Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
edited February 2014 in Lexus
Share your purchasing experiences here!

kirstie_h
Roving Host
Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• dpjdpj Member Posts: 16
    I am hoping there are some recent purchase or lease quotes in the Southern CA area for the GS300 with ML/Nav, etc. (the $50,209 MSRP) package. The best I have seen was $47,995 or $666 + tax and licensing with 0.0017 lease factor, $21,589 residual, $2,000 drive off, 15,000 miles/year and 48 months.

Thanks!
  • cmd1cmd1 Member Posts: 2
    Recent purchase quotes I received in the Atlanta area for the GS300 Level 2 package with ML/NAV were $50,409.00. Needless to say I could not get any dealerships to go lower than MSRP in the Atlanta area. I then went to Automotive Experts of Stuart in Florida and received a purchase quote of $2500.00 off MSRP plus satellite radio install. They then delivered the vehicle to my residence for an additional $300.00. Hope this helps someone!

2006 GS300 Level 2 ML/NAV
    Mercury Metallic/black interior
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Congratulations, but weren't there some risks with that purchase? What if the car was not equipped as you ordered, or a different color, or had several hundred miles on it, or damaged, etc? What protections do you have?
  • cmd1cmd1 Member Posts: 2
    A good friend who has purchased a couple of vehicles from this dealer recommended them to me. The individual I dealt with took my order with the specifications I wanted. In fact, once I placed my order with him and negotiated the price he was able to tell me the date the specified vehicle would arrived at the Jacksonville Port and when the vehicle would be ready for delivery. They guaranteed that the vehicle I ordered would be the vehicle I received. Of course I had the option of taking a flight to West Palm from Atlanta to inspect the vehicle before pickup but I opted to have the vehicle shipped. When the transport company brought the vehicle to my home I inspected the vehicle for damage and miles before I signed any paperwork. When I took possession of vehicle it had less than 35 miles on it. Total time between contacting this dealer and receipt of vehicle 10 days.
    Sounds good. Happy ending. They paid for shipping, I assume.

How do you like the car, by the way? I assume it's RWD.
  • hotshotengrhotshotengr Member Posts: 4
    I haven't purchased my 2006 GS300 RWD yet, but the car I am considering is fully loaded, I went through the internet asking for quotes and then e-mailed the lowest quoting dealer to refine and clarify options, etc. I then ran my own calculations using a spreadsheet program I got on carbuyingtips.com which you can download for free (Copy the following then paste): http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm?x=0kqe_q_ufonxw1&y=Wed%252525252525252520Apr%2525252- 5252525252027%25252525252525252021%25252525252525253A41%25252525252525253A21%2525252525252- 525202005

You can see why!!! Then I contacted the dealer and re negotiated for a better deal over the phony. Where you buy a car is not as important as how you buy a car. Do your homework, know their lingo, talk with authority, and don't let them try and snow you with fuzzy math, have a target price in mind (determined from the speadsheet), and be firm on price and flexible on options. Don't think invoice, think dealers cost!!!!
    There is a big difference!!! dealers cost = INVOICE minus the following [ 0.02 (MSRP) + (FACTORY INCENTIVES) + (FLOORPLAN FEES)] . All dealerships can make a profit on as little as 3% above their dealer cost. Use Kelly Blue Book to establish invoice and MSRP values. The free speadsheet I talked about will do all the calculations for you. My final price was $5000+ dollars under MSRP!!!!!!
    DONT' ASK ME TO TELL YOU WHO I CONTACTED. Just read what's on the internet page I gave you and GOOD LUCK.
  • samusamu Member Posts: 8
    I am looking for a new gs300 but the price seams a little high when compared to the price of the old gs. by anychance could anyone tell me what price they were offered for a gs. any help is appreciated. tahnks.
  • lexusjoelexusjoe Member Posts: 6
    Hello. Got my flint mica/black, rwd, no nav package for $42k + tax & lic about 3 weeks ago in the Los Angeles area. No trade in. Joe
    Joe,

