Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic GX

aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
edited September 2014 in Honda
CNG seems a ‘no-brainer.’ So why is there so limited a selection of autos? If the Civic has side head air bags, I’d get one today. It appears none of the CNG vehicles on the market has side head air bags.

Comments

• Options
    There seems to be a good number of CNG fueling stations (especially in Southern California), CNG is significantly cheaper than gas and diesel fuel (more miles per US dollar), produces nearly no harmful fumes or pollutants, 92% of natural gas is domestically produced (6% from Canada), is safer than gasoline (less able to catch fire in an accident), there appears to be a very large domestic supply of natural gas for a minimum of 60 years, is possible to refuel at home (soon the Civic GX will have that capability), and the price of natural gas is more stable than gasoline.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    demand creates market. Since GX's have not been selling well, Honda has not been producing alot of them. If people start buying them, Honda will make more.

I have to disagree about the safety in collision of a CNG powered vehicle. Yes, the fuel tank is more robust, but if it broke in collision, natural gas is more readily combustible than gasoline.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    If you're looking for Civic GX, Honda recently announced retail sales of the model...

Retail sales of Civic GX and Phill(TM) home refueling system to begin in Spring 2005
  • Options
    Read that natural gas only combusts if it has between a 4 and 14% concentration with air.

It was the Phill that initially got me interested in CNG cars.
  • Options
    I am not sure of the current GX, but the previous generation was capable of running on both natural gas and gasoline with a flick of a switch. So, lack of refueling stations was not of a concern as one would fill up with gasoline when CNG ran out, until one reached a CNG station.

Although, CNG is not really a renewable source, I am pretty sure that CNG Civic can run on Methane as well, which can be produced from waste. Just like Ethanol, Methane is a biologically renewable source of energy, and are by products of basterial digestion.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Not Honda anyway. These were designed for fleet usage and they have been flops for the most part.

Who knows, maybe something will change?
  • Options
    The 1996-2000 Honda Civic had a GX. I have seen them offered for public sale at some dealerships.

Now if Honda started offering Diesels in the US, they would have me as a customer. And I don't want an Izuzu diesel, like they have in Europe. It would be nice to have a Honda developed diesel, then I can run it on used frying oil. http://www.greasecar.com/ The only side effect is that people behind me get an unexplained carving for french (freedom) fries. :-)
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I know what you mean, they did build a few of these. Our store never sold any.

Who knows what the future may bring?
  • Options
    john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    If you are going to store a flammable compressed gas, the most logical step would be the route of BMW and go directly for hydrogen powered vehicles (zero greenhouse emissions and circumvent the fuel cell). There was a big movement in the 1990's to convert house power from electric to natural gas for cost savings. Ten to twenty years later, the cost differential between natural gas and electric has dropped considerably to power a hot water heater. The same price-stucture phenomenon would occur if natural gas cars came to market. The progression of vehicles shoul go:
    1. smaller displacement engines with less vehicle weight
    2. gas-electric hybrid vehicles (2007)
    3. gas-diesel or diesel-like hybrid vehicles (2009)
  • Options
    2. gas-electric hybrid vehicles (2007)
    3. gas-diesel or diesel-like hybrid vehicles (2009)

Problem with hydrogen program is that you need new infrastructure for refueling, while Honda's GX home buy program includes an adaptor for refueling at home. Problem, as you mentioned with NG is that the resources are limited. Hydrogen in the current state of technology is very expensive to produce. Some of the fuel cell technology allows for "on-site" hydrogen production from less volatile alcohols, and petroleum products.

The gas-electric hybrids are not as fuel efficient as people think they are. Yes, on the surface they are producing 50+ MPG, but that is what is visible to the consumer, the production and actual battery charging stages are still consuming energy in vast amounts.

Diesel has one advantage at this point, it can be run on renewable vegetable oil, even used vegetable oil. It will not only relieve the waste constraints on the current food industry, but will also benefit the farmers.
    http://www.greasecar.com/
    Too bad that these efforts are not supported by the current or future US govenment.
  • Options
    electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    "actual battery charging stages are still consuming energy in vast amounts"

There's no such thing in hybrids. The battery is charged by the gasoline in your tank... which is computed into the 50 MPG figure.

