Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Have you checked out the '05 G35 already? I haven't done so myself but I hear it received a face-lift for both exterior and interior. The exterior now looks more like the new M35/45. Don't know how much better the interior looks. It also received a 20hp boost. The AWD version does look fairly tempting in terms of combination of price/features/performance.

I haven't had any tranny or engine problems with my TL yet. And overall I still think it's a top contender in its class. But there are days when I do wish for a little more ride compliance, a little less squeaks and creaks, and a little smoother power delivery.
  • dano100dano100 Member Posts: 22
    Do not buy the Lexus! We own a 2002 ES300 after owning a 2001 Acura CL Type S whose transmission died @ 23,000 miles. We loved the CL and Acura fixed the CL and gave us a 7yr. 100K warranty on the tranny. That was the only problem with the car but my wife insisted on getting the Lexus after we test drove one.

So far it has been reliable mechanically but has had many little problems in the 2 1/2 years we have owned it. Here is a list:
    1)the drivers seat back fell off the 1st week.
    2)the paint on the strip on the bottom of the drivers door flaked off in 2 large spots.
    3)the shroud that covers the trunk mounted Nav system keeps falling off.
    4)the dash has a constant rattle.
    5)both the rear doors have a rattle when going over bumps.
    6)the brake rotors warped and were replaced last month under warranty (a TSB had been issued).

The ES is extremely quiet and a soft ride but I can say the only thing I LOVE about the car is the Mark Levinson sound system (must be heard to appreciate). The car is a bore to drive. I like driving my '04 Toyota Tundra Dbl. Cab more than the Lexus. And it has absolutely not had a single quality issue. Our 3rd car is an '03 Honda S2000. Now that's a fun car to drive!

I have not driven the new TL but if you enjoy a spirited drive once in a while then I am sure it's the better choice. If you just want to go from point A to point B in a serene, unattached atmosphere with an occasional rattle as a companion then the Lexus is for you.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I've owned six Lexus' and now own the TL. Believe me the Acura is no more fun to drive than a Lexus "for a spirited drive once in a while" or not. That's unless you enjoy great electronics coupled with numerous rattles and buzzes and a punishing lousy ride (with the TL).
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    I'm not trying to sell a car or anything, but my TL'04 (auto) has no problem whatsoever (21k miles).

Here are some things that you can do :
    1. Go to NHTSA website and search for complaint and defect investigation. Some poster claimed that they have filed a defect investigation, tranny problems etc. You will find zilch/nada defect investigation and dont forget to compare tranny problems with other brand

2. Acura TL won first place at the 25 hours thunderhill endurance race. figure that out yourself.

3. Read the Consumer report magazine. or other magazines that shows tranny failure or defect.

4. TL has the best sales figures among G35, 330i, 325i, es330 for some time. Dont you think that defects might affect its sales?

5. There is no evidence of tranny failures. Yes there has been some dissapointments against the prev. TL (2000-early 2003) but not on the new TL'04. And if you look carefully on the prev. TL data, the tranny failed @ a very low miles car (some at as little as 1200 miles). Mine has 21k miles with no problem and the new TL has been on the street for 17 months(while many of the prev. model failed @ less than 2 months). Thats a fact or at least I have the fact(my TL'04).

6. Beware that some posters are not owners of the new TL. Ask for any evidence/fact(New TL's fact not the prev.one) if you believe them (other than his/her word).

7. There are gear ratios differences between 2003 TL's and 2004 TL's auto transmission
    3rd gear 1.022 <> 1.021
    4th gear 0.653 <> 0.666
    5th gear 0.471 <> 0.480
    Same tranny? IDK!

8. My computer has a slight vibration, could it be the sign of a tranny problem :P

TL maynot be the perfect car but its worth to find out the truth. Good luck! :)
  • glooneyglooney Member Posts: 1
    Please keep me posted on your progress with the class-action suit. I, too, have experienced the vibration problem and will be having my '04 TL at the dealership for the third time this upcoming week (8,500 miles). I simply want a replacement for defective car.

On an unrelated note, has anyone experienced moisture on the back seats? I noticed that two of my rear seat belts has a white salt-like residue on them. I immediately took it to the dealer where they told me to clean the belts, see if the problem returned and if so, schedule an appointment. I had the car professionally detailed and five days later, the residue has returned. I have noticed minimal moisture on in the crack of the seat. Clearly, there is a leak of some sort, but I cannot locate it. I did have a '03 Accord EX-V6 that had a leak from the back glass not being properly sealed when manufactured. Anyone with a similar issue?

