Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• taylor35taylor35 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks - I have been using that and really couldn't locate what I wanted locally, but I am off to a soccer tourney this weekend with my kids and I have spotted one that looks like a fit very close to where we will be. We'll see. I think it is pretty darn accurate - I saw one truck listed and went over to look at it and it was fresh off the delivery truck.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    The 2005 Frontier has finally made it to Edmunds. Full invoice pricing, reviews and pics.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Emphasis on "finally." ;-D Thanks for the update!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • PaulPaul Member Posts: 9
    I test drove a Nismo and the LE and there is a difference in ride quality. I would suggest that you drive both before you buy. I decided on the LE Crew Cab and I love it. Good luck.
    same here - I went with the LE also and really like it. Picked it up yesterday and drove it about 100 miles. The Nissan inventory web locator helped me find the one I wanted - color and options.
  • buckeyemanbuckeyeman Member Posts: 7
    I tried contacting 2 different dealers in the Toledo,OH area via the web about a price and availability on a '05 Frontier XE King Cab and got no response. I get an e-mail from Nissan asking me if these dealers got back with me, I replied NO, so they give you a 800 number to call if you still haven't heard from the dealers, it's to the Customer Affairs Dept. I called today (1/17) and talked to Walt in that dept., and I told him I still haven't heard from them, he replies "so what do you want me to do", I couldn't believe he said that. I said well it's obvious Nissan doesn't want to sell cars, his reply was each dealer is independently owned & operated, and Nissan can't make them get back with the customer. I told Walt it looks like I'll be buying a '05 Tacoma instead, he replied "go for it".

One would think they would be apologizing for the dealer not getting back with you, and contacting the dealer and asking why. I can not believe this is Nissan's attitude toward selling new cars.
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    so let me get this straight...

you sent emails to 2 dealers, and got no response...then you called nissan to complain about it...and are unwilling to get a nissan that you originally wanted.

you probably spent more time on the phone with "walt" than you would have if you just called the dealers...heck, if you talked to the right person at the dealer, you may have got some extra concession out of them for the trouble.

sounds like you sure outsmarted yourself there.

p.s. i think this is nissans atitude toward people who get an attitude with them. get over your ego and pick up the phone to the dealer.
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    was between the e-mails and the follow-up phone calls, not to the dealers, but to corporate HQ, where personnel CAN'T sell a truck.

Some dealerships don't like the whole internet sales concept - it generates 150 dealer mass e-mails, where most dealers know they haven't got a prayer of hitting that magic number that could be beaten by $10 down the road - total waste of time for 149 dealers...

Call it old school or whatever, but you can't buy a car on line, and you can't sell a car on line - at some point, especially in new cars with financing involving, you have to look someone in the eye and sign some papers. When you look me in the eye and are physically present to sign, I'll have someone sell you a vehicle...
  • valance2valance2 Member Posts: 14
    Anyone get an outrageous quote from your dealer to put on a tow hitch? I got $500 and told them to shove it. (well, I said no). Anyway, I've been looking at hiddenhitch and other sites and can't find one that has been made for the '05 Frontier. Any suggestions? I'm thinking it should cost $200-$300 for the hitch plus wiring. am I wrong here?
    First off dbauer I don't have an ego, second of all I'm not going to beg anyone to sell me a new vehicle. I spec'd out the vehicle on Nissan's website and then it ask you which dealers in your area do you wish to get a quote from. As far as I'm concerned Walt needs to be fired, period!

You don't get it, it was Nissan who sent me the e-mail asking if these dealers had contacted me yet.
    first, everyone has an ego.

second, noone said to beg to be sold a vehicle. we suggested using all the time you spent fretting about not being contacted and pick up the phone.

walt probably shouldnt be doing what he does.

at the same time, in my experience, people USUALLY dont act rude unless otherwise provoked.
    1. The dealers probably get a ton of these emails a day and very few lead to sales, so they don't care too much. I would go through an internet sales agency if you really want to purchase.

2. The guy from Nissan probably makes $8 a hour to fill out some stupid survey regarding whether someone contacted you or not, he probably could care less.

Just my thoughts
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    I'd tend to agree. From what I have seen at Nissan dealers, they are the worst to deal with. They seem to have good products, but almost universally they have lousy customer service.