Troy
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    quote electrictroy-"The battery is charged by the gasoline in your tank... which is computed into the 50 MPG figure."-end quote

ACTUALLY, battery in Hybrids is also charged by braking regeneration. So a small portion of the charging costs NO fuel. Don't forget that...
  • Options
    And THAT comes from the *gasoline* speeding up the car to 60... so you can use your brakes and try to recycle it.

ALL the energy ultimately comes from the tank. If the car is brand-new but the tank is empty, you ain't going nowhere.
  • Options
    You are having a problem understanding how the brake regen process works I think......

ALL the energy does NOT come from fuel. Only when the FUEL is being used to charge the battery.

Look at it this way: if there was NO REGEN energy captured during braking, would the car use more fuel, or would it use less fuel?

(hint: The answer is more fuel.)
  • Options
    But if you don’t use regenerative braking, the energy isn’t going back to the gasoline tank.

This goes back to our discussion on creation versus transformation of energy.
  • Options
    The battery is charged by slowing down the vehicle with the generator.

Agreed.

But what was used to speed up the car in the first place? The fuel. If there was no fuel, there'd be no braking. So ultimately *all* of the battery's energy comes directly or indirectly from gasoline.

PE (i) + KE (i) = PE (f) + KE (f) - energy loss
    gasoline + 0 mph = battery + 0 mph - resistance

As you can see from this simple physics equation, the energy moves from the gasoline to the battery. If gasoline = 0, then battery *must* also equal 0.

"actual battery charging stages are still consuming energy in vast amounts"

There's no such thing in hybrids. The battery is charged by the gasoline in your tank... which is computed into the 50 MPG figure.

Troy
  • Options
    And fuel isn’t creating energy either! Remember, here the idea is transformation of energy, not creation of it. Regenerative braking is transforming energy into something useful as opposed to dissipating the same as heat (released into the atmosphere).

I’m still not sure why you would make a point against recycling energy towards productive use.
  • Options
    quote robertsmx-"Regenerative braking is transforming energy into something useful as opposed to dissipating the same as heat (released into the atmosphere)."-end quote

Very good succinct statement. Rather than wasting the energy lost by braking, the Hybrids capture that energy and re-use it.

It breaks down to this: a car without regen braking and EVERY SINGLE other component EXACTLY the same as another car WITH regen braking, the regen braking car will get higher MPG.

Thus the regen is a good, green, gas-saving feature.

I, too, am confused about someone trying to disrespect the regen braking system - what is the ultimate goal of that argument?
  • Options
    twosctrjnstwosctrjns Member Posts: 13
    You need to review the options available on the Civic GX. It does have side airbags available along with the antilock breaks. I believe it is called the safety package. I have a 2004 Civic GX and it is a great little car. While it does not have the pickup of my previous car it does get me to and from work much quicker with the use of the diamond lane. There are many other pluses to it too.

1. Gas for it right now is at $1.50 per gallon and going down quickly. Also it will be cheaper when Phill is available (.90/gallon + electricity costs for compressing) as you will not have to pay the stations for compressing the gas for you.

2. Maintenance cost are much lower due to the fact there is less acid put into the oil from the combustion of gasoline which breaks down the oil (oil changes every 10,000 miles-- with non-synthetic-- oil opposed to every 3000 in normal cars).

3. CNG is safer as said below as there is a narrow range of concentration in air when it will combust - plus the tanks are built to specifications much higher than gasoline tanks. One test was to hit a tank with a train at full speed and the test tanks did not rupture. Also, CNG is lighter than air so if it does escape from the tank it quickly dissipates where gasoline will pool and the vapors easily combust.

4. Carpool lane. As I said above, I travel 30 miles to work through downtown L.A. and I make the trip during rush-hour in less than 45 minutes.
  • Options
    Did I not read that the miles per tank is limited to ~250 miles because of the limited tank capacity?

And the GX is only available as a 2-dr, right?
  • Options
    You are correct that it is limited to ~250 miles (I have only been able to get 210 because with fast fill stations-all that are where I fill up you don't get a "Full" tank due to heating of the vapor during compression).

No the GX is only available in the 4-door model.

Doug
  • Options
    Why does the GX not show up on Edmunds "New Cars" page for the Civic?

Is the GX only available to certain geographic areas?
  • Options
    I don't know why they don't have it on their site. I noticed that when I was doing my "due diligence" before I bought my car.
  • Options
    I believe CNG is havier than air and will sink when released.

Civic GX has been out since the 1996 redesign, where have you people been?

I believe it still has the regular gasoline tank as well, and a switch to go from CNG to gasoline. It goes both ways, basically.
  • Options
    yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Its nice that Honda is selling CNG version of Civic. CNG is a clean burning fuel which pollutes less and also reduces Crude Oil consumption.

Since there is not enough CNG stations, usage of these vehicles are less. With a device like Phill it should be cheaper and easier.

Ofcourse the cons are the trunk capacity is only half that of regular civic.

As we speak now, there are 3,910,102 CNG powered vehicles according to

http://www.iangv.org/jaytech/default.php?PageID=130

Argentina, Brazil, Pakistan are the leaders.

Phill is coming out in Spring-2005 and Civic-MY-2006 will be offered in CNG version as well in both US & EU. Both these things should make CNG vehicles more popular.
  • Options
    Blueiedgod,

You are very mistaken.

1. Natural gas is lighter than air so it rises and dispurses. See paragraph 11 at http://www.ngv.org/ngv/ngvorg01.nsf/bytitle/NGVsSafetyBulletin.ht- m

2. While the original GX could be ordered bi-fuel the current GX is dedicated natural gas vehicles. Further, in order to qualify for diamond lane stickers an NGV MUST be a DEDICATED (not bi-fuel) and must meet ILEV (federal standards) and ULEV or SULEV or PZEV (state standards). (see http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/en/gv/charging/alt_fuels.asp#natural- gas )

Believe me...I have one and made my 1.5 hour commute to a 40 minute commute. I researched these for two years before I bought one.
  • Options
    You are correct CNG cars are very clean burning. Here are some facts to back it up...

1. Natural Gas Civic is rated the "Cleanest Internal Combustion Engine" ever tested by CARB.

2. The Civic GX emissions of reactive hydrocarbons driving from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. are less than that of spilling a TEASPOONFUL of gasoline.

3. When Honda and the Federal Governement first tested the NGV Civic the emission equipment could not dectect anything. They had to create more sensitive equipment to measure the emissions.

4. "In highly polluted areas, the air coming out of the GX’s exhaust pipe can actually be cleaner than the air you are breathing."

All from these articles: http://www.greenatworkmag.com/gwsubaccess/01novdec/special.html

http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0401/et0401s13.html
  • Options
    It scored 57 out of a maximum 100, making the Civic GX the #1 cleanest car:

http://www.greenercars.com/12green.html
  • Options
    poboypoboy Member Posts: 11
    For those of you that purchased a GX, can you list the dealer you bought it from? I am having a really hard time with the Phoenix area dealers. Many have no idea what a GX is. The rest want to sell me a hybrid instead. Is there another place to find them besides a dealership?

Also, is there a target price for these or is everyone paying MSRP? I cant find much technical research on them other than how clean of a vehicle it is.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think they are just now becoming available to the public. The big saving would be to install the PHILL in your garage to get the lowest price on CNG. Looks like the GX will have an MSRP around $21k plus $3400 for the refueling appliance. Then let OPEC stick it to us. You will not be affected.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Civic+GX&bhcp=1

refueling appliance:

http://www.myphill.com/
  • Options
    jlm101514jlm101514 Member Posts: 4
    does anyone know whether there is a CNG hybrid? it seems odd to me that they wouldn't make one. if one can find a list of gas stations that can produce CNG, how long does it take to fill up the tank?
  • Options
    the Phill says it takes 4 hours to fill up the tank. can a filling station do it faster?
  • Options
    I think public CNG stations use higher pressure and fill the tanks faster than PHILL can...??
  • Options
    For those of you that purchased a GX, can you list the dealer you bought it from? I am having a really hard time with the Phoenix area dealers. Many have no idea what a GX is. The rest want to sell me a hybrid instead. Is there another place to find them besides a dealership?

Also, is there a target price for these or is everyone paying MSRP? I cant find much technical research on them other than how clean of a vehicle it is.

