Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    Now my 2005 LR3 has an apparent wiring fault or shortcircuit, again... the left rear speaker constantly crackles very loudly and the "left rear door open" warning is on (no, it isn't open). If I turn off the light above my head, the warning and crackling stop.

Car is in the shop - has been for three days and I just got back from the USA to find that Budds have not delivered it back.. so I shall be takiong taxis tomorrow (and for heaven knows how long). Has anyone had similar faults?
    I just heard from the dealer: it is a short in a junction box under the dash. Took them two days to find and now we await the parts.
  • killerphishkillerphish Member Posts: 7
    I mean when I fold that seat down, even just to the first position, the seat belt retracts (as it's supposed to) but won't release when I try to unfold the seat, thereby binding the seat in its folded position. I know it's not supposed to unfold from the completely flat mode, but from the first position the seat belt should release when unfolding. Anyway, I've brought it back to the dealer to get a new mechanism installed...

You're right there's a lot of space back there. Love this car!
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    I ordered my LR3 with the Tow hitch receiver, and the towing electrics, but looking at it, I can't seem to find where to plug the trailer harness in...

Also, I don't seem to see anywhere to hook up the towing backup chains to the hitch anywhere (required by law in Ontario)

Anyone have any ideas?

/DA
    Ya, the space is what attracted me to this SUV over all the others... It has way more cargo room than even the full sized Range Rover, or RRS...

I got mine with the 7-passenger seating, and because of that, I was worried about some of my messier hauls (like landscaping, or some other dirty task) that dirt would get into the cracks between the 3rd row seats, so I got the rubberized cargo tray.. really excellent accessory, but kind of difficult to figure out where to store it when using the 3rd row seats...

/DA
    I now know what it is - roughly.

- Shortciruit in the fuse box under the dash.

- To replace this, the fuse box sensor needs replacing too.

- This fuse box sensor needs to be programmed to my car.

- The only tool in North America that can do this, is in the USA

- But the software in this tool has changed, so they cannot use it to program a new fuse box sensor.

- They therefore have to get one from the UK.

- I am once again without my LR3 for a week.

I am not sure why getting a part from the UK takes so long; I offered to pay for Fedex next day delivery but it does not work that way, I am told.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I have just under 7,500 miles and 9 months of ownership. It has been smooth sailing so far. I'm still averaging about 13.9 mpg on my city/hwy driving.

I need to read in the service manual but when did you guys have your tires rotated and balanced? Mine seem to be wearing perfectly even.

Also, is that service covered under the bumper to bumper maintenance warranty?

Happy Roving! Mark156 :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I think the 15,000 mile service includes a tire rotation. In fact I am sure it does because I remember our service manager complaning that they should do it at 7,500 miles to help fight bad tire wear.
    I feel for you wrt parts wait rage.

I had to wait two weeks to pick up my 06 LR3 because the Wood Trim was back ordered - I checked eBay the first time they told me that... confirmed that the partno was the same as my dealer had ordered, and went back and let the dealer know, that I could get it from eBay with next day delivery, so I don't understand why they have problems sourcing parts???

I guess it's all a part of owning an english car.. maybe that's why we all bond together so well at get-togethers - we've all been through the same wash with these cars...

On the up side, the truck is fantastic, so when all this is behind you, I'm certain you'll remember why you bought the truck in the first place. Nobody buys a LR unless you love them..

/DA
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    dandrews1: The electrics are behind the cover plate just above the receiver, you have to remove a couple turn screws with a large coin. There should be both a 4 pin flat and a 7 pin round on the left side under the cover.
    I really don't recall if that's where the chains hook to also. I haven't towed with mine yet, but I installed the electrics myself so I remember where they go.
    Enjoy your new LR.
    I like my lr3.. but having had it in the shop for oh, almost two months since I bought it a year and a half ago is wearing thin, I must admit!

I wouldn't mind if the dealer did not make me drive a Subaru in the mean time...
  • texaslr3mantexaslr3man Member Posts: 1
    My 05 V6 with 7M miles was broadsided by an out of control suburban last week, trashing the driver's side from front to rear and blowing out the side curtain airbags. I am about to negotiate with the driver's insurance company and wonder if any forum members have had any experience in trying to sell low mileage, late model LR's after $15M or so in body work. I am pushing for them to total it - but how bad do you think I'll get dinged when trying to resell? Carmaxx says 50% discount to NADA after repairs are made. LR dealers say they won't touch the car now.

