Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - IV

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
This is a continuation of Topic 868....

Chevy Silverado - III.

Please continue these discussion here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    send your Silverado Pic's to dp2000@webtv.net
    http://community.webtv.net/dp2000/TRUCKFORCEACTION
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    No...I don't get 18-20 MPG.....but as I've stated several times..MPG never has been a concern of mine.
    It's too small of an issue to make such a big decision on what vehicle to buy.
    We piss away the price difference in a tank of gas on all kinds of stuff.....so who cares?...Not me.

As for highway... Dream on.

But then again....we would be racing and I've also stated how dumb that looks in trucks.

Once more....Timmy just don't care what anyone thinks.

I like the power it has...and that be all that matters.

..Now where is that beer?...

- Tim
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    http:minimopar.simplenet.com/oilfilterstudy.html
  • jerobbinsjerobbins Member Posts: 48
    I test drove both 2wd and 4wd Silverados before I bought my 2000 Z71 with 5.3l and 3.73 locking rear. While both the Z71 and the standard 4x4 suspension are stiffer off road, to me they felt more controlled and comfortable than the 2wd with a locking rear differential. The 4wd vehicles seemed to handle better both on and off road, especially when I was cruising on the highway. I also like the height when I'm on the highway, although I wish I could shrink the truck before parking it.

I know that my Z71 has 265 tires - I don't know what the tires were on all the vehicles that I tested.

My truck has about 600 miles on it and has no vibration, etc. I do get an occasional clunk from the driveshaft when turning at low speeds (< 10 mph), but a couple of mechanics have told me that it won't harm anything. I'm extremely happy with this truck!

However, my car is a 1986 Chevrolet Caprice, which is about the same width and less than a foot shorter, so I'm used to parking and driving a large vehicle.
  • planejaneplanejane Member Posts: 167
    Performance Products
    www.performanceproducts.com
    has full catch-all floor mats that me and I think Vince4 are getting.

BTW: (Tim) or anyone..
    Have you ever noticed, that some mornings (twice so far for me), the tranny temp gauge takes a long time to register? What I was wondering was, the trans seems to run cool anyway, but one morning the first few miles, while in Iron Mountain, MI - it took a while for the dial to get to a temp. This morning when I drove to work, the dial (pointer) was low and didnt move up to any markers. Is this normal? I was wondering the first time, if the gauge was working, then it came up, this morning I only had a 20 minute ride to work but it didn't get a chance to get to a temp. marker. What do you think?

Cindy
    starts at 100 degrees....so if it doesn't get hot..it won't register. As the colder weather sets in..you will notice this more. If you stomp on the gas a bit...the tranny will work harder being in lower gears longer and heat up quicker. This morning I drove 25 miles to work..half highway..and it didn't register until almost at work.

Don't sweat it.

it's normal.

- Tim
    I did restart it and noticed that it jumped down to and back up a little - so it did move.

Talk to ya later. (Me Paranoid?)
    Don't get as hot as engines for the most part.
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    ...you're planning on storing something greasy, something that has the potential to damage your interior, or a full-size refrigerator what can you not fit in the largest extended cab offered in full size trucks today? ok, j/k, i'd put a box in mine too if i had one - someday. good luck, thanks for an informative post on the positive side...
  • lexmarklexmark Member Posts: 68
    You were asking,

"I was also thinking about a utility box(aluminum)
    as there really are not many places to store things in spite of the extended cab."

Granted, each truck owner has their own reasons for choices.

Here are a few reasons why I might chose a hard tonneau cover instead of a tool box:

1. Everything on the back of your truck is secure, including your tools. You can put lots of tool boxes under the cover!
    2. When you need space, the cover is usually easy to remove and gives you complete access to your truck bed.
    3. Fuel economy is better using a cover as opposed to leaving an open truck bed.

You may have different requirements from these.
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    I have yet to see one that's not "dented" yet. Some colors hide it better though.

