Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292

Ricwhite, I'm not going to address every one of the birdshot pellets you've scattered as evidence . . . you betray your lack of objectivity . . .

At its core, your posts can be read as "I bought Hyundai's vaguely worded brochure hype about 'class-leading safety,' but the crash test scores turned out to be a mixed bag instead (although the automaker moved decisively to improve them at once), so I'm gonna trash the carmaker to anyone who'll listen." Sorry, but I can't escape the impression that your whole series of posts is simply a rant in more elaborate language.

Bottom line: If you don't trust it, sell it.

I Lack objectivity? Birdshot evidence? LOL I put but in black and white the actual test results information including links and documentation. Repeat:

Summary of 2006 NHTSA Frontal Crash Tests

Summary of 2006 IIHS Azera Side Impact Crash Results

And that is "birdshot evidence" and "not objective?" Hmmm. . . okay.

My point is that the Azera was touted as "world class" and "class leading" in safety AND press releases by Hyundai back in December indicated, and I quote, "the 2006 Azera is projected to perform at a five star level in all National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) frontal and side impact testing." Thus my expectations were set by Hyundai themselves.

Link to Hyundai Press release

And now that the tests indicate "class bottom" in frontal crash and less than stellar side impact results, you don't think I have a reasonable right to be concerned?

Although I like the Azera and just about everything about it is great, I have a right to express my displeasure in what I view as important safety issues with the car. My expectations were not met for safety with the Azera.

Your advice "if you don't trust it, sell it" is fine and dandy, except that I'm on a 27 month lease.

Instead of attacking the credibility of the crash data or my character, a better response would have been to acknowledge the concern but to just say that it is not important to you. Fine. To each his own. I can accept that. People have different priorities and value different things in an automobile. For me, safety is an important concern.
    I think we all are sick of all the whining going on here and the ridiculous reasoning behind it. It is almost as if 'ol RW is trying to build up his nerve to file an equally ridiculous law suit against Hyundai, but deep down even he knows he is tilting at windmills. Give it up Ric.

-----

I think we all are sick of all the whining going on here and the ridiculous reasoning behind it.

Presenting crash test data on the Azera and expressing displeasure in the results is not "whining." There is no "ridiculous reasoning" involved.

It is almost as if 'ol RW is trying to build up his nerve to file an equally ridiculous law suit against Hyundai

Law suit? I never stated anything about a law suit nor given the impression that I would ever consider such a thing. And "I" am being labeled "ridicuous?"

Give it up Ric

Give what up? All I did is present crash test data and express my displeasure in the results. If those results don't bother you, that's fine with me. But let's not attack character and suggest ridiculous motivations of mine. Just say something like:

"I don't really agree with the test data and it doesn't bother me anyway. If it bothers ricwhite, so be it, but I think the Azera is safe enough for me and I'm pleased with it. "

Is that really difficult to do? I'm not forcing anyone to feel the same as I do, now am I?
  • hugobeckerhugobecker Member Posts: 45
    Ric if crash test results are the sole purpose of your life - why the heck did you lease the Hyundai before you saw the results? Get a life - or as the progressives say MoveOn. Sheesh.
    Ric if crash test results are the sole purpose of your life - why the heck did you lease the Hyundai before you saw the results? Get a life - or as the progressives say MoveOn. Sheesh.

Wow, this is almost like being in a religion forum.

No, crash tests are not the "sole purpose of my life", but I do feel they are important.

why the heck did you lease the Hyundai before you saw the results?

I didn't expect Hyundai's information and preliminary tests to be wrong. It's already almost July and we still don't even have the NHTSA side crash tests or the IIHS rear tests completed yet. The 2007 model will probably be out before all the 2006 tests are done.

It appears that if anything "negative" is presented about the Azera, the first thing that happens is that the information is discredited. Then when documentation is provided, the second thing that happens is that the person who posted the information is ridiculed and discredited.

I know that nobody wants their Azera disrespected, but I believe I'm bringing up a valid concern. And I DO have a life, thank you very much ;) Sorry you're offended.
    . . .just amazed and perplexed. Personally, I'm more interested in the active safety a vehicle brings to the table than the passive safety. But you are the one that's built a religion around crash test results from NHTSA and the relatively biased IIHS (after all it is the INSURANCE Insititue for Highway Safety and no stranger to controversy themselves).

