Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Yes the vent will move side to side if you would like I will send a few pictures the nice thing is with my 660 with bluetooth phone it is close enough to hear and talk. With it mounted on the window it is far away and it the way of my road vision.

MNF
  • slowlearner1slowlearner1 Member Posts: 35
    I tried to post pictures with no luck...but I took plastic cup holders...they stick to the bottom of the cabinet shelf and the cup hangs from it...and cut the end off the cup holder so it would slide in the vent and hook to the back of the vent. When I was happy with the position, I stuck 2 hooks to the back of the GPS. Took 2 cuts to get it so it would slip in and then out with a tilt of the GPS. I mounted it right over the "panic button" inbetween the vents. It is super easy to slip in and then slip out to put in the console...out of sight. It sticks in place and the only problem was glare from the sun. I ended up placing it lower on the vent because of the glare.

One of my concerns was being able to completely remove the GPS and mount so thieves would not be attracted to the vehicle. It cost me about $2.50.

If anyone can help me with picture posting, I have 4 to help display what I did.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    My son uses a small contraption that looks like a mini-mini bean bag. He put some velcro on it and to the base of the nav unit (Tom Tom) and lays it on top of the dash right above the stereo. This is on a Scion tC but I would imagine it works just as good on a Corolla. Keeps the unit put while driving and easily removes when not in use. Next time he's down here or I go up there I will take a pic of it and post it.
    :shades:
    I got a Nuvi 350 for Father's day. It's not what I wanted so I sent it back. Now I wished I would have kept it since I got terribly lost a few weeks ago. A dear friend of mine opened up a landscaping and home staging business and had a grand opening in a nearby city. I went to mapquest and printed me out a map and driving directions. Since I left from work it was a straight through drive and I didn't have any trouble finding the place. On the way back it was now dark and I don't know what possessed me to make a right turn on a familiar named street. Next thing you know I'm on my way to Carolina. I almost had a couple of wrecks in the process and finally got home two hours later. :sick: I could have saved me some time if at the first sign of trouble I would have stopped and asked for directions, but nooooo. Typical male I was too proud to do that.
    Last spring took a 2 week vacation from Missouri to east coast down to Florida then along the gulf and back to Mo. We preset all the motel addresses in the GPS and it was so easy to find each one. Then, if we wanted to go exploring, it was easy to find our way back to the motel when we were done. I used to try to remember all my turns so I could retrace my route. I kinda miss not knowing where I'm at...just following directions. Its a good idea to check where the GPS thinks your final destination is located. The first time I used it, it took me to the middle of a cornfield.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    One of the dangers in owning a GPS is how old the maps are.

It still gets you in the general vacinity if the maps are old, or they have been building in the area you are in. I got my Nuvi 350 about 2-3 yrs ago and finally updated the maps this year. I love the thing, especially if I am hunting for gas or food! :) Portables keep getting cheaper and giving you more for your $$!
  • valleydavidvalleydavid Member Posts: 35
    09 Corolla S AT - Silver
    Base Model with Option D package $19295 : MSRP $21,254
    Lojack Early Warning: 895
    7/100K Platinum Warranty: 1195

Feel got good price what doyou think?
    Geez people! anytime you can get a discount on a Corolla during the current gas crisis it's a deal. 2K off the MSRP ? There is not that much money between invoice and sticker. I would skip the lo-jack and get the car. I'd skip the Platinum warranty too. You're buying the world's best selling car. This little guys are bullet proof. But if you want piece of mind then get the warranty. And it's really a 2 year warranty. It overlaps the factory warranty. ;)
    The cops around here tell me Lo-jack is practically useless nowadays since most vehicles including the Corolla have the engine immobilizer system which renders the vehicle undriveable if someone tries to start it without the master key. Put the 1195 in a renewable 12 month cd and if you ever need a repair you'll have the money after the factory warranty expires.
    Mack :shades:
    I put pictures in my photo album titled " GPS vent mount" I hope this works.

http://www.carspace.com/slowlearner1

Thanks Steve for the help.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Finally picked up my factory ordered loaded Barcelona Red XLE today. Beautiful car and drives perfect. $21800.00 out the door, tax and tags included. Spoiler, Alloys, JBL Radio, Mudguards, Carpets, Stability Control, Cruise, Side Moldings, Moon Roof, and Moon Roof air deflector. The only thing I DIDN'T get is navigation. Well under MSRP and slightly over invoice. Very pleased !!! Thinking about the Platinum seven year bumper to bumper warranty offered at $695.00, any suggestions?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Congrats! Put the $695 in a CD just in case you need a repair. Chances are, you'll have the $695 plus interest after that Platinum warranty would have expired.
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    How many miles will you drive in 7 years? If it's under 100k or even 120k, I wouldn't spend the money.

