Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I see it in photos of the preproduction cars, but not listed in the specifications.
    Is AUX supposed to be included in the base standard radio, or is it only included with the option packages?
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    If you go to toyota.com and click on FJ, you'll get an option of "build your FJ." No prices yet, but you can choose the drivetrain, option packages, and individual options, many of them with descriptions. Looks good so far
  • martyzmartyz Member Posts: 21
    "My friend had a Wrangler with the V6, manual, and so on. The took it out side by side against his 2005 4-Runner with the Sport/X-Reas suspension."

Wrong. There is no such thing as a "Wrangler with a V6". All Wranglers through model year 2006 still use the old Rambler-based I-6 engine.

"The Wrangler is fighting a loosing battle against modern designs and technologies"

First off, the 2007 Jeep Wrangler is a complete redesign - including options like 4-doors and an available diesel engine. I agree that the FJ will be a strong competitor, but don't count Jeep out yet. Jeep's main weakness is in the areas of reliability and the willingness of the manufacturer to stand behind their warranty - definitely not Daimler-Chrysler's strong point. That's where Toyota will do better.

More importantly, the fact that the Wrangler avoids "modern designs and technologies" helps it keep its place as a great off-road vehicle. Hopefully, the FJ will borrow some of that philosophy.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Sorry. Inline 6. Big deal. It still got its butt whomped by a 4-Runner other than crawling over rocks and things that didn't qualify as normal off-roading. In other words, oversized things you purposely went over instead of avoiding, just to well, go over them, like rock-crawlers do.

The 2007 *better* be a vast improvement. Ooo - nobody cares about a diesel engine, btw. Well, it should be interesting. I suspect a repeat of 30 years ago. The old FJs were noticeably superior back then as well, if quite a bit more expensive.

Now, if Jeep put out a Wrangler for $15K, then it'd be a whole other game. No options other than AC - no anything. Basdic vehicle with the understanding that you need to spend $5K on it customizing it. As it is, you spend $18K plus a hardtop, and so on - and it's not even the i-6 model yet.
  • ephodzenephodzen Member Posts: 6
    BTW, you are wrong. There are many people who care about a diesel. Do you know what one is?
  • 3rdpath3rdpath Member Posts: 8
    saw one on the road today...not as good looking as i'd remembered from the autoshow. i'm a huge FJ fan and will always desire a fj55 but i'm just not sure the new FJ will quench it for me.

maybe after i drive one i'll be firther persuaded...
  • scrumscrum Member Posts: 12
    Yes. Aux is available even on the base radio.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Eh? They're already available to the public?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    it's angles are much worse than a Wrangler. I've got a 2003 4Runner and it is a nice truck. But the long wheelbase, long overhangs, and relatively low ground clearance are such that you do not want to take it up Moab.

While I certainly would not want to commute in a Wrangler, it does have its strengths.
  • chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Member Posts: 14
    First off, the 4Runner competes with the Grand Cherokee more so than the Wrangler--that's why Toyota is building the FJ, to compete with the Wrangler Unlimited, XTerra, and to a lesser extent, Hummer H3.

I like the FJ, but I don't think I'll be in the market for an FJ anytime soon, as I have a 2002 4Runner with 4WD, TRAC, VSC, etc., and it has nearly the same wheelbase as the FJ, and I can add a Toyota rear locker if I want to take it rock crawling. The only drawbacks are the smaller V6, one less gear in the tranny, and slightly worse aproach and departure angles. I'm not sure the FJ is THAT much of an improvement over what i have for the money I'd spend.
    The 4-Runner is a nice truck. Pretty hard to beat other than rock-crawling and basically doing stuff to see what you can get away with(as opposed to normal driving on washed-out roads and in the desert and so on). That the FJ adds a bit more to this equation is a good thing. The new 4-Runner is great, but always felt a bit removed from its 4*4 roots.

My dream 4*4, though, is a Volvo 303. 16 inches of clearance and better off-road ability than a HumVee. Maybe a Unimog in second place. :) (though 8mpg kinda sucks - lol)
    "A boulder-friendly approach angle of 44.3 degrees and breakover angle of 25.4 degrees, along with a 40.4 degree departure angle, once again make the 2007 Jeep Wrangler the most formidable off-roader."