BTW, the side curtain airbag saved my head from going through my driver's window, although it did knock me silly. I plan to buy another LR3 after walking away from this wreck.
    Considering you can by a brand new 2006 V6 LR3 now for about 35,000 dollars I would push them to total it. A V6 LR3 with 7,000 miles and 15,000 dollars worth of body work is totalled.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Well, after again reading nothing but "woe onto me" stuff about LR3's I just need to throw in a "what a great vehicle" post...I'm at 18,000 miles after 19 months and have had NO issues, complaints, or problems. Yes, the dealer perfomed two recall "repairs" and did some other things like up-date the computers - but it was nothing that was needed. This has been the absolute best vehicle I've owned (since my 2000 Discovery II) and that includes numerous Toyota's, Mercedes', BMW's, and many others. So, happy Rovering to all and may you someday experience the same bliss as me.
  • mmac1mmac1 Member Posts: 11
    I had a boss and a friend that were in wrecks caused by someone else. Because the value is now taken out of your car, they sued and won for the difference. Apparently insurance companies are becoming more ready to pay this and there was an article about a year ago in the WSJ. I would ask your insurance company about it and also discuss with an attorney.
    I was searching for my towing electrics the other day (see my previous post, and I did find them, eventually) when I noticed these strange things hanging from the frame at the rear of my LR3.

Right above each muffler exhuast, and suspended from the frame, right before it connects with the bumper mount are two large, heavy, swinging cast iron things (one on each side)- I can't for the life of me think of what they are for?

They swing loosely from front to back, and by my estimation weigh about 25-35 lbs each. They look to be U-Shaped, like a horseshoe, with the long parts dangling down - they are about 4 to 5 inches in diameter, and appear to be made of cast iron or aluminum (I'm leaning towards iron).

My wife guesses they may be for some kind of aspect monitor that keeps track of how high/low the truck is inclined, but I'm not sure about that... couldn't they have come up with something a bit more elegant than two cast iron weights? I also didn't see any type of electrics going to them to monitor their aspect, but I can't be certain, ans it's pretty tight above the mufflers...

Any thoughts?

/DA
    They have something to do with resonance prevention so you don't get funky harmonics in the vehicle.
    Okay... that one certainly wasn't on my list of possible purposes...

Kind of a low-tech answer to tuning the frame?

/DA
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tidester may have to refresh my memory, but I think that's called diminution in value (a wrecked car that's been fixed isn't worth as much as one with just normal wear and tear). But the coverage isn't automatic. There's some good info over in the Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents discussion (attorney Bob/Marsha7 hangs out there a lot).
    I think that at nearly 6000 lbs empty for a mid size SUV, by far the heaviest vehicle in its class, Land Rover decided they needed to add just a bit more weight... :confuse:

Really I am not sure. I have seen weights like that on many different vehicles to prevent resonance harmonics. I have never seen them as large as they are on the LR3 though.
    I don't think they were too worried it may float away on some river crossing, that's for sure.

On another note, I was going to put a winch on the front of mine, and posted a msg here about what would happen to the front park distance control sensors.... I seem to remember someone replying that they interfered with PDC, and that when they (the dealer) install the winch, they disconnect/disable the front PDC...

So it's a few weeks later, and I'm looking at aftermarket PDC sensors, and considering doing a mod job of installing the winch myself, and rigging up a modified mount for the PDC sensors, when I come across an for a LR genuine Warn 9500-lb winch, which includes everything, including:
    "Winch Park Distance Control Adaptation Kit - 2 Bezels, 2 Spacers, 2 Springs, 2 Retainers"

The eBay listing lists the proper partno's for the winch and electrics, but not separately for the PDC adaptor he details...

Does anyone know if this is a factory piece or after-market?

I suppose I could just ask my LR dealer, but if I do it here, then everyone gets the answer...

Cheers!

/DA
    I think all of the winches we have installed have been attached to the metal brush bar. The metal brush bar disables front PDC no matter if you have the winch installed or not.

Not sure about the PDC adaptor kit I don't remember seeing one in any of the KIT catolgues.
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like this winch is installed on a LR3 with the A-Frame protector?

I'll ask the vendor and see what he says about the PDC adaptor kit?

/DA
    Thanks for the note! I found them about 15 minutes before you posted this. (lol)

I also found the chain hookups too - they are on the removeable part of the tow hitch receiver - and are not easily got at... They seem to be very closely space IMHO - I used to have a pontiac SUV, and they were about 2-3" wider than this setup..

In any case, I'm all set to tow now..

Cheers!

/DA
    Still no car, still driving a Subaru I may have to pay for (I have asked for 5 days and have not gotten a straihgt answer from the dealer).

"The technician who was meant to fix my car called in sick", I was told today. Plus, that is academic, since when the part arrives in Canada it still needs reprogramming, which can only be done in New Jersey.

No ETA on any of that.