You are banking on having problems between years 3 and 7 with that right?
  • carl41carl41 Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2005 and now a 2009 Corolla and after living with the new '09 for a couple of months now I can tell you that the '09 is not on the same caliber as the '05. Although it's too early to judge highway gas mileage yet as the '09 only has a few thousand miles, I can tell you that the seats in the '09 are less comfortable, the headrests protrude too far forward pushing your head forward(it's only after a moderate long drive do you notice this as your neck begins to hurt). The interior is cheaper and the some of the things that are standard on our '05 LE version are not available on the '09 LE unless you pay extra for them.(for example the 6 in-dash CD player in the '05 is now just a single CD player). For those that like to DIY oil changes, the oil filter is now a paper cartridge that you need a special tool to remove the metal housing that holds the cartridge instead of on the '05 which is a traditional spin on filter. Not a real huge deal but it does take more time and is more messy when you do it yourself. We had narrowed the search down between the Corolla and the Elantra. The '05 has been flawless maintenance and repair wise and we selected the '09 Corolla over the Elantra because of this. However the Elantra had tons more options/equipment in the base model for less money and the seats were more comfortable. Buyers Remorse I guess. Also the paint is just horrible on this car as well. It's thin and scratches just by looking at it ! I've done some research and many are complaining on how bad the paint is. Apparently Toyota is using a water-based paint which is thinner than previous compounds and just the slightest rub will produce scratches. Wwe are leasing this one with the intention of buying at the end but if I was going to turn this in at the end of the lease, I'd be very scared what Toyota was going to do to me over this paint job because if I have this many surface scratches already at 3 months of ownership, I just imagine what this thing will lool like in 2 years and 9 months !!! One last thing, we had the '09 for less than two weeks when the plastic wheel well liner came unattached and dropped down on the tire. I had to "rescue" my wife who was stranded on the interstate by getting a utility knife to cut the liner out so she could continue to drive. My suggestion would be to anyone looking at that segment of cars, to look hard at the Elantra before jumping into a Corolla. In my opinion this new generation of Corollas is not in the same league as the previous generation.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Thanks for the comparison. What's interesting is that the driving position is IMO the biggest improvement of the '09 over the prior generation. But then you said seats, not driving position.

FYI, many other cars these days use water-based paint--including I think the Elantra. The paint on the two Elantras I've owned held up pretty well, but I do notice fine scratches on my current car (bright red, non-metallic). They were much less noticeable on my older Elantra, which was a champagne metallic. A good waxing makes them nearly unnoticeable though. It might be more important with these new paints to keep a good coat of wax on the car. Also I think those clay bar treatments can remove fine scratches. I haven't used one yet as the scratches on my car aren't too bad, but that might be worth a try.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Just my thoughts....Fine scratches usually occur when you wash the car. The method I use is 2 buckets...one for the dirty water and one for clean soapy water...then rinse with a hose.

Clay bar is marvelous at removing paint imperfections, overspray, and pollutants (but usually not scrtches). Genlly run the back of your hand over the clean car. You will probably feel bumps all over...these are pollutants attacking the finish (even my plastic headlight lenses). Clay Baring the entire car and following with a good wax will make it feel like a baby's behind....I Good Luck though. Reds and blacks are scratch prone!
    Heck, I told you guys that long before the car came out.
    :D
    Just got my 2009 XLE week. I love it! I have to disagree with most of what you stated about the 2009. I have an 2001 LE and I love it as well, but the 2009 has so many new options, upgrades and features. Paint job has yet to be tested in only a week. Would recommend this car to anyone. Almost bought the 2008 Honda, so glad I didn't.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Bear in mind carl41 was referring to an '05, which was a very different car from the '01 you have. The new options for '09 are basically the availability once again of leather, and the inclusion of optional stability control and NAV. The vast majority of '09s sold will have neither NAV nor leather. Even stability control is in the minority. As for upgrades, they are hard to see beyond the obvious: inclusion of standard ABS and 6 airbags, and the optional 2.4L engine. And for that the price of a comparable car went up about $1000 (with stickers on 2.4L cars going well into the $20Ks, a first for Corolla), so the buyer is paying for those items.

