Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (2007+)

atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
I heard on another discussion group that Ford will be coming out with a new Sport Trac in the spring of 2006. Does anyone know if this is true or anything about this vehicle? Will it be based on the current Explorer platform? Will it have a mid gate?

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Seems about right - this vehicle hasn't undergone a major change since its introduction in 2001, so 5 years on, it should be due for a restyle.

You may not see a lot of activity here til the official announcement, but we'll keep it open and hopefully someone will post as soon as it's official.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Last weekend on the Autoweek Show on the Speed Channel they had a quick blurb on the new Sport Trac. It will be based on the new Explorer platform and will have IRS. They claim a 30% larger cargo area than the current model. It will premier next month at the Detroit Auto Show. Not sure when it will hit the dealers. It sounds like it will be a direct competitor to the Honda Ridgeline SUT.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Hello, my name is Stephen. I plan to buy in spring, and I learned today that the new SportTrac was coming.

The SportTrac will probably have four big advantages over the Ridgeline:

1) Pricing will probably be lower, and even if it is the same, the Fords will be readily available for several hundred dollars over invoice, while the Honda will almost surely sell at sticker price and above;

2)Rear wheel drive or four wheel drive, not a front-heavy front drive which occassionally might direct power to the rear wheels, as in the Ridgeline;

3) The bed will be separate from the passenger compartment,as in the present Sport Tract, so noise from cargo will not be able to transmit to the passenger compartment as readily as in the Ridgeline, which has the bed integrated with the passenger compartment; and,

4) It will have an optional V8 (hopefully the same three valve head, 300HP unit as in the Mustang), for good power and towing ability when needed.

I presently own a 2002 Mountaineer, and am looking for a vehicle which allows me to keep my rattling/sliding cargo separate from the passenger compartment. I have considered several cars, but it seems that my final decision will between the Ridgeline and SportTrac. I finally rejected the Five Hundred and Montego yesterday (big trunk, but several problems) Frustrated, this morning I even briefly considered the Deville/DTS and LS430, but I have come back to my senses - $50,000 to $60,000 for a car is nuts. I would rather buy a new $30,000 car and invest the other $20,000.

I want a car, but need a truck, so a four door car-truck is just what I need, and I wonder how many others here have come to a similar conclusion?
    I have a pickup now, which is very useful. However, I have decided that I can live with a shortened bed in exchange for four doors. I do not want a full sized truck, because I do not need that much capability and driving and parking a big truck is a pain.

Therefore, I am looking at the following crew cabs, in my current order of preference - Frontier, Tacoma, Dakota. I am intrigued by the Ridgeline, as you cannot go wrong buying a Honda, but I am not sure it is enough truck for me, as I have a job that actually takes me off road. The new Sport Trac sounds like it may be a good compromise, and if they offered the 300 hp V8 that would really get my attention.
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    I just love the one they have been showing on the circuit! That thing is tough and cool at the same time! I hope the production version isn't too dumbed down. Would have bought wife one of the left over 04s, but for the lack of power underhood. Especially when all the competition just got major power bumps. My turn is next, and we want a either a 4 door truck or suv. But can't afford the big boys, so Sport trac is right in line. Z plan will make it so much more attractive than the Ridgeline, too!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    to buying a 2004/5 Sport Trac, but purchased a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab w/Hemi instead...I had realy hoped that they had upgraded the Trac since it was based on the old Explorer which was based on the Ford Ranger frame...small vehicle, not much in the "pickup area" (quite narrow, only 52" long) and biggest problem was the V6 engine...while the 345 HP Hemi was probably more than I need, along with the huge size of the Ram, the Trac was just too small...I asked the salesman if they were ever going to make the Trac on the current Explorer frame with IRS, 4 wheel disc and, at minimum, the V8 used in current Explorer/Mountaineer models with 239 HP, but he had no idea...this thread may be the news I was looking for...
  • al4al4 Member Posts: 1
    I just saw the pictures of the 2006 Explorer Sport Trac concept and all i can say is WOW! I'm not usually too big on trucks but this one really looks good. If ford thought they hit the jackpot with the new mustang, i don't think so. It would be awesome if they brought this concept into production. I was wondering, is that how it would look like if they did go ahead and produce it or is that the top of the line model (xls, xlt, limited, etc...) and what's the price on it? Thanks
    I think the one they are showing has been spiffed up. My guess is the actual version will be more conservative. I have not heard a price or a release date.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    IMO, it looks good, and will be less roll happy than the old one, which still sat rather high on the old platform. Looks like a big improvement.
  • aviator5aviator5 Member Posts: 1
    Quick question. Should the motor and compressor for the driver seat lumbar be noisy. We drove 3 that were quiet and the one we bought is noisy. The compressor wasn't working at the time of sale and was replaced after. The service manager believes it will makes noise during inflation.

