Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    But here's what interests me the most.... If you were to purchase a 2006 525 and drive it for 45K miles or purchase a 2007 525 and drive it for 45K miles - in three years time both cars would have about the same resale value - according to BMWFS residual values. So if I'm shopping for a used (excuse me, a pre-owned) 525 in April 2009 you would sell me the 2007 model for the same amount as the 2006 model. Call me crazy (as my wife regularly does) but I think not.

PS. Next week my M35 turns 1 year. I'll post a short-term review (ala the car magazines) then.
  • jshattnerjshattner Member Posts: 32
    Hi Shipo

In my market at least (Montreal) there was no way the Mercs held their value. The '00 E55 was about $10k over market after 3 years; the '03 E500 about the same (buyout was $CD61K). My wife's '03 C320 was marginal at about $2k over market after 36 mths. Earlier MB's (her '96 C280 and my '97 E420) were great buys at EOL. I've never had a BMW lease (owned an '84 530i once) but my wife is now in a leased 325i, so we'll see. But I'm betting it'll be significantly under water at end of her 39 months. All this to say that it made for good lease payments in all cases.

Infiniti has been far less aggressive on the M here than the Germans, and 3rd party finance doesn't yet have a strong appetite for the M, so that wasn't an option. I could have come pretty close to same lease payments for a 550i Sport as I'm in for the M45, but for my taste and test I preferred the M. At EOL, however, I'm looking at about $CD32k for the M where the BMW would have been in at about $51k. I'm betting the M will be a steal at that buyout. Not too sure about the 550i.

My friends returned 740i and 540i's that were 'way below market at lease-end, and that just confirmed to me that, at least here in Canada, BMW was and continues to be competing by taking it out at the back end.

Regards

Jerry
  • gregisgod13gregisgod13 Member Posts: 27
    does anybody know when the 2007 e series mercedes-benz are coming out. i really like to purchase an e 350 but i wanna kno when it will come out.
  • moxiemoxie Member Posts: 33
    :confuse:
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Who knows what's real anymore? Will $4.50 per gallon for gas stick (it was reported to be "up to" that price today in NYC.)

Two analysts are predicting "certain" $90 per barrel oil and possibly $100+ in 2006.

OK so you can afford a $50,000+ car and $60 - $100 for a tank of premium juice. But few of us can honestly say we will continue to forgo "something else" for the sake of our driving pleasure indefinitely.

Those days would appear to be, temporarily at least, all but gone.

OK, so what does all of this have to do with LPS cars -- the cars those of us lucky enough to own and drive have been spoiled in? Well, it is the trickle down effect or something like that, that will have a profound effect on our habits, our economy and frankly our ecology.

As a subscriber to Business Week, I also have on-line access to content and can check out the archives and some other things that non subscribers can't fully indulge in.

So. . .I found this:

Feb 20th issue of BusinessWeek: "The US could save up to 1.4 million barrels of oil per day -- roughly the amount it imports from Saudi Arabia -- if a third of US vehicles ran on diesel."

Hmm, still a little shaky on the LPS connection you think?

OK, check out our neighbors on the other side of the Atlantic and mull this stuff [that follows] over.

"The United States and Europe are taking very different approaches to the use of clean diesel technology to improve fuel economy in passenger cars and light-duty trucks, according to a report released by the Diesel Technology Forum."

"'We can learn a great deal here in the US from the European experience with clean automotive diesels, and this report profiles the experiences and policies that have led to these successes,' according to Allen Schaeffer, executive director of the Washington, DC-based Diesel Technology Forum."

"The contrast in diesel usage between the U.S. and Europe is stark:

In Europe -- one of every three new cars sold today [already] is powered by clean diesel technology and in the premium and luxury categories (LPS, don't you know?), over 70 percent are clean diesels.

But in the US -- light-duty diesels account for only about 0.26% of all new cars sold, with only slightly higher figures in the light-duty truck markets."

"What we've found is that the Europeans are able to reap the rewards of clean diesel technology -- efficiency and environmental benefits -- while the US has mostly regulatory roadblocks," said Schaeffer. "It's completely understandable why clean diesel technology has such a high acceptance in Europe -- the engines provide more power, are more fuel efficient, are more durable, are extremely responsive with low-end torque, and have 30-60 percent lower greenhouse gas emissions."

