Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Audi A6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rayman31rayman31 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 A6 in July 2001. I paid $0 down and leased it for $499/month for 48 months... 10,000 miles annually allowed.

In looking to replace this car (as July 2005 is quickly coming up) - I have found NO viable alternatives... What is going on? What happened to the $0 down leases? What happened to a car for $500/month???

I am really having a difficult time with this - what can ANYONE recommend?

I don't want to step down - but stay lateral... (BMW 5, Benz E, etc....)

Rayman!
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Lease rates in general have gone up over the last several years. A lot of leasing companies lost a ton of money on low lease payments for cars that were set up with unrealistic high residuals. When these cars go back to auction, they didn't get their money back out of the cars.

As for the A6, good deals were to be had on last years 04 body style beacause the 05's were coming out with a totally new look.

The lease rates seem to be coming down on the A6.
    People have been complaining that Audi is not competitive with the BMW 5 series in terms of lease payments. On Audi's website for Atlanta dealers, you can lease a $47k Quattro 05 A6 for $599mo/36 mo w/ about $2500 total down. I think that's pretty competitive with what BMW is doing right now.
  • penn2penn2 Member Posts: 128
    Hello

From mid-Altantic region, Philly to be specific -
    Was offered 36 mos. 12K mi lease of $697/mo (MF of .00189),with Premium and Cold Weather. Was told that it was based on a sell price of $45K(list being $46,520 incl dest. charge - invoice being $43,026 incl. dest. charge)

Sound reasonable? Or, room to negotiate?

thank you for any insight/experience that can be provided !
    Was that w/ 0 down for 697/mo?
    Yes - nothing down...
    I am in the market for the 05 3.2(or 3.1) - would think invoice + 5% would be fair(and taking into consideration TMV) but, best I've been able to do here in the mid-atlantic region is $500-750 off MSRP ...or, in another case, $1500 off(with lease) but, high MF, well above Audi Fin Srvcs' base lease rate of .00132

What have other 05 3.2 buyers succeeded with?
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    I picked up my 4.2 last week for $900 over dealer cost. I live in NY.
  • halofanhalofan Member Posts: 37
    Hi All -
    I am interested in ordering an
    05 3.2 with a color combination not located in So. California. The dealer I'm working with wants a 10% deposit to "hold" the vehicle. I think this is a little much seeing is dealers often are alotted cars from the factory. As a matter of fact, I think I read somewhere on this site that you really shouldn't have to put much down at all because of a dealers normal ordering process. The color combo isn't all that wacky, black and platinum, but I just wanted some certain options, premium, convenience, sport packages. Can anyone comment on this?
    I had to special order my 4.2; wanted the solar sunroof, as well as virtually every other option. My deposit was $1,000.

Kevin
    10% is a bit much, but if you're going to buy the car anyway, what does it matter? You're going to give the dealer the other 90% your money sooner or later anyway.

Some dealers may have been burned by customers backing out on high-end cars and don't want to get stuck with a car with too many options that may be hard to sell beacause of the price-point.

But many states have laws that make it illegal for a dealer to keep your deposit anyway if you back out.
    That's a good point, I just thought it seemed a little excessive. Having never ordered a new car, always buying from existing stock, I just hope the dealer is open to negotiation just as much.
  • carshopper10carshopper10 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? (I'm in PA) includes convenience, cold weather and premium pkg. I'm coming out of a 2000 A6 2.7T Quattro that was nothing but trouble -- unless this is a great deal I'm considering moving to another brand. Anyone know if the 2005 A6 is supposed to have better reliability? I know the A4 is now recommended by Consumer reports.
    Carshopper 10

