Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - III

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Toyota
This topic is a continuation of TOPIC 867....

Toyota Tacoma vs Ford Ranger - II. Please
continue these discussions here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    First, regardless of whether you agree or disagree, I have consistaintly referenced, on about a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio, sites that recognize Ford and or Ranger for Quality, reliability, owner satisfaction etc. But at least two of my sites have been independent organizations, J. D. Powers and Consumer Reports who take NO advertising money from companies that produce the products they evaluate.
    I understand that Powers rates basically owner opinions in the first 3 months on some issues however you failed to notice that one award was for the year for plant quality placing Ford second only to BMW, and this is importaint, IN THAT PARTICULAR SURVEY.
    I think it is says alot in itself that such independent organizations recognize QUALITY.

You presented no supporting data regarding your claim that Ranger differentials are made to marry both an automatic and manual transmissions(Note, I SPELLED IT OUT to avoid confusion).

Do your ACTUALLY READ the stats on the vehicle you so over zealously defend? IF you did you would know that the Tacoma, LIKE the Ranger offers TWO, the 3.42 and 3.91 axle ratio, count them two on there 4WD Tacoma's. And NOWHERE, repeat, NOWHERE to be found, at least on Edmunds, is the superior 4.10 axle ratio you so often refer to. But even if it DID offer the 4.10, it would NOT mean that Toyota marries a differential to work with both an automatic or a manual trans.

However, you WILL find a 4.10 rear axle listed right here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/newtrucks/2000/ford/ranger/xlt4wdsupercabsb.html

Notice it is the Ford Ranger site on Edmunds.

See ya in the hills buddy and see if the 3.91 can compete with a true 4.10 LS differential.
    Find a 4.10 ratio rearend if you can for the 2000 Tacoma. Maybe THAT is where the price decrease came from on Tacoma. You gotta go to you local Toyota parts, TRD section to get it:

http://www.edmunds.com/newtrucks/2000/toyota/tacoma/basev64wdxtracab.html

Game, Set, Match!
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    39 posts in about 24Hours! This room has heated up!. My point exactly resale is all relative to purchase price. The price of Tacoma's are higher than a Ranger option for option this is no secret. Toyota claims to have dropped prices. If this were so I would not be too pleased knowing I paid too much to begin with if I had bought a Tacoma within the last 4 years. And I guess the resale value of the Tacoma has just fallen?
    Price - Tacoma is the most expensive compact truck on the market today. I feel its not worth it, while others claim it is.
    TRD package - very small percentage of people will buy this package, even a smaller percentage will use it like its supposed to be used, and even a smaller percentage know how to use it.
    Love that sticker! The locker is only warrantied up to 5mph, Toyota has assured they won't back you if you ruin the system above 5mph. The locker is then useless. The limited slip on the Ranger is always available when towing or hauling or offroad at any mph. This is a sales gimmick for the yuppie crowd.
    As far as the HP increase on the 2.7. The 2.7 doesn't need a HP increase it needs TORQUE to be a real truck.
    And once again spoog wants folks to see the TOTAL numbers on the NHSTA site. As I keep saying anyone who actually starts to read these will see the majority don't affect the Rangers safety or reliability and discount the many duplicates.
    The Ford Ranger continues to outsell the Tacoma almost 4 to 1. The Tacoma has been on the market for almost 5 years and still no sign of it making a great impact on Ranger sales. Consumers have spoken year after year after year after year...
    Some claim Ford has more dealerships. This is a joke. I am an informed consumer. If the Ranger was a terrible truck didn't meet my wants for value, ride, handling ect... I would drive the extra mile to the Toyota dealership, Nissan dealership or even the Dodge dealership if they had the better value.
    Facts are facts the Ranger is the best all around compact truck on the market today serving more consumers with what they want for the price they are willing to pay.
    Serious question.
    What year Tacoma do you own, is it manual or automatic and is it a limited, or regular XCab?
    When you looked for your truck, did you happen to keep the brochure on the Tacoma?
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Go to the Toyota website (www.toyota.com), click on Tacoma, click specifications, click mechanical specifications, then select 4x4. Voila! An available 4.10:1 rear differential ratio on the Tacoma!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Sorry about the delay in answering your question on what would happen if the diff lock broke in the engaged mode. I spoke to one of our techs and I got a confused look. This guy is a master tech and he was not sure what would happen. His quote was "it wont happen." We all know that things can happen but I think the chances of the diff lock getting stuck are pretty remote.

