Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Engine Swaps

Comments

• Options
    hondaslayerhondaslayer Member Posts: 1
    Is it posssoble to put a 16 valve honda engine into a 12 valve honda civic DX. if anyone has any info on this engine swap e-mail me. I have lots of pictures but no awnsers.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    We need a little more info, like what year/style. A D-series 16 valve ususally gets pulled out for a B or K series motor, but if you have an old school Civic, getting someone's pulled D-series motor will be cheap.
    If you are contemplating doing this, you need to get the factory (not Haynes) service manual for both cars (yours and the engine donor). If you are serious, you should do the research on how to do it and not ask a bunch of flakey internet people.
  • Options
    redlancer02redlancer02 Member Posts: 7
    is it possible to swap out a 4g94 16 valve sohc with a 6a12 mivec 24 valve dohc..??
  • Options
    dfeickedfeicke Member Posts: 1
    I recently acquired a 2000 Nissan Frontier, 4 cly. auto. The engine and trans are worn out, and I was thinking about a V-8 swap. I really don't have a preference on make, but would like it to be as straightforward as possible. I know the Ford V-8 is a little bit smaller size-wise, but believe the engine bay of the Nissan will handle most small blocks. I'd like to swap engine and trans. Anyone had experience with this? Any kits already available? Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    89civichb89civichb Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what types of motors I can fit in my 89 civic hatchback dx without changing the motor mounts. I am hoping to get a jdm integra type r or gsr motor into it. I put 94 integra fenders, hood, and front bumper on it so I want to put an integra motor on.
  • Options
    vonnervonner Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys a while back there was some talk about a nissan 240sx small block chevy engine swap kit. Does anyone know the manufacturer of this kit and where i can purchase one?
  • Options
    gsrteg101gsrteg101 Member Posts: 1
    What would be the best JDM engine for a 96' acura integra Gsr.....i was thinking of a K20a but i want to hear your opinion?
  • Options
    jaggedjagged Member Posts: 2
    what would be the best engine to put in a honda accord to make it go fast?????
  • Options
    jaggedjagged Member Posts: 2
    does a b22 sound good??
  • Options
    gvlwi15gvlwi15 Member Posts: 1
    dude that guy does not know what he is selling, your right it doesn't come turbo-charged the 2003 gli's only came with the VR6 engine with i believe 200hp, i have a 2004 gli and that comes with the 1.8t,recaros,gli logo along the door panel, and on the outside it has the gli logo in red both front and back, as well as the sports wheels and the red calipers, basically they only sold the 2004 GLI 1.8t here in the US and the 2005 GLI was still produce in europe and some people had their 05 GLI imported into the US but the 03 GLI was just the VR6 and it comes with nothing really sporty but the engine and leather still a nice car but no turbo 03 only 04-05. i hope i answered ur Q:
  • Options
    smuelsmuel Member Posts: 1
    For a 2002 Golf Gti, is it possible to put a vr6 in place of a 1.8T, and still use the turbocharger from the 1.8? Or am I better of just hoping to find a R32 :(
  • Options
    civic04lxcivic04lx Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what engines can fit in a 04 honda civic that have at least 190hp or more
  • Options
    civic04lxcivic04lx Member Posts: 2
    im thinking of putting an rsx type s engine or a 3.2 cl type s engine if it can fit in my car
  • Options
    southerngirlncsoutherngirlnc Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone happen to know if a 87-89 prelude motor will fit into a 96-99 integra? My boyfriend and my family race at a local track in NC and they are trying to build me a racecar but being picky wont race anything except something foreign and the integra has a 16 valve engine and is DOHC and it has to be a SOHC with 12 valve for the Ucar Division!! PLEASE HELP! :confuse:
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    i don't have an answer to your question ... but i'm just wondering ... wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just use an 87-89 prelude to race in the first place? All the money you save by NOT destroying a 96-99 integra could be used to make the prelude handle like a go-cart.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fiero1fiero1 Member Posts: 2
    wats wrong with puting chevy motors in imports nothing it just makes it fun. i got a 93 honda prelude and im puting a 350 in it. wats the overkill
  • Options
    cookislandercookislander Member Posts: 1
    I have a '63 Cheverolet Impala that I dropped a 97 vortec 5.7L engine into with a 4l60e trans. I have heard different opinions on a correct fuel pump. I understand that the new engine needs a certain amount of psi in the lines to work. I have heard that an in-line fuel will work, but have also heard that I need to cut my tank open and weld a fuel pump inside in order for it to operate. Question: Which one will work? Which is more economical? Thanks
  • Options
    wsweazeywsweazey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 jetta wolfsburg 2.0 how hard is it to put a vr6 in that car? is there much to it?
  • Options
    mikelleomikelleo Member Posts: 1
    I own an 1987 VW Golf and I am interested in taking a newer VR6 engine and swapping it with my engin in my 87 golf. What would I have to change about my 87 to put a VR6 in it? It may be time consuming, but I am still interested in doin it..
    Any help would be great. :confuse:
  • Options
    duffy89duffy89 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know about Tercels?
    What engine could fit a 94 toyota tercel
    email me if you can thanks
    duffy89@mchsi.com
  • Options
    golfvr6gonegolfvr6gone Member Posts: 1
    mate u may as well just sell ur golf and buy a vr6 it would be so much easyer and save u loads or money, thats my opinon
  • Options
    adiwiartoadiwiarto Member Posts: 1
    I own an 2000 VW Golf and I am interested in taking an used engine (include crankshaft, piston, con rod, etc.) and swapping it because my engine (type AEH) was broken.
    Any help would be appreciate. :cry:
  • Options
    n0jb0yn0jb0y Member Posts: 3
    hi, i hav a 2004 nissan sentra 1.8s .. and i was wondering what kind of engine i can swap or put in it that would be pretty quick horespower wise ...
  • Options
    Well, the best and easiest thing you can do is trade it in for a 2.5s.