. . .just amazed and perplexed. Personally, I'm more interested in the active safety a vehicle brings to the table than the passive safety. But you are the one that's built a religion around crash test results from NHTSA and the relatively biased IIHS (after all it is the INSURANCE Insititue for Highway Safety and no stranger to controversy themselves).

Hugo, I respect your opinion. I've talked to many who feel that the standard safety equipment and the active safety features are more important than actual test numbers. I give a lot of credit to Hyundai for their safety equipment and their "intentions" to provide a safe vehicle.

Actually I give equal importance to both active and passive safety. Some state that any good driver and good car can avoid all accidents. I wish that were true.

Although I don't agree that the IIHS is biased (although they are "harsh"), I know that both agencies test "differently" and can produce different results.

Those that know me on this forum know that I am VERY impressed with the Azera and have nothing but praise for it . . . except for the crash tests . . . which I am very vocal about.
  • toasttoast Member Posts: 50
    ricwhite I appreciate your comments. Anyone who tracks this forum knows that your posts are informative and have been primarily positive.

I visit the forums to gain information. I place more credibility to information linked to what I consider reliable third parties such as NHTSA and IIHS as well as reviews from whoever is willing to take the time to document their opinions.

Most who purchased the Azera or any other make come to the forums to receive positive feedback to be reassured that they made the right decision. Any negative comments draw an expected negative reaction.

Others come to the forums for information to base a future purchasing decision. I really like the input you provide and look forward to your posts. Thanks again!
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    The purpose of these forums is to pass along personal thoughts and feelings about the vehicle they have purchased or are considering purchasing.
    Both the positives as well as the negatives should be posted.
    If enough of the negatives are brought to the attention of the manufacturer, perhaps they may take corrective action.
    I have had no difficulty in advising my dealer about my general approval of the car, but have also expressed my displeasure with it's shortcomings.
    . . . for the tone of my arguments in the previous two posts. I re-read them and find that they are harsh even by my lax standards. However, if I look back on what I have driven in the past (and survived driving - my FIAT 128 comes to mind), I find the level of safety in the Azera to be 'Acceptable'. My daily driver is a Miata (and I don't want to know it's carsh test numbers ; -).
    If it is true that the Azera has the worst crash test ratings, how with that affect insurance rates for this model?
    I take it that there are no recalls for the Azera for any problem.

I think the insurance industry uses "real-world" data as the primary information source with which to base their insurance rates. This includes data on actual accident involvement, car thefts, claim numbers, etc.

In that regard, I would assume that the Azera is very good.

However, I also know that the Insurance industry will use any "excuse" to raise rates. Since the Azera scored lower than expected on both the front and side crash tests, they may use that data to raise rates, even though it may not have resulted in increased claims of damage or injury.

Maybe somebody else who is more familiar than I with the insurance industry can shed more light.

When I insured my Azera, the insurance was about $300 more a year than my 2000 Passat, but I believe it was due to the increase in liability coverage required for the lease as well as the increased value of the automobile.
    . . . for the tone of my arguments in the previous two posts. I reread my them and find that they are harsh even by my lax standards. However, if I look back on what I have driven in the past (and survived driving - my FIAT 128 comes to mind), I find the level of safety in the Azera to be 'Acceptable'. My daily driver is a Miata (and I don't want to know it's carsh test numbers ; -).

No problem, Hugo. I appreciate your comments. I come across to some as a little fanatical and "high-strung" regarding things like crash test results and some feel I'm "over-reacting." But that's okay.

To be honest . . . Even after these crash results are in, I still "feel" safer in the Azera than I did in my 2000 Passat I owned previously. It's just that I was expecting even better than these results are indicating.

Regards,
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Miata is pretty safe, and has a low death rate compared to most any other car. That said, please yield to oncoming SUVs and trucks. :shades: I owned one for three years. Fun car. Did buy an Autopower roll bar for it.

The Azera, I am sure will be re-worked before the next model change to do better in the crash test. I did wonder myself how it could score below the Sonata in the crash test. Things happen though. And keep in mind the Cadillac CTS is also a 4 star, if that means anything at all.
    -Loren
    P.S. Fiat 128 - cool little car. But in the age of monsters on the road. Ah the old days. And then there was the Spider the 950cc powerhouse sports car from Fiat. Hey, it looked cool!
    The Azera, I am sure will be re-worked before the next model change to do better in the crash test. I did wonder myself how it could score below the Sonata in the crash test. Things happen though.