44 degrees approach, and 40 departure!!! Whoa

No good to you, if it breaks in the middle of the mountain, though :)
  • fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    I finally got my chance to sit in it at the show and I thought that the FJ was out of the picture and my purchase was going to go to the Xterra. Well that all changed back to a toss up.
    The FJ is as tough to get into as my buddies Tundra Extra Cab with the suicide mini door. But once you are in it your knees are not up to your chest and pressed against the front seat. I was relatively comfortable with about 2" between my knees and the front seat set for me. By the way I am 5'-11". So for offroading with three buddies it would be cool but for a 6.5 hr drive up to Mammoth for snowboarding it would kinda suck. So I guess if I sell my truck before March then I will get the X and if I am in the market in March it will depend on if there is a dealer mark-up on the FJ.
    Did you have a chance to see how much forward the front seats tumble? The FJ's front passenger seat doesn't tumble completely flat, like in Xterra, does it?
    I did not check that but I think that has already been determined that it does not fold forward flat.
    Maybe not now, but when it comes time to replace the old Runner (which will wear out someday, as slow as that will happen in a Runner), this will be your replacement if you want the new truck with the most similar mission to your old truck. Not the '03+ 4Runner.

I do agree that the FJ doesn't really compel one to trade in one's old 4Runner, unless it is the pre-'96. Perhaps for the extra power, but in some ways the old model is actually nicer. Less stand-out stylish on the outside, but nicer inside than the very bare interior of the rubber-floored, plastic-dashed FJ. However, the FJ has got some cojones under the hood that put the 3.4L 4Runner in the weeds. :-)

Not to mention the available Torsen and a 6-speed transmission.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• martyzmartyz Member Posts: 21
    "Ooo - nobody cares about a diesel engine, btw"

Diesel engines offer the advantage of high torque at low rpm, which is very useful in real off-road situations. I'd love to see a diesel option in the FJ, but Toyota hasn't done much with diesels lately, so that probably won't happen.
    However, the FJ has got some cojones under the hood that put the 3.4L 4Runner in the weeds.

Not to mention the available Torsen and a 6-speed transmission.

I agree. There are some definite improvements with the FJ over my '02 Runner: 240hp V6 (nice trq too!), 6 spd tranny, available locking rear diff, slighly better angles, 32" BFG ATs, FJ heritage... enough so I will be curious and maybe take a test drive. I do have 4 doors, more cargo room, 18/23 gas mileage, the ability to sleep in the back, and best of all, it's nearly paid off. :P
    Add one more item to your list: the FJ will actually COST LESS in 2006 dollars than your 4Runner cost new in 2002 dollars.

I don't know about your 4Runner, but my 2000 V-6 4WD was EPA-rated 17/20 just like (pretty much) the new FJ is. How did you get to 18/23? Is yours 2WD?

And one thing you mentioned especially struck a chord with me: the ability to sleep in my truck, which I have taken advantage of many times over the years (had a '90 before the '00). I wonder how short the FJ is - would it be possible to sleep behind the front seats, or is it too short in length? And I forget, do the back seats fold totally flat with the rear floor so you COULD potentially sleep in there?

• derail1derail1 Member Posts: 10
    Heres a question, possibly best answered by fj07. It sounds like I am in the same boat as you; I am very interested in both the FJ and the Xterra. Have you driven the Xterra yet? I am very anxious to see how the Xterra drives as compared to the FJ. I was psyched to see the FJ 4x4 with 6 speed manual starting at $22k, and it will have to since thats what you can snag a "left on the lot" 05 Xterra for right now. Of course, I would rather buy a Toyota (reliability and build quality) than a Nissan. I like the looks of the FJ better than the Xterra, but the Xterra does have the 4 doors for hauling buddies and gear. I was just curious to see what you thought if you have driven one, as I havent been to any dealers yet. I was gonna wait until the FJ hits the lots in Maryland.
    No, the seats in FJ don't fold completely flat. There's a slight incline at the end (close to front seats). I recently measured a 4Runner inside. 4Runner's back seats do fold flat.

In 4Runner, from the back of the front seats to the tailgate the length is 6 feet. Someone shorter than 6 feet could sleep in a 4Runner. But to sleep in an FJ you would need to be under 5 feet, as FJ is 11 inches shorter, and you can bet those 11 inches would be taken from the back of FJ.

However, if FJ's front passenger seat folds flat, I could have a solution even for those of us taller than 6 feet. But the passenger seat doesn't appear to be folding flat, shame! Perhaps, an aftermarket shop can arrange for that, but that's extra $$$ on top of the vehicle cost.