I am loathe to deal with them even though I really like the 05 Fronty.

I'd go through a third party to negotiate on our behalf and just use the dealer as a paper signing place and vehicle pick up point. Of course you'll still have to deal with their service depts for work, but it SHOULD be less painful.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    LOL, the past several posts made me laugh for a solid ten minutes. However, I have the feeling that wvfrontier's last post (#383) will be deleted if it reaches a moderator's eyes. Hilarious though.

I'll add a couple cents to the online customer service deal. I haven't had any dealings with Nissan, but I was recently on a Ford website (local dealer) and sent an email asking for information about a Pathfinder they had listed on Autotrader. I got not 1, not 2, but 3 auto-replies from a computer at Ford. It was almost a week later when I finally received a reply from the dealership. He mentioned in his email that his computer had been down for a week due to a virus (apparently they can't afford Norton).

I do think some more information about how long the wait was would be helpful to the argument.

I'm sure that you don't want to visit the dealership because of the pressure, or you just don't have time. However, I do agree that a phone call to the dealership would be nice, or if you get the opportunity, go to the lot and check out a new Frontier. Don't give up on Nissan just because of a computer glitch and an underpaid employee.
  • kesserendrelkesserendrel Member Posts: 3
    Well, I went in yesterday to check out one of the 05s, and had a pleasant experience. I mostly just wanted to look at one in the flesh, and so went on Sunday, when I expected the dealership to be closed. Instead, I wound up taking a King Cab auto 4x4 out for about 20 minutes. Liked the ride, and the sales guy didn't hassle me at all (the second guy, who I talked to about Xterras, was a little slicker), I almost felt bad that I wouldn't be paying the 26,000 they wanted for the truck, since New-Nissans.com has their lot less than a hundred miles away.
    10, 9, 8...

Great post, though, and funny - I agree that you are treated in kind to the way you treat folks.
  • dadouglasdadouglas Member Posts: 7
    Recently purchased a 2005 CC, SE, with 6 sp manual. Excellent power but noticing some engine noise on last 2 tanks. Specifically, when accelerating sounds like engine pinging. I know it could be the brand of gas but it's happened with different brands. I'm using 87 according to the book but now I'm wondering. Anybody else had early issues with engine pinging? One of the reasons I chose the Frontier over the Tacoma was not having to use 89 or higher. Thanks
    Ah! Bummer, I missed it and really needed some good humor in my day. :(

Oh well. Sounds like Nissan's "customer service" representative did not do them any favors by producing attitude with buckeye, but every opinion posted since certainly rings true.

Another thing I've noticed about contacting dealers via email: they are more responsive when you contact them directly, rather than through a "mass email" site like Nissan's. The longest gap before receiving a response I have had from any dealer was 9 days and that was an exception due to bad timing on my part: the dealer was relocating from an old building to new during the interim. Other than that, 48 hours was the max. In fact, they are so responsive that I often have to send them a message back saying, "Thanks, but no thanks," before they will finally stop sending me more messages! Our local Nissan dealer actually surprised the heck out of me last month by calling me up on the phone to say that they had one '04 in stock that matched the specs I had written on an email 4 months before! Now, it didn't exactly match the specs, but they were willing to make a darn good deal on it had I wanted to buy. If nothing else, I was impressed that they made the effort and will certainly consider them if I am ever in the market for a Nissan.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Hey it took idntnvu to figure it out. I don't have the time, I'm working 12-14 hrs. a day. All I wanted was for one of the dealers to e-mail me and tell me if he could get the vehicle or not, and if we could work some numbers. I would gladly take time to go to a dealer on a Saturday if they would have replied. One of the dealers is an over an hour away by car, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time and gas. I am having a hard time finding a 4 X 2 XE King Cab in my region, only 4 X 4's seem to be available.
    in that case, call the dealer, order the exact truck you want, give them a credit card deposit over the phone, and you will be done in a matter of minutes, only to go in to pick it up...i think you make it waaay more difficult than it needs to be.

if you want to drive one first, then you are deluding yourself by thinking an email will accomplish this.

if you are expecting a significant discount simply because you sent an email, you are also deluding yourself in this respect. these vehicles are normally not discounted at this point.

if you simply dont want to deal with a salesperson (part of the problem, i think), call the sales manager and explain your trepidation. he will try to find a way to accomodate your fears.
    I am a little surprised by the posts on this topic. I guess I got lucky, but I sent about 5-6 email inquiries over a week long period and got a fairly quick response on all of them. Also, got very motivated internet managers who quoted me better deals via the email than the lot salesmen did. One of the managers was over a hundred miles away and offered a price that included delivery of the car to my home if I wanted.