Any help appreciated.

thanks
    Looks pretty cool. I was hoping it would come this year. Probably need to rename this thread, but I guess it will probably die a natural death at some point before then, so when things start to heat up a proper "2007 Explorer Sport Trac" thread can be started.
  • blautoblauto Member Posts: 1
    to Steven
    instead of buying a new car and bearing the weight of that terrible depreciation for American vehicles why not buy one a year or so old and get them at a reasonable prices. This way you could get most of what you want and have your $20k to invest. Try getting one from someone who buys vehicles at a dealers auction and can get vehicles coming off lease.
    Burke Leon/blauto
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    I have my serious doubts on whether the the Ford SportTrac would be a better vehicle than the Honda Ridgeline. It is ashame that Ford offers a 4.6 V8 with only 239 hp, when its customers know the thing can make up to 302 (Lincoln Aviator). Please Ford, give your customers and fans a break, start packing some heat in those engines or rollover and get out of the market cream puffs.
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    By the way, why no new Ranger? Ford had time to bust out a new car (the ford five hundred) with no certain market yet failed to revive its #1 selling compact Truck. If Ford says that the Ranger is the #1 selling pickup this year after all of the new pickups that have arrived, either people are crazy or Ford is using some "fuzzy math" Its a shame to lose that title!
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    There are some rumors about Ford making deals with engine manufacturers to introduce a smaller 4-something liter 6 cylinder Diesel engine in a medium truck and/or SUV. A smaller diesel in the new Sport Trac would be Super! Even it made 200 hp and about 300 lb-ft of torque, it would still a cooler power plant than any 4.6 V8.

Ford - bring the smaller Diesel.

2FastDre.
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    Ford actually has a diesel lined up for the new in 04 F150, but didn't release it because no one else was going that way yet. They didn't want to get hung out to dry.

In 06 there are major law changes going into effect, so we will see some movement then. Personnally I would also like to see midsize and small diesel offerings across the board.
  • lordaddylordaddy Member Posts: 3
    Maybe you should wake up! The Explorer is getting a HP increase to 300HP and 300lbs or torque. on the new model. Besides who would want to drive that ugly Honday anyway, looks like they tried to make a bad copy of the Avalanche. Look at what counts like towing capacity. Last why would I want to pay up to $30,000 for that small thing when I could get a Crew Cab F150 for that price, or a Nissan Titan???? Wake UP Honda! I dont see thing truck around long, its over priced for its market.
  • hersheytx1hersheytx1 Member Posts: 13
    Got a Sport Trac now. Have had a Ford F150 97, Explorer 98, and Mustang GT 97. I am not a Ford basher.
    I drove the Honda Ridgeline. It puts my current Trac to shame. It drives like a luxury car but has a lot of neat add ons.
    That being said I will give Ford a shot with the New Trac. The main thing is I want Nav, XM, AWD option. I have been asking Ford for a bigger engine in the Trac since I bought it.
    Now I look at the Honda Ridgeline with 255 hp v-6 and see it already has more power then my 02 Trac.
    I also have owned 3 Honda's. Both Ford and Honda have been reliable. Ford had some emission control problems but I considered it minor. Overall it will come down to the driving. I want to have a smoother ride with more comfort. I know its a truck, but I want more. So far the Honda has proved very tempting. I need to see the new Trac when it comes out to decide who wins.
    Jeff
    Dallas, Tx
  • vrodvrod Member Posts: 1
    Hey...if Ford is going to have a new concept of the Sport Trac, then a few questions of why they left out some of it's key features, like the Adrenaline Package with XM Radio, six in dash CD player,the power down back window, Sun roof and split leather seats that sort of match the interior with heaters, eight different position driver seat, Nav. System. I mean come on guys..if we as consumers buy your vehicle's, then these items should be standard and the real day glow seats and 60 watt radio, give me a break, these should be the special order items. I really like the look, but only with the key features mentioned, if it doesn't have these, then I will not be a buyer for sure....My opinion.

