Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I'm not so sure they do much good these days. Most of them don't stick out very far from the side of the car, and if a much higher-riding vehicle like an SUV or large pickup parks next to you, its door more than likely will hit your car above the molding.

I have a '98 Nissan Frontier without side moldings. By choosing my parking spots carefully, I've been able to get by with only one ding on the driver side and one scratch on the passenger side (that didn't dent).
  • Options
    noobnoob Member Posts: 11
    I have seen some videos showing Toyoda factories in Japan. It says hundreds of robots build and assemble 97% (or more?) of.. a corola(?) if I remember correctly. Robots dont make mistakes. I dont know what percent of a car is built or assembled by robots in the United States, but I'm sure it is certainly less than 97%.
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I was not putting down the American workers who build Japanese cars here in the United States. If my post conveyed that, then I appologize for it. What I was trying to get across was that there is a difference between the Japanese cars built in the U.S. with the same exact Japanese cars which are built in Japan. I have owned a 97 Camry like I said that I did in one of my previous posts and the car was mechanically excellent. I have no complaints about the engine or about the transmission. The engine and tranny were both built in Japan. If they were built here in the U.S., I guarantee you that there would be problems with them. What I am complaining about is about the rest of the car. The body, the interior and the rest of the car besides the engine and transmission are built in the U.S.A.. And these are the particular parts which I was not happy with. The window mouldings were made from cheap materials and the rubber around each of the windows stretched inside the door frame. The interior was made from really cheap materials. It was just not built like a "real" Japanese car should be built.

I don't mean to offend anyone in here by saying these things, but I felt that if Toyota is building the Camry over here in the U.S. that it should have "equal" build quality and "equal" material quality for their cars as they do just like with the ones that they build in Japan. Toyota has a long way to go to prove this to me and to some others whom I know that have owned American built Japanese cars like the Camry.

I ended up selling my Camry in 2000 and purchased something else. And it was not another Toyota. Right now, I am debating whether or not to purchase the new Camry because I like the 2007 styling a lot. I am just afraid that I might have the same quality control problems relating to the fit and finish of the trim and the interior like I did with my previous 97 Camry. If the new 2007 Camry is better built than the 97 that I used to own then I will consider purchasing one. Don't get me wrong. I like Toyota. I would like to see Toyota pay more attention to the small details with the quality issues if they are going to continue building their cars here in the U.S.. That's not a whole lot to ask for.
  • Options
    killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    American made Japanese cars are nothing but junk.

If "junk" is the word of choice for an American built Camry, then how would you describe an American built Taurus or Mexican built Passat? Worse than junk? Is there such a word?
  • Options
    dimon12dimon12 Member Posts: 10
    I have to say that GTGTCobra may have some point that japanese made Camrys are not necessarily the same as american made ones. Even though all the robots, processes and procedures at the main assembly location may be comparable, but what about subcontractor facilities making all the drivetrain components (excluding engine and transmission) and all electronics modules, IPs, interior trim, rubber moldings, etc...? So it all comes down to japanese subcontractors vs american ones and somehow I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to japanese, especially given historical reliability trends.

P.S. 97-01 Camry was notorious for the blatant cost-cutting and decontenting in general and 97-98s have been known to have fit & finish and more serious kinks in particular. Obviously Toyota learned a lesson here, as 07 model is better then 02-06 as much as 02-06 was better then 97-01.
  • Options
    I think we're painting with an overly broad brush here. I had a 1997 Camry, which happened to be built in Japan. It was a great car, very reliable, and I sold it on eBay 2 years ago at 111K miles.

The "decontenting" issue is much ballyhooed, but the '97 earned a Good in the IIHS frontal offset crash test, an improvement over the Acceptable of the prior generation. The '97 had adjustable rear head restraints, unlike the older model. Some decontenting involved trivial issues, like combining the separate parking lamps and turn signal lamps into single assemblies on the later model.

Yes, the Japanese and American built Camrys use different suppliers to a certain extent. However, the larger suppliers like Denso and Bosch are global companies that have operations in the US (both are Toyota suppliers).

Any documentation I have seen about differences between Japanese-built vs. US-built versions of the same car indicate their quality is comparable.