I got a discount of about 2200 off MSRP on the one I bought which probably isn't a great deal, but I thought it was fair in light of other offers which ranged from 1750 to about 2400 off msrp.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    hey, dbauer, lighten up. I'm sympathetic to anyone trying to get a dealer to let me know when something is in stock or coming in. I have low expectations about this, so I'm not easily ticked off. But I don't like the idea of driving an hour each way, just to see if there's a particular configuration of a truck in stock.

I've been waiting over a month for my local Nissan dealer to tell me anything about the XE King Cab 4-cyl, manual trans. In that period of time, 1 salesguy quit, another "retired", and so now I'm getting calls from a third person - starting all over again. And no one has seen an XE yet - they all keep trying to upsell me to a Crew Cab V-6.
    i understand that, but my point is that a phone call is quicker, easier, and accomplishes more in less time. we've already been talking about this for 4 or 5 days...
    Agreed.
    the core problem is that many people feel a real fear of talking to a salesman. they are often AFRAID of being sold something. once you overcome this fear, its rather easy to say "no" if you dont want to buy...beleive me, i hear it all the time...lol.
    Same here - there's a growing list of salespeople in So Cal that don't like to see me walking on their lots. Honda (2 dealers), Toyota (3), and Nissan (2). Last new car I bought was a 1996 Maxima, and one used Honda CR-V in 2002 from a private party. They really hate it when you drive a car and say "no". As posted earlier, it seems like all they want to sell is what's on their lot - and very few care about what fits your needs. What a contrast from Germany, say - most cars there are ordered - dealers don't stock many cars. So you can get what you want. Manufacturers should want this - happy customers. Here, the dealers rule.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Completely understood. I think this settles the case. But if I were you, I'd try to watch that attitude ;). I get like that sometimes too.

My dad has a very similar case to yours. He works 12-14 hours a day out of state, drives 60 miles each way to and from work, and has very little time to do any car shopping, so I do it all for him. The last vehicle he got, I spotted on a lot, when he got home one night I took him out to see it, the next day my mom and I went to try it out, then one saturday he went and drove it. He couldn't make up his mind because it was between two different vehicles, so about a week later he left work early and met the dealer at closing time and made the decision. It was picked up a couple days later.

I'm a major car buff, so I'm always looking at what's on the lots, and if anyone I know is looking for a new vehicle, they tell me what they want and I keep an eye out for it. Know anyone like that? Maybe a relative?

If I were in this situation, I'd contact the *nearest* dealer and ask them if their internet sales person is available, and then speak to them, and mention that you're interested in a new Frontier, but never receieved an email back from them. Mention that you want to give them a chance, and you'd at least like to see one *specced like you want it* to even know if you'd buy one. Let us know what happens.
    There is not substitute for going into a dealership and taking face to face. Case in point:

I'm going over on Thursday to a local Hyundai dealer to sign the papers for an 05 Tucson for my wife. I had emailed back and forth with them and gotten the price I wanted.

In fact, my initial contact with them came through Edmunds, after I "build" the Tucson I wanted. This web sites TVM pricing is invaluable in helping you deal with the dealerships. But when it came time to talk turkey, and see about the specific model I was quoted on, I had to step into the dealers showroom.

They already know me from my on-line correspondence, looked in their computer for an available GLS 4x4 in Alpine Green, found one 60 miles away, had it delivered to their lot yesterday, agreed on my price, and the deal was done!

These guys know what they are doing and are great to deal with. I highly recommend them. Sunnyvale Hyundai.