From Audi's Global Web Sites:

o A6 C6 3.2 gas 0 - 100kph 7.1 seconds

o A6 C6 3.0 tdi 0 - 100kph 7.0 seconds

o Mileage 3.0 tdi ~40% better than 3.2 gas version

In context:

Cost of diesel TODAY (in greater Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth) ~ $.22 less per gallon than premium gas.

Top speed (limited) of both versions is 130MPH.

Easily "capable" of over 40MPG in stock form (but no one would really drive it this way in real life.)

70% of the LPS cars sold over there are diesels -- why are we expending so much energy on information, dis-information and even mis-information. Other than a few folks like us here on the LPS blog, who is reading the BW article? It should be on the nightly news, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, Fox, Bloomberg, The History Channel, Discovery and Romper Room for good measure -- hell, put it on Nick at Nite just in case.

At least, thus far, Audi has gone ahead and "promised" the A6 with the 3.0 tdi will be coming to this side of the Atlantic!

LPS cars are the bellwether -- I'm not sure we're quite "gettin' it" over here folks.

Of course, I could be wrong. . . .often am.

:confuse:
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I first fall in love with a car model and then I look at engine choices. This time around, I wanted the MB E-Class. I came very close to getting the CDI option but decided against it. Why?

Base cost was $1000 more.
    Diesel in Chicago was more expensive than premium.
    Finding one with my mix of options would have been harder.
    I wanted the 7 speed transmission, not 5.
    I wanted the 17" wheels, not 16"
    The efficiency of the V6 gas wasn't bad. I'm getting 22 with my E350 and the CDI is rated only 5 mpg more.

I'm sold on diesel. I'm not afraid of finding stations, the fumes, or all the other problems of the past. I agree Europe has it right. The problem is the rest of my USA peers don't get it, yet. That limits the supply. A limited supply makes it harder for picky luxury car buyers to find a diesel that fits.

Maybe our diesel choices will blossom as gas prices go up.
  • turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    Wish that the diesel engine option was available in California, but that won't happen until low-sulphur fuel becomes available.

For city driving conditions, the diesel is vastly superior in fuel economy to the gas engine..... it's been the overwhelming favorite in European taxis. The reason being that the diesel engine, regardless of rpm, is essentially pulling in the same amount of air. Thus, when idling or at low rpm, the fuel-air mixture of the diesel engine is EXTREMELY lean!

Unfortunately,the petroleum companies are in the driver's seat. Lower mpg = More fuel used = More profits!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I think diesel is going to catch on much stronger than we think once MB starts pushing the 07's models and especially if they can certify the Bluetec models for those 5 pesky states in which they can't sell diesels right now. NY and Cali are some of MB's biggest markets in the U.S. Its going to be diesel mania come October with 4 MB diesels going on sale.

M
  • dan339gdan339g Member Posts: 56
    If the demand for diesel fuel continues to rise, do we just trade one evil for another? Does the refining infrastructure exist to support expanded Global demand (i.e. can refineries quickly and cheaply switch from gasoline to diesel?) Is refining crude oil into diesel more efficient than gasoline (i.e. does the same gallon crude oil refine translate into more diesel fuel as opposed to gasoline?) Just wondering.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    If the demand for diesel fuel continues to rise, do we just trade one evil for another? Does the refining infrastructure exist to support expanded Global demand (i.e. can refineries quickly and cheaply switch from gasoline to diesel?) Is refining crude oil into diesel more efficient than gasoline (i.e. does the same gallon crude oil refine translate into more diesel fuel as opposed to gasoline?) Just wondering.

I've thought the same thing about prices over time as demand changes. I've even posed the question here on Edmunds before......

If diesel becomes the new standard and gasoline becomes passé, then why wouldn't diesel just get more expensive? Just in the last couple years, the gap between gasoline and diesel has greatly narrowed. Despite diesel being easier to refine, I can't imagine the oil companies not cashing in. :(

It's interesting what Iran's president Ahmadinejad said the other day about gasoline prices. For those that missed it, he said [paraphrased] that Western oil companies were actually making the most money from oil since they were charging incredibly high profit margins. Not that I'm supportive of Iran and their policies, but it makes you wonder who's really screwing us.... I'm sure everyone's screwing whomever they can. ;)
    Good question, I'm not sure. I suspect bdr127 is correct. Last year all the major oil companies cried about how their profits would be so badly damaged by the storms in the gulf, but then come year end they posted record profits. Its all a bunch of bs when you really think about it. Gas goes up in summer because people aren't using as much gas in their homes and vice versa is what I say.

