Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• richwoodsrichwoods Member Posts: 53
    Just hit 5000 - about 5250 now.

I did get 24.6 on a long highway drive.

Gas is STILL expensive? $2.99-$3.09 here in Phoenix.

Let's face it - we're all suckers - the gas price will never go below $2.50 - we've show we will pay the cost no matter what.

I've cut back a lot on my driving. :cry:
  • richwoodsrichwoods Member Posts: 53
    I did make a trip to Karchner caverns in Benson, AZ - put about 400 miles of hiway driving - mostly did 75 mph - speed limit - might have went 80 at times.

Pretty much soft asphalt freeway - got 24.6 mpg - of course the ac is always on. :D
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    TOT again, but we're paying $2.49 at most places here in South Carolina right now - some as low as $2.35... :surprise:
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    Check this guy out with his Hyundai Sonata. JoeD

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=66898
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    WOW 147? I didn't know a Sonata could go that fast.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    I thought stock tires always have a speed rating higher than the car's top speed.

Another example of why not to buy a used rental car?

Maybe Dirty Mary will be seen with him next time.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Unlikely that it can. According to C/D, the top speed (drag limited) of the Sonata LX is 137. Hard to believe a rental Sonata could top that by 10 mph. I think it's more likely the radar is inaccurate.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Ah, Big Brother is watching you! 1984 is here, with a camera to watch your every move!

At that speed, I would imagine the Sonata would have disintegrated in a wreck. Hitting another car, also fatal.
    What was he thinking. On a race track, with a full cage and proper tires, at least there would be some margin of safety.
    Stock car, with proper tires and no cage, perhaps a tilt over a hundred out in a far away part of the desert would be OK. My luck a gust of wind, or an animal crossing the road would total me out. :surprise:
    Well, when I think of it, 147 has to be much higher than the speed limit of the Sonata. That seems pretty high. Usually something like 110 or 120?
    I thought stock tires always have a speed rating higher than the car's top speed.

IIRC most passenger tires are rates at either 105, 112 or 118 MPH. Many cars with V-6's or 8's can exceed these speeds. You can even get tires rated as low as 81 MPH.

Not sure but I would suspect that the newer V6's can well exceed 120, maybe not 147 but more than 120.

• bsparks294bsparks294 Member Posts: 23
    Maybe that is just the way the radar is calibrated. No wonder everyone is going 45mph in a 35mph. Just kidding.
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    Howdie do,

My MAC won't open the hmaservice tabs to the following,

Azera recall?????

1. wide open throttle, no idea of what this means, but it doesn't sound good.

2. pass air bag dashboard light delay at start with no passenger... problem is air bag may not work if there is this delay

Has anyone heard about this???

If so please put some feedback on this forum's pages.

Thank you and good day
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Unlikely that it can. According to C/D, the top speed (drag limited) of the Sonata LX is 137. Hard to believe a rental Sonata could top that by 10 mph. I think it's more likely the radar is inaccurate.

C/D does a two way test average on flat terrain to come up with the top speed to counter any effects of wind. This guy may have been going down a slight decline with a good tailwind.
    137 is what one site has it listed as. Guess they set the limiter up higher. Or is that where the car hits the wall for speed. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I don't think this car was designed to travel at Autobahn speeds, though I may be wrong. Maybe you can keep up with the Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and BMWs. I would shy away of such speeds.
    -Loren
    There was the guy doing 147 MPG in Arizona :surprise:

:D Loren
  • azera25azera25 Member Posts: 45
    Apparently won best Luxury vehicle over the Avalon and Lucerne. Nice.

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub.php?menu=3&key=2006060307
    Yes, I posted a note detailing both new Tech Bulletins that involve the '06 Azera about a week ago.