One would hope all dealerships made the car buying experience as easy.
    thats what im talking about...you werent afraid to say no, so your fear of being sold something you didnt want was nonexistent.

case in point, i dealt with some young people who wanted a 4-door manual xmission car with a payment under $180/mo.

i work at a ford dealership, so my initial instinct was for a used focus (2 available), or a new one on a lease. (15 available)

but she said she wanted anything OTHER than a focus, even though she never drove one. i then suggested a new sentra, with a lease payment of $189, and she said no, its too much like a focus (?!?!).

turns out, they were simply too afraid to say the word yes to any question, because they thought i would put them in something they didnt want.

end result, they outsmarted themselves, and she has been looking for a car for over 4 months, at 9 different dealers, with no luck.

to keep this somewhat on point, most consumers know that the frontiers are non-negotiable, or very little negotiating involved. all you have to do is find the one you want...the rest is easy.

regarding dealers in germany, it has more to do with geography than anything else. here in the states, we have dozens of acres of land to use for inventory. over there, a dealership is often no larger than a storefront in the middle of town.
    Good points on all issues. I never thought about the Europe car dealer thing, but you are right about the store front shops with with two or three models on display. Back in 2001, we ordered an MB C230 coupe just like we wanted from a dealer here in San Jose. It took about six weeks to come across the Atlantic, and, it had a build date of 9/12/01...

In 98 I ordered my Ranger just like I wanted it from the factory through a dealer in Los Gatos.

Each time, I had to wait for about six weeks, but what I recieved was not a compromise.

Nissan should offer a similar program to meet those who want a custom build.
    they do...but there are reasons for certain limitations.

the first example would be a sunroof...some models have to be significantly altered to provide the space and setup for a sunroof.

just remember that if nissan has an ordering limitation, it stems from an engineering limitation, not a cost-savings.

they have no reason to withold equipment if you want it, because that creates more profit for them.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    quote-they have no reason to withold equipment if you want it, because that creates more profit for them. -end

Very naive. Nissan, Toyota (one of the worst), GM, Ford, and nearly every other manufacturer withhold equipment. Not due to engineering, due to marketing.
    Withhold equipment? Sure, if you're talking about putting a sunroof in a base model, 4 cylinder, 5-speed truck that's marketed as a value leader, but now gets the $12k price raised by $1200...that's not smart, and yes, it shouldn't be available - kinda kills the idea of a value leader.

Folks simply HAVE to get over the fact that all manufacturers went away from a 150 item list of stand-alone options - this was done because having a base model, no wheel covers, purple truck with all the goodies that are available on the high-line model, but no carpeting, interior trim or exterior trim, doesn't sell well on the used market and it hurts the manufacturer and dealers in the long run.

Most manufacturers have gone to common option groups, based on model level selection, with a few freestanding options for add-ons.
    There definitely is some withholding of options. For example, 2005 Titan has a power rear window which was not available on the 04. There was no huge engineering feat involved in getting this done. You can make this case with any model or any car company. The manufacturers always adds additional options year after year to set the new ones apart.

I would think the reason to bundle things together is two fold:

1. it makes the consumer buy an option he may not need, Titan example: to get a sunroof, you had to get the DVD system (another $1200).

2. I am sure it stream lines manufacturing by not having to build specific cars.

And plus, you need to keep it simple for the salesman or they would get too confused.
    I agree that there's a limit to how many options should be available. But this can go too far, and safety suffers. I've being trying, since 2002, to get a Nissan Altima 2.5S with ABS and Side Airbags. Or a 2001 thru 2005 VW Passat 1.8T with VSC. Or a 2005 Toyota Tacoma of any kind with Side Airbags and/or VSC.

All of the above examples are shown as available from the manufacturer's own website and brochure. I really don't care about factory subwoofers and the like. But this is serious, potentially life-saving stuff that they just don't make available.
    How is adding an option from one model year to the next "withholding" options? Manufacturers deal with buyers who deal with outside sales reps who work for vendors who make products that have to go to labs for testing so they can get certified by engineers so the product can go to production mock-up so it can go to final production with the vendor...that doesn't count all the lawyers and accountants involved on something as simple as a power rear window, sunroof, or stereo system...