I have been selling these things for awhile and I have never had a customer who actually needed to use the lock. Unless you are doing something very extreme, 4 wheel drive low is going to get you out of just about anything even with open differentials. The diff lock is only get get you unstuck. Once you are out, take it out of that mode.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I hope it helps.
    clif
    thanks for the info. I just thought that if it is electrical and stayed locked, there should be a way to disengage, sort of like the headlights on 87 celica's can be raised manual in case of a failure in the system. You would use a locker on steep hills, real steep and in wheel grabbing mud.
    Not much use for it on the freeway.

mmcbride1:
    Technically I am correct as I cited Edmunds. But, since I got the attention of a Tacoma guy, what configuration of transmission/engine do you see on that Toyota site for the 4.1 gearing? There should be 2 configurations. I would rather hear it coming from a Tacoma guy than a Ranger guy because some on this site would not think I was telling the truth.
    According to my Source Book, the Standard ratio ranges between 3.909 to 4.1. However, most of these trucks come with larger wheels and tires and/or locking differential which raises it to 4.1 to 4.55. Tell me which model, engine, transmission and tires you are interested in and I will look up that combo for you.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    If you would have reead the 4wheelere link you would have known the Tacoma offers the 40:10 gearing. YOu would have known its crawl ratio is EXCELLENT. The Tacoma beat the Ranger in every single performance category. Every one in Petersons offroad June and in 4wheelers offroad comparison. Game....set...match. Heck, thats why the Tacoma was picked unanimously.

Lets take a look again at the NHSTA stats that Consumer Reoprts and other s utilize:

Defect Investigations 99 :

Ranger- 124
    Tacoma -20

Technical service reapair bulletins 85-99:

Ranger-526
    Tacoma-40

Safety recalls 89-99:

Ranger-280
    Tacoma-80

It looks like your the one unable to come to a compromise Cspounser. Other Ranger owners here have conceded thequality and performance areas to the Tacoma, while I have conceded the price and safety issues to the Ranger.

For some reason, you seem to be under the very dellusional impression that the Ranger wins in all these categories. Why bother trying to basically lie and say that the Tacoma doesnt offer a 4:10 differential when it has since its inception?

Most Ranger and Tacoma owners can agree that each truck has something to offer, and does better in certain categories. YOu on the other hand, seem bent in some dellusional void.

The battle is over.
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    How do I know what rear end I have on my Taco? I have a '99 4x4 extra cab, 5 spd, 2.7 engine with the TRD package. I have not noticed different rear ends offered as an option. Just curious.

I'd like to make a comment on my earlier post about the 5mph limit, and that I thought that was "lawyer speak". I didn't mean that Toyota doesn't think the differential can handle speeds over 5mph (Vince8), I meant they probably don't think YOU can handle the truck safely above that speed. I have heard that steering is difficult while the diff is locked.

1,500 miles on my new Taco and I love it!
    It was a setup spoog and I thought I did it very well. I KNEW the configuration of the Tacoma.

For a long time I believe you have been posting that you own a Tacoma, TRD, 5 speed manual, 4.10 rearend.

The Toyota site and the Tacoma sales brochure list the only configuration of a 4.10 rearend as mating up with the AUTOMATIC transmission.

Now, somebody else than spoog, like hindesite who I would trust, correct me if that is in error for older year Tacomas.

Also, I do not agree with your comment on differentials for Ford in their 3.73 and 4.10 for the 4X's but it is my opinion that those ratio's are very close to the Tacoma's 3.91 and 4.10.