Sigh. This is the fourth long (>1 week) stay of my car at the dealership for electrical problems (corroded sensors, corroded wiring looms, shortcircuited fuse boxes). And it is just one and a half years old. God forbid what might go wrong when it's old!
    If you don't mind me asking, which dealer are you going through? (I'm in Canada too)

/DA
    Budds, in Oakville. Where are you based?
    I'm east of Toronto, and I use Grand Touring Autos @ 740 Dupont St in Toronto - they've been absolutely fantastic for anything I've had to do with getting my LR3 serviced.

They claim they sell the most LR's in Canada, so they get a lot of specialty services. They also occasionally have a Defender for sale... imported and converted of course.

They are not the closest LR dealer to me, but IMHO, they are the best one I have found... haven't been to Budd's though..

/DA
    Does anybody know:

I've never towed. If I buy a trailer with electric brakes, and if I have the Land Rover tow electrics which have both a flat 4 and a round 7 connector, will I then have electric brake control for the trailer, or do I have to buy a separate brake controller? Anybody know how this works?

Thanks
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    You'll need to add an electric brake controller... there is a plug for it under the dash near the brake pedal. Ford F-150 style.
    Thanks grommet.
  • lbsealbsea Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    We just purchased a (relatively)new LR3 today--it was an executive demo--and anyway, the one we chose has a brush guard on the front. I'm not quite sure if I want to keep it on. Any thoughts about that? Anyone in the Southern California area interested in purchasing this accessory for your LR3? Maybe we'd be willing to sell it to someone who was interested.

Nevertheless, we're very excited about our new Land Rover :)
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    I suggest keeping the guard. I get alot of compliments with mine and it does protect the front end - at a minimum from flying pebbles on the freeway (or whatever it is that every single truck seems to emit from its rear when you are driving a nicer vehicle) If its an LR genuine part I would be you will grow fond of the look over time. I did
    19 inch Michelien Synchrones. We had tons of problems with the old goodyears on the Early mark III Range Rovers. Land Rover finaly went to the Synchrones sometime in 2004 and now we don't have problems with Range Rover tires anymore.

I wonder why Land Rover decided to use goodyears on the LR3 as it is the only land rover vehicle using goodyears right now.
  • sdradsdrad Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone recommend the best LR dealership in SoCal? Live in S.D. but am willing to travel a bit. In the market for my first Rover...thanks in advance
    I went to LR Mission Viejo twice. Stacy Ward or the guy that sits caddy corner to her are both good sales guides (thats what they are called i think) Keep in mind I live 15 minutes from LR Miramar but I would rather the 60 miles to get to LR Mission Viejo. Its off avery parkway off the 5 etc.

I have had great luck with them with service as well. They always took care of items without any issue. And I think they are building a new building across the street (may be done)

I would be interested to hear what others have to say (also keep in mind that three of my friends who own LRs did the same thing - that is go to MIssion Viejo - after going to Mirimar and all independant of each other)

Good luck
    Oh and as a follow up you may want to stop by California Rovers in Encinitas. Ask for the main guy. Its an independant shop and even though you wont need them till post warranty, they are pretty good and knowledgeable about rovers.
    Ok, my car has been fixed. After almost two weeks in the shop.

They found a shorted cjbox (whatever that is - fusebox of some sort, but programmed to the car?), but that turned out to have been caused by a wiring short: after they removed carpets etc they found 4 wires near left door were burned and rubbing to "B" post. Now fixed.

This is the third or fourth somewhat major wiring/wiring loom issue I have had with this truck. Is wiring not LR's strong point, or do I have a Friday afternoon car! :)
    Do you know the build date on your LR3??? It is on the VIN plate by the drivers door. Let me know if it is an early build car like Sept. 2004 through say May of 2005 or so.

I have had three early build LR3s that I sold that have had chaffed wiring harness issues. They were all very early build cars. I haven't seen that problem in months though. In fact I have had any problems with any 2006 MY LR3s.
  • sdradsdrad Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks ssp1.
    Yes, this is an ryl build - late 2004 build

Oh oh. So I should sell my Lr3 now?
    Oh bah don't sell it no reason to. The three that I sold that had wire chafing issues have been fine for about a year now with no problems at all.
    Just a question for those LR3 owners out there... I have had a few issues with noises, both in the body panels and in the speakers... Also got my first real warning light today (Truck is only a few weeks old).

I have already had some wiring in the dome light area (around the 2nd row climate controls) fixed, and the passenger side front speakers buzzing. (now replaced)

Now I have a strange rattling coming from the passenger side, somewhere in the 2nd row, possibly the door. As well, the driver's side speaker(s) have started buzzing at certain frequencies.

