Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in Ford
I just bought a 2005 mustang 3 weeks ago and I want to share so far fords first year production "bugs" with you. With 250 miles on the OD, I went for my first fill up and the pump keeps cutting off. I tried 3 different pumps at 2 different stations. There has to be a problem with the filler neck. The floor heat and bi-level control doesn't work properly-stuck on bi-level. Anybody else have this?

Comments

• wifewantedagtwifewantedagt Member Posts: 2
    We have had ours about a week now. No problems so far, except for people stareing. I've read on other forums where other people are haveing the same problems as you. I don't know how accurate this info is, but, I heard that Ford had been replaceing the gas tanks, but they have stopped. Try to turn the nozzle upside down when fueling, some people say this seems to help.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    There is a TSB regarding the gas pump early shut off. Dealer should fix under warranty. The ones coming off the factory floor now should already have a fix. I've had other cars that had "premature fuel shut off issues". As suggested, turning the fuel nozzle upside down or slightly sideways usually cured the issue.

Haven't heard about the heater issue before. I'm sure your dealer can fix that under warranty, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ncorigblncorigbl Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 05 coupe 2 weeks ago and am having the same problem with the floor and defroster - it seems to be stuck on defrost. Did you get yours fixed?
  • jc_05gtjc_05gt Member Posts: 13
    Got a GT about a month ago and I love the drive and the looks I get - well you would think it is a fararri. One problem that I have is it has some dash board and driver side door rattles/vibrations. Every time I hit a bump I get these annoying vibration noises and it's driving me crazy. I'm gonna break down and bring it in and ask if they can do something but it's one of those things that will probably be hard for the technician to reproduce. For the most part the interior - even on the GT is cheap plastic, low budget. My F150 has a nicer interior!
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    I checked with the dealer 2 days ago about the heat defrost problem. I was told Ford is working on it and still has no fix. P.S. I know this is out of order(I am a male) I get asked if this car is a "chick" magnet. I say no, but I sure get alot of guys checking it out.
  • radbikrradbikr Member Posts: 1
    Well I noticed a few things, like my CD skips, the fueling shuts off and my clutch seem to slip sometimes. I did a 2nd gear burn out and it burnt rubber real fine one night, and another time the clutch didn't seem to engage and just smelt like burnt clutch, so I haven't tried this anymore for now, but it does great burn outs in first and lays rubber in 2nd around 6000 rpms, other than that I think I may have had a clutching mishap and everything is just fine, but still leery about that second burn out in 2nd gear. It could be time to look into a better system, the only upgrade was a SCT Excalabrater Flasher system, its made a world of differents with the gas pedel no more half way throttle at launch it full throttle baby.
  • juggernautjuggernaut Member Posts: 2
    What is a TSB? I can go to the dealership and under warranty they will fix it so it won't cutoff halfway during fillup? It bugs me so bad.

Jug
    TSB=Techical Service Bulletin. When was your's built? Mine was built on 3/23. They had the "fuel-up" issue corrected already.

Your dealer should have the TSB and should be able to correct it if they've got the right parts in stock. If not, it will take them a few days. It will be done under warranty at no-charge.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A TSB is a recommendation from factory to dealer. The dealer is not under any warranty obligation to do what the TSB suggests.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    How is the throttle by wire working? Can you give the gas a little blip on down shifts to match the RPMs? Is the response instant? How about dropping speed after you let off the gas? Never owned a car with that system. They have used it on Corvettes for some time. Still not sold on electric steering assist. Anyone know if Ford is getting into that?

-Loren
    Can't comment about electric steering, but the "drive by wire" in the Mustang works instantaneously. If anything, the response is quicker than the usual mechanical connection between throttle and response.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    If you are ignorant enough to do burnouts in 2nd gear then you should be prepared to pay for premature clutch wear.
  • mcd2mcd2 Member Posts: 3
    I am getting a Mustange V6 coupe built on 18 Jan05---When did they fix the fuel tank problem??
  • silvergtsilvergt Member Posts: 3
    I read in another forum that they started putting the new tanks on the cars on Jan. 24.
  • datangdatang Member Posts: 5
    We haven't had a problem with the gas tank, but we have had a problem with the cd player acting crazy. My 3 week old v6 has been at the dealership since Monday. They are replacing the cd player. My other problem is a noise in the back-end when I engage the shift from park to reverse. Dealer claims there is nothing wrong with the car. Sounds like a U-joint problem. Any clues?
    Mine was built in March. I've had no issues with gassing it up. My Shaker plays fine. I don't hear any noises in the driveline. So, in short, I have no clue what's up with yours datang. I'm assuming it's an automatic tranny?

Mine is a manual trans. It works great.

I don't know that a new car would have a u-joint issue. What's it doing? What kind of noise is it you're hearing? If the dealer says it's normal, have they given you an explanation of exactly what you're hearing?
    Yes, mine's an automatic. There is a knock coming from the back-end when engaging from park to reverse. The dealership's explanation to us is that the other 'stang on their lot does the same thing. I beg to differ with that response. I've been able to listen to 2 other automatic '05s this weekend & those cars are not making this noise. Anyone whose around when I put it into reverse questions the knocking sound & most have said it sounds like the u-joint is bad. The dealership's maintenance manager heard the knock, said they checked it out but found nothing wrong & since Ford has not posted a bulletin on the noise, there's not much they can do about it.
    Totally frustrated & disgusted with our local Dealership!
    Just got my new Mustang V6. I do have the fuel tank problem! Nothing seems to work to get the gas in except "trikling" in the gas oh so slowly. Also, at times when accelerating from a complete stop it acts as if the gas just cuts off and then it "catches" again. Doesn't happen every time though. My Shaker 1000 Cd does act up at times and I do have a "thunk" when shifting from reverve to drive(automatic Trans). So I guess I'm so lucky to have ALL the problems. I am getting nervous about owning this possible "lemon". Tell me something good here!!
    Tell you something good? OK, all those issues are minor and are known. TSBs have been issued by Ford for the fuel problem. You might try turning the fuel nozzle upside down when you re-fuel. That seems to solve the issue in the short term.

Your Shaker needs a new head unit, also known by Ford and a simple swap out by your dealer.

The "thunk" you're talking about seems to be an issue with auto trannys. Can't comment on that since I've never driven one, but be sure to let your dealer "hear" it. I think auto trannys in the Mustang are of the learning variety. My guess is the hesitation you feel is some sort of "map" the computer is trying to adjust to. You can do a couple of things to see if they help. First, drive the car hard and see if the tranny "relearns" or re-maps itself. Or, second, disconnect the battery overnight to see if the computer resets itself.
  • stang2stang2 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 05 mustang 2 weeks, and am currently having the same problem with the gas tank, it was even mentioned at the dealer when the guy returned from filling it up. It is extremely annoying!
    Went to the dealer today and had no problems. The new fuel tank is on order. The hesitation on acceleration from a complete stop was explained by the mech that more than likely my traction control was kicking in to avoid a spinning of the wheels--makes sense. I forgot to mention the Shaker problem though. I'll see if it keeps happening.
  • 68wanabe68wanabe Member Posts: 1
    Just got my GT and its super. No problems yet. Have a question on break-in period. I know there is no formal break-in period but I'm kind of old school and tend to take it easy the first 1000 miles or so...no flat out accelerations, etc. I've heard from another Mustang guy that with a car like this you should drive it like you will normally so the piston rings will seat properly. If I "baby" it now it will not respond like it really could later on. Any opinions out there on this subject?
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    When I bought my '02, I had the same concern. So I called Ford, and the only thing they could tell me was "follow the owner's manual" (gee...hadn't thought of that... :mad: )

So I ended up doing that (I think it recommends for the first 1000 miles to drive it normally, but avoid cruising at a steady speed for any length of time). 30,000 miles later, she's doing just fine.
    Most people are all over the map regarding break-in. Personally, I think manufacturing techniques and metalurgy have advanced so much over the years, that break-in is kind of passe. That's why I think manufacturers are so vague. But, as they say, no special break-in is really needed.

While I do subscribe to varrying speeds (and more importantly, RPMs) and subjecting the engine to different load conditions for the first miles, outside of that, drive it like you normally would.

