now I'll be in the market for some tires and the Michelin LTX M/S tire has gotten some great writeups.If you go to www.tirerack.com and then to tire brands and pick Michelin, under light truck tires pick the LTX M/S and read about them, at bottom of the page is a test poll on the tire. Also try the Bridgestone area and check the Geolander model. There is other good info at this site. Just my opinion, good luck.
    Hey thanks of the info on tires. Good info.

On the subject, look at the noise compaired to the BFG. I consider the BFG a very loud tire on the road.

Also, the BFG has a 3ply sidewall. The BFG All Terrain T/A KO model which Tire Rack will not sell, exceeds the regular All Terrain by a great deal. Plus they just look so danm nice on the truck! nMicky Thompsons or Thornbirds are nice but expensive. Do take a look at the Parelli (sorry, cant spell) Scorpions, they look good too.

Just my 2 cents but you have to pry my BFG's off my truck. And I do not go off road more than 10 percent of the time. I want the best when I do go off and I think I got it.
  • jclevelandjcleveland Member Posts: 21
    I asked about your bug deflector a couple of weeks ago. I am going to get one probably next week. Do you have the smoked or the carbon fiber look. I haven't found anyone locally where I can see what the Carbon Fiber and 3-D CF look like.
    I have the smoked. Take a look:
    http://members.aol.com/Cpousnr/index1.html

Did I send you the urls for the place I bought it and the EGR the guys that make it? I just liked its size and the way it was contoured to the truck. If not let me know an I will forward the info.
    It looks great. http://www.homestead.com/RoughRangers/index.html
    It is off this site and EXCELLENT site for ranger information:
    http://www.therangerstation.cjb.net/
    The have so far organized 2 fantastic off road adventures one in Ohio and one in NJ.

It is free.
    Hey,
    What did you think of Kyle Emrick's truck??
    Is that nice or what? That is one serious off rad machine. Thanks for the link!!

JLOCO
    some outstanding trucks on that site. I was going to submit mine, cause I think it is kind of nice. Then I read that even the mild ones there are all lifted at least 3 inches. sniff, sniff I'll just crawl back to my garage. . .

Join the club my friend. It looks like fun. If enough join from the Denver area it would be great to take 9-10 Rangers out in force. I got into a Jeep camp out of Leadville and there must have been 500 Jeeps running around out there learning tricks etc. It was kewl.
    You sent me the links and I have checked them all out. I am still curious as to what the carbon fiber ones look like. I am going to make some calls today to see if I can find them locally and take a look.

Thanks for your help.
    no problem. let me know if you have other questions.
    I would also suggest the KKM Tru Induction air filter system and after 10,000 miles convert to synthetic oil and gear lube and ATF in the xfer case.

Enjoy I am really having fun with mine.
    Why wait till 10,000 for synthetic? Any particular reason? When do you think you should do your first oil change?
    Just curious.
    Thanks......JLOCO
    I found someone local with the EGR's. I took off work early and went and took a look. I ended up with the Smoked Superguard, $56 which I didn't think was to bad. I'm planning on scrubbing up my truck and putting it on tomorrow. If I get ambitious I will post a picture on my web site.
    (jloco1)
    Well I did not think my engine broke in until about 10000 miles. What are you running? I have the Mobil 1 5W30 and it runs great. The engine seemed to quiet down a bit once I changed.

(jcleveland
    Kewl! The no drill model? I just think it was sharper than most and by the way that is a good price. I paid 79.
    I heard you can get more of the non abrasive pads at the picture hanging area of Walmart.
    Once installed, DO NOT drop the hood to close. The clamp in the center will snap the material on the screen. I also recommend putting some of the foam double side sticky pads you can get from 3M all around that center clamp, on the screen to mount it more securely to the hood.
    You have to set the hood down till it first latches then with your hands on either side of the hood push down as many times as it takes to second latch the hood.
    cpousner,

It still has the original factory oil. I've got 1900 miles.

JLOCO
    P.S.

cpousnr,

How often do you change the Mobil 1?