Plus I have Kentucky-built '04 and '05 Camrys and they are of excellent build quality with no problems to date.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just out of curiosity, how much did you get for that '97 Camry?
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Ditto my 97 LE which went 186,000 miles when I needed to do some tranny work on it so I traded it for $2000 'as-is' without fixing the tranny. Other than that it was problem free.
  • Options
    $4301, well over my reserve of $3500. It was a very easy way to sell a car.
  • Options
    virtkingvirtking Member Posts: 25
    It may not be a problem, but I will be hesitant to get Subaru made Camries next year. At least until 2008. Pretty recently introduced Toyota's models (Sienna '04 in 2003 and Avalon in 2005) had their share of initial quality problems that since have been addressed. In relation to Camry, I'm sure Toyota has learned a lot, but I just expect Kentucky plant to have more experience in building and getting bugs ironed out.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    For this reason I wouldn't be surprised if the Subie plant got all or most of the CE/LE models now that the hybrids will also be made in KY.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I'm afraid your anecdotal data doesn't mean a thing. You can't infer quality differences based on a sample size of one. The quality of Toyotas built in the US is almost always rated very high by objective measures (Consumer Reports, JD Power) with very high sample sizes. You are entitled to your opinion but your "facts" are wrong. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy. :)
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    as an owner of an early 05 Avalon, can testify to the fact that Toyota did have some relatively minor probelms at least as far as my car is concerned - one reacll for an improperly welded steering yoke, the other for a small oil leak from a transfer tube from the heads to the oil pan. The steering thing never seemed to be a problem, the oil leak ended up being multiple visits to the dealer because they couldn't really figure out where the leak was coming from. No fit/finish or quality of assembly issues - my car made in Ky. Since the Camry has an established 4 banger, and a V6 that has already been out for more than a year, would imagine the Camry will actually have less 'teething' problems. Would be interested to know from those of you that have purchased the V6 whether you have experienced any transmission 'gear hunting' - a function of Toyota's trans. control programs on many its its cars (incl Lexus)?
  • Options
    canefirecanefire Member Posts: 12
    If your going to pay anywhere near $28,000 plus (which I've read some people have already done so for a V6 XLE or SE), then you must consider an Avalon XL or XLS for $26,000 to $29,000. I purchased a 2005 XLS for $28,000, for my better half, after initially shopping for a Camry - there was a marked difference in 2005.
    After test driving a 2007 Camry XLE V6 last week, I was impressed with all upgrades as compared to previously test driven 2005 Camry V6 - but there still remains a marked difference with Avalon - I cannot possibly see paying more for the 2007 XLE than a 2006 Avalon XLS/XL.
    Instead, I am considering the 2007 Lexus ES350 which will be available in the low $30K right before the 2008's - a new 2005 ES350 can be had for $30,100 right now. To me, if a fully loaded XLE will run about $28, what's a couple thousand more for a XLS or ES350 - if I can afford it.

For the non-toyota believers (US or Japan made)- I believe in action, actual behavior and measureable results especially with high cost auto prices and repairs. Luckily and consistently my family have had only excellent results with toyota -
    1984 toyota pickup -given away after 220K mi, still running
    1992 lexus sc400 - 190K mi - no major problems, still going
    1995 avalon xls - 130K mi - given to son, still going
    2000 camry xle - 86K mi- no prolems - still going
    2002 tundra - 38K mi - no problems - like a rock

:D
  • Options
    mamakitty54mamakitty54 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Accord EX with 125,000 miles. Went out to replace it this weekend (giving car to college graduate daughter). On way to the Honda dealer stopped by Toyota to look at the new Camry XLE. Never got to the Honda dealer. Love the car. More comfortable, quieter and the sound system is GREAT. Tell your wife the center radio area looks REALLY GOOD in the dark. Have her drive both cars before making a decision. For comfort and luxury my money is on the Camry, and I drive over 400 miles per week.
  • Options
    mendota99mendota99 Member Posts: 18
    I bought a 06 RAV4 last week and the car is almost perfect for my needs: plenty of room, adequate gas mileage, reliable, etc. It came with the 17 inch Yokohama Geolandar tires. If the road surface is not perfect the road noise can be quite high.
    Excuse me for thinking out loud but I wonder if the Camry would have been a better choice? In terms of being more quiet.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    According to Car and Driver:

'07 Camry SE 4 cyl, Idle - 37 DBA, Cruising at 70 MPh - 69, Full throttle Accel. - 74.

'06 RAV4 Ltd V6, Idle - 35 DBA, Cruising at 70 MPH - 68, Full Throttle Accel. - 75.

The V6 should be quieter than the 4 cyl in all 3 categories so it is tough to really say. I would guess that the Camry 4 would be quieter than the RAV 4 4 and the same with the V6.