VRod
  • truckdudemitruckdudemi Member Posts: 1
    Rest assured it'll be a sweet truck. I was in Studio K the other week, it's looking great. Concept car was just that - CONCEPT. Not production vehicles. Adrenalin will rock. Looks like it accomplished its goal - to TEASE you guys. Give us a break.
    I just cancelled the order for my 2006 Magnum, and decided to keep my 2002 Mountaineer until the 2007 SportTrac is out. If you read the write up on media.ford.com on the 2006 Mountaineer, you see much that also applies to the SportTrac. Ford really found and fixed problems large and small with the 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer design - less noise, less vibration, more power, probably better mileage, better safety, and so forth. Of course, the current 2005 SportTrac is based on the ancient 2001 and earlier Explorer, so the change in 2007 will be even more dramatic for the SportTrac.
  • deavestracdeavestrac Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 ford spor trac and i have driven a ridgeline. Even though the honda is a little smoother and handles a bit better i still would rather drive the have the spor trac for a few reasons.

1. Price-base on honda is 5000 more
    2. Ford tows more
    3. Honda isnt a truck company, they make rice burners
    4. The ridgeline has no balls

http://autotrader.com/research/compare/index.jsp?restype=used
  • madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    2003 FEST w/goodyears. I am getting a thumping noise from the front end that I do not think is related to the brakes. It is very noticeable at slower speeds but does not go away. I do not see signs of a busted belt on the tires or anything loose. Any suggestions?
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    I wouldn't throw too many stones at Ridgeline.

It just easily won a C&D comparison. It will have a similar cost to a 4WD SportTrac, well-equipped. It will have more pop than a base SportTrac with a 4.6. And it should be more efficient, and C&D loved it's handling in particular, saying it raised the bar in the class.

At best, the SportTrac will enter this class as 3rd best, behind tacoma and Ridgeline. It may tow more with V8 power, but you will probably still lose out on handling and efficiency.

DrFill
  • marvrockmarvrock Member Posts: 1
    Hey, the new Sport Trac will kick butts, I've been driven other Trucks and there's no other though vehicle like Ford, if you want what they say gas economy, get a Ridgeline; once something goes wrong you pay a lot more, if you want Luxury, get the Avalanche or I should said the Cadillac version; they have too many RECALLS and no power.
    I tell you I owne a 2000 Explorer and men "Life is Good", I was traying to get a Navegator, now I'm going to wait or the new Sport Track, yeah!

MarvRock
  • bigrodentbigrodent Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what they are doing with ground clearance for the 2007? One advantage to the old Sport Trac model is that its frame is higher. I love my current explorer and wanted a new one but they lowered the frame. They claim better ground clearance because the differential is higher but the frame is much lower and is visible if you don't have running boards!! I hope that they don't do the same to the new Sport Trac. I know they are trying to lower the center of gravity and give a better ride but I would like to take this off-road every so often.
  • magariamagaria Member Posts: 1
    I sure hope Ford comes out with a new and larger version of the Sport Trac in 2006. I have the 2003 model and I must admit my 5' 10" frame has all it can do to fit in the "mini" cab. With the seat all the way back my knees are plumb against the dash. I cannot stretch out my legs so consequently I'm cramped all the time while driving. I cannot believe anyone over 6 feet can fit into this vehicle. Other than this the vehicle performs OK if you don't mind a buckboard ride.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    my sentiments exactly. While I haven't driven one, I did sit in the passenger seat of an '05 with the moonroof. My head, on its 6'3" body length, was touching the cab roof.

John
  • deavestracdeavestrac Member Posts: 2
    i am 6'4 and have never had any problems fitting in my sport trac. Try getting the guy out from under u and then you might fit better
  • blksn8kblksn8k Member Posts: 36
    Personally, I'm waiting for the next Adrenalin, the one Ford showed at New York. It appears all they did to create the show vehicle was to take the concept from the Detroit show and paint it red. But the specs they are touting for the SVT Adrenalin are impressive. It will have the 4.6L supercharged 390hp engine from the 03-04 Mustang Cobra, the 6-speed auto from the Navigator, AWD, IRS and a 6000 lb tow rating. With SVT suspension tuning it should be awesome baby!
  • shadow_qcshadow_qc Member Posts: 1
    Currently I have an 02 Doge Ram 1500 QC and I have been waiting eagerly for the SVT Adrenalin to become available. Does anyone have any idea what pricing will be for the SVT SportTrac Adrenalin when it does become available??? I am getting very ansy for a new vehicle, so much so that I went and checked out an SRT-8 Magnum but I would really prefer to have some what of the utility of the pickup bed albeit however small it is on the Adrenalin and I also need the convience of the four door cabin. Any input on pricing would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • nmartinmarti Member Posts: 1
    this vehicle should be great guys i'm a svt owner now and probably always will be. The SVT sports trac should be out by july of next year.(not verified) based on dealer assumption. it will range from 35,000.00 to 40,000.00 (not verified) dealer assumption. but if it's svt it's well worth it as far as honda's are concerned hell my svt focus is just killing them on the roads even the v-tec ones.when you can top-out at over 140 mph on a 4 bangger 2.0 your running .SVT has changed my thinking. I will get the 2007 SVT spots trac i'm placing the deposit on it next month. oh and by the way remeber this : FORD BUILT WITH TOOLS NOT CHOPSTICKS!!!!!!!!!
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    FORD BUILT WITH TOOLS NOT CHOPSTICKS!!!!!!!!!

LOL.....that's pretty funny :P

But anyway, whether or not the Japanese build their trucks with chopsticks or not, the fact remains that the Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier currently rule the compact truck segment. The Ranger and Colorado don't come close, although the Dakota does, some what.

Also in the fullsize segment many say the Titan is better than the F-150 although the F-150 sells a whole lot more units.

Anyway, I sure hope this new Explorer Sport Trac puts them back in the game. The Ranger is waaaaaay too old to compete with the Ridgeline, Tacoma, Frontier or Dakota.
  • biggs2biggs2 Member Posts: 16
    can a current sport trac owner let me know if a full size dirt bike (say a honda cr250) or a full size quad (say a kawasaki 360 Prairie 4x4) can fit in the bed with the tail gate down? thanks
    Ford has released their press package:

http://media.ford.com/products/model.cfm

It looks like a winner. For example, Ford made it much quieter than the Ridgeline,and it has all of the air bags, stability control, luxury features, and the V8 option, and so forth the 2006 Explorer has. The bed is also longer than before, making it much more useful. For people with cargo to carry, it is may also be much more useful than an SUV, wagon or hatchback, since the cargo is in a separate compartment (lessening noise and increasing safety), and it will be able to carry tall cargo.

The only problem I see is Ford's lack of displacement on demand / cylinder shut off technology, something far easier to implement on the pushrod V8s from DCX and GM. Based on GMs information about excellent fuel mileage from the 2007 Tahoe / Yukon, the 2007 full sized GM pickups may obtain better fuel mileage than the mid-sized Sport-Trac.
    I didn't find much in the way of photos, did you?

I will ponder this one, I really, really, want a diesel on my next vehicle. Ford would get the nod if they threw in one of theirs and upped the mpg to about 30,

John
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    redesigned Explorer, I might consider it instead of the Expy, as it may be Ford's answer to the Avalanche, but on a smaller scale...

If the Trac is based on the 2002 redesign, placing it always one step BEHIND the current Expy, then I may not look twice...

Do you know which model it will be based upon???...the current Trac is still based on the 1998 Expy, which is virtually a Ford Ranger, if I am not mistaken...
    The 2007 Sport Trac is based on the 2006 Explorer, so it has the new frame, rear suspension, interior, V8, and so forth.
  • camoguycamoguy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1993 Kawasaki 300 and it barely fits with the tail gate down.
  • camoguycamoguy Member Posts: 2
    I understand the 07 ST is based on the 06 Exp. I know several people that have 05 Explorers and have had numerous problems, rear axle, tranmissions and fuel gauge to name a few. I currently drive an 03 ST and was ready to get an 05 until I heard about the 07 coming in the spring. I sure hope they have worked out the bugs.
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/futurevehicles/2007explorersporttrac/

I am greatly surprised, the new Sportrac is supposed to be on the streets in 3 months or so, and this is a huge new vehicle upgrade from Ford competing directly with the Honda Ridgeline which just won MT truck of the year, Detroit News truck of the year, etc.

At least there are a few more pictures available now (above link) but it is hard to discern any major differences from the current look.

John
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    It is strangely quiet (Press, ads)! :surprise:

Had no idea this was coming out SO soon!

1. Love the optional V8!
    2. 6-speed auto tranny!
    3. Interior is impressive also.
    4. Tonneau cover and in floor storage.
    5. New Explorer Safety systems.

Bummed the styling is SO derivative though. :( The 4-trac version is MUCH more appealing. :shades:
  • bluejaysbluejays Member Posts: 9
    Hi All-

Even with the 2007 Sport Trac featured prominently on their website, Ford is still keeping their clear photos "close to the vest" to use a poker term. The ones shown are taken at extreme angles and/or have the vehicle covered in mud.

As of January 21, 2005 the dealer near my home anticipates that they'll have the new vehicles "on the ground" in their showroom within thirty days. He didn't pressure me about "getting on a waiting list" or any of that other dealer nonsense...and he simply invited me to call them back in another two weeks to see if there have been further developments.

If Nissan or Toyota started to offer nicer upgrades (such as leather seats) to their Frontier or Tacoma pickups, I might be tempted to look at them, too. This lack of upgrades had me briefly considering the F-150 Lariat SuperCrew...but I honestly can't justify the big size.

Ford could potentially have a winner on their hands with the new Sport Trac for people like me who don't haul heavy stuff, but periodically bulky items like bicycles, sporting equipment, landscaping supplies, boxes, bulk-store purchases, etc.

C'mon Ford, show us some decent 2007 Sport Trac photographs already!

~ Blue Jays ~
    strangely enough, the "newest" photos don't look much different than the old SporTrac. Maybe it was just a steroids type treatment to the looks. I would imagine that it was on display at LA and Detroit auto shows, you should be able to find a photo gallery from them.

John
    Hi All-

The salespeople with whom I spoke at the dealership said that the improved Sport Trac will have the technology improvements of the 2006 Explorer along with the updated sheetmetal. They also told me the rear will look much more similar to the "squared-off" F-150 pickup. The extra length in the bed might even allow it to fit some motorcycles or quad-runners depending upon size.

They gladly showed all their internal-use-only literature, but they weren't allowed to distribute that to potential customers. It apparently contained alot of "salesy" techniques for them to use. The brochures for customers are anticipated to be out within two weeks.

Lead time if you need an Explorer Sport Trac built to your specifications is running twelve weeks or so as best that they could estimate.

~ Blue Jays ~
    Hi All-

Spoke with another dealership on February 2, 2006 and they're predicting the new trucks will start hitting the dealerships in March towards the end of the month.

I'm wondering if the recent spike in fuel costs (although not quite as bad as last summer) will lead to some of these new vehicles just sitting on dealership lots?

~ Blue Jays ~
    that's a hard call... with Ford claiming 20ish for mileage, it might be economical to some.

On the other hand if they all come with the V-8 they will quickly get a reputation as a gas hog.

Personally, I am holding out til they bring in a new generation diesel and take mpg up to 24.

John
  • mapleharrymapleharry Member Posts: 2
    Blip in Sryacuse paper says Ford decided to scrap plan to build a performance version of Explorer Sport Trac. Any one know what that's about?
    yes, it is their "restructuring"--in other words they aren't making money and they see this as a luxury item on their budget.

John