Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited March 2012
    UPSHOT: Absolutely ! IF (that is a BIG if) you know what you are doing, seamless or like butter.

In a gallows sense of humor mode, passing on a two lane blacktop can almost qualify as "DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME OR IN THE REAL WORLD" warning. There are a host of reasons for this, but as you imply, the stakes are EXTREMELY high. Knowledge and experience can literally be a life and death proposition and/ or result in night of the living dead experiences.

I personally love the New Mexico desert, etc. As you probably know, most of the roads there ARE two lane black tops. The ante is ALWAYS (JACKED AND WAY...) upped when an approaching car is trying to pass, as ...YOU are trying to pass.

There has evolved a custom of putting (normally white) crosses where there have been fatalities. In NM, those crosses seem to be located in (some to MANY) VERY illogical places.
  • Options
    elaine51elaine51 Member Posts: 2
    Need a 12v source near the headlamps (12v when ignition on). Any help will be appreciated.

Currently I can get 12v from running lights and a separate 12v for low/hib beams. Need 12v that will work for when either one are on (running/low/high).
  • Options
    elaine51elaine51 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    ggeeooggeeoo Member Posts: 94
    Get a set of Nokian Entyre there great ,but if you got ice and snow go with the WR by Nokian.
  • Options
    ggeeooggeeoo Member Posts: 94
    I owned a Toy Station wgn 1970 and 1980. Then Dodge Vista after got 1989
    Oldsmobile Station Wgn ,then 99 a Buick Park Ultra now a 2010 VW Jetta Diesel. You cannot see the exhaust or smell it there is fine dust on the tailgate and have the dust on the door threshold. The TDI roars uphill using very little fuel. The Buick would roars uphill getting 9 mpg. I can pack it my
    5 passenger with plenty of room :)
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I cannot help you with the +12 with ign. on up near the lights... However: I will remind you to be careful to NOT block the air-intake for the intercooler with your new lights.
  • Options
    longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    I drive on roads that are a mix of broken pavement, left over salt and sand, rocks and mud from rig moves and farmers dragging dirty ecquipment from one field to another, and the front of my (formerly) mint Jetta looks like a moonscape from all the rock marks and dings.

For some reason I can't find a front hood guard in any of the usual places..Google search, eBay
    or even on this forum...anyone have any thoughts?
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
  • Options
    "We have Hoodguards for these models:

1999.5 - 2005 Jetta"

Thanks for the link cosmos, but they don't stock the hood guard for the newer Jettas.

I found another link from an old VW Jetta Forum that might have one...will keep poking around until one shows up.

This is the first time I've ever stumped eBay looking for an item!

Just bought a hoodguard for our Honda Ridgeline off eBay, you would think the VW's would be there too. Lots of hoodguards for the older VW models tho.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    There are other options besides the hood-guards. Have you considered a clear stick-on film? They are custom-cut to fit your vehicle. They cover the leading-edge of the hood and the headlights too.

It is sorta like xtra-thick scotch-tape. It is nearly invisible. pebbles and stones bounce off of it without damage.

Also - It does not alter the looks nor aerodynamics of your vehicle like a hood-guard does.

You should find retailers by going to 3m.com or expel.com.
  • Options
    The clear film is an option, but I was in a "Tint Shop" a couple of weeks ago and they wanted $300.00 to do a small 3-M rock guard job and mentioned that the Jetta hood should be re-painted first.

(they wanted $700.00 to do the Ridgeline)
  • Options
    homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I drive an '07 Jetta 2.5, my fourth VW, and it's been as good a car as I could have hoped for. Still, I'd like a TDI, mostly because I find the diesel technology fascinating (I owned an old non-turbo diesel in the 80's, but that's another story.) My commute is only 15 miles each way, and I total only 16K miles per year. As such, I don't want to incur some of the big repairs (hi-pressure pump, etc.) because my fuel savings won't offset them. SO, how common are those expensive repairs? If I maintain the engine from new, can I expect 100-150mi. without the big ticket repairs?
  • Options
    There is always the chance for failure... a machine is not a perfect entity.