Congrats. I imagine you got miscellaneous options that they throw in like ventilated seats, run-flats, premium pack (basically mats!), etc. What dealer was it in L.A.?
  • otguyotguy Member Posts: 37
    Last week I made some calls to various SF Bay Area dealers from SJ to SAC for a 2006 GS 300 RWD level 2 (MSRP $50,209) - the one with NAV&ML. Quotes ranged from $46.5k to $48.2k. Driving by some dealers I have noticed increasing inventory at some dealers, especially Putnam in Pleasanton and Serramonte. I want to make a purchase, but am willing to wait a few months till I can get one for $45k ($2k over Consumer Reports Wholesale Price).

I'd appreciate a post from anyone with more SF Bay Area pricing or inventory info. Also, does anyone have any Dealer Cost data for the Bay Area?

Thanks in advance.

otguy
  • lexusjoelexusjoe Member Posts: 6
    I got mine at South Bay Lexus. Most options except nav - run flats don't come on RWD model here. I see where they are coming in now with the parking assist package - it wasn't on when I purchased, but does add about $500 to MSRP price.
  • samusamu Member Posts: 8
    thanks lexusjoe for the help. i will be emailing the dealers shortly and posting my findings.
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    You must mean 0.00270 Money Factor.

I was under the impression that the lowest rate available for a GS leases is 0.00225. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
    Kelley Blue Book shows invoice at 37752.
    Edmunds shows invoice at 36465.

Why the discrepancy?
    Please start posting deal specifics: i.e. MSRP, options, negotiated price, cap cost, money down, money factor, junk fees, dealership (though you can't post the dealer's name), etc.

The sticker for the base car is over $6000 more than the invoice ($42.9K vs. $36.5K). The only way we're all going to get good deals is if we start sharing information.

So lets get this thing going!!!!
    I sent Kirstie a request to expand the forum from exclusively GS 300: Prices Paid & Buying Experience to GS 300/430: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

Hopefully, she has that cability and we'll be able to get more info through this forum.
  • kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    "Please start posting deal specifics: i.e. MSRP, options, negotiated price, cap cost, money down, money factor, junk fees, dealership (though you can't post the dealer's name), etc"

FYI...you can name the Dealer just not specific names of salespeople that dealt with.
  • speedracer24speedracer24 Member Posts: 2
    It looks like some of you are getting $2-3K under MSRP in the east/west coast. Would anyone in the Chicagoland area like to share their purchase prices? I'm interested in a black GS300 AWD w/NAV but no ML, but any trim would help. From what I've been told this color/option combo is hard to get. Also, how's the Costco prices like for these cars?
    You shouldn't have a problem getting AWD in Chicago; 85-90% of the 300s coming into the region are AWD. Check the Lexus website with your zip code to see whether they are coming in with NAV but w/o ML. I can't recall.

Try McGrath Lexus in Westmont for price; let me know if they're flexible on price.
  • madaboutcarsmadaboutcars Member Posts: 3
    Hello all.

I am seeking a GS300 AWD without navigation. The dealers in Chicago (McGrath, Orland Park) are quoting MSRP only. I can not pay msrp but I want this car!

I uncovered an advertisement by lease-by-tel (www.leasefax.com) that seems to be offering very attractive lease options on new cars.

Is anybody familiar with this program? If yes, any suggestions/pitfalls?

I am appreciative of any/all input.

Paul D.
    I'm surprised the Chicago dealers you contacted (McGrath) are selling the 300 AWD for sticker. California and Florida dealers reported on this board are selling for $3,000 off sticker, plus or minus.

My advice is to e-mail every dealer in the Chicago area and see if you can find someone who's flexible. Let me know.
  • madaboutcarsmadaboutcars Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I have began emailing other dealers. I was brought up to never pay full price!

Sincerely, Paul D.
    I'm also in the Chicago area and may want to buy a GS300 in the next few weeks, so I'm curious what you're going to find. I want a RWD which may be harder to find, because only about 10% of the GS shipped to this region are RWD.

