Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (2007+)

Comments

• bmac363bmac363 Member Posts: 10
    Hello,
    I took mine in and they did revise the PCM program. I did not take care of my problem. I am going to take it back. I was certainly glad to see that Ford has increased the powertrain warranty! I love my ST but this worries me.
  • lariat10lariat10 Member Posts: 22
    I am looking at a sport trac with a heated windshield has anybody had any trouble with one. Ayarbo1 thanks for you comment I did get him to remove his dealer fee. Still have to the end of the month before my coupon expires to close the deal.

Thank You

James
  • hawkmultimediahawkmultimedia Member Posts: 9
    It's August. I don't think anyone's had to use the feature yet. At least, I know I haven't. You can see the pattern of the heating grid in the windshield. So, make sure you see one incase you think it will bug you.
  • ayarbo1ayarbo1 Member Posts: 56
    Also, be sure to test drive one with the heated windshield at night. I have heard that it sometimes causes reflections from oncoming car's headlights. Not sure how true it is, but better to know for yourself before you buy it.
  • blukowskiblukowski Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. The dealer only had one on the lot (mine). I contacted Ford and after it is all said an done, and after diognostics were run, it is a faulty electronic control. They are tearing the dash out as we speak. It will never be the same.
  • blksn8kblksn8k Member Posts: 36
    I have been monitoring several dealer's inventories and today was the first day that I have seen any Job 2's. If you view the on-line window sticker it will say "JOB #2 ORDER-07/31/06" in the Optional Equipment column. As best I can tell if the VIN ends in 31000 or higher it should be a Job 2 which means it will have the redesigned door panels, among other things. I am looking for a Limited 4X4 4.6 but it seems that most of the Job 2's so far are V6's. I hope to find something before the end of August which is when the extra $1000 coupon expires.
    Ask your dealer to do a nationwide search for the vehicle you are looking for. You might have to travel a bit to get what you want but i'm sure you'll find what you are looking for out there.
    I had read on another internet web site about problems with the windshield. one couple said it looked like you were wearing glasses at times when you looked though the front glass at different angles. Another said that at night when a car with the newer blue tinted headlights came at them it also looked like they were wearing glasses. It turns out that the front glass was not manufactured correctly on some of the early sport tracs. Since it is a 300 dollar option my concern was what if it were hit by a large rock 800-900 dollars to replace.

James
  • jdc1203jdc1203 Member Posts: 4
    Picked up an Explorer Sport Trac that has the cd6/mp3 autophille. Wanted a Nav but could locate one that's white and power slide back glass. Would it be possible to add the factory Nav to this vehicle? RadiosandMore sent me a 6L2T-18K931-A/AM/FM NAVIGATION which works but the steering wheel controls and cam input showed failure. I am think that the pin wires are wrong. Does anybody have a model number of the correct unit. It shows in the nav display. Any help would be great. I also noticed the plug for the memory seat has wires. Would all I need is a memory switch to make it work since the wires are there. I know the Sport Trac doesn't offer it but maybe the since the explorer has it. My unit was built in July 06 if that helps. Thanks for any help. jdc1203
  • jessenokjessenok Member Posts: 1
    I have a smokin hot silver 4.0L 2wd 07 ST. I have 5000 miles on it. I love it a great deal. Quality of this vehicle is the best that I have ever seen. The door handle that everyone seems to be bitching about is absolutely nothing. If nothing else else, its nice to rest my knee against while driving! I do have one thing a one thing I would change or tweak a bit if I could. It seems to me that the rev range for the 3rd to 4th gear on the 5 speed is too low. It will usually shift out at about 2500 even when I am wanting more performance and feel is should shift out at about 3500 to 4000. Also, sometimes I have noticed it takes me pushing the pedal way, way down to get to the opposite and bring it out of 4th gear into a higher rpm passing mode. Anyone else have this problem? Im wondering if the dealer could tweak the shift ranges or something. Im not a mechanic but it seems like something could be done. Another thing is that when I hold the pedal steady at say for example 45 miles per hour..seems like the RPMs fluctuate a bit causing a very very small lurching action that probably only I can feel cause Im paying attention and watching the gauge. Its almost as if the engine/trans doesnt know what to do with itself. Its hard to describe. Anyone have any input on this? Also, I am getting according to the trip computer, 18 average miles per gallon. Not bad for hot OK 95 plus weather running AC full time.
    My recommendation would be to go to an after market in dash navigation system. Look at the Pioneer AVIC-Z1, it has all the features of the fatory nav system and more. There is an available adaptor that allows the steering wheel controls to work with it. Let me know if you need more info.... I already purchased the Pioneer unit and i'm waiting on my Sport Trac that is on order.
    Pioneer AVIC-Z1 sounds good and I have looked at it on the Crutchfield site. Could you email me more details. jdc1203@bellsouth.net Does it come with good instructions with wire codes and what kind of adapter RF or wired? Thanks, jdc1203
    JDC, the AVIC-Z1 uses wired adaptors. I'll email a list of everything you need to install this unit in the 2007 SPort Trac. You've got mail!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...in both the post box and the Rules of the Road (link in the left margin), we strongly advise members not to put their email addresses in their messages, and not to request information sent by email. These forums are fully visible to the entire internet and we can make no guarantees as to the safety of your email address. In addition, it benefits everyone when answers are posted here instead of in email - someone else may have the same question later on.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Personally, I think it's rediculous that you can't take certain issues off line to communicate in more detail about, but I will respect you rules: so EVERYONE, HERE IS THE INFO THAT I SHARED WITH JDC