Do you think I should wait until 3000? or should I change it now?
  • trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    I changed to Mobil 1 with 1k miles on my truck. There is an "old wives tale" that says you need to wait and break the engine in before changing but there are many production engines that leave the factory with Mobil 1. Even with Mobil 1 I question going much more than the recommended mileage change intervals. I plan to change at 5 to 6k and use the Mobil 1 filter($10) as well.
    I got the deflector installed today. I am pretty pleased with how it looks, nice low profile to the hood, I can't even hardly see it when driving. The mounting isn't bad, sure beats drilling holes in the hood.

** cpousnr
    Why would the clamp get in the way while dropping the hood? I dropped it closed a few times after installing it and tweaking the position and didn't have any problems, just curious.

Anybody have a suggestion on a good tail gate edge protector, I would prefer something in Stainless Steel? My cover seals on the tailgate and rubs the paint a little and I would like to keep that from happening.

jc
    I changed the mobil 1 at about 5K, 14,500 on the truck. I am thinking of changing filter in 5K, add a quart and go 10K on the full change this next cycle. I will turn over 20,000 on the truck on my trip to So colo tomorrow and I bought it in January. I have 2 exchange students from the Ukraine that want to go to the mountains so Music Pass here we come. They have never been four wheeling and in fact neither family owns a car. Both think my truck is the kewlest thing they have seen. And when I showed them some of the 4X trails on my web page they asked me to take them there. The are from Kiev.

On the screen, I do not know but I installed it and a while later opened the hood and when closing dropped it. It snapped the middle clamp off and part of the screen. As it is guarenteed for life got a second one but am careful now and close it like I stated. Do not forget it is an aluminium hood so it will bend.

I liked that the deflector was low and the contour matched the hood contour.

I am looking for the same gate cover that you are and have yet to find one that meets my needs.

By the way, that screen has held on over some pretty nasty class 3 and 4 4X roads that I have been on here in Colorado. I get a lot of compliments on that screen.
  • rsmtomrsmtom Member Posts: 28
    Can any 4X4 Ranger owners advise me about the hub internals? I've been told that Ford has used plastic for certain of the critical hub components in Explorers, so I'm assuming this could be true of the Ranger as well. Seems like a hostile environment for plastic, given the heat soak from the rotors.
    I do not know but can I refer you to this site?:
    http://www.homestead.com/therangerstation/index.html
    Wealth of knoweldge and you should get your answer here.
  • rsmtomrsmtom Member Posts: 28
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Here is a link to check out:
    https://underworld.liquidweb.com/~rstruck/access001.htm

I am going to look locally and see if I can find this and check it out. Thought you might be interested.
    Thanks I will.

Installed the KKM Tru Rev Induction kit last night. Very easy to do but i will write them about torque values on the bolts.

Much better acceleration in the 2-4K range.

Nice sound.

Better idle.

SWEEEEEEEET!
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    so whats the deal lucile
  • wannarangerwannaranger Member Posts: 20
    Help Me Out Again Guys, I'm still unsure. I know many of you have told me to get a 3.0 Ranger, but considering my present situation I may have no choice but to look at the 2.5 engine on the Ranger and the 2200 Vortec 4 liter on the S-10 for insurance and monthly payment purposes. As I mentioned in previous conferences, I want the flairside or sportside bed, automatic transmission, a CD player, and a sliding rear window or a sunroof. What kind of price range are we talking about here? My parents' are questioning my reasoning and motives for this but, this move is a precautionary move as transferring to a more expensive school is my motive (my attempt at balancing out the demands on my finances). Sorry, but I was out of town and unable to check for responses on the previous topic site before it changed to this one. Again, I appreciate all input.
    Thanks Everyone.
    wannaranger
  • sredman1sredman1 Member Posts: 66
    i jst went threw the same thing.... ended up with a 2000 ranger 3.0l V6 .... the S-10 Reliability was the bigest issue... Consumer reports basically said the s-10 reliabilty is as bad as it comes... and the 3liter v6 was only like $395 more... and the cd player is standard on the XLT this year :)
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    While it sounds as if the 4cyl. is for financial reasons I implore you to drive an automatic before making any decision. Find varied terrain ie: steep grades etc. My personal opinion is the 4cyl. auto. combo is way too sluggish. At least get the stick if you have to have the 4cyl.
    Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.