M
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    It makes me crazy when the gas companies plead poverty and then post profits so large they could be reduced many times and no one would notice the loss (from a practical standpoint).

But I think prices go up in the summer because everyone drives more (the family vacation and all that...)
    But I think prices go up in the summer because everyone drives more (the family vacation and all that...)

Yes and they know you've got to have gas even a Prius has to fill up at some point. Talk about being over a barrel, litterally.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Unfortunately, the picture painted in this months C&D energy article is (as usual) pretty negative.

"We could be self-sufficient now. All it would take would be a willingness to pay nearly a buck extra a gallon for ethanol made from corn. But paying more for each mile we drive-without some other benefit, would just make us poorer. And let's be clear, there is no benefit. The most optimistic assessment I've seen of ethanol was a study by the University of California, Berkeley, Published in January of this year. "Putting ethanol instead of gasoline in your tank...is probably no worse for the environment than burning gasoline" said the authors."

The article goes on to say that it takes 1.5 gallons of ethanol to equal the amount of energy in 1 gallon of gas (which is still better than natural gas, LPG, and even hydrogen), that gasoline\ethanol mixtures, such as E85, have smog problems, and that it cant be shipped in pipelines, raising costs higher.

"Which brings us to Mr. Bush's ethanol from "wood chips, stalks, or switch grass". These are biomass sources, a category that includes everything from forest thinings to municipal garbage. Unlike corn, which is a food, these cellulosic materials have little use and are therefore cheap. Here's the gotcha: Turning them into ethanol costs more than making it from corn."

The article ultimately says that the best current alternatives to gasoline are corn based ethanol, or vegetable oil based biodiesel, but I think the U.S. is quite a long way off from either being a viable mainstream option, so it's going to be same old, same old for awhile.
    The "lunch or watercooler" topic du jour around the office has yours truly touting the virtues of diesel (including, of course bio-diesel) and the importance of the "trickle down" effect from so-called Luxury items to the more "accessible" items.

On the other side of the debate are my challengers that tell me "what I am saying is impossible, because a US vehicle that is gasoline is NOT bettered by nearly 40% (in MPG's) by the available diesel counterpart."

Whew!

First and foremost, in this debate (tempting to call it an argument) both the points of view can be said to be correct. Why?

Let's look at this from the point of view of the one engine/car combinations that I have spent some time researching -- I am led to believe, but have not checked each and every MFGR's web site to confirm, that the following in spirit, at least, translates to "most" European car offerings -- the Audi 3.0L turbo diesel vs the Audi 3.2L normally aspirated gasoline engine.

Both engines displace roughly same "volume" -- 3.0 vs 3.1+ L. Both engines when used in identical current MY A6 chassis Audis with identical 6speed automatic transmissions accelerate (according to MFGR's specs) from 0 to 100kph (62MPH) about the same (7.1 seconds for the gasoline version and 7.0 seconds for the diesel version). Without using any "hail Mary" tactics to achieve the maximum possible MPG's, the diesel A6 achieves over 39% more MPG's. Subject to change, one would imagine, diesel here in Cincinnati is generally ten to twenty-five cents cheaper per gallon than Premium Gasoline (which is required by the Audi A6 3.2 model.)

Note: "home made" bio diesel in late 2005 could be "brewed by Everyman" at an out the spigot price of $.70 per gallon. Even if the costs have doubled to "brew your own," the economics seriously favor "home made" bio-diesel but even with Premium/Diesel price equality, diesel wins by virtue of the 39%+ greater distance per gallon that it offers.

"Clean Diesel" (European diesel, NOW and North American diesel LATER this year) adds another characteristic to the mix: "30-60 percent lower greenhouse gas emissions,"according to the Washington, DC-based Diesel Technology Forum.

The rush to buy (or at least demand) such vehicles here in the US would seem to be a foregone conclusion. And, I am not limiting this to those who would want an Audi product -- I am thinking much more broadly than simply one German manufacturer. The narrowness of the example and stats cited is to attempt to allow us (around the water cooler) to get our arms around the discussion and to be able to draw some conclusions, etc.

The VP of Sales of my company has a new Ford F150 4door pickup truck with a HUGE thirsty V8 engine and literally every possible "luxury" option Ford offers on such vehicles. The darn thing is very posh -- and it does NOT require the afterthought "for a truck." It is very posh, period. Riding in it is comfortable and quiet. At highway speeds it is quite the Roadmaster. Beats me how it would handle the twisties (presumably my A6 would leave it in the distance), but it is a very impressive "car."