Basically: certain models (determined by VIN) have a problem with ragged shift from 1st to 2nd during WOT (Wide Open Throttle) conditions, meaning you are sitting on the gas peddle. Certain models (constrained by date manufactured) have a problem with the passenger-side airbag sensor, but as I read it the problem was backwards to what you report: it doesn't come on when it should, meaning the only danger is that it might deploy during a head-on wreck if it didn't need to do so. :sick:

UPDATE: I looked back, message 2393 posted on the 29th... :shades:
    As someone else stated there could be a downhill slope at that point, wouldn't surprise me that they would set up a speed camera where cars would normally pick up a little speed. Also I wonder how they came up with that 137 top speed (most sites that I have found have it slightly less). The radar won't be that inaccurate.

As mentioned above, C/D has a methodology for testing top speed. I'll bet it doesn't involve a radar gun, but is instrumented.
    137 in a Sonata?!? Not unless the rental agency had nitro installed as an option... It just can't happen - you get to a point where the engine revs and drag work against one another and you just won't go any faster. Maybe in an Azera, but certainly not in a Sonata. :surprise:

You have to manually take the vehicle out of overdrive even to get > 110 or so. (now, how would I know that?) :blush:
  • ushuaiaushuaia Member Posts: 10
    hello everybody,

did anybody noticed the annoying overspeed alarm that triggers above 75mph ... is there anybody to help me deactivating this alarm (without effecting other alarms like door open alarm, seatbelt alarm ... etc.)?

thank you in advanced
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    ushuaia, are located in the US? I've had mine above 75mph many times (our Interstate speed limit is 75) and never heard an alarm. Maybe this is something programed into autos sold in certain countries :confuse: :confuse:
  • ushuaiaushuaia Member Posts: 10
    plwilliams .. i'm living in greece, i think you're right because my Azera is 3.3l while it's 3.8 in the state and canada :cry:
    does this mean that you're not going to help ... the car is supper but the alarm hypnotises me on the highway ...
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to disable it.
  • hugobeckerhugobecker Member Posts: 45
    Could it be a 'trip computer' setting? I know the Germans have settable speed 'reminders' using their trip computers (in Audi's and BMWs, IIRC).
    If you live in Canada, it is required by law I believe.

It can easily be disabled, though - there is a post somewhere that somebody mentioned it was disabled by the Hyundai service mechanic, but as I recall it didn't say exactly how.

You might want to search back and ask the person that posted it... :shades:
    Maybe you should write a letter to Car & Driver and tell them they are lying when they say they clocked a '06 Sonata LX at 137 mph (drag-limited). And the guy with the rental was caught by radar at 147. That one I find hard to believe.

What I meant is that I thought all manufacturers of cars would install tires at the factory which would have a speed rating exceeding the car's designed top speed.
    Maybe they did it the old fashioned way: stopwatch over a measured course?
    What I meant is that I thought all manufacturers of cars would install tires at the factory which would have a speed rating exceeding the car's designed top speed.

You would think but unless you're buying a high priced high performance car you most likely don't have tires that can hold up to high speeds. Since the price of tires skyrockets with higher speed ratings most manufacturers stay under the 125 range. I would really stay under 100 with any factory stock tire.

Well, anything is possible. I just seriously doubt that without some special equipment a stock Sonata will do that - at least not with the OEM tires and be safe. :confuse:
    Not only not safe, I'll bet his fuel economy was terrible! ;)
    I'd be willing to bet that all manufacturers of cars do install tires at the factory which have a speed rating exceeding the car's designed top speed to reduce the chance of being held liable for negligence in any lawsuits that might be brought involving injuries resulting from accidents involving tire failure at speeds above the tire's speed rating in those manufacturer's cars.
    Those lawsuits could be for injuries even to the negligent driver (for going too fast) and/or from non-negligent passengers or people in other cars or pedestrians. Deep pockets is what lawyers go after even if the negligence percentage is small (so long as the injuries are severe).
    Make sense? What's your guess everyone?
    And I'll bet too that if manufacturers put on tires with under 125 mph speed ratings its because their cars won't go that fast so their lawyers said the tires were ok.
    Take a look at some new cars and their tires' speed ratings. Can anyone find an original equipment tire that is speed rated lower than the car's top speed capability?