After the less than stellar frontal crash test scores were released on the Azera, somebody posted that there was a defect in the seat which caused it to track up and forward during the impact which resulted in head and leg injuries.

That report was not verifed and is probably just speculation. However, in the past, Hyundai automobiles have had problems with seat tracking (Sonata) and have had to make corrections, so maybe it's true.

Regardless, I think you are right that corrections will be made for 2007. I'm sure Hyundai is much more upset about the Azera crash results than I am.

Unfortunately, the corrections for 2007 are not going to help me with my 2006 Azera that I'm leasing for 27 months.
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    According to the results of the Crash test. There was already an adjustment on the Frame and Side Air-Bags on the Azera after April, 2006. Though the car tested was after April. It seems that they are trying to modify the structure and safety of the car as results from second and third parties come in. I do think that they will be improving the safety standards in the future. Though it doesn't help those who now own one. JoeD
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    How can one determine if he has one of the corrected cars? I bought my Azera over Memorial Day weekend.

How can one determine if he has one of the corrected cars? I bought my Azera over Memorial Day weekend.

You're speaking of the safety improvements in side and roof panels and in side air bags?

Those improvements were implemented in May/2006 and later.

I seriously doubt anybody in the U.S. will have one of the upgraded Azeras. They usually take a couple of months from Korea to prepare, ship, arrive and sell. So I would assume that nobody has an Azera manufactured after March or so.

If you want to find out. . . Open your driver's door on the Azera. On the car toward the bottom, there's a black plate with information on it. (It's below the tire inflation plate) On the left hand side of the plate at the top it gives a manufacturer's date. It would need to be May 1, 2006 or later to be one of the "upgraded" ones.

BTW, mine must have been one of the first manufactured -- Oct 3, 2005. It probably arrived in the U.S. in December and I didn't lease it until March and it already had over 500 miles on it.

When you find out, please post it. I'd be curious to know when yours was manufactured since you bought it late May.
    Date of manufacture = February 17, 2006
    Date of sale = May 28, 2006
    Tomorrow will be four weeks since I bought my Azera and I absolutely love this car. It isn't perfect by any means (that's the subject of a future post) but I challenge anyone to find more car for the money. I anxiously await the August Consumer Reports, which should be out in two weeks.

Since buying my car I have not seen even one Azera on the road. My wife said that she has seen exactly one. In that same period I have not seen one Hyundai dealer ad with the Azera. The San Diego County Hyundai dealers advertise every Saturday and Sunday and not once has an Azera been in the ad. Further, none of the radio ads I have heard for Hyundai have mentioned the Azera (its always the Sonata). Further still, my dealer hasn't sold a single Azera since I bought mine (at least the inventory doesn't look like it has changed).

I have already encountered multiple instances of gawking at this car. In one, a Gen Y guy covered in tattoos and piercings said, "I just read about that car in Car & Driver - that is a nice car." The neighbors down the street were walking their dog. When I opened the garage door and pulled out they stopped in their tracks and didn't move until they completely checked out the car. Mind you, these are people measure their self-worth by their material possessions.

For those of you reading this Forum and contemplating this car I say, "What are you waiting for?" Unless you answer is, "I'm already sold I'm just waiting for the 2007 model to come out," then get to your dealer now!

Since buying my car I have not seen even one Azera on the road.

I have already encountered multiple instances of gawking at this car.

For those of you reading this Forum and contemplating this car I say, "What are you waiting for?" Unless you answer is, "I'm already sold I'm just waiting for the 2007 model to come out," then get to your dealer now!

I've noticed a few similar things as you. First, the car is a looker. I get comments all the time. If you like to be admired, this the Azera is a good one.

The Azera is second to none in features. Truly! I come from a family of Lexus owners and guess which car they want to take when we go out to dinner? Yep, the Azera. (I'm not making this up).

But, I'm puzzled because I hear Hyundai commercials all the time on the radio and they NEVER even mention the Azera. Not once. I live in the metro Salt Lake City area and I have NEVER seen another Azera on the road. Never.

Really odd, if you ask me and I don't know what to make of it. At least I have a "unique" car.

But I'm VERY impressed with the car thus far.

except

for

just

one

thing.