I'll not take the RPMs past 4K in the first 500 miles. Between 500-1,000 miles I'll run it to redline a few times. Then, past that, It's "katy bar the door". I'll try to keep most of my driving limited to "city" driving (which by it's very natrue varries speed and RPMs). I've made a couple of short runs on the interstate. Will probably gradually increase that after 500 miles.

More importantly, don't slam on the brakes for those first several hundred miles to give them a chance to "seat" and keep the rotors from warping.

I've done this routine with all of my cars over the past 10 years. All (save one which was totalled) went well over 100,000 miles with no problems.
    mcd2,
    I'm having all the same problems as you except for the gas cut-off & catching again. Just got my 2nd Shaker Cd put in & now none of the buttons light up @ night & the speed control volume doesn't work. Still have the "thunk". Service guy says he hears it, but doesn't know how to fix it. I bet if it wasn't under warranty he'd figure a way. Today was the first time I tanked-up since we bought the car & I noticed the fuel tank problem. I'm afraid next the tires will fall off as I'm cruising down the road. Sorry to say this, but I'm glad someone else out there is having some of the same troubles.
  • johngaltjohngalt Member Posts: 5
    I drived it like I stoled it from the git go, so far so good.

The manual just says vary the RPMs. EVERYTHING ELSE is just people's speculations, biases, opinions.

"Drive it like you stole it" sounded fun and was 100% consistent with manufacturer's directions - so that's what I did.
  • ghodgeghodge Member Posts: 2
    I have a GT 5-speed. When backing up and turning I hear a popping sound as if
    the transmission cross member was loose or a rear end linkage bushing was
    missing. Has anyone else heard this?
    Don't know the build dates of those of you experiencing problems, but I know around early-mid March builds have the fuel fill-up fix and the "B" series shaker that alleviated the CD skipping problems. For a self test to see if you have the "B" series Shaker, turn your stereo on. Switch it to "AM/FM". Hold down the 3 and 6 numbered keys simultaneously.

The Shaker will go through a series of "self-tests". At the end of those tests, a number will pop on the Shaker screen. At the end of the series of numbers will be displayed. If the letter "A" is at the end, and you're having skipping problems, the dealer has a TSB to replace it with a "B" series model.

Speed/volume control of the Shaker has to be programmed. See the owners manual on the procedure.

I don't have any answers for the "clunking". I'd take it to another dealer's service dept and get their opinion.

Mine was built on 3/24 and I've had none of these issues. Guess I'm lucky.
  • spike05spike05 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have a 05 V6. The front end sounds like a 40 year old car that has bad bushings. And, it makes a ping or snapping sound on occation like a bracket of some sort is snapping back and forth. The dealership drove it and said Ford is aware of the problem and is working on a universal repair that should be announced at the beginning of May. It will require new suspension parts, possible new control arms. They are not announcing the problem for some reason. Probably because not all cars are having the problem.
  • rdsumrdsum Member Posts: 12
    I was under the impression that most automotive engines today are turned over by electric motors for a few hours so that the "break-in" period is almost eliminated. The electric motors are used at some point during the assembly of the engines so the piston rings are most likely seated by the time the engine gets to the consumer. However, it is probably still a good idea to avoid using the cruise control for the first 1,000 miles or so. The rings are less likely to take a "set" for a particular rpm.
  • stranded2stranded2 Member Posts: 3
    Help! I have a '05 mustang purchased in Jan 05. In March on a rainy morning the complete electrical system failed on the interstate. Was able to coast out of traffic without incident. Four days at the dealership they were unable to find a problem or recreate the incident. Two weeks later the problem occurred again at night in the rain and fog in Friday night traffic. My car is black and I had no hazard lights. Again I was able to make it to the median without mishap. Called state police to mark my vehicle until the tow truck arrived. Pretty freaky to suddenly be in stealth mode at 65 mph. Dealer is still unable to find problem after extensive water testing and says we should take the car back and let them know if we have any problems. Any ideas or suggestions...I am a little afraid of hitting the streets again. My luck may run out.
    If you mean a total electrical failure with no lights of any kind, not even a dome light, then the answer is kind of a no-brainer for the dealer----battery or battery cables.
    There's really nothing else that can cut off 100% of the power to the car.
    Interesting observation. My sister had a Probe that would loose all electrical and that was the problem. Could it be that simple and the dealership mechanics that slow? And yes I mean total electrical, no lights of any kind. Thanks for your response.
    Agree with Mr Shiftright....the only thing it could be are either the battery cables or the battery itself.