I think I'll keep it under 100 too. That's a good idea even with (99Y) tires rated for speeds above 186 mph... unless you are on a racetrack.
    I'd be willing to bet that all manufacturers of cars do install tires at the factory which have a speed rating exceeding the car's designed top speed to reduce the chance of being held liable for negligence in any lawsuits

Well since you would have to be going at least 66% over the speed limit the manufacturer would have a very limited liability with that regards.

If the manufacturer knew or should have known that some of the drivers of their cars would be exceeding the limits of the original equipment tires, then the manufacturers could be held strictly liable.
    If a Sonata goes out of control because of a blowout at 147 or 137 or 120 or any speed above the legal limit, and a busload of kids goes over a cliff as a result, and the manufacturer only put 81 mph rated tires on the car to save a few dollars, a jury might award millions and millions compensatory damages for the injuries/deaths AND maybe hundreds of millions in punitive damages.
    Change the numbers if you want, but I think most of you get the idea, right?
    Any thought of limited liability would be little comfort to the loser of that lawsuit.
    So, it would be smarter for Hyundai to put an adequate speed rated tire on their Sonata to begin with.
    1) They use Michelin tires, which are far better than the cheapo tires found on most cars sold new.

2) The more you think of it, isn't that speed hard to believe?

3) There is no place in America with a speed limit over 100MPH.

4) They can sue for any reason they want, but winning is another story.

5) A car tire can blow out for numerous reasons.

6) A tire could be under or over inflated by more than 6 PSI which is not good.

7) Hyundai can not nanny every idiot in the World. If someone does take out a school bus, or crash into a hundred people, I am sure in some strange way, a lawyer will find Hyundai at fault. Every company in the World has an army of lawyers and a million cases going on. Oh well, what can ya do.

Think about the drag, the HP and such now.... 147 MPH seems a bit much. Steep downhill with a tail wind??? The Mitsubishi 3000 was rated up to 160 MPH, I THINK, but that was the twin-blown 300HP version and a sports car body. Wish I had my old Stealth... well sometime I do. It was the base one though.
    -Loren
    No doubt - they would be found liable if they did. Unscrupulous lawyers don't care if the person was going 220% of the speed limit! They were still driving on tire that didn't meet the requirement of the top speed capable...
    Well, I guess you missed my point entirely.
    My point was if the tire blew because it was not rated up to the car's top speed it does not matter whether the driver was breaking a speed limit or if he under- or over-inflated his tires a few pounds.
    Installing tires that are safe to the top speed of the car... is that over-protective to consumers?

But yes, 147 seems unattainable in a Sonata to me too. I'd have guessed the drag limited top speed was around 130.

(Generally, in a suit decided on strict liability, fault or negligence of the manufacturer or the driver is not an issue. If injury occurs because of a defective product, the maker will likely lose even if it was not the carmaker's fault. The (easy) question is whether under-rated tires made the car defective. But a punitive award would require showing the manufacturer's naughty behavior.)
  • motortopiamotortopia Member Posts: 4
    Fountain Valley, CA - June 3, 2006: Forbes.com has named the Hyundai Azera 'Best Luxurious Car for a Nonluxury Price' in the 2006 "Best Cars for the Bucks" list. Forbes.com editors praised the Azera's powerful engine, styling, interior volume and other standard upscale amenities, offered at a sticker price well below other premium brands.

"Azera is our flagship - with segment-leading standard safety technologies like Electronic Stability Control and eight airbags, a clean, fuel-efficient, powerful 3.8L V6 engine, and a bigger passenger cabin than the BMW 760i," said John Krafcik, vice president of product development and strategic planning, Hyundai Motor America. "This recognition from Forbes.com, along with AutoPacific recently awarding Azera the Vehicle Satisfaction Award for a large car, demonstrates we're succeeding in raising the bar for value for customers in all vehicle segments."

