Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey 2005+

Comments

• Options
    akuo1akuo1 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an 07 EX-L w/ Navi/DVD. I really like the PAX tires in the Touring. But we want the 8-seater and only EX-L has 8 seats. I'm considering going to a performance tire shop to install run-flat. Are there any concerns? My dealer told me the reason Touring has only 7 seats is that the run-flat can take less weight than the regular. Any advice is welcome.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Your dealer is dumb. The Touring has the same gross weight rating as the non-touring. The Touring does have a tad higher curb weight, but nothing substantial. I have other theories on why Honda doesn't offer the 8th seat in the Touring, but that's neither here nor there. They don't offer it, I was PO'd about it, but bought the EX-L R&N anyway. PAX was probably my least favorite feature of the Touring anyway so I didn't miss that a bit. Auto headlamps, memory seats, and power tail-gate is another story.....

I know nothing about aftermarket run-flats. Keep in mind one other difference on the Touring is a slightly different suspension setup due to the weight of the run-flat tires (30# more on each corner). So the handling may be compromised a bit by adding run-flats to an EX-L.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    My only advice is to stay clear of conventional run-flats.
  • Options
    tnqgzstnqgzs Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased an 07 EXL-RES today. My wife had a few oddball questions that I can't answer, and I'm looking for some feedback:
    1) Does anyone else miss the compass feature that is found in many other mid-line vans (and the Touring)?
    2) Does the driver's seat "break in" after a few weeks (she had a backache driving 1.5 hours home today)
    3) Isn't it more convenient to have the steering-wheel adjustment on the left side of the column?
    4) Does the large, low "glovebox" squeeze front-passenger legroom to the point of discomfort for anyone else?
  • Options
    1) You can easily (and cheaply) remedy this with an aftermarket unit.

2) I've never know any seat to "break in" (except, that is, until one breaks down after years of use). Seat comfort is a highly individual thing. For me, the Odyssey seat is not the best in soothing comfort but, damn, I can drive 10 hours and not feel at all sore or physically fatigued.

3) Perhaps, but Honda doesn't engineer 'em that way.

4) This is pet peeve of mine about virtually all vehicles. The last generation Odyssey had poor leg room on the passenger side too. It sure would help if there was a power passenger seat offered.
  • Options
    cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    It sounds like you may have purchased the wrong mini-van my friend. Maybe you should have taken it for longer test drives to better understand what you were buying. Many dealerships today, at least those I have dealt with, have let me take cars, etc. over night to determine if I "really" like and want to buy the vehicle. Typically, it's great for the dealer as most who have it for an extended period of time will end up purchasing the vehicle.

My 06 Touring with RES/NAV is very comfortable. With the power adjustable seats, it's not hard to find a position that is very comfortable and I drive it 3+ hours at a pop. I have not noticed the glove box to "squeeze" any legroom and you may wish to adjust your front seat back to more than accomodate a pair of long legs.

Best of luck with your new van. It's an awesome van with many advantages over its competition. Maybe once you get all of the settings where you like them, it will be more enjoyable to you both.
  • Options
    stuman168stuman168 Member Posts: 27
    congrats on the purchase. it's a nice car! and you'll enjoy it.
    1 Compass, unless you used it a lot in the pass, I don't think I notice even if it's there. If I need direction, I would just use the NAV
    2 This one I am not sure sometimes you may want to adjust the driving position better. use the telescoping/tilt feature also to get optimal driving position. I am not sure about the availability of lumbar suport
    3 steering wheel adjustment location is just depend on where most people used to on their previous car. It hasn't bother me. Although I wish the touring version will have the power tilt/telescoping
    4 yeah the knee room seems abit tight for front passenger
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    #1 I had the dealer install the auto dimming mirror as bright lights have always bothered my eyes. It comes with a compass.

#2 I have always had back problems and I find the seat comfortable. It took several adjustments before I found the perfect combination.

#3 This is my first non GM vehicle and I don't care for the steering wheel adjustment, but it is the least of the minor irritants.

Finally, I miss the ignition on the dashboard, the auto doorlocks, and the auto headlights. However this Ody is head and shoulders over the 07 Buick terrazza that I test drove and the Honda salesman was too.
  • Options
    skyhawk - what model Ody do you have? My Ody has auto doorlocks and auto headlights.