However, if that's the only solution which would allow 6+ feet tall guys to sleep inside, so be it. If I ever do as described above, I'll let everyone know. It's fairly simple and not very expensive (once you have flat folding front passenger seat).
    The X drives great and there is deffinately more than enough power there. The only gripe I have heard about the drive is tourquey (SP?) steering but what do you want from a short wheel based tall suv? I think the looks of the X are great and less flashy than the FJ but that is in the eye of the beholder. Oh and you won't have the whicked blind spot that the FJ has. Although when I sat in the FJ the blind spot didn't seem too bad but I also wasn't driving.
    Sounds like the bottom line is there won't be any sleeping in the back of the FJ unless you are shorter than 5'1" and don't mind sleeping with your back on an incline.

:-(

True, unless you make the front passenger seat somehow flat. In that case, I may have a solution
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Diesel engines offer the advantage of high torque at low rpm, which is very useful in real off-road situations.

Agreed

I'd love to see a diesel option in the FJ, but Toyota hasn't done much with diesels lately, so that probably won't happen.

Except all over the world. 'Yota is ready to make the plunge big time here when 'clean' diesel is accepted everywhere in the US. Big block diesel Tundra is in design and under wraps.
    I don't know about your 4Runner, but my 2000 V-6 4WD was EPA-rated 17/20 just like (pretty much) the new FJ is. How did you get to 18/23? Is yours 2WD?

I have a 4WD (selectable-fulltime w/VSC, TRAC, ATRAC). Not sure what it's rated, but I have achieved 23 mpg on certain trips (all hwy driving) with 87 octane. Lowest I have measured is 18 in all city driving, and my avg in mixed driving is 19/20 mpg. I have the stock Dunlop tires, which could be part of the the difference--if you have MTRs, that might sap your mileage a couple of mpg.
    Oh, no no, then we are on the same page. In fact, that is exactly what I usually get, how funny. I get about 18 1/2 in the city, and my best highway trips net me 23 mpg.

I figure in real-world use, the FJ would do about the same.

• 25yearsofyotas25yearsofyotas Member Posts: 11
    [[But I think if you price out a Wrangler Rubicon, and FJ and XTerra Offroads, they will come up similar in price and be roughly equal in ability in the mud or off the road.]]

Um, no - similar in ability in stock form, yes. But the Wrangler is super easy to modify into a more formidable offroad rig than the others - in fact there is not a single lift kit on the market that I know of for the Xterra. But Price competitive? No way! An Offroad equipped Xterra is $26.5 base price and 30k nicely equipped, and a loaded Wrangler Rubicon (which even then cannot be had with the level of options that come standard on the FJ) is TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE than the FJ. A base '06 Rubicon is 28k, base Rubicon Unlimited is 29k and with hardtop and some options tops 32k. Jeep clearly makes good profits from this 10 year old/50 year old design... The FJ "nicely equipped " is 23k. No contest.

[[I am 47 and have my name in the hat for a FJ. I have owned FJ40's years ago and can't wait to get the new one. ]]

Agreed! and I'm 46.

[[First off, the 2007 Jeep Wrangler is a complete redesign - including options like 4-doors and an available diesel engine.]]

The 2007 Wrangler is NOT a complete redesign, in spite of the hype. It's the same old TJ, adding a new stretched 4door (WTF for?) different shaped flares, and a new grill (I like it.) Same suspension, same WWII box body. The diesel is indeed a great idea - I would love to have a real 4x4 that gets 25-30 mpg. I wish Toyota would bring their turbodiesels back to the US, today I think they'd sell well here. The ones overseas are terrific.

In fact, a diesel Unlimited could possilby get my dollars over the FJ,even with the higher pricetag.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    I was wondering why the FJ is not generating that much buzz in Edmunds or other internet chat rooms.

The Xterra did get Motor Trends Truck of the year award and it does have one of the best engines ever made.

Looking forward to seeing the FJ in person but am somewhat dissapointed at the gas milage.
  • pjalnpjaln Member Posts: 8
    just imagine if that 07 rubicon said landcruiser on the side of the front hood, and toyota across the front grill, instead of jeep. with a nice diesel motor under the hood ,removable top and all i would,nt be in such a bad mood . BTW i like 50 year old designs, my wife is 48 and looks as good as some 28 year olds i think the same could be said for jeep ........haha....paul
    Since FJ is designed to compete with Rubicon and Xterra, there is no way that a similarly capable FJ would be 10K less. 3K less at best, imho. Most likely, the same price, especially with the dealers selling at MSRP.