Thanks...
  • dojadoja Member Posts: 19
    I just watched "Motorweek" on PBS. This week they reviewed the 04 TL after driving it for 30,000 miles. They first reviewed this same car when it was a new car. They loved it then. I was interested to see their comments of the same car after 30K.

The only negatives were the rear-view mirror which they didn't like because it couldn't be adjusted at enough angles and the leather driver's seat, which they said cracked around the the holes.(Why do they have those perforations. It seemed like this would inevitably be a problem)

HOWEVER, there was no mention of vibrations or rattles. Also no problems with the transmission!!!

The show is Motorweek #2425 and it started airing on PBS stations last night. Look for it in your area. You can get a tape of the show if you are in the market to buy and want a professional review of this car after 30K. Of course, there are always lemons but if they didn't mention this vibration issue then I'm going to conclude that it's not a design flaw.

The show also airs on the "Speed channel" which I don't receive. I think it's available on certain cable providers
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    With large numbers of people reporting no vibration problem (I don't have one) it isn't a design fault. IMO it may be a manufacturing problem for a small number of units or maybe even just some very, very finicky drivers.
  • dojadoja Member Posts: 19
    "The only negatives were the rear-view mirror which they didn't like because it couldn't be adjusted at enough angles and the leather driver's seat, which they said cracked around the the holes."

It's too late to edit my original post but the reviewers were complaining about the SIDE view mirrors not the rear view mirror.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    "Beware that some posters are not owners of the new TL."

Well, that doesn't apply to me and not necessarily to others who do not wax poetic about the TL.

I agree though that one has to own the car to see what their own individual opinion(s) is(are). Don't neccessarily take my word for it, but don't say you weren't warned about TL's short comings.
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    I guess it would depend on which Lexus. I went from a '99 LS400 to my '05 TL, and I haven't looked back. The TL is a lot more fun. The only thing I really miss is the low end torque of that 4.0L V8.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    "My 2005 TL has 550 miles on it. I've heard different mileages when people get the first oil change done. Please let me know what you think. Thanks."

When your maintenance minder tell you to.
  • trade4jkatrade4jka Member Posts: 2
    Are you saying that your TL does not vibrate when shifting from 4th to 5th gear or from what I've read on the forums from 40-55mph? I am trying to find out if it is just a few TL's with this problem or all TL's. Also is the problem limited to just 2004 TL's or is it 2004 & 2005 TL's. And does it matter if it's automatic or stick shift?
  • trade4jkatrade4jka Member Posts: 2
    I have the same questions, have you found anything more out? I am interested in buying a used 04 for a little less than an 05 new. I am wondering if I should avoid the TL altogether because of these transmission vibration issues? I would go for a G35 coupe, but the RWD won't work well in Chicago. THe ES is for older folks, and the 330xi BMW is really pricey - AWD. I would appreciate your thoughts/recommendations.
  • eacuelloeacuello Member Posts: 1
    After problem-free driving Acura's for the past 8 years (1989 Legend & 2000 TL) I'm thinking about getting another TL. I love my 2000 TL but it's at the point (60K Miles) where I'll need tires, belts etc. soon and want to trade up before I have any problems. I've looked at the Infinities, Lexus, Caddys and I keep coming back to Acura.

At first the new body style bothered me. I thought it looked too much like a BMW-immitation, but I'm getting ready to test drive it this week and may pull the trigger. Does anyone think I should hold out for the 2006's to come out?

Peter
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    Only about 1600 mile, no tranny probles, no vibrations and no cracked leather. I found the TL to be significantly quieter than the G35X with a much smoother ride. Loved the power of the G35 (the TL is no slouch!!!) and the stick to the road of the G35. But in the end, the (IMHO) superior internal and external style of the TL, ride and noise levels carried the day. Honda/Acura has long had a solid rep for build quality and reliability. My family has owned several Hondas & Acuras with nary a problem to mention. That is not to say that every one built is flawless, but I think the odds of getting a winner are quite high...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• newtlownernewtlowner Member Posts: 2
    Hi- I just bought a used 2004 Acura TL with 24,000 miles on it. Car is great but the gas mileage seems unusually low. I've been getting 17 to 18 miles per gallon in city and a bit of highway driving (mostly city). Have been driving very conservatively. The dealer put on new tires that are H rated (which are properly inflated). Was told that it should have V rated tires. Could this be causing the lower MPG? Last service was at 18,000 miles. What are others getting around the city? Any suggestions?