Richard
  • zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    Where are the dents you refer to? I don't see any on mine. Mine is the Dark Carmine Red.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    Since there are two plants that produce trucks, it's probably safe to assume that only one of them is producing the dented tailgates. Maybe rwagoner is seeing all trucks from a single plant.
  • billm44billm44 Member Posts: 5
    the 5.3L with auto while at idle after the engines warmed up a bit. At Idle mine runs around 45 to 50psi and at a constant speed of 60+ the gauge is indicating near 65psi...does this seem a bit high to anyone or am I guilt of gauge glaring? Any comments would be appreciated... also when I gun it (I rarely do so) or step on it the pressure will spike to 80psi and stop,til I let up, no leaks though, sure hope this is the norm? Thanks for any insight

Bill

Tim never let posting cause your beer to get warm
  • wang2wang2 Member Posts: 29
    I think what they are referring to is the surface deformation that occurs around the gate handle assembly when the cutout is stamped for the handle. I'm like Rwagoner, haven't seen one without the waver in the steel, either. But maybe it's just that I see the ones that are obvious. Can't imagine it's a one plant phenom., though. I've seen too many.

Gives the tailgate a little character! Besides, gotta give the Toyota guys(and what's the deal with their hood ornament? looks like a dude with a hat on) something to talk about.

-Bryan
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    Thanks guys for the informative responses.

Werking: I really was not planning on hauling anything particularily large or greasy. It's just that I'm the kind of guy that likes to be prepared and so I like to haul with me a set of jumper cables, tow strap, come-along, basic tools, and similar items, especially with hunting season here.

My problem is that my wife and 12 year old daughter love this truck as much as I do so they are invariably there when I try to sneak out for a drive...hence the need for a place to store things outside the cab area.

Lexmark: Your argument for a tonneau cover is intresting. This is something that had not occured to me. My thoughts:
    1. You sure got me on the better gas mileage point.
    2. You say they are easy to get into and out of.
    Would this be true for anyone? Or are they lockable?

I'll look into them.

On the oil pressure post: Rarely gun it? Hell, thats half the fun of this truck. My oil pressure stays between 55-60 at 2500 rpm with the 5.3 and automatic transmission. I agree with TIM, I would say you are OK. But, I am not sure that it should jump to 80 when accelerating. You might want to run that one by your local Chevy Service dept. It does seem these small block, high compression engines run at a much higher pressure. My '86 Ford F250 4X4 with a 351 Cleveland ran at a constant 50 pounds.

That "dent" we are referring to is located on the bottom side of the tailgate latch. RWAGONER: After your post, I pulled the truck into the garage and under florescent lights and a flashlight, I still cannot find a dent of any consequence. My truck is med. charcoal gray so you would think it would reveal a dent rather easily. Maybe I just don't want to find anything wrong!!

Sorry about the lengthy post...but I love to talk about this truck!
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    They really aren't of any consequence anyway, and most people have to have it pointed out to them while looking at the correct angle. My wife thinks I'm nuts for noticing it in the first place, but as I said, I have not seen one without it yet. And I've looked at many. The new 2000s at the dealer have it from both plants.

Bright sun at a distance is when I see it the most, so that you are looking at the tailgate from a perspective that shows reflections well. But perhaps they finally fixed the tooling. Or perhaps they have a new tool that stamps correctly while the others don't. In any event, I guess I don't have to worry about getting the "first dent."

It's still the best truck on the market.

Richard
    Electro Rear View Compass..

How's everyone like their's? I don't have one and wish I did, darnit.