23K you are most likely talking a 2WD FJ with no options. Besides, I've read the pricing starts at 25K. A 4WD FJ plus an off-road option with A-TRAC and a locking diff (check toyota.com - they already show FJ's options but no pricing yet), and you are really paying a pretty penny there. Through in a "Convenience" option, which includes a cruise control (feel like pressing the gas pedal for 5 straight highway hours?), and that's another 2 grand or so.

BTW, Unlimited Wrangler won't be renewed for 2007. So, this is the last model year, and it will be quite a rare vehicle.
  • derail1derail1 Member Posts: 10
    Check out Post #846. It has a link to the pricing that Toyota released. Says a 4x4 FJ with Manual Tranny starts at $22k MSRP. Now once you add some dealer installed options (convenience pack, roofrack, etc) it will be more like $24k MSRP, but that is still cheaper than the Rubicon. It's real close to the Xterra Offroad though ($24.5k MSRP on Nissan's website). I think the Xterra is the FJ's closest competition. I think those that want to do some more extreme off roading will go FJ, and those that will be doing more on-road driving with more friends and gear will go Xterra. I really think the Rubicon appeals to a slightly different market, more a fun loving wind in the hair on road crowd (read 'rich chicks'), and/or extreme off roaders. Both willing to pay the extra for their choice. With prices in the low to mid 20's, Toyota and Nissan will be going head to head here.
  • scrumscrum Member Posts: 12
    For me there is no comparison since you can not get a 4x4 XTerra with a manual. Theoretically the combination is possible but it is not currently in existence within 300 miles of NW FL.
    I know if you wait, you can get an XTerra with manual built for you. Very nice truck.
    let's do apples to apples comparisons here. Toyota will make an offroad package that will bring the FJ up to the stock level of the Rubicon and Xterra Offroad., It includes useful gadgets like a locking diff, etc etc. I figure a 4x4 FJ stick with the offroad package will run at least $26K sticker, hopefully not more than $28K or so. Which puts it head to head with the Rubicon's base price (maybe slightly less) and slightly more than the XTerra.

And at that price level, I think the three will be roughly equal in offroad ability. While the Rubicon has an existing aftermarket of offroad parts, it is not like Toyota is an unheard of manufacturer in this realm - I am sure there will be stuff available very shortly. It is my hope that while the aftermarket ramps up, TRD will offer a decent selection of stuff in the meanwhile.

If a fully loaded 4x4 FJ comes at less than 30K USD, I'd be very surprised. A base 4Runner is 30.5K, so I figure a fully loaded FJ would be about the same as a base 4 Runner
    you will be able to load up an FJ to over the $30K point - how high can you crank the sticker on a Tacoma crew cab 4x4 V-6 if you load it up? it's gotta be close. In case no-one had noticed, FJ's pricing is mimicking Tacoma's pretty closely, for obvious reasons (most of the hardware is shared).

Some of you guys have apparently missed the pricing announcement and the features list.
    It comes STANDARD with rear locking diff (on MT model)
    and the option packages don't take it anywhere near 30k. I can imagine if you start adding winches, roof racks, side bars and stuff at dealer prices the price could skyrocket, but that's not smart...
    Here:
    http://www.rooney.org/tlc/FJC/FJ-Cruiser.gif
    http://www.rooney.org/tlc/FJC/FJ-Cruiser-2.gif
    http://www.rooney.org/tlc/FJC/FJ-Cruiser-3.gif
    The Xterra doesn't come with a manual trans?
    2006 Xterra
    Off-Road Styles (MSRP: $23,850 - $27,150)
    4dr SUV Manual 4.0L 6cyl
    4dr SUV Auto. 4.0L 6cyl TMV
    4dr SUV 4WD Manual 4.0L 6cyl
    4dr SUV 4WD Auto. 4.0L 6cyl

S Styles (MSRP: $22,250 - $25,050)
    4dr SUV Manual 4.0L 6cyl
    4dr SUV Auto. 4.0L 6cyl

SE Styles (MSRP: $25,750 - $27,750)
    4dr SUV Auto. 4.0L 6cyl

X Styles (MSRP: $20,050 - $22,850)
    4dr SUV Manual 4.0L 6cyl
    4dr SUV Auto. 4.0L 6cyl
    Thank you for the pricing info, I haven't seen it before! Thus, it looks like a fully loaded FJ will have a MSRP of USD 27,700. This would be very nice!
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    25yearsofyotas - Thanks for posting that dealer memo. Excellent information!

bcmalibu99ls - I'll bite. I have an older 4Runner with seats that fold back and I'm not that tall, so camping in my rig isn't a problem, but I am interested in the FJ and I am curious about your front passenger seat/flat floor solution. I am disappointed that it appears the FJ won't be able to accomodate sleeping inside very well, but I'm wondering about your idea and whether it could help in the FJ's case with its not-quite-flat rear seats.
    Okay - so I went to the auto show today and looked at the cars. Of all of them, the FJ was the most dissapointing.