HOWEVER: I always ALWAYS add diesel-additive when I fill the fueltank. Not only does it increase Cetane... it also contains lubricant for the fuel-pump and injectors.

The additional Cetane boosts MPG by 2-5MPG... this is a fact!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I have owned three diesels from 3 different manufacturers and one thing I was fastidious about was a) changing fuel filters and b) adding cetane enhancer and fuel biocides. I never ever had a fuel problem with any of these cars.
  • Options
    mamx4mamx4 Member Posts: 10
    I drive an 06 Jetta that I bought brand new. It is now May of 2012. 141,000 miles. No major repairs of any sort. Put new brakes on myself. I change the oil every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. I do it myself with one of the oil suckers from Harbor Freight, which is how they did it at the dealership. I change the air filter every time I change the oil cause I live 5 miles off the highway on a gravel road. I had an aluminum trailer built by a kid in Ag Mechanics in Bellevue, TX and pull 2 ATVs to our favorite riding area on a regular basis, as well as hauling lots of generalized crap on the trailer and the car has never missed a beat. 42 MPG most of the time. 35-36 MPG pulling the trailer with ATVs to Cloudcroft, New Mexico from Henrietta, TX. 40 MPG running the AC all the time last summer during the drought here. My wife drives a 2006 TDI Beetle. Less maintenance running up and down country roads than the Jeeps we both used to drive, plus more than twice the MPG. Only major repair on either car was after a lady with no insurance plowed into my wife. These are great cars! Darn near bulletproof. The engine runs like my Deere, and lots quieter.
  • Options
    Just returned from a 5,000 mile 2 country round trip and found my 06 Jetta TDI has a very distinct disliking for some popular brands of diesel fuel.

I have an engine Stutter at 2000 to 2500 rpm when the car goes down hill on cruise and then calls for fuel as the grade starts to climb again. It's a rather violent engine miss and feels like the motor is goling to self destruct for about a second.

However, it only happens on certain brands of fuel. I changed the fuel and air filter less than 10,000 miles ago. As I re-fuel at least once a day on these long drives and use different brands, the effect is sudden and obvious.
    Last fill up was at a "Loaf and Jug" in Great Falls Montana, and the car sailed home 8 hours of driving, without a miss and got the best mpg's of the trip. Go figure!
  • Options
    Well another possibility is you took on minute amounts of H20. However I do know anecdotally that certain brands do better in certain engines. The WHY is unfortunately too opaque.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Great testimonial, to the quality of the VW TDI cars. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    I think you're on the right track with that---small amounts of water are certainly possible in a diesel fillup. Does the TDI have a water trap?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Yes they do. (oem filters, for sure) it is gravity operated in that it is at the bottom of the filter. All it requires is to have access to the "twist" valve to drain the filter, then retighten. I have taken just to changing the filters as all 176,000 miles/50 mpg=3,520 gal have never taken on H2O, nor have I ever had a burp such as described. I have even gotten lazy and have not used additive (emulsifier for those interested) for many tank fills. No wonder my fuel mileage is deteriorating to 50 mpg. ;)
  • Options
    Lucky you--I got water out of my diesel water trap all the time. You know what they say, anecdotal evidence is the worst kind. So I'd say this TDI owner should disregard both of our experiences and check the water trap.
  • Options
    I think anymore this is old advice but the normal advice for a long time was to get your fuel at an active diesel station/pump.

So in effect my anecdotal experiences has been app 425 fills, literally all over the country, but in 15 states and 1 foreign country.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    longo2, the symptom you describe is not necessarily consistent with bad fuel. my 06 jetta did the same thing once at 120k miles. It did not feel like a fuel issue whatsoever to my "SOTP" meter. But could have been fuel issue. Either way, I traded it almost immediately...
    ... Have you inspected the camshaft - are any lobes disintegrating at all? :| PCV/intake clogged?
  • Options
    Still, you and I are, and will always be, a database of one. :P
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I speak neither ex cathedra nor have I ever claimed to represent other than myself !! Now swag/swagging... that is a way different story.