"So," I say, "you complain about nearly $100 fill ups, yet why didn't you get a diesel version of the thing?" The short answer contains two data points: the Ford F150 diesel is VERY noisy (both inside and out) and somewhat smelly (minor) but it is essentially not significantly more economical to fuel and drive. Unlike the Audi example, above, there is not really an apples-to-apples comparison that is available since there is really no equivalent offering in the diesel format.

Diesel cars from Ford or GM -- name three that you would have that meet the A6 to A6 comparison. I'll wait.

And wait.

Yet, there are Mercedes E class gas and E class diesel vehicles that are mostly equivalent automobiles (equivalent displacement and performance that is similar, i.e.) And, in the case of the Merc, you can buy one on this side of the Atlantic. Hmm, one would imagine that it would NOT require an engineering miracle to put a Mercedes turbo-diesel in a Chrysler 300 that would be able to sit beside the gasoline 300 in terms of cubic displacement (if not volumetric displacement.)

We keep dinkin' around with gas-electic hybrids yet we have some decent engineering and street cred in the diesel realm that we are "frittering away."

And, now, today, on "The Today Show" the prospect of gasoline over $4.00 per gallon looms ever more realistic in our near-term. How does an $80 per tank fill up sound 4.3 times per month (on average?) Fritter, fritter, fritter.

Here in Ohio (and in Michigan) we are lagging the rest of the country's economic recovery and boom times as we sit in the midst of beleaguered giant auto companies breathing ever more heavily under the pressure to discount their vehicles due in part to the fact that the cost [of ownership; to operate, i.e] of a GM or Ford car has shot up due in no small measure to the price to fill up the tank.

Here is a blow-your-mind event that happened earlier today: the VP of sales I mentioned earlier is looking for a new SUV. His wife wants one with third row seats. While she was waiting at the Ford dealer for the oil change on his F150, the sales manager gave her the keys to a $56,000 Ford "E" (Explorer, Expedition, Excursion, Excalibur or whatever they call the big ones with the third row seating) -- loaded to the gills with captains chairs hot and cold running DVD screens, navigation and power articulated bun warmers. She drives the thing. She comes back from the drive and says "thanks." "Ma'am, you can have this for $42,000."

$14,000 off as the starting offer!

She calls her husband on the way home from the dealer to relate this experience. By the time she reaches her house some 30 minutes later, there is a voice mail offering the vehicle for $39,000 if she buys in April and uses FoMoCo Credit for the purchase or lease.

She has decided to wait to test the Audi Q7 and discuss the Q7 (and some others, some American made) diesel offering. And this from two folks who are already Ford customers who have had zero issues (other than that sucking sound at the gas station) with their F150.

I'm waiting for the call that says, "we'll give YOU $39,000 to take it off our hands, just so long as you buy the gasoline from us."

Part 2 follows. :shades:
    Part two of the water cooler debate has to do with the "trickle down" phenomenon.

My father's first brand new car was a 1963 Chrysler Newport. It had three options: Torque-flyte 3-speed Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes. It had an AM Radio, and manual everything -- it did not have air conditioning even. The Chrysler Imperial's on the lot right next to the Newports had "full power" even the cozy wings were power articulated as was the tuning and station selection on the AM - only radio.

My second Audi, a [new] 1979 Fox GTI, had (hold on to your seats) power brakes, AM/FM mono and "factory A/C" -- that's it. It was the most expensive car I had ever had [that I purchased] to date. My Company car was a 1978 Audi 5000 with "power pack" and a sunroof (crank operated, of course.)

Upstream cars had power steering, brakes, windows, locks, sunroof, mirrors and air conditioning (and on and on) standard or "they were only sold that way." The neighbor with the similarly sized Cadillac (similar to the Newport) had power "everything" compared with our measly brakes and steering assists.

Today, probably for as long as many folks here can remember, even many of the "econo-boxes" come with or are only sold with "full power" and often even the entry level versions are equipped with CD players, anti-lock brakes and even climate control.

Everything: convenience, economy, luxury, performance and safety "features" starts at the "high line" cars and trickles down (more and more rapidly than ever, these days) to the more affordable offerings from the company.

Diesel, one could reasonably conclude will become one of the "it" features or technologies, oh, NEXT TUESDAY, at the current rate of fuel cost escalation.