What's it like?
  • gnawrockignawrocki Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Pace - Edwards roll top bed covers? Any anomolies with getting the thing to work with a Line-X bedliner? My local accesories dealer has them for $625 and I was thinking about pulling the trigger before we start to get snow.

http://www.pace-edwards.com/default.htm
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I have the Roll-N-Lock bed cover on my 97 Z71. I like it very much. It works well with a 5th wheel hitch as it is a self storing cover. The Roll-N-Lock is stronger than the Pace Edwards. They claim it will hold 200 pounds without damage. Also the Roll-N-Lock locks both into the side rails and the tail gate. The Pace Edwards only lock into the side rails. So a seperate lock is required for the tail gate. I have been looking at both for my next truck and my Pace Edwards dealer has an electric lock for the tail gate that works with the doorlocks for $110 installed. That leaves it still a couple of hundred less than the Roll-N-Lock. The Pace Edwards does not provide a strap to pull it shut like the RNL. The RNL has a rail installed on the inside of the tail gate to lock to. I was concerned it might get damaged, but I have stood on it a number of times with no problem. There is another brand called Specialites Covers that is electric. Also has a remote. Just push a button and it rolls up. We use our cover all the time to haul stuff. When traveling with our fifth wheel we have it stored and when we get where we are going take stuff caried in the fifth wheel and put in the bed of the truck and lock it up. ... Rich
  • murizarmurizar Member Posts: 33
    If you want a toolbox worthy of the SILVERADO get the platinum series at $450 like I did. Now that is a man's box. Get it at http://www.tractorsupplyco.com/catalog/truckacc/p255.htm
    WARNING: Should only be used on the long bed truck because it will not fit in your Christmas stockings…look at the dimensions at http://www.deezee.com/products/toolboxes/platinumseriesinfo.html. OK it will fit but it will look out of proportion. At 5'5" 170lb two of me can fit in the box. Perfect for Christmas gentleman and ladies. For that short bed man or woman get the Geneva steels at http://www.tractorsupplyco.com/catalog/truckacc/p257.htm
    The compass, auto-dimming rear view is ok. I didn't "ask" for mine. I bought an LS because I did't want leather interior or the electric seating. The dealer had to do a swap with another dealer to get my truck with all the options I wanted on it. I did not want to wait 6 weeks or longer to order one.

Long story short, the rear view is a nice to have, especially the autodimming feature at night time. However, like a lot of things, I could have easily done without it.

I am perfectly happy with my 1/2 ton and 5.3l, but wish now I had just gone for the gusto and got one of those massive, awesome 6.0l 3/4 tons like you have. It doesn't really matter. This truck is more than I even need and I will most likey buy or lease another one in 2-3 years. I am like Tim. It works out better for me. I am spoiled on having a new truck often. I can do it, so why not? I'll get it ALL next time.....
    Clay,

You may have missed one point I made about tonneau covers. They use gas filled struts to make opening and closing much easier, so, yes they are easy to open and close. In fact, one by Stylemaster is hinged in the middle for even easier opening and stores in the box when folded up. See: http://www.netruckcap.com/att1.htm

My point about bed access refers to the ease with which most of these tonneau covers can be removed from your truck. Simply unhook the two struts, lift the cover until the front hinges disengage, and remove the entire cover. The bed is now ready to bring home that new refrigerator your wife just bought!
    I got a bigger dent. Some one backed into my truck some time last week and dented my rear bumper. It had to have been another truck or SUB because the damage was straight into the upper left side of the bumper only. The thing that kills me is that now I have a 3" by 2" bare metal rectangle mark where the bumper met the truck body. I called the dealer yesterday and they told me they will sell me the individual chrome part of the bumper for only $426.07 plus tax. Does any one out there have a bumper they don't need? Please contribute to the the Mario fund "a bumper is a terrible thing to waste."
  • tuckyboy1tuckyboy1 Member Posts: 36
    If you decide to get a new bumper, check out ranchhand.com. They're website doesn't show any accessories for the new Chevy bodystyle, but a buddy of mine in Austin says that they do have new product. He's about to buy a grillguard for his 00 Silverado.

- tuckyboy1
  • shamptonshampton Member Posts: 53
    Planejane - I did choose the Electrochromatic mirror as an option , and I'm very happy with it to this point. Only thing I found a little frustrating was changing the factory "US sector" calibration for the compass. You need to go through a number of steps in several seconds - and if you miss a step/make any error - you must start all over.