I certainly won't pay sticker for the car, knowing that they are available in California sharply discounted. Someone on this board bought one in Florida and had it shipped to his home somewhere in the midwest, I believe. It worked out fine and he saved big bucks, despite the shipping cost. If necessary, I'll do the same, or go to California (where I go often anyway), and buy it there.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Hey Florida1. You mentioned that you got a 3 year, 36,000 mile lease on the GS430 through JM Lexus. I spoke with JM Lexus this morning. In order for me to get a comparable deal, they want to know your name and the particulars of your deal:the MSRP, the capitalized cost, the money factor, the residual, the monthly payment,etc;
    I have listed my e-mail address under my profile if you would be so kind as to share your name and lease details with me so I can get back to JM Lexus.
    Also, I know there are other members interested in your deal, so if you could, please post the general particulars of your deal.
    Thank you.
    hpowders
  • speedracer24speedracer24 Member Posts: 2
    I think the problem is not that AWDs aren't available. It's just not readily available with the color/option combo that I want. I've used Lexus.com to email dealerships and have gotten pretty much the same responses... MSRP or they want you to contact them/come in. As you have suggested, I've contacted McGrath. Their best offer, without actually going into the dealership, is $900 off MSRP. Again, not in the color/option I want.

What's available in McGrath is white/black and black/black, both with NAV. At Arlington Lexus they have, Flint Mica w/ Black leather, Glacier Frost w/ Ash leather, and Black Onyx w/ Black leather, all in AWD. Costco program (Woodfield Lexus) wasn't much help.

The bottom line, if you're flexible with color/option combo, I think you can get a couple of grand off MSRP. I'm just not willing to sacrifice my choice... yet.
    Maybe if you actually went to the dealerships they would be more willing to bargain. They may feel you're just shopping price and will ask your favorite dealer to match what they quote. As far as colors and options, dealers can access inventory coming in and at other dealers and will usually agree to trade to get what you want. But it doesn't look like Chicago dealers are nearly as willing to bargain on price as in California or Florida. This is discouraging.
    You want to know why you can't get any discounts from MSRP on the GS430 or a decent leasing deal?
    According to Toyota, GS430 sales are up 367% for the month of May.
    up 367% compared to what? April '05 or May '04? I suspect the latter. The reason is obviously because last year's 430 was 7 years or so old. They're obviously selling well, but that figure distorts it. Similarly, sales of the new RL are probably up 500% over last year, because last year's RL was a dinosaur. Still, sales are disappointing and discounts are rampant.
  • lexi300lexi300 Member Posts: 36
    I picked up a 2006 GS300 AWD today, nicely equipped (although no nav or ML audio), MSRP $47,829 (including destination charge). Deal I ended up with was $3000 less than sticker. This is approximatley $2000 or a little more over invoice.

This was in VA, outside DC.

I had to go personally to several dealers to get this deal. Many would quote just $500 or less off of MSRP, and even after I walked out, I didn't get callbacks.

The deal I got, I got by first sending in an internet quote request, getting them to say $3000 off was a possibility, going there and finding out they'd only do about $2200 off, and then walking out.

They waited about 20 min, and then called me on my cell phone while I was on my way home, asking me to come back.

The car had just come into the dealership last night, and was in detail when I first saw it this AM. They only had two GS300 AWDs in stock. They kept claiming they moved out as fast as they moved in, and I believe 'em. But they'd stolen me away from two other Lexus dealers closer to me, and I think they probably liked that I warmed to ther service department and said I would make the extra trip for future service.

Moral of the story: As is said elsewhere here, negotiate UP from invoice, not down from MSRP. Show 'em you're serious, but don't be afraid to walk. Let them know you'd drive away right away, but that you have reliable transportation and are willing to wait until the car price cools off a bit. They'll tell you that they could sell the car to the next Joe for full sticker, but remind 'em that the more they sell, the more Lexus gives them to sell.

And good luck!
    I'll confirm bartalk3's comments about RL pricing and availability.