Also I know for a fact there are huge numbers and percentages of folks that can easily snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They are also some of those folks that are DAMN fine at what they chose to do.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I thought I posted my problem on the VW Jetta Forum...my mistake, seems it was the Twilight Zone!
  • Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    edited May 2012
    My 82 Jetta Diesel with 278K still runs giving 48mpg. It's not much of a car in appearance or creature comforts but the engine hasn't been worked on, doesn't smoke, although it uses a little oil and still runs pretty close to what it used to do. I don't drive it much nowadays my main car being a Mazda Pro which has been 100% fault free over 102 K. Anyway, I'm thinking of going back to VW, get a little better mileage. But I hear that Mazda is coming out with a low compression diesel at the end of this year to add to their new SkyActiv line of re-engineered cars. Comments anyone on whether VW by virtue of it's long time involvement in making and selling diesels has a definite edge over new entrants. Also what about this low compression design (Mazda has the highest compression gas engine but the lowest compression Diesel).

My 82 of course has maintenance required (valves, timing) and the mechanics with the tools needed have all long since left the scene, which is another reason I'm thinking of selling it if I can and trading my 2011 Mazda Pro for a higher mileage vehicle, but what are the chances I would get a TDI to run fault free over 100K?
    Thanks for any comments
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    UPSHOT: The first reaction is stay with what you have. You do not say what mpg you get with the Mazda Pro and your mpg expectations with the newer diesels. Without those figures/parameters, it is hard to say if the switch will make any sense, or if you will be happy.It is COMPLETELY unknown how the sky active diesel has done for real world consumers on the US markets.

I think I would only be saying the obvious, but the difference between 30+ MY diesels and the MY 2012/2013 is in some ways SOS/DD, but literally night and day differences.

Lower compression, albeit less than >/ 25 to 1 compression ratios are to remove the "marbles in a can" sounds. Having said that, the 2003 TDI has (as I recall ) 19/1 compression ratio and does not have those "MIAC" sounds. For a decade or more, modern diesels have been designed to run ULSD. Who knows what ppm sulfur diesel fuel the 1982 was designed to run?

The 2003 Jetta TDI is going on 177,000 miles. It has had the normal TSB's. Unscheduled maintenance has been (non diesel related) change of batteries, windshield, two burnt out brake light bulbs, early drivers side low beam burn out and a just recent 176,000 miles passenger side low beam burn out. New tires @ 112,300 miles Schedule maintenance has been TB/WP change at oem recommended interval of 100,000 miles. It has been on a steady 20,000 to 30,000 miles OCI's, aka oil changed out 6 to 8 times. Air filter has been changed out 2 times. It still gets between 48-52 mpg. (aka 50 mpg). Brake pads and rotors and suspension are oem. The 1.9T and it slightly larger 2.0 TDI's are pretty well tested. The 2.0 TDI with AdBlue right now is probably the best of the breed. EPA H of 43 mpg.
  • Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    ruking: thanks for the reply. My Mazda Pro gives me around 28 commuting to work (25 miles one way, about 8 miles of slow going when traffic is heavy). It is in excellent shape at 102K. The 82 Jetta is an occasional car but I wouldn't mind restoring it if I could only find mechanics to work on it . The problems with this car have always been hardware and electrical. Right now the brake lights don't work, it's not the bulbs or the fuse. There's a false oil pressure alarm that comes on intermittently. This has been going on for years. I wish VW had built it to last as long as the engine and transmission. But the car still rides well, it feels comfortable, better than my Pro, although of course it can't match it for handling. Slow as molasses though, I don't mind, if VW would make a simpler diesel without the turbo, just concentrating on the mpg, reliability and longevity I would go for it.
  • Options
    squatlowsquatlow Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem did you ever find the cause or source.
  • Options
    Diesel has been less expensive than regular gasoline for a month now. I hope this means that the rest of my world will also return to normal.
  • Options
    carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I've tried searching this forum for answers to my specific situation, but can't find it. So...I'm hoping for some advice. I commute round trip 120 miles a day back and forth to New York City. Much of the trip is stop and go traffic but not all of it. Is TDI a smart choice?
  • Options
    zambaqzambaq Member Posts: 14
    It might be a smart choice -- depends on your priorities. What are you looking for in a car, and what other vehicles are you considering?