I hear you about the Buick. This is why GM is getting out of the minivan business and will focus only on cars and trucks. When ever I see anyone driving a GM mini-van I always ask myself the question...WHY :confuse:
  • Options
    When a heavy hitter like GM abandons a major product segment, either the segment or the manufacturer is dying.

And it's not the former as regards minivans.

But we digress - there are other threads that address that topic.
  • Options
    I had problems adjusting the seat at first as well. It was comfy for normal driving, but long trips gave me issues. It was just a matter of finding more comfy position with the power seats. I've done 6 hours now with no issues. But seat comfort is very subjective.
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I have a 2006 EX-L that I purchased last September. Honda sponsored the Ladies US Open golf tournament in Newport RI. Each RI dealer was required to provide several courtesy cars for the ladies. This had 1000 miles on it and I bought it for 26.6 with the auto dimming mirror installed.
  • Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Read the thread in this forum on PAX tires. Do your research before changing the tire set up. A local radio program's mechanic says that run flat tires are not there yet. IMHO don't go there.
  • Options
    tnqgzstnqgzs Member Posts: 7
    Thank you all for your replies. It borders on blasphemy to even hint that one could buy the wrong van with an Odyssey . I'm 6'7" tall, and used to be a Toyota driver until the designers chose to add all the knee-knocking wraparounds into every model. I guess the surfer dudes at Calty are all "average" height. Our first minivan was a '96 T&C which worked well, but was a Chrysler - I needed to take my shoes off to count the recalls. We traded it at 80,000 miles for a new T&C in 2001; that van now has 99k and is not even worth $5,000. It makes me really nervous to run a vehicle from "the big three" over 100k miles.

On the other hand, I bought a 93 Accord with 155k miles for my daughter to try to destroy; she failed, and sold it for $1500 with 240k on the clock. My son drives a 95 Legend that has somewhere over 200k on the clock - just hitting its stride! No, no mistake here - the whole family was in the van Saturday night watching a movie and playing with the electronics. The only reason that this van won't be around for the next 10 years will be that we trade it in on the next-generation Touring model before then...
  • Options
    chipo2chipo2 Member Posts: 4
    Out to buy new Ody 07, is there any issue on tranny and droning noise on 07 model?
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    The tranny is new for the '07 - it shares the same 4-shaft design as the Pilot & Ridgeline. Haven't heard any complaints yet, although it may be too early. Let's hope Honda has finally learned its lesson with the Class Action lawsuit awarded to '99-'03 V6 equipped cars.

I test drove a new '07 & didn't hear the droning defect. Although my '06 EXL developed the noise after a few hundred miles. Buyer beware on that issue because Honda doesn't know how to fix the problem...there is a TSB-050 that attempts to reduce the defect but not 100%.

Based on my experience with our '06 EXL, I would look at a Sienna if you are interested in reliability. They tend to be a little more pricey but have a few extra bells & whistles.
  • Options
    rhuwerhuwe Member Posts: 1
    I have a '07 EX-L RES, which I bought in November. I can hear a lot of outside noise when driving. Its almost as if a window or door isn't completely shut (they all are though). I'm not sure if this is a normal characteristic for Odysseys, or if its some sort of defect. Have others encountered this?
  • Options
    Minivans have more roadnoise than sedans. Odysseys allow more roadnoise than other minivans, especially on concrete roads. The current generation ('05 and newer) is better in this regard than the last ('99 to '04).

It's rarely an issue for me as I tend have the sound system cranked up.
  • Options
    I have an 06 Touring with NAV & RES and I must say that it's relatively quiet. Many times my family will take the Ody places with out listening to the radio at all. Kids may be watching a DVD and my wife and I finally get a chance to talk. Maybe a bad door or window seal but I am not experiencing the road noise problem and have very good hearing :)
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Our '06 EX-L/NAV/RES has a lot of road noise. It's funny, I think our old '00 Odyssey has about the same road noise. I drive them both regularly and prefer the '00 over the '06.

Have the dealer check for bad seals. My service manager told me a lot of people complain about the road noise in their 05+'s.

Lastly, I drove a '07 Hyundai Santa Fe and is it whisper quiet on the highway & soaks the bounces wondefully. If Hyundai only held their value like Honda I would consider buying one.
  • Options
    dominickc1dominickc1 Member Posts: 22
    Don't buy a Honda Ody Touring it cost you big bucks to replace the Tires and plus it is real bad for winter driving. I'm serious thinking of getting a Toyota Van with AWD on it. :mad:
  • Options
    bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    That sounds like more of a problem with tires and driving habits than a fault in the vehicle. Front wheel drive vehicles will generally do just as well as an AWD, however you will be able to get going faster with an AWD. AWD drives don't stop any quicker however.