Are you leasing or buying? what rates are they offering?
    I am in PA too -southeastern(ie Phl) for same options(except conven.) - based on what I have found ... anything ranging from 45K (but, with less than desirable lease factor)or @ 45.9K for better lease deal. If you find a car that is pre-Feb 15 delivered to states/dealers, it will have MSRP of $1000 less...they upped it due to Euro vs dollar exchanges...there are still some out there
    So with not knowing your financing arrangement, I'd say your deal(based on a MSRP of 47.5K, invoice of 43.9 and TMV of @ 45.8K) is within the "good deal" range...and a lot has changed on A6 reliability over the past 4 - 5 yrs
    good luck
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    What features does it have? Cold? Convenience? Sport? etc... We can only speculate on the reliability, but the higher powers that be in AOA have been purportedly emphasizing reliability on the new A6.
    It doesn't matter now anyway, I just picked up my 05 3.2 and paid 1250 over invoice which I thought was a pretty good deal for this area. It was about 650 down from a Carsdirect.com quote and probably 1000 less than the TMV on this site. I'm really excited about the car...Having traded in a Mercedes ML320 Alabama SUV...I am very impressed with the amount of equipment for the money with Audi.

My deal:

3.2 Night Blue w/ Ebony
    Prem. pkg
    Conv. pkg
    Nav.
    18" wheels

MSRP $50270
    My price: $ 48,200

McKenna Audi, VW in Norwalk, CA
    halofan -

congrats on your deal & new car --

For those that are still in the hunt, here's what appears to be the deal(in S.E. PA) that I am close to signing

3.2 night blue
    prem leather-amaretto
    prem pkg
    cold wthr
    18" wheels

MSRP: $47,520 (a car found on lot without post-Feb 15 mark-up)
    Current offer on table: $44,700

Note - will be leasing; MF on this deal is current AFS base lease rate for A6 of .00129

Neglected to add that this "new" A6 has @ 1,300 miles on it, from being used in marketing campaign -
    I forgot to add prem. leather as well...I was thinking WOW, what a deal you are gettng until 1. I realized that I forgot to add the leather and 2. Your car has 1,300 miles on it.
    Yes, good point, halofan - re #2...your comment(s) not lost on me...

the 1300 miles is the only thing that has kept me from signing...other attractive (no mileage) A6 3.2 alternative is $45.9K with a lesser option package:
    Prem.(standard leather)
    cold wthr
    17" wheels
    convenience
    Sirius radio

Did not really push them(yet) to come off that number, as it's pretty good at $1,700 over invoice(again, badged at pre Feb 15 lower price) but still too much...not to mention, don't like the color
    So, am seeing what my hesitation and fast-approaching end of month will do to motivate dealer ... but, as it is, they're on top of invoice and offering lowest available MF(as they should for this mileage) that you can get currently via AFS...
    Not sure what else they can/will do and frankly, I'm only leasing, not buying so, if push comes to shove, the mileage doesn't really matter to me to get car basically at cost
    I wouldn't woory about either if you are leasing...As far as a purchase, I'm a little anal retentive when it comes to mileage others have put on cars. I was lucky to get this car literally "still in the plastic", I now how most people drive on test drives and I was leary of getting a car with even 100 miles...
  • taitandotaitando Member Posts: 17
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get some opinions on a reasonable offer to make to a dealer. I'm interested in an '04 A6 S-line (Tiptronic) that has the following packages:
    Premium, Luxury, Cold Weather, Lighting, Onstar, Bose, 18" wheels & tires, & Sport seats. The car was a demo and has 14670 miles on it with a price of $39,750.

My zip is 95670 and Edmunds has the following values: $36,255(Trade) $38,051(Private sale) $41,440(Dealer).

Kelly Bluebook values are $30,050(Trade) $34,880(Private sale) $39,940(Dealer)

There is a big difference between Edmunds and KBB. Should my base offer to the dealer be $37K? Perhaps lower?
    I think Edmunds has always been on the high-side of everthing. I think KBB is a pretty good guide and a bit more accurate for real-world trade figures and such.
    14,000 miles in for demo seems a lot. That just about the same of someone owning the car for a year. Seems a little high for just occas. cruises for potential buyers. I'd ask for more information. It may have been used as a loaner, thus accruing more rough riding...