I have commented very favorably regarding the Tacoma in the past and you, and more importaintly everyone else on this board knows that.
    You have a 4.10 rear end. Toyota does not offer different ratios as an individual option but rather selects the best one based on tire size and transmission. If you get a 4 cylinder extracab with the automatic transmission and 265 tires, it is 4.55!

I'll say it again, the differential lock is only to get yourself unstuck. The reason that it is difficult to turn is that the outside tire must turn faster than the inside tire and they turn at exactly the same speed if the differential is locked. The 5MPH warning is so you don't turn a corner and rip the rear end out. Once you extract yourself from a mud pit, unlock that thing and drive.
    The 4.10 rear has been on nearly every Toyota truck built for over 6 years. I know what the web site says, but they only list standard equipment. Most trucks come with optional wheels which also gives you a different drive ratio.
    Please pay attention. My truck has the 4:10 gearing, is a manual transmission, TRD and 31 inch tires.

If you would have read the 4wheeler tests you would have known this.

Why are you arguing the gearing? 4wheeler and Petersons have already favord the gearing in the Tacoma, calling the Ranger crawl ratio"delicate".

"In low-range, our automatic Ranger offered a rather delicate 22.8:1 crawl ratio (First x axle gear x low-range); the Mazda and Toyota offered 34.4:1 and 40.4:1 gearing, respectively. "

"The Tacoma came factory-equipped with the lowest axle gears of the test: 4.10:1. It was this combination of excellent gearing (First gear for the factory five-speed is 3.83:1) "

"As well as the Tacoma performed on the track, it was on the trail where the premium import seemed most comfortable. Best-in-class ground clearance, the most aggressive tread of the bunch, and a crawl ratio of better than 40:1 made the Tacoma everyone' s choice for hill climbs and steep backside descents. Even our resident auto-tranny diehards had to admit that the lively throttle response, sure-grip clutch, and built-to-work gearing meshed together as well as any championship-caliber team. In each perf ormance-related category of our test, the Toyota won"

"In truth, the Mazda does offer a crawl ratio 34 percent better than the Ford, but s even percent less than the Toyota. "
    Yes, it is hard to turn with the locker locked, as
    the rear wheels are both getting power. Its more for running staright lines in stted ascents, descnets, mud, or rockl crawling.

I could see why Toyota would put a warning claiming not to go over 5 MPH with it on. Its definately not meant for paved surfaces eiter. YOu could really warp your diff using it on dry pavement. I could see some yahoo duoong 50 in and turing into a gas station..OUCH!!
  • trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    Larger tires and wheels will yield a lower ratio on a rear end.
    which is why Toyota puts a higher one on trucks with larger wheels and tires. For example, on a V6 4X4 with manual transmission, the standard tire is a P225/75R15 and has a 3.909 differential ratio. If you get the optional 31x10.5 tires, Toyota puts on a 4.1 ratio rear end. Questions?
    Good because I am leaving for the night and will be hunting until Wednesday. See ya'll then
  • trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    I thought you were thinking changing to larger tires would increase the ratio. My mistake.
  • texasred5texasred5 Member Posts: 1
    the choices have come down to a ranger trailhead package with the 3.o v6 or the regular cab prerunner tacoma with the base engine since I have no choice,
    does anyone know why or if and when toyota will put the 6 in the regular cab. the truck will be used as basic transportation on some pretty rough dirt roads and trips to town. lots of miles but not much of a load.
    I would rather have the toyota but the engine seems absurd. recommendations???? thanks
    If the 4cyl your talking about is the 2.7 liter, it has as muvh horspeower as the Ranger 3.0 6, and 10 horespower less than the ranger 4.0.

It is lacking a bit in torque Though. From what I understand, Toyota just upped the rear gearing on their 4 cyl pickups to get some better performance out of them.