Several European manufacturers are poised to export these "clean and [more] powerful" versions of their successful LPS cars and then almost immediately follow suit with their more downstream models. As mentioned, it would seem that Daimler-Chrysler engineers and marketing types would be busily figuring out what it will take to adapt and adopt clean, efficient and powerful (and VERY durable) diesel engines -- already proven engines -- into the entire line from Neon to Charger to the new 300D (which, ironically [and perhaps quite fortuitous from a marketing standpoint] will be able to stand for the next generation after "C" and also the first generation of Diesel motivated Chrysler cars.)

Poor GM with the $67,000 Hulks called Escalade V8's with their huge weight and gas sucking ways.

Moreover, Audi [at Sebring] has just proven the possible, if not probable, viability of a Chrysler 300 Turbo - Diesel SRT-8.

The water cooler talk ended with nothing but confusion and, from one staff member, hope that the American MFGR's (specifically Ford and GM) bring similar offerings first to their "rank and file" LPS cars and then quickly trickle down this technology to the "bread and butter" non-LPS vehicles.

Now, where did I put that URL for the "brew your own bio-diesel" kit? Just a sample of some info -- just a sample, can be found here:

Kliky-kliky

Prediction: In May, 2006 gasoline will TOP $3.30 per gallon (for regular) and those of us Premium drinkers will be "regularly" looking at $3.50+ per gallon or, in my case I just translate that to a $70.00 fill up.

The sky's the limit!

Drive it like you live. :surprise:
    Those diesels in the Silverados, F-150s, etc, are built for one thing, torque. I doubt NVAH (and smell) are even a moderate consideration when it comes to designing these engines. They're supposed to be work horses, not "luxury trucks" (still an oxymoron if you ask me, no matter how "posh" the F-150 and its Lincoln clone become).

What needs to happen for diesels to go anywhere in this country is somebody besides Volkswagen has to pick up the torch and offer a diesel for the average joe (and advertise). The Jetta TDI is great, but I cant remember seeing a VW commercial actually featuring it. There were plenty of "grown up, sort of" ads, but I dont remember seeing "diesel's grown up as well" in any of them.

America's car companies are Honda and Toyota, but they're of course a bit busy with hybrids. A diesel Mazda3 or Sentra would be a smart move, but I doubt its going to happen any time soon.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    So, Bimmer aficionados, any word on whether the 530i will become the 535i (300 hp) and the 525i will become the 528i (230 hp) for the 2007 MY?
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    I believe there are no changes b/w the 06 and the 07 other than 4 year/50k mile "on-star" and a more cleaner burning engine.

also, got a quote before tax and license for a 07 530 with the following options

Premium package
    Navigation
    Rear sunshade
    Automatic

$50,788

How is this deal?
    Did they discontinue the availability of the manual?!?!?!?!

:cry:

Or not?

:)
  • socalguy61socalguy61 Member Posts: 10
    I'd say that's a smokin' deal for a 2007. MSRP for that car is $53,645.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    On paper... GS450h MSRP = $54900

More info:
    link title
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Personally I hate SUV's, but if I had to buy one, the Cayenne and the Infiniti's would be my top choices as they have a little different style from the usual sun-blocking behemoths out there...

Well the Cayenne and the FX are SUVs in "name" only :blush: No way these should be even considered an SUV; and rich545 called it a "truck" :confuse:

By the way. I traded an FX for an M :shades:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    ummm... eh, never mind. I guess we shouldn't discuss why something is or is not a sport-utility vehicle on the LPS board.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Realize this is off-topic for this forum, but wrong about the Cayenne being an SUV in name only. It's actually very capable off-road when equipped with the appropriate tires. It can also tow 7,700 lbs. which beats the majority of mid-sized SUV's out there. So let's see, good off-road capabilities, great on-road performance, flexible cargo space and large towing capacity; sounds like an SUV to me. How do you define SUV? I think you may unrealistically expect more UV from them than SUV. Let's move to the Cayenne forum though if you'd like to continue the discussion.
    Well maybe there could be a forum called LPSUV or, for short, LUV.

The Cayenne certainly is qualified for such a TLA, don't you think, "LUV"? :confuse:
    April 2006 Sales – Midsize Luxury Sedans:

E = 3,778
    5 = 3,699
    M = 2,417
    GS = 2,336
    STS =
    A6 = 1,555
    RL = 1,031
    STS sold 2,088 last month.