Hello jdc,

This is Aaron from the Sport Trac auto forum. For the best information on the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 go to the pioneer website and review all of the features.

http://www.pioneerelectronicscom

This is a list of items that you need to order from Crutchfield for your Sport Trac installation: I realize that one of the items is listed as an F-150 and Chrysler part but they are needed for the Sport Trac as well.

Ford Wire Harness Item #120705521 $19.99
    Ford F-150 Instalation Kit Item #120995807 $14.99
    Chrysler ANtenna Adaptor Item #12040CR10 $12.99

This last item is needed for your steering wheel controls to work with the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 and it is ordered from a different vendor.

Sonic Electronix
    1-877-289-7664
    PAC SWI-PS $49.99 the link below should take you directly to it:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5319.html

And finally, I have attached a picture of what the unit looks like installed in the 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

Enjoy,
    Aaron
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    I just picked up my 07 ST Limited last week and the best I can tell the vin # is in the 58000 series. Mine is a Canadian model. There is no Job 1 or job 2 designation. All it says is order code 240A-LMTD V8 4X4. What change did they make to the door panels? This vehicle is very nicely equipped and drives very smoothly. The mileage according to the engine's computer is around 17 mpg.(Canadian Gallons) in city driving. Havn't had a chance to take any long trips yet but the mileage should get better as the vehicle gets a few more miles on it. So far, so good.
    :):)
  • joebizjoebiz Member Posts: 1
    Would like to order a new Sport Trac but would like to also have XM radio (have it my two gm cars) any way I could use the factory Ford radio to play XM with out hanging on another tuner on the dash?? Not sure but looks like the XM Direct option only works with the older radios any one have
    any ideas??
    They added a cupped or dished out area in the armrest towards the back of the door on the front doors only. Should be easier to use when closing the doors than the low mounted handle that is a bit too far forward. Think more leverage. There were also some color changes on the US models. Mineral Gray is discontiued and Carbon (Alloy?) and Orange Frost have been added. They also added a plug-in on the stereos for an external MP3 player such as an Ipod. There is also now a chrome package optional on the Limited which adds chrome plated running boards, roof rails, mirror caps and wheels (bling-bling).
  • mickellwmickellw Member Posts: 1
    Hey. I just installed the Explorer Nav unit in my Ford F-250 and Love it. Yes, the controls on the cruise control are not programmed. You can do it by going through some menus and you'll find it. It works great. Expecially lowers my volume on the radio to give me directions. Don't by an aftermarket. This unit is AWESOME.