What seems ironic to me is that the Civic, which seemed a bit overpriced since '06, suddenly seems less so. I have now driven the two back to back and while it is obvious the Corolla benefits from being quieter, pretty much everything else about the Civic seems better, even the weird dash displays.

I continue to lurk, though, gathering more opinions from owners. Right now there are pretty much no deals to be had on Civics, and I can afford to wait a while.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Oh I wasn't comparing my 2009 XLE to my 2001 LE, I was merely disagreeing with his opinion of the uncomfortable seating and the cheaper looking interior. I can't answer for his comparison to a 2005 Corolla as I never sat in one or drove one. But my XLE has wood grain interior (very rich looking), lots of storage, good interior lighting, simple to use very informative information cluster, steering wheel audio controls and blue tooth capable phone answering right from the steering wheel, powerful JBL stereo, antenna built into the rear window, satellite radio equipped, slide a-way center console, up and down adjustable seating, telescoping steering wheel and larger interior then previous models.
  • dantzdantz Member Posts: 49
    "What seems ironic to me is that the Civic, which seemed a bit overpriced since '06, suddenly seems less so. I have now driven the two back to back and while it is obvious the Corolla benefits from being quieter, pretty much everything else about the Civic seems better, even the weird dash displays."

I waited for the 2009 Corollas to come out before making my decision. I was hoping that Toyota would finally fix the awkward driver's seating position from the 2003-2008 models, and they did, but they also introduced some new issues. Anyway, I gave both cars a good look and I ended up going with the 2008 Civic. In the beginning I also thought the Civic's dash display seemed weird, but now that I'm used to it I like it quite a bit. However, the road noise is definitely an issue. I think that quieter tires might help.

There's a separate discussion entitled "08 Civic vs 09 Corolla" that has more details, here.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I've owned more Hondas then Toyotas...both are great cars. I traded my 99 Accord for the Corolla and have no regrets. I wanted to buy the Civic, but the issue of road noise and the Starship Enterprise looking dash, I just couldn't get myself to purchase the Civic. I'm getting older and enjoy a quiet ride. Hopefully Honda one day will resolve the issue of road noise and win me back.
  • denvecsrdenvecsr Member Posts: 40
    Coupon given to me when I purchased the car. First Free Oil, Filter Change and Car Wash. My receipt says 5W30 was used when 5W20 is the oil weight stating in my manual that should only be used. It also states that only Toyota oil should be used, when my receipt says Mobil oil. After getting my receipt I immediately go to the service manager when he tells me that Mobil 5W20 was used. He tells me that all receipts say 5W30. How do I know this? Is he telling me the truth? Why was Mobil oil used when my manual says use only Toyota oil? He tells me they only use Mobil oil. Can I trust this dealer that they even did an oil and filter change? I don't know I'm not allowed to see the mechanic working on my car. Then I go outside to see the car and it was hit with a hose, all wet. This is the free car wash? The car was filthy. Give me a break.

They want to charge me $30.00 just to rotate my tires. No balancing. I buy tires just about any place today (BJ's, the last 3 times I needed tires) they rotate and balance my tires free anytime I want. The service consultant tells me that they would do the same if I bought my tires there. Not only did I buy the tires there I bought the whole car! Last service I will ever have here.

Let's see what Toyota says after they receive my complaint.
    I wouldn't say they were awful to you, really. They provided mediocre, uninspired service rather than great service, and for that you would not be remiss in avoiding them for service from here on out.

