Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• hugobeckerhugobecker Member Posts: 45
    Thanks - I also noticed that they didn't mention that it used Mechanical Lash Adjusters (shims on buckets) - normally the manufacturer hands out scadsoddles of tech info but I haven't seen any on the Lambda - wonder why?
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    http://www.carspace.com/jim101

OK, two albums, both have same pictures of Equus, enjoy :)
  • oldblokeoldbloke Member Posts: 22
    All of the Hyundai engines (2001 to 2004) listed in the 2005 Chilton's Asian Mechanical Service Manual use hydraulic valve lifters so I suspect that the Lambda engines do too. I'm not familiar with the term "shims on buckets" so I hope I'm writing about the right thing.
    My volume comes from the local library, I'll be keeping a watch for the 2006 edition which I think will cover the Lambdas. I've also had trouble in finding mechanical details on the Lambdas.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Thanks for the "Wards AutoWorld" link. My '03 Sonata V6 ("Delta" series) doesn't appear to use iron liners either. At 3 1/2 years, my engine uses so little oil that it can't be observed on the dipstick over my customary 3,000 mile oil changes. The only time that engine showed a visible drop in the oil level was during new engine run-in when the oil level dropped approximately a 1/2 quart according to the dipstick. Apparently Hyundai's got their linerless technology down as I've seen no TSBs or owner complaints online about these motors sucking oil.

A few observations about Hyundai's current valve train thinking: the old "Delta" V6 uses hydraulic tappets which are acted on directly by the camshaft. The tappets, in turn, act directly on the valve stems (no "rockers"). If the "Lambda" V6 follows this practice, then the workings should be good indefinitely if the owner practices sane oil maintenance intervals. Hyundai builds a very similar V6 engine for the newly introduced Optima line - the new "Mu" 2.7L V6 (NO relation to the previous "Delta" 2.7L V6 I own, other than exactly the same 2656 cu cm listed displacement. Visually, the "Lambda" and the "Mu" are identical under the hood. (I went to the trouble to compare a 2006.5 Optima's V6 to a 2007 Azera's V6 on adjoining dealership lots two weeks ago.) But, KIA's online available shop manual (complete with full diagrams - BOO, Hyundai!) indicates a low-mounted spin-on oil filter, a timing belt rather than a timing chain, and definite reference to solid bucket tappets. There may be other differences, but the overall appearance suggests the same engineers responsible for the new "Lambda" series had more than a passing acquaintance with the development of the "Mu" series, too. According to the text of the KIA shop manual, a valve "adjustment" consists of measuring the clearance for each valve, noting if and how much out of tolerance it is, and then replacing (not shimming) the affected tappets with over or undersize units as necessary. That means the camshafts and the CVVT mechanisms have to come out in order to extract the bucket tappets to be replaced. Hopefully that procedure will politely wait until a KIA's timing belt needs replacement to minimize the labor impact. I don't know that the Hyundai "Lambda" engines will require periodic valve "adjustments" (they won't if they have hydraulic tappets), but if they do, that would obviate one advantage of the superiority of a timing chain. The owner would still be susceptible to some stiff labor charges to have periodic valve "adjustments" performed at whatever interval the factory recommends and re-time the crankshaft to coincide with valve openings.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    In today’s Boston Globe the Hyundai Azera is favorably featured in an article on safety technology.

“Car makers of widely affordable vehicles, particularly Honda, Hyundai, and Kia, are increasingly making critical gear such as side and side-curtain airbags, electronic stability control, and antilock brakes standard fare in cars whose base prices range from $10,000 to $25,000. Until recently, these features were available only in vehicles above $30,000 -- forcing people to buy luxury cars if they wanted safer rides.

…Virtually all Hyundais come with six standard airbags. Its small SUV, the Tucson, starts at less than $20,000 with the airbags and crucial electronic stability control (ESC). The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated Hyundai's $25,000 2007 Entourage minivan as the safest on the market because of its full package of front, side, and three rows of curtain bags, stability control, traction control, and ABS. And its Azera sedan, also at $25,000, brings all of the above while boosting airbags to eight.

Hyundai have made ESC standard in a broad swath of their lineup, leapfrogging even Honda and venerable Volvo, which relies largely on after-crash protection, in standard safety gear.