The Warning light is a low coolant warning notice, and when I look at the resevoir, it IS low.. after driving for approx an hour in traffic. I don't remember looking at it before when I first picked up the vehicle to see if it was borderline when I got it.

The service manager at the dealership said it could possibly be a faulty coolant sensor, but visually, it looks low....

I asked if I could top it up myself, and he said that the LR3 uses some special coolant that I probably couldn't pick up at a local auto parts store - so I have to drive it to the dealership to have them top it up. (I couldn't get them to look at it seriously, as they are all booked up in service). So I have to go back tomorrow and have them take a serious look at it, and hopefully find out why it may be leaking coolant, and why it is rattling so much.

Anyone else have something like this?

/DA
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I just had my LR3 in for "low coolant" light message. While the faulty coolant tank was being replaced, they also completed a couple recall / software upgrades. The service mgr said the upgrades (I think they also replaced the compressor) would allow the vehicle systems to communicate better, or something to that effect. I actually can tell a difference...it feels like the transmission is shifting smoother (especially at start-up) and it just seems to drive better. I'm curious to know what exactly was done - anyone have info on this upgrade? Now if I can get them to cover new tires.
    Well, I hope it is something easily replaceable or fixable - my worst fear was that the coolant may be leaking from the block or a head gasket... I'm heading to Quebec on Friday afternoon, so I need my truck badly.

Did they keep your truck a while to get parts for the replacement coolant resevoir? My wife has noticed that the truck is a bit jerky / sluggish on startup as well, but I always assumed that was just us getting used to the very different throttle response this thing has compared to our last vehicle.

Also, what tire problem are you having? I've seen a few threads about uneven tire wear, but haven't been able to follow them well enough to get the gist of what the issue and / or resolution is.

Thanks!

Don
  • nesuvnesuv Member Posts: 10
    I had the low coolant light also. When I looked at the resevoir it was just slightly low. If you research antifreeze you'll find the color is mostly a proprietary marketing scheme. I topped up with Prestone 50/50 Any Make/Any Model/Any Color. The level has not gone down at all and I have not seen the warning light since. I have a feeling it may have been filled on the low side and triggered the sensor. The coolant system holds several gallons, so topping up a cup or two with the Prestone yellow/green antifreeze will not change the orange color.
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    My tire issue is explained in another post a few posts up - the uneven wear is not blatant, but the tires get very noisy at about 30mph and up. Regarding the coolant light, they almost immediately assumed it was a bad sensor and replaced the entire tank assembly. Since I had just under 18K miles at the time, they asked if I could wait while they did the 18K service and the recall / upgrade work. I'm guessing it was about 2 hours total.
    My assumption at this point is that there is no issue with anything, as visually, the resevoir IS low... just not sure if it is leaking from somewhere, or if they just shipped it low, and through the last two weeks, I've somehow filled up some air bubbles and lowered the reserve level.

I have noticed some road noise as well. I remember reading somewhere that there were some suspension tweaks they may have been willing to do, depending on how sharp your dealer is. (british rover can probably speak to that).

just hoping that it is not something severe, as I really need my LR this weekend - I'm going up to Quebec for the LR driving experience thing, and showing up in a rental is not my idea of how the whole thing is supposed to go.
    If they keep it over the weekend, the only way they are going to keep me happy is if I get a dealer loaner, not a rental.

/DA
  • avoncarguyavoncarguy Member Posts: 1
    I've been in the market for a new SUV and have done test drives of just about every SUV available in the market. Living in New England a solid performing and reliable truck. The LR3's capabilities are impressive and I like it alot, but I am concerned about quality. Land Rover has ranked at the bottom of the JD Power surveys for the last few years and Consumer Reports has frowned upon the brand as well. I would be very interested in feedback from LR3 owners on their experience from a reliability perspective.
    I have driven a 2001 LR Discovery and now a 2006 LR3. The 2001 went on long trips cross country, in snow, mud, heat and on rocks. Never had a problem on those trips at all. THere were some maintenance issues but those are particular to the Discovery not the LR3. I have driven my LR3 only 6,500 miles and at this point no issues at all. in fact the vehicle is so great I cant wait for my next longer trip. People who have driven in or driven my LR3 are impressed with the vehicle, and several friends own new land rovers and all feel good about them. I dont trust Consumer reports anymore, not because they pan land rovers but because they like a fixed set of cars and rarely deviate. Sometimes they like one car and dislike another build at the same factory.

I have read alot of criticism on Consumer reports about their evaluation methods and length of test drives. I think more time is needed to see if the LR3, RR Sport and 07 Range Rover (all have the same platform) measure up. For now the car is tops as far as i am concerned!