The truck has been on the road for 2 1/2 weeks now with 1400 miles on it. I could not be happier.

Nieghbors laugh - as they fear I may wash the paint off of the Indigo Blue metallic finish (4 washes since delivery)!
    Wow, you don't mess around. You could kill Toyotas with those bumpers (just kidding). My co-worker saw the website and within 10 minutes he ordered a grill guard for his Expedition. The SILVERADO is not rated for the 20k tow, 2.5k tounge but you can't beat it at that price. I am sold. Thanks for the info.
  • mwatchmwatch Member Posts: 5
    bassamatic - if you are anywhere near snow, how do the Michelin LTX M&S do in inclement weather? I am not a fan of Firestones (although you may as well call them Bridgestones) and would rather have the Michelins. I have been told they have a better ride, better snow traction, and are quieter.
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    In my opinion, the Michelins LTX are the best all around tires you can buy today. My wife has a set on her Jeep and I fully expect them to go 70000 miles. They are super quiet at freeway speeds and when we lived in the Pacific Northwest, they were excellent in the occassional snows. We are now retired and living in the Midwest and this will be our first winter here, so I am not sure of the snows to come, but expect the same performance from them. MWATCH: If you are running Firestones on your new Silverado, leave them on. They are a decent tire and should hold up well. I expect 40000 to 50000 miles out of them, then I will upgrade to Michelins.

The Electrochromatic rear view was on my "must have" list also. You can live without it, but it does make driving that much more enjoyable. I would have also jumped on a Trip/Mileage computer if it were available.

As far as that post (zbad71?) on wanting a 3/4 ton. I've had four going back to the 70's and unless you are a rancher in Wyoming or in the construction business, I'm not sure that big of a truck is necessary. In those days I did a lot of off-road hunting in Idaho and I wanted them for clearance purposes only. By the way, they were all Ford's, but This 1500 Silverado is a better truck than all of them combined. It will haul a bass boat just fine, and is MUCH more pleasant to drive.

Still haven't decided on a utility box (thanks for the links MURIZAR- I visited them all) and will decide shortly. My biggest problem is with a short bed I am eating up almost two feet of a six foot bed!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Hey I was wondering how that indigo blue paint is. Is it hard to clean like black worse better??? I really want it just would like to know how it is. It is a beautiful color. Did u get the black fender flares????? Well any help of yours would be great thanks

Ryan
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Wife has a Tahoe - two tone indigo blue with pewter bottom. We love this color combo. When it is washed it looks great. It is hard to keep clean, shows the dust and water spots are a real pain. After wash you have to work extra hard to dry it good or you can see every place that you missed. I have a Silverado LT 4x4 that is pewter and it does not show the dust and no problem with water spots. But if I had it to do over again I would go with the blue.
  • 2500lt2500lt Member Posts: 18
    That had the Indigo with Pewter flares a week ago..has a an Indigo with black flares.

Pewter flares look better with this truck.

- Tom Dunkel
    Where is this truck????? I have only seen the 3/4 tons i wanna see a Z71.

Pewter is a nice color first color i wanted but everyone here has a pewter one :( I was in a parking lot a few wks back there were 5 of em 3 parked right next to each other. I like the blue better because the black flares will look nice and then i can add black nerf bars and a black grill guard. I think the blue complimented with the black will be a sweet truck.
    the last one I took pics of for ya. - Hamilton Chevrolet - warren Michigan

- Tom Dunkel
  • alchavezalchavez Member Posts: 28
    Well, I finally stopped researching this topic, broke down, and ordered my 2000 GMC SLT. (Pewter, 4x4, extended cab, 5.3l)

OH, and 4th door option.

Dealer said it was perferenced last Tuesday and told me it will take approx 6 weeks to build. Let's see how GM ramps up production on those 4th door trucks and hopefully I'll get mine by Christmas!

I'm usually Mr. Skeptical but I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

Wish me luck everyone!!!!

