Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda B Series

Comments

• elebronelebron Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new b3000 Troy Lee with 4 speed auto trans and convinience package. Got a good price for 2400 including 1500 rebate . I like the
    16 inch wheel baseand the awsome stiles and firmnes. So far 34 miles on it. I hope it turn out
    to be as good as my 88 Toyota. By the way if you
    want to increase the life span of any engine after
    5000 miles or so use Prolong engine treatement. I have use it as well as other on the market without
    ptf and have gotten great results. It will help with the clanking on cold morning.

so long
    Gene
  • jloco1jloco1 Member Posts: 34
    Is that a 4.0 V6?
  • xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    I have heard that the Ranger will get the SOHC 205HP engine sometime in mid-2000. Any word if this engine will also be available for the MAZDA B-series?
    Although I really like my B-3000 FWD, I would
    seriously consider trading up for the stronger
    engine. Thanks...
  • hmerglerhmergler Member Posts: 85
    As of right now, Ford has made it clear that any mod changes that are made to the Ranger will also be available in its twin Mazda B-Series. The one thing that Ford might do is delay the B-Series mod until after the Ranger is on the market. Ford did the same thing with the 4-door Ranger. It was a couple of months after the 4-door Ranger appeared before you could get the 4-door B-Series.

As for the 205-hp SOHC engine... rumors have been floating around for a while, but the latest I've heard is either a mid 2000 model Ranger or the 2001 Ranger.

- The Merg
  • crothenbachcrothenbach Member Posts: 1
    Am I the only one who owns the base model pickup, or are there more of us out there bowing our heads in shame at owning a base of the base model? I am very happy with my truck so far.. It's a 1999 B2500SX with manual trans. It doesn't even have a cassette, just a dinky stereo. BUT...it gets great gas mileage, is fun to drive, is a great shade of red, and I've only seen one other one on the road. For those of you counting mpg, I have never gotten less than 23mpg so far, and I drive in terrible traffic to work and home. I also looked at the frontier, which seems to be a bad word around here. Those trucks don't even come with a split bench seat, according to the dealer I talked to!!! I also took a look at the ranger, but when I told them my price range, they laughed and led me into the used car section. They showed me a base model 1997, with 30,000 miles on it!!! But I would love to hear any comments on the B2500SX, if anyone out there owns one!?!
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    If it makes you feel better. Here in the NW Mazda is doing a comparison side by side to a Nissan Frontier in their TV ads. The Mazda looks 10x better. The Nissan looks frumpy and is just plain ugly. The price advantage the Frontier held at introduction is now gone. The Mazda actually offers you more!
  • nicknick Member Posts: 5
    B2500 is a @.5L 4cly. August 1998 3 friends of mine bought 1998 B2500 SE short bed trucks with auto and air SE Pkg. $16300 window price for $10,999. plus tax in N.W. Indiana. This August the trucks were on sale again (1999's) for $1,000. more. I bought a 1998 SE Ext. cab with 5 sp. and air and 4 cyl. $17775 window for $12499. plus tax with $500. coupon from Mazda. Hold out till end of model year for best prices on Mazda trucks, they always have large incentives at end of year run.
  • nicknick Member Posts: 5
    My truck also has the 4dr.option.
  • romsterromster Member Posts: 2
    I have been researching the Mazda B2500 xtra cab. I liked what I've seen so far but I am not certain if it really is reliable as it appears. I don;t go off road. I needed a truck for occational trips to Home depot for supplies but I needed the truck mainly for transportation. I drive 65 miles both ways to work so the gas mile age on the b2500 is perfect.

My situation got complicated when I saw the Frontier Crew Cab. It has 4 doors and appears to be more elbow room thus the increase in comfort. The downside is the gas mileage. It only comes in standard V6. I was under the impression that this is a better truck.

I still like the b2500 as a daily car but after reading the report from this website....I'm getting even bigger concerns.

pls. send me all your advise regarding this..