My advice is to test drive either one for a good amnout of time in the exacxt options you wer ethinking of getting.
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    Who cares how many Rangers were sold in California in 1996? That is less then a 1% difference.
  • parkman50parkman50 Member Posts: 63
    I know this doesn't exactly relate to the toy locker, but has anyone here ever driven a John Deere? It as floor step engagement locker for the rear end. Anyway, one time my cousin was stuck (extremely bad, after irrigating) and he had to use that feature on the Deere. Needless to say, they had used this feature many times before. Anyway, upon climbing out of this mess, he had to turn and climb up the side of a canal. Since he was still partially stuck as he turned to climb out, the locker was still engaged. Upon starting up the bank, not only did he "warp" the rearend, it completely broke the rear end housing. And one of the rear wheels came into the cab of the tractor. It was catastrophic failure. And that rearend is about as heavy duty as they come.

My reason for saying this is that if Toyota says to only use the locker to 5mph, they probably mean it. Ie, it's not just lawyer speak. They have higher speed/different designed purpose lockers, but it sounds like Toyotas locker is made for a quick traction out of a problem and then shut it off. Anyone should be careful to use their locker correctly on any truck. FYI.

Happy Motoring.
    That is less then a 2% difference
    I am well aware of what a locker is used for and when a locker should be used along with what type of terrain a locker is meant for. My whole point is the locker on the TRD is used so infrequently what is its advantage overall? Folks who own these 23K+ trucks won't take them into places where a locker will get its FULL use. Enjoy the sticker.
    The limited slip on the Ranger is much more functional to the everyday user. Once again on slipper wet pavement on acceleration I felt my limited slip engage when one tired started to slip. With the locker not engaged only one tire turns, a Toyota person already confirmed this. So on pavement looks like the Ranger has better traction. Unless you live in a severely remote area where there are only rocky roads, mud pits and trails, the locker is a bust.
    The 3.0 is superior to the 2.7. Torque is what you are after not HP in a truck. The Ranger also comes with a limited slip rearend to boot and will cost you less option for option.
    California has about a 55% market penetration for import brands. This is important to all automakers, foreign and domestic. The California market is huge as far as sales go. Its also a "trend setter" for the rest of the Western States as far as marketing is concerned. Over the last 5 years or so the percentage grab of the foreign makes as subsided and leveled off this may be a sign that folks are taking a look again at GM/Ford/Dodge products.
    The Fourwheeler article has been picked apart by both Toyota and Ford fans and its way one sided. And I notice price difference is not mentioned once again along with the absolutely terrible crash rating of the Tacoma.
    See you in the Hills!
    Parkman makes a VERY good point about the locker also. For those of us who take our trucks into the wilds we know how difficult manuvering can be sometimes. With the locker you MUST go straight and forward. This is not always an option if you know what I mean.
  • parkman50parkman50 Member Posts: 63
    I guess I not did sum up my story good enough. vince8 took care of that for me. Go straight, forward, and slow with the locker engaged. I would add that concern should be taken when the truck is an awkward position.

Happy Motoring.
    Since your entire argument is focused around the TRD package (so-called "useless" locker, high price, sticker), I guess you have already conceded victory to the Tacoma V6 w/o TRD package, but 16" wheels, 31" tires, AND with limited slip 4.10 rear differential, haven't you? Or are you going to come up with an even lamer (is that a word?) excuse as to how a Ranger is better?
    This topic is Tacoma vs. Ranger, not TRD vs. Ranger.
  • jwsmithjwsmith Member Posts: 46
    Bought an 00 Ranger 4X4 SC 4dr, 4.0, auto, every option but cab steps. Got the equipment desired, the color desired and a pre-tax,tag, title price of $21,911 (with rebate) and a free bed liner - with a MSRP of $25,285. The almost same Tacoma would invoice for about $24,700 (Carpoint) and MSRP for nearly $28,000 (without 4 doors). Use is 98% on road - don't climb hills or crawl over rocks - just need to get through snow and to good hunting spots. Factor in an additional $270 a year more to insure the Tacoma over the Ranger, and the Ranger was an even better value. The 88 Ranger I owned was totaled in 1993 when a person ran a red light and hit me from the passenger side - half way back through the passenger door. My daughter was not injured nor I (seat belts work) even though we took about a 35MPH hit. Safety counts - big time! The 88 had 68000 flawless miles (3.0 automatic) up to that point. Just my experience - not a review or some expert opinion. It took exactly 6 weeks to get a Ranger ordered to my specifications - no need to "dealer add" or take distributor packed profit items. I think Ford does a better job responding to the buying public at this time.
  • diode3000diode3000 Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered a Tacoma. Pre-runner, V6. Hope I get it before the 19th. I was partial to the Tacoma because I thought it looked better. The only other trucks looks I like was the s-10 ZR2. The wide stance of those wheels look awesome. But I don't really need the 4 wheel drive option. The only thing I didn't like about the tacoma, was the no stick option for pre-runners. Anyone know why that is?
    JP
    Good luck with the Prerunner! THose are nice looking trucks. I beleive the Pre0runers with the
    high ground clearance come with the locking diff?