I live in the city, so I prefer to commute via public transportation, but I think my '09 Jetta TDI would make a great commuter car for someone who had to drive to work. The driver's seat is both comfortable and supportive, the interior is well-appointed and nicely finished, the car handles well with minimal road noise, and it's got lots of low-end torque (and of course, a turbo) for passing when needed. All of these attributes should make it a relatively pleasant means of dealing with a typically dreary commute. (Though from what I've read, my enthusiasm might be considerably curbed if I were stuck behind the wheel of a new, "Americanized" Jetta, unless I had to carry extra passengers in the back seat....)

If your first priority is fuel-efficiency, however, and if a good portion of your commute is, as you suggest, truly "stop'n'go", a Prius would likely be a better choice, albeit only if you could adapt to its idiosyncrasies and its decidedly "un-carlike" driving experience. The TDI is an mpg champ on the open road, but it drops back into the pack in city driving. In my area of Queens, where there's a stop sign or traffic light at nearly every intersection, I average only 20 to 25 mpg. The real joy of TDI ownership for me comes during my escapes from NYC, when the car usually gets 40 to 45 mpg, whether on the interstate or on back roads, where it's also quite fun to drive. So even though it wasn't the ideally frugal choice for someone living (and driving) as I do at the moment, I'm glad (so far, at least) that I bought it.

You just have to weigh all the factors relevant to you, and if a TDI (Jetta, Golf, Sportwagen or, soon, Beetle) is still on your short list, then by all means take one out for a good, long test drive!
  • Options
    rremer1rremer1 Member Posts: 7
    I, too, do a lot of stop and go driving, punctuated by longer stretches of highway. I have adopted a style of driving of for the stop and go driving that maximizes my diesel use during. (I guess it's called hyper-miling.) Anyway, since you drive the route every day, you know when you're coming to a light and stops signs (especially stop signs you know others will be waiting at ahead of you). And you coast there. No point in depressing the peddle when you know you have to stop. The TDI coasts beautifully (some regular cars don't; they just practically stop). This has made a huge difference in my mpg. When I do this conscientiously, I can run 500 or more miles on a tank. If I get lazy and drive more aggressively, I'm filling up at 460 miles. The only hybrid I'd be tempted to buy is a diesel/TDI, which, of course, would do even better! PS: I drive a 2010 Sportwagen.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    first consider replace thermostat and take careful measurements of coolant level when engine cold to see if there is measurable coolant loss and look for drips on floor under car after its run hot (put big white paper under there if you can to see exactly what it is leaking if anything). big coolant loss would probably indicate some kind head gasket leaking if not thermostat gasket . or water pump. has water pump been swapped as required at 100k? they can drip a bit when they are about to fail.)
    another possibility is heater-core. (maybe does the smell lessen a bit if you turn the HVAC system *off*? not sure if it would in that case)

but also: there is a spherical coolant resevoir (white plastic i think). inspect it carefully, and all tubes, wires leading into/under it - unplug nearby wiring harnesses - and look for signs of corrosion inside the wiring plugs/harness/conduit. the reason is that resevoir or attachments it can crack and leak coolant *inside electrical wire bundle*, causing major damage.
  • Options
    carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I definitely plan to get the Jetta wagon. Thie big question I need help with is....given my commute, will it pay to get the TDI or should I stick with the gas version?