Thanks!
    Thanks for the positive words about the Mazda
    advertising. We don't see any Mazda ads down here in Tucson. It really is a shame. I feel the Mazda B-Series is a real diamond in the rough. People just don't seem to be aware of the B-Series product.
    I own a 1999 B3000 4WD 4door with manual tranny and the conv pack option. It is the Harvest Gold
    color. A beautiful truck. I get many compliments on it.
    It is my first 4WD and I am very pleased with it. Steering/Braking/Handling/Build Quality, all are excellent. I never get less then 20mpg in
    all purpose driving around Tucson. On a recent road trip to Colorado, I got right at 23mpg.
    Off road, I'm a novice, I'm learning. But I will say that it is amazing what these vehicles are capable of scrambling over. While 4 wheeling
    in Colorado I would have to say that the truck's
    capabilities far exceeded my ability to drive it.
    I've got about 7,000 miles on it and like the
    truck very much. Thanks for your input to the Mazda forum. I have read many of your comments elsewhere and I find them helpful. As you would
    say: "See you in the hills."
  • rugged2rugged2 Member Posts: 1
    What is the repair record for the 99 B4000's? I've had Mazdas all my life and loved them all til I got the Fort/Mazda hybrid ('94 4x4 SE cab plus). Things that needed replacement in 1st 3 yrs included clutch, hubs on 4wheel drive, speedometer, engine seal!
    Once bitten, twice shy now. Thinking about going with the Ranger, but as always, Mazda's price and options are better..as well as having the longer warranty. Any feedback would be great!
  • susanb4susanb4 Member Posts: 2
    I have my new truck a week now and I absolutely love it! It's the extended cab model with 4x4 and auto. transmission and it has every possible option available. It was a showroom 1999 model that they reduced by $2500 then another $1500 rebate on top of that. Anybody else out there with this version; did you have the decals removed? I decided to keep the flames but I don't like the "Troy Lee Designs" on the doors. I've also ordered the A.R.E. fiberglass tonneau cover as recommended on one of these forums. This is my first truck, so I've gathered alot of info from this board. Thanks.
    Congrats on your new truck!!! I think the Mazda
    B-Series (the 4WD's in particular) are one of the nicest looking compact trucks on the market.
    Be sure to take it for some off-road fun. These
    machines are very capable vehicles. Enjoy...
  • cowboys0000cowboys0000 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 95 B2300 in December of 95. I wanted an
    economical vehicle and I got the cheapest junk on
    the market today. My truck has been in the shop 18
    times in 3.5 years. I tried to get in touch with a
    mazda rep for a meeting for a year. I plastered stuff on the internet and he finally got in touch
    with me. I have had water leaks inside the truck,
    leaking main seals, water pump had to be replaced,
    and with 41000 miles the gas gauge quit. I contacted my warranty and they told me that was not covered because it was a "wear and tear" part.
    Is that crazy or what. I have never heard of the
    gas gauge being a wear and tear part. When the
    mazda rep came, he told me that I have not had any
    abnormal problems with my vehicle. He told me that
    my troubles were about par for the course. 18 shop
    visits in 3.5 years and the truck still has only
    47,000 miles on it. I hear that if you get a good one then it is okay, but if you get a bad one then
    no one will deal with you. This is just the tip of
    the iceberg when it comes to my lemon. I was told
    by the body repairman that this vehicle was either
    wrecked or it was defective. Mazda says sorry but
    it is yours. I have not wrecked it nor have I abused it. The dealership mechanic even asked me
    if I wrecked it or if the vehicle is defective.
    Mazda said that sometimes the assembly line gets
    out of whack, but that the vehicle is not unsafe.
    It may not be unsafe, but it is not right, and
    Mazda did not stand behind this product.
    I see that your mazda is a new one. Just wait until you start having problems with it and see
    what kind of service you get. From personal experience, I have found that Mazda is the worst
    manufacturer in the United States. I just hope for
    your sake that you dont start having any problems
    I HAVE A MAZDA/FORD HYBRID TOO. A 95 AND MY RECORD IS AS FOLLOWS. WATER LEAKING INSIDE THE CAB
    WHEN RAINING, TWO FRONT MAIN SEALS, WATER PUMP,
    TIMING BELT. I HAVE HAD A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH MAZDA AND I WILL NEVER OWN ONE OF THESE LEMONS AGAIN. I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GET AWAY FROM
    THESE BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE. MAZDA TO MAKE A LONG
    STORY SHORT DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS.
    I HAVE A DEFECTIVE ONE AND ALL I HEARD WHEN A REP
    FINALLY GOT BACK TO ME WAS SORRY FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE BUT IT IS NOT UNCOMMON. THE TRUCK WAS
    IN THE SHOP 18 TIMES IN 3.5 YEARS AND THIS IS A
    COMMON PRACTICE??
  • amoslamosl Member Posts: 7
    Way back at post 120 was mentioned a rollover at low speed. Has anyone else experienced coming close to doing this? I have felt this about to happen a couple times-losing traction at very low speeds-not upon accelaration, but upon hitting a different type of pavement or pavers or something. I drive like granny. I have a B2500 5spd, xcab, 4door, 1999. I love it, but it feels a little hard to control, compared to my 1986 B2000, which was of course lower to the groun. This new one feels like it could get out of control easily. Sorry I don't know the correct words to describe this, but high center of gravity or what?? Please give me your thoughts-if you've felt it too.
  • trwxxatrwxxa Member Posts: 1
    I also own a pre-ford mazda, a 1993 b2600i. the last of the true mazdas. best truck I've ever owned. it has 227,000 miles and still going strong. Only had to put brakes on once, new front end bearings, clutch kit and finally the water pump last winter. Hope to keep it forever. Still get 28 mpg during the summer and 25-26 in the winter.
    No, I haven't experienced that possible rollover
    condition that you describe. In fact I feel my '99
    B3000 4WD handles very well. Compared to my previous truck ('90 Chevy 1/2 ton 2WD), my Mazda
    feels much more nimble and stable. That Chevy had some serious body-lean problems. I almost rolled
    the Chevy on a couple of occasions, but not the
    B3000...