Every dealer uses bulk oil, whatever they can get for a cheap rate. None of them are using "Toyota oil". However, if they put 5/30 on the paperwork then they probably put 5/30 oil in the car. This won't be awful for the engine, but will reduce fuel economy slightly. Next time, make sure they put in 5/20, but there's no need to change it early.

By the way, you didn't buy your tires from them, even though you bought the car from them. I know that seems confusing, but they did not sell you retail tires, they sold you a car that happened to have tires on it, ones that were installed at the factory in Canada or California.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Nippo,
    I'm sorry to disagree with you but I live in a large city in Northeast PA. The medium size Toyota dealership I go to uses Toyota synthetic 5-20 oil directly out of the red plastic Toyota bottle, no bulk for this weight of oil The dealership has a large observation window where you can plainly watch the mechanics working. Personally, if it was my new car I would demand that they drain and refill the oil to prove to me that it is indeed 5-20 and not 5-30.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The manual says 5w-20 oil, but you DO NOT have to use 5w-20 Toyota brand oil. Any good 5w20 oil is fine (I prefer Castrol brand). I think if you read the manual closely, you will see that it does NOT say that you HAVE to use Toyota brand oil (which is really made by ?) It does say 5w-20 though. If it was Mobil brand 5w-20, that's fine.

The tire place that rotates mine charges a one time fee of $25, then they rotate them for life for free - just go to a good tire shop.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Before flying off the handle and embarrassing yourself......

There is no such thing as 'Toyota oil'. Toyota doesn't make oil, it makes vehicles. It may repackage engine oil made by various manufacturers. From the Corolla/Matrix manual it actually says...Specifications ==> Lubrication System

Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the grade and viscosity shown below.

paraphasing the rest..
    0W-20 provides optimal fuel economy....
    0W provides for easier starting in cold weather
    the 20 value indicates the oil viscosity at operating temperatures...
    quoting the last statement...
    "An oil with higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

Now if you want to pick a fight that's certainly your perogative but don't expect much in the way of feel-good results. $30 is a normal fee for rotating the tires.

Most tires places will rotate them for free because that's their 'hook' to get you to come back regularly to encourage you to buy your tires from them again.
    I have every right to fly off the handle. First the wrong oil and the wrong weight was used. There is Toyota Motor Oil which the parts department and the service dept pushes to sell you. Second, you cannot see your car being worked on through the glass windows. Third, a car wash is not a hosing down. If you think so then you must work for Toyota. Come on, the car was soaking wet with dirt all over the body. I just drove back from Florida. When I purchased my car I asked both the salesman and the sales manager where the oil filter was because I couldn't see it. They told me it was behind the plastic plate. Never telling me it was some special kind of paper filter that you can't get unless you buy it at Toyota and that you need a special tool to remove it. I have changed my own oil for over 30 years. The few times I had to have a mechanic do it because it was either winter or I was incapacitated they screwed it up. One repair shop didn't change the filter. I had mine marked with a permanent marker. Another time a mechanic insisted he put the right amount of oil in, while I was standing there. An hour later my oil was all over the place on the highway. Having too much oil caused too much pressure which caused the gaskets to blow. I had to get towed back to the repair shop. It's ridiculous. You can't trust anyone to do a simple oil change. Can you imagine how much you are ripped off when something really goes. It's a shame.
    Denvecsr, I have a few suggestions for you. If you choose to follow them fine. If you don't that's fine too.
    1. Change the oil yourself.
    2. Nowhere in this country that I know of is there a requirement that all service bays must be accessible or visible to the customer so they can watch their oil changed.
    3. A car wash means something else to different people. Wash the car yourself.
    4. RTFM. It is not the sales person or sales manager responsibility to know where the oil filter is on YOUR car. It's your responsibility. RTFM
    5. Why stop now? Keep changing your oil if it makes you feel better.
    6. It is ridiculous! go back to number one.
    7. I can't imagine. When something does goes wrong and I'm not qualified to fix it, I search and ask for referrals for good mechanics, a/c repairmen, roofers, etc. And then I let them do their job without looking over their shoulder the whole time. If I don't trust them than why hire them?