Interesting that the Infiniti has outsold the Lexus for the past two months and YTD. The sales of the Infiniti G35 increased every year after it's introduction - could the same happen with the M? A new Q is due this fall. It's suppose to make the M appear like the G.

Don't worry BMW fans. The 5-series has still outsold the E by 40% YTD. Will likey return to #1 next month.

The STS - driven by rebates - time for Cadillac to step up.

Mark's beloved Audi has now outsold Acura for each of the past 6 months and 10 of the last 14.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Why so interesting? The M is a much better car than the GS.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    A new Q is due this fall. It's suppose to make the M appear like the G.

It's the new G that's coming this fall. We might never see another Q, just when Infiniti is getting its act together.

This hurts Lexus even more: according to WSJ, the average transaction price for an M is higher than GS, even though GS has the higher MSRP. Meaning probably it's harder to make a deal on an M.
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    I heard a new Q is coming in 2008...just a rumor, though. The spread between invoice and MSRP is quite a bit higher in the GS than the M, so the M has less wiggle room...not that Lexus wants to have deep discounts on a vehicle.
    Why so interesting? The M is a much better car than the GS.

Brand loyalty plays a big part in the sales of any category of luxury goods. The quality of the product, while important, is not as important as perceived luxury and/or status to many buyers. Many luxury products have earned a solid reputation as the best when in reality, some may no longer live up to their reputation. The Lexus has a much higher brand value than Infiniti so the fact that Infiniti has taken it to them is significant, especially in such a short period of time.

If Infiniti outsold the established category leaders in the USA, (BMW & MB) that would be quite an accomplishment. Not only would they have to provide a superior car (which some think they already have) but they would also have to overcome the strong brand loyalty that BMW & MB possess. This last item is no small feat.

Imagine that Casio produced a luxury timepiece and priced it just below the comparable Rolex. Most would be stunned if Casio outsold Rolex. OK I know my example is far-fetched but the principles are the same.
    It's the new G that's coming this fall. We might never see another Q, just when Infiniti is getting its act together.

According to the service manager at my local dealer (a reliable source???) Infiniti is sending over both a new G35 and Q45 in the next twelve months. They really need to hit a home run with the Q. Their "flagship sedan" has been killed by the competition ever since it's introduction in the early 90's. If you are a serious player in the luxury sedan market, you have to have a strong flagship - just look at the battle between the German automakers at that level.

Will Ghosn complete the trifecta? Both the G and M have made Infiniti a player in their respective luxury levels. Can he pull one more out of the hat. If so, he just might replace Bangle!!
    Another interesting thing is that if you look on eBay, there are loads of barely used RLs and GS300s and 430s at huge discounts. In stark contrast to that, there are maybe 2 or 3 of the new Ms on eBay at any one time, and they dont have the same heavy discounts.

I dont think Acura will be able to beat Audi in sales again, at least not until they come out with the lower-tech, low price version of the car. The only real success they had was when Infiniti and Lexus were non-competitors in 2005. The RL will never enjoy the class leading sales that the TL does.

If the next Q was going to be a '07 model, wouldnt there be at least some info on the car by now? Wouldn't it have been at the NYAS along with the next G? I haven't seen anything on the new Q, no specs, no CG guesstimates, nothing. That doesnt sound like a car that is only a few months away.
    Don't worry BMW fans. The 5-series has still outsold the E by 40% YTD. Will likey return to #1 next month.

If you do it will be short lived. When that facelifted E lands in July it will be all over for the 5-Series for the year, I'm predicting. I have a harmless bet with Dewey about this, you want in..lol???

M
    I forget who coined the phrase but the "curse of the GS" seems to have started for Lexus already. I'm kinda surprised to see it dropping at a good rate already.

M
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    If you do it will be short lived. When that facelifted E lands in July it will be all over for the 5-Series for the year, I'm predicting. I have a harmless bet with Dewey about this, you want in..lol??

I'll take a piece of that action. :)

I may be personalizing too much, but when I consider what my next sedan might be, the BMW 5-series is still the "driver's choice". A facelift of the E-class won't help win me over. A couple of AMG engineers taking a long enough break from their quest to produce a 1,000+ horsepower E77 to focus on a sportier chassis, better steering and, most of all, short throw 6-speed for an E500 model would do the trick. But I'm not turning red holding my breath.