(which I have spoken too much about already)
    But I'm VERY impressed with the car thus far.
    except
    for
    just
    one
    thing.
    (which I have spoken too much about already)

I assume that you mean the relatively meager control of the audio from the steering wheel. ;)
    I assume that you mean the relatively meager control of the audio from the steering wheel.

No, I really don't care about the audio controls on the steering wheel because using them may lead to a . . . CRASH . . . ;)
    Thanks!
    I have sent them an email and will await a reply.
    The audio controls on the steering wheel are a joke. I can't believe that they did not expand the system to at least change the radio stations. Has anyone heard any credible rumors about what new toys will be offered on the 2007?
  • usfarbuousfarbuo Member Posts: 13
    I saw one just three days ago new with beige interior. It was on Tom O'Brien Hyundai located in Danvers, Mass. Their phone number is 19786468890.In fact, that day I asked them to locate a grey steel car with black interior and two days later ryan from O'Brien Hyundai called and said they located one. So I bought it and am waiting for it to arrive so I can see it. Good luck.
  • jvwheeljvwheel Member Posts: 6
    We first read about the Azera in a review in the NY Times and have since been researching the auto. Edmunds, as usual, offers a lot of useful information about an auto and has been our principle resourse. We have drove the car and were going forward with purchase negotiations when we read (in this forum) about the deception other buyers experienced at Power Hyundai in Scottsdale AZ. We found the sales person to be very likable but halted the process because we did not want to invest much more in coming to terms that may very likely not be honored. Later we began looking for our Azera at other dealer ships but have not been able to locate the colored we require. It seems all of the delay has been for the best because since that time the crash test results have surfaced and improvements have been implemented in the structure of the auto. I have a couple of questions for my forum associates. Does anyone know if the Azera is produced in Black with Grey interior in the Limited w/Ultimate Model. Also does anyone know when the improved cars will be for sale in the western US. Thanks,
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    no. debadging is very common. i debadged my 325i and my acura cl before.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    strange. there are about 15-20 azera's in my local hyundai(antwerpen hyundai baltimore) and dealer said they are selling better than expected. i guess it depends on the location.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Check with Hyundai of Tempe, that is where my wife and I bought our Azera. They had about 15 in stock, I believe there was a couple Black cars in stock, but don't know the interior color. Go to their website, their inventory is online.

Good luck
    I am taking delivery on my Black Azera Limited with Beige Leather Interior Today. I was at the dealership Saturday to check out my car. They just received a shipment and there was a Black with Gray Leather in the Limited model with ultra package. So, yes to your question about this color combo. Oh, if the car was manufactured after May 1, 2006 it has the new improvements. The tag is located on the bottom of the drivers door on the right. JoeD
    Where were you able to find out this information regarding the "improvements"?
    Can you tell me what these improvements are?
    In an earlier post someone posted the results of the crash test. In the report was stated that after April, 2006 the bottom and top of the frame was re-enforced and a correction of the side air bags was done. It was also stated in the report that the car tested for the crash test was one manufactured after April. JoeD

----------

It seems all of the delay has been for the best because since that time the crash test results have surfaced and improvements have been implemented in the structure of the auto. . .
    Does anyone know when the improved cars will be for sale in the western US.

----------

The Azera safety improvements were outlined on the IIHS test site. It stated:

"Azera models manufactured after April 2006 include roof and floor structural upgrades and side airbag changes to improve occupant protection in side-impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The tested car was manufactured after the modifications had been made."

IIHS Reference Link

From what I've seen, it usually takes 2-3 months from the manufacturing date of the Azera until it is available for purchase. They are made in Korea. My Azera was manufactured in Oct/2005 - Received late 12/05 and purchased by me 03/06.

I seriously doubt any of the "upgraded" Azeras will be available in the U.S. for purchase before August/2006. You can check the Azeras on the lot by looking at the black plate hidden by the driver's door. (Mine's below the "tire inflation plate.") You will need to find one manufactured May 1, 2006 or later.

Reports from others indicate that Azeras on lots today have a manufacture date of February/March.

If you wait until August for the updated Azera, it may be just better to wait for the 2007s which usually begin showing up around October or so, I would think.