My '07 XLE 4 cyl has no apparent wind noise up to 75 mph. Most of increased noise level seems to come from the tires.
  • Options
    samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    Absolutely!!! I have test driven both the 07 Camry and the 06 Rav and my money is on the Camry definitely. I found the Rav to be quite noisy in the interior. But the Rav rode very well for being a sport utility.
  • Options
    fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    You do realize that the use of the Subie plant is just that...a lease for a manufacturing line space. The equipment will be re-tooled and manned by Toyota workers. It is not like Toyota is having Subaru use their machines and workers to build Toyotas.
  • Options
    the '05 ('06 ?) would be the ES330 - different engine a lot less HP than the '07 Camry V6 or ES350 - didn't know that thE es359 was actually available yet
  • Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    When it comes to differences of 1 decibel at those kinds of sound levels, the difference is not audible to the ear. At all.
  • Options
    When it comes to differences of 1 decibel at those kinds of sound levels, the difference is not audible to the ear. At all.

BS!!!!!

Another uninformed forum visitor who is just plain wrong.

A useful general reference is that the just noticeable difference in sound intensity for the human ear is about 1 decibel.

The jnd is about 1 dB for soft sounds around 30-40 dB at low and midrange freqencies. It may drop to 1/3 to 1/2 a decibel for loud sounds.
  • Options
    It is refreshing to hear your bashfulness. Sound increases logarithmically. At 0 dB you hear nothing. At 1 dB you may hear something because that is our threshold of sound. From 1 to 4 dB, that is a double of sound pressure (a difference of 3 dB either increases or doubles the sound pressure) and a noticeable difference in sound. However, to double the sound volume, you need to increase the sound intensity 10 times, which coincidentally is 10 dB. At a higher sound pressure, it is very doubtful that anyone could notice a difference. Somebody might, but I doubt that if you stuck somebody in a car that was 35 dB and then went and sat in a car that was 36 dB, they would notice a marked difference, or any difference at all.

Let's perform an experiment, shall we? I will stick you in two cars - both of which you don't know the volume of before hand - that has an interior noise volume of 35 dB and another that is 36 dB. Afterwards, you have to tell me which car had a louder interior.

Moral of the story is, do not stress over volumes that differ by 1 dB. You won't notice the difference.
  • Options
    torn8otorn8o Member Posts: 31
    I changed my mind and went with the SE. Just bought a black one with dual pwer/heated seats, automatic dimming rearview mirror with compass, spoiler, moonroof, JBL stereo, floormats.. I may be missing something but that is most of the options. Sticker price was 29,279. I paid 26,500.. supposedly this was $300 over invoice, hopefully that is right. :confuse: (I had done my homework on the LE invoice values but didn't as much on the SE). It wasn't easy to get them down either. Initially, only two dealers responded to my mass e-mailing and agreed to the 300 over invoice on the LE.. but I didn't make it out to the dealers until two weeks later and by then they were trying to go 800-1000 over invoice instead. I got one of them down to 300 over.

I love the car!
  • Options
    As stated here Toyota will provide manufacturing equipment, parts and materials for the car and training in Camry processes for ~1000 new workers.
  • Options
    blindmantooblindmantoo Member Posts: 139
    A few questions... I have a black V6SE w/charcoal leather & nav ordered. What color is your interior? How does the black look w/ the SE grill - Can you post a pic of the front? We ordered ours in mid March and it could be another 4-6 weeks.
  • Options
    bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    At nearly 30K I'm assuming that's a V6, correct? What part of the country did you purchase?
  • Options
    larouselarouse Member Posts: 28
    Considering a 2007 Camry XLE. Have not driven it yet, but would like to know from someone the differences bet. the SE and the XLE, particularly regarding comfort and ride. Never owned a Toyota, and right now we have two Honda Accords. One, a quasi museum piece 1986, and the baby a 1993. Very happy with both, but the 86 is having some transmission problem. Thinking of Camry for the more comfortable ride. Any input? Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm not stressing, just giving the facts instead of guesses, suppositions and opinions.
  • Options
    blindmantoo... i have charcoal leather as well, would have prefered cloth. The black looks fine with the SE grille. i wasn't a huge fan of the SE grille to begin with, so i think the black color of the exterior makes the grille look even more inconspicuous, which for me is a good thing. :)