I went with the GS300 AWD (see previous post). But I'd been looking at the Acura RL. It's nice, but a bit boring. I was EASILY able to get multiple dealers to talk $3000 - $4000 below MSRP, and multiple dealers had plenty of RLs in stock. Despite the RL being a technological marvel, my impression is that it is not selling. I think as the model year winds down, Acura will be giving these cars away.
  • kazoostkazoost Member Posts: 2
    FYI-
    I test drove a GS300 AWD yesterday in western Michigan. Great car, I think it lacks a little bit in handling compared to other cars I'm testing, but then again, Lexus is more about luxery first. Overall very impressed.

I asked the dealer what I would be looking at for a realistic walk out the door price for the AWD with nav and most other options except for the ML premium stereo (MSRP right around $50k). He told me they are strictly selling at MSRP. I told him that I was reading that other people across the country were getting $2-4k off sticker. He said their policy was to not break below sticker price unless someone brought in a lower, valid quote from a competing dealer. Then they would consider coming off of MSRP to compete for your business (although I got the impression that getting $3k off sticker would be a challenge). He tried to impress me with the fact that they had an agreement with Lexus to not sell above sticker, which some other dealers are purportedly doing (his words, not mine).

Unfortunately, there's only one Lexus dealer in western Michigan, so there really isn't any competition. I like the GS, but not enough to pay MSRP. I presume things would be different if I was shopping in New York, LA or the like where there are multiple dealers within close proximity to one another. Oh well.
    Sorry to hear your story. One fellow on the Lexus board bought from a dealer in Florida and had it shipped to his home somewhere in the midwest, I believe, and still saved a bundle. Would you be willing to do that?
    Got a 2006 GS 430.
    MSRP $53804
    Paid $ 49580
    36 month lease
    36,000 miles
    nothing down
    $700/month.
    When you're :)
    the whole world :) with you.....
    hpowders: Where did you get this great deal?
    Wilde Lexus of Sarasota in Florida.
    If you are interested, click on my profile, e-mail me and I will give you the salesman's name.
    After I took a test drive with this fellow, I was very impressed with his knowledge and relaxing, no- pressure demeanor.
    I took a chance 2 days ago and e-mailed 8 Lexus Dealers in Florida. I told them I want to pay $700 a month max., nothing down for 36 months. The total deals I got back varied from high(Tampa Bay Lexus)to low(Wilde Lexus of Sarasota) by get this, a whopping $7265 over the terms of the leases!
    Wilde Lexus of Sarasota honored my request right on the button!
    Let's here it one more time:
    When you're :)'in
    the whole world :)'s with you....
  • amoviefan1amoviefan1 Member Posts: 24
    I put a deposit down today on a GS300 RWD with Mark Levinson and the Navigation System plus cargo net, etc. The Sticker was $50,409. I got it for $46,000 plus tax, title, license and documentation fee. (No trade-in.) That's $4409 off sticker. I'm pretty happy. I pick it up in 2 weeks.

The key to getting a good price in the Bay Area (after my hours of phone calls) is to hope that your color combo is available or at least coming in soon and also being able to talk to 5 to 7 dealers for the best price. If you want a GS300 WITHOUT navigation or Mark Levinson, you should easily be able to get a great deal. If you have a hard to find color combo, you'll probably pay at least $47,000 to $48,500 (if you negotiate strongly).
    moviefan: Which Bay area dealer gave you that great deal? Serramonte?
    Yes, bartalk. You guessed it! Have you had any experience with them? Anything I should carfeul of?
    moviefan:

I haven't had any personal experience with Serramonte myself, but awhile back on the GS300 thread someone else mentioned that he had gotten a great deal there. So I took a wild guess. You might look for his note, probably a month or two or more back. He seemed completely satisfied.