Hope this helps. michael_ward@wardbrothers.com
    ...PLEASE do not include your email address in your messages. We can not control who will use it for malicious purposes.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Only buy an aftermarket radio if you are interested in getting more features than the factory unit offers for the same amount of money. For example, if you drive a big truck (maybe an F-250) and think it would be nice to have a rear view camera so you can guide yourself when hooking up a trailer, then you might consider an aftermarket radio. Also, if you have a phone that's Bluetooth enabled and you would like to answer your phone while your audio automaticly mutes, then you might consider and aftermarket. Perhaps you have kids and they would like to watch movies in the back seat without needing to "purchase" a 2nd DVD player, then you might consider after market. Lastly, what if you could tell your navigation system to only show "Bank Of America" (or what ever bank you use) locations because you don't care about all the other ones, then you might consider an aftermarket. :shades:
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Thanks, ayarbo1. :) I have a new Edge on order and plan to install an AVIC-Z1, so your information is also quite helpful to me. Did you start with a regular or Audiophile system, and did you replace the stock amplifiers and/or speakers?
    Hey Michael, Did you have to take it to the dealership to program the unit? Yesterday I took mine to the dealership but they didn't have any luck trying to program the unit to work with my speedsensor, illum, steering wheel and subwoofer. I didn't know if yours just worked the start our you have the fault screen that pops up after startup once you get past the navigation agree screen.
    fsmmcsi, I started out with the Audiophiile system in my Sport Trac because I wanted the factory sub and did not plan to install an aftermarket sub. After installing the Z1 my factory Audiophile sounds amazing. The Pioneer Z1 pushes more power than the factory Audiophile head unit, and with the added sub woofer mode that the Z1 adds it boosts the factory system like you wouldn't beleive. So to answer your questions, Yes, I started with the factory Audiophile system, and No, I did not replace the stock amplifiers or speakers. If I were to do anything, I might consider replacing the factory subwoofer driver with an aftermarket sub but still using the factory enclosure.

The only additional thing that you will need is a resistor that goes in line with the amplifier turn on connection. This will eliminate an initial thump that you get from the subwoofer upon power up(turning the key on). The Ford factory amp only requires a 5 Volt amp turn on where the Z1 supplies a 12Volt amp turn on. Everything works fine, but the thump eventually gets annoying and you can resolve the problem with a $15 purchase. http://www.sminntech.com/ampinterface.html
    Update....I now have a factory nav unit in my Sport Trac. I bought the radio/nav from radiosandmore.com and they sent me the gps antenna and the dvd. I did have to get the Ford Dealership to program the unit for 50.00 bucks. Everything works perfect. I did go ahead an had them to turn on the sirius option just in case I wanted to install that unit later. It cost me $1,500.00 bucks for the whole deal which isn't bad since if books for $2,500.00 sticker not that any one would pay sticker.
  • kings11kings11 Member Posts: 3
    Hello folks,

We are seriously considering buying a 2007 Explorer Sport Trac and would like advice on incentives and the general market feel for these vehicles.

Also, we plan on using the Sport Trac to tow a pop-up trailer (unloaded 2,500 lbs) and figure that this truck has plenty of power to haul it. Correct??

Lastly, any general comments or advice on the Sport Trac (must have options, things to review during test drives, etc.) that you'd like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
    ayarbo1: Thanks again! It is details such as this which separate an OK aftermarket system installation from an excellent one. I was concerned that the factory speakers might not be very good, although the Audiophile system in my 2002 Mountaineer was excellent. I am going to call my dealer and have them add the Audiophile system. Not having to change the speakers and install an amplifier(s) will greatly simplify the installation.

By the way, who else would vote in favor of Ford making the SportTrac box a full five feet deep, or at least offering it as an option? Who else would also like to see the old Ford station wagon tailgate which swings down or out, as on the Ridgeline?
  • steven26steven26 Member Posts: 2
    Scott, Just picked up my 2007 Sport Trac Limited 4x4 on Friday Sep. 29 and I'm stunned by the beauty! Got the V8 for the towing power as I also have a Jayco tent trailer. Tows like it was a feather! Roof racks for Cargo carrier,the bed for the firewood and the cargo cage to the tailgate for my cooler of beer and you're good to go! Can't tell you about incentives as I am Canadian but I can tell you to squeeze them for all you can! Mine is Alloy Metallic with camel leather two-tone. I gasp every time I step inside this vehicle, it's that luxurious. I got mine fully loaded except for Nav. system. But if I had to pick it would be power rear window, tow package of course, tonneau cover to safe guard camping stuff, moonroof, reverse sensing so as not to back into trailer, heated windshield as it snows up here and for extra luxury but not necessary the chrome package, it makes your ride drop dead! I also got the dvd player for Saturday movie night for the girls while camping. Most important the safety canopy because you can't put a price on safety. I hope that answers most of your questions, dealer said my Sport trac is the nicest to leave the dealership ever! I also was able to test drive this truck for three days to be sure I would be happy and I am very pleased, Steve.
  • kings11kings11 Member Posts: 3
    Steve,

Really excellent advice! Only question I have is do you mind sharing what you paid for it (and incentives you tood advantage of)? I'm figuring well below MSRP, but how much.....?