There appears to be a sea of choices for someone that wants a "nice" driving, powerful luxury sedan like an A6, M35/45, E350/500, RL, GS, Jaguar, etc. But if you are inclined to go for a 550i 6-speed like I would be, there are NO other choices. I'd take a 530i 6-speed sport long before I'd take anybody else's V8.

So, what's the wager? ;)
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    My wife and I looked at the GS. Just something about it didn't feel right to us. It is a great car, but just not what she was wanting. We're seeing them everywhere, and she didn't want a car that everybody else had. Thank goodness she didn't go with the RX330 or 400h.

-Paul
    I can't see anyone in his right mind paying a premium for a dog like the GS when so many better choices are out there.

The GS has has very little interior room, limited head room, uncomfortable seats, very little trunk space, a ridiculously placed open-close panel containing necessary controls, fussy brakes, turn it with one pinky steering, cannot perform with its peers as demonstrated in comparo after comparo, and given all that, sells at a ridiculous premium.

The name Lexus can take a vehicle just so far.
    It's about time Lexus humanely puts this vehicle to sleep.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    [QUOTE]
    I can't see anyone in his right mind paying a premium for a dog like the GS when so many better choices are out there.
    The GS has has very little interior room, uncomfortable seats, very little trunk space, a ridiculously placed open-close panel containing necessary controls, cannot perform with its peers and sells at a ridiculous premium.
    [/QUOTE]

Perhaps that is what my wife didn't like about it. :)

-Paul
    I drove the GS 300 and the 430 and I really felt uncomfortable-I was trying to force myself to like something I couldn't. I got a great lease offer on the 430-but I couldn't go through with it.

After driving the 545, the choice became rather easy.
    I got a better leasing deal on the BMW than I got on the already good offer on the GS 430.
    No compromises with the BMW. Everything just right.
    Still happy after 9 months.
    "according to WSJ, the average transaction price for an M is higher than GS, even though GS has the higher MSRP."

mariner,

Do you have a link to this? What were the respective prices for each?
    Will it? The V8 is now stronger, but the E500 wasn't exactly slow. As for the facelift, to me it looks nearly identical to last year, both inside and out. I dont think changes only the most diehard Benz fanatic will notice are enough for it to suddenly kill the 5 in sales.
  • turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    "The GS has has very little interior room, limited head room, uncomfortable seats, very little trunk space, a ridiculously placed open-close panel containing necessary controls, fussy brakes, turn it with one pinky steering, cannot perform with its peers as demonstrated in comparo after comparo, and given all that, sells at a ridiculous premium."

Couldn't agree more! Test drove a new GS300 on two different occasions, as did the wife, and we both found it to be a MAJOR disappointment. The car did not feel solid and handling was sloppy. The wife actually preferred her ES300 over the GS300, which saved me a lot of coin!
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    They really need to hit a home run with the Q.

It's going to be a great challenge for Infiniti. They have not proved they can build a profitable full size luxury car yet. I read Ghosn likes to build many models off the same platform to increase profitability. I'd imagine they must have a new larger platform for Q, and what other Infiniti models can share that platform. That's why I'm still skeptical about new Q.
  • msilver1msilver1 Member Posts: 2
    HELLO,

I AM NEW TO THIS POST AND I AM TRYING TO DECIDE ON A NEW CAR. I HAD TO SELL MY LEXUS SC430 BECUSE OF FAMILY REASONS(BUMMER). I HAVE LOOKED AT THE BMW 545I AND I LIKED THE POWER, BUT IT FELT STIFF AND NOT COMFORTABLE. I REALLY LIKE LEXUS, BUT THE GS300 HAS NO GUTS AND THE GS430 IS OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE. I DROVE THE INFINITI M, BUT I ALWAYS GO BACK TO LEXUS. I CAN BUY A 2006 GS430 WITH 9K MILES FOR 47K- WHAT DO YOU THINK???

THANSK
    What the heck is this, GS bashing party? I can't speak for all the GS buyers, but these are the reasons why I bought my last generation GS:
    1- I wanted Lexus RELIABILITY and luxury.
    2- I was not ready for an LS ( My wife called it Gram pa's car)
    3- The IS is too sporty.
    4- The ES is too much like a Camry and does not feel as solid as the GS or LS.
    5- BMW 5's are more expensive to insure and own out of warranty. The current model is ugly from the side (the rear end looks sliced).
    6- Never even looked at Benz due to publicity around reliability issues.
    7- Never looked at Audi since I associate them with VW and related reliability issues
    8- Infiniti is not as refined as Lexus, and seems to cut corners in few areas.