Please let me know what your experience is. I'm in the midwest where dealers are apparently selling for sticker or close, and if I can't get a better deal here, I may actually arrange something with Serramonte or some other California dealer and have it shipped to me or just pick it up on one of my frequent trips to the coast.
  • otguyotguy Member Posts: 37
    moviefan1:

Congratulations! Your deal and negotiating experience sounds similar to mine. I put $1,000 down at Oakland Collesieum Lexus for a....
    Model = GS 300 RWD with NAV&ML
    MSPR = $50,409
    Purchase Price = $46k plus fees.

I thought $46k was a super deal till I learned that you got the same. Still, I think it's a good price and I'm cool with it.

Oakland estimated that it would be 2 two 6 weeks to get the color we want - mercury metallic with grey/ash interior. No dealer financing and no trade-in.

Once we figured out exactly which model and color we wanted, I started calling all the Bay Area dealers and asked to speak to the the sales manager. A relative in the new car business told me you always pay more if you walk into a dealership because the dealer has to give a cut to a salesperson. Sometimes I got to speak with the sales manager, but often I was punted to the internet sales manager. Oakland was not competitive at first, but they came through in the end with a good price. Serramonte and Concord started off the most competitive. I thought I was going with Concord till Oakland surprised me. If for some reason Oakland does not come through as promised, I'll head back to Concord or Serramonte. What color are you getting?

otguy
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Please do not offer to exchange information about salespeople in these discussions.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

OT,
    I'm getting Black with Black Leather and Walnut Trim.
    Way to negotiate OT!
  • jonesok1jonesok1 Member Posts: 97
    Picked up my new GS430 today. Silver/Black Non Navi (I HATE Navi as I live in a rural area and know every road within 300 miles and it's a bother to turn it off every time I start the car). Sticker was $53,804 and I paid about $3800 under MSRP.

Very nice ride.
    Jones: Where did you buy? Many areas of the country are not budging off sticker for the 430.
  • jonesok1jonesok1 Member Posts: 97
    I promised the sales manager that I wouldn't disclose the dealer because he did discount it for me. I posted the price here to let everyone know that not all GS430's go for list if you have a decent dealer and can work the deal a bit. I've bought cars from them before so we had a pre-existing relationship that I'm sure helped bring the price down from MSRP. The salesman told me I was the only one they've sold a 430 below MSRP so far.
  • cartalk1cartalk1 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone willing to share their buying experience on a GS300 AWD WITHOUT NAV/ML? MSRP is $47,419. I'm in NJ and wondering if I should be able to get anything off list and if so, how much.
  • howardg1howardg1 Member Posts: 14
    Cartalk, I purchased the exact same vehicle in April, GS 300 AWD no Nav/ML, sticker was $47,419, and negotiated $3,419 off. Purchase price $44,000, no trade-in and no financing. I shopped several dealers for about 3 months, and finally was able to work this deal at the dealer in Rockville, MD. I did have an internet quote from Lexus of Annapolis offering $44,800, which helped a lot, and negotiated from there. It was a car they had in stock, and apparently anyone on their "waiting list" that wanted Silver/black, wanted the Nav. Good luck, try e-mailing all local dealers and see what offers you get. Then go from there.
    What color(s) interior/exterior are you interested in?
    Note my earlier post. I negotiated $3000 off a GS300 AWD without NAV/ML. Mine had ventilated seats, spoiler, wheel locks, and a few other things. The sticker was just over $48,000. Dealer was Lindsay Lexus, Alexandria VA.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Note my earlier post. I negotiated $3000 off a GS300 AWD without NAV/ML. Mine had ventilated seats, spoiler, wheel locks, and a few other things. The sticker was just over $48,000.

How successful can negotiating with Lexus from Invoice up (as opposed to MSRP down) be? :confuse: I am shopping the GS300 vs. the M35 (also looking at the RL) and was astonished to see an ~$8000 markup on the GS300 vs. a $4000 markup on the M35 :surprise: Therefore $3000 off MSRP on the GS is still more than the M35 MSRP :confuse:

I am well aware of Lexus' reputation for customer service; but I suppose for double the markup over Infiniti the customer service SHOULD be better - your paying for it. :blush: