Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
It looks like the new Accent will be available this Fall.

Preview it here. What do you think?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• gwidogwido Member Posts: 25
    The new Accent will be shown at the Canadian International Auto Show that starts on February 16th in Toronto.

We'll finally see what was hidden on the spy shots shown in this discussion

Since Hyundai said it wants to differenciate its brand from its sister company Kia, I think the new Accent will be a little more upscale than the 2006 Rio, on which it's based.

At least, I hope it will be different enough in styling.
    Does anybody have news about the future Accent?

It seems it wasn't shown in Toronto after all, contrary to what I read on MSN Autos (I won't trust them anymore...)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Is just about the last place that ANYONE should look for automotive information.

~alpha
  • codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    2006 Accent is not based on the new Rio, which has a torsion-beam rear axle. This is the same type of rear suspension offered on the current-generation Rio.
    According to Edmunds Inside Line, Hyundai plans to unveil its 2006 Accent at the New York Auto Show next week.
    The 2006 Accent was unveiled today in New York. You can see some information on this site:
    http://www.hyundaiaccent.com/index.html

I'm glad it doesn't look at all like the 2006 Kia Rio, but it has some Toyota Corolla resemblance imho.

According to the specs, it seems to be a mechanical twin to the new Rio: 110hp 1.6L engine, same wheelbase and dimensions, same suspension layout. Sadly, the rear suspension is no longer independent, which was a characteristic unique to the Accent in its class (correct me if I'm wrong on that).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I guess that answers the question as to whether the Accent and Rio share a platform. Wonder if the ride/handling will be tuned differently, as on the Tucson/Sportage.

There is a resemblence to the Corolla in front, but the Accent is more teardrop-shaped and the rest of the car doesn't look like the Corolla, IMO. The tailights remind me of the Protege. Nice rear end and side profile I think. A rather stand-out feature is the very high trim strip on the side--the better to tackle those SUV doors I guess.

Unfortunately ABS is not standard (as it will be on a competitor, the Fit), but at least Hyundai retained the trademark 8-way driver's seat.

I think the dash looks better in grey--the tan looks a little cheap to me, with no trim around the HVAC dials. See the photos:

http://new-york-auto-show.autoblog.com/entry/1234000730037482/

If the crash test results are good, this is definitely a car I'll look at when it's time to turn over my '01 Elantra to my oldest son in 18 months.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    92 cu. feet-- is the same as an Acura Legend (the big one) of fifteen years ago. Cars like Big Gulps are getting larger.
  • zupzup Member Posts: 15
    Looks like interior volume is becoming a priority for Hyundai. I am fine with this trend as Hyundai's styling make their cars look smaller from the outside, unlike cars like the 300 which I dislike for its brutish look. I am looking forward to purchase the new Sonata which is rated as a large vehicle by its interior volume. According to Hyundai, the mileage for the new Sonata is around 24/33, which is similar to the Accord and Camry. If the new Accent and Elantra can out-compete their Japanese rivals with Civic/Corolla like mileage ratings, Hyundai's quest for global domination is one big step closer.
    I'd say they have a long ways to go on their quest for global domination. ;-) But they are making sure steps for greater recognition and respect from the general car-buying public, maybe to the point where Hyundai owners won't need to give a lengthy explanation to friends and family as to why they bought one.

I am very curious to see what the EPA ratings for the new CVVT engine in the Accent will be. It should be at least in the upper 30s, based on the numbers from the current Elantra and the new Sonata.
  • hyundaiozhyundaioz Member Posts: 1
    Is there only going to be a sedan model for the new accent? maybe this is so for the usa but im in australia and im sure i read somewhere, and have seen spy photos of, a hatch model....also there has been talk of a wagon varient, anyone have any info on more body styles for the accent and when we can expect to see them? cheers!
  • mononeomononeo Member Posts: 89
    In the US, the information says that there is only one sedan-GLS model. However, there is the new Kia Rio5 coming out. This may mean that they will come out with the Accent Wagon later, but if not, you could always just get that car, a less-polished Accent with worse resale.
    Overall, I think the 2006 Rio is a more attractive execution of this platform. I see more ECHO influence in the front end of the Accent than I do the Corolla, especially in headlamp shape. The interior looks nice, perfectly acceptable for the price point. The Rio just has a little more edge, IMO, and while it will be nice if the Accent can achieve 30/38 ratings like the Corolla auto, I think its reasonable to expect more, given that the Accents engine lacks 20 hp from Toyota's 1.8, and likely about 10-15 pounds of twist.

I am mighty impressed by the new Sonata, though.

~alpha
    I don't hear any ECHO with the Accent, but I think the Rio sedan is pretty sharp, especially in red. I was disappointed in the Rio5 after seeing a photo of the production model. I got my hopes up after seeing a photo of a concept version that looked really slick.

One thing that impresses me about the Accent is its equipment for an entry-level car, e.g. fold-down center armrest in the rear, what looks like plush fabric in one close-up I saw, power everything. I wonder if we'll see another instance of the Elantra/Spectra situation, where the Rio undercuts the Accent in price, but by the time you equip the cars comparably the Accent costs less? Then for Hyundai owners like me there's (we hope) the lure of loyalty rebates on the Accent...
    I'm looking forward for the mileage figures of the new 1.6L engine, but I don't expect them to match those of a Corolla or Civic, let alone those of the ECHO. It seems that korean engines have always lagged behing japanese rivals in terms of refinement and fuel consumption and, while I'm expecting an improvement, I don't think this new engine with CVVT will change that. I suppose Hyundai and Kia would have talked more about it if fuel economy have been greatly improved.
    First off, as far as gas mileage goes on the new Accent, I think we should see at least a 10% increase, bare minimum. The new Sonata has more power than the old one, yet Hyundai promises it will get 20-25% better fuel economy. On the Azera, they promised that the XG replacement would get 15-20% fuel economy improvement. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect at least 10% increase.

Let us also consider the Honda Civic. Hyundai now, I would argue, has the same levels of techonology and sophistication as Hondas. If we compare the new Accent's 1.6 liter engine to the Civic's 1.7 liter engine, we can find a few things. They both have continuously-variable valve timing, are the same size, and have similar powertrain layouts. Also, they are both ULEVs. The Accent weighs 2375 pounds on average (that's the new model, half way between the auto and manual), and the Civic weighs 2612 with an auto and I'm sure is less aerodynamic and it gets 31 city / 38 hwy with an auto, and 32 / 37 with a manual. The current Accent gets 25 / 36 with an automatic, and 29 / 33 with a manual. Considering that the new Sonata 2.4L I-4 engine gets 25 / 34 with 160 horsepower, I think we can expect the new Accent to at least obtain over 30 in the city, and approaching or surpassing 40 on the highway. The Civic weighs more and is an older engine design, but still gets 31 / 38.

If you're wondering why I had to compare a Civic EX to an Accent, it is because DX, and LX models do not have VTEC.

My supreme estimates for what mileage this car will achieve are as follows:

Manual Automatic
    35/42 33/39

Exactly the same as the Toyota ECHO.

Has anyone noticed that Edmunds has really been slumping when it comes to coverage of auto shows lately? They don't even have all of the new models on their NY Auto Show page. It is getting to the point where I have to double-check things and go to different sites, just because of how unreliable this site is getting. What's the deal with that? The Accent isn't even on the NY Auto Show page, which Edmunds had an article about in the Inside Line daily news last week. It was about how Hyundai would debut both the Azera and Accent at the show. They should be rather embarassed to have reported (or posted, seeing as how their news comes from Global Auto Systems or something like that) on something, and not followed up on the thing they explicitly eluded to covering. That's bad journalism.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The 1.6L is still the same Alpha motor that debuted on the Scoupe turbo (as a 1.5L) back in 1993, albeit in improved form. Adding CVVT didn't boost the mpg for the Beta and Delta motors in 2004, so I wouldn't expect any improvement for the Accent.
    Actually, CVVT did seem to make a difference with the Beta motor, in both fuel economy and emissions. My '01 Elantra 5-speed with the non-CVVT engine is rated 25/33, and the '05 Elantra 5-speed with CVVT is rated 27/34 and is available in SULEV form (automatic tranny)--and is in fact one of the cleanest cars available per the EPA. Power increased also, from 135 on my '01 to 138 hp now. It's possible Hyundai has improved their CVVT technology and made other improvements in the 1.6L engine.

I also wonder if Hyundai has any plans to drop their new 1.8L engine into the Accent and Rio down the road...
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    What!!! It will still use that old 1.6 engine??? I thought Hyundai was arriving with a brand new engine to be able to compete better with the Echo's! I think this really is not a good point for this next Accent! But still, is the platform all new or a modernised version of the old one?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I know your '01 Hyundai Elantra was rated to get 25/33, but what have you been getting for gas mileage in the real world with it?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The platform is new (torsion beam rear end, sadly). I was hoping they'd put the 1.8 Theta in there, but tweaking the Alpha keeps costs down and preserves some distance between the new Accent and base Elantras.
    I get better than 25/33, but that's really not pertinent to this discussion of the Accent. The fact that the CVVT Beta engine has better fuel economy than the non-CVVT engine is, because we should reasonably expect the same kind of thing for the CVVT-enhanced engine on the Accent.
    Are you saying the new base Elantras will have the 1.8L engine, not the 2.0L?
    Many of you are distraugh over the idea that the car has an "old" engine.

Did you know that the 2005.5 Jetta, the new one that just came out has what you would deem an "old" engine. It's 2.5 liter inline-5, is derived from the old Jetta's 2.0 liter I-4, and both are still related in design to the original Jetta's (that's like 1983 or something) I-4 engine. Somehow, these engines are still relevant. I don't think that Hyundai, who I would argue is more tech-savvy than Volkswagen, would allow this engine to be continued if it were made irrelevant.

Also, lexi4life eluded to something about Accents competing with ECHOs. ECHOs are in their last year of production. They have sold less than 25% of what Toyota expected them to sell annually, every year they've been sold. I think that the Accent nameplate has already won. Also, the cars that this car is now competing with is the Scion xA and xB. The higher-end low-end cars, if you will. Both of these cars have 108 horsepower, and 105 pounds of twist. These cars are also heavier. Adding in the price premium these cars will have, I think the Accent has nothing to worry about.

Also, drawing back to my earlier attention to the fact that Jetta's are still related to their roots. The Scion xB and xA are essentially re-packaged ECHOs. They are on the same platform, and same powertrain. They cost a lot more, although this doesn't hinder their sales.
    Its a nice looking little vehicle in person, comes across much as it does in the photos. At the NY Auto show, I didnt have much time to look at it, as it was definitely overshadowed by the new Sonata and Azera. (Hyundai just has so dang much going on right now!!). That said, this car should gain sales momentum if the MPG ratings significantly improve and the price bump from the previous generation is only modest.

~alpha
    comes across as the most dignified Accent I've ever seen. Hyundai designers have done a fantastic job on the sleekness factor and overall presence. I think consumers will dig the new Accent and I am very impressed with everything new coming out from both Kia and Hyundai right now.

Pricing is what will be interesting. Right now, dealers in my town are selling base Elantra GLSes for much less than comparably-equipped Accents. That cannot continue. What I predict will happen is that Hyundai will raise the price on the next-gen Elantra, to be a more than the Spectra (ala the Tucson being more than the Sportage) but with more upscale styling (Hyundai would say more "confident" I guess) and some additional equipment, e.g. the standard XM radio and perhaps standard ABS/traction control. Likewise, the new Accent GLS will most likely be priced above the base Rio, since the Accent will have more standard equipment. Down the road, I'd like to see Hyundai offer the new Accent in GL, GLS, and GT models, including a 5-door variant, but Hyundai is mum on that for now.
  • accentpaulaccentpaul Member Posts: 15
    Can you say Mazda 3 + pre-'05 Jetta + Toyota Carolla? I can! Not that I don't like it, I know it will grow on me, but as an owner of an '02 GL I am stuck on the old sedan look.

I'm worried about this wagon talk. The Accent is an entry level four banger that is perfect for cash-strapped teens like myself (of course, even when I dominate the world and am a googolplexaire, I will still drive a 5 speed GLS). All these variants could increase the price down the road.

They better bring the 5-door to the States. Its all over Europe and Australia... HOT!

By the way, what is the official top speed for the GL automatic? I pushed 112 and I'm not sure just how close this is to the top speed (I'd have put this in another board, but all relevant ones are closed) .

Thanks.
    -Speed Freak (not the drug)">
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I think the new sedan is nice looking. I don't buy sedans but if I did I would give it a look.
    When and if they bring a five door or wagon into the states I will truly give it a thought. Until then I'm over at the Kia store. :) Has anyone seen how much rear seat leg room there is? the old Accent was short on that. With the front seat adjusted for my legs all you could get behind the front seat was a briefcase. No human with legs could set back their.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I love the styling of the new 06 model inside and out. It looks very upscale and the interior looks like a downsized version of the new Sonata. I think Hyundai hit a homerun with this car and it couldn't come out at a better time; with gas prices as high as they are, the small economy car is fixing to see a comeback. I'm a bit perplexed to see that they aren't offering a 2-door hatchback model though. The 2 door has a sportier personality that better attracts the young buyers and it was a much more versatile design with way better cargo room. I was abe to fit a 32" HDTV in its box in my old 2000 Accent hatchback, something I could not have done with the sedan. I also see more 2 doors on the road then I do the 4 door, so I'm not sure why Hyundai didn't continue the design. It obviously was selling well. Does anyone know if there is a 2 door offered in other markets or is there only the 5 door hatch now? At any rate, the Accent is at the top of my list for my next car. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the 20-22 mpg my current 4 cylinder ride is giving me.
  • flubukflubuk Member Posts: 2
    They really should sell the 5-door accent. Super practical, cool looking and what the whole rest of the world drives (have you traveled outside the U.S. - everyone drives a 5 door hatch).

Any pics of the 5 door Accent?
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    The thing is... is Hyundai and Scion really competing with each other?

Ask any 18 year old to choose between a Hyundai and a Scion. They will obviously choose the Scion, the 'hipper' car. If Hyundai wants to truly compete with Scion, they need to spice their model a bit to make it less conservative.

Even the new Sonata looks less conservative.

Highly disappointed. I think Hyundai seriously needs to add some spazz into their line up. The quality is there; now they need to focus on the 'image'.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    From the 2006 Rio website the fuel economy numbers look like this:

Manual 32 City/ 35 Hwy
    Auto 29 City/ 38 Hwy

You would think 2006 Accent would be about the same.

A good improvement over 2005, but the highway mpg for the manual should be 38-41 especially with the auto's numbers.

2006 KIA RIO
    It is possible that Kia has geared the manual to wring as much performance out of the little engine, vs. max economy--aiming the manual car at buyers who want sportiness vs. economy. If that is indeed the case, then it's not a given that the 5-speed Accent will have the same numbers as the Rio, since Hyundai may decide to gear its car differently. We'll see pretty soon when the EPA numbers for the Accent arrive.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    That's what happened to the Scion xB. Think the 5 speed was turning at 3500 rpm @ 70 mpg. It was on the short list but not with that racket. Made it unusable as a long distance car as far as I was concerned.
    I agree csandsteI; I don't won't a dog, but this is not a fast high rpm sports car. It should be economy oriented, and 35 highway with the manual doesn't get it. Even the heavier and completely non-aerodynamic Xb can get 35 on the highway.

They should have broken the mold and put in a 6 speed manual. You get the feel of speed up through 5th, and then stick it in 6th for maximum highway fuel economy.
    A six speed in a $10k econobox? Well, we can dream. I'd settle for a taller 5th gear. Who needs to accelerate in 5th anyway?
    you hit it, man. Who would expect a 6-speed in a $10,000 Accent or Rio, or Aveo? Yikes. Hold your horses, dudes. Rermember, $10,000 is a flying bargain. Right-o?

5-speeds with a taller 5th with intestinal fortitude would do.

Who expects it? Nobody as I said. Thus the surprise to the competitors. But as I said who expects good highway fuel economy in a light, small car, with a low power engine? Everybody. Not in this case though. I don't care if they drop in a 4 speed if it got the numbers it should. Just get it done, and quit making excuses. Hyundai could lock up this market from Toyota and Honda if they would have made the gains they made with the Sonata.

Do you really expect the MSRP to drop more than a 1000 to $10,000? The last 5 years the actual out the door cost of the Accent has not been competitive to the more discounted Elantra. For just a 1000 more you get better power, more amenities, and not significantly worse fuel economy. No wonder the sales of the Accent have been miniscule.
    Some of the press reports re the '06 Accent GLS mentioned a $10k starting price, that's where I got that figure. If they can price the new GLS anywhere near $10k, even $11k ($12k with automatic), I think it will be a good deal, considering its equipment. With the '07 Elantra likely going up in size and price, there's room for a price increase on the Accent and still maintain a $3000 or so gap.

But as I said who expects good highway fuel economy in a light, small car, with a low power engine? Everybody.

Everybody but Mini Cooper owners I guess. ;) Check out the EPA ratings on the 115 hp 5-speed Mini Cooper: 28 city, 36 highway. Just 1 mpg better than the Rio on the highway. And they sell like hotcakes.
    I certainly don't expect 40mpg highway in a 2006 Hyundai Accent. When you look at even a starting MSRP of around $12,000 with that great new design for the Accent I'd have to say look at this car closer. I certainly am, along with the new Kia Rio. Now, 28 city, 36 highway would be nice to achieve, eh?

but with a Corolla at 41/32 with the manual, 20 more horsepower, and heavier, the long term economy factor is not looking too good.
    the Toyota Corolla? Even with the sport touches it still looks so conservative.

I agree. I am just looking for an excuse to not get a Corolla or Civic, and I was hoping the next Accent, Rio, or Elantra would come close to the same economy numbers with the manual transmission.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I really like the way that the new Accent looks, but I think that the Rio is a little better-looking, especially in red. Either way, I would buy either of them over an Echo or Aveo.
    You still have hope with the Accent and Elantra. If those don't offer the highway mpg you want, you might try the new-ffor-'06 Yaris or Jazz/Fit. Both should offer over 40 mpg.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    The thing is... is Hyundai and Scion really competing with each other?

I entered the new car market with the Scion xA as my favorite. It still has a lot of things going for it, but acceleration is not among them. I think the 05 Accent is ugly in a down-scale sense (as opposed to the xB, which is ugier, but in a cutting-edge sense).

Anyway, I'm looking for a hatchback with AT. In the Hyundai line, the Elantra is my choice. If the Accent comes in a hatchback for 06, it will get a long, hard look from me.

Bottom line is that if there is a hatchback Accent, it is a DIRECT competitor of the Scion xA & xB. If not, I'll look at the Rio Cinco for 06.
    I just noticed on the hyundaiusa.com site that Hyundai states the '06 Accent GLS will have ABS and 4-wheel disc brakes standard! I don't recall seeing that fact in earlier info on the '06 Accent. Perhaps it is a reaction to Honda making ABS standard on all of their cars, including the new Fit that will compete directly with the Accent. Anyway, that's a lot of safety equipment for such a low priced car. I hope they also make active head restraints standard. They do note that there will be adjustable head restraints for all passengers--something not even the '06 Sonata has.
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    I think Hyundai has a great opportunity to hype its safety features as Honda as done. The 'Volvoization' of Honda with their 'SAFETY FOR EVERYONE' campaign will always make it seem as if Honda's will always be more safe than a Hyundai, even if test scores say otherwise.
    Well, the only problem right now... is that test scores DONT say otherwise. None of the Hyundais right now are among the class leaders in IIHS tests, though the untested Tucson and new Sonata have potential.

~alpha