Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Not really. If you add the same options everyone wants to the Corolla, the Corolla costs more.
    The Corolla is outdated now. It should have been replaced already instead of for 2009 models. When the new Corolla comes out, it will cost more and be discounted less, so the price difference with the Yaris will be more dramatic at that point.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I never viewed the Tercel as having competed with the Corolla; its cu. ft. was always a good deal less than the Corolla's.

The Yaris is still selling well, and, I believe, above projections. I'd say its more likely a mix issue - there's a lot of Yari that I've seen on dealer lots that I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole. Plus, the Corolla situation is fairly unique right now - the model is in its final, lame-duck, and to-be-abbreviated Model Year, which naturally exerts downward pressure on price. Just think of those poor Ford dealers, who only have an 8 year old Focus to work with in these segments...
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Well, let's see. I have a Yaris sedan sitting in my showroom as we speak with the following options:
    CP,GY,KE,PQ,CF. with an MSRP of $16,255.00 including destination charge. These options are basically the cold weather package, side curtain/side impact bags, power windows, locks, and mirrors, keyless entry, and floor mats.

I configured an 07 Corolla LE with the following options:
    CK,VV,AB,BE,CF which is basically the same as the Yaris options. You get a six cd changer with the Corolla an MP3 aux input with the Yaris, both come with ABS, etc. The Corolla stickers at $18,380.00 with current incentives you can pick one up for invoice less rebate which is $750.00 in my region. Plus $200.00 dealer cash.
    When all is said and done, I'm looking for a Corolla LE for less than 16K versus a Yaris with no incentives and about an $800.00 markup between invoice and MSRP. so if I can grind down the salesperson to invoice on the Yaris I can get it for a whopping $15,455.00. My momma didn't raise no fool so I go with the Corolla. More power, better interior, the list goes on.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Subarus AWD know-how? You mean Toyota is learning from Subarus AWD technology. That's hilarious.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    But this is the 2009 Corolla. Much better styling, IMO. You can even see it ace the IIHS test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbo_DNn-fOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdCn8ci-mWM&mode=related&search=

This song is a standard feature! :shades:

At least the front end is better. They probably are virtually the same between the pillars. :blush:

DrFill
  • Options
    That's why I made the title read: This is what we were getting. :) It is the same car between the pillars. You can see the interior is the same on both.
    Initially Toyota leaked the pics of the Corolla Axio to gauge response here. When you get a chance go to www.thehollywoodextra.com I been going to that website for years and I trust his posts better than anybody's when it comes to future vehicles.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    And that's why I showed you the updated version, which looks exactly like a Camry/Yaris love child.

Nobody liked Version 1.0, so how ya like me now? :shades:

DrFill
  • Options
    I've already seen pics of that car, but that's another country. There has always been different styling in other countries, so why would it be any different this time?
    The U.S. version will probably different than what is in Japan or China or Europe.
  • Options
    ever12ever12 Member Posts: 22
    Subarus AWD know-how? You mean Toyota is learning from Subarus AWD technology. That's hilarious.

Yes, Subaru is years ahead of Toyota in terms of AWD technology. And rightfully so. Subaru has been making AWD as far back as I can remember and stopped producing any 2WD cars in the 90's.
  • Options
    ever12ever12 Member Posts: 22
    http://news.windingroad.com/auto-news/spied-mystery-two-door-subaru-toyota/#more- -850

Here's the mystery car Winding Road found in Michigan. To me looking closely and comparing to pictures of the Auris, I assume they are one in the same. Details like the circular reverse light in the tail light and projecter headlight seemingly in the same design under the tape. So why would they bring a veiled Auris here? Unless Michigan is the new Nürburgring, I suspect that we'll see the Auris here.
  • Options
    What's important is the front and rear end styling.

The rear looks like a Corolla, and notice the rear bumper reflectors, the 2008 Highlander has these as well.

The front borrows heavily from the Yaris and Camry, fitting nicely into the new lineup.

The '09 will look EXACTLY like that. I hope you like it. :D

DrFill
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since the car in these pics has a definite U.S.-spec Yaris and Camry influence, I'll bet you're right.

It looks a lot bigger than the current Corolla, also.
  • Options
    so DrFill, is that our Corolla h/b that will debut at SEMA, or what we're expecting the Blade nee Matrix to morph into?
  • Options
    About the Blade making it to SEMA. I think we'll see a production Blade in Detroit next year.

I've seen preliminary photos, and it's alright. I always liked the Matrix's look. :shades:

DrFill
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    they actually ANNOUNCED that the Blade would be shown at SEMA?

As for the running Yaris v Corolla debate, the Yaris is the sportier of the two, it is the more fuel-efficient of the two, and there's no way the Corolla's interior is any nicer than the Yaris's, except for the center gauges thing, which some love, others hate, and some love to hate...

Plus, right now Yaris is one of the few models available with a dual VVT-i engine, if memory serves. Corolla's engine certainly doesn't have that yet. The next one had better have that of course...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Eye sore the press release for the HD TUndra, Convertible FJ, and the 09 Corolla.

They may've made an addendum. Blade wasn't on the initial docket.

Regarding Yaris vs Corolla, having shown many couples both cars, the materials in the Yaris are easily eclipsed, and the Baby-Camry vibe does live on in the Corolla. IT definitely comes off more upscale, and conservative.

The Yaris is more space efficient, doh. I have no problem with the guages.

And the overstuffed Corolla seats definitely make an impression too. ;)

DrFill
  • Options
    Here's a link to lots of pics of the Blade. I hope this replaces the Matrix! :)
    Mackabee

scroll down the page to get to the pics.

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news-393-Toyota+Blade%2C+ready+to+go+%21.html
  • Options
    is it really going to have those funny little quarter windows ahead of the front doors, like Prius and Versa do? Why is everyone doing that now?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Apprecialte the Matrix instead of player-hate.

DrFill
  • Options
    For visibility? I don't like the front fascia of that Blade, but I'm all about the overall shape and style. Hopefully the US-spec will jazz things up a bit.
  • Options
    Speaking of Jazz, that's another model with those funny little quarter windows ahead of the front doors! :-P

• Options
    What do you mean doc?
    Mack
  • Options
    What he means I BELIEVE is
    (1) I have a Matrix, and
    (2) Rather than present views that differ from his own on the Corolla, I should enjoy my car and be quiet. ;-)

• Options
    Well, that's not cool! I would never put anyone down because I don't like or agree with the car they buy.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Yeah! Actually, assuming the next-gen Corolla is properly updated and begins to sell near MSRP for a while again, Yaris sales should jump up, I would think. Hard to say how much xD/xB sales will hold Yaris sales back at dealerships that also sell Scions. But the Yaris is competitively priced and a decent little car, and its sales as good as they are are probably being suppressed currently by the fire sales all over the place on Corollas.

• Options
    The xD is going to kill the Yaris, unfortunately. :cry: With a no-haggle price of $15,170.00 including destination for a 5SPD! ;) and $15,970.00 for an Automatic, who could ask for anything more?
    The only factory option will be VSC/TRAC. Accessories may be added at the port or at the dealer.
    You probably already know it comes standard with the usual power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise control, a/c, am/fm/cd by Pioneer with 160 watts and i-POD connectivity. And let's not forget safety. Standard side impact and curtain airbags in addition to dual stage front airbags and active headrests. And let's not forget the TLA's ;) ABS/EBD/and BA.
    Did I mention it has a tilt steering wheel with audio controls! :blush: standard! Oh and let's not forget the 4 cylinder Dual VVT-i 1.8L that makes 128 ponies at 6000 RPM and 125 lb-ft of torque at 4400 RPM. New EPA testing methodology puts the MPG at 27/33 for the hand shaker, and 26/32 for the Auto. Now the only thing for you to do is choose your color and go reserve one!
    Mackabee
  • Options
    The xD has alot of features, but the styling looks worse than a Yaris. It also has those huge C pillar blind spots.

• Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The new xD which has just debuted in Japan and is known as the ist , is an actual evolution of the xA which was also the first ist in Japan. The US market 08 xB shares nothing at all with the previous xB, in fact it is not sold in Japan. The Japan market bB is an evolution of the previous bB.
    The US 08 xB is in reality an tC 4 door wagon. The chassis, frame, subframe, engine and transmission is the same. If you look closely you can see the resemblance in the front grill and headlights. It's amazing what designers can do with CAD. ;)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Well it should put Toyota's marketing strategy to the test: are sedans, in fact, much more popular in America? If so, the xD hatchback will lose lots of individual contests to the Yaris sedan.

And of course the Yaris will use 10-20% less gas than the xD, another plus especially among the budget- and environment-minded. Not to mention that the Yaris will be lighter, a plus for handling etc. Most importantly, it provides an alternative for us minimalists who don't value 42 airbags, iPod connectivity, stability control, and power windows quite so highly. :-)

I fear "us" minimalists might be a group of one, me myself and I! I suppose the new Corolla will have the whole power package standard beginning with the '09...and six airbags too....

• Options
    The mid-size sedan is the next largest segment of the auto industry. Yaris is a small entry level sedan and as I said before on another post when equipped as the majority of customers want its biting at the heels of the Corolla. Trying to find a "minimalist" ;) equipped Yaris is like pulling teeth from a Bengal tiger. :blush:
    We haven't seen the new methodology EPA ratings for the Yaris so it will be interesting to see how good the mileage really is.
    I imagine the 09 Corolla will probably have seven airbags instead of six. We'll see.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Autobytel has photos of a car called the Auris, with a badly-written caption suggesting this might be the look of the new Corolla. I had understood that the Auris eventually became our Yaris, minus some cosmetic differences for American tastes.

As much as I'm craving something better-looking than the Matrix, I personally hope this isn't it.
  • Options
    jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    The Auris and NA Yaris are entirely different cars. The current Yaris was released much earlier than the Auris, and the latter is basically the widened version of the current (next-gen in the U.S.) Corolla. The four-door sedan (NA) Yaris is the JDM Belta. The two-door hatch NA Yaris is based on the JDM Vitz, minus two doors.
  • Options
    And the Vitz was our ECHO but with an added rump. :( I think if Toyota would have brought that car over as it was originally designed it would have been successful. As it is Toyota keeps missing the mark on the entry level car, too high priced to be competitive.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    And wasn't that Vitz a cute little 5-door? It looked so sweet, and they so hacked it into ugly little pieces when they sawed the back end off and glued on the Echo's trunk. :-(

But "missed their mark" might be going a bit far with regard to the Yaris. They were looking for 50K per year and are currently getting about 90K per year, right?

I for one like the look of the Auris, and if that is what becomes the NA Blade, I might just give it a look, silly name and all. It needs to hold the Matrix's line on fuel economy, though, while being a more engaging drive. Neither of which I expect Toyota will do.

• Options
    mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Count me into the minimalist club. I'd take better active safety features (better tires/brakes) before passive safety features (dozens of air bags, stability control, etc.). The cost to manufacture/buy better brakes/tires would be much cheaper as would avoiding the repairs after an if it could be avoided completely. All that passive stuff adds weight, are additional things to go wrong, and the air bags can total out the car if they all go off. All this reflects the prevasive shift in our society away from individual responsiblity (in this case as drivers).

BTW Consumer Union rates Yaris very low on their road testing (36 versus 62 for the 8 year old Focus or 75 for the Fit). They cite it for very long stops, sloppy/hard to control handling at the limits, excessive engine/road noise, compromised driving position, and of course the center mounted gauges. Even with high reliability and economy they cannot recommend it. CU also notes that well equipped, the Yaris gets expensive.

I for one have always preferred hatchbacks to sedans or (yuck) wagons. Again, I'm not into connectivity, subwoofers, lighting packages, or alloy wheels.

In "my" real world, the extra performance of the new 1.8L/2650 lbs. of the xD will probably win out over the extra economy of the 1.5L/2450 lbs. of the Yaris. Of course the bottom line is the driveability based on how much low end torque is provided. We'll see how the xD/Corolla drive.
  • Options
    The long stops thing is a function of non-standard ABS, and easily solved if Toyota chose not to cheap-out, for once. VSC would solve the handling thing as well, but it too is unavailable.

FWIW, the sedan equipped with ABS scored much higher than the no-frills h/b that CR tested.... 50 vs. 36.

~alpha
  • Options
    ABS has nothing to do with how quick a car stops. This is a misconception that has been out for years. ABS helps you steer the vehicle in a panic or emergency braking situation.

Toyotas have always had more low end torque than the competition. I expect that will be the case with the new 1.8L Dual VVT-i in the xD and the 09 Corolla. :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    54,648 units year to date. We got into this discussion on another board. :) We couldn't decide whether sales were to retail customers or to dealers.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The sales reported at the end of each month are RDR's only. That's the whole purpose of the system.
  • Options
    I'm well aware that ABS is intended to help the driver manuever while braking.

However, given how CR tests vehicles, in their wet braking test, those without ABS have significantly longer stopping distances than those with ABS, and offer less control, resulting in a lower braking rating. My point is still valid and stands; if ABS was standard on the Yaris, CR's critique of the standard disc/drum lowtech brakes would be irrelevant, and would not appear in their write-up.

If you can provide data to the contrary, such as any CR test that shows a make/model tested with and w/o ABS, where the non-ABS vehicle has a higher rating for braking and/or a shorter wet-braking distance than does the ABS equipped iteration, I will happily withdraw my earlier statement.

;)
  • Options
    mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    ABS sucks on snow, glush, or ice. ABS increases stopping distance and removes control from the driver. It engages way too easily/early. Those of us from the frozen north ABS as a car should handle its best under the worst conditions, instead you slide versus stopping (if you have any experience with winter driving). Wet braking versus snow, glush, or ice is a joke (in terms of severity/difficulty). ABS is good for panic stops or to allow the driver to steer during panic stops.

A CU score of 50 (for Yaris with ABS) is still less than average and not something I'd advertize. Note again that an 8 year old Focus scores a 62.
  • Options
    "and/or a shorter wet-braking distance than does the ABS equipped iteration, I will happily withdraw my earlier statement."

I was not arguing that point. My point was there is a misconception abs helps you stop in a shorter distance period. CR may have rated the abs equipped higher for their test but did they also test in dry pavement? ;)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have nearly 30 years experience driving in Minnesota. I have two vehicles with ABS now. On average ABS engages 2-3 times a year for me. When it does, I am glad for it. I would like to see ABS standard on the next Corolla.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Toyota really has no choice with ABS. It's main competition, the Civic, has it standard across the line. Even Hyundai includes this on their Elantra, another direct competitor. Toyota will follow suit along with multiple air bags. They're not that foolish to omit these 2 items.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Toyota drops a V6 in the new Blade. Perhaps they will offer it on the New Corolla as well :shades:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/02/japan-toyota-drops-3-5l-v6-in-blade-master-ha- tchback/
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The new Camry has ABS and 7 air bags standard on all trim levels, so I would bet that the new Corolla will also.
  • Options
    I hate ABS and have always avoided cars that had it. If people would quit tailgating, they wouldn't have to worry about shorter stopping distances. I think it should be a choice, an option. Everytime they put stuff like this on a car it's like you have to learn how to drive all over again! Geez. Remember that 4-wheel steering they tried to say was so great?! Oh, well, if it's inevitable, so be it.
  • Options
    Pardon, but what is "JDM"?
  • Options
    I suppose there's an occasional need for a monastic or Zen car! ;) But not only are cars less basic anymore, they're all getting bigger, too. I noticed an older Camry that was smaller than my '98 Corolla. Now Camry's the size Avalon used to be, and, well, Avalon's enormous, but 100 times better looking now that it's elongated. Next year, I expect Yaris to become the size of my Corolla, as the next Corollas will get larger, still...who in the world got Toyota on this "bigger is better" kick?! I hate what they did to the RAV4!