bigd58... my msrp was for a V6 SE, correct. in Missouri.
  • Options
    I never told you to not stress. I was simply telling actual car-buyers that 1 dB is nothing to cancel an order due to a more noisy interior, or whatever it be... 5 horsepower... 2 lb-ft of T... .2 seconds faster acceleration... you get the idea. Noticeable? Arguably yes and no. Meaningful?.......
  • Options
    bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info. You are the proud owner of virtually the exact type of Camry I hope to purchase this summer! Please update on your driving impressions from time to time, thanks again.
  • Options
    sraybellsraybell Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2007 Camry XLE last week, and I must say, it was quite the upgrade from my 2004 Camry LE. I'm really enjoying it. Neither me nor my wife really like leather, so we opted for cloth. The suspension is AWESOME. The ride is quite smooth compared to my other vehicle, and I find the seats a tad more comfortable. Going to be great on those long trips across the state!
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I prefer the SE Camry, but I don't like the blacked out grill. So if I decide to buy a Camry it's probably going to be the LE model.

I still hope that Toyota puts more effort in the quality of the fit and finish on these cars. I am hoping that the one that I purchase if I do get one will be a Japanese made LE model with the 5 speed manual.
  • Options
    mamakitty54mamakitty54 Member Posts: 3
    Just went from a 2000 Accord to 2007 Camry XLE. Was planning on another Accord but decided to drive the Camry first. No comparison in ride quality. It really depends on whether you like to feel like you are in a car or a living room. For some feeling the road is preferable. For me, with a long commute, the living room with great surround sound won out. Will say the visibility is not as good in the Camry. Only had the car a few days, but so far I love it. Expect the same reliability from the Camry I have had with the Accord (130,000 miles and no unscheduled maintenance).
  • Options
    petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    Seems like several of us are thinking the same thing. Black SE V6 with Charcoal leather.....NICE!
    Black SEs should minimize 'the grille' :-)
  • Options
    lonewolf1187lonewolf1187 Member Posts: 10
    how much did u pay driveout? what options did you put on there? you know toyota is notorious for its options
  • Options
    delphdelph Member Posts: 2
    It seems the inventory is so limited and I'm having a tough time negotiating a good price. The local dealer's current price is $18,699 for a 2007 manual with floormats and a keyless entry. Invoice for this car is $17,400, so I think a fair deal is $18k, but they won't budge. I can get an auto LE for just $300 more, even though I really want the 5 speed. It just feels sportier to me. Is it just basic supply and demand right now?
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    I wouldn't put much credence in the comparative db or noise figures published by Car and Driver. Some years ago they had an article on their testing methods and they confessed that they often test the noise level of different cars over different road surfaces, so you really can't accurately compare figures on two or more cars. It may simply reflect tests on different roads, since some road surfaces are noisier than others. Their noise figures may give a rough estimate of how quiet a car is, but I wouldn't put much stock into comparative figures, especially when differences are of a magnitude of 1db or so.
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    The Lexus ES350, a Camry clone all dressed up, will debut April 22.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You will have severe regrets at resale time if you buy a Camry stick shift for only $300 less than a same year automatic.
    You will have to sell it for much more than $300 less than an automatic to get rid of it.
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply. We will go test drive one this week-end. Is yours a V6? That is another consideraton, V4 vs. V6. Think we would like the added power, but have to consider mileage and with the price of gas... Hope you continue to be happy with yours.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. Good to hear you are happy with your new Camry. Yes, the Camry ride is comfortable, very different from the Accord. We take long trips to FL. and that is a consideration on long trips. Is yours a V6?
  • Options
    as the Es has always been - a dressed up clone with a premium label. As Lexus endeavors to clear lots of the current ES, would imagine there may be some very unLexus like discounts available - possibily cheaper than the full boat Camry XLE and certainly less than a similarily optioned Avalon. Not a bad deal if you don't mind giving up the 50hp or so.
  • Options
    I can't stop grinning. I love this car. I got NAV/XM/VSC/Rem. Start/Leather and Power Seats/Moonroof, etc..

• Options
    blindmantooblindmantoo Member Posts: 139
    Almost the same set of options we have ordered (no remote start). No one has any SE's w/ NAV around here - good to see that mine won't be one of the first installations on the SE line! Give us an update after you get a few miles on it.
  • Options
    Sweet, looks nice in the dark blue. I have yet to see a SE in any color other than black on the local lots.
  • Options
    buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    Anyone cross shopping these or test drive both for compare?
    Test drove TL and thought it certainly was firmer than I am used to.

Any input?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I did just that. I was buying a TL until I saw the new SE. Now I have an SE in my garage! Similar driving experience, larger interior for less money.
  • Options
    To my surprise I just saw two ES350s on the road. Both with regular license plates. One was driving in the opposite direction, but the other was crossing the intersection in front of me stopped at the red light.