It sure sounds like the new run flat tires have a lot of bugs with them. Glad mine doesn't have them...
  • Options
    LOL, if you don't think much of PAX, you'll absolutely love the run-flats that Toyota puts on the AWD Sienna.
  • Options
    The Michelin PAX are FAR superior to the run flats on the Sienna AWD. Will they be more expensive to replace than a conventional tire...I'm sure they will but it gives my wife, the primary driver, and myself great peace of mind while she's shuttling the kids around town. Toyota has already had a recall on their tires..I know because I had an 05 Toyo Limited AWD and had it done right before I sold it to get the 06 Ody Touring.

dominickc1 - The Toyo's do have "bugs"...the Michelins on the Ody Touring do not. The problem was fixed by Bridgestone for the 06 and 07s but all 05 owners got a letter that they will replace them if you experience problems. The problem was that they got flat spots and when turning at low speed, it felt like you were turning a vehicle that left the 4WD on while driving on dry pavement. My Ody appears to be handling just fine in both good and bad weather. Don't know who told you the PAX are bad...maybe your Toyo dealer :shades:
  • Options
    Found this link on Edmunds which reviews the Ody and has some GREAT things to say about the PAX system for what ever it's worth:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=104757

:D
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    And, if you haven't found it yet, there's this lengthy discussion with lots of owner opinions about runflats:

Run-flat, Self-Sealing PAX Tires for Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    akuo1akuo1 Member Posts: 5
    A related question. How about getting a full-size spare for the EX-L? Will it fit into the same spare tire compartment?
  • Options
    jerry5505jerry5505 Member Posts: 13
    According to Click & Clack the run Flat Tires cost $275.00 per tire and $100.00 to install. They said regular tires do no fit the rims for Run Flat Tires and the sides at built thicker. They also said if you want the regular tires installed you would have to buy all 4 rims. Has anyone had a problem them theirs??
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Quite a few members have talked about this in the Run-Flat, Self Sealing, PAX Tires for Minivans discussion. Click the link to see what they've said.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    pmicklepmickle Member Posts: 20
    I have owned a Honda Odyssey for over ten months now, and have become very familiar with the security system. There is a fifteen second delay between the time you lock the vehicle with the remote and the time that the system arms. Once the system arms, you cannot open any of the doors with out un arming the system. That includes pulling up any one of the four door locks on the inside, or hitting either one of the two unlock buttons on the front doors. You also cannot start the vehicle without triggering the alarm. I have tried this six times with each switch, so the thieves must have broken in fifteen seconds after you left the car. Now when you were at the dealer, after you lock the car, you should have waited for the system to arm. Besides using a stop watch, you can watch the light in the instrument panel. Once the system arms, the orange light blinks at a noticeably slower interval than it was during the first fifteen seconds. I leave my headlights on all of the time, and it takes fifteen seconds for the headlights to go off after you lock it, so if you leave them on, it is a really easy way to know when the system activates.
  • Options
    allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    and it will either be the Honda Odyessy or the Chevy Tahoe. At the moment I have a big SUV but am having more issues than ever, I think their is a transmission problem. Anyway I live her in Calif and we go to Lake Tahoe many many times and we go where the elevation goes to 8,000ft. Now I am in a quandry whether to buy a vehicle with AWD or just do chains on a van.I will not do the Sienna because of uncomfy seats. It seems like a lot of people on these forums live on the East Coast where I know it snows a lot so I wonder how that goes without AWD or 4-wheel drive. I never thought I would even consider buying another American car but... How do people find the seats in the Odyessy, comfy? Have had shoulder and back issues so want to make sure.THanks
  • Options
    oddyseydriveroddyseydriver Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced what I call a rumble/vibration etc for the last year in my 2002 Oddysey. I have had it in the shop several times, put all new tires on, had them balanced numerous times and still can't get rid of this rumble. It is strong enough that I can see the headrests of the center seats vibrate. It seems to be most noticeable between 58-65 MPH. It is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any help???
  • Options
    I came out of an '02 Tahoe and into the Odyssey. It took me quite awhile to find a comfy seating position for long trips, but I eventually found it. I have neck/back issues and found the Tahoe seats much easier to get along with, but the Ody seats are also fine as long as they're in that one exact spot.