susanb -
    How's the new B4000 Troy Lee doing? Had it off road yet? Just wondering...
    Just an FYI the Ranger/Mazda is known for its superb handling and road ride. Its skidpad also ranks second in the compact class.
    Has anyone added skid plates or a K&N air charger to their B-Series? I've got a 1999 B3000 4WD and am interested in adding both...
  • hopewell1hopewell1 Member Posts: 2
    I've noticed a lot of people raving about their Mazdas here, but I'm wondering if anyone has had the kind of experience I have. I purchased new (unfortunately) a 1994 B2300 SE 5-speed. At about 8,000 miles the engine starting pinging. You know, spark knock. Equally unfortunately, I didn't understand my state's lemon law at the time this all started, or I wouldn't have had to live with this awful vehicle. Please don't start recommending fixes. We've been through them all -- from stuff as simple as changing gasolines to remanufacturing the entire head. And everything in between -- all sensors replaced (including the infamous MAF sensor), entire EGR system (pipe, solenoid and all), replaced the truck's computer TWICE (thank God it was under warranty then -- over $400 for the computer chip), etc. The truck has been in the shop more times than I care to remember, sometimes for as much as two weeks. It's never gotten the EPA-rated highway gas mileage on the sticker, it's started burned oil, about a quart between changes, and now it's leaking transmission fluid. Any of you had this pinging nightmare and other problems with their Ford/Mazda? Reading the "four-banger" postings on fordranger.com is like reading a textbook on spark knock. I'm about six months from getting a new truck, and I'm sorry, fellow fans, but I cannot and will not consider another vehicle with a Ford engine in it. Not after four years of having to take my vehicle to the shop at least twice a month, only to have everybody scratch their heads. Yeah -- crazy 'bout my Ford truck. Time to enter the final FRONTIER.
    Hate to break the news to you but the Frontier is not without fault. Better scroll through Frontier rooms too before you jump into one.
    I have heard pinging and knocking instances from all lines of Ford/Mazda engines, the 2.3, 3.0, and the 4.0. I have a 4.0 with 20K and its been flawless. I do however run 89 octane and 92 octane, I stay away form 87. Did you try different dealerships? Its amazing how they can be like night and day when it comes to their tech staff. I don't know much about the new 2.5 though when talking 4cyl's. Sorry about your bad luck, hope things work out.
  • joe111joe111 Member Posts: 28
    I have a 1996 B2300 I bought used in 1998. It had 90,000 miles,all highway, and it runs and looks like new. Does anybody know when a new timing belt is recommended for the B2300? I looked in the manual but I can find no info on timing belt replacement. This is a great little truck; I don't want to do any damage to it if I go beyond a recommended belt change.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Typically about 60k - 90k miles for a timing belt change.
    http://theautoshop.com/timing.html
  • joejoejoe1joejoejoe1 Member Posts: 9
    I am interested in getting a short bed regular cab V6 pickup with 4x2, but I want to get on my truck
    1. ABS
    2. Limited Slip Differential.
    I can order a truck like this from Ford, but Mazda's information will not allow either option to be ordered. This should not be the case because they are built on the same line from the same parts. I know this occurs because it simplifies the inventory, but does anyone know whether I can special order a truck with these options? I would like to get a Mazda because it usually has much larger rebates than Ford and dealers often will sell below cost so they can get allocations of vehicles more in demand.