Alex
    My 2000 2500 didn't flash either at the first change...and I didn't even bother with it this time..

Course I didn't wait 30 seconds either....

..One more stupid device I won't be using I guess..

- Tim
  • mpazosmpazos Member Posts: 42
    By now, everyone knows about the Duramax 6600(diesel) and Allison 5 speed auto that will be introduced in the Fall of 2000. But does anyone know if the HD trucks that this power train will be used in will have a straight axle(4X4) front end and scrap the IFS? For fans of the General, I hope so...
  • alvinskialvinski Member Posts: 8
    Alex could you find out what the option code is for the fourth door please? The dealership has told me I have to wait until Nov 8th before I can order the truck with this option. Thanks
    Glad you are enjoying your truck just as much as me! I think I might call the dealer to see how much they can put an electrochrome mirror in, just out of curiosity. So far I have racked up 5200 miles in the last just over 6 weeks that I have had it. Its still irresistable to me every morning.

Its real dirty this morning. They have forcasted rain this week, so I put off washing it. Last week I washed it and got it real spiffy lookin' then the same afternoon it rained, and it looked like [non-permissible content removed]! So, I have put off the wash and it really really looks bad today.

Last Sat. got up at 330am and went salmon fishing near Kenosha Wisc. I have never been fishing like this! The daily catch limit is 5 each, I could have had all the fish I wanted, while in chest waders in the creek, Chinooks were swimming into me, jumping around me, geez, this is a creek where the fall Chinooks swim upstream to spawn, little do they know there is a damn about a mile down, and they just keep coming in and hundreds of them get stuck in this little area. There were fisherman every 5-10 feet in this creek, never seen anything like it. We ended up with 13 fish in 2 hours (what would we do with more???) almost 300 lbs of Chinook Salmon. Threw them all in the back of the SILVERADO and took some nice pictures. Will post them when I get them back. Have some other truck pictures to post maybe this afternoon if I have time.

Awesome. Next month the Rainbows are spawning in the same area. - Cindy
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Sure wish you would try some of the new Goodyear tires. The last major tire company left that is American owned. I continue to buy american when I can and if the quality/cost is within 20%

I've had good luck with the GSA's on my 1 ton ford. Will buy maybe the RFA's when my stock tires wear out.

Just askin'. Thanks!
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    ryanbab,

I've got that picture of a 2000 Silverado LT, 1500, Z-71, 265's, that is Indigo with black wheel opening flares.
    Post your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

David H.
    Has anyone seen the factory GM tonneau cover? Is it a hard cover? Does it hinge in the middle or is it a one piece system?
  • jerobbinsjerobbins Member Posts: 48
    I've looked at the pictures of the tonneau cover and talked to some of the installers at my dealership. It's made of four pieces of metal (aluminum and steel) hinged together. The design sounds pretty nice, except for the fact that it leaks. It was mentioned in another post on this board and someone else besides the dealer mentioned that it also leaked for them.
    on the road.

Look pretty tacky.

Skip that one and find a nice aftermarket one.
    My email address is ryanbab28@aol.com. THanks for taking the pic. Did u notice the MSRP of the truck? Thanks again hope to hear from u soon.

Ryan
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    I went with the exTang soft tonneau cover. It has nice alumuminum rails that clamp onto the bed. There are no drill holes, cutting or any other kludges that you can think of. It looks nice, and has adjustable snaps and cross rails so you can set the look.

http://www.extang.com/saber.htm
    I love the truck. It's awesome. However, I would have gone with the Carmine Red, Indigo blue or Black.
  • stevostevo Member Posts: 37
    Looking for a good set of floor mats to take the place of the cheap factory set that came with my '00 Z71. Like the Weathertech mats but I called and they said they have something like 37 different mats and they give you the ones that fit the best for your vehicle. They do not have custom fit mats for different vehicles. I want a custom fit mat made to fit these trucks. Anyone find any mats that fit nicely? I prefer rubber or equivalent for easy cleanup of mud, etc.
This discussion has been closed.