Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XIII

Comments

• werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    just changed mine yesterday. experienced the same deal with oil "gushing" out around the filter. would call it maybe half to three-quarters of a quart all told. oil pan was all but dry also. now, the advice i received was to change the filter after the truck had been sitting over-night - to allow all the oil in the engine to drain back to the pan. only oil you will lose then is that which is in the filter itself. will let you know how it works in about 5k miles...

oby -
    $50 to install the right angle??? doggone, man! a $2 zerk and $5 worth of labor.

kyle
    no problem with the holes lining up. no, sorry i don't have a part #. threw the box out long ago...

kyle
  • btenvybtenvy Member Posts: 43
    thnx anyway. Just drilled a new hole until I can get another one.

-jarvus
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I never noticed it. I just loosed the filter until oil start to run down the outside of the filter and into the drain pan. The drain pan is collecting the oil from the crankcase at this time also. Go away for a liquid refreshment. Come back and finish unscrewing the filter and lay it on the drain pan to finish draining.

Fill the new filter with oil, install filter, wipe down the drain plug area and reinstall the plug.

Go up and fill with oil. Start engine and check for leaks (only once in 35 years did I find a leak, but it was a huge one!).

Clean up work area, properly dispose of oil and filter. Have another liquid refreshment and check what is next on the never ending list of things to do.

I guess my final answer is that I never watch the oil gush out of the filter, I just accept that some comes out.

Mike L

PS: my 0.02 - M1 5w-30 (or 0w-30) and PF-59 filters every time the oil minder light comes on.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Liquid refreshments? haha

Oil reminder light - Im at like 3150 mls now and still no light has come on

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I had a bet with the tech at the dealers on installing 11 zerks. He could only find 10 so...I made $50 and installed the last one when I changed my oil on Sunday...

In the video on post #47 is a new Chevy 3500 dually 6.6 Duramax diesel with Allison trans in tug of war with Dodge Cummins and Ford PS
  • btenvybtenvy Member Posts: 43
    do you fill the filter w/oil before you put it on?
    I've never done that before, any specific advantages to that?

-Jarvus
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    If you punch a hole in the bottom of the filter before removing it, the oil will drain out under control such that it is not spilled everywhere.
    Fill the new filter 3/4 full before installing it to prevent a dry start-up. Not really much difference though as the filter is filled within a couple of seconds.
    Note: No more than 6 qts should be added with oil change and filter regardless of the mark on the dip stick. This six quarts includes the oil added to the filter if you choose to go this way.
    Dustyone
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Ryan,

around here Silverado Ext.cabs are the family hauler...unless you a yuppy...then the Tahoe comes in....

The oil light was reset most likely when you had it changed?....so you may not see it until about 4200-4700 miles from then..that seems to be my average.

Jarvus,
    Filling the oil filter allows the oil to get to the engine faster. If it's empty..instead of sending oil to the engine right away...it has to fill the filter..while the engine starves. Start up is the most important time for oil flow...period.

Dustyone,
    The dealer puts in 6.5 quarts in my 6.0.

- Tim
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    with all of you on the filter thing. however and
    for what it's worth, my mechanic showed me a
    trick. he takes a center punch and pokes a hole
    in the bottom of the filter. that allows oil to
    drain while you are also draining the pan. works
    for me and minimized the mess. oil light came on
    at 5500 mi. for my ride. then again my miles are
    80% highway miles.

Obyone, what is your truck, a 2wd or 4wd?

...red
    oby...good deal

filter - interesting (new!) reading here. i've never filled the new filter before installing. mechanic buddy taught me to drain pan, remove old filter. replace drain plug, lube new filter gasket with clean oil, install new filter and clean up area. go up top, insert 5 quarts, start engine, wait for message lights on the dash to go out, go back, insert 6th quart. let sit for a bit, come back and check dipstick to verify in operating range. if not, check for puddle underneath vehicle indicating forgetting to replace drain plug ;). he told me he forgot to do that once...doh!!! anyways, filling the filter makes good sense. where do you pour the oil? right down the middle? or down in all the holes too? thanks...

kyle
    Yea i know the silverado could be a family hauler. I think the tahoe is more "practical". Maybe at first when kids are small its good but when they grow up and you wanna take long trips the tahoe would best suit them. Just my opinion.

I finally noticed what the locking rear feels like. last night i was driving in some high wet grass and i put it in reverse hit the gas and i barely went anywhere so i floored it i could feel the drivers side wheel slip maybe for a second or 2 then a noise and i could feel the rear axle lock and i went backwards fine. I am glad i got this its better than using 4wd when you only need it for a second.

Ryan
    I am pretty sure the gm guy who did my oil change added oil straight to the filter. He said half a quart (maybe a lil less but thats what i was charged for) was added to the filter and 6 quarts to the truck.

Ryan
    ...I just see the Ado as a family until they are..well.....out of the house!

Family trips would be a Burb for me..

No answers are wrong....just have different opinions..

How can you think about family at 19?.....again..to each his own...

I wouldn't trade from 18-30 no kids...for anything in the world..

- Tim

Any of yawl got today off?....I decided to stay home one more day....then a big whopping 2 day week!

hehehhehhehe
    Im 20 almost 21 a little over 2 months away.

Tim i figure 5-8 yrs a new vehicle. By then ill hopefully be out of school have a house. Thats why i am thinking about "family". Gotta start thinking thats what i did for the truck. I got it and im very happy with it too.

A day off you &#*$^(#^&*$ well i had sunday monday and tuesday off. I should have taken off today but then i thoguht hmm i owe $175 for my tail light guards thats this wks pay just about after taxes.

Ryan
    got 2wd

Tim
    agree on the burb or Yukon XL, Denali is like a reg cab short bed truck...easy to drive though.

Ryan
    Thought you said the first oil change was free for whatever reason, since you went back to the dealer for filters or something...

At a friends service station, I seen the quickest way to drain oil.

1- Remove oil filter
    2- Start vehicle--oil drains in like 2 secs flat

The guy working on the car forgot to put on the new filter...what a mess...
    It was Free. 2 wks ago they did it.

Ryan
    (maybe a lil less but thats what i was
    charged for)

One doesn't get charged anything when one gets somethin for free ;)
    Oh sorry bout that

I did say that but it was on the print out (receipt)they gave me but the charge was 0.00 at the bottom. It was a verification of all the service done for my records. Hours oil and materials used (oil filter).

Ryan
    i'm glad we got that cleared up. was startin' to
    upset my whole day. heh, cryin' ryan try to be
    more specific.

Obyone, i'm a little confused, maybe even blind
    or something like that. my truck is 2wd. and i
    only find 6 zerks, 4 for the ball jts. and 2 for
    the tie rod ends. are there differences on these
    2wds. or am i not looking in the right places?

...red
    I apologize. I need to clarify myself a little bit better

Ryan
    accepted. don't know about everyone else but your
    off the hook with me at least. LOL
    let me double check on that one. Took the dealer's word on it. I installed exactly one and the dealer was supposed to install the rest and lube em up....hmm got me thinking now...If you are correct, I may be returning somebody their $50...LOL
    Quick question does anyones arm rest (bucket seat) squeak??? I always keep mine down and yesterday i raised it up to a high pitched squeak. Any ideas on a quick fix???

Ryan

Thanks
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I pour oil down the center hole (it doesn't go down the little holes on this filter), wait and repeat until the filter is full. But that is on a Silverado where the filter mounts vertically. On my wife's VW Vanagon I only go 2/3 full because it mounts at an angle.

I makes a difference in how fast the oil gets to the parts and how fast the oil pressure comes up.

My oil minder light came on the first time at 6889 miles. But, I had changed oil/filter at 600 (dino oil) and 2500 (M1) miles without resetting the light. I wanted to see when it would come on if left alone. All but the first 600 miles were highway miles (I was on vacation) and that is why it went almost 7000 miles.

Mike L
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    A curious observation: I was passing my neighbor's 2000 Suburban and noticed that all the door handles are painted the body color (Sunset Gold). Wonder why they didn't bother to paint the Silverado/Sierra door handles...
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Obyone, I have heard about this video from someone who went to see the Duramax display. I was glad to see someone post it on the Web. The sound the Dodge makes as it dies sounds like something from a Saturday morning cartoon. Are there anymore movie files that show the new Duramax flexing its muscle? I cannot wait to see one of this puppy first hand. Once again, thanks for posting the tug of war.
    I'm not so sure about that 2 second oil drain method Dean.....hey Cryin'...you give it a try first!

LOL

and for the arm rest squeak...pour some 10-30 on it...it should go away..

...did you change to summer air in your tires yet Ryan?

- Tim
    from what I understood, there are more, but the company who owns it pulled it from their website.

sqeaky arm rest-

all purpose grease may work better due to its clinging properties
    Ryan, about the only thing you could do is to open up the armrest and remove the defective spring...or take it to dealer and have them do it.
    Nope no summer air yet. im gonna catch some of that fall air for sure though.

Ryan
    sounds like your guy who forgot to put the new filter on and my buddy who forgot to put a drain plug back in went to the same mechanic school, eh?

ryan...wd40. if you don't want to spray it in there, put some on the end of a long cotton swab. may want to "pry it open" a bit to see where the hinge is first before you go jabbin' some oil stick in there...

all...appreciate the responses on "filling the filter" question.

kyle
    just pour an entire quart of 10-30 on it Ryan...will never squeak again..
    ...see..we are looking out for you
    - Tim
    Well i keep it down 90% of the time so for the time being ill leave it alone. When i get the dash looked at (probably in august when i take a vacation) ill get it checked too.

Ryan
    thought. Yea im gonna try that. I have some pennzoil sitting in the garage ill have to try that.

Ryan
    ..let us know how it works...

..Penzoil?....I'd rather use Mazzola Corn Oil!
    Pam that stuff you spray on pans for cooking?

Ryan
    for as quick as you respond here....at work.....I'd have to say you don't do very much in the way of work ace??

LOL

- Tim
    Well actually after i posted each time someone posted ahead of me so i had to reply. Also i am waiting for an email about some P&ID's for some equipment in the plant. So im kinda just killin some time till i get the email.

Ryan
    hehehehehe

Had to...

- Tim
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Tim,
    Would 5W-30 be a better all-year-around oil to put on a squeaky arm rest?

- David
    I think you are on to something here....Ryan...use a quart of 5-30 instead.

Good thinking!

- Tim
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    There will be some oil spilled out when you change the filter due to the chamber that the oil sits in right above the filter. But it will be no more than one cup or so; total that with what is in the filter and you end up with about a quart that needs replacing if you change just the filter. The amount stays the same no matter if you drain the pan or not. (Sheesh. Is EVERYONE here under 20 and have never worked on cars before?) I personally wouldn't do it, but I know many people who do exactly what was mentioned: change the oil every 10,000 miles (some up to 25,000 miles if they use Amsoil), change the filter every 3000-5000 miles.

My door handles ARE the same color as the rest of my truck: Black.

Richard
    the two tone LS black on black...

I had a good look at that Royal Purple synthetic oil...it is a deep kinda royal looking purple color...thought it to be unusual to be pouring something purple into the engine...

I think that purple would look nice if it was the color of some new type of beer...Royal Purple Beer has a nice ring to it....might go over well with the Tundra crowd...seeing that it seems to fit that yuppie mold....
    richard...
    you know, i wasn't going to mention that my door handles are the same color as my truck for fear of being referred to as a smartass - something i dread awfully. but yeah, ok, my door handle and body color match as well. by the way, i'm not under 20, but i haven't worked on cars much either. something i never got into. heck, that's why i come here, cuz at least there's one person here who's over 50 and has worked on cars a lot...you! ;) oops, there i go being a smartass again! wait, no, you can't be over 50, cuz your truck is black...hmmm. that kinda invalidates the carmine theory...ryan???

kyle
    Some people like to be radical. My door handles match my flares haha.

Im not under 20. Almost 21 woohoo!!! 2 and a half months.
    Well guys its gonna rain tomorrow im gonna go wash my truck now. Im gonna take the use only the hose without the nozzle theory and try it hope it works thanks guys for all the info

Ryan
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    how do you guys keep up?? Man, I check once a day and some of you guys have posted 7-10 times!

Ryan,
    I think you need some K9P for that armrest. Just go to any hardware store and ask for it. I'm sure they'll have some or know where to get it...
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Well, the time is almost here to order my new 2001 Silverado. I've been following these posts since Chevy Silverado II, and now I'm ready to take the plunge. Not sure I want to admit this based on all of the ribbing that our friend Ryan got during his pre-Z71 days. So here is what I'm going to order.

2001 Silverado LS, Z-71, 5.3L, ext-cab, Lock Dif, P265's w/ AL rims, Fog Lamps, Tint Glass, Comp/Temp Mirror, towing pkg, autotrac, graphite cloth 40/20/40 seats, and the outside two-tone colors are..........White & Pewter.
    Sorry Ryan, I'm only 34, not old enough to get Carmine yet.

I can order all of this for only $26,725 + tax.

I'm going to miss my 1989 Silverado when I sell it.

- David
    Everett, Washington
  • sinister1sinister1 Member Posts: 8
    The hood nostrils are non-functional on my hood but it is available with a functional ram air option.
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    Where are you ordering from and how does your price compare to invoice? I'm from Seattle and would like to hear how someone did locally?
This discussion has been closed.