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    As zambag covered in a previous post, there is more to the driving experience than fuel economy. Consumer Reports found the owners of the 2.5 Jetta Sportwagen among the least satisfied and owners of the TDI Sportwagen among the most satisfied. We've owned 3 TDI's since 2004, and have found the fuel mileage to be an "Oh, by the way" advantage. The only significant disadvantage we have found in the TDI's is the slow warm up in extremely cold weather. Thus, VW equips all TDI's with heated seats and electric heaters.
  • Options
    The premium on the TDI is well worth it. The 2.5L gas engine is really not that great. And somewhat of a gas hog. What ever extra you pay will be returned when you trade or sell the car. I am surprised they even bother bringing in the gas version Sportswagen. They sell 85% as diesel. It is the one to get. Though you may not get a killer deal on one like you would the gas version.
  • Options
    fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    Anyone have the epa figures for the 2.5 vs the TDI?

I wanted TDI, but it wasnt available in'08, I'm very happy with my Jetta though, turbo 4.

However when I took car in for a recall--they found nothing was wrong--I got to drive an '09 TDI (a demo), trip computer read 50 mpg at 70 mph, this car only had 1400 miles on it!

So I think the mileage of the TDI is worth getting vs the 2.5, and it did not seem slow at all with that torque!

Drive a TDI and 2.5 and make your decision.
  • Options
    I don't think you'll get 50 mpg averaged out though. Just about all the longterm tests I read indicate that around 42 mpg would be real-world for most people in mixed city/hwy driving.

This would be it about equal to the latest and greatest high MPG gassers, like the Mazda 3 or the Chevy Cruse Eco, but it would have an advantage in driving qualities that's for sure, and probably better resale value. On the minus side, it's going to cost more to buy.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The system has never been really serious about 50 mpg. Of the 585 models, say this year, how many really do get 50 mpg? I rest the case/case closed.

Let's put it this way: the 03 TDI is rated @ 42/49 mpg. I routinely have gotten 50 mpg (range of 48-52) and it continues for app @ the 170,000 + miles. But the real important part: who the H--- cares? The 03 Jetta sold app 9,000 units. FF to 2012 for both torquier and less mpg diesels, and they are selling the best ever (many more units) and at record profits (for VW). Go figure.

Indeed VW took the hint and increased the available torque and it dwarfs even the Camry Hybrid. It even gets 8.2% better fuel mileage. (39.6 vs 36.6, www.fuelconomy.gov) Safely and (in hind sight) WISELY decreased the mpg (conversationally) to app 40-45 mpg.

I say like the VW products, give the Chevy ECO Cruze and Mazda 3, 5 to 10 years. Both models and name plates have only recently gotten serious about performance and mpg. Both were dogs (mpg wise) before this latest effort. Mazda 3 has been in serious need of refreshment and for a longer time.

So for example, the 03 TDI had a diesel premium of MSRP $236. (if I remember correctly) The resale value is 2,532 dollars more for the TDI.
  • Options
    fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    All I can say is what happened...50mpg at 70mph...thats why I wanted TDI. It was a test drive of a demo.
  • Options
    anecdotal evidence is usually the worst kind of evidence, for obvious reasons, but you're right...it's "true" for you, that one time.

but if you were plunking down $25K for something, you'd probably rely on more than what your neighbor says over the fence, right? You'd check it out.

it's better to be surprised on the + end than the - end I think.

So I believe the 42 mpg # would be "my" number if I bought a TDI and drove it in mixed city/hwy conditions.
  • Options
    To answer your original question. I would expect the TDI to get at least 15 MPG better than the 2.5L gas. And a lot better resale value. Very few Sportswagens are sold with gas engine. Last figures I read 85% are diesel. Looks like the supply is finally catching up with demand, so a good deal should be available.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would say an absolute yes, and an absolute no. YES because I am not responsible for the oem to GET EPA 42/49 mpg ratings, etc and or whatever. I am responsible in driving my anecdotal example for whatever mpg I am getting. Whether YOU (anecdotally) can get EXACTLY what I get, or even EPA ratings or range of ratings can be a very high or low bar and is now totally up to YOU, not me.