I sat in one on Saturday and really liked the room.

Scott T
  • steven26steven26 Member Posts: 2
    Scott, like I said i'm from Canada so I don't know if this will give you an idea or not for yourself but here goes. We just had the friends and family pricing for everyone up here that ended on August 31, I factory ordered on August 04th and received on Sept. 29. The factory sticker price was 45,054 loaded and I paid 40,230 minus another 500.00 for choosing another Ford product, like a loyalty type thing. Remember this is Canadian pricing so in greenbacks probably less in relative terms. Go to www.ford.ca to build the sport trac because our web site has all the latest colors and options available now to order and remember our options and your packages are different in the two countries, ie: power pedals are standard and yours are optional. I hope this helps you out, everyone at work today just loved the trucks color (Alloy) and Camel interior, nobody can believe its from Ford they've come along ways! Steve.
  • brny67brny67 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Scott,

I just purchased my 07 beginning of June, I love it, it is the xlt, fully loaded sunroof, I put Nitto tires on it went to a 31.5 until they come out with a body or susp kit within 6 months or so...the msrp was 32,500 I paid 24k well worth it, I was looking @ the v8 but this thing has so much power and why spend the extra money?? XM radio is free for the 1st 6 months. I traded my 04 st for this one, it is so much more a better ride all around, going to Hatterass NC in a week or so to kick in the 4 wheel... can't wait...well hopefully you will find this useful and you will purchase one. I probably will post some pic's soon.

Take care,

Bill
  • vegashoundvegashound Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my new Limited V-8 at the end of September (having traded in my 2003 Sport Trac) and really love it EXCEPT that the alarm goes off no matter what I do. I took it back to the dealer and the service person had no clue -- the manual that came with it only gave me enough info to put it into "valet mode" -- I'm afraid to even lock it since I leave for work at 6:00 a.m. and the alarm isn't going over well with my neighbors. The manual references a "cutoff" switch under the dash but I cannot find any such thing (the dealer also thought that the system couldn't be disconnected). Anyone else with this problem or an idea on how to disable this damned thing.
    If anyone needs help, I have the service manuals and wiring diagrams for the 2006 Explorer and Mountaineer.

As I posted on the regular Explorer forum, you will be amazed, even stunned by the difference made by replacing the factory speakers with good speakers. I just started the installation of my navigation and sound system by installing all four speakers. Even with going slow and a few interruptions for phone calls, it only took 2 hours.

I bought the Cerwin-Vega IT-683 speakers:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_286.html

Thanks ayarbo1 for the lead on that retailer. :)

I bought the AVIC-Z1, camera (on back order), Bluetooth unit, and XM & XM NavTraffic units from:

http://www.abesofmaine.com/

and the installation kit and adapters from Crutchfield.

You need to connect the AVIC-Z1 to the vehicle speed output from the computer, the back-up lights, and the parking brake. As far as I can tell, the only vehicle speed output from the computer is one wire which runs to the windshield wiper system. Is that the one everyone else used?

I have not yet decided where to mount the XM antenna and the GPS antenna. Where did you mount your antennas?
  • mustangguy74mustangguy74 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone found fitted splash guards for their 2007 Sport Trac? All I can find are the generic flat ones listed on fordaccessories.com. Winter's coming along with Ohio stone-chipped roads!
    fsmmcsi, Yes the lead from the windshield wiper system is the correct lead for the Vehicle Speed Indicator.
    When you hook up your rear view camera, do NOT hook it up to the reverse(back -up) lights. Instead, hook it up to a +12volt ignition controlled lead, this will allow you to use the rear view camera when you are driving down the road. The AVIC-Z1 offers split screen which allows you to view the camera and view the navigation map at the same time. This comes in real handy when you are towing a trailer because you can always see it behind you. When you put the truck in reverse the Z1 automatically goes to full screen for the rear camera.
    Lastly, do no hook up the parking brake wire, this disables some of the functions that are available when driving. Go too www.AVIC411.com and look in the "Hacks/Mods" section for details on this, it's a must do because it enables several great features that would have been disabled any time the parking brake is not set (ie when driving). Hope this helps.... :shades:
  • jbodinejbodine Member Posts: 10
    Anyone else had electrical problems like this? Should I be concerned or is this not a big deal? Tire monitor fault warning, a/c out, tachometer and speedometer dash lights out, radio lights out, door ajar light stays lit, parking brake light stays lit, door locks unlock immediately after locking, no turn signal indicator on the inside, high beam indicator out, radio turns off immediatley when the key is turned off. This started yesterday at lunch. The truck is at the dealership now and I'm waiting to hear back from the service dept. V8 4WD Limited, 7500 miles.
    Just heard that it's the junction box and has to be ordered. Said it could damage the transmission and short out the headlights if I continue driving as is.
    jbodine, I think this is an isolated incident. I actively participate on another Sport Trac forum and noone has ever reported this. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident, but don't let it get you down, it sounds like your truck just got a bad part out of the bunch, it happens...... The only significant issue has been a transmission shifting issue that is resolved with a PCM programming upgrade that the dealership will perform for FREE. This upgrade is needed for Sport Tracs manufactured before 5/4/2006, just ask your service advisor about TSB 06-13-1.
    Thanks for the info, ayarbo1. Would you mind sharing the info on how to join the other forum?
  • bmac363bmac363 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone else not been able to resolve the shifting problems with the V8 6 speed auto transmission? Mine has been in to service 3 times, PCM programed. Service dept. has blown me off, says that is just the way that it works. It is actually worse than before because it is now sometimes trying to downshift when coming to a stop but clunks down two gears but not at all smoothly. Most of the time it does not down shift when stopped but then as soon as you start to go it then dropes down which makes the truck lurch forward.

As you may have noticed, we are reorganizing the Forums to allow better focus and easier searching when you have a particular problem or comment about any given vehicle. We ask that you check the new discussions that you can find at the Group page, linked below. This discussion will not be closed/deleted, so you can still post and search for information in it.

If you don't see a discussion in the group appropriate to your question or comment, start a new one, or send me an email, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac Group

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
    jbodine(and others), check out www.mysporttrac.com My post name is "Lil Red".
    bmac, my suggestion would be to go to another dealership. Talk to the Service Manager and explain your problem, ask him to reset your PCM. You might also request ta test drive of another V8 model to see how the tranny responds.
    Please add a section for "Audio" which will be more ideal for discussing aftermarket radio/navigation installations.

Thanks,
    ayarbo1
    Consider it done!
    Is the 1000.00 owners discount still avaliable from ford for the sport trac.

James
    I beleive that rebate is still being offered, but rebates are slightly different in different regions so check with your local dealership to be sure.
  • mi2tracmi2trac Member Posts: 5
    Anyone had any experience in ordering a 2007 Sport Trac? I ordered one on Sept. 10 and still waiting. Seventeen weeks, is this typical? It's now posted for build 1/15.

At this point I'm considering dropping the order for the 07 and place one for an 08.
    mi2trac, the order for my 07 Limited was placed on 11/14 and was initially scheduled to be delivered on 12/18. However, the assembly plant was down, I am told, due to a wheel supplier issue and I think some scheduled shutdowns. Anyway, my truck is now scheduled to be delivered on 1/15/07. Just curious, but is yours a fleet order? If so, your wait time is probably not that unusual. I would not suggest waiting for the 08's because the model year changeover is not supposed to happen until the middle of 07. However, I would suggest that you go to www.blueovalnews.com and navigate to the Ford Employee Forums. Go to the thread titled "Vehicle Locator By Ford Employees" and ask to have your Trac tracked. You will need some basic information from your dealer. If you have the truck's VIN and the dealer's ID number they should be able to check the status for you. They have been able to track mine. It was built on 1/3/07. I've received better updates from them than I have from my salesman. Big surprise, right? :blush:
  • mi2tracmi2trac Member Posts: 5
    That's a great site. I'll have to get the info needed to track the trac. I also heard that louisville assy. had an outage for some upgrades since 9/10/06. It's still a long wait, and I missed the year end rebates.

Thanks for the info blksn8k.