Also the gauge will say empty and then it will turn out once I fill up that I have 3-4 more gallons in the tank. Anyone have this problem too? I can't get more that 240 miles on a tank at the moment which seems low to me (especially after my 35 mpg civic that got more miles on 10 gallons.)

Thanks from a new owner
  • mark_svensonmark_svenson Member Posts: 1
    First of all, I dont usually post at this kind of forum because I find it funny just to say
    "hey, my car is in a great condition, no problem" and I believe happy car owner doesnt post at this forum a lot, but I think some of the posts are misinformed.

I bought my G35 a couple months ago (only 600 miles tx to the snow) and also bought a used TL (auto non nav) with 25k miles last week. I got to admit for having been lurking at this forum for sometimes, and finally pulled the trigger. Its one of the first TL on the street (oil-jet installed), was bought in nov 2003. I know that the car has higher mileage than usual, but everything is in perfect condition, no rattle or vibration, flawless with a slightly better gas mileage than my G35.

Speaking about vibration, I think TL is very quiet compared to my G and my cousin's 6 month old corrola type s. The only thing that TL lacks is rwd. It has great handling and performance (not just good but great) for real-world driving (unless for pro-racer).

I'm still babying my new G35 and intend to keep it that way (low mileage) but driving around with the TL actually give me another satisfaction. I dont have to worry about break-in period, snow, fun to drive, best audio and its a looker too.

I test drove 2 TLs before I bought mine and found no vibration issue except paint chipping around the muffler area and front bumper, wrinkled leather and one with scratches on the wheel. The one that I got is flawless but the mileage is too high and the passenger side's leather has a wrinkle.

Anyway not all TL has the same flaw and its not a flaw by design. Test drive some used one just to get an opinion. I know thats what I did, and I am now a happy owner of the new TL and G35.
  • libowskylibowsky Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 TL Type-S and I had my transmission replaced at 30,000 miles and now at 80,000 miles (last week). What bothers me the most is how Acura Client Services is handling the situation. They are trying to sweep all the issues under the rug and deny as long as they can. I am sure all of you are enjoying your 2004 and 2005 TL's, but you are not out of the woods yet. I talked to my service guy and he said they are having a few issues with these models that corporate is not admitting to you yet. I would make friends with someone in service at your local dealership.

My adivce to someone who is looking to buy a new TL is to find one where the Vin# starts with a "J" and not a "1". If it starts with a "J" it means it was put together in Japan and not here, like the ones that start with a "1". I love America but apparently they do not know how to put a car together. I was told that the only cars that are having the transmission issue is the TL's put together in the US.

The problem is there are to many chat rooms/forums to go to and everyone is not able to see all the problems that are going on with these cars. I have seen on other forums where people from 2002 on have complained about the leather cracking. I have seen multiple years complain about the tranny and the navigation.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car, that is when it works. If it was not for my local service department that takes good care of me, I would have gotten rid of my 2002 TL Type-S a long time ago and would not have leased my wife a MDX.

Right now I am trying to get Acura to make my TL back and give me a decent trade in on a 2005. I am hoping that Acura will stand by their product. I have taken my car in for every single service suggested. I bought an Acura because of its reputation to last a very long time with minimal issues. With my current car I have not experieced that and I know that they know that they have an issue that they do not want to take care of properly. I can replacing the transmission once and saying we found the problem, but now a second time.
  • crazydrumcrazydrum Member Posts: 2
    Lemon? MT6 Spd 2004 TL:Brakes squeeling,failed, squeeling and Vibration and Tire wear