Hopefully not. Good luck. BTW, I agree with the KBB comment. It seems more "real world" to me.
  • richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    2004 tester with 14,000 miles? I think not. Even if it was an early model and came out 6 months into 2003, that would mean that during a 545 day span (1.5yrs) the car was driven over 25 miles EVERY day.

Sounds more like it may have been the tester, loaner, and the guys-from-the-shop-go-to-lunch-in-it car. Now, if the salesman tells you that an employee used it as a back and forth to work car for a year or so, that would be more believable, but telling you it was a demo sounds suspect (to me.)

I think the scariest thing here is the depreciation...what was the sticker on that car in '04 when it hit the showroom?
  • taitandotaitando Member Posts: 17
    The car originally stickered for $49,720.00. And they now have it stickered at $39,750.00. So we are looking at about 20% depreciation within 1 year? Yeah, there's no way I'm paying what they want by any means, and the appraisal from edmunds still seems far fetched. Most of the A6's with similar miles seem to be going for $34k on ebay, but they are not the S-line editions.
  • richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    What are the anticipated depreciation rates by year for the new A6? Anyone have an idea?
    Or what they will be for the M35x for that matter?
  • wynstonwynston Member Posts: 2
    The car has less than 5K miles on it. Pearl Black, Cold, Prem, Tip, Automatic, Certi. Pre-Owned Warranty. The dealer is asking 42,997 for it. High I know!
    here is the link for more info
    http://www.sunsetimports.com/poselectopt.php?&stock=P3611
    How can I find out the original invoice for the car?
    Based on the used car factor and 4700 miles on it what is good offer to make?
    If it were you, what would you do? Offer? Buy new?

Thank you for any advice you can give me!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If the car has already been owned, then you probably cannot find the original invoice for that particular vehicle - plus, it's not really relevant. Once a car has been owned, you're looking at a USED vehicle, not a new one. We list pricing for the 2004 Allroad, but not yet for 2005.

Often, you can't get enough of a discount for the mileage to make it worth buying. If you come to a target price you'd be willing to pay for an '05 with no miles, then use the standard per-mile charge used for leasing ($0.15/mile) and multiply it by the number of miles on the vehicle ($705), you can negotiate based on that discount amount. However, as you can see, $705 is not a lot to take off the price - personally, I'd rather buy a vehicle with almost no miles and have the full warranty left.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wynstonwynston Member Posts: 2
    Kirstie...
    This car has the remainer of the factory warranty plus Audi's CPO warranty for 100K miles/6years.

Guess my gut is just telling me that there could be something wrong with the car since the guy bought it and drove 4700 miles in 6 months and sold it back to the dealer.

I don't know...guess I'll offer 40,500 and see what happens.

It is great when you don't "have/need" to buy a car. Just a want thing here.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Well that's a terrific situation, then. People trade in for all sorts of reason - maybe it was a lease and the guy couldn't afford the payments, or he got a job where a car was included - no way to tell. But I would have a mechanice inspect it and pull a carfax report, just in case.

That's a good strategy - offer what you're willing to pay, and no more. You don't have to have it, and there's no such thing as "the one, true car" for you (it's not a spouse), so if you pass, another one will come along.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• yacyac Member Posts: 3
    Could use any recent experience and pricing on leasing a 2005 A6 3.2. Need current money factor, for 36 months, 12000 miles having prem pkg, Conv pkg, cold weather pkg with 17" wheels. Not interested in Navigation or other add-ons. Have read that these autos are starting to back up at dealers, and that better deals are now avail. An up front thx to all who reply----.
  • jim42jim42 Member Posts: 1
    What do you think about A6 3.2 with:
    Premium
    Convenience
    NAV
    18" all season
    XM
    Parktronic
    Voice

List $50.3K
    asking $48.5
    I think that is a very fair price. I assume the 48.5K is your offer? Is that about 1250 - 1300 over invoice? In So. Cal I think this amount can be had just about anywhere in the area. It may dependant upon where you live and the dealers in the area. I'd offer it and keep your head high because I think it's very fair. I think the A6 has not been as big a seller as Audi had initially anticipated with the remodel and most dealers in my area have a pretty decent inventory.