I also just read that Ford is now copying Toyota and will be coming out with a Ranger 2wd "Pre-runner" like the Tacoma( 2wd but with 4x4 stance).

No, I have no idea what the deal is with the prerunner no stick option. I have never heard of it.
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    From what I understand, you can add the push-button locker (can't be used above 5mph and only in a straight line) to any trim level. But, other than that every rear end is open. No limited slip differential is available.
  • diode3000diode3000 Member Posts: 5
    Wow. It's kind of fun ordering online. If all goes well, then may bring me my truck at my house later this week. Black, grey interior....Locking diff.....havent read anything about mine coming with it. Now I could carry toys around. Could never do that with a car. And I love the way it looks. Hope this truck is a good experience. Never had a truck before.
    JP
    jwsmith congrats on your new Ranger. Sound nice, what color? limited slip? offroad pkg? tow pkg?. And with the excellent crash rating it will keep the family safe.
  • jwsmithjwsmith Member Posts: 46
    It's great - just turned 1000 miles. Harvest Gold - with pwr & conv pkg, off-road, class III tow, sports buckets, dual media radio, limited slip - everything but cab step option. Got an A.R.E. lid to match and looking for a bug shield. Priced a Tacoma with Carpoint.com - would have been $25700 without the convenience of 4 doors - nearly $4000 more to buy and an additional $1350 to insure over 5 years. Nearest Toyota dealer is 60 miles away and we waited 3 days for a starter last month for my wife's 91 Cressida (wish they still made them!) - My 88 Ranger never returned to the dealer for anything but oil/filter/scheduled service and I'm selling a 95 F-150 SC 4X4 with 91000 miles that has the same record for reliablility. The Toyota has been good, but had a speed sensor replaced (3 trips to get it right), CD Replaced, driver leather seat replaced (under warranty) and the alternator, exhaust system, and starter after warranty expired (now 91000 miles). Since I also don't race my truck, or compete in off-road events - value, convenience (4 doors), being able to order exactly what I want, and safety are important considerations. To these issue - the Ranger beat the Tacoma in my situation - I also have experience with both manufacturers and don't need a magazine to tell me what is best.
  • pmetzger1pmetzger1 Member Posts: 2
    It seems the Toyota run for ever, meaning 100,000 to 200,000 miles.This is one of the criteria in comparing the Ranger.I'm doing as much comparison as possible ,specs.,Insurrane cost,price, ect.But this is one I,m not sure about. Any feedback?
  • pmetzger1pmetzger1 Member Posts: 2
    It seems the Toyota run for ever, meaning 100,000 to 200,000 miles.This is one of the criteria in comparing the Ranger.I'm doing as much comparison as possible ,specs.,Insurrane cost,price, ect.But this is one I,m not sure about. Any feedback?
    Scroll back and back and back and back on these boards messages. YOu will see all sorts of links, portings a nd stats based on the Ranger and Tacoma.
    Stats such as recalls, defects, crash tests, offroad performance ect.
    I will answer your post #32 of 43:
    "I guess you have already conceded victory to the Tacoma V6 w/o TRD package, but 16" wheels, 31" tires, AND with limited slip 4.10 rear differential, haven't you?"

Not a chance. I would be willing to bet my Ranger, 4.0L, 5sp., 31X10.5's, 3.73 rear end has been higher in elevation(more than likely even when I cross Bigelow summet @9,350ft on paved road heading to hunting areas), over nastier 4X roads and logging roads, been over more moutain passes (6) that are on 4X roads, most in excess of 9,800 feet with one at 11,400 feet that you have ever thought of doing with your Tacoma. Just a guess, I may be wrong.
    Also, if I WAS following a Tacoma, I would be laying on the horn to hurry up and wind up that high rev engine to max torque while I'm sitting there crusing at 2,700rpm waiting to pass.

Knowing what my Ranger can and has done, there is no concern regarding anything Toyota can put in the field. Nothing. And I unlike others, have no problem posting pictures that show what my rig can and has done.
    Bring your or any Tacoma to colorado and I'ss show you roads that will humble it.
    Check out: http://www.therangerstation.cjb.net/
    Off its many links you will find many people documenting in excess of 150K on their Rangers without need or a rebuild.
    Hope this helps, great links an postings there.
    By the way, if you go to that site and click on "Members Rigs", mine is number 67.
    "Members Rigs" if off the Rough Rangers Club link.
    getting defensive again eh Cspounser?

"Also, if I WAS following a Tacoma, I would be
    laying on the horn to hurry up and wind up that
    high rev engine to max torque while I'm sitting
    there crusing at 2,700rpm waiting to pass."

LOl. Dont think so Cspousner. Dont think so.
    Remember how 4wheeeler unanimously picked the Tacoma ? And how they gushed about it s hill climbing and steep grade ability, and its meshed and superior trans and gearing? If you were behind me, you would be gone. GONE. Up a hill, and through the woods, you would be gone. Even 4wheeler and Petersons offroad said the Ranger just could not keep up with the Tacoma offroad.
    While you are dooing "whoop-te-doos" in the ruts, Ill be chirping my way along, just like how 4wheeler described it. If you were following me, and I came across some serious mud on the trail, I would just flip my little locker switch and pass on through. MEanwhile, you (more than likely) would attempt to do the same thing and get stuck. Sorry Cspousner, the features on the Tacoma make it that much better offroad than the Ranger. YOu can pretend that they dont, thats ok. It's obvious you are living in fantasy land. YOu think your very "delicate"(exact 4wheeler words) crawl ratio is any match for a lockered Tacoma with acclerated rate springs, huge stablizer bar, bilstein ofroad shocks, highest clearance in the class, clutch start cancel, trd supercharger better approach and departue angle?

Look, 4wheeler didnt say the Tacoma won all the performance related cateogires for nothing. And please aslo remember that your gearing just isnt very good. Do you realize that proper gearing offsets alot of torque issues? BEsides, The stock Tacomas torque is only 5 less than the Rangers. The proper gearing in the tacoma MORE than makes up for that. Thats why 4wheeler gushed over the Tacomas performance and picked it unanimously.

Oh...Id like to see you pass my truck up...lol!!!
    You couldnt pass any v6 tacoma up!!! Thats why the Tacoma won EVERY SINGLE PERFORMANCE RELATED CATEGORY in the 4wheeler test. EVERY SINGLE ONE. WHAT DONT YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT? Enjoying your little fantasy world?

By the way CSpounser.....my Tacoma has 260 HP and 280 Torque, thanks to the TRD supercharger.
    Somehow I dont think you'll be passing me up anytime soon.....lol!!! Like 4wheeler said, "The tacoma got up and ran like the champion Ivan sturat offroad. It handeld anything flawlessly"

"The ranger bobbled up and down, and hand trouble keeping up on the course"

"Rangers highway favored suspension hurts its offorad performance". ect ect ect.

I could go on and on and on Cspounser....but you like to ignore the facts.

How funny it is for you to say that you would pass me. How very, very funny.
    Thanks for the good laugh this afternoon Cspounser!

Knowing what my Ranger can and has done, there is
    no concern regarding anything Toyota can put in the
    field. Nothing. And I unlike others, have no
    problem posting pictures that show what my rig canand has done.
    Bring your or any Tacoma to colorado and I'ss showyou roads that will humble it.
    Going to answer my question from data I pulled from your posts?

For the 24 reported safety issues for Tacoma, there were more injuries reported than for triple the number or Ranger reports.

MORE INJURIES. Like a transfer case locking up in the middle of an intersection on a Tacoma resulting in injury and accident.

No not defensive. I have just been there, done that and I do not belive you or the other guy has.

My pics are there for all to see I just ask if you are going to make comments regarding the lack of ability for my Ranger, concede when I prove you wrong and back up my offroad adventures with the objective pictures.

But more importaintly, show me what a Tacoma can do, other than beat Rangers at lights and 1/4 mile runs. I will concede those two items, and course price being higher, but nothing else.
    ODI ID: 710520
    Make: TOYOTA TRUCK
    Model: TACOMA
    Year: 1999
    Date of Failure: Monday, July 19, 1999
    Incident: No
    Fire: No
    Number of Injuries: 1
    Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT
    Summary: NUT ON LEFT FRONT BALL JOINT BECAME DETACHED WHILE VEHICLE WAS IN MOTION, CAUSING LEFT FRONT AXLE ASSEMBLY TO
    STRIKE & DRAG ON ROAD SURFACE.\

OR:

ODI ID: 705242
    Date of Failure: Tuesday, February 09, 1999
    Incident: No
    Number of Injuries: 2
    Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:SHOE:DISC BRAKE SYSTEM
    Summary: I WAS TRAVELLING NORTH ON HWY 3 AT 55MPH WHEN I SAW A LADY, MRS KEEVY, TURNING LEFT ACROSS TRAFFIC. I WAS WEARING A
    SEAT BELT. I LOCKED UP MY BRAKES, BUT THE. . .

OR:
    ODI ID: 838015
    Date of Failure: Thursday, May 13, 1999
    Incident: Yes
    Number of Injuries: 1
    Component: FUEL:THROTTLE LINKAGES AND CONTROL:PEDAL
    Summary: CONSUMER STOPPED AT STOP SIGN, TURNED RIGHT AND SHIFTED TO SECOND GEAR, AND THE ACCELERATOR GOT STUCK TO THE
    FLOOR. VEHICLE BROADSIDED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF ROAD
    the ones I posted on Ranger where there were customer complaints of "Parts not Available", "Hit starter wires while removing oil filter" and I THINK the Tacoma ones are a bit more serious.

Do you think injury accidents are more serious than a lack of parts to fix warrenty items?
    How much does tire size effect gearing, accelleration, mpg, and so on and if you get an option package that has 31" tires is the gearing changed? My 88 Toyota had 31s for year after I purchased it but I replaced them with the recomended size for a road trip I took around the country last Spring. It drove much better on the highway with better mpg and uphill accelleration. I will be purchasing a new truck in the next month and would like to get 31"s and though a diehard Toyota fan I have to admit that I will be checking out the Ranger before doing anythging. This discussion group and other literature have made me realize that these two trucks are definately the two best bets.

Anyone info on tire size or links to good sites?
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/330553.asp?cp1=1
    "...Five stars for the F-150. But how did the Toyota Tacoma do? “Look at the difference where the top of that barrier is to the window heighth now,”says Martinez. “It’s hitting straight into it. It’s an older design and so the pelvis loads are actually very high.”
    Is this a potential fatal?
    These are my words, notice the word FATAL
    “Yes,” says Martinez. “This is a very serious and potentially fatal crash and the bottom line is that you can do better.” "...Ford Ranger,...Mazda B-series all get five stars from the government. ...and the Toyota Tacoma gets only one star. Toyota told “Dateline” that while the Tacoma meets or exceeds all government safety standards, company engineers are evaluating why it did not score better in the side impact test.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/ncap.cfm?lookup=yes&vehclass=pickup&vehdesc=Truck
    Look for yourself on the above link but it is not a pretty picture for Toyota AND a whole bunch of stars for the Ranger.
This discussion has been closed.