The service people must be a little on the "slow" side not to know this, though. If they can't figure it out, let Ford customer service know and ask them to have your car trucked to another dealer service dept.
  • stang2stang2 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if there is a web site to find out what TSB's have been reported or issued????
    You can ask that question right here:

Technical Service Bulletins

And if you have a TSB #, you can ask someone in that forum to look it up for you---they do this on a volunteer basis, but most inquiries are answered by friendly community members who have access to various databases for this info.
    Well folks, I suggested the cable/battery idea to the service department. They assured me they had "tested" both battery and cables and offered that they were unwilling to swap them out just to make me feel good. After several conversations with me they are now saying that they found moisture penetration around the wiper ports...they said that Ford(corporate) told them they we having problems with some small tabs not adhering well. When the service guys here pulled the cover they "found this to be the case". They insisted that we could no longer keep the cheesy loner and must take our car back even if we intended to file a dispute. Also I called Ford customer service and was told they would notify the dealer. I responded that the dealer was already aware and I wanted to have my complaint heard at a higher level. After some prodding the customer service person finally added that the corporate office would be notified. I found the process to be some what slow, circular in motion and completely unsatisfying. The web site proved no more helpful then "Evelyn".
  • snow3snow3 Member Posts: 7
    I am so glad that I came here...My husband gave me my 2005 6 cyl. Auto Good Friday and two weeks to the day it had to be flatbedded to the dealer...Upon putting the car on the lift and pulling the plug in the rearend to find metal shavings all over the magnetic plug and little to no oil in rearend we are now waiting for new rearend from Ford ....I have the same problem with my CD player...Figured it was my daughters copied CD's but I guess not....Haven't had the problem with my fuel tank yet...Only had to put gas in once....I like the car only wish the problems didn't look so common as these will be known as the bad year for this new retro style car automatically taking down the worth and maybe even the coolness to them....
  • snow3snow3 Member Posts: 7
    Is ut a loud thunk? Have someone you know put it up on a lift for you and unscrew the magnetic rearend plug and see if there are metal shavings and check your fluid...After 2 weeks of driving my car it had to be faltbedded from a shop because large metal shavings from gears and little to no oil/.lubricant to be found in rear end...Mine is still at the Dealer 1 week later with a loaner of a smelly Ford Focus...
    spike05, just great, :cry: I've noticed the same noise on the front end of my 05 V6. I took graphicguy's advise & my car is going into another Dealership on Monday. The dealership we purchased it from, didn't seem to know anything about anything. :mad: Their reason "excuse" was this is a new model & this is the first car they are experiencing any troubles with. Problem is, they kept it for over a week and still didn't fix anything. My second cd player is bad. It is a "B" series. Thanks graphicguy, but I already tried programming the speed control volume; that doesn't work & none of the buttons light-up. The thunk I here, when I shift from p to r, is supposed to be fixed, as well as the gas tank shut-off problem. Now I get to tell them to check the front suspension. Man, I think we got the lemon of lemons. :lemon: I agree with snow3, all these problems are detracting from what is supposed to be a cool car. I'm advising others to wait before purchasing a 'stang until all the kinks are worked out. In my case, it looks like I've got awhile to go before the pony runs like I know it can! :)
    Let us know how the 2nd dealership service dept works out.

I've been buying new cars for 20 years for myself and family members. Rarely, have I had ongoing problems when I switched dealer service depts. As with anything else, there are good ones and there are bad ones.

After doing a little bit of research, I found that once they replace your stereo, they have to reprogram it to get the lights to work. Clearly, your dealership service dept didn't do a thorough enough job to do that.

I've never had any problems when filling up at the gas station, so I can't say I know what the issue is there.