Why? Because they had the pre-production model not 10 ft from the original concept. And it was apalling. Everyplace that there was metal on the outside, there was now plastic. Everylace where there was glass, it's plastic.

One looked and felt like it was a solid piece of engineering that could survive a minor war and the other - it was thin plastic and all looks. Shoot, one of the bumper edges had fallen off during the show. The entire front bumper was thin plastic hardly any better than what they use for a typical dashboard cover. If you so much as tapped a log offroading - I swear the entire front end would disintegrate.

The interior was a repeat - the dash was probably the cheapest plastic that I've seen outside of an Aveo. Just sad how they made a visual-only carbon clone of the original for what looks like 5-10K less.

P.S. A Volvo V40 wagon had a longer rear area with the seats folded. Unless you are 4.5 ft long, you ain't sleeping in that thing.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Another review of the FJ Cruiser with pictures and information.
    But Seeing the real thing and the plastic clone side by side(the ropes keeping you from the original concept were only 2 ft from the thing, so reaching out and touching it to confirm build quality was easy) - it was clear.

Looks identical to the concept. Not built half as well. You'd be fooled and not know the diference without experiencing what I did, because it looks great and feels great, but for all of its off-road prowess, it's got zero ability to survive even the most minimal of real abuse.

The front bumper - I wish I could figure out how to d/l the pictures from my PDA to my desktop. 20 gauge aluminum is now 3/4 as thick plastic. The front headlights are crummy plastic covers instead of sealed-beams. The rear corner window areas are plastic instead of proper glass. It went on and on. The bumpers - those little wings off the edges - held together with plastic. It reminded me of something out of a Hollywood set - all looks and yet man it was only skin deep.

Now, I'm SURE it will kick butt off-road. But it's built like a tin can. God help you if you bump into something with it.

I'll get a picture or two up later today if I can. Don't believe the reviews - it's such a letdown from the original concept and obviously is built with cost-cutting in mind at every turn. I'd take a Wrangler XL over it for off-roading if I wanted it to survive a week. Evn my friend's 4-Runner looks like it is put together twice as well.
    in the transition from concept to production vehicle. Concept cars and trucks would be WAY too expensive to build as they are.

The question becomes: how does the production FJ compare to the XTerra, Wrangler Rubicon, and perhaps H3? Price being similar on all three, it is obvious that there has to be a balance between the hardware, the feature content, and the overall bash-it-up-edness. The Rubicon obviously excels in bash-it-up-edness, is low on feature content, high on hardware, and is fairly unpleasant to drive on the road - it is an offroader from stem to stern.

However, H3, XTerra, and FJ are all designed to be as much onroaders as offroaders, and have similar levels of feature content and hardware, so how do they compare as far as bash-it-up-edness, and how flimsy or cheap do the interior and exterior fittings feel?

The production model is always a letdown in some way (or many ways in some cases) from its concept roots, but you have to look at the market to truly judge a vehicle.

I looked at all of them. The H3 was also flimsy and ticky-tacky, but typical modern city-yuppie-SUV ticky-tacky, like any other SUV. The 4-Runner was somewhere in the middle, but the FJ reminded me of the older Ford Mustang - all looks and tons of plastic. In a 4*4, this - well it has literally as much "bash-it-up-edness" as a Corolla. Half as much as a typical SUV and not nearly enough for actual off-road use.

Check one out - if they build it this cheaply, it's going to crash and burn in only a year or two with the hard-core off-road crowd.
    Guys, that's not a production model, but an auto show model. The production models won't be available for another 6 weeks. Then you can say for sure how much was cut. But since they claim FJ is the most capable off-road Toyota ever, it can't possibly be such a fragile vehicle.

Goltgo, the sleeping arrangement I have in mind depends on 1) having a folding front passenger seat and 2) FJ's interior length. Once I take the measurements at the Vancouver auto show, I'll let everyone know if we have a solution. The passenger seat can be folded by a custom shop, but the length is what we'll be stuck with...It can really be a matter of a few inches, so we'll see

Of course, there's always the possibility of carrying a roof-top camper, but you can imagine the mileage drop and the resulting off-road tippiness...or carry a tent and sleep by your beloved FJ, snakes and all :)