Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    Those different colors were created with Photoshop. They are not real.
  • fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    I have the Titanium pics that I took at the Off Road Expo Here along with some photoshoped colors one of wich is my favorite the dark Green.
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    I'm rather concerned...

1. The vehicle will be more expensive (Toyota's seem to be lately). Hello XTerra!
    2. Back seat headrests seem minimal AT BEST.
    3. R&D?? There's only a mule of this thing rolling around. To be sold in only a month or 2? There are MANY of the new Wrangler mules!

The new 4-door Jeep Wrangler is looking better and better. :shades:
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I'm sure they've built many, many mules and they've tested them for hundreds of thousands of miles. I'm also sure they're not just testing here in the US. In fact, I strongly suspect that the bulk of their testing is being performed overseas. Which is one of the reasons that you're not seeing a lot of spy photos.

Anothe reason is that Toyota has long been known for keeping new products under very tight wraps.

You can say a lot of things about Toyota, but they're not known for shipping poorly developed products the first year.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Toyota does not want to cannibalize its 4Runner market and thus it has to offer substantially lower value in the FJ. Thus, we hear all the complaints about the rear gate/window, rear seats, & packages. Clearly, this is Toyota's answer to the Xterra which has really hurt Toyota SUV sales because it is rugged and cheaper than any true off-roader in the Toyota stable. Look for the pricing to moderate within a few months of release in order to combat the competion from you guessed it: Xterra and the New Jeep Wrangler.

The slide in the SUV prices is going to continue as the gas prices stay up and the consumer prefernces towards SUVs moderate further. SUV have been a very high profit product for all automakers as they cost as much as sedans to produce but they actually sell at a hefty premium...
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    It's good to see more than just that blue one exist.

Let's hope they're wrong about the $29,500 part.
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    No offense to anyone posting in this thread,but I'm seeing posts complaining about the lack of sunroofs,leather seats,electric rear windows,MP3 compatability,lack of 4 doors,blind spots,and so forth.Isn't this vehicle being made primarily to go offroad and climb rocks,not make trips to the mall and haul the kids to soccer practice? If anyone is familiar with the original FJ40 it was more hardtop jeep than suv and a very spartan offroader with rear seats that folded down from the side.Maybe Toyota is trying to get the best of both markets by marketing this as an suv than is offroad capable,but I'm guessing with that stiff offroad suspension it won't be the vehicle anyone would want to take long trips with.

And I can't believe there are people putting deposits on a vehicle that they have never driven and whose MSRP is still a mystery!I hope those deposits are fully refundable.The best time to buy a vehicle like this is in the summer when the price of gas will soar to near $3 a gallon or more,unless you want to pay a premium to be the first kid on the block with one.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Looks like FJ is going to give Jeep Wrangler a run for its money.

BTW, does anyone know if the production FJ going to have a folding front passenger seat, like Xterra?
    I agree with the poster who said Toyota missed the mark with the FJ.If it was more like the Jeep Wrangler than Exterra suv with a rollbar and removable hardtop/softtop and priced under 25K it would be a runaway sales success!Sure it will sell to the hard core offroaders,but the people who buy it looking for a unique suv will soon tire of it's rough ride and lack of creature comforts that they've become used to in a suv.
    If you want a plush ride and creature comforts, get a 4Runner. If you want a cheap off-roader, get a Kia Sportage. If you want a no-nonsense off-roader with good reliability, get an FJ. It's good to have choices :)
    take that Kia Sportage too far off road! More choices are always better,but I still think a convertible type jeep vehicle would be a bigger seller if the FJ was designed that way.Many people,young women in particular, buy the Wrangler for it's open air convertible versatility in the summer.An affordable open air jeep type vehicle with Toyota reliability would sell like hotcakes!Maybe Toyota has such a vehicle planned for the Scion brand in the future.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It's another variation on the Tacoma.. call it a Tacoma SUV. It's scope is limited to a small segment of the market just the way a 4WD DCab Taco is limited to a small segment. 46000 units is a realistic number as an addendum to the other Tacoma models. It helps fill the production of the Tacoma plant.

As you can see it's intended for young guys who like to play in the dirt... nothing more.
  • don35don35 Member Posts: 5
    Overall, I like the FJ Cruiser, but am disappointed it doesn't have manual locking hubs and a shifter on the console to actuate the transfer case as my '00 Tacoma has. I think the Land Cruiser and Jeep 4 x 4's are among the few left with those features. The LC is too expensive for me so maybe I'll rethink the Wrangler Unlimited.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...am disappointed it doesn't have manual locking hubs and a shifter on the console to actuate the transfer case...I think the Land Cruiser and Jeep 4 x 4's are among the few left with those features."

Some comments:

First, I doubt the current LC has EITHER manual locking hubs or a console shifter for the transfer case. In fact, I don't think the LC has had manual locking hubs for a couple of generations.

Second, why would manual locking hubs be preferable to auto locking hubs?
  • pjalnpjaln Member Posts: 8
    this landcruiser has more heritage with a 4runner,not and original cruiser in any way it seems like a lot of hype about a vehicle that seems to me to be poorly designed

1.rear cargo door that is ridiculously big something that landrover addressed in there new lr3

2.no solid axle you know like a jeeps dana 44,s

3.you cant put a plow on it, original fj40,s were a favorite as jeeps are now ,thats because it was designed in california were play comes first, work second.

4.top does not come off,like a jeeps.

5.windows look like they are chopped ,i wonder what the visibility is like?

6.huge blind spot,its obvious were that is.

7.i want a 4wd shift lever like the tacoma.

8. the jeep unlimited still does not have any real competition.

sound like i,m ragging on it,true i have waited 25 years for toyota to bring there cruiser back like the ones they send to the rest of the world this is not it!!!

paul

1990 fj62
    93fj80
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    First off, well DUH. It's like a Wrangler. A big, bad off-road machine. Everything else is secondary.

Sunroof? Um - right. More stuff to break.
    Leather? You ever tried to deal with wet leather after trying to cross a stream? Or when it's all muddy? If it were me, I'd order mine with balistic nylon covered seats on springs - no foam to get wet.
    Doesn't ride like a car? Gheez. Spoiled yuppies. Get a 4-Runner if you want all of that.

Then again, if you want to go off-road in something larger and more capable than a Wrangler, this is your toy(lol - bad pun I know) of choice. :)

(in response to the points above)
    1:rear cargo door - al it needs is to get out of the way. It's a *door*, for goodness sake. At least it's not a lift-gate that you bash your head on.
    1a: Full-size spare. Definite plus - being mounted on the door. The new Rav-4 also does this. Quite nicely, too.
    2:Then again, it does allow you to lock the diff, which is pretty close other than for serious rock-crawling. Plus, solid axles ride like crap all the rest of the time - a tradesoff most off-roaders don't want. Worlds better in any case than a typical SUV.
    3:A *plow*? Oh gheez - of all of the things to complain about. Name me one SUV that you can put s plow on other than maybe a Unimog.
    4:The top didn't come off of Land Rovers or FJs in the past. It's also a major safety concern, since side airbags and so on, plus speakers, and other accessories can't go in a removeable top. Even if you did put them there, they'd require a complex electrical/sensor interlock that could fail. Better to make it a hard top. The 4-Runner isn't removeable as well.

You seem to have a major hard-on for a Wrangler. So go buy one. They drive horrible, get miserable gas mileage, and lack most modern safety features. A lot to trade for off-road use, IMO. Toyota realized this with the original Jeeps of the past, so they made their own more civilized and useable version of it(how it all got started).

5+6: Blind spots are fixable with proper mirror placement. Or get those little glue-on inserts if you really want(like you put on trucks for towing) Also, want to talk about blind spots? Wrangler with a hardtop.

7:Um... I want stickshift in a Lexus ES - but um - oh well...

8:So go buy a Jeep Unlimited. Oh wait - you don't own one most likely and just want to armchair vent. I've driven an Unlimited and it's hopelessly primitive and kludgy.
  • waylonwaylon Member Posts: 1
    FJ WILL DEF. BE HIGHER QUALITY THAN ANYTHING CHRY/JEEP
    HAS TO OFFER.IT'S RAW TYPE VEHICLE THAT IS NEEDED IN THE MARKET TODAY.THE ONLY THING I MIGHT HAVE DONE IS MADE THIS THING THE SAME BODY STYLE,BUT THE SIZE OF A HUMMER H2,
    AND PUT THE 4.7L TUNDRA ENGINE IN IT....MUCH BETTER FOR TOWING AND PERFORMANCE ON AND OFF ROAD......
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    It helps fill the production of the Tacoma plant.

What do you mean by this? The Tacoma is made in California & Mexico. The FJ Cruiser is made in Japan. How can a vehicle made in Japan fill the production of a truck plant in California? :confuse:
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Based on the preliminary information I was really hoping that Toyota would bring this truck in at a lower price point.

The gas milage is also a big disappointment. The four wheel drive is rated at 19 on the highway and sixteen in the city.

Still love the styling but will take a harder look at the Xterra and the upcoming Mazda CX7.

The styling is what is most important to me, than the off road ability.

Congradulations to Toyota on achieving great gas milage for the new RAV 4 with the four or six cylinder.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    You should also consider the Dodge Nitro. Personally I love the styling. Keep an eye out for the Ford Edge too. It's based on the same platform as the CX7, so its a goo alternative if the CX7 turns out not to be your style.
  • vermont1vermont1 Member Posts: 1
    "TOYOTA MISSES PRICE POINT ON RAV AND FJ." :cry::cry: "
    "TOYOTA MISREADS SOFT SUV MARKET" :cry::cry::cry:
    ............WHATS' NEXT ???????????........................
    "TOYOTA LEADS AUTO INDUSTRY IN DISCOUNTS"
    Since FJ is designed to be taken off-road, are you not going to pay a pretty penny just for the styling? There are a few good-looking SUVs which will get you better mileage, inside space, and ride
    Nothing that does as much off-road. This evidently out-does a 4-Runner, which my friend can testify blows the doors off of a Wrangler other than literally crawling over rocks.

So it's going to be an amazing truck.
    Hmmmmm, since 4Runner has worse approach and departure angles than Wrangler, as well as bigger dimensions, I don't know how 4Runner can be so much better than Wrangler off road.

FJ figures to be better than standard Wrangler, and maybe close to Rubicon, which has way too much real off-road hardware

The definite advantage of all Wranglers is the ability to take the top off. Nothing beats that in warm weather. But, reliability and fuel consumption are major liabilities
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I've got a 2003 4Runner. I've taken it on mild offroad excursions. While I think it's 4WD system is among the more sophisticated, it's angles aren't great, it's ground clearance is only so-so, and the wheelbase is relatively long. I'd be surprised if it would equal the standard Wrangler offroad.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 4Runner. But I wouldn't take a stock 4Runner on Moab.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Prices Announced

"The FJ Cruiser 4x2 with a five-speed automatic
    transmission will carry a base MSRP of $21,710. Pricing for the FJ Cruiser
    4x4 with a six-speed manual will be priced at $22,890 while the 4x4 with a
    five-speed automatic will start at $23,300."
  • 25yearsofyotas25yearsofyotas Member Posts: 11
    Absolutely interesting to see the wide variety of viewpoints of people who may be interested in the FJ, and over all a very good discussion.
    But it is astonishing how many posters don't have a clue what it's all about. (For example - In what world is a Kia Sportage an off roader? It IS cheap though...)
    The FJ is intended for those who want a 4x4 SUV that can actaully go offroad. It's only real competition is the Wrangler.
    The FJ will not be competing with the Nitro, Edge, or CX7. Those are not intended as offroad vehicles. Neat cars though.
    The announced pricing is exceptional - if it were any cheaper it would be competing the Suzuki - and it's far above that in quality.
    It's substantially cheaper than a comparably equipped Wrangler, and its far above that in quality too.

For those complaining about the backseat room, access, electronic whizbangs and comfort accessories - this is clearly not a vehicle for you - you have nearly every SUV on the market today to choose from - Acura, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Land Rover, Lexus - you get the idea? do you KNOW how many "SUVs" are on the market? And how similar they all are? 4wd station wagons all. Comfy too... Probably all come with running boards for your convenience. Perhaps you should simply leave the FJ (and the Wrangler) off your list, some people actually don't want a roomy luxury station wagon but don't want a truck either. WE don't have much to choose from.

HUGE KUDOs to Toyota for remembering that there are folks out here who want to do more off road than drive on a dirt road, and who want a manual transmission without having to buy a stripped-down 4cylinder model to get it, and would actually enjoy owning a vehicle that does not look just like all the other vehicles in the neighborhood. The styling is irrelevant really, its the (re-)execution of the original SUV concept - of a "recreational" vehicle that has nearly gotten lost - in my opinion Jeep was pretty much the last remaining bastion for The Rest Of Us. Hopefully this will start a trend and more choices will appear.

Other items - manual locking hubs are preferable to auto locking hubs because they don't break. And the FJ doesn't have auto hubs, it has no hubs at all. Removable roof? Maybe. As I look out the window at the 7 Wranglers in the office parking lot, only one has taken his off in years, 4 of them have spent years trying to stop the leaks. So maybe that's not such a neat feature either.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    removable roofs are just a major hassle of leakage right from the word go.

My old 4Runner went about a million miles, the auto-locking hubs never broke. I wouldn't mind having auto-hubs as opposed to manual ones.

And I do think the XTerra can be considered a solid competitor here. Decent ground clearance and a short wheelbase with short overhangs make it pretty capable. I don't have a feel for the H3 yet, but the Toyota press release mentions it as a competitor too. Certainly H3's engine is weak in such a heavy truck - I would skip it for that reason alone.

AS for 16/19 mpg ratings, no big surprise there - the Tacoma makes 16/20 with the same powertrain and less weight. But the competition is all in the mpg cellar too, so the FJ is on target. I really hope Toyota sells every one of the 46K it wants to, because it has been neglecting the offroaders pretty badly for the last few years.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• pjalnpjaln Member Posts: 8
    pletko,you either live ion sunny california or never owned a 4x4 before yes people do put plows on suv,s or small pickups like my 01 tacoma which has a more robust front end than the 05 tacoma i know that because plows are not offered for them anymore but you could put a plow on a jeep cj and i dont mean a lightweight plow i mean a 500lb plus 6.5 meyer this tells a lot about the front end do you really think i want to go out and buy a jeep i own 2 landcruisers now and a tacoma i have been buying toyotas since 1980 when half the people on this board werent even born. i have seen them go from a rubust little machines to grcery getters for soccer moms .this new invention of theirs might make some people happy especially the younger crowd BTW i dont do any recreational 4wheeling whenever i am out in 4wd i am working,either plowing or at a remote construction sight,you can go to plowsite .com and see for yourself how many people plow with suvs....paul
    I'm sure some people strap a plow to their SUV(or more correctly, their UUV(Urban Utility Vehicle). - But Toyota decided to design their new 4*4 with that in mind and not stump-pulling or plowing. My uncle does exactly that on his farm in Missouri - with an old 4*4 Ford circa 1970(nothing at all to break on it, not even smog equipment - not one single computer, either) - and keeps his other vehicles in decent condition.

But I'm sure some enterprising young person will figure out how to strap a plow to it. It does have two tow-hooks up front, so it can in theory handle the stress.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Are they really saying 16/19 MPG? That probably won't cut it for me for a daily driver, and this is way too much money to be aweekend toy (for my family anyway.)
    Agreed. In the press releases it's being designed for the 20-35 y.o. male offroader who's going to kick the -- out of it.

It'll find 46000 of these buyers. 1500 stores nationwide that's ~30 per year or 2-3 per month.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Seems pretty darn impressive, given the level of standard equipment. I dont think options can push even the 4x4 auto past 28K or so, def. 29K TOPs the list of options isnt really that long... very competitive compared to other real off-roaders like the XTerra. Is the Wrangler competition really?

~alpha
    Some comparison numbers since I'm looking at one of these to replace my daily driver. I've got an old 4runner for offroad duty so the RAV4 might make a better DD.

I thought they were both getting the 3.5L V6, not so.

From Edmunds:

2006 RAV4

Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.5 liters
    Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 269 hp
    Max Horsepower: 6200 rpm Torque: 246 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 4700 rpm Maximum Payload: 1043 lbs.
    Maximum Towing Capacity: 3500 lbs. Drive Type: 4WD
    Fuel Tank Capacity: 15.9 gal.
    EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
    Automatic: : 20 mpg / 27 mpg
    Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
    Automatic: 318 mi. / 429.3 mi.

2007 FJ Cruiser

Transmission Type: Five-speed auto
    Displacement (liters): 4.0
    Engine Type: V6
    Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 239 @ 5,200
    Torque (ft-lbs @ rpm): 278 @ 3,700
    Curb Weight (lbs): 4295
    Recommended Fuel: 91-octane unleaded
    Fuel Tank Capacity (gal): 19
    EPA Fuel Economy (mpg): 17 City 21 Highway
    Edmunds Observed (mpg): 15.7
    Check out the torque and rpms that it generates that power. It's made for off-roading and not going 100mph on the freeway. Quite impressive, actually - that's close to a V8 in terms of output.

Compare it to a Wrangler, which is honestly, a very very dated vehicle that's being sold for thousands more than it's worth. Jeep better come up with something better for 2007-2008 or they are out of the off-road business at this rate.
    Personally, I see the Nismo offroad equipped Xterra as the best competition for the FJ Cruiser. The Wranager, even the unlimited, is still a 2 door and quite small.

I love all the old Toyota trucks I''ve owned and own now. :)
  • blueheelerblueheeler Member Posts: 2
    I already have a '78 Dodge Power Wagon, W-150. I am considering replacing my '93 Nissan Sentra with the Toyota FJ Cruiser. I do tow a small Boston Whaler. I do not plan on going off road unless it is to "get out of Dodge" as in hurricane when one hits Hawaii. There is only the Wife and I and our three dogs.

I am looking at the FJ as a every day vehicle.

As such, I really don't need or want a roof rack or a rear mounted spare. I would like More visibility our the rear quarters.

Does any know if the FJ can be had without the roof rack? I am planning on leaving the spare off in the garage or similar storage. Don't know about the vision part. Unless Toyota is planning on a later change in construction. Someone did mention mirror add ons.

Since I am thinking of removing the spare tire, does any one know if RUN FLAT tires are available in the FJ's size tires?

FYI, the Wife's car is a Hyundai XG 350L. :shades:
    The 3.5L engine for autos and crossovers is the same engine as the 4.0L engine that's in the trucks. It's been adapted for lighter vehicles. This was announced when the Avalon was launched last year this time. In essence now Toyota has one V6 for all vehicles ( when the Highlander and Sienna convert next year ). The Lexus' 3.5L's are probably a derivation of the same engine as well. I will verify but I'm pretty certain on this.
  • 25yearsofyotas25yearsofyotas Member Posts: 11
    Yes it should be 16/19 mpg, same as the Tacoma/4Runner/Prado it's based on.

Yes, of course it comes without a roof rack. That's an option and that's why 90% of all the pictures don't have a roof rack.
    Run flat tires (any brand) are causing quite a few problems and are being recalled in huge numbers. Might wanna rethink that one.

Re the engine; no, I believe the fwd engine families (F-ZE series?)and the rwd engine families (UZ-FE series?) are distinctly separate.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The 4.0L V6 used in the Runner, FJ, and Taco is FROM THE SAME ENGINE family as the smaller 3.5L in the Avalon, Camry, RAV etc. As is the 3.0L in the GS and the 2.5L. Toyota introduced 4 displacements of the same base architecture V6. This is the first time that Toyota has used the same engine family for Rear and Front (along with Four and All) wheel drive powertrains.

~alpha
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    Same engine Family yes.

The V6's on the lexus have different tunning and a different head design w/ direct injection..the toyota versions only have direct ignition I think.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Ummm, Toyota is not alone in using IFS, even Jeep does it in the Grand Cherokee now and has for a while right?

The rear is still a live axle in the 4Runner and the upcoming FJ.

The Wrangler is a unique Jeep model, and there is little out there that matches it offroad in stock form. But it is also very unpleasant to use for any other duty besides offroading, which gives it a limited appeal. Most manufacturers try to straddle the line a little more between everyday and offroad use.

But I think if you price out a Wrangler Rubicon, and FJ and XTerra Offroads, they will come up similar in price and be roughly equal in ability in the mud or off the road. The thing is, the Nissan and Toyota will be much easier to use for everything else. And much faster up the freeway ramp and passing on the two-lane on the way to your favorite OHV spot.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

My friend had a Wrangler with the V6, manual, and so on. The took it out side by side against his 2005 4-Runner with the Sport/X-Reas suspension.

Side by side - the Wrangler couldn't keep up. The combination of more power, traction control, ABS, hill assist, and so on - the Wrangler was barely holding its own while the 4-Runner was going 30-40% faster up the same grades/roads. Seen it myself. Not even a close contest no matter if it was himself or his wife with a fraction of the off-roading experience.

The new genration 4-Runner is roughly equal to a Range Rover in off-road capability, actually - just a shocking amount of improvement. If the FJ is supposedly *better*(!?!), then Chrysler needs to do some serious re-designing.

It's exactly like my 67 Mercedes I have. Sweet car, but time is a vicious and unforgiving mistress. It is a great car, but a modern Civic could run circles around it and then some.(yeah I know, but it's a sweet car that nobody else has :) ) The Wrangler is fighting a loosing battle against modern designs and technologies. When the FJ comes out, they will pit it against a Wrangler Rubicon I bet. And other than rocks and crawling over stumps and the like, the Wrangler's incredibly old design isn;t liekly to look so great anymore.
  • donzi81donzi81 Member Posts: 59
    I think Toyota is going to be surprised by the demographics of buyers. It will not be young folks willing to fork over 3 bucks a gallon for gas. I say more middle age folks will like this truck. Nice reports I've read so far. I believe Toyota has a winner here.
  • rkymtnbikersrkymtnbikers Member Posts: 2
    I am 47 and have my name in the hat for a FJ. I have owned FJ40's years ago and can't wait to get the new one.
  • donzi81donzi81 Member Posts: 59
    You're probably the exact audience that will be thrilled to own one of these gems. Looks like the wrangler is going to have some serious competition. Let the games begin!!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Like almost all new vehicles, I'm sure the FJ will be hard to get initially.
    However, after the initial rush of excited buyers, I think others will be put off by 16MPG rating on premium fuel. Probably even lower MPG if you use regular.
    Dealers will want to add markups due to very limited production of the FJ, but adding a big markup that pushes the price into the next level vehicle category just makes the competition (Xterra) look more attractive.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    "2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4X4."

The FJ isn't just 4x4s. There are both 2 wheel and 4 weel drive models.