Read more at http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/05/28/safer_at_every_speed?mode=PF
    Check this site out. The plot thickens!! ; -)
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Hyundai Azera Wins AutoPacific 2006 Vehicle Satisfaction Award for Large Cars – Also Top-Ranked Car: "The satisfaction results for the all-new Hyundai Azera prove that Hyundai is serious about selling top class products. In its first year on the market, Azera achieves not only a class win, but is the highest scoring passenger car ahead of vaunted Premium Luxury Cars like the Lexus LS, Jaguar XJ and Mercedes S-Class. The fact that these cars are twice the price of an Azera is just icing on the cake."
    I'm guessing you are wrong.
    The survey asked owners of the cars how satisfied they were with the cars they owned. So, it is not a direct comparison of one car against another, unless that owner happened to own both or many of the cars. And even then, the survey does not ask owners which car is the best car, it asks how satisfied the owner is with his car.
    Those cars costing two to three times as much as the Azera are better cars in terms of quality, performance, resale, styling, engineering, etc.
    That is my estimate, your opinions may vary.
    I'm beginning to think that the Lambda's have mechanical valve adjusters after looking at your link. I couldn't identify the models listed for Hyundai but the Kia Optima and Sephia listed as having mechanical adjusters in the link formerly (until 2004 at least) had hydraulic valve lash adjusters.
    Just looked at the maintenance schedule for my Azera's valve clearance it recommends "inspection, clean, adjust, repair or replace if necessary" after 60,000 and 120,000 miles.
    At our average 7,500 miles/year it's a toss up who'll give out first---me or the valve clearance.
    oldbloke, your owner's manual quote pretty much confirms just what I was afraid of. For owners or prospective buyers of cars with the new "Lambda" (or the closely related "Mu") engines, keep another not entirely unrelated point in mind: Both engine series use Hyundai's CVVT variable intake valve timing mechanism which, like competitive designs, is very susceptiple to oil-born particulate damage. Think carefully before running oil change intervals significantly past the factory recommendation for "normal service" maintenance on the presumption that the use of synthetic oil will justify doing so. In an ideal world the oil filter would trap all particulates. I'd very much like to visit that world someday.
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    During the past ten days, two new technical bulletins were posted on the 'hmaservice.com' web-site that affect Azera models. Both are for only certain vehicles - one is for certain VIN numbers, and one is constrained by the date your vehicle was manufactured - between February this year and (it doesn't give an end date)... :shades:

Neither is very serious - one has to do with WOT ("Wide Open Throttle") shift from 1st to 2nd being bad, which is adjusted by following the TB steps using the dealer computer programming module. If you tend to scream off the line and shift from 1st to 2nd is ragged or off, it likely affects you. :surprise:

The 2nd is in reference to whether or not the passenger-side airbag deploys - apparently in some circumstances it decides you need it when you don't. This should be noticable because the "Passenger airbag disabled" light doesn't come on for a short while after vehicle start-up even though there is no one in that seat. :sick: Again - it has to be fixed using the dealer's computer modification module.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    I've only seen a couple of these on the road (no dealership near here) but I'm becoming increasingly impressed w/ what I've been reading about the Hyundai cars and particularly the Azera, and overall am VERY impressed with Hyundai itself as a company .... it's shipbuilding, etc. For the money it's starting to look like Hyundai's rapidly becoming a "best buy" and it will get a serious look by me when my current Infiniti lease is up and I retire. Bart :shades:
    I've changed my own oil for many years and intend to use a 3K mile change schedule. Interestingly the Azera takes 5.91 quarts with a filter change or 5.49 quarts without. This is the first car I've had that didn't use close to 4 quarts without a filter change. The greater sump capacity of the Azera, about 37%, should achieve the same particulate concentration in 3000 miles as the smaller capacity sump does in approx. 2200 miles, all other factors being equal.
    The oil filter on top of the engine is a plus for convenience in changeing oil. Although I wish I could get a reliable sump drain valve that I could operate without getting under the car.
    You and I are "old-schoolers" regarding oil change intervals. ;) One of the advantges of getting down and dirty periodically is the chance to assess the condition of the CVJ rubber boots, and tie-rod joint loosenes. Of course that "advantage" can be difficult to appreciate when our own "joints" are acting up and it's 15 below zero...
    Geez - I feel right at home. ; -) We'll be sitcking to a 3K oil change schedule - and the garage is at least enclosed (if not fully heated.)
    I could get a reliable sump drain valve that I could operate without getting under the car.

Have you tried Fumoto Valve for your car? I'm an ol' ^%#%, too - and this works for me! :shades:
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    I just took delivery yesterday ... the clock wasn't set to the correct time. I am following the directions in the owner's manual but neither the hours nor minutes change when I press the H and M buttons. Am I missing something here? :(
    I could get a reliable sump drain valve that I could operate without getting under the car.

Have you tried Fumoto Valve for your car? I'm an ol' ^%#%, too - and this works for me!

I had heard of these but think I'd still have to get under the car to actuate the valve. Still, eliminating the possibility of stripping the drain plug and being able to use a tube on the optional nipple is appealing. I don't know where the drain plug is on the Azera, if it's on the back of the sump the valve would be nicely protected, as would the nipple. I came across one instance where the valve accidentally opened when a car was freed from a snow bank. For a buck extra a stainless steel clip is available to lock the valve.
    Once some time back I came across a valve which could be operated from the engine compartment.
    I just took delivery yesterday ... the clock wasn't set to the correct time. I am following the directions in the owner's manual but neither the hours nor minutes change when I press the H and M buttons. Am I missing something here?

I recall having the same problem and think I solved it by depressing the buttons with a pencil.
  • bsparks294bsparks294 Member Posts: 23
    The only thing that keeps me from buying this car is the depreciation thing. I probably will wait until later in the year when someone trades on in or fails to make payments.

This car is really nice compared to the Camry and the Passat.
    Truly nice appointments with a better interior than either of the other two contenders.

Have a great evening.
  • cruiser15cruiser15 Member Posts: 3
    You have to use a object like a pencil or something as your finger will not push it in far enough.
  • cruiser15cruiser15 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a White one with grey interior. Test drove it Friday and took delivery Saturday.

I had a good idea what I wanted to pay and the dealer came pretty close so I bought it. It was the only Limited with the ultimate package they had at the time. I traded in a 2000 Toyota Avalon.

I looked at the new Avalon and the Honda V6 but they couldn't match up with the Azera in my opinion. The Avalon with similar equipment was about $4ooo.oo more. I also don't like the design of the new Avalon; it looks like a whale to me. The Honda just didn't have it for the same money.

I haven't driven it much yet but really like the way it drives and looks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    What are you trying to link?
    Once some time back I came across a valve which could be operated from the engine compartment.

hmmm... Now THAT would be nice! :D
    Sorry, Pat - don't know how I screwed up that cut 'n' paste.

Could you delete the original message, please? (#2398)

Replying to: oldbloke (May 29, 2006 7:38 am)

Have you tried Fumoto Valve for your car? I'm an ol' ^%#%, too - and this works for me!
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    I remember that valve that operated from the engine compartment. It was almost identical to the Fumoto Valve, but it could be actuated by a cable pull mounted anywhere convenient under the hood. The problem was that it didn't "latch" in the closed position. Ther was no detent to keep it from being accidentally opened. This happened more than once, and I'm guessing the manufacturer opted for a more failsafe device or just stopped manufacture.

"Nothing can be made foolproof because fools are so ingenious." MURPHY'S LAW #66
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't think we need to delete your original post - it has generated lots of conversation that wouldn't necessarily make sense if it were gone. But thanks for giving us the right link! ;)
  • ushuaiaushuaia Member Posts: 10
    :confuse: :confuse:
    hello everybody ... i need your help

After spending enough time examining and test driving Avalon, Accord, Charger and Azera (all V6 top line) I've made up my mind with the Azera.
    I drive 150 miles daily hence, need a car that has:

1- Very low cabin noise when driving 85+ mph (specifically wind noise ... don't care much about tires, engine and body noise)
    2- Comfortable suspension and smooth riding

I need any valued feedback from any Azera owner on the above points as it was impossible to assess the Azera against the above in 20min test drive

I don’t care about the resell value (the Azera is already $4,000 cheaper which I believe will be equal to the extra loss when selling it)
    I also don’t care about fuel consumption, brand name or country of origin.

Any feedback is highly appreciated as I’m buying the car next Monday

I can share with you a comprehensive score sheet I prepared for the above cars. The comparison showed very close scores for the four competing cars so …. It’s a personal choice to go with one over the others (I decided to go with the car that has the lowest price and lowest resell value yet full of options, and surprisingly … better quality :D ).
    I noticed yodidn't drive the KIA Amanti. It's a highway car. Quiet, and comfortable. It doesn't handle like the Azera, it's a cruiser and soooo comfy. I traded mine for an Azera because I prefer the crisper handling and the extra HP is certainly a plus. Check it out before you decide. Be sure you get the full electronic traction control/management package or its just another car. There should be a few '05 new at good prices.
  • roadkingtc88roadkingtc88 Member Posts: 21
    Any body tried to get the driver's seat rails altered to allow more leg room? My 6'2" frame would love 3-4 inches more leg room.
  • roadkingtc88roadkingtc88 Member Posts: 21
    I hate just having 2 bolts hold the license plate in. Even with the sticky foam blocks, there is still too much vibration when closing the trunk. Has anybody tried to drill 2 bottom holes?
    my god ... the Amanti is so ugly, very cheap interior and very marginal performance... it was out of the competition since day one.

anyway, since you have the Azera maybe you can answer the 2 points in my post

thanks
    You can save about 7 or 8 thousand dollars at purchase time if you opt for a new Amanti instead of Azera. Huge discounts on the Amanti are common right now.
    They are not equals, but given your requirements, ushuala, the Amanti may be perfect for you.
    Use a little rubber cement to glue everything together and to the trunklid too.
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    Hello,
    I see you tested/drove some interesting vehicles.