And though I'm not in the car business any longer, I see no need to insult salespeople's intelligence. I don't know many consumers who could recite, word for word, a vehicle brochure's text, or the mission statement of their own company, for that matter.
    you obviously havent done youe homework. ABS/SAB are available on the altima 2.5S since it was redesigned in 2002.

so for 3 years, you have been *trying*??? i doubt that. if you REALLY wanted one, you could have ended your search after only 8-12 weeks.

drift, i swear, i keep running into brilliant people! they keep outsmarting themselves!!! ;-)
    I am not questioning a car salesman interelligence. It was sarcasm. If you are taking this board that serious, you need to relax. No wonder you got out of car sales, I would think it takes thicker skin than that to be in sales of any kind.
    "No wonder you got out of car sales, I would think it takes thicker skin than that to be in sales of any kind."

That's VERY funny, considering what I do now...I have 10 times the heat and stress I had as a manager in the car biz, only now I set my own hours and get paid twice as much, so it's ok.

No, I just don't like jabs at anyone - it's totally unnecessary here, and it's always at someone's expense.

This is an information site, not a let's slam each other site. How about car guys talking about how ignorant their consumers are? You'd probably be offended, and rightfully so.
    You have a point, no more jabs. I think most of the stuff is fairly mild mannered, but not professional. Speaking from the otherside, what is the biggest mistake people make when buying a new car (espicially a new model).
    Not being informed - many folks go in wanting "a pickup" or "a 4 door car" and haven't done a bit of research. They don't know what they really want, haven't discussed options with their spouse and kids, haven't gone over the budget to see if changes need to be made, or payment increases could work, they don't know what their trade's worth, and don't know if they have a down payment.

That's a lot of stuff, I realize, but it seems like 75% of the buyers I've contacted haven't made effort in any of those areas.

Ironically, sitting down at the dining table with your spouse and going over a couple a brochures, looking at colors, looking at option groups, new vehicle values, trade-in value guides, etc, would only take half an hour (especially with my wife's patience for things car related). Spend a bit going over the family budget to alleviate those uncomfortable daggers being stared at you by the wife (or husband) when talking financial stuff at the dealership.

Isn't a half an hour a small amount of time to spend on such a big ticket item, especially considering the repercussions of mistakes in all of the above mentioned areas?

You end up with a vehicle you don't want, too high a payment, wrong color, not the right options, and a mad wife. It doesn't take 6 months, like all of these folks who obsess and get "analysis paralysis"....it's a breeze, really.

Makes the dealer transaction go smooth as silk, too.
    Cannot argue with that. Planning/research is the most important step in any decision and you're right, a lot of folks just have a "want" and seek to fill it. I can see doing that if the "want" is dinner, perhaps, but a car?
    If you make a mistake on your choice of restaurant, you're out $10-50 and you can avoid it next time. Make the wrong move on a vehicle, and you're stuck with it for a few years, or you can pay a $5-10-15k penalty to learn from your mistake.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out Inside Line and the First Drive: 2005 Nissan Frontier article!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The SUBARU CREW Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • PaulPaul Member Posts: 9
    I have an LE CC and the limited slip and ABS light came on at 600 miles. I called the dealer and they think one of the sensors has gone bad. Anyone out there having this problem?
    You should worry less about the homework, and pay more attention in class - I wrote that they were listed as available, and not actually available. If you really want to know what I know, do what I did - go down to the some dealerships and ask them to find one. Offer them money. I've done that. And no cars are available. They won't even look anymore. And can't order them. The manufacturer list them as available as a competitive selling point - "available VSC" and the like. They just don't actually make them available. That was the point of the post.

You've apparently proud of having done your homework by reading the brochures or building one online - now try a field trip.
    actually, i sell them, and i know what im talking about. the only reason they werent available to you at the time was that dealers dont tend to order them that way. there is a difference between "available" and "in stock".
    In the Taco forum, someone bent his tailgate by loading a snowmobile in the back. Does anyone know what the weight limits are on the '05 Frontier. dbauer, since you sell these things, can you find out how much weight the tailgate can handle. I am looking at loading an ATV (weighs a lot less), but I don't want a bent tailgate that the warranty won't cover. thanks
    large 4-wheel ATVs don't affect the gates on the '01, just FYI.

My hope is that an '05 would be built at least as well. :D
    nissan recommends that you remove the tailgate before loading any small vehicles. they say to put a ramp right up to the bed.

however...

most people dont. they dont provide weight-bearing info. for the tailgate anywhere that i can find.