I would say no because then in theory you really can't then rely on an real ratings for then you can say no one to only a few can get any rating at any time. This of course is preposterous. So your premise is really a conversational shot gun approach. In effect your underlying assumption is the EPA rating is some sort of guarantee. It never has been and never will be. But then defacto you and most folks know that.
  • Options
    This year with our 2011 Sportswagen TDI we've been getting 30-32 mpg in city driving (my wife commuting to work and shopping), 35-36 mpg in mixed driving (30% highway miles is typical when I use it for work), and 42-45 mpg on 200 mile+ trips with highway speed limits varying from 55 to 70 mph and a little city driving included. (If I drive 45 mph on a flat road the computer will read well over 50 mpg.)

With our '06 Jetta TDI, we've been getting 32-33 mpg, 38-40 mpg, and 44-46 mpg in the above described conditions. (It's fuel mileage has gradually improved every year so far.)

Both are equipped with DSG. Hills, winds, loads, traffic, and road conditions all have an effect on fuel mileage in the real world.

Given these two cars' performance, safety, ride, comfort, price, standard equipment, and reslae value, I can live with the fuel mileage of each. Claims of 50 mpg+ do not impress me, because that is not how, where, or why I drive.
  • Options
    Indeed the Taylor's proved the RANGE of the TDI, can be much greater as they knocked down 84 mpg + on a 2012 Passat TDI. Now I would hate to drive like they do to get it, but I think the point is that almost anyone can come close if they want.
  • Options
    I'm still monitoring friends' TDIs, and none of them have ever recorded 50 mpg. The 2011 Sportwagon is right on the estimate, and is getting 42 mpg overall in mixed suburban/highway driving. Highest they ever recorded was 47 for a long highway stretch at 65 mph on cruise control. The older Golf TDI that reports to me now and then seems about the same, or a bit less than the 2011 wagon.

My brother's Jetta TDI is right around 38-40, but he's up at altitude. He loves his car. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    My range for the mark 5, ( MY 2009) is between 39 and 47 mpg. This was the start of the gen/model (higher torque 236 # ft, lower fuel mileage, epa 29/40) than the mark 4 (155# ft/epa 42/49 mpg), spoken about in MSG #4676.

While it is still capable of 50+ mpg, you have to drop both the revs and speeds to consistently get it. But then again those are some of the prices for: 300# increased, the DSG vs 6 speed M/T (far less RANGE), changing emissions standards and compliance (differing penalites), and 52% more # ft of torque.

The additional thing is that gassers designers have long been put on noticed that the need to optimize their systems (aka drive train) for the 65 mph speed limit (range of course is anywhere from 45 mph to 85 mph). Obviously there is a double wink wink going on here. ;);) One example of the "range" is some pats of the Texas interstate @ 80 mph and soon to be legislated 85 mph. GBT !! The most obvious one most folks care about is mpg. In that sense the small percentage and volume of diesels have long been there. In effect I have taken that for granted from a practical point of view for easily 218,000 diesel miles. Indeed three VW examples are optimized for 81 mph @ 2,200 rpm 6 gear, albeit DSG/ 5/6 speed M/T. Below that (optimization) mph you can really post good numbers as fho2008 did with the 50 mpg @ 70 mph.

I have one gasser that uses a 6 speed M/T to optimize. It has been criticized and draws praise in the same analysis for using a so called "dual gear" over drive type gearing. I am sure there are other examples, but I am not real familiar with the others.

The NHSTA's own accident and fatalities figures confirm that even with higher speed limits, more cars, drivers, mileage, trips, the figures posted are the LOWEST and safest ever since they started recording these things.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    If you compare apples to apples, the EPA revised their standards so while older cars may be rated higher by the old standard, they may not be by the new one (Web site converts all old numbers to the new ones).

With an automatic the 2006 Jettas numbers went from 35/42 to 30/38. Some of the older models are even more efficient, but most still can't beat the best new diesels - Passat 30/43. (Excepton is the 2003 Jetta with a stick that got 35/44 converted, or 42/49 by the old standards)