Take the Sonata LX for a drive, it is setup to be a little sportier with suspension. A good friend of mine bought one last Oct. drives about the same as you per day and absolutely loves the vehicle. If you check, compare the dimensions, etc. they are almost the same.

The Azera is just more comfortable and is a cruiser. At 85 mph you'll not notice or feel the speed. The vehicle is comfortable, quiet, handles well and a pleasure to drive.
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    I agree, I have purchased thick, round felt stick on pads and stuck them on the trunk behind the license plate and this has softened the vibration. You can pick them up at your local Ace or True Value Hardware Store. They worked for me. JoeD
    thank you jim101 for this feedback ... the Azera beats the Sonata in the following areas
    1- More comfortable suspension (based on many feedbacks including yours)
    2- More luxurious cabin
    3- Good material .. I don’t mean like German high-end or Lexus but better than Sonata, Avalon, Accord and Charger where inexpensive plastic materials are widely used (in the cabin)
    4- It has more options than the high-end Sonata .. this is important to keep me awake all the way to work and back home

I'm waiting for more feedbacks to support all the above conclusions
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Granted but since the base Azera with no options is selling for at least 3 grand more than a fully loaded top trim Sonata. So you have to ask is what the Azera has over the Sonata worth paying at least 15% more?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

for 15% more you get dual-zone climate control, infinity sound system with 8+ speakers, memory seats, 4 additional airbags, elec. adjustable steering wheel with memory, xenon light, memory seats, advanced on-board computer, 17" alloy, elec. foldable rear curtain, foldable mirrors, rain sensor ...
    ...and don't forget the rear seat air conditioner outlets!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    for 15% more you get dual-zone climate control,

Yet it all goes into the same cabin and mixes together so it is pretty much ends up at the same temperature.

infinity sound system with 8+ speakers,

Wow that would fit my two ears. ;)

rain sensor

You mean you can't tell if its raining outside? :P

I look at a lot of that stuff as just more stuff to go wrong. :sick:

But wait, IIRC some of those are only options and/or only on the limited which increases the price by more than 15%, now your talking like 30-50% more.

The 15% is the most expensive Sonata against the least expensive Azera. If you go down a trim with the Sonata and get the most expensive Azera then the Azera gets to me more than 50% more than the Sonata.

I am not saying get the Sonata over the Azera, just that you have to weight the extra cost against the extra stuff you get. To some it will be worth it to others it won't. You are going to pay at a minimum 3 grand more, so what can you do with an extra $3,000? A nice cruise, exotic vacation, a deck behind the house, finish your basement?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

xenon lights

Sorry - halogen lights. All european Azeras have HID lights, but not available in 2006 model American model... :(
    ...or a nice Sony XBR 50" HD TV! :shades:

Yeah - sorry, Pat - I know, TOT... :sick:
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Ushuaia, it appears that you have already made up your mind and you are simply looking for validation. I am surprised you did not consider the Lucerne as part of the mix.
    Does anyone know if DRL are on european or asian models of the Azera? I'm hoping it is and the installation of a simple relay will allow DRL on my U.S. Azera. I like the visibility of DRL but burning out expensive headlamp bulbs at full power when they're not needed is a drag. Any information out there?
    hmmm... You know, if they are sold in Canada - they have to have them, so it seems like there would be some sort of way to make them work! ;)
  • johnbaxter1johnbaxter1 Member Posts: 12
    I travel up and down I.95 between Washington and the
    metropolitan Ny-NJ areas,including stopovers at shopping
    malls and interstate service stops.
    To date,I have yet to see a 2006 Azera.What I do observe
    is a good mix of 2006 Sonatas?
    Has Hyandai convinced potential Azera buyers that the
    model is that more of a bargain than the loaded Sonata?
    As of May 30 sales figures,the jury is out as to whether
    the Azera has positioned itself into an upscale niche
    beyond the 2006 Sonata!
  • enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    Why are you comparing azera and sonata. Sonata is made for midsize class azera is made for upscale class its more luxuruies with different features than sonata. I think you should compare it with avalon or maxima.
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    What I notice is that Hyundai seems to have a greater advertising campaign for the Sonata and the dealers that I checked out have very little inventory on the Azera. There are No Black Azera's to be had and mine has been on order now going on 14 weeks. I think you are going to see a much bigger advertising campaign for the 07's and dealers will have a much larger inventory. JoeD
    I agree, people !!! I don't want to compare Azera to Sonata. and i don't give a da.. shi.. whether Azera is selling well or no ... i just need to know two things from anyone who have the Azera: 1- how's the noise level inside the cabin when driving over 85mph 2- how's the suspension system in term of comfort ...

anybody can give me his real-life feedback