If you want to go all out and get a better suspension and brakes, along with the engine upgrade, find yourself a V-spec to trade for.

It will save you money now AND give you better resale value down the road.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ok so i cant really swap the engine then huh?
  • Options
    i didn't say that. i just gave you your best, easiest, and most effective option.

• Options
    dmix347dmix347 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1995 Mitsubishi eclipse GS, I’m wanting to drop a turbo engine under $8000…. I have done body upgrade and interior upgrade. All that’s left to do is the engine…I was thinking of putting the 4g63 GSX Eclipse engine with a Greddy turbo? I’ve heard that the 4g63 engine swap will not last? That might be false information but I’m wanting to know if that would be the best fit and if not what could I put instead? I’m trying to hit 550Hp or +…Any suggestions or advice would be great! Thanx
  • Options
    mrcuevasmrcuevas Member Posts: 1
    hey,

sorry i don't have any info for you... simply because i plan on doing the same thing to my frontier when i get the money for it!

could you please let me know how it works/worked out for you? or if you've already received info on cost, time, kits, etc.. that would be much appreciated, too.

thanks! any info you have would be great...

-rommel
  • Options
    dmix347dmix347 Member Posts: 2
    I have only a few price listing for my Eclipse(Im not sure about your frontier)...
    Greddy Turbo 10lbs (designed for 95 eclipse) $2,500.00
    4G63 Re-built engine $1,800.00
    Greddy Intercooler w/ pipes $650.00
    Injen Cold Air Intake $200.00
    There is more depending on what amount of horses your trying to run(my eclipse is going from GS---To GSX so I have to buy the upgrades + the Turbo ECU and Turbo Injectors and ect.)

If anyone has any advice for me ....I’m wanting to drop a turbo engine under $8000….I was thinking of putting the 4g63 GSX Eclipse engine with a Greddy turbo? I’ve heard that the 4g63 engine swap will not last? That might be false information but I’m wanting to know if that would be the best fit and if not what could I put instead? I’m trying to hit 550Hp or +…Any suggestions or advice would be great! Thanx
  • Options
    dc3bryandc3bryan Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a similiar swap, 4.0 w/4spd auto into a 1987 YJ. I can get all the wirinig and computer but am not sure about what mods are needed to wiring? Is there a manual available that makes the "spark chasing" user friendly?

Suggestions and input appreciated.

Bryan
  • Options
    defn1eardefn1ear Member Posts: 5

fdiggar,

VW doesn't want you messing with the tranny so they sealed them ! Only to be done by Stealerships or the like. Your better off letting them do it anyway. For 35 bucks call it money well spent, its a bit difficult for DIY'S with no lift. And you can get your motor-oil changed while your there. :shades:

Hope this helps u!,
    DeFn1EaR---
  • Options
    defn1eardefn1ear Member Posts: 5
    3499guy,

Assuming you have a jetta/golf.

The VR was a good engine. I have a friend who tuned one to over 700hp and ran tens, but also consider the aspirated 1.8 Liter turbo 20 valve VW powerplant. With both motors having about the same availability and cost depending who you talk too & where you shop. Its lighter and you get almost the same horses as the 6. And they seem to be plentiful right now!
    The driver and weight dispersment inevitably make the difference in this case, The hp ratio is so close.
    Theres also now (if found) on the 2005s + 06s the 2.0 liter turbo on newer VWs. 200 hp stock. Then you can upgrade that. Cost will be a matter of luck and searching, but be ready to spend some ca$h. I have heard it all, from one buddy getting a vr6 for 200$ bucks to a $2500-$3500 crate 1.8 L motor. Another guy got a 20 Valve to get rid of the car for the owner. People wreck and destroy cars everyday even if there brand new. Do your homework & maybe you'll luck out on a donor.