I've got a manual tranny so I can't help you with the sound you're experiencing with the automatic. Whenever I've experienced a "thunk" in an automatic tranny, it's usually been fixed by adjusting the u-joint connection. Hopefully, that's all it is with yours.
  • stanggtstanggt Member Posts: 5
    All my traction control & abs lights came on the other day so I took it to Ford. They said it was just a computer glitch and reset the computer. On the way home from the dealership they came on again. On my way back to the dealership I went to stop for a red light and the brake petal went ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR!
    A flatbed is on it's way!
  • rolson1rolson1 Member Posts: 25
    Most engines are made in clean rooms and "test driven" by compressed air. First time they run on gas is at the end of the "Line" when they are started and driven to a test area and then out the door. (think about Gasoline around sparking machines? Got the picture...no gas on the assembly floor!)

TSB's tell the service what to look for and the recommended fix for it. No manufacturer wants substandard vehicles on the street. Some dealerships leave a lot to be desired.

I must draw exception to "TSB's don't mean warranty coverage", on the contrary, there are several TSB's that EXTEND the warranty on certain parts IF the part is actually defective AND needs to be replaced. Like everything in life...it depends ;)
    I think the poster meant that TSBs are dealer options, not mandatory and not government directed.
  • cigarmanbluecigarmanblue Member Posts: 31
    Getting ready to order an 05/06 Mustang Gt. Considering getting the racing stripes over the trunk/roof/hood. Has anyone heard of any problems w/ these types of decal striping wearing away, chipping, or fading ?
  • jreinekejreineke Member Posts: 1
    I ordered an '05 GT from Ford that was delivered about 2 weeks ago. After 1 day of driving, I had a similar situation in which the electrical system went haywire. My car was in the shop for a week and was inspected for water leakage. My car had no real leakage but some signs of condensation in an electrical relay. I'm now told that there is a faulty part in the relay that is on "national backorder". You may want to see if you need the same replacement.
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    I have about 1500 miles on my GT and an annoying dash rattle has developed. It started off intermittently, but now it is constant. It sounds like something plastic vibrating. The wife *thinks* it is coming from the area of the right front dash, approximately where the dash meets the a-pillar. I wanted to check if anyone has experienced this before I bring it to the dealer.

I have an auto and also experience the thunking noise when shifting gears. Funny thing is, it is not every time I shift, so I never thought about it until reading it here this morning (I was staying out of here to not ruin my happiness, but the rattle started :cry: ). I usually get the noise shifting from reverse to park.

Also, is it normal to have a "whine" come from the rear-end? I have noticed it with the windows down and since this is my first Stang, I don't know if it is common. My Pathfinder never made this noise and I am worried after reading the above poster say there was no fluid in the rear. I'll have to check mine.
  • detwilerdetwiler Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Mustang in February and on Monday it will be taken to the shop for the second time. The dealership told me there is a fix for the fueling problem. I also have the 'knocking' noise, again the dealership told me that Ford has it's engineers working on this and until they get it figured out there is nothing that can be done.
  • stanggtstanggt Member Posts: 5
    I have the same rattle in my dash! It's LOUD! I haven't had THAT addressed yet. I did experience a "siren sound" coming from my transmission and Ford put a new transmission in.
    I'm getting tired! Since January, I've had a new transmission, gas tank, Shaker 1000, spoiler, I've had electrical problems, ABS & Traction Control Problems and NOW my vent air control doesn't work AND I'm having sounds from my right rear that sounds like plastic crunching!
    I think WE ALL need to ask Ford to extend our warranties since WE ALL have so many problems!! If Ford don't we will be in deep caca!!
    While none of these issues are anything I'm experiencing....if you have some sort of slow fuel fills, squeaks, vent problems, find a dealer service dept that will fix them. While not a scientific sample, the 3 Mustang GTs around my 'burg have none of these problems (mine included). But, if they did, the first step is to take them to a dealer and have them fixed. If your dealer can't fix them, call Ford customer service. Have them get involved.

I can say that mine has been perfect. But, it was built in March. From what I can tell, the early builds were the ones with problems (before the middle of March).
This discussion has been closed.