The big advantage for us with the Ody is the sliding doors make getting the grandkids (in carseats) in/out, access to the 3rd row is much better, and there's a lot more storage with the 3rd row up. The Tahoe had very little cargo space with the 3rd row in use. I'd buy a Suburban before another Tahoe, that's a much more fair comparison.

Keep in mind the average Tahoe comes with highway tires which are not that terrific at getting around in the snow anyway. A good set of snow tires on a FWD will get around just as well until the snow gets real deep. If you're driving on stretches that either requires 4x4 or chains, then I'd say go with the 4x4. Chains are a pain to mess with in my book. I guess it really comes down to how often you go to Tahoe and get into the nasty snow.
  • Options
    chipo2chipo2 Member Posts: 4
    Through this forum it helps me with my decision making on buying the car. I just got my Ody 07 last week and drove it to SF and we really liked it. The sit is very comfy ( in my opinion)compared it to my 99 Ody. It drives like a Sedan, and I would say it's better handling than our Pilot. I suggest you test drive it more (Tahoe and Ody) and take it to like a rough road, up hill, down hill etc... I've been drivingg honda all my life and have been buying it on the same dealer, so i can test drive their car as much as I want to by myself (alone). I hope this helps. Goodluck!!!
  • Options
    allison5, I'm not trying to sound cross but you have posted questions off and on for about a year as I recall. Suggest the best thing for you to do is spend some seat time in one. Seat comfort is totally individual. Apparently you did so with the Sienna and learned much.

If I was in your situation, there's no way that I wouldn't have 4wd.
  • Options
    allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    I agree that I have posted for quite some time off and on about this subject and I do realize that this is a very individual thing with the seats but I am just always interested in hearing about what people think of different vechicles, seats, problems etc. Several years ago I bought a car and it was a HUGH mistake and it makes me nervous as I do not want to do that again. :(

The reason that we have not bought another car yet is that we went through several months that we did not think we could afford it but now it is on again with the SUV problems that are mounting up.
  • Options
    4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    I'm puzzled about the operation of the interior lights. When I set the switch to the middle position, not OFF position and not ON position, I believe it's called door activated, the front lights stay on for about 30 sec. and then fade out. The back lights stayed on indefinitely, at least many minutes before I swithed them to OFF. Is this how this is suppose to work? I would expect all of the interior lights to fade out after about 30 sec. when opening a door. I think I might have a problem. Anybody want to go check their Ody?
  • Options
    I assume you closed the door? They should go off in about a minute after the last door is closed (or 30 minutes if you leave the door open). If that's not happening, make sure the lights are not turned on individually. The only way to turn them off from that is to hit the dash "off" button or individually press each light.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Leave the switch in the middle (door) position.

Any lights that DON'T go off on their own have been manually turned "on" by that seat occupant (or, in our case, a certain 5 year old who likes turning the lights on).

For those lights that stayed on after the front lights dimmed, simply press the light lens; that will turn that light "off" and it will then operate in conjunction with the front lights (activated by opening a door).
  • Options
    4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    Thanks to both replies to my question. The Ody is brand new, just picked it up friday so I didn't consider the possibility that the dealership personnel might have been in the back turning on the lights in checking out the vehicle. I'll try individually turning off each light and seeing if that's all it is. It sounds logical. Thanks again for the help.
  • Options
    fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Noise from sliding door when closes, left side

Hi, I have the '07 Ody EX-L w/ power sliding door and the past few days it has been making noise when it closes. Has any one run into this problem? If so, did you lube it and where? Thanks.
  • Options
    kangalkangal Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I have '05 Odyssey and today after work the interior lights (not over head lights) blink/flashes constantly. The speedometer did not show my current speed. It showed 0 speed as if I not moving. Hope someone can help.

Many thanks,
    Kangal
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,654
    sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. Nver heard of this happening on an Odyssey, but if I had to guess, it sounds like a bad guage cluster?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    nabbernabber Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

We are buying a 2007 Honda Odyssey and got a great price quoted using Honda's online dealer locator service. Everything seems okay with the deal (the price is about 1K under invoice and doesn't seem too unreasonable). I called yesterday to verify the price again and was assured there were not going to be any "surprises".
    Anyway, the dealer called today and asked if I was worried about the mileage on the car when we picked it up. He says it should have less than 150 miles on it and the reason is because he has to drive it over from another location. He said the new car warranty would extend the extra 150 miles (36,0000 plus the mileage when we picked it up). I am also worried the driver might abuse the car on the trip. Does this should right? Should we worry? What is the maximum mileage for a car to be considered new?