It may not be available in AZ. As far as I know it was sold in "smog states," NY, NJ, CA, MA and others since 1996.
  • Options
    what is the driving range of the GX? i read in another forum on hybrids that it was only like 200 miles. can anyone who owns one confirm/deny that?
  • Options
    yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Yes, it has only 200 mile range. Reason is the compression in their cylinder is only around 350 bar (5,000 psi). Technology do exists to double it, in that case it can go 400 miles.

Phill : Its a small device which may hours to fill the tank. A public station should be able to do it in minutes.

CNG-Electric Hybrid : Already CNG adds 5K to the cost, hybrid will add another 3K. People will not come forward to pay 8K upfront cost. Seems Honda sells only 1,000 units of GX in a year. May be with phill, it goes up.
  • Options
    dvdivadvdiva Member Posts: 2
    You can rent and buy the GX's (and other environmentally-friendly cars) from EV Rentals. Phoenix has a branch - see the locations at:

http://www.evrental.com/index.html

I just bought my 2001 Honda Civic GX from them for much cheaper than what you could get from the dealer. It doesn't have a warranty (it's like buying from a private party), but even the local Honda dealer said there was no way for them to match the price.

According to their website, EV Rentals has one green 2001 for sale in Phoenix. You just missed out on the 2001 models - they just had eight of them shipped from Phoenix to Los Angeles. I bought one of them.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forum and thanks for a GOOD tip. I will keep them on my favorites.
  • Options
    dvdivadvdiva Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm just glad that I finally found a forum for people with (and hoping to get) Civic GX's. I couldn't find any other forums like this, and it's nice to have some place to ask questions at.

I don't know if everyone is aware of all of the incentives of having a CNG car (at least in California). If you live in Los Angeles, you get free parking at meters in the city of Los Angeles, Santa Monica, and Hermosa Beach.

http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/en/gv/incentives/index.asp?blnBtnHit=true

Just something else that I learned while searching the web.
  • Options
    I don't know if everyone is aware of all of the incentives of having a CNG car (at least in California). If you live in Los Angeles, you get free parking at meters in the city of Los Angeles, Santa Monica, and Hermosa Beach.

How does the meter maid know not to give you a ticket? Do you have to go to court to fight the ticket? What if someone placed GX logo on the regular civic, do they still get to park for free?
  • Options
    add second tank so range can be increased from 170 miles or so

I would think it easier to install a larger tank. You are already losing a portion of your trunk in the Civic. Many companies have converted regular cars and trucks to run on LNG, CNG or propane while still giving the option of using regular gas. There are not a lot of places to get CNG or LNG. Also the price is not as good as it once was. I don't believe I would buy a CNG vehicle if I did not have natural gas into my home and could get a refueling appliance like the PHILL.

http://www.myphill.com/
  • Options
    lali001lali001 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have Civic GX which I am considering buying but would like to know if anyone
    managed to find place where they would add second tank so range can be increased
    from 170 miles or so .

Also on same topic would like to know if anyone does CNG conversions, I know
    these are common place in India, China and New Zealand
  • Options
    lali001lali001 Member Posts: 4
    Thansk for your reply, my question was not if I should buy or not but if you could direct me to place where they do conversions and or modifications. I have the car it does have advantage over regular, regular costs 8 cents/mile and GX costs 4 cents/mile, it could be cheaper doing home.
    Also advantage for me is use of carpool lane. The disadvantage I have is short range.
  • Options
    What is the closest metro area to where you are located? How is the power on your GX? I think it is a good commuter vehicle. I would not expect an additional tank to be an easy install. I will try to find the fellow that was going to convert my PU truck.
  • Options
    Here's a better idea:

Volkswagen has developed a car that can run on either CNG or gasoline! You use CNG at home, and gasoline when driving long distances.

troy
  • Options
    Here's a better idea:

Volkswagen has developed a car that can run on either CNG or gasoline! You use CNG at home, and gasoline when driving long distances.

troy

Here is another idea, Honda developed the GX for the 1996 redesign. If Honda did not change it for the 2001 redesign, GX runs on both, NG and gasoline.
  • Options
    No, the Civic GX can *not* run on gasoline:

"Powered exclusively by compressed natural gas (CNG)..."
    http://www.ngv.org/ngv/ngvorg01.nsf/bytitle/HondaCivicGX.htm

troy
  • Options
    My bad
This discussion has been closed.