Starting at under $25,000, the Azera offers the most standard safety technologies in its class, including eight airbags and Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System. The vehicle features a powerful 263-horsepower, 3.8-liter DOHC V6 engine, and other luxurious appointments such as dual-zone climate control, leather interior and a six-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system with MP3 capabilities. Azera buyers also receive 24-hour roadside assistance coverage at no extra charge for five years

In compiling this year's list of the best deals, the editors at Forbes.com evaluated vehicles based on sticker price and the level of power, comfort, safety and accident-avoidance technology, reliability and build quality.

The Toyota Avalon and Buick Lucerne CXL were also ranked second and third respectively as Best Luxurious Car for a Nonluxury Price. Other vehicles recognized by Forbes.com included: Best Car for the Bucks Overall - Honda Civic · Best Pickup for the Bucks: Ford F-150 · Best SUV for the Bucks: Toyota RAV4 · Best Convertible for the Bucks: Mazda MX-5 Miata · Best Deal on a Luxury Car: BMW 3 Series · Best Premium Vehicle for the Bucks: Acura RL · Best Bargain Supercar: Chevrolet Corvette Z06

link title
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Ooohh nooooo he probably got about 30 mpg, after all he was driving on the highway not the city streets.. do you think??? ;);) would you believe, 13 mpg how about 3mpg ????
    Peddle on the floor in top gear (not overdrive) = probably 5 or 6 MPG. It definitely could be lower, though...

You reach a point of diminishing returns at about 65MPH.

At max speed, you are feeding it as much as it will take!
  • enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    Hyundai Azera won the most luxuries car award thats really good I bet people did not expect Hyundai to get this award. That guy was going 147 mph thats really cool.
    That guy was going 147 mph thats really cool.

Cool? I think it was really stupid! :(
    The Azera rides on V-Rated tires. Info on speed ratings can be found here. The V-rating equates to 150 MPH. Heck if I know if it'll go that fast, I don't even think I've 'hit the ton' in it yet (and woe be unto me if She Who Must Be Obeyed ever suspected me of attempting a Land Speed Record in her Azera ; -).
    Sorry but as long as the car is outfitted for reasonable and prudent use there is no liability to the manufacturer. If the court says speeds above 120 MPH is not reasonable and prudent then the manufacturer is not liable for a blowout at 147MPH because the tires were rated at 125MPH. Also it would be argued that since the top speed in the US is 75 MPH that 125MPH tires are more than sufficient.

Using an item in a grossly reckless way (like driving at 130+MPH) relieves the manufacturer from liability.

Any thought of limited liability would be little comfort to the loser of that lawsuit.

That lawsuit would most likely be lost (either originally or in appeal) by the ones who brought it up.

The Azera rides on V-Rated tires.

Do you have a link to this? Have you checked the tire for its rating? If it is V rated it will have a V on it.

The V-rating equates to 150 MPH.

Its actually 149 (yeah big difference) and its usually recommended not to exceed 85-90% of the tires speed rating. So with a V rated tire you shouldn't go more than 134 MPH.

So, if a car has stability control, and I enter a 30 MPH turn at 70 MPH and lose control, I can sue the company which made the car. I doubt that. Man's gotta know his limitations.

Now, if the case went to court in California, it is a toss up. :confuse: Seems the juries in the cities will award huge sums of money for anything, but you can also walk on murder charges.

Come to think of it, there is a recall on Sonata for stability control dated back in 2005. Not nice, when it doesn't play nice. Not sure I really trust the device. Anyone know who manufactures the stability control used on Hyundai cars?
    I test-drove one on Wednesday afternoon - Michelin V-rated 235/55VR17 tires... :shades:
    . . . and the Micehlins are 235/55 R 17 98V.