I am not crazy about the new GS design but I would take a GS450h model any day.
    You mentioned the 530i 6-speed sport and I assume you meant the 6 speed manual.

However, I actually had the "good fortune?" to take a long test drive in a 2006 530xi (unfortunately it had the automatic) and then afterwards get into my own 2005 A6 (which does have the 18" wheels, but no sport suspension, but the 530xi sport doesn't either.)

The driver's car between THESE particular two versions?

They were both similar in many respects. The BMW did have 17" wheels and all season tires. My A6 has 18" wheels and all season tires. They both have 6spd automatics, they both have 255HP engines, they both. . .well you know the story, they compete (especially in Europe) fiercely. The A6 -- TODAY may be outselling the 530 in Europe and next month the tables may be turned (but the differences are much narrower.)

Trying to be objective (or at least keep my subjectivity as capped as possible), both cars are great to pilot. The A6 seems a bit larger (I think it really is) and this creates two impressions. One is more favorable to the performance quotient, one more favorable to the luxury checklist. If you want a bigger passenger compartment and more rear seat room, the Audi obliges more than the Bimmer.

Performance (two components, urge and nimbleness) differences between the two were real but minor. The BMW with 100 miles on the clock was not as "peppy" and the engine at full cry sounded like a six cylinder (a strong sound, but sort of like a home theater with a B+ sub-woofer); the Audi, with 15,000 miles on it was stronger throughout (but this could be the advantage of the miles showing up) -- the Audi's engine sounds, however, were second in sweetness only to the 4.2 V8 from the same company.

Note: a BMW V8, which I last drove in 2002 in a 7 series, doesn't resonate (no pun intended) in my "memory" as sounding this smooth and authoritative.

In the Audi V6, the sub-woofer was present and accounted for.

The other performance component -- "handling" -- was also close, but the BMW seems to inspire more confidence, but the 17" no season tires were working hard to kill that confidence. The Audi isn't as soft (riding) as the BMW, but it's nose heaviness doesn't do it any favors.

Subsequently, but not back to back, I drove an A6 with the sport suspension and higher performance tires and although the ride harshness did increase slightly, the front end heavy wallowing was largely tamed.

The Audi interior was more inviting to the eye and the butt, too -- but like 98% of all BMW's on the road these days, the Silver BMW 5 series had a Black leather interior with "black gloss wood" adorning its dash (somebody slash my wrists, please, I get so depressed, so Goth-like in a BMW with its "starker" interior when it is done in Black on Black.)

Anyway, here is my challenge -- ONLY if you are going down the automatic transmission path: test drive an A6 SLine and a BMW 530xi back to back (and hopefully the 530 will be equipped with the optional 18" wheels and tires.)

If you are looking for a driver's choice, you may find either car "more desirable" than some of the other cars competing for your bucks.

Don't count the Audi A6 Sline out as a "driver's car" that is. If, however, you want the row your own car, get the BMW -- it is the epitome of L+P+S -- nothing else, at this time, even comes close. If you are thinking of the BMW with the auto, you "owe" yourself a long drive and look see at the "other, less popular (over here) German car."

At this point, the 530xi if it is offered next year with both the stick shift AND the sport suspension with 18 or larger wheels and tires (factory spec). . .well, it would be my hands down favorite. Moreover, if the management ever decides to offer the 530xi with the twin turbo i6 @ 300HP AND the stick AND the sport package -- well, well, well, nothing (under $60,000) could even come close.

But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong (often am), just never uncertain. :shades:
    Some folks put Performance, Luxury, Control, Safety, "driver's car qualities," i.e. somewhat (even if it is a little bit) ahead of reliability.

Some folks, some Car & Driver type editors (and other car maven magazines, too) dis the GS because it seems to place "the driving experience" slightly behind some other qualities.

This does NOT make you wrong or them less right. You put reliability and luxury as your #1. I "assume" those who put performance (in some way, fashion, manner or regard) in "their" number 1 -- apparently -- don't go for the GS.

I gather, by reading, the GS is "less involving" and "more isolating" [some call that luxury] than some others in the pack.

Drive it like YOU live. :surprise:
    Mark, yes reliability has to be at the top of my list. As you can see, I am still driving my fully paid for 2001 GS. I could probably drive this cars for another 2-3 trouble free years.