PS: I am still hesitant about purchasing this truck (or the ford) because of the problems with the 3.0 engine on this site (pinging, necessity for premium fuel, poor acceleration)(can anyone elaborate), and the uneven gaps (look at where the floor of the bed meets the front wall) I saw on vehicles in the dealer's lot. (can anyone elaborate). I may have to get a Nissan and pay extra for an extended cab in order to get ABS and a LSD. The Nissans come with ABS standard on all V6s and throw in LSD with packages but the company does not offer a V6 regular cab. Also after reading contributions to this site, I will not get a S-10/Sonoma because they sound like they and their engines are still assembled by persons still involved in the sit-down strikes of the 1930s.
  • devontiedevontie Member Posts: 35
    I have a new Ranger with ABS & LSD 3.0 Automatic only have 850 miles on it so far no engine noise.
    Very happy with power of engine despite what others say about 3.0 and a/t.
    I have two friends with 3.0's ranging from 30K to 62K and they have no problems, sounds either.
  • susanb4susanb4 Member Posts: 2
    Zenala,
    Sorry I did not respond sooner, I was out of town (no not with the truck) I have almost 1100 miles and am loving it! I have not had the chance to take it off road yet. (living on Long Island,NY isn't quite the same as most of you who live in the west, with all that great country to explore) Maybe I'll take it on the beach shortly. I'll report in again.
  • rmtimmrmtimm Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else have engine problems with the B2200 of this vintage (Japanese-built engine)? It started using oil at about 60K and quickly got much worse-- 1 quart or more every 500 miles. Had the engine torn down and found the rings were shot and the cylinders had gone out-of-round. Machine shop bored it out and rebuilt it with new pistons, rings, etc.

Now, about 40K after the rebuild, it looks like the oil use problem may be returning. It was very tight for the first 30K or so after the rebuild, using no oil between changes. Now it's starting to use up to a quart every 2,500 - 3,000 miles.

I should add that it seems to run fine, and the choke doesn't stick. Doesn't seem to be running too rich, judging from the condition of the plugs. Oil and filter have always been changed at 3,000 to 4,000 mile intervals.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?
    Has anyone upgraded their B-Series from 15 to 16 inch wheel rims? I know that I will eventually replace the Firestone A/T's on my B3000 4WD. I'll probably go with the BFG's. I was wondering if it also worth considering going to the larger 16 inch rim. Advantages, disadvantages? Any potential problems? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
    I have a Ranger with 16" wheels and have had no problems. Just watch your tire turning radius on the fronts and your bump stops. I know the Ranger can take a either a P265x75R16 or a 30/31" tire just fine. This will greatly improve your ground clearance and the stance of your truck believe me!
  • guynordeguynorde Member Posts: 3
    I have owned this truck since new and am quite happy with it overall. After reading through the list of messages, I'm very happy I opted for the 4.0 liter engine. I only noted one complaint about paint, but here is my story. We live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. Literally the end of the road as you head north. While our roads in town are mostly paved, the main (only!) highway to town still has a 60 mile stretch of gravel. We have driven out about a half dozen times. The stone chip damage around the wheel wells is excessive and several larger chips of paint have flecked of. Also, the Mazda decal on the rear tailgate peeled off over two consecutive washes with a power sprayer. We've been getting some runaround with Mazda concerning our paint complaints, though they now appear to be ready to remedy the situation. Anyone else have paint problems?
    YOu use a pressure washer on your truck???!!!. Stop now! The pressure is not helping your paint job any. And as far as excessive rocks in your area, you may want to put on some side skirting or along the bottom portion of your truck. I know its available in black and chrome. This will help with the chips on the paint too. Do you have splash guards? fender flares? These help a great deal also with flying rocks.
  • spud6spud6 Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a 94 B4000 Cab plus 4x4 with 113000 miles. I am totally new to these vehicles. I have always driven F150's. 93 F150 was killed in a T-bone on 12/3. Thought this was a good deal. Five speed perfect interior new tires new clutch reliable records never off road 6500 did I get taken or is this a keeper? Thanks!
    No, I don't think you were taken, from the sound of it the truck sounds to look like new and to have been well kept. I would however do a full tune-up, oil change, differential oil changes, alignment, the works. Did you have a mechanic check it over? or are you pretty up to date on trucks?
  • spud6spud6 Member Posts: 5
    Did all the normal mtc after purchase, I am an a/c mech for a major airline. Truck has since developed a trans leak coming from the top near the shifter. Was told of some rubber plugs on the top just below the shifter. Any ideas?
    thx
  • 5pots5pots Member Posts: 9
    Does any one Know when the present 3 litre engine will be replaced in the ranger/bseries 3 litre pickups, as I dont want one of those present pinging, unreliable 3 litre engines nor a gas guzzling 4 litre engine.