We actually have to drive to the Bay Area (about 3-1/2 hours) to pick up the vehicle. And this is a rather expensive purchase. Our next option is about $600 more.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I am also worried the driver might abuse the car on the trip. Does this should right? Should we worry?

Typically dealers used retired people to do swaps - I wouldn't worry. IMHO, 150 miles isn't going to kill it.

What is the maximum mileage for a car to be considered new?

Most states don't have a legal determination on "new" based on miles. Usually a vehicle that is untitled is considered new no matter the mileage.

Our next option is about $600 more.

Is the 150 miles worth $600 to you?

Good Luck.
  • Options
    Mine was brought in from 200+ miles. Technically, a vehicle is new as long as it's never been titled so mileage doesn't play into that (legally). I believe Honda allows up to 3,000 miles for the warranty (they will allow the warranty to start at 3,000 miles max). This allows dealers to have "demo" vans that are used just for test drives and still sell them as "new" with a full 36k warranty.

I'm impressed that they actually called to verify with you, most wouldn't have thought twice about it. It's doubtful the drivers would abuse the cars, they're usually retired folks that run vehicles between dealerships but that's not a rule. I'm sure they could stick an 18yo kid in it just as easy, but it's pretty tough to tear up a car in 150 miles without having serious visible wear. You could always have a flat-bed haul it between dealers, but be prepared to pay for the cost as a dealer typically wouldn't eat that. I wouldn't sweet it myself.

Is a 3.5 hour drive (is that rt or one way?) worth $600 in savings? I guess everyone values their time differently but $600 isn't much in the scheme of things. Nevermind the gas cost, driving two vehicles back, etc. But if you just like a road trip.....why not?
  • Options
    Actually, the next best deal is also in the Bay Area... Fortunately we have family up there, but it would be a 3-1/2 hour drive each way. And the return trip would be with 2 cars. I can't seem to get any local dealer to give me anything close to that deal.
    Thanks everyone so far! It seems that at least I should not worry about the mileage being some sort of scam or problem so that is a relief. But I am still interesting in hearing other suggestions or opinions so if anyone else has a thought that would be great! Thanks!!
  • Options
    If you do go for it, you might consider renting a car for the drive up. I bought a truck from a private seller once several hours away (sight unseen, yee haw...) and enterprise charged me around $50 for a one-day one-way rental. Cheaper than putting the miles on my car for the return trip. Everybody can enjoy the trip back together in the Odyssey.
  • Options
    I guess there is the emotional value of buying a "new" car vs. one with miles on it. And not knowing for sure if this was a test vehicle. My friend suggests we ask for another $100 off, but I think we are already getting a stellar deal. So... What do people think would be a great deal? We are paying less than TMV out the door!
  • Options
    janekfrjanekfr Member Posts: 1
    I would go for it because you're getting a great price and the 150 miles is normally not an issue. I am saying "normally" because obviously things can be done to a car in the first 150 miles which are not beneficial. A brand new car is subject to the break-in period, and there are better and worse ways of doing it. Whatever your personal philosophy might be about break-ins, it will be unknown to you as to what actually happened within those 150 miles. In my opinion, the wrong things to do in those initial miles are; allowing the car to idle for long periods of time, droning on a freeway at a constant speed, full-throttling the engine, laboring uphill, breaking hard, and excessively babying the engine by not allowing it to rev up to about half the RPM range once in a while. Though not mentioned in Odyssey's owner's manual, it is usually advisable that after the initial 600 miles the car be driven aggressively for the following 400 miles or so, but this is seldom indicated nowadays by manufacturers for obvious legal reasons. You still have 850 miles to practice what you believe might be the best way to break-in the car, and it is simply unlikely that someone would manage to do damage to the vehicle in the first 150 miles. A lot of new owners do a rather poor job themselves, often taking their new car for a 'road trip' that mostly involves a constant-speed freeway duty, or spending a significant amount of time in stop and go traffic. Once again, just go for it, the odds are in your favor.