Good luck and let me know what happens!
    Comparing 3 month sales figures for the A6 from Autosite:

Jan Thru March 2004: 2405 Cars
    Jan Thru March 2005: 4149 Cars

I would say that Audi is pretty happy with those numbers so far.
    Good to see, I certainly didn't have any data to support the statement I made other than the fact the dealers in this area seemed quick to move off MSRP, which to me is a sign that sales are slower than anticipated. Infiniti isn't budging (yet) off MSRP on the M, at least they weren't a month ago before I bought my A6.
  • florida1florida1 Member Posts: 42
    It is a "sign" you're right

You make a valid point about A6 sales - No doubt. Audi had higher sales forecasts for their heavily anticipated 2005 A6---sure 4149 trumps 2405---Any gap less than this would be worrisome to Audi----A 2004 model in the very last months of its life span should sell far less than a new interation in it's first few heavily marketed months of sales----The US dealerships are starting to accumulate inventory and leases are way down --- Trust Audi will be promoting much better A6 leases soon!
    Based on the last 3 months of AOA numbers, Audi is on track to sell appx. 16-17K vehicles for the year. It may well do better given that the numbers are getting better each month.

Overall, they appear to be doing fairly well, and they don't currently have to worry as much as BMW about losing money with the underpriced leases coming back in 36 months biting the manufacturer's profits. I agree that their lease rates are absolutely not as attractive as BMW, or even Infinit for that matter, but overall the sales aren't doing too bad, and AOA may be in a better position down the road...
    I guess the whole point is that you only "must" do certain things if your product isn't selling. The lease rates may come down a bit on the A6, but I doubt it will be much if people keep buying A6's at a fairly brisk pace like they are for the 1st quarter of the year. Right now Audi has $1500 lease cash for current Audi owners, and 2.9% for 60 months available for all customers on the 05 A6.
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    I am currently driving a 2002 3.0 CVT A6. I love the car and have had no problems but my lease is up end of June. I was negotiating a deal on a new A6. Can anyone tell me if this sounds good.

Car has: Sirius Radio Installed
    Wireless Key Entry/Pushbutton Start
    Luxury Pkg
    Voice Command (which I don' t care for without NAV)
    Convenience Pkg
    Premium Package

For a 36 month lease, with 15K miles annually with only giving them $1900 total at start including first month, tax, tag etc..., my payment was $621 + tax a month.
    Does this sound like a good deal?
    Salesman told me the car listed for $48,020 and he was leasing it to me at $45,236

Let me know...by the way, I was looking in other markets for deals on Audi's. In the Atlanta market, you can lease an A8 L model for 36 months for only $999/month plus tax...That's it...No money down at start except $999...Total due at start is $999. What a car!!!!!
  • pe72pepe72pe Member Posts: 7
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 2002 A6 4.2 fully loaded that just came off lease. It is certified and is beautiful. Cost is $31,900 and only has 27,000 miles. I know the previous owner and I basically paid for certification and of course the dealer had to make a few bucks. Any thoughts on the car, pricing, etc.? The price looks great relative to blue book and I don;t think i can pick up a comparable car for the same money. I've never oened an Audi before so any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    I recently test drove both the Audi and Mercedes and to my suprise for a comparable equipped car, the lease price on the Mercedes was much less. I handn't seriously considered the E class as an option but with a new more powerful engine and a favorable lease deal I am giving it serious thought.I loved the A6 as well but found lease prices to be too high. I also thought the E class had a more comfortable ride, precise but smooth..
  • florida1florida1 Member Posts: 42
    I'm buying a GS 430 because the Audi leases are a joke--Their lease rates are so out of touch from ALL the others it's hard to believe---It's a sign that the re-sale of the Audi's pales in comparison to the others---I've owned two Audi's in the past and liked them both---but way off-base with the new A6's ; this is why they are hardly leaseing them at all----Audi gave away leases in years past and dug themselves in a hole----prospective new buyers are paying the price for it now---

I'll lease the very hot and rare GS430 v8 for less than Audi will lease me a A6 (v6)---
    As for lease rates on the new E class vs the A6, Mercedes is advertising a $599 a month deal with 4 grand down on their new E class.