Also is the rumour a 5 cylinder engine coming out for the explorer, as this may be used in Ranger/B
    series
  • frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    Rumor is in the 2002 model year the engine will be replaced.I have the 3.0 engine and have driven for over a year with no issues. I use 87 octane with an occasional mix of high test. one the things I will do is add the K&N air filter.
    The truck overall is good, very few issues.
    DOES EVERYONE ON THIS CONFERENCE SITE WORK FOR
    MAZDA? NO ONE THAT I HAVE TALKED TO IN MY AREA IS
    HAVING THESE "WONDERFUL EXPERIENCES" WITH THEIR
    MAZDA VEHICLES. ANYONE I TALK TO IN PERSON ALL ECHO THE SAME THING I SAY- THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER PIECE OF JUNK LIKE THIS IN THEIR DRIVEWAY
    AGAIN. SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND, BECAUSE I DONT SEE
    WHERE THESE "WONDERFUL" VEHICLES ARE BEING SOLD. THE "WONDERFUL" MAZDAS ARE NOT BEING SOLD IN LOUISIANA. JUST A BUNCH OF LEMONS!!!!!!!
  • frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    I purchased my Mazda at Quirk Mazda Quincy Ma.
    The service is good as well as the buying experience. The only problem I had was with an alignment issue. But Mazda gave me a car to usw while they got it right. I have had the truck for a year and other than the gas milage i have no complaints.
    Also I don't work for Mazda.
    Frank58@aol.com
  • diaojdiaoj Member Posts: 1
    '89, B2200, Auto, 133,000 miles. Engine rebuilted. Ask for $2,500. Is it a deal?
    I am in Albany, New York. Anyone has experience on this model? Thank you.
    I own a 1998 Ranger and visit this room requalarly due to the twins of the B series and Ranger. I also added a K&N air charger kit much like your KKM. I have a 4.0 5spd Ranger XLT SC stepside with the offroad pkg and 3.73 limited slip rearend.
    If you do any type of offroading get rid of those Firejunkers now! These are a weak 4ply tire and will not stand up to much offroading. I have a P265 75R16 8ply Goodyear all terrain and it made a huge difference in the trucks ability to climb and grab. The larger tire will also improve vastly the stance, ground clearance and look of your truck. My Ranger came with skidplates to protect the gastank and driveline area. I am told Ford now offers a front skidplate and is easy to install also. I don't know how much this will help since the front suspension is sort of hidden anyway. Pop over to the Ranger room sometime.
    See you in the hills.
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    Has Mazda increased the rebate from $1000. a dealer is listing a b4000 at what looks like $1189 under his cost..
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    It sure looks like the rebates have gone up. Carsdirect.com lists a B3000 4x4 regular cab at $15,633, that's $1000 under invoice. Edmunds' list of incentives is at http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/Incentives.html
  • podie1956podie1956 Member Posts: 5
    Strangely enough, I own both a '99 Mazda B3000 4-door with A/T and 3.0 L engine AND a '99 Ford Ranger XLT with A/T and 4.0 L engine.

I have had no problems with either except that the Mazda at 4 months old and 4500 miles blew a Firestone tire that Firestone refused to replace because it was a road hazard and I was, of course, never offered a road hazard warranty (car dealers can't sell them in Florida).

The Ford is of course more powerful, gets 16-17 MPG around town and 20 on the highway; the Mazda is averaging 18 around town and 21-22 highway.

I'm hoping I don't run into any of the problems I've seen mentioned, but I guess with two of these trucks I probably will! But so far I'm loving them both, even though my 17 year old daughter has claimed the Mazda for her own!
  • dsobdnt1dsobdnt1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi all-
    I owned a pre-Ford Mazda (1990)--best little truck I ever owned. I mean it all the abuse an 18 year-old could throw at it (including irregular oil changes-once a year if I remember correctly) and seemed to ask for more!!! As a matter of fact, my father still uses it as a work horse truck.
    However....the 1999 I purchased four months ago is a completely different story. The worst part, I guess, is that I can not find another idiot stupid enough to buy it from me--even at $2,000 below what Edmunds recommends and $6,000 below MSRP.
    As a warning to other drivers of this piece of junk, the driver's side airbag will go off when making an 8mph left hand turn into a parking lot if you slide on sand and impact the curb with the
    right front tire!!! Better yet...it will cause over $2500 worth of damage to the INTERIOR of your truck (steering wheel, horn, airbag, etc.)Not to mention, it hurts like &*@#!!!! Been in 'bar-room' brawls and received punches that did not compare to that airbag!!! Apparently this is a real problem for MAZDA because most of the parts needed for repair are on national back-order!!! The truck has been in the repair shop 'awaiting parts' for over a month now!!!
    Also, could anyone enlighten me as to what *bright* engineer decided it would be a good idea to 'hard-wire' the air-conditioning's compressor into the vent control system... The stupid compressor runs continuously even if the heat is on or if you try to turn on the vents only. Does wonders for the gas mileage and horse-power not to mention that it produces lukewarm air at best!!!
    Does the B2500 even come with a suspension system... I bet the old horse and buggy deals on dirt roads provided a smother ride than my
    *superiorly engineer* 1999 Mazda!!!
    I WILL WALK BEFORE I WASTE MY MONEY ON ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THING!!!!
  • jdanjdan Member Posts: 3
    I used to believe in the Mazda nameplate. I've owned several, including 2 GLC's, an '87 B2200, an '89 B2600i4x4, and 2 '94 B3000 Mazda Rangers. I traded the first one (a 5 sp.) for another one (auto.) thinking the second one would be better. While I didn't have the mechanical problems some of you had, I have to say that they were, at best, disappointing. The ride was harsh, the power was unimpressive (esp. the auto.), the fit and finish just wasn't there. My new Nissan Frontier reminds me of the B2600i I had. Mazda should've stayed with the Japanese truck and not shared with Ford on the assembly line. Bad mistake.
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    The B-Series/Ranger isn't a bad truck (I own an old 4x4 Ranger), but I'd call it an "intermediate" rather than a true compact truck like the great old Mazda trucks. New Rangers weigh +3000lb and really need the 3.0L V6 for reasonable performance and 2000lb towing--but then the mpg drops to 17/23 at best (2WD, 5 sp). Heck, a big Silverado 2WD V6 5sp gets 17/23!

I wish someone would make a true compact truck again. By that I mean:

--front-wheel drive (so you don't have the awful bad-weather handling of RWD trucks);
    --four-cylinder 2.0L OHC engine (not OHV like the Ranger 2.5L) for good power/mpg;
    --weight well under 3000lb for good performance/fun-to-drive;
    --2000lb towing is fine;
    --NOT designed for offroad use--no 4WD option necessary--just for hauling/general utility.

In other words, an updated Mazda B2000/B2200! A compact truck based on the 626 platform might be interesting--or maybe Toyota could base one on the RAV4. How about it, Mazda/Toyota?

Just my thoughts,

Dan
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    Wish Ford would make a true compact - like you want - and a true intermediate - like I want. The Dakota is a good benchmark for what I would like to see Ford build - a little wider, a 6.5 foot bed a little more rear room and a nice overhead cam V-8, which they of course have on the shelf from the base F150. Why don't they address the Ranger problem - it does not cover the true compact truck or the real smaller than big truck. They keep compromising with a very old V-6 (4.0) that just doesn't cut it anymore. Personally, I am a little disappointed with Ford's efforts with the Ranger and wonder how they can possibly hope to continue to market it successfully. Maybe more Dodge-like competition will do the trick and maybe a little Mazda will help at the other end.