Hope this helps,

DefN1EaR

And most importantly Have lots of
    Fun.
  • Options
    mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    If you can get everything out of another YJ, the job will go more smoothly. If you are able to do that, then get the entire underhood wiring harness. That way you will replace everything and the harness will simply plug into the fuse block at the firewall. The only complete manual I know of is a factory service manual.
  • Options
    o .. ok thanks ... but if you can let me know what engine can fit i would apreciate it . thanks
  • Options
    philly500philly500 Member Posts: 2
    my 69 caddy conv.s 472 is dead i'm looking to drop in a later model olds big block can it be done? i know that in late models it can any feedback would be helpful.
  • Options
    tex10tex10 Member Posts: 27
    i have a 05 dodge ram 1500 4 door 2wd truck. i have 4.7 liter magnum V8 in it. is their a way but more power in motor. i cant find any thing for this motor. i was thinking about stuffing a 360,383,440. i dont think i could stuff 440 but if can i will. what kind emissions equipment would i need get keep it up to date. i would love keep can same motor but theirs no performance parts get. if i do the motor swap what should i do for a transmission?
    i have just a need to do this. :shades:
  • Options
    vdubridervdubrider Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 12V VR6 Jetta. It's got lots of miles and i would like to swap the engine anyways for the 24V VR6. Is this possible and what would have to be changed if anything? Also where would i puchase a crate engine like this?
  • Options
    vdubridervdubrider Member Posts: 2
    dude i found a forum that is way more intune than this one. the guy just before me doesn't know what he is even talking about. after talking to people you could never get 700hp out of a VR6. the best bet is to go for the 24v VR6 engine swap or spend alot of money on the 12v. i think i'm gonna go for spending the bucks on the 12v,rebuilding it that way it has better parts to withstand the power you're adding to it, i don't know much about this right now, so hopefully someone will post something thats logical, i'm still interested in the 12v to 24v engine swap but i have no idea what that would consist of so please give me an idea.
  • Options
    Wouldn't trading it for a Hemi-powered one be cheaper? Not to mention you'd at least have a warranty, unlike the '05 you'd be messing with.

• Options
    sacxivsacxiv Member Posts: 8
    I have recently installed a re-built Ford 1984 302 Police package engine in a '67 Mustang coupe. Car originally had a 289/C4. Transmission was not rebuilt as there was no problems. Engine ran smooth on dyno but now, installed in the car, there is a vibration. I have replaced the harmonic (and everything elese on the front-end) but the vibrations is still there. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    vibration at idle or only when moving?

If when moving,
    What attention did you pay to driveshaft balancing?

If at idle--which flywheel did you use?
  • Options
    Vibration is there are idle, car not moving, drive shaft removed. Flywheel is the original flywheel. Although I am told that a flywheel for the new engine is different than the original, when I talked to a Ford dealer they told me that the flywheel is the same for both.
  • Options
    So you have the same flywheel that came with the replacement engine...not your old flywheel, is that right?

When the engine was on the dyno, did you have accessories hooked up, with belts driven, etc...?
  • Options
    130dr130dr Member Posts: 3
    A friend of mine has asked me to help him put the engine/trans from a wrecked 1996 Nissan 200SX into a 1983 Nissan/Datsun Sentra. Anybody ever heard of this kind of thing working out successfully? I know it will be quite a bit of work, but im willing to try anything for the sake of turning some wrenches on a Saturday afternoon (or 20). Just kind of curious what im about to get myself into.
  • Options
    The flywheel in the car now is the original. I was told by Ford that it would work. A visual inspection does not show any cracks, the balance is in place and there is no sign of unusual ware.

We had everything on the engine when it was on the dyno. We have removed everything as a test in the car and still have the vibration.

My next step is swapping the flywheel and the orgque converter but I feel like I am shooting in the dark. Don't mind doing the work but I don't want to do something that is not needed.

Thanks for any advice that you have
  • Options
    Well it's like this. First you have to figure out what is now IN the motor/trans assembly that was not IN the motor/trans asssembly when it was on the dyno. Make that list and let's see what we've got going on here.

This might include different fan, different accessories, different flywheel, torque converter, whatever.
  • Options
    Sounds like a monstrous job. How talented are you with fabrication? First of all you need to figure out the engine/transmission matchup issues, which really needs to be done on a bench with the transmission out too. Then you'd better measure if this engine will fit with the hood closed. Then you need to work on engine mounts and how you are going to design an exhaust to clear everything.

I'd say mucho homework before you even turn a wrench. if you have to fabricate a bell housing, well....good luck...

In theory, you can put any engine in any car, but time and money and skill are required in abundance.

Think it out first before you jump in. You might have to cruise the INternet to see if anyone has gone before you into this dark night.
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply. The only thing that is different from the dyno to the car is the Trans and the flywheel. Belts, pullies, fan, alternator, etc. are all the same.

The vibration is there when the transmission is in park or when it is in gear, under load and NOT under load. We even took off front "moving parts" except the harmonic balancer and still had the SAME vibration.

As far as I can tell, the only things that are moving now that were not on the dyno are the flywheel, the torque converter and the front transmission pumb.

One more thing, there are no signs of transmission or seal failure.

Again, thanks for your assistance.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how you solve the flywheel issue but that would be my first try. I wonder if a lightened aftermarket flywheel would be worth the effort?
  • Options
    130dr130dr Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the feedback. I have already thought about engine and trans matchup/underhood fit issues, exhaust, computer, shift linkage (going from auto to 5 speed), clutch, axles, etc... As for fabrication, no talent at all here...but i know some real talented people that will work for beer!!! I was hoping someone here had undertaken a similar headache.