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/E350W.jsp

But if you look at the fine print, that's a base 52-53k or so car. Buy the time you add some options and get xenons. a 6 CD changer with upgraded stereo, heated seats, and a few other options, add another 5-6 grand to the price and more $$$ to that lease payment. Not bad, but you'll be pushing $700 a month with $4,000 cash out of pocket. Can't say that's any bettter that a similar equipped AUDI. And your driving a 2WD vehicle vs a Quattro.

And just remeber that Mercedes IS NOT paying for free maintenace any more. How much will it cost to keep your BENZ running for 50k miles?
  • marialmarial Member Posts: 1
    In 2001, my husband and I ballooned a year-old A6 2.7T (we originally wanted to buy it but the salesman convinced us to lease it instead). It had about 27,000 Miles on it and we got it for 34,5. It had a 17K risidual at the end of 4 years and a $530 monthly payment, 15,000 miles per year. A couple days after we signed that agreement, they called us back and told us they gave us the wrong risidual, it was supposed to be 16k, so this made our payment about $16 more a month. Fast forward to four years (I still have the originally signed lease and that's what I've been looking at for the end of lease documentation) but I asked for a copy of the newer lease, and noticed (in the teeny print) they slid us into 12k miles per year instead of the 15k on the first lease.

I'm not at all happy about this situation and I'm amazed that a reputable Audi dealership would do something like that - especially when there's absolutely no way we'll ever return to that dealership after that (this was our first car buying experience since we were just out of college).

Anyways, just a head's up for anyone who's leasing- never go back to resign the lease and if you ever do - double-check absolutely everything. Not only would we have paid less to lease a brand new A6, but wouldn't have had to pay for all the out of warranty fixes.
  • revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    The E class is available w all wheel drive as well. Not saying it is a better car for you, but it's certainly worth checking out since on the A6 they are not discounting leases and on the Mercedes they are offering incentives currently.
    I posted message #201 above. I am considering leasing another Audi A6. This time the 3.2 All Wheel Drive. I am also considering an Infinity M35 Sport w/ Journey package (rear-view camera, homelink, Bose Stereo, etc...). I can lease one w/ 15K miles annually and 39 month lease with total due at start including all taxes, fees and 1st months payment of $1400 and then $598/month plus tax. The Audi will cost me much more than this. Also, dealer called me yesterday and let me know they extended owner loyalty ($1500) until May 15th. Anybody out there know if this is a real thing or will they have this money available to me next month too? What are you seeing out there for lease prices on 36 or 39 month A6 leases?
  • samusamu Member Posts: 8
    I am looking for an audi a6 3.2 but dont really know what other people are offering or being quoted. There fore i was just wondering what kind of deals you guys got on this car for purchase, thanks.
    I got a 4.2 for $50 under dealer cost. I was lucky enough to order it before the price increase and the car arrived after the price increase. Otherwise, I would have paid about $900 over dealer cost.
    That's amazing! I haven't heard of anyone getting anything more than $1-2K off MSRP! And that was for 3.2's. The 4.2's are more difficult to obtain as they share the engine, etc... Truly incredible!
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    They did extend owner loyalty to the 16th actually, and the lease program is pretty good for 36 months. Will it be more expensive than the Infiniti? Yes. Is the M35 the World Car of the Year? No. Slam the door on both cars parked next to each other and then tell me which is built better.
    Am I to assume that after the 16th of May, the deals will be worse than if I act before. I am probably going to go with the Audi...it's more a world class car t that's proven itself whereas the Infiniti is probably a reliable car, not in the same league. Also, I was thinking of getting the Amaretto Interior w/ the Black exterior. I haven't seen an Amaretto interior other than the sample in the book. Is it good looking or is it too orange?