On a side note: Other than the less than stellar crash test results :mad: , the Azera is a :D GREAT :D car. I had relatives over yesterday and they were amazed and commented on the looks, features, ride, etc. (These were Lexus and Acura owners). You get more for your money with the Azera than ANY car on the market today.
    I called Hyundai US today, and they are unaware of any modifications to the Azera that you referred to.
    I'm just questioning if this modification really was done or is just a story.
    I called Hyundai US today, and they are unaware of any modifications to the Azera that you referred to.
    I'm just questioning if this modification really was done or is just a story.

I'm sure it was done considering the specific information posted on the IIHS site. And I'm sure Hyundai is NOT PLEASED that the IIHS released information to the pubic about those modifications. I'm sure it was a covert hush hush fix job to try to get the crash numbers up to snuff.

I'm not surprised at all that when you called Hyundai USA customer service that they were unaware of the specific technical structural modifications made on the Azera. When I called Hyundai customer service back in March, they were unaware of incentives and lease deals on the Azera and could not give me ANY useful information on the car including any features or options. So, I'm sure they're completely out of the loop on any technical information.
    I have aso called the IIHS, and they could not confirm where they obtained the information pertaining to the modifications statement.
    The Hyundai US customer service person I spoke with consulted with a supervisor who supposedly checked with higher ups, who also claimed that no modifications were made.
    Does anyone have any other sources of information?
    Both Hyundai US and IIHS claimed they would get back to me if they any other information.
    I am not holding my breath while awating a reply.
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    ricwhite is correct regarding the modifications. Hyundai was very disappointed with the crash test results of Azera. Please believe that they are not satisfied with the results of either test (NHTSA and IIHS). Modifications have been made to reinforce the structures identified in the floor pan, side beam and side airbag redeployment. Additionally, modifications have been made to the seat track as well.

Published reports of the specifics of these reinforcements are not expected however it is expected that Hyundai will request a re-test of Azera which may occur possibly mid '07.

Hyundai knows that they have a potential hit on their hands if they can move the Azera up to a 5 star.

----------

ricwhite is correct regarding the modifications. Hyundai was very disappointed with the crash test results of Azera. Please believe that they are not satisfied with the results of either test (NHTSA and IIHS). Modifications have been made to reinforce the structures identified in the floor pan, side beam and side airbag redeployment. Additionally, modifications have been made to the seat track as well.

Published reports of the specifics of these reinforcements are not expected however it is expected that Hyundai will request a re-test of Azera which may occur possibly mid '07.

Hyundai knows that they have a potential hit on their hands if they can move the Azera up to a 5 star.

----------

You got my attention. Can you provide some kind a verification other than IIHS on this? Sources? Maybe your credentials?

The "seat track" rumor on the frontal crashes was just that. Do you have a reference on that for verification?

Could there be any "recall" for Azera that did not have the modifications -- including the seat tracking problem?

Since I'm in a 27 month lease, I would certainly like to have the modifications done to increase the safety worthiness.

Regards,
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    I own a black with grey interior Limited Ultimate. Beauty. :D
    What is the source of this information?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "Since I'm in a 27 month lease, I would certainly like to have the modifications done to increase the safety worthiness."

You may find having structural upgrades undertaken to be an exercise in futility. At the very least, it would certainly be an expensive proposition for you.
  • cneumancneuman Member Posts: 55
    Hello and congratulations to all who are enjoying your new Azeras. Have any of you had other vehicles that had HID's? Have you noticed a significant difference in the ability to see the road at night w/o HID lighting? Any word on the chance of the 2007 Azera having HID's?

cn
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    Hello and congratulations to all who are enjoying your new Azeras. Have any of you had other vehicles that had HID's? Have you noticed a significant difference in the ability to see the road at night w/o HID lighting? Any word on the chance of the 2007 Azera having HID's?

I personally don't have my Azera, yet - but my aunt does, and I drive my wife's '02 Infiniti I35 a lot at night: there is a noticable difference in the low beams, but the high beams seem to be just about the same, really. Almost all cars have faux HID high beams due to the fact that you are not really supposed to "light the torch" for less than a full minute and flashing the lights (for instance) would be really a pain!

For those that don't know, HID lamps are not really light bulbs as we know them, they are a plasma arc generated by a very high voltage stream through a noble gas - like a welder's torch for instance. That is why they have a separate ballast that steps up the 12V to a much higher voltage to create that plasma arc. In fact, for all practical purposes, HID 'bulbs' never burn out - they call them "capsules" in most literature.

I really don't understand why Hyundai chose not to put them in the US market (or even optional), because all of their Euro models (Grandeur or Azera) have them as standard... It seems like with a part list from a Euro vehicle you could easily 'make it so', though the conversion would likely run you about $200/$250 per side at least. There definitely is space for the ballast and there is already an "HID" fuse spot in the fuse box.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I have HID's on my Lexus, and I don't really like them. Besides being razor sharp to other drivers, they do not produce the same natural illumination as halogens. Sometimes visibility gets a little weird because of this un-natural light - things tend to jump out of nowhere due to going from dimly lit far away to suddenly extra-brightly lit when they get close. Too much contrast.

Halogens have a much softer transition when lighting up objects as they get closer.

If the car didn't come standard with HID's, I would never order them as an option.
    Each manufacturer uses different color temperature lamps, and I'd have to go the other way, I believe: I do a lot of Interstate driving, and I really like the way that they light up the road and especially markers on the road way ahead of where halogen lights would 'see' them. My '04 Lexus is one of those that was made before they added the "15 degree aiming" feature to them so they 'see around corners': that really bothers me, especially if I am the driver coming the other way and looking at them because the tend to stray off the straight path and blind other drivers. Many manufactures use lamps that are way off the chart as far as useful color - to the extreme that they are purple, which is just downright unnatural. The other side of the coin is that there are just w-a-y too many aftermarket replacement bulbs for halogen that go way up there in the 6000K+ range that always blind other drivers because they are not designed for HID bulb temps to start with. I've seen bulbs advertised that have 7500K, 8000K (PIAA JDM) and even some at 10000K or higher... Just not natural looking and made for those that don't have HID lamps and want to look like they do at the expense of safety (and other drivers' eyes)!
    = "Japanese Domestic Market" up there. They are designed for use in Japan and may or may not be street legal in the US, though of course everyone claims that they are...
  • roadkingtc88roadkingtc88 Member Posts: 21
    I have mine mounted there, and having no problems
    I have bought a new azera and it supposed to come in next week. However on july 10th I am going to the White Mountains of New Hamp.(about a 150 mile trip) and I am concerned about going over 55mph for this trip.It's an open road for about 130 miles with speed limit of 65.Does anyone know if it is absolutely positively essential to keep car at 55mph for the first 1500 miles. I'm thinking I will tell the dealer that I will take delivery when I come back from the trip thus driving my 1999 linc. cont. for this trip and then when I come back take possession of my azera. Any thoughts? Thank You.

Does anyone know if it is absolutely positively essential to keep car at 55mph for the first 1500 miles.
    ----------

The owner's manual states (chap 1, pg. 3 with emphasis mine):

NO formal break-in procedure is required with your new Hyundai. However, you can contribute to the economical operation and durability of the Hyundai by observing the following recommendations during the first 1,200 miles (commentary mine):

* Don't drive faster than 55 mph.
    * Try to keep engine speed between 2,000-4,000 rpm (Yeah, like you can do that completely)
    * Use moderate acceleration.
    * For the first 200 miles , try to avoid hard stops
    * Vary your speed from time to time.
    * Don't let the engine idle for longer than 3 minutes at a time (feel sorry for those who had to drive in rush hour traffic)
    * Don't tow.

Frankly, I just drove normally during the first 1,200 miles. Even, doing so, I did most of the recommendations. I didn't drive a lot on the freeways, but I would guess that I probably did a total of 200 miles or so out of 1,200 at freeway speed of 65-70 mph. Engine's running great at 3,200 miles.

But to answer your question -- the manual certainly indicates that it's NOT "absolutely positively essential" to keep it at 55 mph or less. It's just a recommendation and there really is no formal "break-in" for the engine. If your worried, I would just vary your speed every few minutes.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    We've only had our Azera for 300-400 miles, but I've driven it "regular". If the freeways are moving at 70, I stay with the traffic. Idling is whatever traffic allows, rush hour is no fun anywhere.
    I think the most important advice is to not stomp on the brakes unless it's an emergency. It helps them to seat and smoothly engage later in life.
    I'd take the Azera on your trip. It'll be a great way to break the car in, on the highway as opposed to plodding around in a city.
    Thanks very much for your quick response. I think that I will use the Azera should it come in before my trip. I'm really looking forward to this car.I've driven Lincolns for over 30 years but from what I have seen from driving the azera has it all over the lincoln and other american cars as well
    Thanks, again.