And last but not least; be happy you don't have cancer. Or you might and not even know it. Have you ever heard of the law of attraction or the power of intention? Look them up and chill out. You're a perfect candidate for a heart attack.
    You must definitely work for Toyota.
    You must definitely work for Toyota.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Have a nice life angry at the world..

Did you miss the statement from the Owner's Manual '...or equivalent...', that's all that they ( the service dept ) or you have to conform with. As Mackabee said if you're not satisfied with the FREE OIL CHANGE, then in the future DIY. If your experience with having someone else do your service in the past is that it gets screwed up then DIY.
    Oh certainly, terceltom: no dealership installing synthetic is pulling it out of a bulk container. I was referring to dino oil only. I made the assumption that the '09 Corolla uses dino oil.....surely Toyota has not started specifying SYNTHETIC? FOR THE COROLLA??!! I would be a little incredulous in that case. I think customers would complain at the consequent high cost of oil changes.

If it IS dino as I suspect, then I stand by my original comment. Certainly my local dealership uses Havoline 5W20 out of the "tub" for oil changes in my Matrix.

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    RTFM????

Read the Ford Manual

For a Toyota?
    It's an old navy saying. RTFM, read the frigging manual. Usually found under:

"Maintenance schedule"
    1. Do it yourself items.
    I work for a dealership that sells Toyotas.
    I work for a dealership that sells Toyotas.
    n A Perfect World

There would be a large window next to every car being worked on and the friendly mechanic would explain everything he/she is doing...and even tilt the car if necessary so you can see what they are doing.

Oil would have a different color for each type so you would instantly know what has been put in your car.

Car washes would not only clean your car, but fill in the rock chips.

Dealers would rotate your tires for free because they never have a backlog of people waiting to have their cars worked on.

Oil filters would always be the screw on type. Lets keep everything on the engine the same from now on.

Democrats and Republicans would agree to do whats best for our country.
    (Sorry, I got carried away)
    Pretty easy to make light of this subject when it's not your brand new $20,000.00 car, huh?! I know if this happened to me I would be pi**ed. I don't think it's asking to much for a dealership to put in the correct oil in your car when you take it in for an oil change, or to dry your car after washing, do you?
    Synthetic can be had "out of the tub" also. Why couldn't it? And why would you be surprised that it would be used in a Corolla? It's really not that much more expensive than dino considering you get longer intervals between oil changes.

Let's say Toyota brings back the MR2 with the 1.8L dual vvt-i engine that is now in the Corolla. Do you put synthetic in now because it's now an MR2? ;)
    I don't think they would put the "wrong" type of oil in to begin with. There is not much difference between 5w-20 and 5w-30 and it's not going to hurt the engine in anyway. Oil viscosities are recommended based on the lowest extreme and highest extreme ambient temperatures the car is going to be subjected to.

Dealerships get their oil in bulk and it goes in an 88 Tercel same way as it does in an 08 Landcruiser. Most dealerships that "wash" your car do just that. Spray it with soapy water then rinse, and let it air dry.
    Personally, I look at the oil dipstick after the oil changes. If it looks a nice clean honey color then I'm done until the next one. Oh, and if I don't think they changed the filter I look for the tell tale mark on it. I always specify that my tires be set at 30 in summer and 32 in winter and I make sure they write it on the repair order so it gets done.
    If all I'm getting is a free wash and not a complete detail and I don't like it then I tell them to skip the wash. No need to get all ballistic about it. Must be tough going through life like that.
    Until someone figures a way that you can drive your car up to the service lane and input all you want done into a computer terminal then a robot comes over and takes your car and everything is done by machines and not humans then we will just have to live with what we got. ;)

There.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It is okay if people report their bad experiences here. Let's let them do that without continuing to bash them for it. None of us were there except for the poster.

The "defense" has been made by a couple of you several times now, so let's move on.

Thank you.
    Hmm, usually Toyota dealers don't carry synthetic in bulk because they don't go through it the way they do with dino oil. My local dealer doesn't have synthetic in bulk. I could see if it were a Lexus dealer or something, where some of the cars specify synthetic, but what Toyotas use synthetic?

Have you actually gone back to the service department where you work and asked them if they carry synthetic in bulk in the service bay for oil changes?

And I will bet you that Corolla will NEVER use synthetic, unless every model on the market goes away from dino. Synthetic is expensive, and we have the public too well trained for those 3000-mile or 5000-mile OCIs. ;-)

Synthetic oil changes often cost twice the price of dino changes - people WOULD complain. You realize lots of owners are looking for any deal that will save them a dollar or two over the standard $29.95 price, right?

Edit: I just checked, and even the BRAND NEW LEXUS LS uses dino oil. They ask that if you switch to synthetic, that you not do so until 5000 miles, that you not go back, and that you mantain the 5K-mile OCIs even with the synthetic!!

No, I predict it will be a long time (if ever) before Toyota specifies synthetic for a Toyota-brand vehicle.

Read my post again. I never said all Toyota dealers carry synthetic oil in bulk but the ones that do have it in bulk. Some customers request synthetic and bring their own when the dealerships don't provide it.
    Yes, I walk back there all the time. We have regular oil in bulk. 5W30 and it gets put in in ALL Toyotas as that is what is required by our temperature changes in our area.
    I'm not advocating the use of synthetic oil in any car unless a person wants it and that's their choice whether they drive an Echo or a Lexus LS. Synthetic oil was developed to provide longer intervals between oil changes and some claims of better mpg and less wear on the engine, nothing more, nothing less. Most people could care less aboout it if it's going to cost them twice as much. If you want to argue all day long be my guest. I just don't have the time.
    This is funny or ironic. I sold a Prius to a legally blind man last year. His wife drives it so I think we are ok.
    In all my years of driving I don't think I've come across a blind person crossing a street. Don't they have seeing eye dogs anyway?

Which reminds me;
    A couple of weeks ago I was heading home and Mrs. Mack calls me and tells me to stop by the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk. Not wanting to go out of my way for a gallon of milk I stop at the closest 7-11. I walk in and head back to the coolers to look for the milk when I see a blind man and his seeing eye dog walk in. He stops in the middle of the store and then grabs the dog's leash and begins spinning the dog over his head. I'm stunned and so is the clerk behind the desk!! 'Excuse me sir! Can I help you??!" exclaims the clerk in disbelief.
    "No thanks. I'm just looking around." replies the blind man. image
    Now I'm totally confused as the dealer I just bought my "09" XLE from told me to use the synthetic oil of 0W-20 as this is what they use for the new Corolla's. In fact he gave me one bottle and it does have a Toyota label on it, not Mobil or any other Co. My wife has the car or else I would check the manual. I have an unlimited/no cost supply of this synthetic grade of oil so I guess I will take the dealers advice and use this when I start doing my own oil changes again with this new car.
    No need to be confused and don't bother the wife. :blush:

Stay with me here. Go to link title On the left side of the screen click on the Corolla picture where it says iGuide. This will bring up everything you ever wanted to know about your Corolla. Even the owner's manual is in here. Get familiar with the features. It's going to ask you which Corolla trim level you have. In your case choose XLE then configure your options such as the Jbl stereo, cruise control, VSC, etc. You can access your owner's manual by scrolling all the way down on the left of the iGuide, click on iGuideresources and then "owner's manual". Go to section 4-3 Do it yourself maintenance and checking oil. You will see 5w20 and 0w20 listed. and also the graph I mentioned about the temperature guidelines. They do state the 0W20 is the best choice for better fuel economy and cold weather starting. So I would use this one in Minnesota or states where it gets really cold in the mornings or at night. There's all kinds of good stuff on the site. Videos explaining how to use some of the features you may not be familiar with and other goodies. Check it out!
    Mack
    :)
    Mack,
    Thanks for your help, isn't the internet wonderful? Even though I live in the North East I'll still use the 0W20 synthetic blend. As I stated I do have an unlimited supply of this synthetic blend available, plus it sounds like it will optimize my gas mileage as well.
    It is, isn't it? I would use it also right from the beginning. Enjoy your Corolla.
    :)
  • mdbookermdbooker Member Posts: 1
    My S corolla has around 18000 miles abolutly no knocking. Very quiet and smooth running engine.
    And you were expecting an engine knock at only 18k miles, why?
    Maybe at 218,000 miles!