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

I need some help--2004 TL July -9,300 MILES, Stick shift with Brembo brakes--BRAKE FAILURE ,SQUEELING METAL (very loud all of the time), AND VIBRATION at 5th gear at 55 -60 mph ( steering wheel actually shakes) and NOW tires wearing fast. I have a 6MT July 2004 TL 9,300 miles and have had squeeling from the beginning. I asked the Dealer if there were any service bulletins or recalls and they said NO twice AFTER THEY LOOKED AT THE PROBLEM. Than took it to get serviced at another dealership and asked theM AND THEY SAID no until I took it in and than they told me there was a service Bulletin and told me they would replace the brakes but had to reschedule ( UGH !). Than took it in and they told me that they would only replace the brakes and I asked what about the vibration from the possibly scratched rotors and they decided to replace the rotors supposably. They wanted to refinish the rotors and TOLD THEM NO WAY.
    Than I asked about rebalancing and checking the alignment and they said they checked it and THERE WAS no problem even though it was vibrating. Than I drove it and slowly the squeeking and vibration returned louder than ever. AND than the brakes failed ( good thing for stick shift) with the right brake vibrating like the wheel was going to fall off. I called the ACURA dealer and they told me that they could not fit me in for another week !!! . I told them that I demand that they give me a loaner now since I am driving without brakes ( If I appliced them , they worked but the entire car front of the car vibrated like it was about to explode) and they need to fix it. After hassling with them for 30 minutes , I got an appointment two days later. Guess what, the right caliper FAILED . They replaced it ( I think they screwed it up when they supposeably replaced the rotors and brake pads ) and asked again to check the balance and they noticed that the internal mass balance weights were destoyed ( basically the caliper came apart and ripped the inside of the alloy wheel ( I noticed this after I picked up the car and should have asked for a new alloy wheel). Well, now i have an appointment for the third time with brakes working STILL WITH a very LOUD noise ( everyone stops and looks at me when I stop the car next to other cars on the roads literally) and need to know if ACURA does have the answer or do I file for the lemon law and maybe the 2005 TL has the proper Brembo brakes without any problems.

What about this lemon law in Pennsylvania ? How hard is the process? I like the 5 series BMW except the rear wheel drive will not work in the snow and the Infinity might be my only option but no stick shift .

What should I do.
    NO PATIENCE in the Northeast !!!!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    There are no J VIN's.
    I wish they were...
  • jsf09jsf09 Member Posts: 5
    Okay, read through pages of these postings and became very annoyed. I own a '04 TL, traded in a BMW for it in August (smartest decision even with my tire problems). If you are one of the few who don't have issues, well goody-gum-drops for you, but there is a problem, Acura does recognize it and is replacing tires on the car to try and fix the problem. So for all of you who like me are having problems, call Acura, not your dealership but main Acura. Some '05s are having problems too. According to the Rep from Acura if you didn't get an '05 with the Navi you may have tire issues since the tires are Bridgestones. 05s with Navi have Michelin's and are fine. The NSX has the same problem, burns through tires in 6-12K, and the 350Z's are having similar tire issues. Don't let a tire problem keep you from enjoying a GREAT car, the most fun, responsive 4-door sports car on the road (personal opinion of course). However, I do know it's not a little problem, the whole car shakes, makes steering difficult and has nothing to do with thinking everything should be perfect and everything to do with safety and what's normal, this kind of shaking is NOT NORMAL. The performance tires are softer, you drive on them, get them nice and hot, they stick to the road better. Now you let the car sit and the tires cool off, leaving a flat spot (again very soft tires) this is causing the vibrations and shaking. The longer the car sits the worse the vibration is. Anyone else out there with the problems...I feel your pain. Call Acura, get them replaced and trust me you'll fall in love with the car all over again.
  • lexylexy Member Posts: 5
    anyone here own the 2001-2004 lexus gs 300's? Looking into buying this OVER the new TL due to tranny problems, rattles, noises, and MULTIPLE other problems in these forums on the TL's

Problems with lexus - very few, and NO rattles or TRansmission problems!
    Yeah, but they have the sludge problem with the V6. And the styling, like almost any Lexus/Toyota, seems awkward at best.
    there is no sludge problem - the gs have INLINE 6's and V8's - sludge problem on the earlier v6's on suv and toyota cars - NOT ON LEXUS GS
    This is a TL Problems-forum. Trying to help people who have similar problems, save people time, energy and frustration. Visit the Lexus forum, I'm sure you will hear very similar issues.
  • darrenwdarrenw Member Posts: 23
    You must be kidding right?

I dont own a TL but my brother in law own a GS300. His comment was Its a boring car. 220 hp/220lbs torque with 43k price tag and cant even outrun an V6-accord.

And if you read its review you'll get the picture
    www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=44145
    But I agree that GS300 has very little problem but also you have to remember that they only move 400 units of car per month. Comparing to TL's approx 7,000 unit a month, it will certainly eliminate any manufacturing problem/defect.

My neighbour lent me a TL 2004 because of the snow lately but with a promise that I will lend my baby the G in the summer. Loved the TL, I just cant wait to show him what my baby got. Anyway I dont see any problem with his 1 year old car.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    BBB Arbitration Hearing

I have an arbitration hearing this week regarding the vibration in 5th gear.

Does anyone have any recommendations or useful suggestions?

Tx,
  • acuratlmdxacuratlmdx Member Posts: 5
    my wife's 04TL has the Bridgestone's and has 17,700 miles and 14 months old - tires are down to 3/32 and need replaced. Call the local dealer and was not happy to hear this but would not help. Sensed there is a growing problem here and now we are dealing with Acura headquarters. Any advice on how to get this fixed - car is vibrating over 55 but now until tires get fixed will only drive around town
    I think the key is to get Acura to admit openly that they have no idea what the cause is, and how to go about fixing it. In my previous arbitration, the final question the arbitrator asked Honda was "Can you estimate how long it would take to diagnose and fix the problem?" The answer: "No". I think that, as much as anything else that was said in the hearing, cinched it for me.
    I must be kidding?

is style, performance, really that much better in comparison of the ACura TL over GS 300

Just wondering how many show of hands had TL problems?

It seems all the used TLs for sale made in US>
    Where are the ones made in Japan (ie, vin starts with J)

And if you go to msn autos - OMG - 30+ acura TL's from 2004

Sounds like many of you dissatisfied.
    Anyway, if you want to outrun an accord, get the GS430! The gs 300 is a perfect fit of reliability, luxury, performance (with sport edition)

any thoughts - I realize I am probably not on right board. Just wanted to contribute something
    That was exactly my problem too, My car is only 6 months old with less than 10K. Acura Hdqtrs readily admitted the issue to me, called back within 24 hrs to schedule a time to replace my tires. It depends on the Tire Number, they are claiming Bridgestone TU2's are okay, but the other Bridgestone's are not. Gosh I forget the number though. Also I have 2 friend's with TL's as well, they chose to have Acura give them the money it would cost to replace the tires, took it and put it towards new Pirelli's and the other Torenza's (sp?). They didn't want to fuss with bridgestone's anymore and went to tire makers with a history of making excellent performance tires. Both of they are very happy and thousands of miles later are vibration free.
  • dlvanadlvana Member Posts: 3
    I have read a number of messages and I would like to know what action needs to take place to get Acura's attention on the vibration and other quality problems. What is the first step?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And thirsty.

Not a single 04 TL in MSN autos under my zip code (30153).
    I think we need a smart, hungry Philadelphia lawyer.

Are there any smart lawyers out there that would like to make a lot of money suing Acura? The lawyers make all the money in class action but that&#146;s okay. I just want to teach Acura a lesson.

Must be someone out there!
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    and with luxury and space sub par to ES. The plus is that it's a RWD although my friend can't really tell much difference between that RWD and his previous Camry. Power wise GS300 hasn't that much to perform. It's a very reliable car for sure. Personally I don't think GS looks nearly as sporty as TL.
  • acuratlmdxacuratlmdx Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the help and advice. Acura hasn't returned our call but will be ready when they do.
  • lipplipp Member Posts: 58
    Having a similar problem on a MB C240 with Michelin tires. Get vibrations at 40mph when car is cold. Dealer is changing tires to Continental and claims problem will stop. I hear that I will burn through the Continental tires in 25k miles. Anyone having a similar problem? Any tire suggestions?
    I think the Dunlop's SP Sport 5000 are the way to go, they are getting really good reviews. Pirelli's are okay, but people have said they have flat spot problems too (which is what is causing you vibration). Go to TireRack.com, they have pages and pages of reviews on tires, you can read the reviews from people who drive similar (highway, back roads, racing, aggressive, etc) and have similar model cars to see what they thought of the tires. It's got reviews on all brands.
    I know it's frustrating, seriously I can sense the aggrivation, been there. But really it's not an Acura problem (though they did chose to put Bridgestone tires on the car). It's a tire problem, and from what I understand you won't win, go after the tire maker. But that to is a long shot. Flat spotting is a common problem with performance tires, and is not a safety issue (meaning the tires will not fall apart). I felt the same way you did. "Someone has got to pay, and it's NOT gonna be me." Call Acura, you'll get what you want from them, but also rememeber this is what goes along with having a 'high performance' automobile, unfortunately there are limitations and you have to accept the good with the bad. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. I would think your time and energy are better spent on something else though.
  • tlgirl79tlgirl79 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I bought a new 05 Acura TL yesterday. I got a great deal $32,670 and 3.9%, but when I went into sign the papers they asked me about buying extra coverage on the car. It wasn't called an "extended warranty," but it would cover basically everything for 7 years or 100,000.

My question is...does anyone think that buying this extra insurance for $1900 is necessary? Has anyone decided to buy it or not to buy it and why?
    Thanks in advance for your help. They said that I have three days to decide, otherwise the price will go up at the end of the month.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    No one can tell if you need the extended warranty or not, but $1900 is ridiculous. &#147;The price goes up in three days&#148; is nothing more than a pressure tactic.

When I purchased my TL a year ago I was offered the 7/100K 0 deductible Acura Care plan for $1150. You can buy that plan any time as long as your car under manufactures warranty, but the price does go up by $50 or so for every year or 12K. Also, you can buy this plan from any Acura dealer.
  • tokashtokash Member Posts: 12
    exb0 is correct. $1900 is a ridiculous price and the "3 day" deadline is indeed a pressure tactic. If you want to get a 7yr/100k/0 deductable warranty for a reasonable price, go to www.curryacuracare.com. Or you can just tell your dealer that you can get the same thing from that website for $1160 and ask them if they will match it. If they tell you it's different than what they're offering, they aren't being truthful with you and I'd suggest you take your business somewhere else (you can buy this Acura backed extended warranty from any dealer). Don't let them insult your intelligence.

And all in all, Acuras and Hondas are considerably reliable. I personally think that if you use that money instead to keep your car properly maintained, that alone is as good as an extended warranty in my opinion. Of course there are exceptions. Not every car is built perfectly. I believe, however, the problems people post are a small minority. Those people who aren't having problems with their cars don't usually go into a "Problems and Solutions" forum. Why should they? Their cars are running perfect. Anyway, that's just a little aside.

Buying an extended warranty is a personal choice. Some people feel more secure with it. But if you do opt to get it, just don't let anyone price-gouge you on it. Good luck!
  • tlgirl79tlgirl79 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys, you are right and I totally agree with you and value your input. You have helped me make the right decision not to purchase the insurance. They are crazy!

Thanks Again!
    To TLGirl79:

Actually, it&#146;s not totally a tire problem…

For months, the dealership lead me to believe that the tires were at fault. But that is only half of the problem. The real problem is that the transmission shifts into 5th gear at 45mph causing the car to lug. Lug is a tem used when you have selected the wrong gear at the wrong speed. The car lugs and vibrates up to a speed of 60mph and then reaches the correct speed band and the transmission smoothes out.

Acura knows about the problem but chooses to call it a characteristic.... instead of a problem. I think it&#146;s a design flaw. The Acura rep told me they are working on a fix. I&#146;m not sure if the 05 models are doing the same thing! I was told it was corrected in the 05 but you can&#146;t believe what they say. Perhaps someone with a 05 can comment.

If I thought new tires would solve the problem, I would just buy new tires. I 'm surprised they don't call the vibration an enhancement.
    i paid $900 for the 7 year extended warrenty.

Shop around!
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    If it were a design problem all TL's (certainly '04's) would have it. Mine which is an '04 built in Feb. shows no signs of such a problem.
  • marcdavidoffmarcdavidoff Member Posts: 1
    All- If you are interested in reading thru the documentation from correspondence between Acura and the Hat'l hwy transportation safety board, check out the files at: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/defectsearch.cf- m
    Put in your vehicle info (mines a '02 TL but I'm sure all the years affected will bring up the data). They are big files, but have some interested info embedded in them..
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    Mine is also an 04 with no sign of such a problem.

I can confirm (and I believe every TL'04 owner will agree)that the tranny does NOT shift into 5th gear at 45mph. Why I know this because I drive at a 45mph speed limit road everyday (for 20 minutes) and I hate doing 45mph which is @2k rpm/4th gear (IMO its a waste of gas). Did some testings of how to get better mpg, it turns out somewhere between 51-55 @5th gear and tranny will only shift @48-49mph from 4th into 5th gear.

No wonder yours is very different!

Marcdavidoff, btw about the NHTSA website, I think we all agree that its pretty clear by now that there is no defect investigation on 04.
  • gmac1gmac1 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to buy the TL with the 15-Spoke Chrome-Look wheels. Has anyone had any problems with pitting? We are in Nebraska and do have salt and sand on the roads in the winter. Thanks.